Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Now he's attacking the Kids !!!!

Jump to newest

By *atEvolution OP   Couple
7 days ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

No Happy Meals !!!! And a 'Fluck 🖕 You' to the fast food industry.

Education is what is needed, along with parents teaching kids the benefits of a balanced diet.

****** Junk food adverts to be banned online and on TV before 9pm next year

Andrew Gwynne, the health minister, has revealed plans to implement restrictions on junk food advertising on TV and online from October 2025.

In a Written Ministerial Statement, Mr Gwynne said Labour intends to introduce the measure - which would prevent junk food advertising on TV before 9pm - "without further delay".

He said: "We will introduce a 9pm watershed on TV advertising, and a total ban on paid-for online advertising. ******

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idnight RamblerMan
7 days ago

Pershore

Some mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt our national diet is crap - way too much low quality, sugary, salty junk food. It takes a toll on health, and by extension becomes a burden on the NHS. On the other hand, do we want a Nanny State with politicians deciding what we tuck into? Or is education on nutrition the answer? But then it's 2024, and every bit of information to make informed decisions on diet is out there already.

By *exy_HornyCouple
7 days ago

Leigh

Unfortunately junk food doesn't kill people quickly enough. If it did, then natural selection should be allowed to determine the outcome.

As it is, poor diet leads to chronic illness, which is a burden on society. Education seems to have failed, therefore legislation may be necessary.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
7 days ago

Central

For too long self- regulation has been shown to be ineffective. The previous 24 year's lot were all for it.

Advertising is very powerful, hence £billions being spent on. And children's minds very open to influence. I'm generally in favour of the tiny amount of information on it, I've seen here.

There should be reformulations of much of the food that's sold, a lot of high in salt and sugars and not particularly healthy. The sugar tax did cause some good changes, to drinks, so we would probably benefit for similar on a lot of our food.

But limiting children's exposure to junk food advertising is almost certainly a positive thing

By *ophieslutTV/TS
7 days ago

Central

"Some mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt our national diet is crap - way too much low quality, sugary, salty junk food. It takes a toll on health, and by extension becomes a burden on the NHS. On the other hand, do we want a Nanny State with politicians deciding what we tuck into? Or is education on nutrition the answer? But then it's 2024, and every bit of information to make informed decisions on diet is out there already."

If we follow strong, scientific evidence, for the benefit of the public, then it's the type of justification that we should have a government with appropriate powers and which uses them. Letting the market determine everything, is a sure-fire way to ensure that it will only be bottom line profits that determine everything. Life's too precious for that

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
7 days ago

Border of London

It would help if kids actually watched live TV with advertisements.

Most kids will be streaming or watching TikTok, where influencers will be telling them to shove crisps and icing sugar up their noses as a challenge...

7 days ago

"It would help if kids actually watched live TV with advertisements.

Most kids will be streaming or watching TikTok, where influencers will be telling them to shove crisps and icing sugar up their noses as a challenge..."

Well, if it's up their noses, at least there won't be a weight gain. Might be a 999 call however

By *ouple4voyeurCouple
7 days ago

Birmingham

Welcome to the UKs equivalent to North Korea.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
7 days ago

Hastings

"No Happy Meals !!!! And a 'Fluck 🖕 You' to the fast food industry.

Education is what is needed, along with parents teaching kids the benefits of a balanced diet.

Andrew Gwynne, the health minister, has revealed plans to implement restrictions on junk food advertising on TV and online from October 2025.

In a Written Ministerial Statement, Mr Gwynne said Labour intends to introduce the measure - which would prevent junk food advertising on TV before 9pm - "without further delay".

He said: "We will introduce a 9pm watershed on TV advertising, and a total ban on paid-for online advertising. ******"

Surly this should I in clude all sugar based food items sweets and chocolate, wonder if Gregs will be in or out of the ban ?? This is going to be a fine line to walk.

Guess Mc Donald's could advertise fruit bags and salad, just not Happy meals.

By *bsolutely nutsMan
7 days ago

Dover

I have no problem with encouraging a reduction in unhealthy eating but stopping such advertising before 9pm doesn't stop the adults/carers of those kids from pushing unhealthy options.

Shouldn't adults be better educated? We seem to have reduced the number of smokers in the UK. (Health warnings on food packaging may be an option)

By *melie LALWoman
7 days ago

Peterborough

He said: "We will introduce a 9pm watershed on TV advertising, and a total ban on paid-for online advertising. ******"

Click bait title or what.

Whether this will reduce kids asking for McDonald's or a takeaway or not remains to be seen. But it certainly couldn't hurt trying.

Personally I'd like govt interference in processed food contents such as maximum saturated fats, trans fats, salt and carbs (ie sugars) per 100g of processed foods. Encouragement for retailers/manufacturers to reduce prices (or vat reduction) on non-processed foods to make them more accessible.

People don't just need educating but availability and affordability.

7 days ago

[Removed by poster at 12/09/24 16:48:46]

By *ortyairCouple
7 days ago

Wallasey

The government should also ban false advertising on foods. Saying stuff is 'healthy' just because it says its 'low fat' should result in products being withdrawn and followed up with fines. You should not be able to claim your product is healthy if its not. Processed foods are terrible for your health, stick to whole foods, all the rest is basically garbage.

Mrs x

7 days ago

"

"

Oh! Really, do feel free 'not' to click on any title I post.

By *idnight RamblerMan
7 days ago

Pershore

Here's an example of what any government is up against with junk food. Today's reporting of story from Daily Telegraph :-

"Sir Keir Starmer is preparing a raft of nanny state interventions on public health as he scrambles to save the NHS from collapse."

The irony being that it's DT readers moaning because they can't get their hip operations done, yet this is the mentality.

By *ortyairCouple
7 days ago

Wallasey

"Here's an example of what any government is up against with junk food. Today's reporting of story from Daily Telegraph :-

"Sir Keir Starmer is preparing a raft of nanny state interventions on public health as he scrambles to save the NHS from collapse."

The irony being that it's DT readers moaning because they can't get their hip operations done, yet this is the mentality."

This mentality is not just restricted to things like this.

Just look at any budget based thread on here. You've got posters saving that Labour should raise revenue through Income Tax and NI raises, who prior to the election were screaming blue murder against such things. And this is from those already under the burden of the highest personal taxation this country has seen and Tory voters, seem to be shouting this the loudest. The world's gone mad haha,

Mrs x

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Most kids will be streaming or watching TikTok, where influencers will be telling them to shove crisps and icing sugar up their noses as a challenge..."

Was going to say same thing. Does the 9pm watershed apply to online advertising and product placement

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Most kids will be streaming or watching TikTok, where influencers will be telling them to shove crisps and icing sugar up their noses as a challenge...

Was going to say same thing. Does the 9pm watershed apply to online advertising and product placement "

AND…just saw it does say online LOL

By *arry and MegsCouple
7 days ago

Ipswich

He said: "We will introduce a 9pm watershed on TV advertising, and a total ban on paid-for online advertising. ******

Whether this will reduce kids asking for McDonald's or a takeaway or not remains to be seen. But it certainly couldn't hurt trying.

Personally I'd like govt interference in processed food contents such as maximum saturated fats, trans fats, salt and carbs (ie sugars) per 100g of processed foods. Encouragement for retailers/manufacturers to reduce prices (or vat reduction) on non-processed foods to make them more accessible.

People don't just need educating but availability and affordability. "

It's kind of difficult to see the " Now he's attacking kids " content in the op

7 days ago

"

It's kind of difficult to see the " Now he's attacking kids " content in the op"

No Happy Meals - No Toy - ?

My 16 old niece feels attacked! I know because she told me so.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
7 days ago

nearby

Fully agree with this. The adverts should be banned.

A third of children overweight.

37% adults overweight and 26% obese.

A strain on the nhs

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
7 days ago

Border of London

Was going to say same thing. Does the 9pm watershed apply to online advertising and product placement

AND…just saw it does say online LOL"

In which online time zone? That would be technically possible, but very interesting, to police...

By *eard and TattsCouple
7 days ago

Cwmbran

I'm all for this. Kids and adults alike eat fucking shite

By *eard and TattsCouple
7 days ago

Cwmbran

Would they need a TV licence?

7 days ago

And banning adverts for fast food before 9pm will change what precisely? Please say!

The Big Yellow M won't disappear from every retail park in every city in the UK before 9pm, will it? Foolish, nay stupid, to think that it will. Kids are blind, aren't they?

7 days ago

Saturday Dads.

Maccy's the favourite go to.

Change the Parent. Change the Child.

7 days ago

Stop blaming the kids. Start talking to parents.

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

"Stop blaming the kids. Start talking to parents. "

My child was 13 before setting foot inside a McDonalds and even then it was when they went into town with a group of friends rather than either of us. Luckily they are very health conscious and national level sports person so…Maccies is a very rare thing, as are fizzy drinks and other shite.

By *arry and MegsCouple
7 days ago

Ipswich

"And banning adverts for fast food before 9pm will change what precisely? Please say!

The Big Yellow M won't disappear from every retail park in every city in the UK before 9pm, will it? Foolish, nay stupid, to think that it will. Kids are blind, aren't they?

"

Bring back the ads for silk cut and Carlsberg

Hail freedom

By *ermbiMan
4 days ago

Ballyshannon

Very misleading title on this thread. Parents need educating in this area first on balanced diets.

By *melie LALWoman
4 days ago

Peterborough

"

Oh! Really, do feel free 'not' to click on any title I post. "

Nah, some of your threads are good 😘

By *ronisMan
4 days ago

Edinburgh

Stalinists.

By *immyinreadingMan
4 days ago

henley on thames

"Some mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt our national diet is crap - way too much low quality, sugary, salty junk food. It takes a toll on health, and by extension becomes a burden on the NHS. On the other hand, do we want a Nanny State with politicians deciding what we tuck into? Or is education on nutrition the answer? But then it's 2024, and every bit of information to make informed decisions on diet is out there already.

If we follow strong, scientific evidence, for the benefit of the public, then it's the type of justification that we should have a government with appropriate powers and which uses them. Letting the market determine everything, is a sure-fire way to ensure that it will only be bottom line profits that determine everything. Life's too precious for that "

So you’re all for nanny state initiatives then. Fair enough. Where would you draw the line? Completely ban smoking?

Compulsory exercise?

Ban meat?

…. Or let people decide how to live their lives?

By *immyinreadingMan
4 days ago

henley on thames

"Stop blaming the kids. Start talking to parents. "

Who is “blaming” children? Not sure I understand that comment

By *immyinreadingMan
4 days ago

henley on thames

"And banning adverts for fast food before 9pm will change what precisely? Please say!

"

Yes, not convinced that banning advertising will achieve much, if anything.

The big providers will just shovel the saved money into other initiatives like promotions, special offers etc

By *immyinreadingMan
4 days ago

henley on thames

"

My 16 old niece feels attacked! I know because she told me so. "

Your 16 year old niece feels “attached” because she might not get a “happy” meal of a toy?

If you’d said 6 year old …

By *enSiskoMan
4 days ago

Cestus 3

One of the reasons people use Maccy D is to save on fuel costs, it is cheaper to buy off the saver menu than to cook a balanced meal.

If they looked into the reasons people use fast food then maybe there would be no need for a ban.

4 days ago

"

My 16 old niece feels attacked! I know because she told me so.

Your 16 year old niece feels “attached” because she might not get a “happy” meal of a toy?

If you’d said 6 year old … "

I'm no kid and I love toys.

And if my niece feels like it's an attack on her, then that's how she feels.

By *lasgowbobMan
2 days ago

Glasgow

"Some mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt our national diet is crap - way too much low quality, sugary, salty junk food. It takes a toll on health, and by extension becomes a burden on the NHS. On the other hand, do we want a Nanny State with politicians deciding what we tuck into? Or is education on nutrition the answer? But then it's 2024, and every bit of information to make informed decisions on diet is out there already."

They’re not deciding what we can tuck into. They are limiting the advertising of crap to kids.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
2 days ago

Bedford

So if I see an advert after 9pm say around 11pm I'm gonna start feeling hungry, get a burger before bed not work it off, sounds really healthy.

Besides most kids don't go to sleep before 9pm.

It's not not popular, it's stupid.

Why not do it properly and not half hearted and ban them totally like ciggy ads. Or maybe they're scared of upsetting the food industry.

I think the health department should concentrate on hospital building.

By *usybee73Man
2 days ago

in the sticks

Won't make much difference

Fat parents, fat kids ... and it will carry on.

Maybe do the Japanese method of fining fatties

By *exy_HornyCouple
2 days ago

Leigh

"One of the reasons people use Maccy D is to save on fuel costs, it is cheaper to buy off the saver menu than to cook a balanced meal.

If they looked into the reasons people use fast food then maybe there would be no need for a ban."

It is not cheaper to buy a takeaway than to cook a balanced meal.

I believe (although it is years since I was in a McDonald's so I had to look it up online) a saver meal deal is either £3.99 or £4.79. That is for one person, we cook between 4 and 8 portions for that amount (depending on what we are cooking).

Education is the key. This can be self education as a cookbook in a charity shop is only a few pence.

By *immyinreadingMan
2 days ago

henley on thames

"So if I see an advert after 9pm say around 11pm I'm gonna start feeling hungry, get a burger before bed not work it off, sounds really healthy.

Besides most kids don't go to sleep before 9pm.

It's not not popular, it's stupid.

Why not do it properly and not half hearted and ban them totally like ciggy ads. Or maybe they're scared of upsetting the food industry.

I think the health department should concentrate on hospital building. "

Changes like this tend to happen in increments. Tobacco is a good example, their sponsorship opportunities got curtailed, packaging rules came in (cancer warnings), but the full extent of restrictions didn’t happen in one step.

By *anifestoMan
2 days ago

ferns/ cork

I'm waiting for the twitter ban and I may consider moving back

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
2 days ago

Gilfach

"One of the reasons people use Maccy D is to save on fuel costs, it is cheaper to buy off the saver menu than to cook a balanced meal.

If they looked into the reasons people use fast food then maybe there would be no need for a ban."

"It is not cheaper to buy a takeaway than to cook a balanced meal.

I believe (although it is years since I was in a McDonald's so I had to look it up online) a saver meal deal is either £3.99 or £4.79. That is for one person, we cook between 4 and 8 portions for that amount (depending on what we are cooking)."

Do you? Including the cost of the energy to cook it, and the energy to chill/freeze it, and the cost of spoilage when things go off?

Some people consider their time to be valuable, and will gladly pay money to have food available instantly rather than spending time cooking it.

By *exy_HornyCouple
2 days ago

Leigh

If they looked into the reasons people use fast food then maybe there would be no need for a ban.

It is not cheaper to buy a takeaway than to cook a balanced meal.

I believe (although it is years since I was in a McDonald's so I had to look it up online) a saver meal deal is either £3.99 or £4.79. That is for one person, we cook between 4 and 8 portions for that amount (depending on what we are cooking).

Do you? Including the cost of the energy to cook it, and the energy to chill/freeze it, and the cost of spoilage when things go off?

Some people consider their time to be valuable, and will gladly pay money to have food available instantly rather than spending time cooking it."

Energy is very little if the slow cooker is used, or batch cooking is done when the solar panels are generating.

Chill and freeze, the appliances are running anyway. So again very little.

Time, throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning. Ready for the evening. 20 mins max. Faster than a takeaway.

Cost, 50p a portion for chili.

By *ill69888Couple
2 days ago

cheltenham

shows how out of touch they are…. Very few kids watch tv these days.

I wonder if they will ban ultra-processed ‘vegan’ products too? Have you seen then rubbish they pump into those items to attempt to make them palatable?

By *usybee73Man
2 days ago

in the sticks

He said: "We will introduce a 9pm watershed on TV advertising, and a total ban on paid-for online advertising. ******shows how out of touch they are…. Very few kids watch tv these days.

I wonder if they will ban ultra-processed ‘vegan’ products too? Have you seen then rubbish they pump into those items to attempt to make them palatable?"

That would annoy the Guardian crowd ...

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
2 days ago

BRIDPORT

I think the post watershed ban on advertising is pretty pointless and just a gimmick.

Better food labeling legislation and nutritional education would be a good step forward.

Post new Message to Thread