Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Stalling electric vehicle sales.

Jump to newest

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man
1 day ago

nearby

The registrations of new diesel cars for private buyers in September grew by about 17.2% compared with the same month in 2023. That compares with a rise of approximately 3.7% for pure battery electric cars.

The plateau in global EV sales has forced carmakers in the UK into what the SMMT described as “unprecedented manufacturer discounting” to try to hit the ZEV mandate and avoid fines of up to £15,000 per vehicle if they fail to meet it.

Government has been asked by several manufacturers to increase buyer incentives for EV’s to meet the net zero commitment.

Has Reeves any money in the pot or will there be tax/fuel/ved rises for ICE vehicles to enable discounts on EV’s

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *exy_HornyCouple
1 day ago

Leigh

I strongly suspect she will increase the cost of running ICE vehicles rather than reducing the cost of electric ones.

We’ll find out soon however getting rid of the 5p a litre fuel duty cut and reinstating the fuel duty escalator are obvious temptations.

Labour’s fanatical obsession with net zero will cost us all dearly.

By *ill69888Couple
1 day ago

manchester

Net zero is such a con. Just have a look at the manufacturing process of an electric car. Also have a look at the manufacturing process for the batteries. Have a look at the weight of these cars and how much damage they will do to the already shocking road system…

I’m sick of being told about Net zero by that plank Miliband and the MSM.

By *otMe66Man
1 day ago

Terra Firma

"Net zero is such a con. Just have a look at the manufacturing process of an electric car. Also have a look at the manufacturing process for the batteries. Have a look at the weight of these cars and how much damage they will do to the already shocking road system…

I’m sick of being told about Net zero by that plank Miliband and the MSM."

Agreed, renewable energy will reduce some emissions in energy production, but it doesn’t eliminate the emissions used with other parts of the process like manufacturing materials, transportation, or any emissions that can’t be mitigated directly. Meaning, renewable energy reduces the carbon footprint but doesn’t make it anywhere near zero.

Stretching definitions, playing with words …

By *altenkommandoMan
1 day ago

milton keynes

"The registrations of new diesel cars for private buyers in September grew by about 17.2% compared with the same month in 2023. That compares with a rise of approximately 3.7% for pure battery electric cars.

The plateau in global EV sales has forced carmakers in the UK into what the SMMT described as “unprecedented manufacturer discounting” to try to hit the ZEV mandate and avoid fines of up to £15,000 per vehicle if they fail to meet it.

Government has been asked by several manufacturers to increase buyer incentives for EV’s to meet the net zero commitment.

Has Reeves any money in the pot or will there be tax/fuel/ved rises for ICE vehicles to enable discounts on EV’s "

There are 2 reasons I wouldn’t have an EV. The first is range, which gets demonstrably worse in cold weather. The second is the lack of charging infrastructure (and do I really want to hang around for 2 hours to recharge even if I could find a rapid charger to complete my journey compared to a couple of minutes to refill the tank?)

Then you get to the arguments about the virtue signalling of it all when you look at the supply chain carbon emissions and the carbon that would be generated in producing the electricity needed to charge the cars.

The interesting thing is the behaviour of the middle market car sellers. I don’t know if people have twigged that the big auction houses like BCA no longer allow private buyers to bid, and have created reseller brands like Cazoo as an outlet? Do a bit of google earth image searching of former RAF airfields - you’ll see stockpiles of thousands of cars, vans and trucks that are owned by the leasing companies being witheld from the market to reduce supply and inflate the market value. This is going to become the gambit as the net zero madness truely takes hold.

By *2000ManMan
1 day ago

Worthing

22 billion set for "carbon capture" projects. Is any other country wasting money like this? Planting trees would be cheaper and capture more if they are obsessed with this sort of thing. This lot are becoming stranger as time goes on and it's us that will pay for it. To get back on topic, due to spending on this and other 'net zero' things, there will be no proper infastructure to support ev.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 day ago

golden fields

"Net zero is such a con. Just have a look at the manufacturing process of an electric car. Also have a look at the manufacturing process for the batteries. Have a look at the weight of these cars and how much damage they will do to the already shocking road system…

I’m sick of being told about Net zero by that plank Miliband and the MSM."

In fairness, people who watch GBNews, read the Daily Mail etc they use the phrase "Net Zero" about 1,000,000,000,000,000 times more than everyone else combined. Approx.

By *emma StonesTV/TS
1 day ago

Crewe

Let’s just carry on regardless and apologise to our grandchildren later.

By *otMe66Man
1 day ago

Terra Firma

"Let’s just carry on regardless and apologise to our grandchildren later."

The message and understanding of the strategy needs to be better mapped out and not mixed up with arbitrary figures, milestones and hysterical outcomes.

People will get onboard when they can understand, JSO is not helping in that space.

1 day ago

nearby

2bn (25%) more people on the globe by 2080, mainly from emerging economies aspiring to western living standards and consumerism

Doubtful this will make any difference

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 day ago

golden fields

"Let’s just carry on regardless and apologise to our grandchildren later.

2bn (25%) more people on the globe by 2080, mainly from emerging economies aspiring to western living standards and consumerism

Doubtful this will make any difference "

Each individual initiate makes a small difference. They all add up to a big change.

1 day ago

nearby

Each individual initiate makes a small difference. They all add up to a big change. "

I do not believe these policies are working, and are wholly inadequate to achieve climate goals

2023 was the warmest year on record

10 warmest years on record occurred 2014-2023

By *onica-mayhemWoman
1 day ago

Belfast/dublin

Each individual initiate makes a small difference. They all add up to a big change.

I do not believe these policies are working, and are wholly inadequate to achieve climate goals

10 warmest years on record occurred 2014-2023 "

Which records are you referring to?

Who gave the information?

At what point in history did they use as the start date for recording the temperature?

How many global recording stations were active at the start date compared to now?

What global positions didn't have but now have recording stations?

Or are you just parroting what you heard on "da newz"

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 day ago

Pershore

At what point in history did they use as the start date for recording the temperature?

How many global recording stations were active at the start date compared to now?

Or are you just parroting what you heard on "da newz""

People with any scientific knowledge understand how to extrapolate incomplete data. It's a science in itself and very reliable.

By *onica-mayhemWoman
1 day ago

Belfast/dublin

Or are you just parroting what you heard on "da newz"

People with any scientific knowledge understand how to extrapolate incomplete data. It's a science in itself and very reliable."

That doesn't answer my questions.

By *959femxCouple
1 day ago

Weston super mare

So we go nett zero while buying more and more product from China etc etc but no matter eh ? We can all feel so virtuous in the UK . The “ Science “ makes me laugh. The “Science “ in the 70s told us the world’s oil reserves would be exhausted by the year 2000 amongst a lot of other things that didn’t happen, and the world climate was cyclical and the cycle was heading to another ice age

Known “ Science “ can be obsolete history in the blink of an eye .

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 day ago

Pershore

"So we go nett zero while buying more and more product from China etc etc but no matter eh ? We can all feel so virtuous in the UK . The “ Science “ makes me laugh. The “Science “ in the 70s told us the world’s oil reserves would be exhausted by the year 2000 amongst a lot of other things that didn’t happen, and the world climate was cyclical and the cycle was heading to another ice age

Known “ Science “ can be obsolete history in the blink of an eye . "

You don't need to be a scientist to understand this stuff. Common sense alone tells us that if you release the energy and associated by-products stored in coal and oil over millions of years in a space of a few hundred years there likely to be drastic consequences.

By *959femxCouple
1 day ago

Weston super mare

No one wants to think about it but anyone with more than 3 brain cells knows deep down that without some cosmic event, unstoppable disease or global nuclear war over population will decide the future of our planet . If the 1st three don’t get us nature will decide.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 day ago

golden fields

10 warmest years on record occurred 2014-2023 "

I agree. We need to do a lot more.

Side note, even if we stop releasing greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, it will take time for the warming to slow down.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 day ago

golden fields

"So we go nett zero while buying more and more product from China etc etc but no matter eh ? We can all feel so virtuous in the UK . The “ Science “ makes me laugh. The “Science “ in the 70s told us the world’s oil reserves would be exhausted by the year 2000 amongst a lot of other things that didn’t happen, and the world climate was cyclical and the cycle was heading to another ice age

Known “ Science “ can be obsolete history in the blink of an eye . "

I assume this is a parody post?

But this is a good, if overblown, example of the gross misunderstanding of what science and scientific method is.

By *idanMan
24 hours ago

borehamwood

Would the money thrown at developing BEVs, which appears to have been politics led, have been better invested in further refining what we already had?

I have an e-bike which is fantastic but not convinced a battery is the right solution for propelling cars.

23 hours ago

nearby

"Would the money thrown at developing BEVs, which appears to have been politics led, have been better invested in further refining what we already had?

I have an e-bike which is fantastic but not convinced a battery is the right solution for propelling cars. "

Estimated 1.47 billion cars on the world’s roads and 700 million motorcycles, 23.7 million new commercial vehicles built annually, 90,000 commercial ships of more than 100 tonnes. NATO alone has 400,000 diesel vehicles.

Add other ICE powered transportation . I think what is needed to reduce transportation emissions is grossly under estimated.

Scientists say pollutants from vehicle tyres is 1000 times higher than exhaust emissions (emission analytics). So this also needs addressing.

By *oubleswing2019Man
20 hours ago

Colchester

No matter how rigorous the science is, there will always be sceptics or deniers. Or those in denial, shall we say.

So you really have 3 choices.

1.Support initiatives to assist in combating climate change.

2. Ignore it and hope it goes away.

3. Actively fight against it.

If Climate Change is going to be as bad as the science indicates, then you only have a 1 in 3 chance of choosing the correct path to try and address it.

If you choose 1 and it helps avert the worst, then hurrah, you chose well.

If you chose 2 or 3, then you are part of the problem, sadly.

If Climate Change doesn't pan out the way the science indicates, but you chose 1, then whilst there was a cost or sacrifice, your effort still helped (and may have helped avert it anyway).

If you chose 2 or 3, you ignored or fought against something that did not transpire, which is akin to shadow-boxing. You were lucky the shadow didn't fight back.

The problem being, if the shadow is real and does fight back, we and subsequent generations are fucked if we chose 2 or 3...in any of the 2 scenarios outlined above.

By *lex46TV/TS
20 hours ago

Near Wells

Well I’ve done my bit then. No kids and obviously no grandkids either. That’s me helping to get to save the planet.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
19 hours ago

golden fields

"No matter how rigorous the science is, there will always be sceptics or deniers. Or those in denial, shall we say.

So you really have 3 choices.

1.Support initiatives to assist in combating climate change.

2. Ignore it and hope it goes away.

3. Actively fight against it.

If Climate Change is going to be as bad as the science indicates, then you only have a 1 in 3 chance of choosing the correct path to try and address it.

If you choose 1 and it helps avert the worst, then hurrah, you chose well.

If you chose 2 or 3, then you are part of the problem, sadly.

If Climate Change doesn't pan out the way the science indicates, but you chose 1, then whilst there was a cost or sacrifice, your effort still helped (and may have helped avert it anyway).

If you chose 2 or 3, you ignored or fought against something that did not transpire, which is akin to shadow-boxing. You were lucky the shadow didn't fight back.

The problem being, if the shadow is real and does fight back, we and subsequent generations are fucked if we chose 2 or 3...in any of the 2 scenarios outlined above.

"

"If Climate Change doesn't pan out the way the science indicates, but you chose 1, then whilst there was a cost or sacrifice".

In many/most instances, taking action is economically better in the medium/long term. Such as moving away from electricity generated from fossil fuels.

By *ools and the brainCouple
19 hours ago

couple, us we him her.

If they where really interested in the climate EVs would be half the size they are, be very basic and do fantastic equivalent of MPG.

Instead they are huge, weigh an astronomical amount, packed with every conceivable electric gadget and are absolutely shocking equivalent MPG.

It's an absolute scam.

By *usybee73Man
19 hours ago

in the sticks

I couldn't give 2 fucks, rather have a diesel anyday, what happens in a power cut or if the state cuts the power as in the 70s?

18 hours ago

nearby

[Removed by poster at 04/10/24 19:26:23]

By *anifestoMan
17 hours ago

ferns/ cork

Best thing I ever did was switch to EV with home charger.

By *idnight RamblerMan
17 hours ago

Pershore

"I couldn't give 2 fucks, rather have a diesel anyday, what happens in a power cut or if the state cuts the power as in the 70s?"

Indeed. A weakness in EV rollout is the vulnerability of our national transport system to acts of terrorism by disabling the electricity grid.

By *ools and the brainCouple
17 hours ago

couple, us we him her.

"I couldn't give 2 fucks, rather have a diesel anyday, what happens in a power cut or if the state cuts the power as in the 70s?

Indeed. A weakness in EV rollout is the vulnerability of our national transport system to acts of terrorism by disabling the electricity grid."

Or fuel supplies

By *redwilma666Couple
16 hours ago

Kilbirnie

If we really want to save the planet, reduce the population. Stop all overseas aid to fsmine areas, encourage people to eat, drink & smoke to excess & stop finding cures to illness. Just get the numbers down, see how keen people are to help then.

By *anifestoMan
16 hours ago

ferns/ cork

I'm old enough to remember a dispute with tanker drivers that caused fuel shortages at the pumps....

"I couldn't give 2 fucks, rather have a diesel anyday, what happens in a power cut or if the state cuts the power as in the 70s?

Indeed. A weakness in EV rollout is the vulnerability of our national transport system to acts of terrorism by disabling the electricity grid."

By *redwilma666Couple
16 hours ago

Kilbirnie

"I'm old enough to remember a dispute with tanker drivers that caused fuel shortages at the pumps....

I couldn't give 2 fucks, rather have a diesel anyday, what happens in a power cut or if the state cuts the power as in the 70s?

It was not a dispute with tanker drivers, I was one of tbose drivers. Our depots were blockaded & we were prevented from going out on the road safely

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
16 hours ago

golden fields

Indeed. A weakness in EV rollout is the vulnerability of our national transport system to acts of terrorism by disabling the electricity grid.

Or fuel supplies "

Unless of course we transition off fossil fuels. Win/win/win.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
15 hours ago

Central

I'm not expecting that they will be giving much away in this year. They may promise more in the future but she will be weakening her argument for taking the WFA away from pensioners if she finds cash now to splurge.

We have to stop oil use ASAP and car changeover can be a step closer to this. We should not be drilling at new fields.

By *ollapaloozaMan
14 hours ago

North Berwick

The uk is crippling its self with net zero will china doesnt bother its ass

Ideally hybrids are the answer petrol or diesel with a electric motor

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
13 hours ago

golden fields

"The uk is crippling its self with net zero will china doesnt bother its ass "

This is inaccurate.

"China's $890bn investment in clean-energy sectors is almost as large as total global investments in fossil fuel supply in 2023 – and similar to the GDP of Switzerland or Turkey. Including the value of production, clean-energy sectors contributed 11.4tn yuan ($1.6tn) to the Chinese economy in 2023, up 30% year-on-year."

From Carbonbrief website.

"

Ideally hybrids are the answer petrol or diesel with a electric motor "

Why so?

By *usybee73Man
13 hours ago

in the sticks

If you have a diesel you can run it on other fuels, Google is your friend. When there was a fuel shortage.

By *idnight RamblerMan
7 hours ago

Pershore

"The uk is crippling its self with net zero will china doesnt bother its ass

This is inaccurate.

"China's $890bn investment in clean-energy sectors is almost as large as total global investments in fossil fuel supply in 2023 – and similar to the GDP of Switzerland or Turkey. Including the value of production, clean-energy sectors contributed 11.4tn yuan ($1.6tn) to the Chinese economy in 2023, up 30% year-on-year."

From Carbonbrief website.

Ideally hybrids are the answer petrol or diesel with a electric motor

Why so?"

Hybrid just means you are transporting the weight and technology of two drive systems - one of them redundant most of the time.

By *exy_HornyCouple
6 hours ago

Leigh

"If they where really interested in the climate EVs would be half the size they are, be very basic and do fantastic equivalent of MPG.

Instead they are huge, weigh an astronomical amount, packed with every conceivable electric gadget and are absolutely shocking equivalent MPG.

It's an absolute scam."

Dacia Spring?

Looked at one when my Sandero was in for work.

If I was looking for a new car I would consider one. At the moment, cost to change would be maybe £8k for which I would get a smaller car which has less range, is more expensive to insure, same road tax, maybe less in fuel if I charge it at home (although the Sandero does a genuine 60+ mpg).

So, when it is time to change, maybe. Although the basic Spring may not be imported into the UK. Apparently UK customers want the higher spec ones - don’t know why, I think they are stupid.

By *eandmrsjones69Couple
5 hours ago

Middle England

Mixed messages; previous government put back the date to full EV/restriction on ICE it was bound to have an impact.

By *ostindreamsMan
5 hours ago

London

The EU has just voted to impose tariffs of up to 45% on Chinese EVs.

So they want people to move to EVs but wouldn't let them buy cheaper ones. So what exactly are the people supposed to do?

By *eroy1000Man
4 hours ago

milton keynes

"The EU has just voted to impose tariffs of up to 45% on Chinese EVs.

So they want people to move to EVs but wouldn't let them buy cheaper ones. So what exactly are the people supposed to do?"

Presumably this is to protect their own manufacturers being undercut, bit like America has done. The trouble could be in retaliation from China who could put tariffs on goods going to them that are important to western manufacturers. In the end someone suffers

By *irldnCouple
2 hours ago

Brighton

So they want people to move to EVs but wouldn't let them buy cheaper ones. So what exactly are the people supposed to do?"

Buy European EVs?

By *otMe66Man
2 hours ago

Terra Firma

So they want people to move to EVs but wouldn't let them buy cheaper ones. So what exactly are the people supposed to do?

Buy European EVs?"

Where is choice if the EU are going down such a harsh road of protectionism? The EU EV's could be a bad investment, do little for progression of the tech and cost more in greenhouse gasses than a Chinese variant.

This looks to me as an autarky strategy from the EU, not surprising but worrying.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
2 hours ago

Glasgow

"The registrations of new diesel cars for private buyers in September grew by about 17.2% compared with the same month in 2023. That compares with a rise of approximately 3.7% for pure battery electric cars.

Has Reeves any money in the pot or will there be tax/fuel/ved rises for ICE vehicles to enable discounts on EV’s

There are 2 reasons I wouldn’t have an EV. The first is range, which gets demonstrably worse in cold weather. The second is the lack of charging infrastructure (and do I really want to hang around for 2 hours to recharge even if I could find a rapid charger to complete my journey compared to a couple of minutes to refill the tank?)

Then you get to the arguments about the virtue signalling of it all when you look at the supply chain carbon emissions and the carbon that would be generated in producing the electricity needed to charge the cars.

The interesting thing is the behaviour of the middle market car sellers. I don’t know if people have twigged that the big auction houses like BCA no longer allow private buyers to bid, and have created reseller brands like Cazoo as an outlet? Do a bit of google earth image searching of former RAF airfields - you’ll see stockpiles of thousands of cars, vans and trucks that are owned by the leasing companies being witheld from the market to reduce supply and inflate the market value. This is going to become the gambit as the net zero madness truely takes hold. "

Didn't Cazoo go bankrupt..?

By *exy_HornyCouple
1 hour ago

Leigh

Buy European EVs?"

Generally, too expensive.

By *mmmMaybeCouple
11 minutes ago

West Wales

BYD one of the biggest Chinese manufacturers are already building a European plant as I think are others, so maybe the tariff is to protect not just current European manufacturers who have been slow to adapt but also to protect EU investment in these new plants?

At a personal level over the last six years we've been removing fossil fuels as much as we can from our lives through planned obsolescence.

Oil heating went first replaced by an ASHP which on its own saved next to nothing. Then we got some solar but didn't worry about batteries & just got paid for our excess in summer to offset the heat pump in winter. Then we went from a petrol/LPG car to a leased EV & the full maintenance lease & insurance costs the same pm as our tax/maintenance/insurance of our previous vehicle. We got a specific EV (Nissan Leaf) because it was designed from day one to be capable of bidirectional charging. We got on a trial for VtoH & post trial it's still working fine.

So, upshot is we use a lot of electrical power but that's it, no oil, no gas & we now light the wood burner very occasionally because we want to, not because we need it to help our underpowered old oil system. We use what no one (currently) wants so pay 7ppu for overnight juice, it goes in the EV & the home & once our cheap period ends the EV runs the home & together with the solar we export any extra we don't need back to the grid for a profit. Now some might say that's a heck of an investment overall & yes it is, but we bought this home knowing it needed work so got it cheaper & our expenditure has been spread over six years.

Are we helping? Must be somewhere, all I know is where we used to spend annually £3k on oil,£500 on logs, £500 on electricity & £2k on petrol/LPG we now spend £1.5k which includes 12k per year in the EV.

Our actual electricity bill from April to October is £256, not per month, the whole period & that's with our heating on in April & from early September due to our location.

With some of that saving we've bought more solar panels to increase our generation, upgraded areas of poorer insulation & replaced the worst of our old single glazed windows & are about to do the next three, longer term our energy use will only go down & if you ignored fuel types & just measured it in joules of energy it already has.

Those saying what happens if the power goes off, well here we are "Islanded" meaning our solar will still work & continue to put energy into the home or our EV & also means we can still draw on the EV to run the home for at least a few days if we don't go cooking roast dinners & use the wood burner for heating, but the lights & TV's can stay on

We don't mind doing "Our bit" as long as long term we see a benefit either financially or environmentally but preferably both.

Agree 100% with the other poster who said we are wasting our time though.

World population today 7.7bill, by 2050 10+bill. The population of the UK in the industrial revolution was less than that of London today, the population of the world was 1.2billion less than the population of India today.

To me our population growth is the real problem but outside of the Middle East conflict turning into a mini WW3 & wiping a few billion out I don't think there's a world wide answer to that one.

S

Post new Message to Thread