Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

superfight 1.... the 1st presidential debate

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

happens tomorrow night... 9pm eastern, 2am uk time....

anyone staying up to watch.... i probably won't but i got tuedsay off to watch and digest all the preshow and postshow.....

I think hillary will get under donalds skin and donald will explode at some point.... can you see donald managing to stay onscript for 90 minutes with no commercials and no teleprompter...

you know donald is going to riff somepoint into a major gaff......

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I think I may. This is probably going to be the first and last non scripted direct confrontation between them, and I can see it getting pretty dirty before the end of the debate.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

He'll reference conspiracy theories,911, Muslims, China, Mexicans and Iraq war.

She'll constantly tell everyone he's a fascist and not that great business.... She might even mention his tax returns!!!.

It's funny how it's come down to the two most hated candidates in political history, there detested by both sides and they're own supporter's.... Only in America as they say

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I think it will get a lot more personal than that.

I expect that Trump will be provoked into accusing Clinton of fraud and maybe even treason at which point I think Clinton will wash a lot of Trump dirty laundry on TV including his links to organised crime and corruption in NY, at which point I think there is a good chance that Trump will lose it and say something that will result in a break to commercials and an end to the debate.

I could be wrong, Trump may be more controlled than I believe and Clinton less of a supersmooth venomous political viper just waiting to deliver the her killing bite to the Trump campaign.

over a year ago

I'm thinking of staying up to watch it, though 2am is brutal. I wish I was in the US right now

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I'm thinking of staying up to watch it, though 2am is brutal. I wish I was in the US right now "

i am so staying up.... i am going to do the whole pregame postshow thing...

over a year ago

I'm at work all night and yes I will be tuning in on the radio. It should be rather interesting!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'll rely on your commentary, OP.

I don't have a blood pressure problem but I feel watching this may be detrimental to my health.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I'll rely on your commentary, OP.

I don't have a blood pressure problem but I feel watching this may be detrimental to my health.

"

.... lol okay...

i am all set up... takeaway and alcohol in.... watching sky till midnight.... taping the cnn coverage for tomorrow and watching MSNBC on the internet....

can you tell i am policy wonk!!!

i still don't believe donald can keep it together for 90 minutes without a break and a teleprompter.... at some point hillary is going to needle him, or he is going to end up riffing into making a major gaff....

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

Wish I could watch as family ties in the us and my kids go back and forth a lot. Have to be in at work firing on all cylinders by seven am, so I don't think I'm going to stay up. I've just finished work though so still unwinding ...

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I was very surprised at how civil the debate was.

Not what I have come to expect from Trump (or Clinton).

I for one don't quite know what to make of these 2 new iteration of the presidential characters.

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

Clinton deserves prizes for composure. Big shiny prizes.

How she stood there so calm and not tear him a new bumhole was something else.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

So I am over here at the moment and watched the debate as well as much of the journalist debates afterwards on a number of different channels. The general consensus seems to be that was a big win for Hilary and the Trumpster was just not prepared. He continued to tell lies that were easily refutable and offered nothing of any substance in terms of actual policy.

Best line was on NBC.... "Is it not really, really important that the President of the United States expresses themself in a measured and articulate way and does not tell blatant untruths?"

Seemingly Donald was suffering a cold and so he may perform better next week. Round 1 convincingly to Hilary.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Clinton: He hasn't paid any federal income tax...

Trump: THAT MAKES ME SMART!

Clinton: That means no taxes for our brave boyz.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"

Seemingly Donald was suffering a cold"

Too much cheap Mexican cocaine, that's the reasoning behind the wall

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i had the 1st 15 minutes as being about even.... and the last 75 minutes for clinton

for someone talking about "stamina" trump certainly didnt look like the stamina candidate.....

he just rambled and she let him hang himself......

i think the whole "who should fact check" debate over the weekend worked in his favour, because it put the focus on the lies he's been telling.....

over a year ago

It is being played in full on sky news at 08:30 & 2pm

so for those who weren't silly enough to sit up, you can watch it in full this morning or this afternoon with a fresh head after a good nights sleep

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the thing for me is that trump had to know some of the questions were going to come up because he made them front and centre... birtherism, taxes, race relations.... and he still botched them all!!!

the bits about not paying federal taxes and that "making him smart"..... and stiff of vendors by not paying them and saying "well thats business".... those will end up in attack ads!!!

clinton did a good job of using his own words and tweets against him, and again what he said tonight, some of that will end up being used against him!!!

where was the preperation....

give donald his due... the first 15 minutes about trade... good, then it went downhill and fast! rambling...

if you are mentioning rosie o'donnell in a presidential debate... you know you are in trouble!

over a year ago

If its legal to avoid taxes then should we all, not avoid taxes?

I pay £1200 a month into AVC's, that's £1200 off net pay, this in turn allows £800 a month to be added to this from my tax, so in total £2000 a month into AVC's totally legal

Why should I give that £800 a month to tax when I can add it to my pension pot as a little extra

over a year ago

One thing that Trump said that is spot on;

The people of the USA must respect Law & Order

far too many shootings in black communities with illegal guns, these guns must be taken off the street

over a year ago

"One thing that Trump said that is spot on;

far too many shootings in black communities with illegal guns, these guns must be taken off the street"

ah but you can't stop and frisk its 'racist', its not fair. What a joke, who's shooting whom? What have they got to do, search little old ladies to make it 'fair'?

over a year ago

Just watched it all impartially and the next President for sure now is...

Trump

over a year ago

Given Hilary's current position.

I thought she crashed n burned

nothing new to say or offer.

Sad but she has lost her grip

over a year ago

"

Given Hilary's current position.

I thought she crashed n burned

nothing new to say or offer.

Sad but she has lost her grip "

agreed. She said nothing

over a year ago

Watching it now, Hillary opens with the usual meaningless drivel about "jobs in innovation and technology" and "fairness". Naturally the audience will love that given they can all interpret such vague language as they please.

over a year ago

Well objectively, Trump's opening 2 minutes were far better than Clinton's. He had numbers, a clear position and talked specifics.

Even if I personally think he doesn't have a snowflake in hell's chance of achieving it. At least he said something... unlike Clinton

over a year ago

Clinton wants "smart, fair trade deals". Eugh. Please tell me it gets better than this, does that woman ever say anything of substance?

over a year ago

"Clinton wants "smart, fair trade deals". Eugh. Please tell me it gets better than this, does that woman ever say anything of substance? "

nope. He talks twaddle but at least its something and an alternative twaddle

over a year ago

"Clinton wants "smart, fair trade deals". Eugh. Please tell me it gets better than this, does that woman ever say anything of substance?

nope. He talks twaddle but at least its something and an alternative twaddle"

Yes, he clearly couldn't answer the question about how he would get 25m jobs back.

But why is he letting Clinton talk about 2008 financial crisis without mentioning that it was her husband who signed into law the very financial instruments that enabled the crash?

It's called the financial services modernization act Donald, her husband signed it

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

far too many shootings in black communities with illegal guns, these guns must be taken off the street"

Which includes paying your taxes

over a year ago

far too many shootings in black communities with illegal guns, these guns must be taken off the street

Which includes paying your taxes"

if there are loopholes in the tax regulations, you can legally use these loopholes to your advantage

there is a huge difference in staying within the law and taking illegal actions, wouldn't you agree

over a year ago

"Strong growth, fair growth, sustained growth" more drivel from Clinton. 24:00 and Trump has been better other than him completely flunking the 25m jobs question

over a year ago

40:00 and Hillary finally draws some blood. Bit low brow but she questions his business record and people he has stiffed in business.

Although calling herself middle class is laughable.

over a year ago

To be fair, Hillary did a good job there. Trump hides behind the letter of the law for his conduct, whilst Hillary brings in a moral aspect.

Her comments will actually resonate well with real business people since everyone knows 'the law is an ass'.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"40:00 and Hillary finally draws some blood. Bit low brow but she questions his business record and people he has stiffed in business.

Although calling herself middle class is laughable. "

Donald Trump regards starting a lawsuit against people he owes money to as a legitimate business tactic of mitigating his costs. Hilary got it bang on about that.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

I trust the Brexiters who believed that the Trump would roll over and give the UK a favourable trade deal if he became President were watching last night.

over a year ago

Which includes paying your taxes

if there are loopholes in the tax regulations, you can legally use these loopholes to your advantage

there is a huge difference in staying within the law and taking illegal actions, wouldn't you agree"

It's an age old strawman argument!

There's a vast difference between avoiding paying tax through pensions and.... Bribing politicans and tax regulators to create loopholes for you to evade paying any tax whatsoever!.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/09/16 14:38:12]

over a year ago

"I trust the Brexiters who believed that the Trump would roll over and give the UK a favourable trade deal if he became President were watching last night. "

yep. What, better than the one we've got now you mean? Oh hang on we don't have one. Do the Remainers think that the EU will get a favourable trade deal if he became President and for that reason we should have stayed in?

By *losguygl3Man
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I trust the Brexiters who believed that the Trump would roll over and give the UK a favourable trade deal if he became President were watching last night.

yep. What, better than the one we've got now you mean? Oh hang on we don't have one. Do the Remainers think that the EU will get a favourable trade deal if he became President and for that reason we should have stayed in?"

I'm a remainer and I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference which of them becomes president as regards sorting out Brexit with the EU from a British stand point.

over a year ago

"I trust the Brexiters who believed that the Trump would roll over and give the UK a favourable trade deal if he became President were watching last night.

yep. What, better than the one we've got now you mean? Oh hang on we don't have one. Do the Remainers think that the EU will get a favourable trade deal if he became President and for that reason we should have stayed in?"

Apparently we have already been told by the "present" president that we are at the back of the queue

oh wait, no, he changed his mind on that after the EU vote, or has he changed it back again

back of the queue

front of the queue

closest ally

back of the queue

front of the queue

closest ally

oh dear will they ever make their mind up

over a year ago

"40:00 and Hillary finally draws some blood. Bit low brow but she questions his business record and people he has stiffed in business.

Although calling herself middle class is laughable.

Donald Trump regards starting a lawsuit against people he owes money to as a legitimate business tactic of mitigating his costs. Hilary got it bang on about that."

Hence why I said she did a good job there.

over a year ago

I'm looking forward to the Foreign Affairs debate when Clinton can explain to the world why she and Obama abandoned Ambassador Stevens and his unusually severely understrength protection team to a Jihadi murder mob.

over a year ago

44:09 and we're back to Hillary pandering to PC bullshit, race "determines how they are treated in the justice system". That's lovely, your party has been in power for 7.5 years and the leader is black, but he's presided over a racist system and done nothing about it? Very logical

over a year ago

1:03 Clinton cuts deep with a lawsuit that Trump settled against discriminating against black tenants.

over a year ago

Trump talks absolute bollucks about ISIS, but Clinton fails to capitalise on his gaffs. She should have nailed him on that instead of just saying "oh our fact checkers will show he's wrong".

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Donald 'my microphone wasn't working and I was asked the 'wrong' questions' Trump..

should have just kept schtum and prepped for the next one maybe..

over a year ago

1:25 Clinton makes Trump look a fool over nuclear weapons. He's certainly faded as the debate has gone on.

over a year ago

1:27 "China is totally powerful as it relates to North Korea" - a good observation from the Donald, so few people understand this

over a year ago

1:35 Clinton back to being a PC idiot again, criticises Trump for saying "women don't deserve equal pay unless they do as good job as men". Are you listening to yourself Hillary? Pay is about ability not gender, race, religion or anything else.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/09/16 18:20:52]

over a year ago

So Donald was doing well on the economy until he dropped the ball on how he would get 25m jobs back. Hillary was dreadful with bland, meaningless statements.

She did well to question parts of his business record and got the better of him on foreign policy issues. He did better on law and order, again she just had bland statements with no substance.

They are both exceptionally poor candidates and it's scary if you compare the quality of Obama vrs McCain in 2008 to this drivel in 2016.

Post new Message to Thread