Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Jermaine sacking at bbc

Jump to newest

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Dribs and drabs coming out, apparently sent unsolicited texts to a female member and promptly sacked with out notice. Think he was on talk sports presenting whilst it happened.

Bit confused by it all ... trail by media again? Especially when you consider huw Edwards, suspension on full pay, with a pay rise as well?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

"Dribs and drabs coming out, apparently sent unsolicited texts to a female member and promptly sacked with out notice. Think he was on talk sports presenting whilst it happened.

Bit confused by it all ... trail by media again? Especially when you consider huw Edwards, suspension on full pay, with a pay rise as well? "

And sacked and dropped from other BBC Roles too.

***Former footballer Jermaine Jenas has been sacked by the BBC while live on air at talkSPORT.

The broadcaster has confirmed he is "no longer part" of The One Show's "presenting line-up".

Jenas, 41, has also been dropped from his punditry and presenting duties on football highlights programme Match Of The Day, Match Of The Day 2 and Radio 5 Live.***

https://news.sky.com/story/jermaine-jenas-sacked-by-bbc-after-complaints-about-behaviour-13185426

By *mateur100Man
4 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Dribs and drabs coming out, apparently sent unsolicited texts to a female member and promptly sacked with out notice. Think he was on talk sports presenting whilst it happened.

Bit confused by it all ... trail by media again? Especially when you consider huw Edwards, suspension on full pay, with a pay rise as well?

And sacked and dropped from other BBC Roles too.

***Former footballer Jermaine Jenas has been sacked by the BBC while live on air at talkSPORT.

The broadcaster has confirmed he is "no longer part" of The One Show's "presenting line-up".

Jenas, 41, has also been dropped from his punditry and presenting duties on football highlights programme Match Of The Day, Match Of The Day 2 and Radio 5 Live.***

https://news.sky.com/story/jermaine-jenas-sacked-by-bbc-after-complaints-about-behaviour-13185426

"

Suspension until any investigation is completed would be appropriate

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
4 weeks ago

Border of London

Bit confused by it all ... trail by media again? Especially when you consider huw Edwards, suspension on full pay, with a pay rise as well? "

If something happens in the workplace, an employer is in a very different position to "an investigation" that has nothing to do with work.

Gross misconduct that is clear and obvious can (and should) be dealt with immediately by an employer.

The optics might not look good, especially for those who don't get the above distinction.

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

If something happens in the workplace, an employer is in a very different position to "an investigation" that has nothing to do with work.

Gross misconduct that is clear and obvious can (and should) be dealt with immediately by an employer.

The optics might not look good, especially for those who don't get the above distinction."

I agree, hence huw sent text/what's apps whilst at the BBC to a younger member of staff etc

Not sticking up for either BTW but can't understand the double standards, especially when jermaine didn't even know, and informed by media.

Me thinks he will be on the phone to his lawyer ... even if guilty, the BBC have ignored protocol imho

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
4 weeks ago

nearby

Be a shame if his tv career is ended for tapping up a co presenter. Was it Alex Jones or Lauren Laverne that dobbed him in.

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Don't know ... jermaine is now in court, called right wing and expected to do 5 years with starmer clapping in the background

By *ermbiMan
4 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

Clearly you didn't listen to the media reports which outlined a lot. No wonder you say you are confused. Your line about trial by media is way off the mark. This is how misinformation spreads.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

I think we can all agree, especially with hindsight, that the BBC got the Huw Edwards situation wrong, so why are people complaining that Jenas has been treated differently? Surely it’s a good thing that the BBC have learned from the mistakes they made and have made changes?

I know the right are scared of change but I hadn’t realised they would prefer things to stay awful just so they don’t have to deal with change.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I think we can all agree, especially with hindsight, that the BBC got the Huw Edwards situation wrong ..."

The BBC got the Huw Edwards situation right. He was accused of something with very little evidence, and the BBC suspended him. A police investigation found no wrongdoing in that case, so the BBC's actions were correct.

A different police investigation found Edwards guilty of a different crime, upon which the BBC sacked Edwards. No problem there either.

Which bit do you think they got wrong?

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"I think we can all agree, especially with hindsight, that the BBC got the Huw Edwards situation wrong ...

The BBC got the Huw Edwards situation right. He was accused of something with very little evidence, and the BBC suspended him. A police investigation found no wrongdoing in that case, so the BBC's actions were correct.

A different police investigation found Edwards guilty of a different crime, upon which the BBC sacked Edwards. No problem there either.

Which bit do you think they got wrong?"

The bit where he was still on full pay after being arrested for having child abuse images.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I think we can all agree, especially with hindsight, that the BBC got the Huw Edwards situation wrong ..."

"The BBC got the Huw Edwards situation right. He was accused of something with very little evidence, and the BBC suspended him. A police investigation found no wrongdoing in that case, so the BBC's actions were correct.

Which bit do you think they got wrong?"

"The bit where he was still on full pay after being arrested for having child abuse images."

Arrested, but not charged or convicted. An arrest which was made in the context of a previous arrest for which no evidence of wrongdoing was found.

As soon as it was clear that Edwards was guilty, the BBC acted. As I understand it, they are trying to reclaim the money paid to him while he was suspended under that second case.

Is it your contention that the BBC should sack anyone as soon as an allegation is made, regardless of what the law says?

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"I think we can all agree, especially with hindsight, that the BBC got the Huw Edwards situation wrong ...

Which bit do you think they got wrong?

The bit where he was still on full pay after being arrested for having child abuse images.

Arrested, but not charged or convicted. An arrest which was made in the context of a previous arrest for which no evidence of wrongdoing was found.

As soon as it was clear that Edwards was guilty, the BBC acted. As I understand it, they are trying to reclaim the money paid to him while he was suspended under that second case.

Is it your contention that the BBC should sack anyone as soon as an allegation is made, regardless of what the law says?"

He was charged, and no, I’m not saying the BBC should sack someone the moment an allegation is made, suspending someone without pay, however, is an option that f they have been arrested and charged with child abuse offences.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

The optics might not look good, especially for those who don't get the above distinction.

I agree, hence huw sent text/what's apps whilst at the BBC to a younger member of staff etc

Not sticking up for either BTW but can't understand the double standards, especially when jermaine didn't even know, and informed by media.

Me thinks he will be on the phone to his lawyer ... even if guilty, the BBC have ignored protocol imho"

But is it double standards? I have no idea as only know what's written in the thread. Context is totally different - evidence seen/people questioned/didn't desist when told/police not involved?

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

The former footballer, 41, has been taken off air from both primetime shows.

BBC News understands his contract was terminated this week because of alleged issues relating to workplace behaviour.

Responding to the news, Jenas said there were "two sides to every story" but he would let his "lawyers deal with it".

The allegations involve digital communications such as texts, which were raised with the corporation a few weeks ago.

In an interview with talkSport radio, he repeatedly said "I can't really talk about it" when asked about the claims being made.

"I, as you can probably see, I am not happy about it," he told the station.

Asked if he was surprised that any complaints had been made against him, Jenas said again: "I can't really talk right now."

"I've just got to leave this to a team of lawyers at the minute who are, yeah, I suppose just managing the situation," he said.

"This is... Yeah, it's tough, you know. But I've got to listen to my lawyers."

A BBC spokesperson said: "We can confirm Jermaine Jenas is no longer part of our presenting line-up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy76pdz5152o

if its text related, surly a person would of been dragged in, shown the texts and asked did you send them? and why? rather then sacked with out notice? hence HR doing this a bit wrong imho.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"The former footballer, 41, has been taken off air from both primetime shows.

BBC News understands his contract was terminated this week because of alleged issues relating to workplace behaviour.

Responding to the news, Jenas said there were "two sides to every story" but he would let his "lawyers deal with it".

The allegations involve digital communications such as texts, which were raised with the corporation a few weeks ago.

In an interview with talkSport radio, he repeatedly said "I can't really talk about it" when asked about the claims being made.

"I, as you can probably see, I am not happy about it," he told the station.

Asked if he was surprised that any complaints had been made against him, Jenas said again: "I can't really talk right now."

"I've just got to leave this to a team of lawyers at the minute who are, yeah, I suppose just managing the situation," he said.

"This is... Yeah, it's tough, you know. But I've got to listen to my lawyers."

A BBC spokesperson said: "We can confirm Jermaine Jenas is no longer part of our presenting line-up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy76pdz5152o

if its text related, surly a person would of been dragged in, shown the texts and asked did you send them? and why? rather then sacked with out notice? hence HR doing this a bit wrong imho."

Do we know he wasn’t asked about the texts by a manager or HR?

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

ive read that he was informed when he was presenting on talk sport yesterday afternoon, hence i presume hes got the lawyers in already.

By *ymClassDropoutMan
4 weeks ago

Slough

His agency has also dropped him.

Never liked the guy anyway.

By *mateur100Man
4 weeks ago

nr faversham

I misread the title... Jermaine sucking at BBC

By *vbride1963TV/TS
4 weeks ago

E.K . Glasgow

Telling his story now .

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

https://news.sky.com/story/sacked-bbc-presenter-jermaine-jenas-admits-to-inappropriate-messages-and-letting-family-down-13201340

*****Breaking

Sacked BBC presenter Jermaine Jenas admits to 'inappropriate messages' and 'letting family down'****

By *allySlinkyWoman
4 weeks ago

Leeds

"Don't know ... jermaine is now in court, called right wing and expected to do 5 years with starmer clapping in the background "

Who has called him right wing and suggested a custodial sentence ?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"Don't know ... jermaine is now in court, called right wing and expected to do 5 years with starmer clapping in the background

Who has called him right wing and suggested a custodial sentence ?"

I couldn't find anything on this. He doesn't seem to be in court, nor can I find anyone calling him right wing.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
4 weeks ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Don't know ... jermaine is now in court, called right wing and expected to do 5 years with starmer clapping in the background

I couldn't find anything on this. He doesn't seem to be in court, nor can I find anyone calling him right wing.

"

Seems only the OP said it ( jokingly possibly ) in response to rioters being fast tracked .

By *ools and the brainCouple
4 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

People defending him probably football fans of the club's he played at.

Seems the BBC can't do anything right for some people.

If what he did broke employment laws and constituted gross misconduct then they did the right thing.

The BBC are still reeling from the Huw debacle,so decided to act quickly.

By *allySlinkyWoman
4 weeks ago

Leeds

I misread the title of this post. I thought it said

Jermain sucking BBC

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

"People defending him probably football fans of the club's he played at.

If what he did broke employment laws and constituted gross misconduct then they did the right thing.

"

Don't think it's to do with football, it's more to do what was reported on the day, both from the BBC and jermaine himself as it didn't add up. One minute sacked without notice, tell my side with lawyers and now apologising with a whimper ...

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

Seems only the OP said it ( jokingly possibly ) in response to rioters being fast tracked . "

Oh I see, that went over my head. He wasn't rioting, and it was the climate protester that was given 5 years.

By *allySlinkyWoman
4 weeks ago

Leeds

"

Oh I see, that went over my head. He wasn't rioting, and it was the climate protester that was given 5 years.

"

Is the climate protester right wing ?

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"People defending him probably football fans of the club's he played at.

"

By *ogerroger69Man
4 weeks ago

West Yorks

Always knew he was a naughty one.

No body is that clean cut.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"

Is the climate protester right wing ?"

I'm guessing not.

By *allySlinkyWoman
4 weeks ago

Leeds

"Always knew he was a naughty one.

No body is that clean cut."

Is he circumcised ?

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

Maybe the other person either got cold feet or got caught out by their partner and put the whole thing on him

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
4 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Maybe the other person either got cold feet or got caught out by their partner and put the whole thing on him "

In which case one might expect no one to be sacked as it would be a reciprocal conversation between adults?

And there were two women apparently who made complaints..

Does sound like your doing a bit of victim blaming?

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Jermaine Jenas has told the Sun newspaper, external he is "ashamed" and has "let everybody down" after being sacked as a BBC presenter.

He told the paper he sent "inappropriate messages" to two colleagues on the One Show, but insisted he "did nothing illegal" and said they were sent to "two consenting adults".

The former Match of the Day and One Show host had his contract terminated this week for allegedly sending inappropriate messages to a female colleague.

The BBC has not disclosed further details about the allegations against him.

He admits he sent messages, and consenting as presumably he got messages back? If they did, what happened?

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Maybe the other person either got cold feet or got caught out by their partner and put the whole thing on him

In which case one might expect no one to be sacked as it would be a reciprocal conversation between adults?

Does sound like your doing a bit of victim blaming? "

Why do some men find it so hard to understand that sometimes things are one sided?

4 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Maybe the other person either got cold feet or got caught out by their partner and put the whole thing on him

Why do some men find it so hard to understand that sometimes things are one sided?"

That's because some still think all women who interact either professional or in public life are gagging to fuck and literally anyone will do..

(Said with tongue in cheek)

Him..

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

Does sound like your doing a bit of victim blaming? "

It would not be the first time that someone got stitched up

It maybe needs more info before wholly blaming on e side or the other

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/24 13:08:45]

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

- BBC Sacked him for inappropriate behaviour.

- He is 'shocked' and denies any wrongdoing.

- He says his Lawyers are looking at this.

- His Agents drop him.

- He does and editorial, still insisting he's done nothing wrong.

- The next day he admits to 'inappropriate behaviour' and he has let himself down and his family.

Yup. Quite the stitch up!

- Now he's doing the rounds of damage limitation by saying 'I'm getting Therapy' and I can shift some blame to others for answering my messages, without noting that they are not employed by the BBC and as such they can not be acted upon.

- Two other women were the ones who reported him.

He's quite stitched up himself, really.

4 weeks ago

in Lancashire

It would not be the first time that someone got stitched up

It maybe needs more info before wholly blaming on e side or the other "

Even after he's put his hands up and fully accepting of his mistakes?

What info is needed to explain anything other than there's only him to blame which he's done so..?

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"- BBC Sacked him for inappropriate behaviour.

- His Agents drop him.

- The next day he admits to 'inappropriate behaviour' and he has let himself down and his family.

- Now he's doing the rounds of damage limitation by saying 'I'm getting Therapy' and I can shift some blame to others for answering my messages, without noting that they are not employed by the BBC and as such they can not be acted upon.

"

Just to add:

- Jermaine Jenas has admitted to sending "inappropriate messages" to women *****after***** he was sacked by the BBC.

4 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"- BBC Sacked him for inappropriate behaviour.

- His Agents drop him.

"

I think when he said 'i am not a sexpest' it was one of those I wonder if this is something that he's done before and more allegations might now come out..

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/24 13:38:33]

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Stupid is, what stupid does.

Men do need to hang-back a bit and think about how and what they write to women. The fact that a woman answers a message really does 'not mean' her knickers are half-off and waiting with bated breath . . . a shocking realisation, but there you have it!

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

Talksport also seem to be dropping him from any future work, according to a statement.

By *CBoyTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Penygraig

Never heard of this bloke before these news reports on sacking. Who cares

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/24 14:23:00]

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"Never heard of this bloke before these news reports on sacking. Who cares "

The women he messaged - The BBC - The Broadcasters who pay him - His Wife & Children. Quite a few Licence Payers/

At a guess

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

"Never heard of this bloke before these news reports on sacking. Who cares

The women he messaged - The BBC - The Broadcasters who pay him - His Wife & Children. Quite a few Licence Payers/

At a guess "

Yes whatever happened to people saying don’t text me again

By *usybee73 OP   Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

At a guess

Yes whatever happened to people saying don’t text me again "

This is what in struggling with, block button and report to the manager as to the reason.

Did they reply in the same manner? Who knows...

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

At a guess

Yes whatever happened to people saying don’t text me again "

Maybe they did. And maybe he did it anyways. And stop blaming the victim.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

4 weeks ago

East Sussex

At a guess

This is what in struggling with, block button and report to the manager as to the reason.

Did they reply in the same manner? Who knows... "

Exactly who knows, therefore speculating that the women are somehow responsible is in poor taste. He's the architect of his own downfall due to crass stupidity by his own admission.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

At a guess

Did they reply in the same manner? Who knows... "

Do you realise how much this shows male privilege?

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

At a guess

Maybe they did. And maybe he did it anyways. And stop blaming the victim."

Who’s blaming the victim?

Simply pointing out possibilities!

You or I do not know the whole story do we

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

At a guess

Did they reply in the same manner? Who knows...

Do you realise how much this shows male privilege?"

Male privilege?

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"

You or I do not know the whole story do we "

After saying, he hadn't he then admitted he had, so that is pretty clear - after being sacked he then did it again to two other women, that's clear too. From his own mouth.

Simply saying just block him is a form of victim blaming. It makes it their responsibility to control his abhorrent behaviour, not his.

Classic 'Victim Blaming'.

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

"

After saying, he hadn't he then admitted he had, so that is pretty clear - after being sacked he then did it again to two other women, that's clear too. From his own mouth.

Simply saying just block him is a form of victim blaming. It makes it their responsibility to control his abhorrent behaviour, not his.

"

I don’t recall him saying he had not text them ? He did say there were 2 sides to every story

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"

I don’t recall him saying he had not text them ? He did say there were 2 sides to every story "

Yes. he did. He said he had done nothing wrong. There are two side to this story:

1. His abhorent behaviour.

2. The victim of that behaviour.

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

"

I don’t recall him saying he had not text them ? He did say there were 2 sides to every story

Yes. he did. He said he had done nothing wrong. There are two side to this story:

1. His abhorent behaviour.

2. The victim of that behaviour.

"

But you still do not know if there were texts before then that your victim was ok with ? Maybe it started out differently who knows 🤷‍♂️

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

He's admitted he was wrong to do it.

***** In an interview with The Sun on Friday, Jenas insisted "nothing physical ever happened" but confessed to "cheating" on his wife.

He said: "I'm not proud of what I wrote and what I said. This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you're a member of the BBC." *****

"I have let myself down, my family, friends and colleagues down, and I owe everyone an apology - especially the women with whom I was messaging. I am so, so sorry." *****

Pretty clear really.

By *ovebjsMan
4 weeks ago

Bristol

"He's admitted he was wrong to do it.

***** In an interview with The Sun on Friday, Jenas insisted "nothing physical ever happened" but confessed to "cheating" on his wife.

He said: "I'm not proud of what I wrote and what I said. This is all on me and I fully accept there is a level of responsibility that needs to be upheld when you're a member of the BBC." *****

"I have let myself down, my family, friends and colleagues down, and I owe everyone an apology - especially the women with whom I was messaging. I am so, so sorry." *****

Pretty clear really. "

Yup! Damage limitation

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

And realising that he was a crass ass.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

4 weeks ago

East Sussex

Man does something wrong.

Why didn't women stop him?

It's a story as old as time that somehow when men behave badly women become responsible for stopping them.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"Man does something wrong.

Why didn't women stop him?

It's a story as old as time that somehow when men behave badly women become responsible for stopping them. "

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

It's so like defending a burglar for breaking into someone's house because you had the temerity to have nice things.

Or the old 'Well, it is her fault for wearing a short skirt'.

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I'm not on anyone's side, just a couple of points.

BBC have said 'inappropriate behaviour', we have no idea what that means.

JJ has said 'consenting adults'.

Seems there's a few jumping the gun without having the full facts.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"I'm not on anyone's side, just a couple of points.

Seems there's a few jumping the gun without having the full facts. "

He. Has said Zoom and Texting.

I have only spoken about what HE has admitted too - And nothing about what the BBC has spoken about.

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I have only spoken about what HE has admitted too - And nothing about what the BBC has spoken about."

He hasn't said what he did. He has also said they were consenting.

I'm not saying believe that, but it looks like you've already made up your mind.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 24/08/24 19:48:11]

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

I have only spoken about what HE has admitted too - And nothing about what the BBC has spoken about.

I'm not saying believe that, but it looks like you've already made up your mind. "

He has said. Texting and Zoom

I have read and talked only about what HE said he's done - So yes, my mind is made up by HIS admissions of inappropriate behaviour.

Otherwise, what is he apologising for?

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I'm not saying believe that, but it looks like you've already made up your mind.

I have read and talked only about what HE said he's done - So yes, my mind is made up by HIS admissions of inappropriate behaviour.

"

What does he mean by 'inappropriate'?

It could be as simple as texting others whilst married.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

4 weeks ago

East Sussex

It could be as simple as texting others whilst married. "

Who knows. He's been sacked, it's unlikely he was texting asking how their weekend was.

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

It could be as simple as texting others whilst married.

Who knows. He's been sacked, it's unlikely he was texting asking how their weekend was."

That's the point. None of us know, yet decisions have been made by posters on here.

By *esYesOMGYes!Man
3 weeks ago

M20

Will he be on GB News any time soon?They can be very sympathetic to anyone “cancelled”.

Post new Message to Thread