Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Home bias and the disease of hyperirrationalism

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For my sins I just went down the rabbit hole and spent 30 mins reading some Twitter exchanges. I don't use it so it's like peeking behind the curtain and wishing you didn't.

I can see where some of my favourite foes here "oh my God, literally" got contaminated with a strain of the "you didn't just say (insert overdramatic misinterpretation here)" disease.

Anyway two points struck me

1. An obsession with the minutiae of what happens in Hollywood (quasi home bias of the familiar) relative to all the bad things that are going on in the world everyday.

2. A lost generation who try to control each others thinking with supply/demand forces of likes and retweets

The loudest answer is the right answer in a species bred for societal acceptance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uxinteriorMan
over a year ago

south west , continental

Couldn't agree more, never had a desire to go there or even look, it's a sad reflection on what's important to some today. Created with all the best intentions but soon morped into a machiavellian monster, Modern life eh!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I detwitterised myself months ago, trump and brexit finished me off on there

over a year ago

The bit I forgot to say is that when people have decided that Meryl Streep and Matt Damon are the worst in the world it's a sign that they should look for better enemies.

over a year ago

One of the few/only sensible things I ever heard Cameron say..... “Too many tweets make you a twat” (actually he left the obvious last word unsaid). But he was bang on!

over a year ago

"I went to look at things I knew I already disagreed with for no reason other than to confirm what I already believed and after thirty minutes I achieved that"

Why, it's a Christmas miracle!

over a year ago

""I went to look at things I knew I already disagreed with for no reason other than to confirm what I already believed and after thirty minutes I achieved that"

Why, it's a Christmas miracle!"

.. Is that why you came here to troll my thread?

How cute

over a year ago

More to question what its purpose is, beyond being utterly naked self congratulation.

over a year ago

What's your purpose John?

over a year ago

Now now, let's not distract from the premise of this thread, your brave foray into maintaining your prejudices.

over a year ago

What about your prejudices John?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 13:26:31]

over a year ago

"Now now, let's not distract from the premise of this thread, your brave foray into maintaining your prejudices."

And what is this but a deliberate distraction?

You should embrace the season of goodwill and not be so angry, obstructive and obstinate all the time.

May you have happy holidays, live well and prosper

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/12/17 13:36:05]

over a year ago

But first, more brave tales of how you ventured into twitter, determined to leave it with your mind unchanged... And the amazing feats that allowed you to do so!

We've been looking for a modern tale on par with Heston's biblical epic, the twelve commandments, and I think we may have just found it.

over a year ago

Who mentioned not changing minds?

Why seek any information if not to affect the globe of neuroplasticity upstairs?

over a year ago

"What about your prejudices John? "

He hasn't got any! It's just anybody who disagrees with him that has bias

over a year ago

"Who mentioned not changing minds?

Why seek any information if not to affect the globe of neuroplasticity upstairs?

"

Don't sell yourself short! You ventured into twitter, certain you'd find nothing that would change your mind, and you still believe that!

It's a tale for the ages.

Hey. When this gets turned into a major motion picture, who do you think they'll get to play you?

over a year ago

"What about your prejudices John? .

He hasn't got any! It's just anybody who disagrees with him that has bias "

Now now, no hanging on coat tails.

over a year ago

The Banksy of trolling

over a year ago

According to Tom Postmes, a professor of social and organisational psychology at the universities of Exeter, England, and Groningen, The Netherlands, and the author of Individuality and the Group, who has studied online behavior for 20 years, "Trolls aspire to violence, to the level of trouble they can cause in an environment. They want it to kick off. They want to promote antipathetic emotions of disgust and outrage, which morbidly gives them a sense of pleasure."

over a year ago

"

Hey. When this gets turned into a major motion picture, who do you think they'll get to play you?"

Are you OK?... We are just shooting the breeze here. There will be no movie... This is real life brother... random shite talk on the Internet just as a distraction and to occasionally learn something.

How strong are your delusions of grandeur?

Do you see yourself as the hero?

over a year ago

Now now, no hanging on coat tails."

I'm agreeing with him.

Your the world's worst hypocrite, you never stop banging on about bias but are full of bias, you never stop banging on about hate but your full of hate... You offer lots of criticism but very rarely solutions, when you do their typical always extremist solutions while at the same time banging on about the trouble with right wing extremists, basically your an adult Antifa member

over a year ago

"

Hey. When this gets turned into a major motion picture, who do you think they'll get to play you?

Are you OK?... We are just shooting the breeze here. There will be no movie... This is real life brother... random shite talk on the Internet just as a distraction and to occasionally learn something.

How strong are your delusions of grandeur?

Do you see yourself as the hero? "

Hey. Come on, you were so brave to go to go and seek to have your preconceptions reinforced. I mean, you clearly thought so to, even if you're putting on the shy act now.

Why tell us of your fantastic adventure if you didn't want to be congratulated for it.

And don't worry, there's no way this singular epic of personal non discovery will ever be forgotten.

over a year ago

Now now, no hanging on coat tails..

I'm agreeing with him.

Your the world's worst hypocrite, you never stop banging on about bias but are full of bias, you never stop banging on about hate but your full of hate... You offer lots of criticism but very rarely solutions, when you do their typical always extremist solutions while at the same time banging on about the trouble with right wing extremists, basically your an adult Antifa member"

Well, Antifa are pretty great, so thanks!

over a year ago

Now now, no hanging on coat tails..

I'm agreeing with him.

Your the world's worst hypocrite, you never stop banging on about bias but are full of bias, you never stop banging on about hate but your full of hate... You offer lots of criticism but very rarely solutions, when you do their typical always extremist solutions while at the same time banging on about the trouble with right wing extremists, basically your an adult Antifa member

Well, Antifa are pretty great, so thanks!"

Thing is they'll grow and have a reasonable chance of turning out normal....I'm not sure what life holds for you but it won't be pretty with all the hate you carry with you

over a year ago

It's true, I am exactly that. Very astute.

You must be awfully clever to have such a perfect picture of someone you've never met or interacted with.

I wish I could be like you when I grow up!

over a year ago

"It's true, I am exactly that. Very astute.

You must be awfully clever to have such a perfect picture of someone you've never met or interacted with.

I wish I could be like you when I grow up!"

Had a few too many eggnogs already? You seem extra triggered today.

Anyway, like anyone else I posted a topic to try to promote discussion.... not self congratulation... Which is exactly what you are doing now!!

You are a puzzling phenomenon for sure.

Now grow up and stop trying to derail every topic please.

over a year ago

"For my sins I just went down the rabbit hole and spent 30 mins reading some Twitter exchanges. I don't use it so it's like peeking behind the curtain and wishing you didn't.

I can see where some of my favourite foes here "oh my God, literally" got contaminated with a strain of the "you didn't just say (insert overdramatic misinterpretation here)" disease.

1. An obsession with the minutiae of what happens in Hollywood (quasi home bias of the familiar) relative to all the bad things that are going on in the world everyday.

2. A lost generation who try to control each others thinking with supply/demand forces of likes and retweets

The loudest answer is the right answer in a species bred for societal acceptance. "

Before I can reply, I'll have to consult my Oxford English dictionary

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

2. A lost generation who try to control each others thinking with supply/demand forces of likes and retweets "

1. People have always been more interested in what famous people do or say. It's human nature and not specific to Twitter.

2. People have always acted in ways to reinforce/police other people's opinions. What do you think an outlet like the Daily Mail is but a method of trying to promote/enforce conservative values? And I don't Twitter, but I understand there's plenty of conservative and 'alt right' types on there.

So congrats, you've discovered that people are overly interested in celebrities, and that they try to influence others.

And you've thrown the word 'quasi' in unnecessarily

over a year ago

"It's true, I am exactly that. Very astute.

I wish I could be like you when I grow up!

Had a few too many eggnogs already? You seem extra triggered today.

Anyway, like anyone else I posted a topic to try to promote discussion.... not self congratulation... Which is exactly what you are doing now!!

You are a puzzling phenomenon for sure.

Now grow up and stop trying to derail every topic please. "

Disgusting.

What kind of person drinks eggnog?

And I'm not sure what kind of discussion you were expecting to foster with the amazing tale of how you've succeed in continuing to believe what you already did.

over a year ago

Ah John, if you are going to keep banging on you could at least change the tune once in a while.

We heard (and ignored) you the first time.

over a year ago

"

1. People have always been more interested in what famous people do or say. It's human nature and not specific to Twitter.

So congrats, you've discovered that people are overly interested in celebrities, and that they try to influence others.

"

Fair point, the difference is that all these whacktivists are becoming militant about what is said instead of just interested.

If you are going on a righteous quest, find a worthwhile one.

over a year ago

I have no idea what a militant whacktivist looks like or thinks.

I'm guessing their liberals and are young but to be fair. I haven't a fecking clue.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

Fair point, the difference is that all these whacktivists are becoming militant about what is said instead of just interested.

If you are going on a righteous quest, find a worthwhile one. "

Well, again you're just describing basic human behaviour. People get passionate and strident about the topics they are interested in. It's not limited to lefties on Twitter.

As an example we've just had Tory MPs getting actual death threats for daring to vote against the government. To me that's 'militant'.

over a year ago

Celebrities being the object of hatred just for having opinions seems like a relatively new though.

Maybe not?

It's very "meta".

over a year ago

"Celebrities being the object of hatred just for having opinions seems like a relatively new though.

Maybe not?

It's very "meta". "

I bet it went on in Rome.There has always been a culture of building people up then tearing them down.

over a year ago

"Ah John, if you are going to keep banging on you could at least change the tune once in a while.

We heard (and ignored) you the first time.

"

If you're ignoring me, then who on earth are you responding to?

over a year ago

"Celebrities being the object of hatred just for having opinions seems like a relatively new though.

Maybe not?

It's very "meta". I bet it went on in Rome.There has always been a culture of building people up then tearing them down."

The brothers Gracchi, for a start.

Post new Message to Thread