Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Gender neutral announcements

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The 'ladies and gentlemen' greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.

London Underground staff have been told to say 'hello everyone' in an effort to become more gender-neutral. TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt 'welcome'.

Is it really necessary to change announcements to make them gender- neutral?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Hello everyone is shorter and faster. Whats your objection?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hello everyone is shorter and faster. Whats your objection?"

Where was he objecting? He asked a question? Jeez you must be a barrel of laughs on a night out, I bet you could start an argument in a telephone box. And the answer to his question is no, it's not necessary.

over a year ago

How about oi! ffs what wrong with ladies and gentlemen

The of brigade again I suppose

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"The 'ladies and gentlemen' greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.

London Underground staff have been told to say 'hello everyone' in an effort to become more gender-neutral. TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt 'welcome'.

Is it really necessary to change announcements to make them gender- neutral?"

i don't get it.your either a bloke or a woman?

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"Hello everyone is shorter and faster. Whats your objection?

Where was he objecting? He asked a question? Jeez you must be a barrel of laughs on a night out, I bet you could start an argument in a telephone box. And the answer to his question is no, it's not necessary. "

Well if no one objects I guess we can all just carry on with our day instead of worrying about the phrasing of a train announcement. TfL can say what they like if its not offending anyone.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Valid point about being shorter and faster.

However, 'ladies and gentlemen' is hardly unwelcoming.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

cant they say, ello my lovers, bristol style

over a year ago

Parody is dead.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Hello fellow humans ? Will folk with pets object ?

over a year ago

I reckon it should just blare "Ey' up ye Southern Jessies, grab a cuppa and actually chat for once."

over a year ago

"The 'ladies and gentlemen' greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.

I think the reason is fucking stupid but hey ho

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Is it really necessary to change announcements to make them gender- neutral?i don't get it.your either a bloke or a woman?"

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

I think you have to muster up a lot of energy to actually object to this.

If they want the trans community to feel included by such a samll gesture then fair play to them.

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

No it is stupid in my view.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"I think you have to muster up a lot of energy to actually object to this.

If they want the trans community to feel included by such a samll gesture then fair play to them. "

No, this change of greeting is an affront to traditional values and Britishness. It is PC gone MAD!!!! Never before has anyone used the greeting "Hello everyone". It is sacreligious, unnatural and a massive imposition to both the workers and the passengers who have to listen to it.

Mothers will have to cover their childrens ears, veterans will weep openly on the trains and Britain itself will implode when that first greeting of "Hello everyone" is broadcast.

Or maybe its a greeting and if they hadnt announced it no one would notice and no one would give a fuck.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Hello everyone is shorter and faster. Whats your objection?"

Firstly it is not faster. Secondly it is the sort of greeting you give when you enter a room where you personally know everyone and are of similar status or friends. It is not how you greet customers or clients, there you either use their title and name if known, sir or madam if an individual or ladies and gentlemen if a group.

It is called courtesy and manners.

over a year ago

TfL may start announcements with greetings of some sort.

Shorter still is not bothering. Most station announcements elsewhere dispense with this...just stating (e.g.) " The next train to arrive at platform three is......"

I don't pass through a London that often....I've never really noticed how they prefix announcements. For me they should just drop it if they want to make them shorter.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"Hello everyone is shorter and faster. Whats your objection?

Firstly it is not faster. Secondly it is the sort of greeting you give when you enter a room where you personally know everyone and are of similar status or friends. It is not how you greet customers or clients, there you either use their title and name if known, sir or madam if an individual or ladies and gentlemen if a group.

It is called courtesy and manners. "

Its 1 word and 1 syllable shorter

And maybe in your day thats how it worked but your days long since passed. When I greet groups customers or staff Id absolutely use the phrase hi everyone.

But in your day we respected our elders, kids stayed off your grass and walked 16 miles in the snow to school.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"TfL may start announcements with greetings of some sort.

Shorter still is not bothering. Most station announcements elsewhere dispense with this...just stating (e.g.) " The next train to arrive at platform three is......"

I don't pass through a London that often....I've never really noticed how they prefix announcements. For me they should just drop it if they want to make them shorter."

When you're packing them in like sardines on both the trains and platforms to the point that regularly you have to shut the station entrances during peak periods (note not rush hour because it starts at 7.30/8 ends found 10/10.30, starts again round 3.30 and continues well into the evening) tempers get frayed...

Good manners and a little servility from those providing what is in reality a pisspoor service can defuse a lot of anger whereas treating an already irate customer with the sort of familiarity you would a friend or acquaintance is pretty much guaranteed to add insult to injury...

I expect that underground staff will be finding themselves subject to a lot more abuse and physical assaults because of this change.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"And maybe in your day thats how it worked but your days long since passed. When I greet groups customers or staff Id absolutely use the phrase hi everyone.

But in your day we respected our elders, kids stayed off your grass and walked 16 miles in the snow to school. "

And we helped little old ladies cross the road rather than beating them up to steal their pension...

Respect is very underrated and respect starts with how whe address one another.

over a year ago

"I think you have to muster up a lot of energy to actually object to this.

If they want the trans community to feel included by such a samll gesture then fair play to them. "

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Well I definitely don't like 'hello everyone' and don't really see anything wrong with 'Ladies and Gentlemen'.

Am I going to loose any sleep over it either way? NO; I've already spent more time than the subject is worth reading this thread and writing this post.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Many things aren't essential but aren't really an issue - this seems a fine change.

A simple announcement that will get to the actual details of the message quicker. Any swivel eyed types wanting to fight change probably would froth about the Titanic trying to change course to miss a huge bloody iceberg, because they were comfortable as they were

over a year ago

Good morning citizens and guests.

And forget the whole gender issue.

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Is it really necessary to change announcements to make them gender- neutral?i don't get it.your either a bloke or a woman?

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now."

recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman.

over a year ago

Is it really necessary to change announcements to make them gender- neutral?i don't get it.your either a bloke or a woman?

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman."

What about hermaphrodites .They dont fit your boxes.

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman. What about hermaphrodites .They dont fit your boxes."

gezz Google is your friend.go do a 5 min research and you will find plenty of studies from well known neurologic scientists that will shed more light on the subject for you.p.c culture is just alot of pandering opinions. science goes by facts and reapeted studies.You are trying to compare a physical birth defect with culture and what people like/chose to do.so again recognized as what though, as you are either a man or women from birth.I don't care about stupid train announcements and what people want to call themselves and I respect people as people just don't expect me to turn my back on science and logic to pander or pretend for others.

over a year ago

In this day and age why is gender of relevance when makingvan announcement about getting into a train I am truly

In terms of greeting I am yet to see someone walk up to a stranger and say 'Hello gentleman ' or 'Hello lady'. It is normally 'Hello'.

Possibly people are missing the days when announcements stated 'Ladies and gentlemen of this realm and others, knights, squires and serfs'

over a year ago

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman. What about hermaphrodites .They dont fit your boxes.gezz Google is your friend.go do a 5 min research and you will find plenty of studies from well known neurologic scientists that will shed more light on the subject for you.p.c culture is just alot of pandering opinions. science goes by facts and reapeted studies.You are trying to compare a physical birth defect with culture and what people like/chose to do.so again recognized as what though, as you are either a man or women from birth.I don't care about stupid train announcements and what people want to call themselves and I respect people as people just don't expect me to turn my back on science and logic to pander or pretend for others."

Its psychological weather you see yourself as male or female.Last time i checked psychology is based on evidence.Its not the pc pandering you wish it to be.

There is an actual third gender. That is true hermaphroditism. Some humans are true hermaphrodites. The most common cause of this? 2 eggs fusing, 1 male and 1 female before they start differentiation.

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female.

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman. What about hermaphrodites .They dont fit your boxes.gezz Google is your friend.go do a 5 min research and you will find plenty of studies from well known neurologic scientists that will shed more light on the subject for you.p.c culture is just alot of pandering opinions. science goes by facts and reapeted studies.You are trying to compare a physical birth defect with culture and what people like/chose to do.so again recognized as what though, as you are either a man or women from birth.I don't care about stupid train announcements and what people want to call themselves and I respect people as people just don't expect me to turn my back on science and logic to pander or pretend for others. Its psychological weather you see yourself as male or female.Last time i checked psychology is based on evidence.Its not the pc pandering you wish it to be.

There is an actual third gender. That is true hermaphroditism. Some humans are true hermaphrodites. The most common cause of this? 2 eggs fusing, 1 male and 1 female before they start differentiation.

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female. "

of course it's psychological weather you look at yourself as a man or woman that's my point but that dosent mean you are. (again basic biology ).You keep going on about hermaphrodites but again that is a birth defect and has nothing to do with transgender or the subject we are talking about.go look up a guy called ben Shapiro on transgender on you tube and let him educate you.if you don't like what he says I can then point you In the direction of some well known neurologists also.

over a year ago

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman. What about hermaphrodites .They dont fit your boxes.gezz Google is your friend.go do a 5 min research and you will find plenty of studies from well known neurologic scientists that will shed more light on the subject for you.p.c culture is just alot of pandering opinions. science goes by facts and reapeted studies.You are trying to compare a physical birth defect with culture and what people like/chose to do.so again recognized as what though, as you are either a man or women from birth.I don't care about stupid train announcements and what people want to call themselves and I respect people as people just don't expect me to turn my back on science and logic to pander or pretend for others. Its psychological weather you see yourself as male or female.Last time i checked psychology is based on evidence.Its not the pc pandering you wish it to be.

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female. of course it's psychological weather you look at yourself as a man or woman that's my point but that dosent mean you are. (again basic biology ).You keep going on about hermaphrodites but again that is a birth defect and has nothing to do with transgender or the subject we are talking about.go look up a guy called ben Shapiro on transgender on you tube and let him educate you.if you don't like what he says I can then point you In the direction of some well known neurologists also."

Actually you said there was no third sex.When there is.I dont get why your getting upset over a train announcement.Are you reffering to ben shapiro who writes for breitbart the far right extremist group.If so i can see why your panties are in a twist . I wont be watching his vids..

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female. of course it's psychological weather you look at yourself as a man or woman that's my point but that dosent mean you are. (again basic biology ).You keep going on about hermaphrodites but again that is a birth defect and has nothing to do with transgender or the subject we are talking about.go look up a guy called ben Shapiro on transgender on you tube and let him educate you.if you don't like what he says I can then point you In the direction of some well known neurologists also. Actually you said there was no third sex.When there is.I dont get why your getting upset over a train announcement.Are you reffering to ben shapiro who writes for breitbart the far right extremist group.If so i can see why your panties are in a twist . I wont be watching his vids.. "

again you are trying to say people with are a birth defect is a third gender (basic knowledge of evolution debunks that)are you for real lol.and no you are thinking of the wrong guy I may have spelt his last name wrong but a YouTube search will find him. but I take it you won't want to do a little research anyway as instead of wanting to do some critical thinking and a little research you would rather reapet "but hermapradites" u then come across so narrow minded.my original comment stated I don't give a shit about train announcements I was just puzzeld as I don't see a fuss about gender as there are only male or female then you started the whole hermaphrodite is a third gender nonsense.panties are in no twist infact narrow minded dudes with no grasp of critical thinking who can't even Google something before spouting rubbish if anything makes me feel far not intelligent than I actually am lol.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

" I was just puzzeld as I don't see a fuss about gender as there are only male or female then you started the whole hermaphrodite is a third gender nonsense.panties are in no twist infact narrow minded dudes with no grasp of critical thinking who can't even Google something before spouting rubbish if anything makes me feel far not intelligent than I actually am lol."

There's a difference between sex and gender.

And there exist people who don't identify as being male or female. It doesn't really matter what science says (although there is plenty to suggest gender is a spectrum), this announcement is just basic consideration towards people like that.

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

" I was just puzzeld as I don't see a fuss about gender as there are only male or female then you started the whole hermaphrodite is a third gender nonsense.panties are in no twist infact narrow minded dudes with no grasp of critical thinking who can't even Google something before spouting rubbish if anything makes me feel far not intelligent than I actually am lol.

There's a difference between sex and gender.

And there exist people who don't identify as being male or female. It doesn't really matter what science says (although there is plenty to suggest gender is a spectrum), this announcement is just basic consideration towards people like that. "

can't dissagree with that.

over a year ago

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female. of course it's psychological weather you look at yourself as a man or woman that's my point but that dosent mean you are. (again basic biology ).You keep going on about hermaphrodites but again that is a birth defect and has nothing to do with transgender or the subject we are talking about.go look up a guy called ben Shapiro on transgender on you tube and let him educate you.if you don't like what he says I can then point you In the direction of some well known neurologists also. Actually you said there was no third sex.When there is.I dont get why your getting upset over a train announcement.Are you reffering to ben shapiro who writes for breitbart the far right extremist group.If so i can see why your panties are in a twist . I wont be watching his vids.. again you are trying to say people with are a birth defect is a third gender (basic knowledge of evolution debunks that)are you for real lol.and no you are thinking of the wrong guy I may have spelt his last name wrong but a YouTube search will find him. but I take it you won't want to do a little research anyway as instead of wanting to do some critical thinking and a little research you would rather reapet "but hermapradites" u then come across so narrow minded.my original comment stated I don't give a shit about train announcements I was just puzzeld as I don't see a fuss about gender as there are only male or female then you started the whole hermaphrodite is a third gender nonsense.panties are in no twist infact narrow minded dudes with no grasp of critical thinking who can't even Google something before spouting rubbish if anything makes me feel far not intelligent than I actually am lol."

Its the same Shapiro. I Googled him.Far right breitbart author.I couldn't read much of what you wrote its incomprehensible.

over a year ago

These have both male and female characteristics and so they can't be classified as either male or female. "

I see your point but we don't adjust the entire physical realm to accommodate giants or dwarfs.

I think it's stupid. I'd prefer if they took the cameras out of my face!

over a year ago

Shapiro is quote astute and not that right wing from what I've seen

over a year ago

"Shapiro is quote astute and not that right wing from what I've seen "
The huff compared him to a nazi propagandist.They are a little left though. I doubt hes that far right he was editor of breitbart and thats right of the republican party.Fair to say there are few people right of him in the USA.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

Not in the eyes of the law anymore. The Transgender and Uncertain communities have as much right to be recognised now.recognized as what though? It's simple biology.You are either a man or a woman."

Absolutley incorrect. Where did you study Biology?

By *uxinteriorMan
over a year ago

south west , continental

Hold on a moment I'm not getting this, when I passed my A level biology, I can not recall studying gender neutral. Biologically your either born male or female. Then I guess after that if your identify with the opposite sex that makes you transgendered. I have no issues here. Someone needs to explain this too me about the neutral bit.

I have heard of hermaphrodites, but then again being born with the two lots of genitalia I would imagine you would identify with being male or female as well.

Where did this term come from? I've never heard of it? Crikey I must be getting old!

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Hold on a moment I'm not getting this, when I passed my A level biology, I can not recall studying gender neutral. Biologically your either born male or female. Then I guess after that if your identify with the opposite sex that makes you transgendered. I have no issues here. Someone needs to explain this too me about the neutral bit.

I have heard of hermaphrodites, but then again being born with the two lots of genitalia I would imagine you would identify with being male or female as well.

Where did this term come from? I've never heard of it? Crikey I must be getting old!"

There's a difference between sex - your biological bits, and gender - the traits that are associated with male/female.

So you can be biologically male but feel like your gender is female. but people can also feel like traditional male or female traits don't mean anything to them at all,and prefer to consider themselves gender neutral.

over a year ago

It is political correctness gone mad. I dont see why they have to change it as the majority wins, soon other silly laws have to be changed to no daubt lol.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

"It is political correctness gone mad. I dont see why they have to change it as the majority wins, soon other silly laws have to be changed to no daubt lol."

Saying "Hello everyone" isnt madness. Neither is it a law. Nor does it inconvenience anyone.

over a year ago

"It is political correctness gone mad. I dont see why they have to change it as the majority wins, soon other silly laws have to be changed to no daubt lol.

Saying "Hello everyone" isnt madness. Neither is it a law. Nor does it inconvenience anyone."

But why now and not years ago?.

By *abfemaleWoman
over a year ago

NEAR Windsor Berkshire

but if you're a transgender surely your either a man or a woman ???? and if you're uncertain and havn't taken 'the step' then you're still either a man or woman or am i beind daft

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Newbury

"Hold on a moment I'm not getting this, when I passed my A level biology, I can not recall studying gender neutral. Biologically your either born male or female. Then I guess after that if your identify with the opposite sex that makes you transgendered. I have no issues here. Someone needs to explain this too me about the neutral bit.

Where did this term come from? I've never heard of it? Crikey I must be getting old!"

You have a biology A-Level and you don't understand that gender isn't an either/or?

Blimey. That's almost like saying that you are either a carnivore or a herbivore, biology doesn't often present us with absolutes.

Animals (and plants) that are fully dioecious (ie have two separate genders) tend to have a gender at birth (or germination) based on the germ cells of the parent, XX being female, XY being male. Hormonal pathways during development will control the development of sex organs associated with (usually) the gender at birth. It is these hormones, however that control the expression of gender as an adult (as far as I'm awayre, hermaphrodites are also born as genetically male or female). In some creatures (fish contain many examples of this) environmental stimuli can cause hormonal changes that lead to previously male (or female) animals changing gender these can be natural - many secies of fish exist as a majority female population with a few males, when a male dies, a female might chnge gender to become male or man made - women flushing the contraceptive pill have caused extensive gender reversal in natural fish populations, creating alot of artificial females, which has led to breeding problems.

In humans, if somebody wishes to change gender, the first treatment is often a hormonal one, which starts the development of the physical characteristics of the gender of choice.

There really is no reason not to suppose then that slight variations in hormone levels during development can lead to development of gender traits not asociated with the gender of birth. This is not to say that it is an "imbalance" or a "disease" as it sems to have been happening well back along the timeline of human development. It may, of course be psychological, or, of course a combination of both psychological and hormonal factors.

It is an entirely a societal, artifical construct to malign people for this, and if we can make someones life a little easier by almost-no-effort gestures like this, then it seems like a pretty good idea to me.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"It is political correctness gone mad. I dont see why they have to change it as the majority wins, soon other silly laws have to be changed to no daubt lol.

Saying "Hello everyone" isnt madness. Neither is it a law. Nor does it inconvenience anyone.But why now and not years ago?."

Because society is continually developing,and these days becoming more aware of minority issues.

over a year ago

"Shapiro is quote astute and not that right wing from what I've seen The huff compared him to a nazi propagandist.They are a little left though. I doubt hes that far right he was editor of breitbart and thats right of the republican party.Fair to say there are few people right of him in the USA."

I was thinking about someone else, that Shapiro dude is a bit nuts.

Post new Message to Thread