Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Paris aiming for 30,000 jobs boost from Brexit

Jump to newest

By *xplicitlyrics OP   Man
over a year ago

south dublin

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-paris-steal-banking-jobs-city-of-london-2017-2

Paris is working to secure 30,000 jobs from Londons finance sector, competing with Dublin and Frankfurt for the jobs. The companies theyre aiming for arent retail banking but investment banking.

HSBC has already said that Paris is their preferred destination for their new base of operations. But JP Morgan Chase has already got an established office here and they've already increased the number of jobs they're planning on shifting to the EU.

There looks to be some serious competition between Dublin,Frankfurt and Paris for these jobs and investment although Germanys been quieter of the 3.

Do people think it'll be an even spread between the 3 or is one going to dominate? And what happens to places like Bournemouth where these banks are the largest private employers of they shit down that office completely and move jobs to EU and consolidate the rest to their other offices in the UK?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If the UK loose passporting rights then it's bye bye lots and lots of jobs

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

That'll be interesting if Hamon gets voted in during the upcoming French elections.

One of his manifesto points is a 32 hour working week. Do Investment banks just operate Mondays to Thursdays?

over a year ago

That passport rights is the EU ace up its sleeve I think that is what will make the UK government bend over ..

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"That passport rights is the EU ace up its sleeve I think that is what will make the UK government bend over .."

An EU document leaked from an EU committee on Brexit from the European Parliament said that the EU should look to retain financial passporting rights with the city of London during the negotiations and after Brexit. The leaked EU document said it would severely damage EU members economies and the EU economy as a whole if they fail to get a deal on this. So I think it's actually an ace up Teresa May's sleeve.

over a year ago

south dublin

"That passport rights is the EU ace up its sleeve I think that is what will make the UK government bend over ..

An EU document leaked from an EU committee on Brexit from the European Parliament said that the EU should look to retain financial passporting rights with the city of London during the negotiations and after Brexit. The leaked EU document said it would severely damage EU members economies and the EU economy as a whole if they fail to get a deal on this. So I think it's actually an ace up Teresa May's sleeve. "

That was from December when most were anticipating a 'soft' Brexit instead of the 'hard' Brexit TM is pursuing.

And if France, Germany and Ireland are all making a play for those jobs and that investment who's going to advocate for you to get the passport for financial companies?

over a year ago

"That passport rights is the EU ace up its sleeve I think that is what will make the UK government bend over ..

An EU document leaked from an EU committee on Brexit from the European Parliament said that the EU should look to retain financial passporting rights with the city of London during the negotiations and after Brexit. The leaked EU document said it would severely damage EU members economies and the EU economy as a whole if they fail to get a deal on this. So I think it's actually an ace up Teresa May's sleeve. "

removing the passportingredients rights will make jobs move from london and into the eu ..that means those people will now be buying houses and paying tax into Eu countries which means less money for us and more for them now I'd say it's more an EU ace

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

From what I understand all the companies need to do is to establish an office in the EU at worst,if they move lock stock and barrel will all these employees want to up sticks if the banks move completely, the costs to these firms would be enormous and very disruptive to their businesses, these firms will no doubt look long and hard at what is best for them and not act hastily

over a year ago

"That'll be interesting if Hamon gets voted in during the upcoming French elections.

One of his manifesto points is a 32 hour working week. Do Investment banks just operate Mondays to Thursdays?"

Sure. Some do 24 hour weeks too in the Netherlands. Banks too. Call the 80% or 60% time instead of full time.

But is it reduced pay?

over a year ago

"From what I understand all the companies need to do is to establish an office in the EU at worst,if they move lock stock and barrel will all these employees want to up sticks if the banks move completely, the costs to these firms would be enormous and very disruptive to their businesses, these firms will no doubt look long and hard at what is best for them and not act hastily "

They're likely to open one up, transfer a few for promotions or higher pay, then close the UK office down.

Everyone is replaceable. Companies are not loyal to you.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"From what I understand all the companies need to do is to establish an office in the EU at worst,if they move lock stock and barrel will all these employees want to up sticks if the banks move completely, the costs to these firms would be enormous and very disruptive to their businesses, these firms will no doubt look long and hard at what is best for them and not act hastily

They're likely to open one up, transfer a few for promotions or higher pay, then close the UK office down.

Everyone is replaceable. Companies are not loyal to you."

Of course they arent but where are they going to get 30,000 plus experienced bankers over night

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

[Removed by poster at 07/02/17 19:20:46]

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

[Removed by poster at 07/02/17 19:23:54]

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

I can't be arsed, too much ignorant bollocks spouted on here.

over a year ago

"I can't be arsed, too much ignorant bollocks spouted on here. "

Fair enough. Know the feeling.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"I can't be arsed, too much ignorant bollocks spouted on here.

Fair enough. Know the feeling."

So you dont know either then

over a year ago

"

Of course they arent but where are they going to get 30,000 plus experienced bankers over night "

Wouldn't be "overnight" would it and their going to have a pool of 27 Countries to choose from to staff new offices, so I don't see a problem for them.

over a year ago

London will remain the financial capital.

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?

over a year ago

"London will remain the financial capital.

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?"

First rule of buisness you learn the hard way is there are no friends in buisness.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?First rule of buisness you learn the hard way is there are no friends in buisness. "

Maybe the EU should learn the hard way to deal with their own security then and we should withdraw our cooperation with MI6 and our Intelligence services which are considered to be amongst the best in the world, certainly the best in Europe.

over a year ago

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?First rule of buisness you learn the hard way is there are no friends in buisness. "

Exactly this, and this is why we should not trust the EU

over a year ago

so all this European 'Union' is bolox then?

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?First rule of buisness you learn the hard way is there are no friends in buisness.

so all this European 'Union' is bolox then?"

WHAT????you cant be serious

over a year ago

Loving the cognitive dissonance

over a year ago

Its buisness.Its not personal.It happens all the time.Heres an example i know from experience. You have an employee you train them they learn your buisness inside out you become good friends.They leave after 10 years set up an identical buisness.Under cut you and attempt to steal all your clients and try to send you under.

over a year ago

"Its buisness.Its not personal.It happens all the time.Heres an example i know from experience. You have an employee you train them they learn your buisness inside out you become good friends.They leave after 10 years set up an identical buisness.Under cut you and attempt to steal all your clients and try to send you under. "

maybe but I'm sure the employee wasn't trying to steal clients openly while still employed by his friend

over a year ago

"Its buisness.Its not personal.It happens all the time.Heres an example i know from experience. You have an employee you train them they learn your buisness inside out you become good friends.They leave after 10 years set up an identical buisness.Under cut you and attempt to steal all your clients and try to send you under.

maybe but I'm sure the employee wasn't trying to steal clients openly while still employed by his friend"

Of course he was .During the last few years of working for you he was planning it.He even will tap up your clients he can trust before he leaves.Ive seen this time and time again.Just about everyone i know in buisness had a similar story.Its standard practice.Its a dog eat dog world.

over a year ago

"Its buisness.Its not personal.It happens all the time.Heres an example i know from experience. You have an employee you train them they learn your buisness inside out you become good friends.They leave after 10 years set up an identical buisness.Under cut you and attempt to steal all your clients and try to send you under.

maybe but I'm sure the employee wasn't trying to steal clients openly while still employed by his friendOf course he was .During the last few years of working for you he was planning it.He even will tap up your clients he can trust before he leaves.Ive seen this time and time again.Just about everyone i know in buisness had a similar story.Its standard practice.Its a dog eat dog world."

no, you're missing the point. Was he open about it? Telling his friend/employer what he was doing/planning to do?

over a year ago

maybe but I'm sure the employee wasn't trying to steal clients openly while still employed by his friendOf course he was .During the last few years of working for you he was planning it.He even will tap up your clients he can trust before he leaves.Ive seen this time and time again.Just about everyone i know in buisness had a similar story.Its standard practice.Its a dog eat dog world.

no, you're missing the point. Was he open about it? Telling his friend/employer what he was doing/planning to do?"

He was open once he handed in his notice. Its common practice to put an employee who handles your clients on gardening leave as soon as he hands in his notice preventing him from joining a rival firm instantly and taking all the clients .This gives your new employee time to keep and get to know your clients.Regarding the EU weve handed in our notice havent we.?

over a year ago

maybe but I'm sure the employee wasn't trying to steal clients openly while still employed by his friendOf course he was .During the last few years of working for you he was planning it.He even will tap up your clients he can trust before he leaves.Ive seen this time and time again.Just about everyone i know in buisness had a similar story.Its standard practice.Its a dog eat dog world.

no, you're missing the point. Was he open about it? Telling his friend/employer what he was doing/planning to do?He was open once he handed in his notice. Its common practice to put an employee who handles your clients on gardening leave as soon as he hands in his notice preventing him from joining a rival firm instantly and taking all the clients .This gives your new employee time to keep and get to know your clients.Regarding the EU weve handed in our notice havent we.?"

when?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?"

That might have been a more valid statement if Teresa may hadn't threatened to turn the uk into a corporate tax haven if she didn't get her way in the negotiations.....

The simple fact is under Eu law certain eu functions have to be dealt with within the eu and some sort those happen to be based in London

..... and you voted for the uk not to be in the eu

So those jobs will have to go elsewhere!!! That just happens to be a consequence of that vote

So those jobs may go to Paris... or Dublin, you being outside the eu don't get a say

over a year ago

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?

That might have been a more valid statement if Teresa may hadn't threatened to turn the uk into a corporate tax haven if she didn't get her way in the negotiations.....

The simple fact is under Eu law certain eu functions have to be dealt with within the eu and some sort those happen to be based in London

..... and you voted for the uk not to be in the eu

So those jobs will have to go elsewhere!!! That just happens to be a consequence of that vote

So those jobs may go to Paris... or Dublin, you being outside the eu don't get a say "

I understand that some jobs will need to go abroad to comply with certain EU functions but that is a price worth paying. I believe other cities were courting the banks before May threatened to turn the UK into a corporate tax haven though. And if Theresa May gets her way in the negotiations there are no losers are there?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Its buisness.Its not personal.It happens all the time.Heres an example i know from experience. You have an employee you train them they learn your buisness inside out you become good friends.They leave after 10 years set up an identical buisness.Under cut you and attempt to steal all your clients and try to send you under. "

Or as in the case of Greece, the employer fucks the employee over time and again until the employee is flat broke and in massive debt to the employer.

over a year ago

south dublin

"From what I understand all the companies need to do is to establish an office in the EU at worst,if they move lock stock and barrel will all these employees want to up sticks if the banks move completely, the costs to these firms would be enormous and very disruptive to their businesses, these firms will no doubt look long and hard at what is best for them and not act hastily "

One of the banks has set aside €15 million for the cost of moving to Dublin.

If they remain in the UK then they'll have to pay tarriffs on all their EU business. So they'll move their EU operations to the EU and have a much smaller office in the UK because even a small tarriff would cost them more than the move because they make so much money.

It all comes down to money in the end and those financial companies arent going to throw away tens of millions a year to stay in London.

over a year ago

south dublin

But what is amusing, or rather, sad about this is in what other circumstances would it be ok for countries to openly be seeking to impoverish another country? Especially one who is supposed to be a friend and ally and would be expected to come to their defence?First rule of buisness you learn the hard way is there are no friends in buisness.

so all this European 'Union' is bolox then?"

Hahahahahaha. Thats a stunning comment. Absolutely stunning.

The Union isnt bollox, but it is very much for people who are REMAINING IN THE UNION

Youve told us you dont want to be in the Union anymore so now youre going out and these are the consequences. You dont get the benefits of being in the Union anymore, we wanted you to stay but you decided to leave. So now we're going to compete aggressively for jobs and investment just like we do with every other non union country.

You demanded to stand on youre own and now youre complaining that the group isnt supporting you. Stunning.

over a year ago

south dublin

"

I understand that some jobs will need to go abroad to comply with certain EU functions but that is a price worth paying. I believe other cities were courting the banks before May threatened to turn the UK into a corporate tax haven though. And if Theresa May gets her way in the negotiations there are no losers are there?"

If TM gets her way then it will be the end of the EU. Once the EU ends there'll be no benefits for anyone.

You really need to be aware of whats happening from the EUs point of view. Its survival is on the line in these negotiations, if they cave to TM the EU is finished. And on a global level thats a disaster because with America pulling back on its global leadership theres only 3 that can attempt to take its place. Putins Russia, China or the EU. Brexit couldnt have happened at a worse time.

Giving TM what she wants could be the end of the EU, the end of the EU coupled with America taking a backseat in world affairs could mean war in the Pacific and in Eastern Europe. You need to understand all the effects this is going to have because this is what the EU negotiators will be basing their position on.

To prevent a potential war we will be ok with the UK having a self inflicted recession.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The Union isnt bollox, but it is very much for people who are REMAINING IN THE UNION

Youve told us you dont want to be in the Union anymore so now youre going out and these are the consequences. You dont get the benefits of being in the Union anymore, we wanted you to stay but you decided to leave. So now we're going to compete aggressively for jobs and investment just like we do with every other non union country.

You demanded to stand on youre own and now youre complaining that the group isnt supporting you. Stunning."

don't worry... you'll encounter a few who believe teresa will get everything she wants and give up nothing... and not only that, give us the bestest deal on the way out as well...

don't worry... realism will hit them eventually.... but for the moment just nod your head and say "cool!!"

over a year ago

You demanded to stand on youre own and now youre complaining that the group isnt supporting you. Stunning."

i was at loss for words.Also

over a year ago

"

I understand that some jobs will need to go abroad to comply with certain EU functions but that is a price worth paying. I believe other cities were courting the banks before May threatened to turn the UK into a corporate tax haven though. And if Theresa May gets her way in the negotiations there are no losers are there?

If TM gets her way then it will be the end of the EU. Once the EU ends there'll be no benefits for anyone.

You really need to be aware of whats happening from the EUs point of view. Its survival is on the line in these negotiations, if they cave to TM the EU is finished. And on a global level thats a disaster because with America pulling back on its global leadership theres only 3 that can attempt to take its place. Putins Russia, China or the EU. Brexit couldnt have happened at a worse time.

Giving TM what she wants could be the end of the EU, the end of the EU coupled with America taking a backseat in world affairs could mean war in the Pacific and in Eastern Europe. You need to understand all the effects this is going to have because this is what the EU negotiators will be basing their position on.

To prevent a potential war we will be ok with the UK having a self inflicted recession."

If the EU is so good and beneficial to all, why would it be at risk? Nato is important to peace not the EU. And if EU countries were so worried about war maybe they would fully comply with their nato obligations. Unbelievable

over a year ago

You demanded to stand on youre own and now youre complaining that the group isnt supporting you. Stunning.

don't worry... you'll encounter a few who believe teresa will get everything she wants and give up nothing... and not only that, give us the bestest deal on the way out as well...

don't worry... realism will hit them eventually.... but for the moment just nod your head and say "cool!!" "

Faaio, when have you ever got anything right?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Faaio, when have you ever got anything right?"

got it right when i guess who would be the first person to have a pop at what i would say.......

well.... 3/1 chance.....

over a year ago

"

Faaio, when have you ever got anything right?

got it right when i guess who would be the first person to have a pop at what i would say.......

well.... 3/1 chance....."

fair enough

over a year ago

south dublin

"

To prevent a potential war we will be ok with the UK having a self inflicted recession.

If the EU is so good and beneficial to all, why would it be at risk? Nato is important to peace not the EU. And if EU countries were so worried about war maybe they would fully comply with their nato obligations. Unbelievable "

Why do people start smoking when its expensive, damages your health and doesnt confer any real benefits?

People dont always do whats best for them. People supported Chairman Mao and he killed 45million of his own citizens.

Nato is a military force. Theyre used when things have gone too far. They dont negotiate and prevent war from happening.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Question to the OP;have you seen house prices and rents rise in Dublin over the last few months?

over a year ago

"

If the EU is so good and beneficial to all, why would it be at risk? Nato is important to peace not the EU. And if EU countries were so worried about war maybe they would fully comply with their nato obligations. Unbelievable

Why do people start smoking when its expensive, damages your health and doesnt confer any real benefits?

People dont always do whats best for them. People supported Chairman Mao and he killed 45million of his own citizens.

Nato is a military force. Theyre used when things have gone too far. They dont negotiate and prevent war from happening."

the UK has just stopped smoking . Either way, why don't they all meet their commitments? What chance of keeping peace if you have no force?

over a year ago

The experts did say Brexit would be bad for the city of London but when do leavers ever pay attention to experts? If an expert at Boeing said this plane wouldn't fly ..and Gove said "do you really believe that this airplane wouldn't fly " most leave voters would ignore Boeing

over a year ago

"The experts did say Brexit would be bad for the city of London but when do leavers ever pay attention to experts? If an expert at Boeing said this plane wouldn't fly ..and Gove said "do you really believe that this airplane wouldn't fly " most leave voters would ignore Boeing "

what did the experts say about the future of the UK economy yesterday? Are you ignoring them now?

over a year ago

"The experts did say Brexit would be bad for the city of London but when do leavers ever pay attention to experts? If an expert at Boeing said this plane wouldn't fly ..and Gove said "do you really believe that this airplane wouldn't fly " most leave voters would ignore Boeing

what did the experts say about the future of the UK economy yesterday? Are you ignoring them now?"

I don't ignore experts....the question is why do you suddenly believe then now?

over a year ago

south dublin

"Question to the OP;have you seen house prices and rents rise in Dublin over the last few months? "

I live in Dublin so yeah. But thats not really a factor is it? Its not as expensive as London.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"Question to the OP;have you seen house prices and rents rise in Dublin over the last few months?

I live in Dublin so yeah. But thats not really a factor is it? Its not as expensive as London."

Not yet

over a year ago

"I can't be arsed, too much ignorant bollocks spouted on here.

Fair enough. Know the feeling.

So you dont know either then "

I'm not a know it all. I just ask questions most of the time. Have you not noticed.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"The experts did say Brexit would be bad for the city of London but when do leavers ever pay attention to experts? If an expert at Boeing said this plane wouldn't fly ..and Gove said "do you really believe that this airplane wouldn't fly " most leave voters would ignore Boeing "

Bit of a difference between an expert with vested interests that is dealing in predictions into the future and a "real" expert that is dealing with known facts here and now with time built knowledge.

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing)

over a year ago

"The experts did say Brexit would be bad for the city of London but when do leavers ever pay attention to experts? If an expert at Boeing said this plane wouldn't fly ..and Gove said "do you really believe that this airplane wouldn't fly " most leave voters would ignore Boeing

Bit of a difference between an expert with vested interests that is dealing in predictions into the future and a "real" expert that is dealing with known facts here and now with time built knowledge.

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing)"

The currency slide would be great if you export more then you import seeing as it's the other way around its actually costing more

over a year ago

what did the experts say about the future of the UK economy yesterday? Are you ignoring them now?I don't ignore experts....the question is why do you suddenly believe then now?"

Well predicting the next 30 years is a bit ridiculous but as I've always thought we'd be better off out it's not a case of believing them NOW

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing) The currency slide would be great if you export more then you import seeing as it's the other way around its actually costing more "

So if the negotiations with the EU end up with import and export tarifs, what effect would that have on the public purse? Say, a 10% tarif either way?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing) The currency slide would be great if you export more then you import seeing as it's the other way around its actually costing more "

The currency slide hasn't only been good for exports it has also helped to give a huge boost to the UK tourism industry.

By *isandreTV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

Its silly to suggest the job losses will be even close to 30,000. It will be significant but probably not more than a third of that number.

Still a big tax loss and hit to the economy.

The bigger tax loss and hit will be on the business deals. That will be huge.

over a year ago

south dublin

"Its silly to suggest the job losses will be even close to 30,000. It will be significant but probably not more than a third of that number.

Still a big tax loss and hit to the economy.

The bigger tax loss and hit will be on the business deals. That will be huge. "

30,000 is just the number Paris is aiming for from the financal sector. It doesnt include what other nations might get or what other industries might do.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing)"

yeah... i am loving the currency slide because my petrol prices have gone up.....

you must be a cyclist!

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

"

How many of the predicitons from these finacial experts have come true so far,remember they said lots would happen the day after a leave vote( apart from the currency slide which has so far been a good thing)

yeah... i am loving the currency slide because my petrol prices have gone up.....

you must be a cyclist! "

Is the currency slide the only reason fuel prices have increased?

over a year ago

south dublin

"

you must be a cyclist!

Is the currency slide the only reason fuel prices have increased?"

The orice of petrol in Ireland was 1.33 on December 8th and its 1.37 now. If the UKs price has gone up more than that in the same time frame then its because of the currency slide.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

you must be a cyclist!

Is the currency slide the only reason fuel prices have increased?"

Not the only reason... but since oil is priced in US dollars... and we know what happened to the pound then it is a major reason

The price of oil itself has gone up from about 48 to 55 dollars a barrel since the OPEC announcement about cutting production

By *ir1967Man
over a year ago

in da sticks, london, amsterdam, madrid

That would be to simple. They would need to incorporate a legal entity on EU soil. Any member state would do as longest the entity is subject to EU regulation by the EU central bank or their national proxies. A branch with a parental who is not subject to foresaid regulation is not qualified for passporting

If a U.K. Bank goes that way it obviously will move all operations concerning its EU activities onto EU soil

over a year ago

There are no jobs going anywhere at this moment..

As no one has any idea the out come of the negotiation at this point all this is irrelevant.

Financial institutions will threaten all sorts of tripe to get TM to go for a 'soft' Brexit (translation- not really leave)

I am still not convinced we will leave at all.

Plenty of time yet for a back track from UK yet

Post new Message to Thread