Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Pensioner killed by cyclist

Jump to newest

By *usybee73 OP   Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13894243/Cyclist-punched-killed-widower.html

An elderly widower was punched to the floor and killed after he remonstrated with a cyclist for riding his bike on the pavement.

Retired engineer Michael Dawson, 78, pointed at Nathan Pilling and told him to get off his bike and push it after the younger man cycled near him on the footpath in Bury, Greater Manchester.

So modern Britain in all it's glory, deliberately hit a pensioner for being told off, get 5 years ...

Attend a riot, or threatening behaviour on social media and get the same punishment 🤔

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

"https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13894243/Cyclist-punched-killed-widower.html

An elderly widower was punched to the floor and killed after he remonstrated with a cyclist for riding his bike on the pavement.

Retired engineer Michael Dawson, 78, pointed at Nathan Pilling and told him to get off his bike and push it after the younger man cycled near him on the footpath in Bury, Greater Manchester.

So modern Britain in all it's glory, deliberately hit a pensioner for being told off, get 5 years ...

Attend a riot, or threatening behaviour on social media and get the same punishment 🤔 "

Gross over-simplification. Nobody got 5 years for “atrending” a riot. The did get such sentences for attacking our police force and trying to kill people or get people killed.

By *ools and the brainCouple
1 week ago

couple, us we him her.

"https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13894243/Cyclist-punched-killed-widower.html

Attend a riot, or threatening behaviour on social media and get the same punishment 🤔 "

Should read pensioner killed by moron, being a cyclist doesn't make you a killer, being a killer makes you a killer sounds like the perpetrator would have killed at some point regardless of being on a bike or not.

Stop trying to make it sound like cyclists are going out of their way to kill people.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
1 week ago

Glasgow

So I take it your pro rioting..

By *usie pTV/TS
1 week ago

taunton

Bikes should not be ridden on a footpath that includes the pavement for obvious reasons of safety but common sense seems to have vanished.

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

Attend a riot, or threatening behaviour on social media and get the same punishment 🤔

Should read pensioner killed by moron, being a cyclist doesn't make you a killer, being a killer makes you a killer sounds like the perpetrator would have killed at some point regardless of being on a bike or not.

Stop trying to make it sound like cyclists are going out of their way to kill people."

It was a cyclist though. And the incident appears to have its origins in him cycling illegally on a footpath. So mentioning that he was a cyclist is relevant.

It’s not like they randomly reported that the guy was a Pisces or something.

And I doubt if anyone would draw the conclusion that you suggest, that all cyclists are murderers.

Fact is, if he had been cycling on the road, like he was supposed to be, the old man would still be alive, and the cyclist would not have ruined his own life too.

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

"Bikes should not be ridden on a footpath that includes the pavement for obvious reasons of safety but common sense seems to have vanished."

It may be common sense that is in short supply. Or common courtesy.

But it is bloody obvious that cyclists should not be on the footpath.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
1 week ago

Central

A lot of the riot and disgusting behaviour was terrorist type activity and probably tougher sentences were appropriate as such.

This murderer sounds like his sentence was much too lenient too.

1 week ago

Glasgow

"Bikes should not be ridden on a footpath that includes the pavement for obvious reasons of safety but common sense seems to have vanished."

I've seen police riding bikes on the pavement. It's a pandemic that needs clamped down on.

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

"A lot of the riot and disgusting behaviour was terrorist type activity and probably tougher sentences were appropriate as such.

This murderer sounds like his sentence was much too lenient too. "

It seems that the general verdict on this forum in relation to most sentences is that they are too lenient. Last week, several posters were strongly proposing death sentences for paedophiles, for example, by methods including “torching” and guillotine.

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

"Bikes should not be ridden on a footpath that includes the pavement for obvious reasons of safety but common sense seems to have vanished.

I've seen police riding bikes on the pavement. It's a pandemic that needs clamped down on."

I once saw a police car breaking the speed limit. Should I report that too? And it was making a lot of noise

1 week ago

Glasgow

"Bikes should not be ridden on a footpath that includes the pavement for obvious reasons of safety but common sense seems to have vanished.

I've seen police riding bikes on the pavement. It's a pandemic that needs clamped down on.

I once saw a police car breaking the speed limit. Should I report that too? And it was making a lot of noise "

Who would you report it too..?

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

I once saw a police car breaking the speed limit. Should I report that too? And it was making a lot of noise

Who would you report it too..?"

Fair question.

By *ornucopiaMan
1 week ago

Bexley

Stop trying to make it sound like cyclists are going out of their way to kill people."

'Moron cyclist' would have been more precise.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
1 week ago

BRIDPORT

Who would you report it too..?"

You can take the reg number and report it to the headquarters of the relevant constabulary.

I have a couple of friends who are retired police persons, if they got flashed by a speed camera they had to show justification for the speed they were travelling, if it didn’t wash, they were liable to get the points.

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

You can take the reg number and report it to the headquarters of the relevant constabulary.

I have a couple of friends who are retired police persons, if they got flashed by a speed camera they had to show justification for the speed they were travelling, if it didn’t wash, they were liable to get the points. "

I was joking. Police often have to break the law in pursuit of their duties. I hoped my comment about the police car making a lot of noise might have made it clear …

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
7 days ago

BRIDPORT

I have a couple of friends who are retired police persons, if they got flashed by a speed camera they had to show justification for the speed they were travelling, if it didn’t wash, they were liable to get the points.

I was joking. Police often have to break the law in pursuit of their duties. I hoped my comment about the police car making a lot of noise might have made it clear … "

I was referring to when they are at work and doing their duty.

They don’t have cart-Blanche to tear around even when they are responding they are accountable.

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

I was joking. Police often have to break the law in pursuit of their duties. I hoped my comment about the police car making a lot of noise might have made it clear …

They don’t have cart-Blanche to tear around even when they are responding they are accountable. "

There are exceptions. For example, they are allowed to fire up the sirens and floor it if they are running low on doughnuts, or if they need a shite

By *usie pTV/TS
7 days ago

taunton

The real issue with this incident is the fact that a 23/24 year old man thought it was OK to punch out a 78 year old, I mean what the fook is wrong with the mentality of people to do such a thing.

By *immyinreadingMan
7 days ago

henley on thames

"The real issue with this incident is the fact that a 23/24 year old man thought it was OK to punch out a 78 year old, I mean what the fook is wrong with the mentality of people to do such a thing. "

Something similar happened to an old guy I know. Mid-70’s, told a teenager who was arsing around doing wheelies down the middle of a road in Putney to stop it, and the lad got off his bike, punched him and broke his nose. Once you punch someone in the head like that, a whole range of outcomes are possible

By *usie pTV/TS
7 days ago

taunton

I can't help but think that these type of people are beyond reasoning with and the only punishment that might have some chance of working was made illegal in the early 1900s

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
7 days ago

BRIDPORT

They don’t have cart-Blanche to tear around even when they are responding they are accountable.

There are exceptions. For example, they are allowed to fire up the sirens and floor it if they are running low on doughnuts, or if they need a shite "

A properly trained police officer should never be in a situation where they find themselves low on doughnuts

By *icolerobbieCouple
6 days ago

walsall

Stop trying to make it sound like cyclists are going out of their way to kill people.

It was a cyclist though. And the incident appears to have its origins in him cycling illegally on a footpath. So mentioning that he was a cyclist is relevant.

And I doubt if anyone would draw the conclusion that you suggest, that all cyclists are murderers.

Fact is, if he had been cycling on the road, like he was supposed to be, the old man would still be alive, and the cyclist would not have ruined his own life too. "

Also, if the old guy had kept his mouth shut, the sad outcome may have been avoided. I’m not condoning punching people.

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing and avoid putting yourself at risk.

The real issue is that a young man attacked an elderly man.

What kind of scumbag would do that.

By *ornucopiaMan
5 days ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 30/09/24 08:05:04]

By *ornucopiaMan
5 days ago

Bexley

"

What kind of scumbag would do that. "

Yeah.. Should be attacking oeople of his own age or, at the very least, fit middle aged people!

By *immyinreadingMan
5 days ago

henley on thames

There are exceptions. For example, they are allowed to fire up the sirens and floor it if they are running low on doughnuts, or if they need a shite

A properly trained police officer should never be in a situation where they find themselves low on doughnuts "

Yeah, but it happens.

By *immyinreadingMan
5 days ago

henley on thames

Fact is, if he had been cycling on the road, like he was supposed to be, the old man would still be alive, and the cyclist would not have ruined his own life too.

Also, if the old guy had kept his mouth shut, the sad outcome may have been avoided. I’m not condoning punching people.

What kind of scumbag would do that. "

Agreed. Very sad that we are suggesting that people ignore anti-social behaviour for fear of being killed.

By *ools and the brainCouple
5 days ago

couple, us we him her.

Agreed. Very sad that we are suggesting that people ignore anti-social behaviour for fear of being killed.

"

It's the world we now live in unfortunately.

We have allowed anti social behaviour become the norm,cuts in policing and sensible policing.

A whole generation growing up never being told "NO" this kind of thing is commonplace only a few short weeks ago an elderly gent killed by tennagers.

But every time someone even hints at greater discipline in society the apologists and softly softly approach brigade starts jumping up and down.

Anti social behaviour is an epidemic that's been allowed to go too far, people do pretty much whatever they want these days.

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

It's the world we now live in unfortunately.

We have allowed anti social behaviour become the norm,cuts in policing and sensible policing.

A whole generation growing up never being told "NO" this kind of thing is commonplace only a few short weeks ago an elderly gent killed by tennagers.

But every time someone even hints at greater discipline in society the apologists and softly softly approach brigade starts jumping up and down.

Anti social behaviour is an epidemic that's been allowed to go too far, people do pretty much whatever they want these days."

With you on this.

The fundamental problems with crime generally start out with anti-social behaviour. That needs to be stamped on hard. It creates tension and issues within communities.

Not far from me is a corner shop/convenience store. Run by a really nice family. Doing their best to provide a good service for their neighbours (they live above the shop). No price gouging. Just an honest shopkeeper from what I can tell.

He has had his window smashed twice by little fuckers wearing hoodies. They have also come into his shop to terrorise him. Stealing. Wrecking it more than once. People know who these kids are (not know by name but seen them about). But with hoodies up and no evidence the police can seemingly do nothing.

These same kids (90% certain it is the same kids) zoom around at night on scooters, graffiti has appeared etc. They are little oiks!

However…the tide may have turned. Not due to the police but what can only really be described as mild vigilanteism. A fair few of the people on my road (and surrounding) are almost certainly big time villains (or play the part). I am told that one/some of them confronted these lads with an ultimatum recently (not sure what it was but I reckon it scared the shit out of them). Not been back for a while.

By (user no longer on site)
5 days ago

"It's the world we now live in unfortunately.

A whole generation growing up never being told "NO" this kind of thing is commonplace only a few short weeks ago an elderly gent killed by teenagers.

Anti social behaviour is an epidemic that's been allowed to go too far, people do pretty much whatever they want these days."

My experience of kids/young people is they're mostly a much nicer bunch than that I remember of my own generation. Unfortunately the minority though are a fair bit worse.

We have a generation of parents (possibly two!) who happily send their kids to begin school without having bothered to toilet train them. Parents who instead of acknowledging their need to better parent insist on having heir little darlings diagnosed with any sort of neurological condition to excuse their behaviour. (They then claim similar diagnoses for themselves to excuse their shit parenting). Parents who give more of their attention to their phone than to their kids.

We also have far less community based support. Less resources in schools and social services. Less community based policing. And we have a culture and economic system that expects both parents to work full time with kids palmed off to whoever will take them. We have parents who can't afford school uniforms or to heat their homes. Families living in mould infested housing. Kids growing up in households that know only stress.

The solutions are more than giving kids a 'NO'... although teaching parents to actually do it from time to time would help.

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

"It's the world we now live in unfortunately.

A whole generation growing up never being told "NO" this kind of thing is commonplace only a few short weeks ago an elderly gent killed by teenagers.

Anti social behaviour is an epidemic that's been allowed to go too far, people do pretty much whatever they want these days.

My experience of kids/young people is they're mostly a much nicer bunch than that I remember of my own generation. Unfortunately the minority though are a fair bit worse.

We have a generation of parents (possibly two!) who happily send their kids to begin school without having bothered to toilet train them. Parents who instead of acknowledging their need to better parent insist on having heir little darlings diagnosed with any sort of neurological condition to excuse their behaviour. (They then claim similar diagnoses for themselves to excuse their shit parenting). Parents who give more of their attention to their phone than to their kids.

We also have far less community based support. Less resources in schools and social services. Less community based policing. And we have a culture and economic system that expects both parents to work full time with kids palmed off to whoever will take them. We have parents who can't afford school uniforms or to heat their homes. Families living in mould infested housing. Kids growing up in households that know only stress.

The solutions are more than giving kids a 'NO'... although teaching parents to actually do it from time to time would help."

I recognise a lot of what you say here but take issue with the sweeping generalisation lumping parents together as a homogenous whole. You should preface this with SOME parents

By *icolerobbieCouple
4 days ago

walsall

"

It really is, but your personal safety should come first, I know mine would.

Post new Message to Thread