Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Winter fuel payments

Jump to newest

By *mateur100 OP   Man
2 weeks ago

nr faversham

Irrelevant of the arguments and your political allegiance with the Tories and labour, is there any reason that a compromise between the two POVs can't be met with a sliding scale of winter payments? Seems ridiculously sensible to me so maybe that's the problem???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
2 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Irrelevant of the arguments and your political allegiance with the Tories and labour, is there any reason that a compromise between the two POVs can't be met with a sliding scale of winter payments? Seems ridiculously sensible to me so maybe that's the problem???"

The benefit of having a simple payment for all is that it's very easy to implement. Let people register and prove their age, then pay them.

A sliding scale means that you have to set up a system to keep track of all of those people's earnings, you have to create and maintain a system to do the calculations, you have to reclaim money if a person gets some unexpected extra income, you have to create and maintain a system for handling appeals, you have to start chasing those that fraudulently claim more than they're entitled to, etc, etc.

For payments as small as a few hundred pounds a year, it's just not worth the expense of trying to come up with something 'fairer'.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
2 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Irrelevant of the arguments and your political allegiance with the Tories and labour, is there any reason that a compromise between the two POVs can't be met with a sliding scale of winter payments? Seems ridiculously sensible to me so maybe that's the problem???

There's 1m+ unemployed, get them into paid work dealing with all the issues you mention and let's have have a "can do" attitude....or god forbid use AI

The benefit of having a simple payment for all is that it's very easy to implement. Let people register and prove their age, then pay them.

A sliding scale means that you have to set up a system to keep track of all of those people's earnings, you have to create and maintain a system to do the calculations, you have to reclaim money if a person gets some unexpected extra income, you have to create and maintain a system for handling appeals, you have to start chasing those that fraudulently claim more than they're entitled to, etc, etc.

For payments as small as a few hundred pounds a year, it's just not worth the expense of trying to come up with something 'fairer'."

By *abioMan
2 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The other thing is that the government are going to start a campaign to get people to sign up for pension credit

For as much as we like to complain… there are about a million people entitled to it that are not getting it at the moment… and at least those people would still get their WFA

By *mateur100 OP   Man
2 weeks ago

nr faversham

"The other thing is that the government are going to start a campaign to get people to sign up for pension credit

For as much as we like to complain… there are about a million people entitled to it that are not getting it at the moment… and at least those people would still get their WFA"

But how many are computer illiterate?

By *abioMan
2 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The other thing is that the government are going to start a campaign to get people to sign up for pension credit

For as much as we like to complain… there are about a million people entitled to it that are not getting it at the moment… and at least those people would still get their WFA

But how many are computer illiterate? "

There is a telephone number campaign coming to highlight pension credit

Also… for those people first time eligible for winter fuel.. they would need to ring up a number anyway

By *TMycockMan
2 weeks ago

Watford

System does need looking at though. Had a 91 year old aunt to whom I was next of kin pass away back in March after spending last couple of years in care. I would visit regularly (she lived in South Wales), stay at her house for a couple of days at a time, & generally look after her affairs. Last October, a letter arrived from the DWP saying they were sending a payment of £600 (due to her age she got extra). I IMMEDIATELY wrote to the DWP, advising them my aunt was in care, the house was unoccupied apart from my making visits once every few weeks, and therefore they had no need to make the payment. Yet in late November, £600 was dropped into her account. And even if she had not been in care, she would have had more than sufficient money not to need it. For every pensioner that genuinely needs that extra money, I'd wager there are a similar amount that don't.

By *iketoshow74Man
2 weeks ago

Northampton

I actually agree with this policy, far too many pensioners currently get this WFA that don't need it and it is a very simple way to control it and make it fair, if you are on pension credit you can get WFA.

By *idnight RamblerMan
2 weeks ago

Pershore

Any 'sliding scale' would be complicated to administer and still result in unfairness. The winter fuel allowance was hardly a King's ransom anyway, so it was sensible to award to all. It says a lot about Labour that almost their first monetary decision was to deprive the elderly of a benefit. From an economics standpoint, such awards are an effective stimulus to the economy because in the majority of cases the cash is spent promptly on goods and services, fuel, food, red wine, whatever. It's troubling that Labour are jumping to policies that are not well thought-through.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

[Removed by poster at 05/09/24 07:05:51]

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

As our winter generally runs between November and at least the end of March:

£300 = £1.98 a day WFA assistance for pensioners !!!

Are our memories so short that we were donating to libraries and community centres to provide warm spaces for pensioners during the heating crisis. And now it's 'oh! Well back to normal' we've got used to the Ukraine war, and it's effect on our energy supplies! Retail prices still haven't come anywhere near there old values. Petrol and Diesel are still near their highest level too.

I will bet that most commenting here are quite a way from retirement yet and are living in the 'It doesn't affect me (YET) zone, so fine take it off the pensioners'. I will bet you next year you will be with the stop the triple lock too!

F*ck me, this constant race to the bottom that we have in British society is a disease that really needs a virus shot.

Remember, your opinions and support now will really will affect your own future in retirement, and so much sooner that you think.

By *JB1954Man
2 weeks ago

Reading

As I put in another post on here about WFA. To claim the allowance you need to fill in a 22 page 243 question form. I think someone else posted about doing over phone. 243 questions to answer over a phone . ? Can be done online . My elderly neighbours in their eighties do not have internet or smartphone. Others again said how many elderly people could do online.

So will be very little uptake.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

It was also posted 4 days ago:

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/1633644

By *iketoshow74Man
2 weeks ago

Northampton

"As I put in another post on here about WFA. To claim the allowance you need to fill in a 22 page 243 question form. I think someone else posted about doing over phone. 243 questions to answer over a phone . ? Can be done online . My elderly neighbours in their eighties do not have internet or smartphone. Others again said how many elderly people could do online.

So will be very little uptake. "

I would have thought most (not all) elderly people would have a relative, friend or carer that could help them apply.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 05/09/24 11:32:45]

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

"As I put in another post on here about WFA. To claim the allowance you need to fill in a 22 page 243 question form. I think someone else posted about doing over phone. 243 questions to answer over a phone . ? Can be done online . My elderly neighbours in their eighties do not have internet or smartphone. Others again said how many elderly people could do online.

I would have thought most (not all) elderly people would have a relative, friend or carer that could help them apply."

800.000 haven't so far - makes you ask why really and kinda' proves that lots don't.

If the goverment are seeing this as a solution, why aren't they campaigning with targeted leaflets etc. It's not like they don't know who isn't claiming.

By *JB1954Man
2 weeks ago

Reading

I would have thought most (not all) elderly people would have a relative, friend or carer that could help them apply.

80.000 haven't so far - makes you ask why really and kinda' proves that lots don't.

If the goverment are seeing this as a solution, why aren't they campaigning with targeted leaflets etc. It's not like they don't know who isn't claiming."

I would add to this how many people . Will want relatives, family friend or carer to know full details of incomes , bank accounts etc. ?

By *usybee73Man
2 weeks ago

in the sticks

The way pensioners are treated is akin to a type of discrimination that no one cares about.

Imagine waking up, being everything needs to be claimed online, benefits, pension, care schedules, prescriptions etc whilst you don't have the internet or smart phone (managed all your life without one). Can't use the library as all been shut down. Given phone numbers to ring, but no one answers them.

Worked 50 years of your life with a small private pension and get taxed, punished for it.

Can't even go to the pub to drown your sorrows as all be turned into eating house's never mind enjoy a ciggy in one.

By *usie pTV/TS
2 weeks ago

taunton

Totally bonkers idea from the outset as more of it goes the the ones who took care of their finances and put money away for old age where as it should all go to the poor devils who lived for the day pissed away a big part of their earnigs and now don't have a penny to scratch their butt ends with.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

BREAKING

MPs to vote on winter fuel payment cut

MPs will now have the chance to vote on the government's plans to cut winter fuel payments for millions of pensioners, it has been confirmed.

Lucy Powell, the leader of the Commons, announced a motion relating to the changes would be debated on 10 September.

People in England and Wales not in receipt of pension credit or other means-tested benefits will lose out under the policy.

It is expected to reduce the number of pensioners in receipt of the up to £300 payment by 10 million, from 11.4 million to 1.5 million, saving around £1.4 billion this year.

The change has been widely criticised by the Conservatives, despite Labour repeatedly claiming it is due to a £22bn "black hole" in finances left by the Tories.

Mel Stride, the shadow pensions secretary, has welcomed what the Tories are hailing as a U-turn on the matter of a vote.

Like Rishi Sunak at PMQs yesterday, he suggested Labour had chosen train drivers over pensioners by agreeing a pay deal with unions to end strikes while proposing the winter fuel cut.

SkyNews.

By *abioMan
2 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

800.000 haven't so far - makes you ask why really and kinda' proves that lots don't.

If the goverment are seeing this as a solution, why aren't they campaigning with targeted leaflets etc. It's not like they don't know who isn't claiming."

I can tell you that it’s actually coming…..

Citizens advice bureau’s for example, Age UK being another one.. there is also a radio and television advertising blitz coming… so this is one of those “be patient “ things

The normal opening lines for winter fuel allowance anyway dont open till mid October

Honestly it is coming….

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 weeks ago

Well if the MP's vote it down and then 800,000 pensioners apply for pension credits etc. Wouldn't that be a MAJOR financial f*up for the government?

By *immyinreadingMan
2 weeks ago

henley on thames

They will end up fudging it, but claiming they didn’t.

Apparently keir says he is going to be “very tough” on this. Stranger early target for him to pick

How about going after tax dodgers instead, for example?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
2 weeks ago

nearby

Starmer has totally misjudged the public mood

People voted for improved public services, an end to sleaze and wanting and improved economy

Labour have done fuck all for the economy, despite Reeves campaign saying all the taxes would come from economic growth policies.

By *hrill CollinsMan
2 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"Labour have done fuck all for the economy, despite Reeves campaign saying all the taxes would come from economic growth policies. "

yes, they've had 3 whole days now god damn it .... what the fuck have they been upto since monday morning and why aren't there herds of unicorns shitting gold bricks in everyones front room like they promised?

By *immyinreadingMan
2 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Labour have done fuck all for the economy, despite Reeves campaign saying all the taxes would come from economic growth policies.

yes, they've had 3 whole days now god damn it .... what the fuck have they been upto since monday morning and why aren't there herds of unicorns shitting gold bricks in everyones front room like they promised?"

3 days? 🙄

By *eroy1000Man
2 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Well if the MP's vote it down and then 800,000 pensioners apply for pension credits etc. Wouldn't that be a MAJOR financial f*up for the government?"

Given the labour majority and SKS telling his MP's how to vote, it is highly unlikely to be voted down. They know this and know this is the time to get unpopular things through. So 10 million pensioners to be affected and many to go into fuel poverty as a result. Some pensioners are trying to organise protest by stopping the voluntary work they do which saves others quite a bit of money. Maybe they should join a union to guarantee a seat on the Labour gravy train

By *otMe66Man
2 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Well if the MP's vote it down and then 800,000 pensioners apply for pension credits etc. Wouldn't that be a MAJOR financial f*up for the government?

Given the labour majority and SKS telling his MP's how to vote, it is highly unlikely to be voted down. They know this and know this is the time to get unpopular things through. So 10 million pensioners to be affected and many to go into fuel poverty as a result. Some pensioners are trying to organise protest by stopping the voluntary work they do which saves others quite a bit of money. Maybe they should join a union to guarantee a seat on the Labour gravy train"

cunning plan

By *iketoshow74Man
2 weeks ago

Northampton

"Well if the MP's vote it down and then 800,000 pensioners apply for pension credits etc. Wouldn't that be a MAJOR financial f*up for the government?"

I think if about 600k 75%, take it up it will break even and means the £1.4bn goes to the poorest rather than people like my parents who don't need it.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
2 weeks ago

nr faversham

Maybe those hard done by £65k train drivers will soon become "those with the broadest shoulders".... maybe not

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
2 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Maybe those hard done by £65k train drivers will soon become "those with the broadest shoulders".... maybe not "

Well done in buying into the division that some seek to maintain..

By *mateur100 OP   Man
2 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Maybe those hard done by £65k train drivers will soon become "those with the broadest shoulders".... maybe not

"

Thank you, anytime you need a reality check

2 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Maybe those hard done by £65k train drivers will soon become "those with the broadest shoulders".... maybe not

Thank you, anytime you need a reality check "

I'm not in need of one so thanks for the offer but will decline ta..

Ps if you want to address your seemingly confused anger somewhere take a few minutes and look into how much is lost to the exchequer by tax evasion..

By *idnight RamblerMan
2 weeks ago

Pershore

"Maybe those hard done by £65k train drivers will soon become "those with the broadest shoulders".... maybe not "

I doubt it. Their trade union bankrolls Labour. It's easier to freeze the elderly.

By *melie LALWoman
2 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Irrelevant of the arguments and your political allegiance with the Tories and labour, is there any reason that a compromise between the two POVs can't be met with a sliding scale of winter payments? Seems ridiculously sensible to me so maybe that's the problem???

For payments as small as a few hundred pounds a year, it's just not worth the expense of trying to come up with something 'fairer'."

I say reduce the amount but increase pension credit by that amount.

By *melie LALWoman
2 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Well if the MP's vote it down and then 800,000 pensioners apply for pension credits etc. Wouldn't that be a MAJOR financial f*up for the government?

Given the labour majority and SKS telling his MP's how to vote, it is highly unlikely to be voted down. They know this and know this is the time to get unpopular things through. So 10 million pensioners to be affected and many to go into fuel poverty as a result. Some pensioners are trying to organise protest by stopping the voluntary work they do which saves others quite a bit of money. Maybe they should join a union to guarantee a seat on the Labour gravy train"

Gravy train

By *ophieslutTV/TS
2 weeks ago

Central

It's sickening and wrong that it's been so quickly announced, just before the start of the autumn and winter period. They could have planned for changes from 12 months time. It's crass and inappropriate to choose this, when a similar or higher amount could have been found elsewhere, that wouldn't leave people choosing between eating or heating.

By *melie LALWoman
2 weeks ago

Peterborough

"It's sickening and wrong that it's been so quickly announced, just before the start of the autumn and winter period. They could have planned for changes from 12 months time. It's crass and inappropriate to choose this, when a similar or higher amount could have been found elsewhere, that wouldn't leave people choosing between eating or heating. "

Theoretically it's not wrong to make it means tested.

By *usybee73Man
2 weeks ago

in the sticks

Would of thought the easiest way to means test is through the tax system... but what do I know

By *aughtystaffs60Couple
2 weeks ago

Staffordshire

Did all you people who don't need the extra money give your £ 400 to charity a couple of years ago when the government handed it out to help with winter fuel bills ?

I thought it was extremely fair to do it the way they did it. Or should it have been means tested. Who decides the level at which you would recieve it. Another army of bureaucrats needed to administer it.

I nearly got caught out by a similar labour scheme back in the noughties called Family credit. It was so complicated that not even the people who administered it gave out the right advice.

I was hounded for 2 years because they overpaid me. Luckily I proved that I had been given the wrong advice and they dropped the case but it was pure luck that I found a document to prove I was right and they were wrong.

If WFA become means tested I 100% guarantee similar mistakes will be made because of the nature of cut offs and event horizons.

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

Why not give wealthier pensioners a small payment towards their fuel? After all, they will have paid far more into the pot through higher NI contributions over a lifetime. That's fair, no? In any event, they have the option to donate to charity or spend in some way that boosts the economy.

By *lfasoCouple
1 week ago

South East

Cut to winter fuel payment could kill 4,000 people, Labour’s own research suggests

Analysis published by Labour in 2017 said plans to means test winter fuel payments would be the ‘single biggest attack on pensioners in a generation’

The Independent.

By *oxychick35Couple
1 week ago

thornaby

"Cut to winter fuel payment could kill 4,000 people, Labour’s own research suggests

Analysis published by Labour in 2017 said plans to means test winter fuel payments would be the ‘single biggest attack on pensioners in a generation’

The Independent."

incredible can’t think of a worse start his honeymoon is well and truely over

1 week ago

in Lancashire

I sense it will be 'amended', not a full U turn but something to lessen it's negative impact..

Seems a tad naive if they do given the flak they've had and if it is to be amended do it now ..

By *lfasoCouple
1 week ago

South East

Last night Reeves addressed Labour back benchers:

"It is the right thing to do, to target money at a time when finances are so stretched, at people who need them most"

i.e. not the pensioners, but the 1.7 million unemployed migrant (non) workers.

The UK's largest trade union Unite calls the policy "completely wrong". Its general secretary Sharon Graham told the BBC the government should "do a U-turn"

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

"I sense it will be 'amended', not a full U turn but something to lessen it's negative impact..

Seems a tad naive if they do given the flak they've had and if it is to be amended do it now .."

Labour is already suggesting the Warm Home Discount scheme is enhanced for those on pension credit. Today it is announced that state pensions are likely to go up by 4.1% next year, nearly twice the level of inflation.

Aldi announced yesterday that UK food prices are dropping and will continue to do so for the rest of the year.

Untargetted benefits are expensive. The Tories themselves proposed means testing WFA in their 2017 manifesto.

We can all play politics but the important objective is to help those that need benefits claim them, not give millionaires £200/£300 when the country can't afford it.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

"I sense it will be 'amended', not a full U turn but something to lessen it's negative impact..

Seems a tad naive if they do given the flak they've had and if it is to be amended do it now ..

Labour is already suggesting the Warm Home Discount scheme is enhanced for those on pension credit. Today it is announced that state pensions are likely to go up by 4.1% next year, nearly twice the level of inflation.

Aldi announced yesterday that UK food prices are dropping and will continue to do so for the rest of the year.

Untargetted benefits are expensive. The Tories themselves proposed means testing WFA in their 2017 manifesto.

We can all play politics but the important objective is to help those that need benefits claim them, not give millionaires £200/£300 when the country can't afford it."

Apart from your ironic 'we can all play politics' yes I agree..

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

We can all play politics but the important objective is to help those that need benefits claim them, not give millionaires £200/£300 when the country can't afford it.

Apart from your ironic 'we can all play politics' yes I agree.. "

Not sure why it's ironic. I fully accept I am expressing my political views, which I think we all do?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
1 week ago

Hastings

It dose make me wonder how meany that get the winter fule payment don't need it really.

If they live alone in a big property would it not be better they down sized.

If in accommodation that has heating as part of the rent ie central boiler in larger blocks do they need it.

It really is something that needs looking at but as has been said it's such a small amount it's hard to look at it case by case.

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

"Last night Reeves addressed Labour back benchers:

"It is the right thing to do, to target money at a time when finances are so stretched, at people who need them most"

i.e. not the pensioners, but the 1.7 million unemployed migrant (non) workers.

The UK's largest trade union Unite calls the policy "completely wrong". Its general secretary Sharon Graham told the BBC the government should "do a U-turn""

Well if Unite are saying "jump", Labour's only question is "how high?". Let's see how they wriggle out of this.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

Not sure why it's ironic. I fully accept I am expressing my political views, which I think we all do?"

Fair point, I took it as a snipe so my apologies..

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

Not sure why it's ironic. I fully accept I am expressing my political views, which I think we all do?

Fair point, I took it as a snipe so my apologies.."

Not at all. I'm one of your biggest fans.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

Not at all. I'm one of your biggest fans. "

now I'm a bit unsettled..

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

now I'm a bit unsettled.."

It was meant as a compliment on the quality of your posts, nothing more, apologies if you were unsettled.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

now I'm a bit unsettled..

It was meant as a compliment on the quality of your posts, nothing more, apologies if you were unsettled."

I'm pulling your leg a little ..

By *usybee73Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

Just think, few years ago it was save A pensioner with covid restrictions... now it's freeze a pensioner, grab there property via inheritance tax and no longer have to pay them state pension...

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

"Just think, few years ago it was save A pensioner with covid restrictions... now it's freeze a pensioner, grab there property via inheritance tax and no longer have to pay them state pension... "

Well Labour did promise change!

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

Not sure why it's ironic. I fully accept I am expressing my political views, which I think we all do?"

… on the politics forum, of all places …

By *abioMan
1 week ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Just think, few years ago it was save A pensioner with covid restrictions... now it's freeze a pensioner, grab there property via inheritance tax and no longer have to pay them state pension... "

That is very sensationalist

So let me ask you a question ( I know the answer so I am wondering if you do!)

Do you know the percentage of estates last year actually paid any inheritance tax?

And since they are again getting an above inflation state pension increase next April due to the triple lock….

By *immyinreadingMan
1 week ago

henley on thames

Yes, they really are taking the piss out of pensioners

By *usybee73Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

"Just think, few years ago it was save A pensioner with covid restrictions... now it's freeze a pensioner, grab there property via inheritance tax and no longer have to pay them state pension...

Do you know the percentage of estates last year actually paid any inheritance tax?

And since they are again getting an above inflation state pension increase next April due to the triple lock…. "

I couldn't quote it without looking it up, been up since 4am so half asleep but was talking about inheritance tax a few months ago in the local, years ago it was quite rare for someone to pay, but due to house prices increase its now quite common especially down south?

By *ggdrasil66Man
1 week ago

Saltdean

It is a little sneaky that Labour have made this the first of what will be many unpopular and controversial acts they pass. There is no way that there will be enough MPs voting against it to stop it going through.

If this hadn’t gone through, a no confidence vote could have happened so early in his reign. Those fat twat Liebour MPs are not going to risk their cushy jobs after such a short space of time.

The pressure needs piling on, and this act in particular, has to continue to be mentioned.

He’s a nasty piece of work!

By *irralmatureMan
1 week ago

Wirral

But how many are computer illiterate? "

And that still leaves many millions more who cannot claim pension credit

By *ophieslutTV/TS
1 week ago

Central

Complain to your MP, if they voted or abstained, differently to your expectations.

By *usybee73Man
1 week ago

in the sticks

"Complain to your MP, if they voted or abstained, differently to your expectations. "

Mps never listen to their voters, they want to climb the ladder of politics so are like lapping dogs to the leadership

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Lerwick

"It is a little sneaky that Labour have made this the first of what will be many unpopular and controversial acts they pass. There is no way that there will be enough MPs voting against it to stop it going through.

If this hadn’t gone through, a no confidence vote could have happened so early in his reign. Those fat twat Liebour MPs are not going to risk their cushy jobs after such a short space of time.

The pressure needs piling on, and this act in particular, has to continue to be mentioned.

He’s a nasty piece of work!"

"Fat twat Liebour MPs" Interesting description from....

By *abioMan
1 week ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Just think, few years ago it was save A pensioner with covid restrictions... now it's freeze a pensioner, grab there property via inheritance tax and no longer have to pay them state pension...

And since they are again getting an above inflation state pension increase next April due to the triple lock….

I couldn't quote it without looking it up, been up since 4am so half asleep but was talking about inheritance tax a few months ago in the local, years ago it was quite rare for someone to pay, but due to house prices increase its now quite common especially down south?"

Actually…. Nowhere near as common as you think

It’s a whopping 2% of all estates paid inheritance tax in the tax year 2023/24

Remember that spouses are inheritance tax exempt…..

Even though at the moment the inheritance tax threshold is 325,000… in England last year the average house cost 270,000 and much lower in the regions

You are talking about a London centric issue rather than something that effects people all over the country

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
1 week ago

Gilfach

"I couldn't quote it without looking it up, been up since 4am so half asleep but was talking about inheritance tax a few months ago in the local, years ago it was quite rare for someone to pay, but due to house prices increase its now quite common especially down south?"

"Actually…. Nowhere near as common as you think

Even though at the moment the inheritance tax threshold is 325,000… in England last year the average house cost 270,000 and much lower in the regions"

The threshold is £500,000 if it's from a property, and it's going to descendants of the deceased.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
1 week ago

Bedford

No need to means test, the money they pay out on fuel payments will just be circulated back into the economy benefiting working people anyway, regardless if the pensioners are rich or not. If I was getting it at didn't need it I'd spend it on on food, clothes or a holiday in by the sea and guess what the working people in the food shop, retailers and guest house would be benefitting.

The goverment hasn't got a clue how to run economy.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
1 week ago

Bedford

Is it me or does Rachael Reeves, Kier Starmer and Angela Rayner sound like robots at the despatch box.

The apparent reason the the blackhole is the Tories fault, but wasn't it the job of opposition to keep them in check and not forgetting alot of local councils were under Labour control at the time so if the Tories are to blame so is Labour.

It's not like Labour just arrived on the earth from Mars to find the economy in a mess. No one wins in the blame game.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

"No need to means test, the money they pay out on fuel payments will just be circulated back into the economy benefiting working people anyway, regardless if the pensioners are rich or not. If I was getting it at didn't need it I'd spend it on on food, clothes or a holiday in by the sea and guess what the working people in the food shop, retailers and guest house would be benefitting.

The goverment hasn't got a clue how to run economy."

Taking £200-£300 off pensioners, while Rachel Reeves has claimed £3700 in heating expenses for her MP home

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

"No need to means test, the money they pay out on fuel payments will just be circulated back into the economy benefiting working people anyway, regardless if the pensioners are rich or not. If I was getting it at didn't need it I'd spend it on on food, clothes or a holiday in by the sea and guess what the working people in the food shop, retailers and guest house would be benefitting.

Taking £200-£300 off pensioners, while Rachel Reeves has claimed £3700 in heating expenses for her MP home

"

Ouch! Those are bad optics and a brilliant attack line if the media or public wanted to go there. Opposition MPs won’t as they all do it!

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
1 week ago

Hastings

"I couldn't quote it without looking it up, been up since 4am so half asleep but was talking about inheritance tax a few months ago in the local, years ago it was quite rare for someone to pay, but due to house prices increase its now quite common especially down south?

Actually…. Nowhere near as common as you think

Even though at the moment the inheritance tax threshold is 325,000… in England last year the average house cost 270,000 and much lower in the regions

The threshold is £500,000 if it's from a property, and it's going to descendants of the deceased."

That I true for one person

£325,000 Each and £175,000 if there is a property going to descendants.

But if you are married you also inherit their allowance.

So really it's £1,000,000 for a couple that have a property.

By *eroy1000Man
1 week ago

milton keynes

"

Not seen that other than here. Where do I find an article on it please. As others say, bad optics but probably she is not alone in doing it

By *hawn ScottMan
1 week ago

london Brixton

Again I think this was a bad move for Labour. It will keir starmer very unpopular and the tabloids will tear him apart.

However it was Labour that introduced the winter fuel payments in 97 and it was supposed to be means tested but they never got got around to it and neither did the tories.

So guess starmer is doing what Labour planned 27 years later.

The economy is in the toilet. We never properly recovered from the 2008 crash. Then we had brexit and covid. It's not going to be fixed overnight and being PM is a poisoned chalice.

Hey by the time most of us retire the state pension will be a thing of the past

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

5 days ago

O o O oo

"Is it me or does Rachael Reeves, Kier Starmer and Angela Rayner sound like robots at the despatch box.

The apparent reason the the blackhole is the Tories fault, but wasn't it the job of opposition to keep them in check and not forgetting alot of local councils were under Labour control at the time so if the Tories are to blame so is Labour.

It's not like Labour just arrived on the earth from Mars to find the economy in a mess. No one wins in the blame game."

So let me get this right, Conservatives are in power and Labour only have to object to something they are doing and the Cons will do it? How does that work?

Post new Message to Thread