Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Anti-Fake News Software

Jump to newest

By *andS66 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Derby

I read somewhere this week (or last) that companies are very close to developing software that would identify and remove 'fake news'before it becomes public.

Whilst I don't like the 'fake news' that we seem to be bombarded with from all angles, I have a concern with this type of software, or the automatic removal of fake news before we see it.

If the identification and removal of 'fake news' becomes a reality - then what's to say that unscrupulous organisations, or governments even, would not utilise that type of software to further their own agendas, thus effectively controlling the media, press, and the news (genuine or fake) that we get to see or hear, and therefore ultimately controlling us?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I read somewhere this week (or last) that companies are very close to developing software that would identify and remove 'fake news'before it becomes public.

Whilst I don't like the 'fake news' that we seem to be bombarded with from all angles, I have a concern with this type of software, or the automatic removal of fake news before we see it.

If the identification and removal of 'fake news' becomes a reality - then what's to say that unscrupulous organisations, or governments even, would not utilise that type of software to further their own agendas, thus effectively controlling the media, press, and the news (genuine or fake) that we get to see or hear, and therefore ultimately controlling us?"

Very true. Trump is already setting the foundations for it. He is already got a counsel with technology firms in the US. And I heard he has taken away privacy rights from non US citizens. Meaning if our data is in a US datacentre they have the right to access it. Which means EU law of privacy is not covering it.

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

"I read somewhere this week (or last) that companies are very close to developing software that would identify and remove 'fake news'before it becomes public.

If the identification and removal of 'fake news' becomes a reality - then what's to say that unscrupulous organisations, or governments even, would not utilise that type of software to further their own agendas, thus effectively controlling the media, press, and the news (genuine or fake) that we get to see or hear, and therefore ultimately controlling us?"

Part of the issue is *what* is fake news... it can mean various things it seems right now:

1) News articles completely fabricated to suit some end purpose, e.g. the Breitbart burning church in Germany one

2) Propaganda in which facts are omitted deliberately to mislead or decieve

3) Social networks in which what you see is the promotion of views and articles intended to bias an opinion. The articles themselves may be factually correct, but the collection is skewed towards a goal.

You might be referring to recent announcements by Facebook about 3) above. they are changing their algorithms to try and less keep people in a bubble of their own viewpoints. The interesting thing with this is often these algorithms have no intent themselves, but just feed back an echo of your own viewpoints. e.g. the answer to 'Why does this site keep showing me right wing articles" is likely something like "Because you spend more time reading right wing article than left, you 'like' them more, and your friends like them more.

-Matt

By *andS66 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Derby

If the identification and removal of 'fake news' becomes a reality - then what's to say that unscrupulous organisations, or governments even, would not utilise that type of software to further their own agendas, thus effectively controlling the media, press, and the news (genuine or fake) that we get to see or hear, and therefore ultimately controlling us?

Very true. Trump is already setting the foundations for it. He is already got a counsel with technology firms in the US. And I heard he has taken away privacy rights from non US citizens. Meaning if our data is in a US datacentre they have the right to access it. Which means EU law of privacy is not covering it. "

It wouldn't be just Trump and the USA though... It would be every government of every country. We already, here, get biased news.... Its only a shirt hop skip and a jump to controlling the news.... With the potential consequences of that being quite unpalatable.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

Its private companies doing this (facebook, google etc.) And not being controlled by government and the reality is they are already controlling it througg those algorythims already. Theyre just telling us that their changing it to remove fake news.

There is the possibility for abuse but thats why we should be fighting for diverse ownership in media. If theres 10 media outlets its a lot harder to cover issues up. If theres 2 media conglomerates controlling everything then it becomes a lot easier to manipulate.

over a year ago

"Its private companies doing this (facebook, google etc.) And not being controlled by government and the reality is they are already controlling it througg those algorythims already. Theyre just telling us that their changing it to remove fake news.

There is the possibility for abuse but thats why we should be fighting for diverse ownership in media. If theres 10 media outlets its a lot harder to cover issues up. If theres 2 media conglomerates controlling everything then it becomes a lot easier to manipulate."

With great power comes great responsibility.

But the top tech companies control a lot. Facebook, YouTube are the greatest special networks. Google, Microsoft control search. Google Microsoft and Amazon have access to the data and services for all clouds applications and services.

I understand.

The algorithm is based on popularity and ensures stories that relate to a majority group becomes viral. I wonder how they'd check the facts. Maybe by source or tracking it back to a reliable source. But opinion and fact are different. I believe Google will succeed.

However, it doesn't stop us reading our own papers or checking their site.

over a year ago

The internet is an echo chamber we create.We filter news ourselves.if you surround yourself with voices that echo similar opinions to those you're feeding out, they will be reinforced in your mind as mainstream, to the point that it can distort your perception of what is the general consensus.

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Its private companies doing this (facebook, google etc.) And not being controlled by government and the reality is they are already controlling it througg those algorythims already. Theyre just telling us that their changing it to remove fake news.

There is the possibility for abuse but thats why we should be fighting for diverse ownership in media. If theres 10 media outlets its a lot harder to cover issues up. If theres 2 media conglomerates controlling everything then it becomes a lot easier to manipulate.

With great power comes great responsibility.

But the top tech companies control a lot. Facebook, YouTube are the greatest special networks. Google, Microsoft control search. Google Microsoft and Amazon have access to the data and services for all clouds applications and services.

I understand.

The algorithm is based on popularity and ensures stories that relate to a majority group becomes viral. I wonder how they'd check the facts. Maybe by source or tracking it back to a reliable source. But opinion and fact are different. I believe Google will succeed.

However, it doesn't stop us reading our own papers or checking their site."

Remove the algorithm.

prevent social media feeding any people,any kind of news.

Only the most oppressive of regimes,

Have felt it necessary,to suppress supposedly fake news.

Had they all been successful,

the world would still be flat.

By *andS66 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Derby

There is the possibility for abuse but thats why we should be fighting for diverse ownership in media. If theres 10 media outlets its a lot harder to cover issues up. If theres 2 media conglomerates controlling everything then it becomes a lot easier to manipulate."

It is at the moment.... My point is that it may not be in the future.

over a year ago

It is at the moment.... My point is that it may not be in the future."

What if the reverse is true. Using big data and social media to understand what society likes, listens to and hate so much. That insight can create a politician that can win an election by saying the right things, doing the right things etc.

By *xplicitlyricsMan
over a year ago

south dublin

It is at the moment.... My point is that it may not be in the future.

What if the reverse is true. Using big data and social media to understand what society likes, listens to and hate so much. That insight can create a politician that can win an election by saying the right things, doing the right things etc."

Thats basically what Donald Trump did. A few years ago he was a liberal new york democrat pro abortion, anti guns, the whole 9 yards. Then he went and decided that the republican party was his best option. And he looked at what those people were saying and although the party was trying to reach out to latinos the base of the party was scared of immigrants. So he took that issue as his own. Then he saw the rise of economic populism on both sides and made that his own. And now hes president and hes anti abortion and pro guns because thats what the people tell him to like.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Fake news...

Would that be press lies?

Like the stories in the scum after Hillsborough.

It has been going on for years and collectively we have refused to do anything about it.

We reap what we sew, and s flourish and take over if we do not remove them when they first appear. We have none but ourselves to blame for what we see now.

over a year ago

"Fake news...

Would that be press lies?

Like the stories in the scum after Hillsborough.

It has been going on for years and collectively we have refused to do anything about it.

We reap what we sew, and s flourish and take over if we do not remove them when they first appear. We have none but ourselves to blame for what we see now."

Were they fake or misrepresentation of the truth.

Post new Message to Thread