Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Covid corruption

Jump to newest

By *usybee73 OP   Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

An anti-corruption charity says it has identified significant concerns in contracts worth over £15.3bn awarded by the Conservative government during the Covid pandemic, equivalent to one in every £3 spent.

Transparency International UK found 135 “high-risk” contracts with at least three red flags - warning signs of a risk of corruption.

Twenty-eight contracts worth £4.1bn went to firms with known political connections, while 51 worth £4bn went through a "VIP lane" for companies recommended by MPs and peers, a practice the High Court ruled was unlawful.

A Conservative spokesperson said: “Government policy was in no way influenced by the donations the party received – they are entirely separate.”

Transparency International UK analysed 5,000 contracts for red flags.

The charity said its analysis also indicated that almost two thirds of high-value contracts to supply items such as masks and protective medical equipment during the pandemic, adding up to a total of £30.7bn, were awarded without any competition.

A further eight contracts worth a total of £500m went to suppliers no more than 100 days old – another red flag for corruption.

Normal safeguards designed to protect the process of bidding for government contracts from corruption were suspended during the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevj3y7n33vo

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

My surprise would be that anybody would be surprised by these findings. Mone was the tip of the iceberg it seems.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

And yet people defend those thieving , corrupt, self-serving, opportunistic, bastards!

The Johnson govt facilitated the largest transfer of public assets (in this case taxpayers money) into private hands ever.

The really sickening thing is they will get away scott free when some should be in prison.

And yeah Mone/Barrowman are the tip of the iceberg and being pushed out there as public scapegoats (guilty though) to distract from others.

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

"And yet people defend those thieving , corrupt, self-serving, opportunistic, bastards!

The Johnson govt facilitated the largest transfer of public assets (in this case taxpayers money) into private hands ever.

The really sickening thing is they will get away scott free when some should be in prison.

And yeah Mone/Barrowman are the tip of the iceberg and being pushed out there as public scapegoats (guilty though) to distract from others."

But it'll be Labour’s fault for not turning the country around in 2.5 seconds.

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

"And yet people defend those thieving , corrupt, self-serving, opportunistic, bastards!

And yeah Mone/Barrowman are the tip of the iceberg and being pushed out there as public scapegoats (guilty though) to distract from others."

I'm not for one moment defending any person who was corrupt or corrupted in the handling of this, I'm interested in other opinions / ideas that would have provided better outcomes under the circumstances we found ourselves in as a nation?

By *iman2100Man
1 week ago

Glasgow

I think Thatcher was the queen of selling off the family silver to offer tax cuts to her supporters.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

And yeah Mone/Barrowman are the tip of the iceberg and being pushed out there as public scapegoats (guilty though) to distract from others.

I'm not for one moment defending any person who was corrupt or corrupted in the handling of this, I'm interested in other opinions / ideas that would have provided better outcomes under the circumstances we found ourselves in as a nation?

"

The processes were already in place to award contracts to experienced providers. DHSC have framework agreements in place and rosters of suppliers. The VIP lane was unnecessary and open to abuse because Ministers and Tory party (and it was ONLY Tory party) grandees and cronies circumvented process under the cover if an emergency and saying JFDI.

Even relaxing usual due diligence via the existing supplier frameworks would have opened less doors for corruption.

How anyone can defend/excuse, for example, A crisp manufacturer securing a PPE contract, or Matt Hancock’s pub landlord mate getting a £20m contract to deliver glass test tubes, or awarding multi-million £ contracts to newly formed offshore companies with no trading history, is quite frankly having a laugh!

There were established British based companies with completely relevant experience who did not get awarded contracts.

A complete and corrupt farce!

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

The processes were already in place to award contracts to experienced providers. DHSC have framework agreements in place and rosters of suppliers. The VIP lane was unnecessary and open to abuse because Ministers and Tory party (and it was ONLY Tory party) grandees and cronies circumvented process under the cover if an emergency and saying JFDI.

Even relaxing usual due diligence via the existing supplier frameworks would have opened less doors for corruption.

How anyone can defend/excuse, for example, A crisp manufacturer securing a PPE contract, or Matt Hancock’s pub landlord mate getting a £20m contract to deliver glass test tubes, or awarding multi-million £ contracts to newly formed offshore companies with no trading history, is quite frankly having a laugh!

There were established British based companies with completely relevant experience who did not get awarded contracts.

A complete and corrupt farce!"

Why did the government need to fast track if the companies and processes were in place.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 week ago

golden fields

"

Maybe instead of prioritising getting as much wealth into the pockets of Tory party donors, friends and neighbours, they should have tried to focus on doing the right thing for the country. Seems bonkers I know, but still.

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

Maybe instead of prioritising getting as much wealth into the pockets of Tory party donors, friends and neighbours, they should have tried to focus on doing the right thing for the country. Seems bonkers I know, but still."

What stopped the government from focusing on doing the right thing?

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Why did the government need to fast track if the companies and processes were in place."

They didn’t! That is the point.

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

Why did the government need to fast track if the companies and processes were in place.

They didn’t! That is the point. "

This is going to sound like a stupid question… why did they go down the vip and fast track route, and why were they trying to get PPE from outside the uk from places like Turkey

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

£15bn

Pensioners gas grab is £1.5bn

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Maybe instead of prioritising getting as much wealth into the pockets of Tory party donors, friends and neighbours, they should have tried to focus on doing the right thing for the country. Seems bonkers I know, but still.

What stopped the government from focusing on doing the right thing? "

Here comes the “it was a national emergency/needed to act fast” excuse which is actually a spurious defence. IF and I do mean IF the existing supplier frameworks could not meet govt demands (it could, many suppliers were not even asked and many put in offers and were not responded to), then why WHY was the VIP Lane ONLY open to Tory party MPs, Ministers, Peers? If it was in the national interest, why not open up to anyone with good contacts?

They were cashing in (with our money). It was disaster economics in full swing.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

They didn’t! That is the point.

This is going to sound like a stupid question… why did they go down the vip and fast track route, and why were they trying to get PPE from outside the uk from places like Turkey "

I’ve answered in your reply to Johnny.

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

Here comes the “it was a national emergency/needed to act fast” excuse which is actually a spurious defence. IF and I do mean IF the existing supplier frameworks could not meet govt demands (it could, many suppliers were not even asked and many put in offers and were not responded to), then why WHY was the VIP Lane ONLY open to Tory party MPs, Ministers, Peers? If it was in the national interest, why not open up to anyone with good contacts?

They were cashing in (with our money). It was disaster economics in full swing. "

You’ve assumed incorrectly. We both know the answer, why did government need to fast track?

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

You’ve assumed incorrectly. We both know the answer, why did government need to fast track?"

I haven’t!

Why are you so cryptic these days. If you have a specific point to make then make it!

By *ortyairCouple
1 week ago

Wallasey

Greed??? Mrs x

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
1 week ago

Glasgow

Sometimes you read anout politicians all around the world doing something you think know one, not even their supporters can support this.

But no, they always do, come hell or high water.

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

££££££££££££

By *ortyairCouple
1 week ago

Wallasey

They were cashing in (with our money). It was disaster economics in full swing. "

This Mrs x

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

You’ve assumed incorrectly. We both know the answer, why did government need to fast track?

I haven’t!

Why are you so cryptic these days. If you have a specific point to make then make it!"

The story of VIP and fast track is not one dimensional, you know as well as I do that there was no national inventory and no sharing of data between NHS regions or even practices within those regions, this led to confusion and the creation of VIP and fast tracking.

The shambles that followed needs to be understood and corruption, that is real corruption not I think it is dodgy, be prosecuted and dealt with in court.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I haven’t!

Why are you so cryptic these days. If you have a specific point to make then make it!

The story of VIP and fast track is not one dimensional, you know as well as I do that there was no national inventory and no sharing of data between NHS regions or even practices within those regions, this led to confusion and the creation of VIP and fast tracking.

The shambles that followed needs to be understood and corruption, that is real corruption not I think it is dodgy, be prosecuted and dealt with in court.

"

Not quite!

A) The DHSC did/does have procurement frameworks with pre-vetted specialist suppliers. Inventory is a separate issue to supply.

B) It still doesn’t answer why the VIP Lane was only open to those with connections to the Tory party. If the priority during a national emergency was to quickly secure essential items, then why was access politicised?

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

I haven’t!

Not quite!

A) The DHSC did/does have procurement frameworks with pre-vetted specialist suppliers. Inventory is a separate issue to supply.

B) It still doesn’t answer why the VIP Lane was only open to those with connections to the Tory party. If the priority during a national emergency was to quickly secure essential items, then why was access politicised? "

The VIP lane wasn't only open to tory party mp's or ministers.

The selections were mostly from tory mp's or ministers and the fast tracking was illegal due to unfair advantages chosen suppliers had over other suppliers.

As I have said, if corruption is found it should be dealt with, but saying something looks dodgy is not proof of corruption.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I haven’t!

Not quite!

B) It still doesn’t answer why the VIP Lane was only open to those with connections to the Tory party. If the priority during a national emergency was to quickly secure essential items, then why was access politicised?

The selections were mostly from tory mp's or ministers and the fast tracking was illegal due to unfair advantages chosen suppliers had over other suppliers.

As I have said, if corruption is found it should be dealt with, but saying something looks dodgy is not proof of corruption. "

How many referrals from non-Tory MPs, Ministers, or Peers were explored by the VIP Lane process?

Don’t worry this is rhetorical because the answer is ZERO! None! NONE!!!!

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

I haven’t!

Not quite!

As I have said, if corruption is found it should be dealt with, but saying something looks dodgy is not proof of corruption.

How many referrals from non-Tory MPs, Ministers, or Peers were explored by the VIP Lane process?

Don’t worry this is rhetorical because the answer is ZERO! None! NONE!!!! "

How many referrals were made altogether and how many accepted.

By *izandpaulCouple
1 week ago

merseyside

Would I have accepted a contract to start a company from scratch, locate a source for some PPE items, calculate the cost landed, bang on a huge profit but miniscule as a percentage of turnover, government guarantees for all invoices to be paid, no returns.

Absolutely not.

Why on earth would I want to make a shed load of cash with no risk. !!!!!

By *ellhungvweMan
1 week ago

Cheltenham

I am going to take a slightly different angle - the idea that we had/have a viable large scale procurement capability is just not true. If anyone has ever had to go through a procurement process for a governmental or large organisation will tell you that they are not fit for purpose. The costs and timescales that many systems have taken over multiple decades - both in this country and elsewhere - are eye watering. Large corporates are as bad as government here.

The idea of of a centralised procurment capability is a great one in theory but it fails to deliver in practice.

When it is put under immense time pressure, like during COVID, then I am amazed that anyone else is amazed it didn’t work.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I haven’t!

Not quite!

"

We can go around this all day long!

1 in 10 applications via the VIP Lane were awarded. All Tory connected.

1 in 100 via normal routes.

Companies with specialist knowledge and experience based in the UK (paying UK taxes) with established trading history were ignored when they approached govt.

Companies with no experience or in some cases no trading history at all that came via the VIP Lane were successful. Some of which were registered overseas in tax havens.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it is probably a duck

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

"I am going to take a slightly different angle - the idea that we had/have a viable large scale procurement capability is just not true. If anyone has ever had to go through a procurement process for a governmental or large organisation will tell you that they are not fit for purpose. The costs and timescales that many systems have taken over multiple decades - both in this country and elsewhere - are eye watering. Large corporates are as bad as government here.

The idea of of a centralised procurment capability is a great one in theory but it fails to deliver in practice.

When it is put under immense time pressure, like during COVID, then I am amazed that anyone else is amazed it didn’t work."

The Crown Commercial Service recommended several ways to relax the procurement process to speed up securing PPE and other medical supplies. It was rejected in favour of setting up the VIP Lane with resources redirected to managing that with a JFDI instruction. The VIP Lane only entertained applications/tenders from companies with Tory connections.

If the issue was speed of procurement and delivery then the VIP Lane did not need to be politicised. It was a national emergency, why care where the referral came from?

By *ellhungvweMan
1 week ago

Cheltenham

"I am going to take a slightly different angle - the idea that we had/have a viable large scale procurement capability is just not true. If anyone has ever had to go through a procurement process for a governmental or large organisation will tell you that they are not fit for purpose. The costs and timescales that many systems have taken over multiple decades - both in this country and elsewhere - are eye watering. Large corporates are as bad as government here.

When it is put under immense time pressure, like during COVID, then I am amazed that anyone else is amazed it didn’t work.

The Crown Commercial Service recommended several ways to relax the procurement process to speed up securing PPE and other medical supplies. It was rejected in favour of setting up the VIP Lane with resources redirected to managing that with a JFDI instruction. The VIP Lane only entertained applications/tenders from companies with Tory connections.

If the issue was speed of procurement and delivery then the VIP Lane did not need to be politicised. It was a national emergency, why care where the referral came from?"

I agree entirely with you about the source of the referral. I am not denying the issue about abuse.

My point is deeper in that the fundamental purchasing approach is broken and has been for decades. If ways to speed up the process were found so quickly then my question would be why were they not being used anyway?

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

If the issue was speed of procurement and delivery then the VIP Lane did not need to be politicised. It was a national emergency, why care where the referral came from?

I agree entirely with you about the source of the referral. I am not denying the issue about abuse.

My point is deeper in that the fundamental purchasing approach is broken and has been for decades. If ways to speed up the process were found so quickly then my question would be why were they not being used anyway?"

Ok agreed but raising that could be construed as excusing what happened. It doesn’t! There were ways to expedite but instead that was ignored. Why?

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

I haven’t!

Not quite!

Companies with specialist knowledge and experience based in the UK (paying UK taxes) with established trading history were ignored when they approached govt.

Companies with no experience or in some cases no trading history at all that came via the VIP Lane were successful. Some of which were registered overseas in tax havens.

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it is probably a duck "

If what you say is correct it will not take long to prosecute corruption. I don't think you will be happy with that, because you are coming across as everything was corrupt, which will not be the outcome in the majority of cases I would hope.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I’d have less of an issue if the VIP Lane had open to all in an effort to speed up procurement. It may still have been a shitshow with some fall out (bad contracts, awful VFM) but it could be argued in a time of national emergency they relaxed rules for the benefit of the nation. Instead it looks like it was for the benefit of those with Tory connections!

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I haven’t!

Not quite!

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it is probably a duck

If what you say is correct it will not take long to prosecute corruption. I don't think you will be happy with that, because you are coming across as everything was corrupt, which will not be the outcome in the majority of cases I would hope. "

That is how you are choosing to interpret. Of course there were good contracts amongst the crap.

I have very little faith anything will really happen as a result of the Inquiry. Does it ever?

By *oxychick35Couple
1 week ago

thornaby

I haven’t!

Not quite!

If what you say is correct it will not take long to prosecute corruption. I don't think you will be happy with that, because you are coming across as everything was corrupt, which will not be the outcome in the majority of cases I would hope.

That is how you are choosing to interpret. Of course there were good contracts amongst the crap.

I have very little faith anything will really happen as a result of the Inquiry. Does it ever?"

sadly nothing will come of it

By *ellhungvweMan
1 week ago

Cheltenham

"

My point is deeper in that the fundamental purchasing approach is broken and has been for decades. If ways to speed up the process were found so quickly then my question would be why were they not being used anyway?

Ok agreed but raising that could be construed as excusing what happened. It doesn’t! There were ways to expedite but instead that was ignored. Why?"

Pointing out the fact that the system doesn’t work is NOT the same as condoning corruption.

If you want to root out corruption then you have to face into the fact that a broken system allows it to take place.

I am 100% behind making sure that those who have abused the system face justice. I am however ever more adamant that we need to change the way the system works because the cumulative impact of all the inefficiencies and cost overruns has a much greater societal impact than that of the Covid abuse.

Bureaucracies love a high level scandal because every one can get up in arms and be satisfied when the “names” are shamed or jailed but nothing actually changes underneath. That’s the real scandal.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

"

Ok agreed but raising that could be construed as excusing what happened. It doesn’t! There were ways to expedite but instead that was ignored. Why?

Pointing out the fact that the system doesn’t work is NOT the same as condoning corruption.

If you want to root out corruption then you have to face into the fact that a broken system allows it to take place.

I am 100% behind making sure that those who have abused the system face justice. I am however ever more adamant that we need to change the way the system works because the cumulative impact of all the inefficiencies and cost overruns has a much greater societal impact than that of the Covid abuse.

Bureaucracies love a high level scandal because every one can get up in arms and be satisfied when the “names” are shamed or jailed but nothing actually changes underneath. That’s the real scandal. "

Yep

By *otMe66Man
1 week ago

Terra Firma

"

I have very little faith anything will really happen as a result of the Inquiry. Does it ever?"

We have MP's and people of influence fraudulently betting on the date of the election, for a few pounds.

I'm sure there are some who saw the chaos of covid as an opportunity to make money.

My original point was the lack of a joined up procurement process in the NHS created an environment for these people to exploit.

I would imagine most will fly under the radar, as long as something was delivered or put in the incinerator and gone forever.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
1 week ago

Analysis find corruption in government contracts, It makes the news, A public inquiry is ordered, 3 years later and of the cost of millions new guide lines are written and a few people get smacks on the wrist and told not to do it again, If we are lucky a public apology is given and everyone moves on until the next list of corruption is uncovered.

1 week ago

Glasgow

"Analysis find corruption in government contracts, It makes the news, A public inquiry is ordered, 3 years later and of the cost of millions new guide lines are written and a few people get smacks on the wrist and told not to do it again, If we are lucky a public apology is given and everyone moves on until the next list of corruption is uncovered. "

Wash, rinse, repeat. I wonder if Paula Vennels and her cronies are feeling any uncomfort after the Post Office enquiry. Or are the subpostmasters been paid the compensation due.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
1 week ago

Central

Why did the government need to fast track if the companies and processes were in place."

Follow the £

By *enSiskoMan
1 week ago

Cestus 3

In the old Las Vegas casinos, when in the cash room were the money was counted, if the casino had made 3 million that night.

The gangsters would take 5 hundred thousand for themselves they called it the skim off the top.

Looks like they learned a to from those M.P's.

By *I TwoCouple
1 week ago

currently travelling down W France

While not defending any government for wasting money, do you have any idea how long it takes to run a competitive tender process for even the simplest things like medical masks or rubber gloves ?

They needed stuff now, not in 6-12 months, it only that, every country in the world was trying to buy the same stuff so most countries got stifged with cheap Chinese shite at 100x the actual cost.

By *usybee73 OP   Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

"While not defending any government for wasting money, do you have any idea how long it takes to run a competitive tender process for even the simplest things like medical masks or rubber gloves ?

They needed stuff now, not in 6-12 months, it only that, every country in the world was trying to buy the same stuff so most countries got stifged with cheap Chinese shite at 100x the actual cost."

I know personally of factories offering help to build medical equipment/parts for cost price and were shunned.

I can remember the depth of transport saying ppe was being held up due to lack of transport... I rang around with my connections/contacts and had at least 300 lorries/vans to go. Mailed the local mp, who deferred to to dept of health... had a reply 3 months later, saying no thank you!

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

"While not defending any government for wasting money, do you have any idea how long it takes to run a competitive tender process for even the simplest things like medical masks or rubber gloves ?

They needed stuff now, not in 6-12 months, it only that, every country in the world was trying to buy the same stuff so most countries got stifged with cheap Chinese shite at 100x the actual cost."

Not shite if it met quality control

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

They didn’t need to run a competitive tender process. The CCS had recommended a more relaxed approach to procurement that could have worked fine by focusing on those suppliers already on DHSC rosters/frameworks who had therefore already undergone necessary due diligence. Instead the Govt rejected that in favour of the VIP lane. Total shitshow.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

They needed stuff now, not in 6-12 months, it only that, every country in the world was trying to buy the same stuff so most countries got stifged with cheap Chinese shite at 100x the actual cost.

I know personally of factories offering help to build medical equipment/parts for cost price and were shunned.

I can remember the depth of transport saying ppe was being held up due to lack of transport... I rang around with my connections/contacts and had at least 300 lorries/vans to go. Mailed the local mp, who deferred to to dept of health... had a reply 3 months later, saying no thank you! "

Shame your local MP didn’t have some skin in the game, would soon have got expressed through the VIP lane (unless your MP wasn’t a Tory in which case forget it!)

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
1 week ago

golden fields

Greed.

By *deepdiveMan
1 week ago

France / Birmingham

Greed."

Strange that other countries in Europe didn't appear to have the same issues or costs as the UK (they did but not to the same extent and certainly didn't require a VIP lane).

Perhaps they did and nobody noticed.

..and what about the good old test and trace system that cost about £38bn, was headed up by the failed chief executive of TalkTalk who got thr job without even an interview (her husband had nothing to do with that obviously)?

Other countries didn't have nearly that cost yet their systems worked.

Guess they were just lucky.

By *usybee73 OP   Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

I can remember the depth of transport saying ppe was being held up due to lack of transport... I rang around with my connections/contacts and had at least 300 lorries/vans to go. Mailed the local mp, who deferred to to dept of health... had a reply 3 months later, saying no thank you!

Shame your local MP didn’t have some skin in the game, would soon have got expressed through the VIP lane (unless your MP wasn’t a Tory in which case forget it!)"

They were a Tory mp, think they got promoted afterwards... 🤔 heard the same was happening all over the west Midlands, don't forget in the west Midlands there's thousands of small engineering companies who can diverse like anything, and top quality too.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Shame your local MP didn’t have some skin in the game, would soon have got expressed through the VIP lane (unless your MP wasn’t a Tory in which case forget it!)

They were a Tory mp, think they got promoted afterwards... 🤔 heard the same was happening all over the west Midlands, don't forget in the west Midlands there's thousands of small engineering companies who can diverse like anything, and top quality too. "

Yep there were highly experienced specialist companies based in the UK who were offering their services to deliver PPE but they got ignored in favour of crisp companies, lest control companies, newly formed days before and registered in tax haven companies etc. What did they have in common? They were introduced to the VIP lane by Tory MPs, Tory Ministers, and Tory Peers. But don’t worry. Nothing to see here!

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

*pest control

By *I TwoCouple
1 week ago

currently travelling down W France

They didn’t need to run a competitive tender process. The CCS had recommended a more relaxed approach to procurement that could have worked fine by focusing on those suppliers already on DHSC rosters/frameworks who had therefore already undergone necessary due diligence. Instead the Govt rejected that in favour of the VIP lane. Total shitshow."

The suppliers on contract to CCS couldnt source sufficient product, I know, I was one and am aware of dozens of others. Supply chains fell apart

By *ellhungvweMan
1 week ago

Cheltenham

They didn’t need to run a competitive tender process. The CCS had recommended a more relaxed approach to procurement that could have worked fine by focusing on those suppliers already on DHSC rosters/frameworks who had therefore already undergone necessary due diligence. Instead the Govt rejected that in favour of the VIP lane. Total shitshow.

The suppliers on contract to CCS couldnt source sufficient product, I know, I was one and am aware of dozens of others. Supply chains fell apart"

This is a really important point. One of the things I have never understood was why, if the existing supply chain couldn’t handle it, did anyone think that a completely different supply chain could be set up?

I understand the political imperative to be seen to be doing something but it just makes no sense from an actual delivery perspective to think you can source goods from anywhere at short notice when the world has shut down.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

The suppliers on contract to CCS couldnt source sufficient product, I know, I was one and am aware of dozens of others. Supply chains fell apart

This is a really important point. One of the things I have never understood was why, if the existing supply chain couldn’t handle it, did anyone think that a completely different supply chain could be set up?

I understand the political imperative to be seen to be doing something but it just makes no sense from an actual delivery perspective to think you can source goods from anywhere at short notice when the world has shut down."

Precisely.

1 week ago

Glasgow

https://youtu.be/9WC67FUfTPk?si=9m4yV9_Oim4BlPIN

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

"*pest control"

Fumigation was needed in govt... GE done wonders .

A new broom sweeps clean

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

I understand the political imperative to be seen to be doing something but it just makes no sense from an actual delivery perspective to think you can source goods from anywhere at short notice when the world has shut down."

"Seen to be doing something" is definitely a govt dept philosophy. I see it all the time through the DHSC to the nhs.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
1 week ago

Border of London

"

Many new players popped up overnight. We have a close friend who did this. Existing supply chains were broken and were constrained by red tape and inflexible structures. Our friend managed to get very early, sizeable quantities of COVID tests and specialised PPE by working with the newly created, very dynamic market in Asia, going so far as to charter (and repurpose) a plane for delivery. Most established suppliers would never dream of doing this, not least because it required much out-of-the-box thinking and around-the-clock management.

Yes, our friend was "one of the good ones" (he probably had to be, since he didn't have political connections), but there was a genuine market for enterprising people to leverage their skills.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
1 week ago

Gilfach

"https://youtu.be/9WC67FUfTPk?si=9m4yV9_Oim4BlPIN"

Interesting fact: The "?si=9m4yV9_Oim4BlPIN" part of that link is Google's tracker. Anyone that clicks on that link gets traced to the person that shared it. "si" stands for Source Identifier. If you remove that part of the link, it still works, but you can't be traced back to the poster.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

"

I understand the political imperative to be seen to be doing something but it just makes no sense from an actual delivery perspective to think you can source goods from anywhere at short notice when the world has shut down.

Many new players popped up overnight. We have a close friend who did this. Existing supply chains were broken and were constrained by red tape and inflexible structures. Our friend managed to get very early, sizeable quantities of COVID tests and specialised PPE by working with the newly created, very dynamic market in Asia, going so far as to charter (and repurpose) a plane for delivery. Most established suppliers would never dream of doing this, not least because it required much out-of-the-box thinking and around-the-clock management.

Yes, our friend was "one of the good ones" (he probably had to be, since he didn't have political connections), but there was a genuine market for enterprising people to leverage their skills."

And THAT is a good thing BUT the VIP Lane only considering approaches with Tory connections is NOT! It should have bedn open to ANYONE who had a chance of doing what you describe.

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

I think we're in danger of viewing all this through the prism of hindsight. Remember as Covid spread we were in unchartered waters. Fast decisions had to be taken medically, socially and in competition with other countries. It was a desperate scramble to get something done that might (or might not) bring benefits. Outright cronyism isn't acceptable, but it's understandable why corners were cut. I find pious KC's at these enquiries sickening - where were they when the virus was eating our lungs?

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

I think we're in danger of viewing all this through the prism of hindsight. Remember as Covid spread we were in unchartered waters. Fast decisions had to be taken medically, socially and in competition with other countries. It was a desperate scramble to get something done that might (or might not) bring benefits. Outright cronyism isn't acceptable, but it's understandable why corners were cut. I find pious KC's at these enquiries sickening - where were they when the virus was eating our lungs?"

Nope! Was being said at the time loudly. No hindsight involved. Zero reason for the VIP lane to be Tory connections only. During a national emergency it should be all hands to the pump and politics ignored. Our taxpayer money was being sto-len in plain sight. During WWII war profiteering was a criminal offence. Should apply here too.

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

I think we're in danger of viewing all this through the prism of hindsight. Remember as Covid spread we were in unchartered waters. Fast decisions had to be taken medically, socially and in competition with other countries. It was a desperate scramble to get something done that might (or might not) bring benefits. Outright cronyism isn't acceptable, but it's understandable why corners were cut. I find pious KC's at these enquiries sickening - where were they when the virus was eating our lungs?"

Go to the virus forum and some well informed people tell you the pandemic was fake

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
1 week ago

Border of London

"

We have a close friend who did this. Existing supply chains were broken and were constrained by red tape and inflexible structures. Our friend managed to get very early, sizeable quantities of COVID tests and specialised PPE by working with the newly created, very dynamic market in Asia, going so far as to charter (and repurpose) a plane for delivery. Most established suppliers would never dream of doing this, not least because it required much out-of-the-box thinking and around-the-clock management.

Yes, our friend was "one of the good ones" (he probably had to be, since he didn't have political connections), but there was a genuine market for enterprising people to leverage their skills.

And THAT is a good thing BUT the VIP Lane only considering approaches with Tory connections is NOT! It should have bedn open to ANYONE who had a chance of doing what you describe."

100% agreed.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
1 week ago

in Lancashire

Just imagine if 3 years prior there had been a review into our preparedness as a country for a future pandemic and it had even made recommendations based on the facts that we were wholly unprepared in many areas..

Operation Cygnus..

Which was another casualty in the cult of nothing else but Brexit matters..

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

I think we're in danger of viewing all this through the prism of hindsight. Remember as Covid spread we were in unchartered waters. Fast decisions had to be taken medically, socially and in competition with other countries. It was a desperate scramble to get something done that might (or might not) bring benefits. Outright cronyism isn't acceptable, but it's understandable why corners were cut. I find pious KC's at these enquiries sickening - where were they when the virus was eating our lungs?

Nope! Was being said at the time loudly. No hindsight involved. Zero reason for the VIP lane to be Tory connections only. During a national emergency it should be all hands to the pump and politics ignored. Our taxpayer money was being sto-len in plain sight. During WWII war profiteering was a criminal offence. Should apply here too."

The problem is that public procurement procedures are long winded and bureaucratic. The government had to short-circuit the system to get things moving. If they lined their own pockets in doing so, that's fair enough - they're bang to rights. I was in Asia at the time of the Japan quake in 2011. Their government just handed out massive untendered works contracts to private companies solely on trust.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Nope! Was being said at the time loudly. No hindsight involved. Zero reason for the VIP lane to be Tory connections only. During a national emergency it should be all hands to the pump and politics ignored. Our taxpayer money was being sto-len in plain sight. During WWII war profiteering was a criminal offence. Should apply here too.

The problem is that public procurement procedures are long winded and bureaucratic. The government had to short-circuit the system to get things moving. If they lined their own pockets in doing so, that's fair enough - they're bang to rights. I was in Asia at the time of the Japan quake in 2011. Their government just handed out massive untendered works contracts to private companies solely on trust."

Your sound like you are excusing or hand waving away. A bit of a Cavalier attitude to money maybe? If so I hear there is a very nice Nigerian Prince who wants access to your bank account to deposit some money

The KEY point is that the “relaxed/fast track” approach was ONLY accessible and therefore utilised by those with Tory contacts/involvement. It was politicised and, to be proven, for personal gain.

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

The problem is that public procurement procedures are long winded and bureaucratic. The government had to short-circuit the system to get things moving. If they lined their own pockets in doing so, that's fair enough - they're bang to rights. I was in Asia at the time of the Japan quake in 2011. Their government just handed out massive untendered works contracts to private companies solely on trust.

Your sound like you are excusing or hand waving away. A bit of a Cavalier attitude to money maybe? If so I hear there is a very nice Nigerian Prince who wants access to your bank account to deposit some money

The KEY point is that the “relaxed/fast track” approach was ONLY accessible and therefore utilised by those with Tory contacts/involvement. It was politicised and, to be proven, for personal gain."

I'm just saying extraordinary situations require extraordinary actions, and that usual due diligence must be set aside. In any case, does more scrutiny mean better value? Look at defence procurement. Incredibly closely monitored and audited, yet nonetheless a 'black hole' of taxpayers money.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

The KEY point is that the “relaxed/fast track” approach was ONLY accessible and therefore utilised by those with Tory contacts/involvement. It was politicised and, to be proven, for personal gain.

I'm just saying extraordinary situations require extraordinary actions, and that usual due diligence must be set aside. In any case, does more scrutiny mean better value? Look at defence procurement. Incredibly closely monitored and audited, yet nonetheless a 'black hole' of taxpayers money."

Have you read the thread?

Crown Commercial Service (CCS) recommended an approach that, in my words, relaxed the normal govt procurement approach to speed things up with known suppliers. This was rejected by Ministers in favour of the VIP Lane.

Many British companies with expertise and experience with access to production/supply were ignored in favour of concentrating on fast tracking referrals by Tory MPs, Ministers, and Peers, sometimes for companies with zero experience or even newly formed companies registered in tax havens.

That isn’t putting aside normally slow bureaucratic processes, that is putting in place an alternative open to easy corruption and exploitation.

By *enSiskoMan
6 days ago

Cestus 3

Back in the day those who found themselves unemployed were required after a time to attend a DWP programme aimed at finding jobs.

The dept' I ran dealt with the barriers that lead to some unemployment housing, criminal record, drug use etc.

What has this got to do with government corruption?

The DWP outsourced this work to a company called A4E, who employed me.

The first thing I noticed was A4E were a blue chip company in the top ten, what is wrong with that, well A4E are funded by the tax payer, so the tax payer was footing a 750 million bill 6 monthly how can this be?

Then a work mate started talking about a web site called watching A4E which accused A4E of laundering billions of illegal arms sale made by the then Blairs labour gov', and I also saw C4 news doing reports about A4E to the point the chief ex had to come on and deny C4 allegations.

Anyway A4E got caught in a mass fraud which made the news ending the gov' contract.

The chief ex wasir given a job as the family tzar, 6 months later the same chief ex was caught paying herself 10 million pounds of tax payers money and was forced to resign.

Put A4E in wikipedia it is an interesting read.

Plus every employee at A4E were involved in money laundering without their knowledge, due to being paid by A4e.

This is why I do not vote, do not listen to anything a politician says because they are criminals no better than organised gangs, the only difference between organised crime and politicians is that we vote for politicians.

By *olling the hillsMan
5 days ago

Stevenage

"An anti-corruption charity says it has identified significant concerns in contracts worth over £15.3bn awarded by the Conservative government during the Covid pandemic, equivalent to one in every £3 spent.

Transparency International UK found 135 “high-risk” contracts with at least three red flags - warning signs of a risk of corruption.

Twenty-eight contracts worth £4.1bn went to firms with known political connections, while 51 worth £4bn went through a "VIP lane" for companies recommended by MPs and peers, a practice the High Court ruled was unlawful.

A Conservative spokesperson said: “Government policy was in no way influenced by the donations the party received – they are entirely separate.”

The charity said its analysis also indicated that almost two thirds of high-value contracts to supply items such as masks and protective medical equipment during the pandemic, adding up to a total of £30.7bn, were awarded without any competition.

A further eight contracts worth a total of £500m went to suppliers no more than 100 days old – another red flag for corruption.

Normal safeguards designed to protect the process of bidding for government contracts from corruption were suspended during the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevj3y7n33vo"

. What a ridiculous report ? The name of the charity is laughable.

Let's be realistic, Covid exposed sugnificant risks and we had to act quickly Boris Johnson and the government took all the steps necessary to save us from both disaster and financial ruin. We should all be extremely greatfull for their efforts. The voices of a few doubters can be safely ignored. Any company or individual engaging in criminal activity during the crisis is likely to feel the full force of the law.

To those who think that the contracts should have been put out to tender how many people did you want to die while we reviewed contracts .?

Some people have short memories and forget how much assistance the government gave during the crisis. Sadly we are all paying for it now and will be for a long time to come .

With the benefit of hindsight the extended lockdown was probably unnecessary and the cost could have been avoided .

By *ronisMan
5 days ago

Edinburgh

Same old same old. Are any governments not up to their necks on it?

What gets me is the fact that every politician went along with state policy. No challenge, no debate just follow. No televised debates between experts,medics and scientists who disagreed silenced, called anti vaxers, articles taken off line. The whole thing reeked.

A massive act of national self harm and no party complained. In fact labour wanted to keep measures in place longer.

They all suck.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
5 days ago

golden fields

"Same old same old. Are any governments not up to their necks on it?

What gets me is the fact that every politician went along with state policy. No challenge, no debate just follow. No televised debates between experts,medics and scientists who disagreed silenced, called anti vaxers, articles taken off line. The whole thing reeked.

A massive act of national self harm and no party complained. In fact labour wanted to keep measures in place longer.

They all suck."

GBeebies usually have a healthy dose of science deniers and conspiracy theorists to provide "balance". They definitely had a psudo-scientists etc on.

I got one am glad that extra time wasn't wasted consulting Mystic Meg and Paul Daniels.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
5 days ago

golden fields

"Same old same old. Are any governments not up to their necks on it?

They all suck.

GBeebies usually have a healthy dose of science deniers and conspiracy theorists to provide "balance". They definitely had a psudo-scientists etc on.

I got one am glad that extra time wasn't wasted consulting Mystic Meg and Paul Daniels."

*I for one...

By *usybee73 OP   Man
5 days ago

in the sticks

Not one of the msm questioned any of the government restrictions or policies, didn't labour want more? They were all there shoulder to shoulder talking shite whilst their back pockets bulged with share pay outs and back handed contracts... the population, watched like nodding dogs, accepted everything spoon fed.

By *irldnCouple
4 days ago

Brighton

"An anti-corruption charity says it has identified significant concerns in contracts worth over £15.3bn awarded by the Conservative government during the Covid pandemic, equivalent to one in every £3 spent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevj3y7n33vo. What a ridiculous report ? The name of the charity is laughable.

Let's be realistic, Covid exposed sugnificant risks and we had to act quickly Boris Johnson and the government took all the steps necessary to save us from both disaster and financial ruin. We should all be extremely greatfull for their efforts. The voices of a few doubters can be safely ignored. Any company or individual engaging in criminal activity during the crisis is likely to feel the full force of the law.

To those who think that the contracts should have been put out to tender how many people did you want to die while we reviewed contracts .?

Some people have short memories and forget how much assistance the government gave during the crisis. Sadly we are all paying for it now and will be for a long time to come .

With the benefit of hindsight the extended lockdown was probably unnecessary and the cost could have been avoided ."

YAY 🎉 PAT IS BACK 😁

By *melie LALWoman
4 days ago

Peterborough

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cevj3y7n33vo. What a ridiculous report ? The name of the charity is laughable.

With the benefit of hindsight the extended lockdown was probably unnecessary and the cost could have been avoided .

YAY 🎉 PAT HIS BACK 😁"

FTFY

Post new Message to Thread