Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Uk Productivity increase biggest for 6 years

Jump to newest

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

The UK has just seen the biggest rise in productivity output for the past 6 years. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that productivity in the UK increased by 0.9% during the 3rd quarter of 2017, with manufacturing and financial services leading the way. Funny how productivity flatlined and stagnated in the UK before the Brexit vote and before article 50 was triggered, now it has seen the biggest rise in 6 years in the latter part of 2017. Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think the UK had become complacent while in the EU, and the Brexit vote has shaken things up. The Uk government has taken direct action to tackle stagnating productivity with its Industrial strategy and UK companies are starting to seriously address the productivity problem in the UK.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

[Removed by poster at 07/01/18 17:52:36]

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"The UK has just seen the biggest rise in productivity output for the past 6 years. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that productivity in the UK increased by 0.9% during the 3rd quarter of 2017, with manufacturing and financial services leading the way. Funny how productivity flatlined and stagnated in the UK before the Brexit vote and before article 50 was triggered, now it has seen the biggest rise in 6 years in the latter part of 2017. Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think the UK had become complacent while in the EU, and the Brexit vote has shaken things up. The Uk government has taken direct action to tackle stagnating productivity with its Industrial strategy and UK companies are starting to seriously address the productivity problem in the UK. "

I hope you're right but there really isn't any reason why the action being taken now couldn't have been taken years ago. After all, as you constantly remind people when they ask you to show the benefits of BREXIT, we haven't actually left yet.

By *ilent.KnightMan
over a year ago

Swindon

This is the first quarter growth since brexit.

I’m not denying it’s good news. But to claim it is brexit related is a bit premature.

It is also a flash estimate which have a degree of error. So also bit premature to make like for like claims against actual results. That said it may be actual are even better.

Finally it’s productivity is measured as GDP per hour worked. Given the two aren’t instantaneously changeable it’s not a great measure for a q on q comparison.

GDP is up 0.4%. Which looks average to light compared to previous years. Hours worked is down 0.5%. Which is what drives the total increase being a *record*. I’ve not deconstructed the numbers but it feels like workers may be down although This conflicts will the last state I think I looked at so my maths may be bad !

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Well if Centaurs posting it then we really need to look at the source to see how much of it is actually true.

Oh look, the actual predicted productivity growth was actually double what it was and productivity growth in the UK has been the lowest its been since the 1820s.

But if Centaurs theory that the EU is to blame for some reason maybe Germany and France are also suffering from producitivity just as low....nope France and Germany have outperformed the UK every single quarter for the last decade.

So into the detail of why productivity is improving? Are the fundamentals of the economy stronger? Nope. Productivity increased because of a fall in the number of people employed. Britains economic growth stayed low and hasnt improved but less people working pushes the productivity stat higher.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Well if Centaurs posting it then we really need to look at the source to see how much of it is actually true.

Oh look, the actual predicted productivity growth was actually double what it was and productivity growth in the UK has been the lowest its been since the 1820s.

But if Centaurs theory that the EU is to blame for some reason maybe Germany and France are also suffering from producitivity just as low....nope France and Germany have outperformed the UK every single quarter for the last decade.

So into the detail of why productivity is improving? Are the fundamentals of the economy stronger? Nope. Productivity increased because of a fall in the number of people employed. Britains economic growth stayed low and hasnt improved but less people working pushes the productivity stat higher."

Hike I often disagree with Centy.... on this you seem to have missed his point. Our productivity has been flat for a decade...inside the EU...while Germany and France have improved (Italy/Spain/Greece have fallen off a cliff at the same time btw). His point is that since Brexit became a reality it has, for the first time in a decade, gone up.....

There may or may not be a link....but it is a fact!

over a year ago

And employment has NOT fallen....it has risen again.

By *ilent.KnightMan
over a year ago

Swindon

"Well if Centaurs posting it then we really need to look at the source to see how much of it is actually true.

So into the detail of why productivity is improving? Are the fundamentals of the economy stronger? Nope. Productivity increased because of a fall in the number of people employed. Britains economic growth stayed low and hasnt improved but less people working pushes the productivity stat higher.

Hike I often disagree with Centy.... on this you seem to have missed his point. Our productivity has been flat for a decade...inside the EU...while Germany and France have improved (Italy/Spain/Greece have fallen off a cliff at the same time btw). His point is that since Brexit became a reality it has, for the first time in a decade, gone up.....

There may or may not be a link....but it is a fact! "

Other than it’s not a fact. It’s the first time it has gone up since .... q4 2016.

It’s predicted to be the biggest increase in 8 years. But off the back of three poor quarters it’s only just recovered the losses

Source : ONS

over a year ago

Q4 2016 was insignificantly tiny.... as any fluctuations for last ten years have been.

This is first significant uptrend for ages!

As I also said....it’s hard to defend centy.... but his post this time is correct.

As I also said there may or may not be a causal link to Brexit vote/article 50 or anything else.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

It is an improvement but its still far below what was predicted and it couldnt be any worse since it was already the worst its been since the 1820s when they were recovering from the Napoeleanic wars. Which means that even through and in the aftermath of both world wars and other global recessions it was better.

Its a minor improvement on dire and historically terrible performance. It basically had to improve at some stage. And its only an improvement because the work hours decreased.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"And employment has NOT fallen....it has risen again."

Philip Shaw, chief economist at City bank Investec, said falling numbers of people entering the workforce and fewer hours worked were also key reasons for the gains. When fewer people work fewer hours but economic output holds steady, efficiency levels naturally rise, he said.

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

"It is an improvement but its still far below what was predicted and it couldnt be any worse since it was already the worst its been since the 1820s when they were recovering from the Napoeleanic wars. Which means that even through and in the aftermath of both world wars and other global recessions it was better.

Its a minor improvement on dire and historically terrible performance. It basically had to improve at some stage. And its only an improvement because the work hours decreased."

The UK economy has performed better than what was predicted. The World Bank predicted the UK economy would grow by 1.2% and the IMF and the OECD both predicted the UK economy would grow by 1.5%, all of them turned out to be wrong, the UK economy actually grew by 1.8% so is higher than what those organisations predicted. Richard Tice, of the Leave means Leave campaign group said, "It is extraordinary how far off the mark these organisations have been".

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Going from the fastest growing economy in the EU to the slowest is a win in Centaur's book.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"It is an improvement but its still far below what was predicted and it couldnt be any worse since it was already the worst its been since the 1820s when they were recovering from the Napoeleanic wars. Which means that even through and in the aftermath of both world wars and other global recessions it was better.

Its a minor improvement on dire and historically terrible performance. It basically had to improve at some stage. And its only an improvement because the work hours decreased.

The UK economy has performed better than what was predicted. The World Bank predicted the UK economy would grow by 1.2% and the IMF and the OECD both predicted the UK economy would grow by 1.5%, all of them turned out to be wrong, the UK economy actually grew by 1.8% so is higher than what those organisations predicted. Richard Tice, of the Leave means Leave campaign group said, "It is extraordinary how far off the mark these organisations have been". "

Nothing to say on the fact that the bump in productivity was due to less hours being worked? Is that just going to be a blindspot for you like the £11bn the Tories didnt include in the divorce payment?

The OECD never had 1.5% as a prediction for UK growth, it was 1.6% as compared to the actual 1.8%. If you think its pedantic to quibble about 0.1% Ill remind you that your previous post said 0.2% difference was unbelievably off the mark.

The world bank had it at 1.2% in January and revised it to 1.7% at the end of May. So they ended up 0.1% off.

And while those predictions were slightly off the key point is how far the UKs economy has stagnated since the Brexit vote. Worst growth in the G7 and in the EU.

over a year ago

To proclaim good growth in the first quarter (measured from productivity from oct-jan is that correct?) is to base your findings upon traditionally the best period for growth.

Every sector can gain in winter. Tech for new flashy products, agriculture and retail due to the amount of product demanded on mass, let alone value, pharma due to the demand of winter cold ailments.

I hope youre right in that industry is responding to part of the brexit vote which was - we your employees feel like we are getting the short end of the stick, but given the competitiveness of geopolitics, I imagine companies are quietly assessing whether the gains and losses to be expected over the next 2-5 years.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The UK has just seen the biggest rise in productivity output for the past 6 years. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that productivity in the UK increased by 0.9% during the 3rd quarter of 2017, with manufacturing and financial services leading the way. Funny how productivity flatlined and stagnated in the UK before the Brexit vote and before article 50 was triggered, now it has seen the biggest rise in 6 years in the latter part of 2017. Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think the UK had become complacent while in the EU, and the Brexit vote has shaken things up. The Uk government has taken direct action to tackle stagnating productivity with its Industrial strategy and UK companies are starting to seriously address the productivity problem in the UK. "

That is one way to look at it...

You could also look at it as being the first mark of how the devaluation of the pound kicked in after brexit.. and in effect made UK products cheaper to export

Problem for us mere mortals... we are a net importer, which means that everything coming into the country went up in price.. yey!

I am really beginning to think centy likes watching poorer and middle income people suffer for his brexit

over a year ago

"The UK has just seen the biggest rise in productivity output for the past 6 years. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that productivity in the UK increased by 0.9% during the 3rd quarter of 2017, with manufacturing and financial services leading the way. Funny how productivity flatlined and stagnated in the UK before the Brexit vote and before article 50 was triggered, now it has seen the biggest rise in 6 years in the latter part of 2017. Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think the UK had become complacent while in the EU, and the Brexit vote has shaken things up. The Uk government has taken direct action to tackle stagnating productivity with its Industrial strategy and UK companies are starting to seriously address the productivity problem in the UK.

You could also look at it as being the first mark of how the devaluation of the pound kicked in after brexit.. and in effect made UK products cheaper to export

Problem for us mere mortals... we are a net importer, which means that everything coming into the country went up in price.. yey!

I am really beginning to think centy likes watching poorer and middle income people suffer for his brexit "

Because hes one of these swivel eyed brexiters that would cut his arm off for brexit and claim it was good for him....a bit like theres a farm near me on another thread wtf

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

"The UK has just seen the biggest rise in productivity output for the past 6 years. Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that productivity in the UK increased by 0.9% during the 3rd quarter of 2017, with manufacturing and financial services leading the way. Funny how productivity flatlined and stagnated in the UK before the Brexit vote and before article 50 was triggered, now it has seen the biggest rise in 6 years in the latter part of 2017. Is it just a coincidence? I don't think so, I think the UK had become complacent while in the EU, and the Brexit vote has shaken things up. The Uk government has taken direct action to tackle stagnating productivity with its Industrial strategy and UK companies are starting to seriously address the productivity problem in the UK.

I am really beginning to think centy likes watching poorer and middle income people suffer for his brexit

Because hes one of these swivel eyed brexiters that would cut his arm off for brexit and claim it was good for him....a bit like theres a farm near me on another thread wtf "

swivel eyed brexitiers aw well atleast you didn't mention the big red bus lmfao

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Or just maybe or

UK productivity has been so utterly dismal absolutely awful nigh on rock bottom that the only direction was up

And that up was not even 1 percent

The damm country is fed get rich quick , I'm singer make me rich , I'm on big brother make me rich , I can be a footballer make me rich , 888 bet hills national health lottery

Many Bragg about how little they can get away with doing in a work environment, so many looking for a short cut or scam for wealth

As we lose our European friends our productivity will drag along the floor still and the talk in the pubs will be blaming everyone else

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS
over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

I think Brexit will be great for productivity.

Come the inevitable hard brexit, people will forced to work more hours for less pay and rights. It can only mean more goods available in the marketplace.

They'll patriotically work their fingers to the bone to make Brexit Britain grate again.

Brexit bulldog out.

over a year ago

"I think Brexit will be great for productivity.

Come the inevitable hard brexit, people will forced to work more hours for less pay and rights. It can only mean more goods available in the marketplace.

They'll patriotically work their fingers to the bone to make Brexit Britain grate again.

Brexit bulldog out. "

Yeah no more sat watching Jeremy Kyle on morning TV

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

Or just maybe or

UK productivity has been so utterly dismal absolutely awful nigh on rock bottom that the only direction was up

And that up was not even 1 percent

The damm country is fed get rich quick , I'm singer make me rich , I'm on big brother make me rich , I can be a footballer make me rich , 888 bet hills national health lottery

Many Bragg about how little they can get away with doing in a work environment, so many looking for a short cut or scam for wealth

As we lose our European friends our productivity will drag along the floor still and the talk in the pubs will be blaming everyone else

You tak like other eu countries don't av reality shows lotteries rich footballers and people wanting to get rich quick it's not only a uk problem and iv never heard a word in any pub about brexit I'd avoid them if I did u need to use a different pub mate

"

By *entaur_UK OP   Man
over a year ago

Cannock

Brexit bulldog out.

Yeah no more sat watching Jeremy Kyle on morning TV "

You seem like the type of person who would be on Jeremy Kyle rather than watching it.

over a year ago

Brexit bulldog out.

Yeah no more sat watching Jeremy Kyle on morning TV

You seem like the type of person who would be on Jeremy Kyle rather than watching it. "

loooooool more dreaming from you

By *ilent.KnightMan
over a year ago

Swindon

"Q4 2016 was insignificantly tiny.... as any fluctuations for last ten years have been.

This is first significant uptrend for ages!

As I also said....it’s hard to defend centy.... but his post this time is correct.

As I also said there may or may not be a causal link to Brexit vote/article 50 or anything else."

it was negative half a percent. And the index is only just above where it was.

My point is unless you say the downs are brexit you can’t claim the ups. And vice versus.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

well done uk keep it up and truck on .....we will survive ....well done uk

Post new Message to Thread