Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

NI Abortion in England

Jump to newest

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already? "
Is the answer.

A)"Because it makes baby Jesus cry."

B) That under devolution, separate authorities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are responsible for providing free health services to those usually resident there.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already? "

Can english patients get free prescriptions in Wales ? NO

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

That's a very good question, as most of the ferries from Ireland land in Wales or Scotland.

Its a very sensitive issue, and I would only ever want what's best for the woman, but I hope we don't end up with the nonsense that surrounds some abortion clinics in some states of the USA.

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already? Is the answer.

A)"Because it makes baby Jesus cry."

B) That under devolution, separate authorities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are responsible for providing free health services to those usually resident there."

Do you believe that the MPs who voted on the amendment were solely from English constituencies?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

ready for the complicated answer....

the answer is they can already,

the problem is that because the abortion act doesn't apply to northern ireland, it in effect has to be done privately since the northern ireland nhs wont pay for it

in northern ireland abortion can only be done if the health of the mother is at risk of death.... they won't do it for example, in cases of sexual assults or if there are fetal abnormalities...

so.... the purpose behind the bill is two fold...

1) so that all parts of the uk in effect operate under the same law, (which is what the european court said)

2) the theory also being that because we are all UK taxpayers we should be entitled to all UK services...

because in effect health is a devolved issue.... what stella creasy act does is allow a uk government wide fund to be use for these women to get abortions without it coming out of funds to be used for nhs england patients....

I know there was a plan proposed by the scottish government to do in effect the same thing at one point.... i am not sure what happened to it.... maybe one of our scttish friends can comment....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already?

That's a very good question, as most of the ferries from Ireland land in Wales or Scotland.

Its a very sensitive issue, and I would only ever want what's best for the woman, but I hope we don't end up with the nonsense that surrounds some abortion clinics in some states of the USA."

over a year ago

And now they can. Stella has withdrawn her amendment.

over a year ago

"Why cant people from NI get NHS abortions in Wales or Scotland, or can they already?

Its a very sensitive issue, and I would only ever want what's best for the woman, but I hope we don't end up with the nonsense that surrounds some abortion clinics in some states of the USA."

Yeah like everybody takes a ferry these days

By *vsnikkiTV/TS
over a year ago

Limavady

Its a very sensitive issue, and I would only ever want what's best for the woman, but I hope we don't end up with the nonsense that surrounds some abortion clinics in some states of the USA..

Yeah like everybody takes a ferry these days "

In point of fact though there are as many ferry routes from NI to England as to Scotland. There are no ferries from NI to Wales.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Its a very sensitive issue, and I would only ever want what's best for the woman, but I hope we don't end up with the nonsense that surrounds some abortion clinics in some states of the USA..

In point of fact though there are as many ferry routes from NI to England as to Scotland. There are no ferries from NI to Wales. "

I said Ireland, not NI.

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

In point of fact though there are as many ferry routes from NI to England as to Scotland. There are no ferries from NI to Wales.

I said Ireland, not NI."

Different country, people from Ireland can't come for abortions on the NHS for free without comprehensive insurance. Not saying that you said that they could, just nipping it in the bud.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

I said Ireland, not NI.

Different country, people from Ireland can't come for abortions on the NHS for free without comprehensive insurance. Not saying that you said that they could, just nipping it in the bud."

No, but if someone could get a free abortion with a devolved health service in Wales or Scotland, then it may be easier for some from NI to travel direct to Holyhead or Stranraer, rather than going to Birkenhead.

By *LCC OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cambridge

I said Ireland, not NI.

Different country, people from Ireland can't come for abortions on the NHS for free without comprehensive insurance. Not saying that you said that they could, just nipping it in the bud.

No, but if someone could get a free abortion with a devolved health service in Wales or Scotland, then it may be easier for some from NI to travel direct to Holyhead or Stranraer, rather than going to Birkenhead."

According to morpork watch they can. I haven't see anything to support that though.

Post new Message to Thread