Back to forum list
Back to Politics

DNC superbowl !!!!

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

… sorry .. meant the democratic national convention 2024

If you think of our party conference season every year…. Only do it once every 4 years and times that by a lot!! That is you will see this week!

It’s a political wonks/nerds dream!!!

I was going to do one for the RNC version… but it was too much of me screaming at the TV saying that not true!!!!!

Anyway.. this week is the lefts side to show off and try to appeal to people… there may be a few surprises along the way

Just a few of the headlines speakers this weekend

Monday is Joe bidens night , semi headlined by Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama

Tuesday is being headlined by president Obama , also speaking is Kamala husband

Wednesday is being headlined by vice president pick Tim walz , co main is president bill Clinton

And Thursday, Kamala Harris will give her acceptance speech.. I think that is the night you may see a few famous special guest stars… ahem…. Beyoncé

So I may not be around this week much… or what I may do is give a brief of the night before, because I am going to tape the whole lot!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
4 weeks ago

Border of London

"...tape the whole lot!!! "

You are so retro...

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

That is some commitment, is it an extreme internet challenge? I’ve no idea what you would do if you was suffering from insomnia, if you can stay awake through Biden and Clinton

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"...tape the whole lot!!!

You are so retro... "

Sky+ the whole lot… more hip now!!

Plus it’s being streamed on all the major us news networks so I can go back

The really nerdy bit of me says if you get a chance.. watch the roll call of the states.. it’s so full of cheesy goodness!!!

By *igNick1381Man
4 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

"… sorry .. meant the democratic national convention 2024

If you think of our party conference season every year…. Only do it once every 4 years and times that by a lot!! That is you will see this week!

I was going to do one for the RNC version… but it was too much of me screaming at the TV saying that not true!!!!!

Anyway.. this week is the lefts side to show off and try to appeal to people… there may be a few surprises along the way

Monday is Joe bidens night , semi headlined by Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama

Wednesday is being headlined by vice president pick Tim walz , co main is president bill Clinton

And Thursday, Kamala Harris will give her acceptance speech.. I think that is the night you may see a few famous special guest stars… ahem…. Beyoncé

So I may not be around this week much… or what I may do is give a brief of the night before, because I am going to tape the whole lot!!! "

Look at the attractive Hollywood stars

Watch as Weekend at Bidens says his line's after being ousted

Cheer for Kamala's coup while also chanting 'save democracy'

Ignore the Gaza protesters outside

All is well

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"… sorry .. meant the democratic national convention 2024

So I may not be around this week much… or what I may do is give a brief of the night before, because I am going to tape the whole lot!!!

Look at the attractive Hollywood stars

Watch as Weekend at Bidens says his line's after being ousted

Cheer for Kamala's coup while also chanting 'save democracy'

Ignore the Gaza protesters outside

All is well "

As I said to the reform candidate who squirmed on my doorstep as I took apart his immigration policy for the general election.. and then had the audacity to ask if he could rely on my vote….

… put me down as a maybe!!!

By *entlemanFoxMan
4 weeks ago

North East / London

Fabio,

I admire your dedication.

It will be an interesting week in the election process. The democrats have certainly had a boost since the change of candidates. Her performance will be critical for KH to increase her momentum.

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Got up early to see the pre prime time stuff.. so early thoughts … glad to see Jesse Jackson get his praise, I didn’t realise he was that ill! Lots of the minor speeches were actually pretty good!

The dems are going to have a lot of punchy 30-60 second ads, the one about Covid and the one on manufacturing were particularly good!!!

And the soul children of Chicago singing the national anthem!!! Absolutely crushed it!!! Best version I have heard in a long time!!!! (Go look it up!)

Just about to start on the prime time stuff.. so I reckon about 3-4 hours to go!!!

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

If it's good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for America . . .

*****Mark Hamill tells voters ‘don’t go to the orange side’ at DNC

The Star Wars actor has endorsed the Kamala Harris - Tim Walz ticket for the upcoming election.*****

By *oxychick35Couple
4 weeks ago

thornaby

"If it's good enough for Luke Skywalker, it's good enough for America . . .

The Star Wars actor has endorsed the Kamala Harris - Tim Walz ticket for the upcoming election.*****

"

aw well it’s in the bag then lol

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

aw well it’s in the bag then lol"

May the fifth be with you.

By *oxychick35Couple
4 weeks ago

thornaby

May the fifth be with you. "

prefer the filth be with me if I’m honest

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Finished it!!!! Wow…okay…. Thought’s

Solid day 1…. Good speeches, the democrats bench for speakers are deep! AOC was particularly good… so was senator warnock

Need to tighten up on the speeches.. need to talk quicker! Can’t be finishing at almost 12.30 eastern!!! (To give you a sense of how late they ran… bidens speech started at the same time the late night talk shows would have!… kimmel/fallon and Colbert all start at 11.30 eastern)

Only bit that really made me cringe is when the delegates started chanting lock him up in the middle of Hillary Clinton’s speech…. No need! Let the system do its thing!

But other than that.. day 2 has 2nd dude Doug, and both Obama’s… as well as others!!

By *wosmilersCouple
4 weeks ago

Heathrowish

"Finished it!!!! Wow…okay…. Thought’s

Solid day 1…. Good speeches, the democrats bench for speakers are deep! AOC was particularly good… so was senator warnock

Need to tighten up on the speeches.. need to talk quicker! Can’t be finishing at almost 12.30 eastern!!! (To give you a sense of how late they ran… bidens speech started at the same time the late night talk shows would have!… kimmel/fallon and Colbert all start at 11.30 eastern)

Only bit that really made me cringe is when the delegates started chanting lock him up in the middle of Hillary Clinton’s speech…. No need! Let the system do its thing!

But other than that.. day 2 has 2nd dude Doug, and both Obama’s… as well as others!! "

Being not overly aware of the American psyche, can I ask whether you think that chants of "lock him up" are likely to work for or against the Democrats among the undecided electorate?

Speaking from my very restricted UK perspective, it wouldn't encourage me to vote Democrat if I was undecided....and wouldn't encourage me to vote for Trump either.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

May the fifth be with you. "

Filth you say?

It IS fabswingers

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Filth you say?

It IS fabswingers "

Nope. Said 'Fifth'.

By *oxychick35Couple
4 weeks ago

thornaby

Filth you say?

It IS fabswingers

Nope. Said 'Fifth'. "

it’s not what you said it’s what I wanted to hear lol

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The roll call of states has just started if you want to see it…..

This is my nerdy favourite part of the convention

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I thought the 2020 COVID DNC roll call was so brilliant and original… but this one is off the charts!!!

Whoever had this idea is a genius!!!!!

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

Any sign of the "mostly peaceful protests" breaking through the wall that was built to keep them out?

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Any sign of the "mostly peaceful protests" breaking through the wall that was built to keep them out? "

There was a tiny piece of fencing broken on Monday but it was replaced quickly

They are expecting the most protests on the Monday and Thursday of the convention

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Oh boy can the Obama’s give speeches!!!!

President Obama was brilliant

Michelle Obama’s may honestly go down as one of the best convention speeches I have ever seen!!

You could absolutely tell that they had both saved up 7 years of stuff they needed to get off their chests!!

I don’t think there are many convention days I have actually enjoyed more than today

Today smashed it out of the park!

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Oh boy can the Obama’s give speeches!!!!

Michelle Obama’s may honestly go down as one of the best convention speeches I have ever seen!!

You could absolutely tell that they had both saved up 7 years of stuff they needed to get off their chests!!

I don’t think there are many convention days I have actually enjoyed more than today

Today smashed it out of the park! "

I’m going to put you down as a maybe for democrats, what do they need to do above and beyond to convince you

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

How about the women of the convention? Have they been given more electrical power as mentioned by the fully cognitive, best he's ever been president of the USA ?

What an absolute clown show and cringe-fest! Even more ridiculous than the RNC. That takes some doing.

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I’ve watched the highlight

What did they mean by hope is making a come back?

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
4 weeks ago

Border of London

"I’ve watched the highlight

What did they mean by hope is making a come back? "

Make America Great Again.

You tap into people's nostalgia and promise more of it in the future.

I.e.: Remember those good old days, when we had hope? Then someone came and took that away, and things are crappy and hopeless. We can bring back those good old days, when there was hope.

It's a theme that's hundreds of years older than MAGA. In fact, the Blues Traveller song/video clip "Hook" illustrates it well. Standard politics.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Maybe the hope that women will have autonomy over their own bodies?

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I’m going to put you down as a maybe for democrats, what do they need to do above and beyond to convince you "

I’ll tell you where I was at….

I am a member of democrats abroad… have been so since Kerry 04, … first time I contributed was Obama in 08, preferred sanders over Clinton and contributed! Had not contributed to the Biden campaign

I recognised a couple of delegates in the democrats abroad section in the roll call, geeked out! I am not super active but aware of who I need to know

You all know I have been confident throughout the campaign the democratics would win, and I have been honest that the 1st time I worried was after the debate!

And an hour ago was the first time I donated to the Harris walz campaign!

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

I’m going to put you down as a maybe for democrats, what do they need to do above and beyond to convince you

I am a member of democrats abroad… have been so since Kerry 04, … first time I contributed was Obama in 08, preferred sanders over Clinton and contributed! Had not contributed to the Biden campaign

I recognised a couple of delegates in the democrats abroad section in the roll call, geeked out! I am not super active but aware of who I need to know

You all know I have been confident throughout the campaign the democratics would win, and I have been honest that the 1st time I worried was after the debate!

And an hour ago was the first time I donated to the Harris walz campaign! "

A fool and their money eh?

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The very first address that president trump gave on inauguration day was a speech talking about American carnage… and he always talks about America as being a failed state

He is forever putting down the country

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

A fool and their money eh?"

Hey… 25 dollars!, never give more than you can afford to lose!!

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

What did they mean by hope is making a come back?

The very first address that president trump gave on inauguration day was a speech talking about American carnage… and he always talks about America as being a failed state

He is forever putting down the country "

We have many of those here.

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

A fool and their money eh?

Hey… 25 dollars!, never give more than you can afford to lose!! "

Yeah but....giving your own hard earned cash to an organisation that is entirely backed by massive corporations and millionaire donors with various vested interests, agendas and dodgy dealings? Surely your vote (admittedly worthless) is donation enough?

Giving money to wealthy career politicians who don't know or care about you is senseless at best. I'm sure there's a worthy cause somewhere that would benefit more if you gave them 25 bucks. Giving it to already wealthy people over a cause that could do with the cash seems a little sick, maybe?

But then of course....you're a democrat...ties in nicely. Knock yourself out

By *oxychick35Couple
4 weeks ago

thornaby

And an hour ago was the first time I donated to the Harris walz campaign! "

iv seen you on here for years _abio and one thing you always are is honest good on you bud

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

I get up at 4am for work so see some of the speakers, I find it cringe worthy at best ...

Sleepy Joe claiming he's been the best for the American economy and how he sorted out covid ...

Obama and his Mrs claiming to be working class hero's, trying to turn it into a black/white issue, forgetting how many times he took USA to a fruitless war.

Tomorrow, bringing out Clinton... I didn't touch that woman. Couldn't make it up if you tried

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Trump is sooooooooooooo funny.

******Trump hits back at Obamas for ‘getting personal’******

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Oh boy the last night was amazing… the only thing missing was Beyoncé with the false rumour

Boy… seeing Elizabeth warren with tears, gabby Giffords (who I still believe would have been the first woman president if not for her assassination attempt) big gretch (my governor!!) the kids teaching people how to pronounce Kamala’s name properly (that should just about kill Donald mocking her name)

And the main speech.. absolutely her best!!!

You know trump was rattled because his immediate reaction was to call into Fox News and gibber till they cut him off!

And don’t mention the ratings to Trump… he is apparently fuming

The night 2 comparison was that 14 million watched night 2 of the RNC… where as 22 million watched night 2 of the DNC

By *eard and TattsCouple
4 weeks ago

Cwmbran

Wasn't Jeffery Marsh at the dnc?

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Wasn't Jeffery Marsh at the dnc?

"

Had to look up who this person was… and I still don’t see the relevance.. there were a ton of different content creators at the dnc this week

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Anyway… if you want to know how much of this rattled trump ….

56 messages on his truth social platform during her acceptance speech…

Then followed by the phone call to Fox News where he was talking gibberish and they eventually had to cut him off….

…… then followed by another phone call to newsmax, where he was talking more gibberish and they eventually cut him off….

….. followed by a another phone call, this time to a personal mobile phone of another Fox News anchor who happened to be on the air… who basically put it against a microphone, where he was talking gibberish and the would not stop talking to the point where this person’s audience were laughing.. and eventually the anchor had to cut him off!!!

He basically lost the plot…. Between having Republican Adam kinzinger on, the Central Park five, and the kids mocking him, he was raging!

By *eard and TattsCouple
4 weeks ago

Cwmbran

"Anyway… if you want to know how much of this rattled trump ….

Then followed by the phone call to Fox News where he was talking gibberish and they eventually had to cut him off….

…… then followed by another phone call to newsmax, where he was talking more gibberish and they eventually cut him off….

….. followed by a another phone call, this time to a personal mobile phone of another Fox News anchor who happened to be on the air… who basically put it against a microphone, where he was talking gibberish and the would not stop talking to the point where this person’s audience were laughing.. and eventually the anchor had to cut him off!!!

He basically lost the plot…. Between having Republican Adam kinzinger on, the Central Park five, and the kids mocking him, he was raging!

"

Are you originally from America?

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"Anyway… if you want to know how much of this rattled trump ….

"

According to CP3O he's like R2D2 'He excels at talking gibberish Master Luke'

By *eroy1000Man
4 weeks ago

milton keynes

I don't follow American politics much but have read bits on the bbc in the last few days. It appears the democrats have been launching personal attacks on trump. Normally I would say this is a mistake but what I read says that trump can't help himself to respond with personal attacks of his own. His advisors want him to stay on topics like the economy as it gives him the best chance. All the time he is falling in the trap of responding to personal stuff his main message is not getting heard. The BBC also done a fact check on some claims by the democrats which makes interesting reading and surprised me on certain things. Seems they are not immune to bending the truth.

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Bit of fact checking ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clyw1l4lgnlo

It's a good job they never fact checked Obama and Biden speech

By *eard and TattsCouple
4 weeks ago

Cwmbran

"Bit of fact checking ...

It's a good job they never fact checked Obama and Biden speech "

Quite difficult to fact check anything Biden has said, I'd say a translator would be better.

Like that one homer Simpsons brother invented to translate what his baby said

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Bit of fact checking ...

It's a good job they never fact checked Obama and Biden speech "

I don’t know if that is quite the flex you think it is if you read the actual article…. 3 of those 5 flat out aren’t false!

So of the 5 major points mentioned in the article…. The trump pulling the US out of NATO one is true (in fact because of what happened on January 6th, the senate rushed through a bill stating a president cannot unilaterally pull the US out of NATO, it now needs a senate supermajority to do it .. 60 votes out of 100)

The immigration law trump takes a victory lap and takes credit for it… which is weird since the bill was written by one of the most conservative senators, James Langford of Oklahoma, contains almost every demand that republicans made, and nothing on DACA or a dreamers pathway to citizenship

The reason trump has given for tanking the bill, was that he wanted immigration to be an election issue …. Irony being if it was trump in power with the current state of the house and the senate… that bill would not pass!

The increase in bills being $4000 dollars a year….. again estimates have been between $1700 and 4600 depending on the analysis… however this is one of those where trumps mouth may get him in trouble … because in the last couple of weeks Trump has been saying it would be a 10% tariff, he has been floating the idea of a 20% tariff

Obviously if he does that those estimates would rise!

So that deals with 3 of the 5 claims……. I am going to deal with birth control and abortion rights separately because those I think will need added context with regards to how SCOTUS has chimed in

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

So are you saying bbc verify is wrong?

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So are you saying bbc verify is wrong? "

No… I am saying you didn’t bother to read the entire article and just went with the headline!

Did you read it? because it flat out says the nato claim is correct… and trump does take credit for tanking the immigration bill!

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"So are you saying bbc verify is wrong?

No… I am saying you didn’t bother to read the entire article and just went with the headline!

Did you read it? because it flat out says the nato claim is correct… and trump does take credit for tanking the immigration bill! "

You're complaining about someone not reading and then leaving out context. Be genuine.

CLAIM: “Trump … threatened to abandon Nato.”

VERDICT: This is true. Trump did threaten to leave the alliance. He has also said the US will remain a member as long as European allies increase their defence spending.

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Did you read it? because it flat out says the nato claim is correct… and trump does take credit for tanking the immigration bill! "

Oh I read it but I disagree with the BBC about nato, from what I recall, trump did threaten to take the states out due to the European countries not paying their way ... bit of a wake up call, think he threatened to pull troops out of European soil.

At the time I agreed with him, as only a few were paying the required fees, the UK was paying more I think 🤔

By *eard and TattsCouple
4 weeks ago

Cwmbran

They talk about trump alot don't they at these things?

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

That's the whole point.

To talk about the other guy and show the policy and character differences.

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

You can trust BBC verify

Let's look at their response to Kamalas DNC performance

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

Would Trump ban abortions across America?

CLAIM: Trump would "enact a nationwide abortion ban”.

VERDICT: This is misleading. Trump has said he would not sign a national abortion ban and that he believes the issue should be left to individual states

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

birth control?

CLAIM: “As a part of his [Trump’s] agenda, he and his allies would limit access to birth control.”

VERDICT: This is misleading. Trump has not said he would do this.

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

CLAIM: “Trump tax… would raise prices on middle class families by almost $4,000 a year."

VERDICT: This is based on one estimate of how much Trump's plan to impose tariffs - or taxes - on imported goods might cost US households. Other estimates are smaller.

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

Did you read it? because it flat out says the nato claim is correct… and trump does take credit for tanking the immigration bill!

You're complaining about someone not reading and then leaving out context. Be genuine.

CLAIM: “Trump … threatened to abandon Nato.”

VERDICT: This is true. Trump did threaten to leave the alliance. He has also said the US will remain a member as long as European allies increase their defence spending.

"

During his time in office, Trump did put “tough demands” on Nato members to meet their commitment to spend 2% of their GDP on defence, according to Rose Gottemoeller, who was Nato deputy secretary general during Trump’s presidency.

In 2016, the year Trump was elected, five countries were spending 2% or more of their GDP on defence. That increased to nine by 2020, the year Biden was elected.

And it has now gone up to 23 countries, according to Nato’s 2024 estimates.

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

But I'm sure Kamala is the best option

She can turn America around when she's in power

Not now when she's there, obviously. That would be silly

She's not going to fix things now

Later

Trust her

By *igtool2Man
3 weeks ago

Didcot

Kamala is an anchor baby.. ineligible to be President

By *mateur100Man
3 weeks ago

nr faversham

She's got nothing to offer at all. It's all talk and no substance, can't possibly succeed...oh hang on, that's modern western politics

By *otMe66Man
3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"But I'm sure Kamala is the best option

She can turn America around when she's in power

Not now when she's there, obviously. That would be silly

She's not going to fix things now

Later

Trust her"

By *igNick1381Man
3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

"She's got nothing to offer at all. It's all talk and no substance, can't possibly succeed...oh hang on, that's modern western politics "

Unfortunately yes

Whoever you vote for, they don't care about you. They're just getting rich

By *usybee73Man
3 weeks ago

in the sticks

Nice to see them singing off the same hymn sheet ...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13778321/Michelle-Obama-feud-Biden-Kamala-Harris-DNC.html

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
3 weeks ago

golden fields

"Nice to see them singing off the same hymn sheet ...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13778321/Michelle-Obama-feud-Biden-Kamala-Harris-DNC.html"

What's the jist, so we don't have to go to the DM website?

Post new Message to Thread