Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Why do UKIP hate elephants so much?

Jump to newest

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

The EU had a vote to clamp down on the Ivory Trade.

647 voted in favour. Only 14 voted against.

6 of the 14 came from one Party.

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

William Legge, Earl of Dartmouth - UKIP

John Stuart 'chicken torturer' Agnew - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

Why do the other 8 hate them? I take it the vote went through, what's the issue?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sometimes there is just no way of avoiding the elephant in the room

over a year ago

Does seem strange tho and its a terrible trade

So you would assume everyone would vote against it.

over a year ago

Well i think UKIP have hit an all time low if they are in support of the ivory trade.We've lost 65% of the global elephant population in 10 years Another 20 years and they will be extinct with no viable breeding population.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen.

over a year ago

"Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen. "
Are you in favour of the ivory trade?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Does seem strange tho and its a terrible trade

So you would assume everyone would vote against it."

As you would assume the EU would back the UK's decision to ban the Whale meat trade but the EU supports it.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen. Are you in favour of the ivory trade? "

No and personally I would like to see it stopped.

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?

over a year ago

"Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen. Are you in favour of the ivory trade?

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?"

of course not. Are you a ukip voter ?

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen. Are you in favour of the ivory trade?

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?"

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Regardless of Whales meat, why did UKIP vote in favour of the Ivory Trade?

It couldn't have anything to do with their paymaster in chief (Uncle Dobbie, AKA Vlad the Dictator) being quiet keen on legalising the trade in ivory could it?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?of course not. Are you a ukip voter ?"

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Regardless of Whales meat, why did UKIP vote in favour of the Ivory Trade?

It couldn't have anything to do with their paymaster in chief (Uncle Dobbie, AKA Vlad the Dictator) being quiet keen on legalising the trade in ivory could it?"

I said I'd personally like to see the ivory trade stopped. Which part of that sentence didn't you understand?

Now we are leaving the EU we CAN ban the whale meat trade in the UK and stop Whale meat going through UK ports. The EU supports it though so Whale meat will continue to go through EU ports once we have left.

over a year ago

Are you in favour of the Whale meat trade?of course not. Are you a ukip voter ?

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip. "

Any thoughts on why they voted that way? Also would their position not put you off voting for them. Seems odd anyone against the ivory trade voting for ukip who seem united in favour of it

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip. Any thoughts on why they voted that way? Also would their position not put you off voting for them. Seems odd anyone against the ivory trade voting for ukip who seem united in favour of it "

Are you not put off the EU now knowing they support the whale meat trade? A simple yes or no will do. I am totally against both and no I have not voted UKIP

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip. Any thoughts on why they voted that way? Also would their position not put you off voting for them. Seems odd anyone against the ivory trade voting for ukip who seem united in favour of it "

You said you were against the Whale meat trade yet you still support the EU?

I've no idea why those Ukip MEP's voted the way they did on ivory but the overall vote went against them so why are we even talking about it? The ivory trade stopped.

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU?

over a year ago

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip. Any thoughts on why they voted that way? Also would their position not put you off voting for them. Seems odd anyone against the ivory trade voting for ukip who seem united in favour of it

I've no idea why those Ukip MEP's voted the way they did on ivory but the overall vote went against them so why are we even talking about it? The ivory trade stopped.

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU? "

We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species.

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 04/02/17 12:24:19]

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"member of the EU? We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species."

But bobbangs you want to remain so would you support staying with their whalemeat policy?

over a year ago

"member of the EU? We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species.

But bobbangs you want to remain so would you support staying with their whalemeat policy?"

No i wouldnt .I intend to read up on the eu policy on whale meat.Would you vote for ukip now ?

By *obka3Couple
over a year ago

bournemouth

"member of the EU? We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species.

But bobbangs you want to remain so would you support staying with their whalemeat policy?No i wouldnt .I intend to read up on the eu policy on whale meat.Would you vote for ukip now ?"

Never voted for ukip and both trades need banning, would I vote ukip if it meant getting out of the ukip and having ivory trade ? Not sure, would need to research why they think its a good thing

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"The EU had a vote to clamp down on the Ivory Trade.

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

"

UKip had 24 MEP's in the European Parliament at the time of that vote. So I'm assuming 18 UKip MEP's voted against the ivory trade and only 6 UKip MEP's voted the other way which you listed. Even if it was just a small vote within the Ukip party itself, the vote would have gone against the 6 you listed with 18 voting the other way. It's fair to say then on the whole Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade.

over a year ago

So hered what ive learnt.The UK and many EU countries oppose whaling. The EU does not allow its Member States to trade in whale products.Icelandic and Norwegian whalers have shipped and transferred whale products through ports such as Southampton, Rotterdam and Hamburg.

So when out of the EU will this trade stop?

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

I have been a Ukip voter for several years yes. However now Ukip have achieved it's main aim of exiting the EU I'm considering voting for Teresa May and the Conservative party at the next general election if she delivers the hard Brexit that I'd like to see and which she set out in her Brexit speech at Lancaster house. If Teresa May flops, fails to deliver and we get a soft Brexit then I'll continue to vote Ukip. Any thoughts on why they voted that way? Also would their position not put you off voting for them. Seems odd anyone against the ivory trade voting for ukip who seem united in favour of it

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU? We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species."

Ukip had 24 MEP's at the time of that vote (23 now Stephen Woolfe is an independent). Do the maths. If 6 voted for the ivory trade then 18 voted against the ivory trade. This means Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"Why do the EU hate Whales so much? The UK tried to ban the whale meat trade and stop Whale meat being shipped through UK ports, but the EU over ruled and told the UK we had to continue to allow the Whale meat to flow through our ports. The EU luvvies have no grounds to lecture anyone about Conservation of species while they still allow this to happen. "

You have, of course, ( deliberately) misinterpreted the reasons behind the legislation about whale neat.

Since the EU specifically bans whale meat trade;

However, the discussion was actually sbout restricting transit through ports; which is subject to international ( not EU ) law; and which the EU is seeking to change regarding certain commodities; but which has to be achieved world wide. ( and which the UK has sought not to change, as this also has implications for a range of other goods which move through ports)

also the UK is bound by its own laws; specifically the Open Ports Duty Laws, which it has the power to change, but has chosen not to.

So your assertion about EU " supporting" whale trade is at least, disingenuous.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"So hered what ive learnt.The UK and many EU countries oppose whaling. The EU does not allow its Member States to trade in whale products.Icelandic and Norwegian whalers have shipped and transferred whale products through ports such as Southampton, Rotterdam and Hamburg.

"

No, not until the UK changes its own laws regarding " transit of goods in ports " which it is exceptionally reluctant to do .

"Transit of goods in ports" is entirely separate from from " trading" goods.

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

"

UKip had 24 MEP's in the European Parliament at the time of that vote. So I'm assuming 18 UKip MEP's voted against the ivory trade and only 6 UKip MEP's voted the other way which you listed. Even if it was just a small vote within the Ukip party itself, the vote would have gone against the 6 you listed with 18 voting the other way. It's fair to say then on the whole Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade. "

You assume wrong. UKIP only had 6 members Present, which in Farage, Batten, Nuttall and Dartmouth is most of the leadership.

Farage never attends the EU Parliament. It seems he only turns up to defend Trump and attack elephants.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

UKip had 24 MEP's in the European Parliament at the time of that vote. So I'm assuming 18 UKip MEP's voted against the ivory trade and only 6 UKip MEP's voted the other way which you listed. Even if it was just a small vote within the Ukip party itself, the vote would have gone against the 6 you listed with 18 voting the other way. It's fair to say then on the whole Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade.

You assume wrong. UKIP only had 6 members Present, which in Farage, Batten, Nuttall and Dartmouth is most of the leadership.

Farage never attends the EU Parliament. It seems he only turns up to defend Trump and attack elephants. "

So you can't say how the other 18 ukip MEP's would have voted then? Glad we cleared that up.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"So hered what ive learnt.The UK and many EU countries oppose whaling. The EU does not allow its Member States to trade in whale products.Icelandic and Norwegian whalers have shipped and transferred whale products through ports such as Southampton, Rotterdam and Hamburg.

No, not until the UK changes its own laws regarding " transit of goods in ports " which it is exceptionally reluctant to do .

"Transit of goods in ports" is entirely separate from from " trading" goods."

Being a bit economical with the truth there yourself. The Minster of state at the department for the environment, food and rural affairs (DEFRA) George Eustice MP has actively tried to stop whale meat being transfered or shipped through UK ports. His attempts to do so were frustrated and thwarted by the EU. Now Britain is freeing itself from the shackles of the EU George Eustice and the government can crack on with putting this ban on whale meat in place.

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

"

Farage never attends the EU Parliament. It seems he only turns up to defend Trump and attack elephants.

So you can't say how the other 18 ukip MEP's would have voted then? Glad we cleared that up. "

No we can't, but using your logic regarding those who didn't vote in the referendum.....,,

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

"

The UK already has strict laws banning the ivory trade here, which ukip as a party agree with. Ukip believe this is a matter for the UK government not Brussels and the EU. The EU vote on ivory sought to take powers away from the UK and transfer them over to Brussels which is why those 6 ukip MEP's voted against it. Ukip have a position of voting against any EU measure that removes powers from the UK. Ukip believes this is a matter for the UK government and the UK already has these laws against the ivory trade in place. Therefore it's not necessary to remove more powers from the UK and hand them over to Brussels and the EU on this matter.

over a year ago

Historian and columnist Tim Stanley said Ukip voting against this was “morally repugnant”. Writing in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday, he wrote: “(I) expect Ukip to explain that they always vote against anything that expands EU power.

“As a passionate anti-EU conservative, I appreciate that stance. But when it comes to taking action against something as squalid as the ivory trade, even this rabid patriot would compromise my anti-EU principles. What next? Refusing to uphold a ban on child labour?”

He makes a great point.

over a year ago

I voted UKIP , and yes I think the ivory trade is wrong .

But I would be interested in hearing Nigel's reason as to be fair he usual has a good reason for his decisions .

The point on the Whales is a good one !

Sounds like E U double standards !

over a year ago

Nigel Farage was a member of the European Fisheries committee for three years, yet he only ever bothered to turn up to one single meeting out of 42.

To put this absolute lack of effort into perspective, we can look at a celebrity chef called Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. This guy is not a politician, and he doesn't have access to the EU fisheries committee, however what he does have is a determination to fight against the appalling waste caused by the discards policy, and a commitment to stand up for the interests of small scale British fishing operations.

over a year ago

"Nigel Farage was a member of the European Fisheries committee for three years, yet he only ever bothered to turn up to one single meeting out of 42.

To put this absolute lack of effort into perspective, we can look at a celebrity chef called Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. This guy is not a politician, and he doesn't have access to the EU fisheries committee, however what he does have is a determination to fight against the appalling waste caused by the discards policy, and a commitment to stand up for the interests of small scale British fishing operations.

"

True an fair play to him tho I'm suprised you like him as I'm sure he's a hunt supporter !

Have u any idea why Farage voted like this ?

It is the first I've heard of it ?

over a year ago

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

The UK already has strict laws banning the ivory trade here, which ukip as a party agree with. Ukip believe this is a matter for the UK government not Brussels and the EU. The EU vote on ivory sought to take powers away from the UK and transfer them over to Brussels which is why those 6 ukip MEP's voted against it. Ukip have a position of voting against any EU measure that removes powers from the UK. Ukip believes this is a matter for the UK government and the UK already has these laws against the ivory trade in place. Therefore it's not necessary to remove more powers from the UK and hand them over to Brussels and the EU on this matter. "

Ok , well that does put a different light on it !

They would have been accused of inconsistency and hypocrisy if they hadn't !

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

The UK already has strict laws banning the ivory trade here, which ukip as a party agree with. Ukip believe this is a matter for the UK government not Brussels and the EU. The EU vote on ivory sought to take powers away from the UK and transfer them over to Brussels which is why those 6 ukip MEP's voted against it. Ukip have a position of voting against any EU measure that removes powers from the UK. Ukip believes this is a matter for the UK government and the UK already has these laws against the ivory trade in place. Therefore it's not necessary to remove more powers from the UK and hand them over to Brussels and the EU on this matter. "

Yes, I was aware this was the defence. I was waiting for a brexiter to finally do a bit of actual considered research. It's not a very good defence though is it? I mean they are saying they are happy for the uk not to trade in ivory but they want 27 other countries to instead. Fucks sake!

It just highlights the narrow mindset. It's so beyond reason and decency its pathological.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Terrible to vote against this. Just tried to research it, but this was in 2014. Wrong but old.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Nigel Farage - UKIP

Paul Nuttall - UKIP

Gerard Batten - UKIP

Derek Clarke- UKIP

UKip had 24 MEP's in the European Parliament at the time of that vote. So I'm assuming 18 UKip MEP's voted against the ivory trade and only 6 UKip MEP's voted the other way which you listed. Even if it was just a small vote within the Ukip party itself, the vote would have gone against the 6 you listed with 18 voting the other way. It's fair to say then on the whole Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade. "

It's also fair to say that the EU is strongly against the trade in Whale meat, as is clearly stated by the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society. The article, lifted from their web site, also goes on to say that a UK ban alone would be pointless and that the best way to achieve a total ban on the Whale Meat trade is for the UK to use its not inconsiderable influence and votes within the EU to bring a ports ban about. So it seems that UKIP not only don't care about elephants but don't really give too much of a care about Whales either.

Here's the article. Read for yourselves.

"

The whale meat transit issue and the EU

WDC, Whale and Dolphin Conservation

25 May 2016 - 9:26am

This week the Sunday Times ran an article in which the proponents of a UK exit from the European Union (EU) argued that the UK would be better placed to prevent whale meat transits through UK ports outside of the EU.

At the end of the day, whether the UK remains in the EU or leaves to stand alone, is up to the British public, but we thought it would be useful to share some thoughts on the issue raised in the Times article so that people can make up their own minds.

Is the EU generally strong in terms of protecting whales and dolphins?

Yes. The EU strictly protects all species of whale, dolphin and porpoise and any incidental capture, killing or sale of whales or whale products by EU Members is prohibited. The EU specifically prohibits international trade in whale products under Council Regulation No. 338/97 which implements the Convention in Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) in the EU Member States and which lists all whale and dolphin (cetacean) products under its highest listing, Annex A, thus being stricter than CITES itself.

The impact of this strict EU regulation means that EU member countries, such as Denmark, which have overseas territories that still carry out whaling (in Denmark’s case, Greenland and the Faroe Islands) are subject to stricter measures than maybe domestic regulation would have allowed.

Are there any loopholes or exceptions which are less helpful to those of us working to protect cetaceans?

The issue of whale meat or other whale products from Iceland or Norway passing through EU ports en route to its final destination (usually Japan) is somewhat more complicated. Remember that whale meat can legally pass through EU waters and even through its ports, as long as all paperwork is in order - and since the meat does not clear customs, it is not deemed to have entered the territory of any specific EU nation. Whale meat and whale products have passed through EU ports on several occasions in recent years, for example:

February/March 2013: Norwegian whalers shipped around 4.3 tonnes of minke whale meat through the ports of Rotterdam, Le Havre, Hamburg and Southampton before sailing onwards to Japan.

June 2013: Icelandic whalers shipped 130 tonnes of fin whale meat through the ports of Rotterdam and Hamburg before growing public protests persuaded the shipping companies involved to return it to Iceland.

January 2014: Around 3 tons of minke whale meat from Norway travelled through the ports of Southampton, Rotterdam, Le Havre and Hamburg before sailing on to Japan. A fortnight later, a further 34 tons of minke whale products were sent to Japan via Rotterdam and Hamburg.

If the UK public votes to leave the EU, could we then ban the transit of whale meat through UK ports?

This is not as straightforward as one might think. One problem we face in campaigning to end any such transport is the fact that, if we do  vote to leave the EU, enacting our own national ban won’t be so easy, partly due to UK legislation known as Open Port Duty.

Under Clause 33 of the Harbour, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847, Harbour Boards are subject to what is called the Open Port Duty. This means that the harbour must be open to anyone ‘for the shipping and unshipping of goods and the embarking and landing of passengers’, on payment of the rates and other conditions set by the Board. This legislation suggests that, even if the UK does vote to leave the EU, we would be bound by existing UK law on the legal movement of goods. Remember that whale meat can legally pass through EU waters and even through its ports, as long as all paperwork is in order and the meat does not actually clear customs.

The UK could, of course, seek to amend this law (even whilst a member of the EU), but this would not greatly deter the whalers, who would simply bypass UK ports, such as Southampton, in favour of larger EU ports such as Le Havre, Rotterdam and Hamburg. Since whale meat has passed through these latter ports more frequently than UK ports, a unilateral UK ban on transit would certainly send out a message to the whalers - and might encourage other countries to follow suit and enact their own domestic bans - but on its own, would it solve the wider problem?

In our experience, the UK Government has been actively working within the EU to help persuade all EU member states that there needs to be better enforcement of existing regulations as regards whaling, and they have been championing an anti-whaling position for the EU on the international stage. WDC wants to see a ban on whale meat shipments through EU ports and believes that this would send an important signal to whalers in Iceland and Norway that this archaic industry should be consigned to the history books once and for all.

Personally I think the question before us is, therefore, whether whales would be better off with the UK outside the EU; or with the UK actively working within the EU to create a more effective ban on whale meat transports?  This, then, begs a further and, to my mind, equally salient, question – will pro-whaling countries, such as Denmark have more sway in the EU corridors of power if a strongly anti-whaling country, such as the UK is no longer “a voice in the room”? Will we see the EU weakened by the absence of the UK, and global whale conservation damaged because one country was no longer at the table? Would a weakened EU mean it's easier for Japan, Norway, Iceland and Denmark to achieve their ambitions?

If you are British, that choice is in your hands and the whales’ future may depend on your vote on June 23rd.

"

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU? "

The EU does not support the Whale Meat trade. It has some of the strongest rules against the trade in whale and dolphin products in the world according to the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society.

Is this yet another case of BREXTREMISTS not actually checking their facts before opening their mouths? Or are they using 'alternative facts', like the £350 million, again to confuse and mislead people around to their distorted point of view.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU? We are out of the EU however UKIP is British party and may get seats at the next election.So thats very relevant and telling on how they vote with regard to conservation of endangered species.

Ukip had 24 MEP's at the time of that vote (23 now Stephen Woolfe is an independent). Do the maths. If 6 voted for the ivory trade then 18 voted against the ivory trade. This means Ukip as a party are against the ivory trade. "

It's a natter of record that NO UKI MEPs voted in favour of the directive because all UKIP MEPs present at the time of the vote voted against.

What that means is that the other 18/17 UKIP MEPs couldn't even be arsed to show up and do the job they are paid to do.

over a year ago

"

The EU does not support the Whale Meat trade. It has some of the strongest rules against the trade in whale and dolphin products in the world according to the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society.

Is this yet another case of BREXTREMISTS not actually checking their facts before opening their mouths? Or are they using 'alternative facts', like the £350 million, again to confuse and mislead people around to their distorted point of view."

what was the EU's position in 2014?

Is there a "pecking order" for life on earth?

what gives the whale the right, over the elephant? and the elephant the right over the African Grey, and come to that I take it everyone is happy with the slaughter of cattle

fucking makes me sick,

shame we cant treat humans in same way as we treat all other life on earth

right that's my rant over, venison for supper

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

However the Whale meat trade continues in the EU and the EU continues to support it, seems odd anyone against the Whale meat trade would continue to support the EU. Would the EU's position on Whale meat not put you off being a member of the EU?

Is this yet another case of BREXTREMISTS not actually checking their facts before opening their mouths? Or are they using 'alternative facts', like the £350 million, again to confuse and mislead people around to their distorted point of view."

It seems you've not done a very good job of checking your facts. Here is a report last year where the Secretary of state for the Environment, food and rural affairs (DEFRA), George Eustice MP confirmed how his efforts to ban the whale meat shipments through UK ports was thwarted by EU rules and regulations.....

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-forces-britain-into-whalemeat-trade-says-minister-99ts2vrpf

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Is this yet another case of BREXTREMISTS not actually checking their facts before opening their mouths? Or are they using 'alternative facts', like the £350 million, again to confuse and mislead people around to their distorted point of view.

It seems you've not done a very good job of checking your facts. Here is a report last year where the Secretary of state for the Environment, food and rural affairs (DEFRA), George Eustice MP confirmed how his efforts to ban the whale meat shipments through UK ports was thwarted by EU rules and regulations.....

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-forces-britain-into-whalemeat-trade-says-minister-99ts2vrpf"

And he conveniently ignores the fact that it's the UK's own ports law that prevents the change.

But the he is not exactly an expert on international trade or the workings of transit regulations.

over a year ago

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-forces-britain-into-whalemeat-trade-says-minister-99ts2vrpf

And he conveniently ignores the fact that it's the UK's own ports law that prevents the change.

But the he is not exactly an expert on international trade or the workings of transit regulations.

"

is that an alternative fact?

over a year ago

Come on people, get over it. It's only a few elephants

over a year ago

"Come on people, get over it. It's only a few elephants "
That's the point.Only a few are left and on the verge of extinction.

over a year ago

"Come on people, get over it. It's only a few elephants That's the point.Only a few are left and on the verge of extinction. "

Exactly. Wipe them out, no new ivory left to trade, ivory traders out of business. You have to think outside the box sometimes

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

is that an alternative fact?"

No; but George Eustace's account of the issue is either factually incorrect, or demonstrates that he doesn't actually understand UK and international law regarding goods transits through ports. ( and that it's not a matter of EU law; which doesn't come into it)

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/02/17 23:50:21]

over a year ago

"Sometimes there is just no way of avoiding the elephant in the room "

Now I see what you did there. Nice one

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-forces-britain-into-whalemeat-trade-says-minister-99ts2vrpf"

You can throw all the slurs you like about the EU and Whales it still doesn't excuse or explain the fact that ALL the UKIP MEPs present voted in favour of the Ivory Trade. All your attempts to refract and use diversion won't change that.

And why did they vote in favour of the Ivory Trade? Well you've told us already and your answer boils down to this: UKIP voted in favour of the Ivory Trade because they didn't want an affective ban on the Ivory Trade coming from the EU. In UKIP's strange world a ban from one country alone is better than a ban from 28+ countries. And for all your talk about the EU not yet banning Whale Meat passing through its ports there is every reason to believe that UKIP would vote against such a ban any how for exactly the same reasons that it voted against the Ivory Trade ban. Bloody biggest bunch of mendacious, perfidious hypocrites in British politics ever.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

is that an alternative fact?"

According to the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society it is British law that currently prevents a bam in Britain, not EU law or policy. So what alternative facts is it that your talking about?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

If the UK public votes to leave the EU, could we then ban the transit of whale meat through UK ports?

This is not as straightforward as one might think. One problem we face in campaigning to end any such transport is the fact that, if we do vote to leave the EU, enacting our own national ban won’t be so easy, partly due to UK legislation known as Open Port Duty.

Under Clause 33 of the Harbour, Docks and Piers Clauses Act 1847, Harbour Boards are subject to what is called the Open Port Duty. This means that the harbour must be open to anyone ‘for the shipping and unshipping of goods and the embarking and landing of passengers’, on payment of the rates and other conditions set by the Board. This legislation suggests that, even if the UK does vote to leave the EU, we would be bound by existing UK law on the legal movement of goods. Remember that whale meat can legally pass through EU waters and even through its ports, as long as all paperwork is in order and the meat does not actually clear customs.

The UK could, of course, seek to amend this law (even whilst a member of the EU), but this would not greatly deter the whalers, who would simply bypass UK ports, such as Southampton, in favour of larger EU ports such as Le Havre, Rotterdam and Hamburg. Since whale meat has passed through these latter ports more frequently than UK ports, a unilateral UK ban on transit would certainly send out a message to the whalers - and might encourage other countries to follow suit and enact their own domestic bans - but on its own, would it solve the wider problem?

In our experience, the UK Government has been actively working within the EU to help persuade all EU member states that there needs to be better enforcement of existing regulations as regards whaling, and they have been championing an anti-whaling position for the EU on the international stage. WDC wants to see a ban on whale meat shipments through EU ports and believes that this would send an important signal to whalers in Iceland and Norway that this archaic industry should be consigned to the history books once and for all.

Personally I think the question before us is, therefore, whether whales would be better off with the UK outside the EU; or with the UK actively working within the EU to create a more effective ban on whale meat transports? This, then, begs a further and, to my mind, equally salient, question – will pro-whaling countries, such as Denmark have more sway in the EU corridors of power if a strongly anti-whaling country, such as the UK is no longer “a voice in the room”? Will we see the EU weakened by the absence of the UK, and global whale conservation damaged because one country was no longer at the table? Would a weakened EU mean it's easier for Japan, Norway, Iceland and Denmark to achieve their ambitions?

If you are British, that choice is in your hands and the whales’ future may depend on your vote on June 23rd.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Sometimes there is just no way of avoiding the elephant in the room "

Quite, but the EU is clearly having a Whale of a time.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Sometimes there is just no way of avoiding the elephant in the room

Quite, but the EU is clearly having a Whale of a time. "

That's right Centaur, you skip right passed the inconvenient truth that it will be exactly the same once we leave the EU and the fact that it's been that way for nearly a century before the EU came into existence.

You dont usually let facts get in your way, no reason to start now huh?

over a year ago

That's right Centaur, you skip right passed the inconvenient truth that it will be exactly the same once we leave the EU and the fact that it's been that way for nearly a century before the EU came into existence.

You dont usually let facts get in your way, no reason to start now huh? "

What about the poor old Seals ?

over a year ago

You dont usually let facts get in your way, no reason to start now huh?

What about the poor old Seals ? "

They are fine. They just go out clubbing

over a year ago

You dont usually let facts get in your way, no reason to start now huh? "

Get a sense of homour

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

According to the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society it is British law that currently prevents a bam in Britain, not EU law or policy. So what alternative facts is it that your talking about?"

So British whaling/port law should be changed, either pre or post Brexit. The Ivory issue from 2014 preumably is already enacted and will remain in force post-brexit.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

According to the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society it is British law that currently prevents a bam in Britain, not EU law or policy. So what alternative facts is it that your talking about?

So British whaling/port law should be changed, either pre or post Brexit. The Ivory issue from 2014 preumably is already enacted and will remain in force post-brexit."

So as the relevant law was written in 1847, can we all accept that this has NOTHING to do with the EU?

over a year ago

Did they actually vote at all......considering they are over here...focusing on Stoke it could be that they actually abstained by virtue of being absent.

They don't bother turning up or voting for most things...

over a year ago

"

So British whaling/port law should be changed, either pre or post Brexit. The Ivory issue from 2014 preumably is already enacted and will remain in force post-brexit.

So as the relevant law was written in 1847, can we all accept that this has NOTHING to do with the EU? "

In 1847 and even in 1972 when we joined the EU whaling was much more widespread. Since then opinions have changed and perhaps the UK would...since then...have liked to change the law. But while in the EU we can't.

No way of knowing this....but your argument is, at best, a moot point.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

So as the relevant law was written in 1847, can we all accept that this has NOTHING to do with the EU?

In 1847 and even in 1972 when we joined the EU whaling was much more widespread. Since then opinions have changed and perhaps the UK would...since then...have liked to change the law. But while in the EU we can't.

No way of knowing this....but your argument is, at best, a moot point."

It is a BRITISH law, nothing to do with the EU.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

So as the relevant law was written in 1847, can we all accept that this has NOTHING to do with the EU? "

Personally I don't know, but I know you have an unstoppable yearning to be never wrong, so I am happy to accept it.

Let's change our law and do our bit.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"

Personally I don't know, but I know you have an unstoppable yearning to be never wrong, so I am happy to accept it.

Let's change our law and do our bit."

Decision has already been made to leave the EU, so Britain can now do what it's wants as an independent, fully sovereign, self governing nation state. We can ban the ivory trade and the whale meat trade.

The EU can do what they want to do on these matters as a separate entity.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Decision has already been made to leave the EU, so Britain can now do what it's wants as an independent, fully sovereign, self governing nation state. We can ban the ivory trade and the whale meat trade.

The EU can do what they want to do on these matters as a separate entity. "

It's nothing to do with the EU, its a BRITISH law from 1847!

Let's seperate the wheat from the chaff here, with all the mock indignation from the EU haters. As this law was on the statute books for at least 100 years before anyone on this thread was born, who has actually written to their MP to ask them to change this British act of parliament?

over a year ago

"

Let's seperate the wheat from the chaff here, with all the mock indignation from the EU haters. As this law was on the statute books for at least 100 years before anyone on this thread was born, who has actually written to their MP to ask them to change this British act of parliament? "

Have you?

over a year ago

"

Let's seperate the wheat from the chaff here, with all the mock indignation from the EU haters. As this law was on the statute books for at least 100 years before anyone on this thread was born, who has actually written to their MP to ask them to change this British act of parliament?

Have you?"

Just wrote to my MP. Free Willy. I sent a photo of my cock.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

I won't be writing to my MP, she didn't follow her constituents instruction on the recent A50 vote, so no reason to believe she will on any other matter.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Have you?"

No, but I'm not the one complaining about it, we all have causes that we are passionate about, for some people its whales, but not me.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I won't be writing to my MP, she didn't follow her constituents instruction on the recent A50 vote, so no reason to believe she will on any other matter."

But you have had your entire life with which to speak to your MP about it if it really bothered you. I'm sure you have lived in a few different constituencies in your life and probably had a number of different MPs, and you have never written to any of them about this issue. That's fine if you're not bothered about it, but don't pretend to be bothered about it so you can then blame the EU for a British law written 100 years before even the EU's grandfather organisation, the ECSC was created.

over a year ago

"

Have you?

No, but I'm not the one complaining about it, we all have causes that we are passionate about, for some people its whales, but not me. "

If it doesn't bother you why are you drumming on about it so much?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Have you?

No, but I'm not the one complaining about it, we all have causes that we are passionate about, for some people its whales, but not me.

If it doesn't bother you why are you drumming on about it so much?"

I'm countering the absolute lies, or "alternative facts" that the situation has anything to do with the EU, that's all.

over a year ago

There was a petition which is now closed to ban uk ports handling whale meat.105,000 signed. Looks like people aren't to bothered.I wouldn't bother wtiting to an MP.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"There was a petition which is now closed to ban uk ports handling whale meat.105,000 signed. Looks like people aren't to bothered.I wouldn't bother wtiting to an MP."

By the same token I wonder if the OP and others whinging about ukip on this thread bothered to write to their MP's about the ivory trade before the UK put a ban on ivory products?

over a year ago

"There was a petition which is now closed to ban uk ports handling whale meat.105,000 signed. Looks like people aren't to bothered.I wouldn't bother wtiting to an MP.

By the same token I wonder if the OP and others whinging about ukip on this thread bothered to write to their MP's about the ivory trade before the UK put a ban on ivory products? "

I have signed numerous petitions on the environment .I wouldn't waste time writing to an MP though.That just gets thrown in the bin.Individuals get ignored.Join a group or organization .Togeather you carry more weight.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"There was a petition which is now closed to ban uk ports handling whale meat.105,000 signed. Looks like people aren't to bothered.I wouldn't bother wtiting to an MP.

By the same token I wonder if the OP and others whinging about ukip on this thread bothered to write to their MP's about the ivory trade before the UK put a ban on ivory products? I have signed numerous petitions on the environment .I wouldn't waste time writing to an MP though.That just gets thrown in the bin.Individuals get ignored.Join a group or organization .Togeather you carry more weight.

"

Read back through the thread. It was CLCC who suggested people should write to their MP.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

By the same token I wonder if the OP and others whinging about ukip on this thread bothered to write to their MP's about the ivory trade before the UK put a ban on ivory products? "

But its slightly different isn't it? One is accepting the status quo, and the OP is about UKIP ACTIVELY trying to stop a ban on the ivory trade.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I won't be writing to my MP, she didn't follow her constituents instruction on the recent A50 vote, so no reason to believe she will on any other matter.

But you have had your entire life with which to speak to your MP about it if it really bothered you. I'm sure you have lived in a few different constituencies in your life and probably had a number of different MPs, and you have never written to any of them about this issue. That's fine if you're not bothered about it, but don't pretend to be bothered about it so you can then blame the EU for a British law written 100 years before even the EU's grandfather organisation, the ECSC was created. "

When did I ever blame the eu? Please copy the post where I did that.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I won't be writing to my MP, she didn't follow her constituents instruction on the recent A50 vote, so no reason to believe she will on any other matter.

But you have had your entire life with which to speak to your MP about it if it really bothered you. I'm sure you have lived in a few different constituencies in your life and probably had a number of different MPs, and you have never written to any of them about this issue. That's fine if you're not bothered about it, but don't pretend to be bothered about it so you can then blame the EU for a British law written 100 years before even the EU's grandfather organisation, the ECSC was created.

When did I ever blame the eu? Please copy the post where I did that."

I wasn't just referring to you.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

I wasn't just referring to you."

Do you mean you wern't referring to me at all? Because I didn't ever blame the eu. Can you clarify please.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Do you mean you wern't referring to me at all? Because I didn't ever blame the eu. Can you clarify please."

In your first post you linked changing the law to Brexit, it's got nothing to do with Brexit, or the EU.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Do you mean you wern't referring to me at all? Because I didn't ever blame the eu. Can you clarify please.

In your first post you linked changing the law to Brexit, it's got nothing to do with Brexit, or the EU. "

No I didnt, I said British law should be changed pre or post brexit. How does that imply I am saying it is eu law?

Do you realise how much you twist? Why not just say ' oh yes I got you mixed up with another poster' ?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

In your first post you linked changing the law to Brexit, it's got nothing to do with Brexit, or the EU.

No I didnt, I said British law should be changed pre or post brexit. How does that imply I am saying it is eu law?

Do you realise how much you twist? Why not just say ' oh yes I got you mixed up with another poster' ?"

So if it's got nothing to do with brexit or the EU, why mention Brexit?

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Do you realise how much you twist? Why not just say ' oh yes I got you mixed up with another poster' ?

So if it's got nothing to do with brexit or the EU, why mention Brexit? "

Because it was being discussed in regards to Brexit. So I said change British law.

Does admitting anything, however minor distress you so much, that you just will not do it?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

So if it's got nothing to do with brexit or the EU, why mention Brexit?

Because it was being discussed in regards to Brexit. So I said change British law.

Does admitting anything, however minor distress you so much, that you just will not do it?"

Well it was only being discussed with Brexit because some people were of the mistaken belief that it had something to do with the EU. But this conversation is getting a bit tedious, whale meat transiting through UK ports, whilst never actually clearing customs or coming into the uk, has nothing to do with the EU. I don't really care if you agree with that or not.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Well it was only being discussed with Brexit because some people were of the mistaken belief that it had something to do with the EU. But this conversation is getting a bit tedious, whale meat transiting through UK ports, whilst never actually clearing customs or coming into the uk, has nothing to do with the EU. I don't really care if you agree with that or not."

The issue is that you have got me and Centaur mixed up and attributed his comments to me. You aren't man enough to admit that simple error.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Well it was only being discussed with Brexit because some people were of the mistaken belief that it had something to do with the EU. But this conversation is getting a bit tedious, whale meat transiting through UK ports, whilst never actually clearing customs or coming into the uk, has nothing to do with the EU. I don't really care if you agree with that or not.

The issue is that you have got me and Centaur mixed up and attributed his comments to me. You aren't man enough to admit that simple error."

Of course, nothing at all to do with you talking about Brexit and this issue. But it's fine, you keep squirming and bitching. You know if you really believed that the two weren't linked, you would be replying to some of the other brexit posters and telling them that they are wrong, but you're not doing that because of course Brexiters always stick together, no matter how stupid their arguments are.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

The issue is that you have got me and Centaur mixed up and attributed his comments to me. You aren't man enough to admit that simple error.

Of course, nothing at all to do with you talking about Brexit and this issue. But it's fine, you keep squirming and bitching. You know if you really believed that the two weren't linked, you would be replying to some of the other brexit posters and telling them that they are wrong, but you're not doing that because of course Brexiters always stick together, no matter how stupid their arguments are. "

Read my posts in this thread and tell me where i'said it is eu law. Tell me the post where I have stuck up for another 'brexiter'. My only posts have been to say change uk law.

What squirming and bitching?

Your attitude is astounding. Half of my best friends voted remain. Lots of brexiters are complete cocks. Your fantasy that the country is split up between two equal thinking camps is absurd.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"

Of course, nothing at all to do with you talking about Brexit and this issue. But it's fine, you keep squirming and bitching. You know if you really believed that the two weren't linked, you would be replying to some of the other brexit posters and telling them that they are wrong, but you're not doing that because of course Brexiters always stick together, no matter how stupid their arguments are.

Read my posts in this thread and tell me where i'said it is eu law. Tell me the post where I have stuck up for another 'brexiter'. My only posts have been to say change uk law.

What squirming and bitching?

Your attitude is astounding. Half of my best friends voted remain. Lots of brexiters are complete cocks. Your fantasy that the country is split up between two equal thinking camps is absurd."

Still can't see you telling any of your Brexiters friends that they are wrong, but you are still having a go at the person who's right

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Still can't see you telling any of your Brexiters friends that they are wrong, but you are still having a go at the person who's right "

Cba with your ridiculous comments anymore.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

No way of knowing this....but your argument is, at best, a moot point."

There is absolutely no reason why the UK could not have changed the 1847 law at anytime it wanted, the EU has nothing to do with it.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

The EU can do what they want to do on these matters as a separate entity. "

We could have done both while in the EU if we wanted. We haven't done a UK ban on Ivory Trade although we could have because the EU ban covers us. We could have, and still can, ban Whale meat passing through British ports and, as no EU territory trades in Whale or Dolphin products, there would have been no action taken against us by the EU. However there might have been and might well be, action taken against us by WTO and UN as most marine law, including free access to ports, is not either EU or UK law but international law. Also the Whale & Dolphin Conservation society has said that a UK ban, even if it was possible, would be totally ineffective on its own as the ships containing the Whale meat would simply use ports in France, Belgium or Holland instead. It's all very well throwing false indignation at the EU, which has the strongest Whale & Dolphin conservation policies in the world, while actually putting forward solutions of your own that the people who really care about Whale & Dolphin conservation are telling you will be totally ineffectual. So get off your false moral high house and tell us again why all the UKIP members present voted in favour of Ivory Hunting.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

I think you'll find it's an EU wide ban.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

By the same token I wonder if the OP and others whinging about ukip on this thread bothered to write to their MP's about the ivory trade before the UK put a ban on ivory products? I have signed numerous petitions on the environment .I wouldn't waste time writing to an MP though.That just gets thrown in the bin.Individuals get ignored.Join a group or organization .Togeather you carry more weight.

"

You maybe right about organising a group and working together to carry more weight but you're wrong about letters written to MPs being either ignored or thrown in the bin.

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

I heard a rumour that the Bootle elephant murderer answered accusations he has no furniture in the Stoke central residence he has never lived in.

'Rubbish there is no furniture, there are several grand piano's which I wank over. I don't even need to use any of my store of powdered rhino horn to get me in the mood.' He said, eating a dolphin sandwich.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"I heard a rumour that the Bootle elephant murderer answered accusations he has no furniture in the Stoke central residence he has never lived in.

'Rubbish there is no furniture, there are several grand piano's which I wank over. I don't even need to use any of my store of powdered rhino horn to get me in the mood.' He said, eating a dolphin sandwich. "

Paul Nuttall only got the property in Stoke a few weeks ago since he began campaigning for the Stoke central by election. It was discussed yesterday by Suzanne Evans on The Andrew Marr show in case you missed it. As most sensible level headed and rational people will know it takes time moving into a new property and is a gradual process if you have furniture in storage. A reporter looked through the letterbox and concluded from that there was no furniture in the entire house, does he have special abilities to see through walls or something? Someone call the X men. It's pathetic and laughable.

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

What about this damning evidence?

https://i2.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170202-Nuttall-plaque.jpg

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"I heard a rumour that the Bootle elephant murderer answered accusations he has no furniture in the Stoke central residence he has never lived in.

'Rubbish there is no furniture, there are several grand piano's which I wank over. I don't even need to use any of my store of powdered rhino horn to get me in the mood.' He said, eating a dolphin sandwich.

Paul Nuttall only got the property in Stoke a few weeks ago since he began campaigning for the Stoke central by election. It was discussed yesterday by Suzanne Evans on The Andrew Marr show in case you missed it. As most sensible level headed and rational people will know it takes time moving into a new property and is a gradual process if you have furniture in storage. A reporter looked through the letterbox and concluded from that there was no furniture in the entire house, does he have special abilities to see through walls or something? Someone call the X men. It's pathetic and laughable. "

I think the word you were looking for there was illegal. Illegal to put down on the registration form when running in an election the address of a property you are not currently living in.

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

Early day motion 859, 17 January 2017.

ACTION TO TACKLE THE IVORY TRADE

Session: 2016-17

Date tabled: 13.01.2017

Primary sponsor: Mann, John

Sponsors: Streeting, Wes Ritchie, Margaret Shannon, Jim Meale, Alan Durkan, Mark

That this House recognises that African elephants are facing an unprecedented crisis with an average of one killed every 15 minutes for their ivory; welcomes the action taken internationally by the Government to combat the ivory trade and protect elephants in their natural habitat; further recognises that both the illegal ivory trade and the existence of legal domestic markets are helping fuel this trade; notes that ivory, both legal and illegal, is being traded on a daily basis within the UK; further notes that illegal ivory items seized by police and the Border Force in the UK have been falsely antiqued, using artificial stains or ageing techniques, clearly destined for the legal antique market; notes that domestic ivory markets are known to provide cover for the illegal trade in ivory and also reinforce the high value of ivory across the world; notes that China has announced a domestic ivory trade ban by the end of 2017; and therefore calls on the Government to implement its commitment to press for a total ban on ivory sales and close down the UK ivory market, including that of antique ivory, with immediate effect.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/859

No sign of Douglas Carswell's signature.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

Let's just hang on a moment and try to look at this furniture rationally.

Firstly there is no legal requirement to live in a constituency that you are planning to stand in. Secondly everyone who knows anything about Paul Nuttall knows that he's a Scoucer and not local to Stoke.

With theses two bits of information it seems to me clear that there is absolutely no motivation for Paul Nuttall to lie about where he lives or why, if it's even true, he has little or no furniture in the house near Stoke. This is a non news, verging on fake news, story.

We don't have to sink to there level to beat them and if we do we've lost already. Let's attack Paul Nuttall on what he and UKIP stand for, after all, there's plenty to go with.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Early day motion 859, 17 January 2017.

ACTION TO TACKLE THE IVORY TRADE

Session: 2016-17

Date tabled: 13.01.2017

Primary sponsor: Mann, John

Sponsors: Streeting, Wes Ritchie, Margaret Shannon, Jim Meale, Alan Durkan, Mark

That this House recognises that African elephants are facing an unprecedented crisis with an average of one killed every 15 minutes for their ivory; welcomes the action taken internationally by the Government to combat the ivory trade and protect elephants in their natural habitat; further recognises that both the illegal ivory trade and the existence of legal domestic markets are helping fuel this trade; notes that ivory, both legal and illegal, is being traded on a daily basis within the UK; further notes that illegal ivory items seized by police and the Border Force in the UK have been falsely antiqued, using artificial stains or ageing techniques, clearly destined for the legal antique market; notes that domestic ivory markets are known to provide cover for the illegal trade in ivory and also reinforce the high value of ivory across the world; notes that China has announced a domestic ivory trade ban by the end of 2017; and therefore calls on the Government to implement its commitment to press for a total ban on ivory sales and close down the UK ivory market, including that of antique ivory, with immediate effect.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2016-17/859

No sign of Douglas Carswell's signature.

"

I'm 100% behind protecting elephants and welcome the fully armed protection many in the wild get and wish it could be done more.

But is that motion set to fail, because it will get so much opposition from people owning antique pianos etc? Would it be better to have the ban just on all imports?

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

I agree. I'm just having a bit of fun.

It does highlight that he doesn't know the area or the people and local issues are unlikely to be a main focus for him if elected, which for other candidates they could be.

over a year ago

They'll probably be gone in twenty years either way!.... The ivory trade is just the tip of the iceberg

By *isandre OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Hartlepool

If it had been an ebony ban, UKIP would have been all for it.

over a year ago

"They'll probably be gone in twenty years either way!.... The ivory trade is just the tip of the iceberg"

been hearing iceberg is fairly scarce these days too (lettuce)

over a year ago

You maybe right about organising a group and working together to carry more weight but you're wrong about letters written to MPs being either ignored or thrown in the bin."

You could be right about MPs reading letters or emails. Personally i have lost all faith in democracy and the politicians who run things.

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"Let's just hang on a moment and try to look at this furniture rationally.

Firstly there is no legal requirement to live in a constituency that you are planning to stand in. Secondly everyone who knows anything about Paul Nuttall knows that he's a Scoucer and not local to Stoke.

With theses two bits of information it seems to me clear that there is absolutely no motivation for Paul Nuttall to lie about where he lives or why, if it's even true, he has little or no furniture in the house near Stoke. This is a non news, verging on fake news, story.

We don't have to sink to there level to beat them and if we do we've lost already. Let's attack Paul Nuttall on what he and UKIP stand for, after all, there's plenty to go with."

It wouldn't have been a story if he had simply written the address that he was currently resident in, however instead he wrote an address that he was intending to live in, which is against the law.

Post new Message to Thread