Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Sir Starmers clothing allowance

Jump to newest

By *usie p OP   TV/TS
7 days ago

taunton

Crikey another 16K this morning I hope he is using some of it to send us pensioners a nice woolly jumper at xmas

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

"Crikey another 16K this morning I hope he is using some of it to send us pensioners a nice woolly jumper at xmas"

Did that include new specs? Or will that be extra?

By *ovebjsMan
7 days ago

Bristol

Just how many down and outs has this lord helped out or donated too? It’s like one millionaire giving gifts to another millionaire 🤦

Starmer is worth a hell of a lot more than the 2 million his house is worth

By *melie LALWoman
7 days ago

Peterborough

It's not tax payers money.

I see a lot of jealousy.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
7 days ago

BRIDPORT

"It's not tax payers money.

I see a lot of jealousy.

"

It’s OK folks, nothing to see here.

As long as it’s not taxpayers money politicians can take money, gifts and favours to their heart’s content

By *uietbloke67Man
7 days ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"Crikey another 16K this morning I hope he is using some of it to send us pensioners a nice woolly jumper at xmas"

Your just jealous ...if only it was taxpayers wallpaper, or tax payers helicopters then maybe I'd take notice.

Once again, he is the leader of our country, do you want him to look smart or like a guy pulled through a hedge backwards

By *oxychick35Couple
7 days ago

thornaby

"Crikey another 16K this morning I hope he is using some of it to send us pensioners a nice woolly jumper at xmas

Your just jealous ...if only it was taxpayers wallpaper, or tax payers helicopters then maybe I'd take notice.

Once again, he is the leader of our country, do you want him to look smart or like a guy pulled through a hedge backwards "

he’s leader of Labour Party the one that’s supposed to represent the working class so I’d like him to look like he’s working class atleast corbyn did that

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Many of us were critical of any whiff of impropriety for any member of the Tory govt. If they were in receipt of gifts we jumped on it asking what influence it provided the “donor”.

Why should Starmer get a pass?

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

I see a lot of jealousy.

"

It doesn’t pass the smell test. Smacks of someone buying influence. Surely you see that?

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

"Crikey another 16K this morning I hope he is using some of it to send us pensioners a nice woolly jumper at xmas

Once again, he is the leader of our country, do you want him to look smart or like a guy pulled through a hedge backwards "

That’s the only other option, is it? If he doesn’t get free clothes he would look like a tramp?

He is worth millions though, surely he could afford to buy his own clothes?

By *eroy1000Man
7 days ago

milton keynes

Apart from having his clothes bought for him, do you think there is another way he could look smart. Is he so poor that he can't afford to pay his way

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
7 days ago

nearby

Political donations are not tax deductible for donor.

So why have Starmer, Reeves and Rayner obfuscated them.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
7 days ago

nearby

This donation was reportedly declared initially by Starmer as 'money for his private office'

By *igNick1381Man
7 days ago

BRIDGEND

I see a lot of jealousy.

It doesn’t pass the smell test. Smacks of someone buying influence. Surely you see that? "

There's no ignorance like wilful ignorance

By *estivalMan
7 days ago

borehamwood

the bloke is a multi millionaire he can afford to buy his own clobber rather than taking freebies from someone who is gona want something in return somewhere along the line

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

I see a lot of jealousy.

"

Exactly what they want from the electorate

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

perfect, the labour propaganda machine doing its thing again so beautifully!

It is a force to be reckoned with.

22 billion blackhole, inherited, Lord Alli wanted us to look good, he wanted a labour government.

All words and phrases being pumped out by labour at every opportunity.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

I see a lot of jealousy.

It doesn’t pass the smell test. Smacks of someone buying influence. Surely you see that? "

Isn't this an example of the cronyism you attach to Boris?

By *uietbloke67Man
6 days ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Once again, he is the leader of our country, do you want him to look smart or like a guy pulled through a hedge backwards he’s leader of Labour Party the one that’s supposed to represent the working class so I’d like him to look like he’s working class atleast corbyn did that "

What does looking working class look like.

He was and they were elected to represent the whole of the country, not just one section.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 days ago

Pershore

If SKS was truly working class he'd wear a flat cap, muffler and donkey jacket.

By *ak777Man
6 days ago

shaw

and own a Whippet.

By *oubleswing2019Man
5 days ago

Colchester

" he can afford to buy his own clobber rather than taking freebies from someone who is gona want something in return somewhere along the line"

Agreed.

The very second he accepted the "gift", it created or fertilised the ground for reciprocity. And placed Lord Ali in a position of power of SKS. That could be exploited for "opportunity" or "control" further down the line.

When is a gift "not a gift" ?

Whenever the donor decides to attach strings later on.

We've got to end this culture of "donations/gifts/hosptality/whatever" to politicians.

Make it illegal to give any gift to a politician. And all such attempts at gifts must be publicly recorded, so the gift-givers can be exposed.

By *allySlinkyWoman
5 days ago

Leeds

"If SKS was truly working class he'd wear a flat cap, muffler and donkey jacket."

As did Michael Foot who was mocked for it.

By *immyinreadingMan
5 days ago

henley on thames

I see a lot of jealousy.

It doesn’t pass the smell test. Smacks of someone buying influence. Surely you see that?

There's no ignorance like wilful ignorance "

Explain please?

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

Are M&S clothes designed and made in the UK (I doubt the latter, not much is these days is it?). They do a decent enough line in suits for around the £100-200 mark. Why can’t SKS wear those (and pay himself like all other office workers do)? He should buy and promote British right?

Agree with some of the comments around gifts/donations to politicians. It doesn't sit right and opens them up to criticism even if no e was due. Just stop it.

Increase salaries for MPs but hugely restrict acceptable expenses (in line with Civil Service actually). Stop gifts too.

Party donations are more problematic.

By *idnight RamblerMan
5 days ago

Pershore

"Are M&S clothes designed and made in the UK (I doubt the latter, not much is these days is it?). They do a decent enough line in suits for around the £100-200 mark. Why can’t SKS wear those (and pay himself like all other office workers do)? He should buy and promote British right?

Agree with some of the comments around gifts/donations to politicians. It doesn't sit right and opens them up to criticism even if no e was due. Just stop it.

Increase salaries for MPs but hugely restrict acceptable expenses (in line with Civil Service actually). Stop gifts too.

Party donations are more problematic. "

"Made in UK" is a good point. If Mossad can put explosives in pagers, who's to say a tracker or mic couldn't be stitched into the PM's clothes by some nefarious actors?

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

"Are M&S clothes designed and made in the UK (I doubt the latter, not much is these days is it?). They do a decent enough line in suits for around the £100-200 mark. Why can’t SKS wear those (and pay himself like all other office workers do)? He should buy and promote British right?

Party donations are more problematic.

"Made in UK" is a good point. If Mossad can put explosives in pagers, who's to say a tracker or mic couldn't be stitched into the PM's clothes by some nefarious actors?"

All the more reason to buy off the peg

By *otMe66Man
5 days ago

Terra Firma

If politicians were forced to pay tax on their gifts, I’m sure there would be a huge downturn in accepted gifts.

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

"If politicians were forced to pay tax on their gifts, I’m sure there would be a huge downturn in accepted gifts. "

Don’t give them ideas, we’ll all be paying tax on gifts otherwise!

By *melie LALWoman
5 days ago

Peterborough

"Many of us were critical of any whiff of impropriety for any member of the Tory govt. If they were in receipt of gifts we jumped on it asking what influence it provided the “donor”.

Why should Starmer get a pass? "

Govt ministers didnt/don't have to declare if it's to do with work. Others do. Govt wants to change this (LK sunday).

By *melie LALWoman
5 days ago

Peterborough

"If politicians were forced to pay tax on their gifts, I’m sure there would be a huge downturn in accepted gifts.

Don’t give them ideas, we’ll all be paying tax on gifts otherwise!"

I'm happy to pay tax on my annual box of chocs / cheap wine.

By *otMe66Man
5 days ago

Terra Firma

"If politicians were forced to pay tax on their gifts, I’m sure there would be a huge downturn in accepted gifts.

I would have called you crazy 3 months ago, for such an idea……

By *otMe66Man
5 days ago

Terra Firma

"Many of us were critical of any whiff of impropriety for any member of the Tory govt. If they were in receipt of gifts we jumped on it asking what influence it provided the “donor”.

Govt ministers didnt/don't have to declare if it's to do with work. Others do. Govt wants to change this (LK sunday)."

Of course they want to change it now they are under the spotlight with Starmer being person with the highest amount of gifts in parliament…..

They hope this allows them to look like butter wouldn’t melt, but they are fixing a problem they’ve been the number 1 exploiters of.

By *ill69888Couple
5 days ago

manchester

I see a lot of jealousy.

"

so if this was a Conservative PM getting this type of freebie, for these large amounts of money, by a Conservative donor, you wouldn’t have a problem with it?

I think I smell bullshit….

By *lfasoCouple
5 days ago

South East

It’s called inheritance tax.

By *enSiskoMan
5 days ago

Cestus 3

I see a lot of jealousy.

"

No not really, I saw all this coming I have said on here for months now, they will get in and then blame the tories that their plans cannot now be met.

They are all the same, and they will never change until the electorate gives them a bloody nose.

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 30/09/24 08:44:52]

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

Don’t give them ideas, we’ll all be paying tax on gifts otherwise!

It’s called inheritance tax."

Plan ahead and just don’t die yet

Or have typos grrrr

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

I see a lot of jealousy.

No not really, I saw all this coming I have said on here for months now, they will get in and then blame the tories that their plans cannot now be met.

They are all the same, and they will never change until the electorate gives them a bloody nose."

The thing is there is an in year financial black hole. The OBR wrote a letter to HMT about it (although the language it uses is all rather opaque to me).

I suspect the reason they won’t publish in detail is that it will be embarrassing to some govt departments as while it would highlight fiscal negligence by the Tory govt, it would also highlight financial mismanagement by a handful of govt depts too!

By *immyinreadingMan
5 days ago

henley on thames

"If politicians were forced to pay tax on their gifts, I’m sure there would be a huge downturn in accepted gifts. "

Fair point. Tax as BIK, or abolish gifts completely

By *immyinreadingMan
5 days ago

henley on thames

I see a lot of jealousy.

They are all the same, and they will never change until the electorate gives them a bloody nose.

The thing is there is an in year financial black hole. The OBR wrote a letter to HMT about it (although the language it uses is all rather opaque to me).

I suspect the reason they won’t publish in detail is that it will be embarrassing to some govt departments as while it would highlight fiscal negligence by the Tory govt, it would also highlight financial mismanagement by a handful of govt depts too!"

Problem is, if they don’t publish details it’s hard to know what to believe. Transparency …

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

I see a lot of jealousy.

I suspect the reason they won’t publish in detail is that it will be embarrassing to some govt departments as while it would highlight fiscal negligence by the Tory govt, it would also highlight financial mismanagement by a handful of govt depts too!

Problem is, if they don’t publish details it’s hard to know what to believe. Transparency … "

Agreed. I think it will have to come out eventually but the narrative around it will be carefully considered first.

Saying that the “solution” is staring them in the face! Just point out that the last NIC cut was not actually funded without cuts!

By *ools and the brainCouple
5 days ago

couple, us we him her.

All the shit the Tories got away with and people are getting bent out of shape over a few freebies.

So hand's up who here doesn't have a single perk of their job no matter how small?

Taking extra coffee break maybe or ciggy break's.

Diddling expenses when away for training or conference?

Raiding the stationary cupboard?

Knocking off early?

The list goes on

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

"All the shit the Tories got away with and people are getting bent out of shape over a few freebies.

So hand's up who here doesn't have a single perk of their job no matter how small?

Knocking off early?

The list goes on "

It is all about optics.

The Tories were a shitshow of corruption, cronyism, apparent back handers etc. Labour said they would stop all of that and return trust and ethics back into politics. So it really doesn’t look good.

When the Government are removing WFA from pensioners using a cliff edge approach to decide who loses it rather than (too expensive to administer) a gradual loss of benefit, but at the same time MPs/Ministers are claiming £000s to heat their homes/2nd homes, it looks really badly judged.

By *ools and the brainCouple
5 days ago

couple, us we him her.

"All the shit the Tories got away with and people are getting bent out of shape over a few freebies.

Knocking off early?

The list goes on

It is all about optics.

The Tories were a shitshow of corruption, cronyism, apparent back handers etc. Labour said they would stop all of that and return trust and ethics back into politics. So it really doesn’t look good.

When the Government are removing WFA from pensioners using a cliff edge approach to decide who loses it rather than (too expensive to administer) a gradual loss of benefit, but at the same time MPs/Ministers are claiming £000s to heat their homes/2nd homes, it looks really badly judged."

Fair points

By *arakiss12TV/TS
5 days ago

Bedford

The thing is he still looks like he's wearing £5 specs and a Primark suit, not dissing Primark.

The donor is a left over from Blair's world. Is their some kind of triangle going on and if so to what end.

Not so much Marx,Stalin,Commy. But a bit cult like. Alot of the current Labour members sound a bit brainwashed and look glassy eyed when interviewed or speeching.

By *melie LALWoman
5 days ago

Peterborough

Govt ministers didnt/don't have to declare if it's to do with work. Others do. Govt wants to change this (LK sunday).

Of course they want to change it now they are under the spotlight with Starmer being person with the highest amount of gifts in parliament…..

They hope this allows them to look like butter wouldn’t melt, but they are fixing a problem they’ve been the number 1 exploiters of. "

Oh ffs

The media are making a song and dance over declarations made as the leader of the opposition over a five year period. Note: the PMs over the same period didn't have to declare.

By *emma StonesTV/TS
5 days ago

Crewe

They hope this allows them to look like butter wouldn’t melt, but they are fixing a problem they’ve been the number 1 exploiters of. "

How do you know he has the highest amount of gifts in parliment ?

By *usybee73Man
5 days ago

in the sticks

Wonders if someone on benefits got gifted this much would receive the same treatment from the public or state?

By *astandFeistyCouple
5 days ago

Bournemouth

They hope this allows them to look like butter wouldn’t melt, but they are fixing a problem they’ve been the number 1 exploiters of.

How do you know he has the highest amount of gifts in parliment ?"

It's widely reported.

By *otMe66Man
5 days ago

Terra Firma

How do you know he has the highest amount of gifts in parliment ?"

It is well publicised...

1st) Starmer 107145 Labour

2nd) Palmer 40289 Labour

3rd) Smith 32509 Conservative

By *otMe66Man
5 days ago

Terra Firma

Oh ffs

The media are making a song and dance over declarations made as the leader of the opposition over a five year period. Note: the PMs over the same period didn't have to declare. "

Are you going to tell me Lord Alli wanted him to look good for the election

By *emma StonesTV/TS
5 days ago

Crewe

It is well publicised...

2nd) Palmer 40289 Labour

"

What about the unreported ones?

By *melie LALWoman
4 days ago

Peterborough

It is well publicised...

2nd) Palmer 40289 Labour

What about the unreported ones?"

That's my point. But RRs don't care cos it was their lot in govt who had the right not to declare!

By *enSiskoMan
4 days ago

Cestus 3

"Wonders if someone on benefits got gifted this much would receive the same treatment from the public or state?"

That person on benefits would have the value of the gift taken off their next benefit payment.

Like those carers earlier this year.

By *emma StonesTV/TS
4 days ago

Crewe

I don’t think any politician should be accepting any form of gift but I think it’s ironic that the party which has been the most transparent are the ones being attacked.

The fact that the last government changed the rules so that ministers didn’t have to declare any donations when surely they were the very people who someone would want to influence.

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 days ago

Bournemouth

"I don’t think any politician should be accepting any form of gift but I think it’s ironic that the party which has been the most transparent are the ones being attacked.

The fact that the last government changed the rules so that ministers didn’t have to declare any donations when surely they were the very people who someone would want to influence."

To say ministers don't have to declare any donations is nonsense.

The rules were changed but not to what you seem to be claiming.

By *melie LALWoman
4 days ago

Peterborough

"I don’t think any politician should be accepting any form of gift but I think it’s ironic that the party which has been the most transparent are the ones being attacked.

The fact that the last government changed the rules so that ministers didn’t have to declare any donations when surely they were the very people who someone would want to influence."

Someone else gets it. I thought I was banging my head against the wall.

By *otMe66Man
4 days ago

Terra Firma

The fact that the last government changed the rules so that ministers didn’t have to declare any donations when surely they were the very people who someone would want to influence.

Someone else gets it. I thought I was banging my head against the wall."

The change really wasn't what you think it is

By *usie p OP   TV/TS
4 days ago

taunton

I started this tongue in cheek I don't really give a fook that has been given pressies lol no more than I gave a fook Bojo had a party or Hancock was shagging his PA at least they were trying to tell us what to do in the best hope of protecting ourselves even if they did not set an example. I was hoping we would have a period without having to waste valuble time answering for corruption in disguise, but it does not look good for the future if they have been this thick so far.

By *immyinreadingMan
3 days ago

henley on thames

Knocking off early?

The list goes on "

Spending months living in an 18 million pound penthouse and then lying about it, grossly underestimating the value? Nah, i haven’t done that.

And in my industry, gifts were capped at 50 quid and still had to be reported.

So, you fiddle your expenses and steal stationery? No, we don’t all do that

By *immyinreadingMan
3 days ago

henley on thames

Oh ffs

The media are making a song and dance over declarations made as the leader of the opposition over a five year period. Note: the PMs over the same period didn't have to declare. "

Not really. The media are kicking up a fuss about lying. Lying and coverups often cause more damage than what is being covered up.

Sks has history when it comes to not making honest declarations, and he hasn’t learned from it … so it is biting him in the ass

By *melie LALWoman
3 days ago

Peterborough

Oh ffs

The media are making a song and dance over declarations made as the leader of the opposition over a five year period. Note: the PMs over the same period didn't have to declare.

Not really. The media are kicking up a fuss about lying. Lying and coverups often cause more damage than what is being covered up.

Sks has history when it comes to not making honest declarations, and he hasn’t learned from it … so it is biting him in the ass "

As long as he doesn't match Bojo, we're probably all good

By *eroy1000Man
3 days ago

milton keynes

It is well publicised...

2nd) Palmer 40289 Labour

"

According to a person on politics live the other week, SKS is even more impressive in his lead as not only is he top of the list, he has also had more freebies than all Labour leaders have had, put together, going back to 1997.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
3 days ago

nearby

Says on the news he’s repaid £6k worth of recent freebies

Like Mrs Sunak non dom status, she was embarrassed into voluntarily paying tax, now Starmers been embarrassed to repay the freebies

By *ravelmanxxxMan
2 days ago

Newcastle/Durham

"Says on the news he’s repaid £6k worth of recent freebies

Like Mrs Sunak non dom status, she was embarrassed into voluntarily paying tax, now Starmers been embarrassed to repay the freebies

"

The tool cherrypicking the freebies he returns, he comes across as a vile horrible narcissistic person. Bet he’s vile to work for.

By *enSiskoMan
2 days ago

Cestus 3

His father was a toolmaker, in a factory.

But he never said that his father owned that factory.

By *ravelmanxxxMan
2 days ago

Newcastle/Durham

"His father was a toolmaker, in a factory.

But he never said that his father owned that factory."

Keir was the best tool he ever made. Pity his father didn’t just have a wank

Post new Message to Thread