Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

National Security Advisor Appointment Cancelled

Jump to newest

By *astandFeisty OP   Couple
3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Can anyone tell me one good reason for this.

This, after Starmer cancelled Tim Barrows appointment as UK Ambassador to the US.

This is clearly political but I can't figure out what Starmer gains from this.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ronisMan
3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Can anyone tell me one good reason for this.

This, after Starmer cancelled Tim Barrows appointment as UK Ambassador to the US.

"

Probably because the person appointed would shoot holes in so called security in this rapidly failing state.

By *usybee73Man
3 weeks ago

in the sticks

It means he doesn't know who wins in November...

By *an DeLyonMan
3 weeks ago

County Durham

"

One good reason is :

he needs a DBS check.

He needs a valid passport for ID

He needs a car park permit

He's not well and needs time off

His office is being decorated

By (user no longer on site)
3 weeks ago

National security? Put a chick in it, make her lame and gay!

By *abioMan
3 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I may be able to answer this

He may be waiting because it may influence the type of relationship the UK has with the US

So at the moment the deputy ambassador is basically doing the job

If Harris wins… I would expect him to be offered the role… he is a really really highly respected and regarded career civil servant within the FCO… he could do the job in the normal under the radar manner, similar to what Karen pierce does as ambassador at the UN

If Trump wins… the role may become a lot more political so you may be looking at a different type of person

By *arakiss12TV/TS
3 weeks ago

Bedford

No country is secure, it's a myth if they tell you otherwise.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
3 weeks ago

nearby

Quite a CV this man has in these high profile roles including UK ambassador to EU, Ukraine and Moscow.

By *abioMan
3 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Quite a CV this man has in these high profile roles including UK ambassador to EU, Ukraine and Moscow. "

Absolutely….. but a normal ambassador role under a normal administration (Harris) primarily dealing with and liaising with the officials at “state” (Secretary of state..the US version of FCO) they may see a different person having to deal with a trump administration with may be a lot more political because it may end up being a lot more isolationist

3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

He may be waiting because it may influence the type of relationship the UK has with the US

If Harris wins… I would expect him to be offered the role… he is a really really highly respected and regarded career civil servant within the FCO… he could do the job in the normal under the radar manner, similar to what Karen pierce does as ambassador at the UN

If Trump wins… the role may become a lot more political so you may be looking at a different type of person "

If that is the case why is it said that he can reapply?

This stinks of Starmer wanting to appoint his 'own guy'.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
3 weeks ago

Cumbria

If Trump wins… the role may become a lot more political so you may be looking at a different type of person

This stinks of Starmer wanting to appoint his 'own guy'. "

So?

3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

So?"

You're one of the worst when it comes to whinging about Tories inserting people who aren't up to the job.

These guys are more than qualified. Do you think Starmer will find more qualified people?

By *abioMan
3 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

This stinks of Starmer wanting to appoint his 'own guy'. "

Because under normal circumstances ambassador roles are actually normally 6-12 month appointments, and then people may be asked if they want to continue on

You actually tend to rotate between appointments.. and if you aren’t in a position, you will be back at home base helping out on things like the regional desks .. so it won’t be like he is doing nothing

3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Because under normal circumstances ambassador roles are actually normally 6-12 month appointments, and then people may be asked if they want to continue on

You actually tend to rotate between appointments.. and if you aren’t in a position, you will be back at home base helping out on things like the regional desks .. so it won’t be like he is doing nothing "

He hasn't even taken position in the role yet so don't give me bollocks about rotation.

A senior official said:

“The process to appoint Jenkins was run with full transparency, and there is no good reason to do it all over again.”

3 weeks ago

Cumbria

So?

You're one of the worst when it comes to whinging about Tories inserting people who aren't up to the job.

These guys are more than qualified. Do you think Starmer will find more qualified people?"

Given that David Cameron told David Lammy that because of the election they would not be appointing a new ambassador to the US, then Sunak tried to rush it through, I think there has to be a proper process.

3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

So?

These guys are more than qualified. Do you think Starmer will find more qualified people?

Given that David Cameron told David Lammy that because of the election they would not be appointing a new ambassador to the US, then Sunak tried to rush it through, I think there has to be a proper process."

This is not the US Ambassador role.(The US Ambassador role was referenced but its not the topic).

The appointment in question was before the GE announcement.

Do some research, will you...

3 weeks ago

Cumbria

So?

Given that David Cameron told David Lammy that because of the election they would not be appointing a new ambassador to the US, then Sunak tried to rush it through, I think there has to be a proper process.

This is not the US Ambassador role.(The US Ambassador role was referenced but its not the topic).

The appointment in question was before the GE announcement.

Do some research, will you..."

A thousand apologies, of course as Sir Tim Barrow won’t immediately be taking on the role of ambassador to the US (if at all) there’s no need to appoint t a new national security adviser quite yet. So it would seem sensible for the new prime minister to appoint the person he feels best suits the role. As has been mentioned the choice of the previous government is not excluded from applying again.

Post new Message to Thread