Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Police complaints - no win no fee

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

So there is now a growing market of compensation if you’ve been mistreated by the police.

The adverts are very much in the same style as the historic whiplash culture - Have you been mistreated by the police you may be entitled to compensation - which saw huge amounts of fraud & led to huge rises of car insurance premiums.

I’m torn on this because I think that accountability and civil law suits can expose bad practice & drive culture changes but of course you’re gonna get huge amounts of fraud because it’s easy pickings & ultimately taxpayers and citizens pay the bills for an ethical law firms and fraudsters, Who are typically a few steps ahead and figuring out how to use it to the financial gain.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idnight RamblerMan
4 weeks ago

Pershore

"So there is now a growing market of compensation if you’ve been mistreated by the police.

The adverts are very much in the same style as the historic whiplash culture - Have you been mistreated by the police you may be entitled to compensation - which saw huge amounts of fraud & led to huge rises of car insurance premiums.

I’m torn on this because I think that accountability and civil law suits can expose bad practice & drive culture changes but of course you’re gonna get huge amounts of fraud because it’s easy pickings & ultimately taxpayers and citizens pay the bills for an ethical law firms and fraudsters, Who are typically a few steps ahead and figuring out how to use it to the financial gain.

"

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement.

By *ortyairCouple
4 weeks ago

Wallasey

"So there is now a growing market of compensation if you’ve been mistreated by the police.

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement. "

What does 'judgement' mean here? Policing NOT by the book? Mrs x

By *va_NightingaleTV/TS
4 weeks ago

North Manchester

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement. What does 'judgement' mean here? Policing NOT by the book? Mrs x"

'Discretion'....?

By *he Flat CapsCouple
4 weeks ago

Pontypool

^^^ This ^^^

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

I view this a bit like speed cameras, the sure fire way to avoid being caught by a speed camera and not have to pay a fine for speeding is to not speed.

Similarly, if the police don’t want to get sued then they need to not do things that people can sue them for.

By *he Flat CapsCouple
4 weeks ago

Pontypool

Officers have several options available to them in certain circumstances. Low level incidents where an offence has been committed and someone could be arrested, but there is another more preferable option of community resolution, the officer can offer community resolution. Still an outcome, but they have used their discretion as it wouldn't be in the public interest to arrest etc. Very simplified example, but shows that officers have options on how to deal with incidents.

If someone has been mistreated by the police, that's what the police complaints are for. The complaint is investigated and if any wrongdoing found, the officer(s) face a disciplinary.

By *idnight RamblerMan
4 weeks ago

Pershore

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement. What does 'judgement' mean here? Policing NOT by the book? Mrs x"

The 'common sense' approach to policing - a good policeman instinctively knows if a ticking-off will suffice or if a more formal line should be taken. We'll lose that if we have lawyers trawling for business.

By *hrill CollinsMan
4 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

this is a non issue .... it's clear that police who don't do stupid shit have nothing to fear .... the ones that do do stupid shit then fuck them, they get what they deserve

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement. What does 'judgement' mean here? Policing NOT by the book? Mrs x

The 'common sense' approach to policing - a good policeman instinctively knows if a ticking-off will suffice or if a more formal line should be taken. We'll lose that if we have lawyers trawling for business."

I agree there should be leeway for police officers to use their judgement, so long as their judgement does not mean they will do anything that gets them sued. However, I don’t think common sense is the way to describe it, there is no such thing as ‘common sense,’ it is something that tends to align with your previously held views, and is not universal.

By *enSiskoMan
4 weeks ago

Cestus 3

One of the most common things the police do is refuse to ID themselves last name and collar number and which station they are working from that day.

Ive seen them do it to many auditors in the past which got them payouts as the interaction was recorded.

So those officers brought nothing on themselves as the officers I saw refusing to ID had no more action against them.

By *ortyairCouple
4 weeks ago

Wallasey

Who benefits? Maybe a slighted complainant gets a few grand, and the lawyers are certainly enriched. But the taxpayer funds the payouts, and the Police are even more prone to policing by the book instead of using their judgement. What does 'judgement' mean here? Policing NOT by the book? Mrs x

The 'common sense' approach to policing - a good policeman instinctively knows if a ticking-off will suffice or if a more formal line should be taken. We'll lose that if we have lawyers trawling for business."

Why will you lose that? That's not misconduct is it?

Mrs x

By *I TwoCouple
4 weeks ago

currently travelling down W France

"I view this a bit like speed cameras, the sure fire way to avoid being caught by a speed camera and not have to pay a fine for speeding is to not speed.

Similarly, if the police don’t want to get sued then they need to not do things that people can sue them for."

So the police turn a blind eye to criminals to avoid confrontation ?

Arresting a criminal may require force and that's always going to be contentious.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"I view this a bit like speed cameras, the sure fire way to avoid being caught by a speed camera and not have to pay a fine for speeding is to not speed.

Similarly, if the police don’t want to get sued then they need to not do things that people can sue them for.

Arresting a criminal may require force and that's always going to be contentious."

Not if the force is reasonable and not excessive.

By *AJMLKTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Burley

"

This is reason number 4072 on the list of why good people don't want to become a police officer anymore. Eventually, the entire police services in the UK will be made up of those who failed the exams to be a Tesco's security guard.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

This is reason number 4072 on the list of why good people don't want to become a police officer anymore. Eventually, the entire police services in the UK will be made up of those who failed the exams to be a Tesco's security guard."

Well I suppose it’s not too much of a step down from those who were bullied at school.

By *I TwoCouple
4 weeks ago

currently travelling down W France

Arresting a criminal may require force and that's always going to be contentious.

Not if the force is reasonable and not excessive."

Wouldn't that depend on how cooperative the criminal is, or the circumstances at the time.

If someone has a gun then shooting them dead would be justified

Of someone tries to strike an officer then a baton to the legs would probably be acceptable

If a kid steals a mars bar then handcuffs probably wouldn't be required.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Central

Following on from the post about a woman who was given compensation for being arrested, outside of an abortion clinic, whilst praying, when a law excluded people from being there, due to distress. And it was her 2nd time caught there! . I'm reluctant to think that it might be a good idea. Sure, we want the police to behave properly but it's a very tough challenge, with complex circumstances.

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"One of the most common things the police do is refuse to ID themselves last name and collar number and which station they are working from that day.

Ive seen them do it to many auditors in the past which got them payouts as the interaction was recorded.

So those officers brought nothing on themselves as the officers I saw refusing to ID had no more action against them."

Auditors getting payouts when a police officer doesn’t give their last name and number? Why would an auditor get a payout, I’m confused, would this be their line manger checking they are following process or a 3rd party employed to test standards?

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"One of the most common things the police do is refuse to ID themselves last name and collar number and which station they are working from that day.

So those officers brought nothing on themselves as the officers I saw refusing to ID had no more action against them.

Auditors getting payouts when a police officer doesn’t give their last name and number? Why would an auditor get a payout, I’m confused, would this be their line manger checking they are following process or a 3rd party employed to test standards? "

I'm imagining these are YouTube 'Auditors'

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Auditors getting payouts when a police officer doesn’t give their last name and number? Why would an auditor get a payout, I’m confused, would this be their line manger checking they are following process or a 3rd party employed to test standards?

I'm imagining these are YouTube 'Auditors'"

Bloody hell! I’ve just had a look on YouTube, I have found the most annoying twats roaming the earth!

By *oxychick35Couple
3 weeks ago

thornaby

To

"

tommy Robinson will get a fortune then lol

By *ox1 red leaderMan
3 weeks ago

farnham

"this is a non issue .... it's clear that police who don't do stupid shit have nothing to fear .... the ones that do do stupid shit then fuck them, they get what they deserve"

By *enSiskoMan
3 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Auditors getting payouts when a police officer doesn’t give their last name and number? Why would an auditor get a payout, I’m confused, would this be their line manger checking they are following process or a 3rd party employed to test standards? "

Because the officer arrested the auditor, as the officer had not ID himself, it is ki1napping, Officers who do not ID are known as Rogue Officers.

The auditor received 4500.

The same auditor has received 6000 recently for another arrest under a law which had been repealed.

He was kept in a cell for 12 hours and released in the middle of the night without charge.

By *enSiskoMan
3 weeks ago

Cestus 3

He had the whole incident on video, yes auditors go out to public buildings and film interactions with the workers there, also the police and prisons.

Post new Message to Thread