FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Oh lord… gb news are paying farage how much???!!!!!

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It’s the fun part of being an mp… you have to declare all your earnings in the parliament “book of interests”

So we found out a couple of things yesterday…..

The MP for clacton is now the highest earning MP in the entire parliament…..

So on top of the 91k per year he is earning as an MP, he is also earning 97k per month from presenting his programme on GB News.. plus other little bits and bobs ( appearance fees and newspaper articles ect)

The MP for clacton is currently earning almost £1.3 million pounds per year…

So… question…. Should MP’s from doing 2nd jobs?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Actually the biggest issue I have is this…

In the register of interest he states that his outside mp’s job “employment” accounts for 72 hours per month of his time….

That equates to 9 full days per month…..

I love to think I am good at time management, but that’s time he is not spending for example on constituency business, examining legislation ect….

For example… he has yet to hold a constituency surgery yet…

By *aidForSharingWoman
4 weeks ago

Lancashire

It's a cumulative amount for work since April. The media feed off people's gullible readiness to believe everything they read...

By *ik MMan
4 weeks ago

Lancashire

It wasn’t so long ago folk on here were laughing at him because they insisted Coutts closed his account because he was skint. Now they get all riled up because his company is earning a decent wedge.

Politics forum - everyone should be paid more…except people we don’t like.

Personally I’d rather we had about a third of the MP’s we currently have and they got paid 3 times as much, with minimal expenses and be barred from additional employment / media work / book deals etc.

What’s that saying about hating the game not the player?

By *roadShoulderzMan
4 weeks ago

Lerwick

GB News was losing about £3.5 million a month according to their latest available accounts.

I'm sure they feel Mr Farage's contribution is worth every penny, and worth mentioning their other big name presenter Boris Johnson, signed up nearly ten months ago but Boris can't be assed to turn up.

By *eroy1000Man
4 weeks ago

milton keynes

"It’s the fun part of being an mp… you have to declare all your earnings in the parliament “book of interests”

So on top of the 91k per year he is earning as an MP, he is also earning 97k per month from presenting his programme on GB News.. plus other little bits and bobs ( appearance fees and newspaper articles ect)

So… question…. Should MP’s from doing 2nd jobs? "

I would much prefer that MP's did not do second jobs but until that rule changes we are stuck with it. Personally, as long as he is sticking to the rules on outside earnings then I don't see a problem.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Hmmmm?

MP's don't have to 'hold surgeries' and many don't. That doesn't mean they are less able to represent their constituents.

If You/We don't want MP's to have second jobs, You/We should be writing to our MP's. Not sure how far that will get us, however.

You/We could get on the grass on College Green with a banner or two. Maybe glue ourselves to an MP and demand change?

Become an MP and represent change in the House.

Become an MP and join the gravy train.

The more you dislike the MP in question, the more likely you will feel the strain of your envy.

(Not a Farage fan, BTW).

By *astandFeistyCouple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Jealous??

By *estivalMan
4 weeks ago

borehamwood

Who really cares if a private company is paying him that much,on the other hand if it was the beeb paying him I could understand the outrage seems as there funded by the public

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

I suppose it shows, if nothing else, that GB News is just a rich man’s propaganda tool rather than a business.

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

What happened to the notion that the media was supposed to hold MPs and public figures to account? The press and news outlets are supposed to ask these people the difficult questions and hold their feet to the flames for proper answers. Journalism is dead and has been replaced by commentators and echo chamber talking heads.

If it's farage on gb news or lammy on lbc....no MP should be holding slots on the media. The media should be hammering them on policy not amplifying their message.

By *eroy1000Man
4 weeks ago

milton keynes

"What happened to the notion that the media was supposed to hold MPs and public figures to account? The press and news outlets are supposed to ask these people the difficult questions and hold their feet to the flames for proper answers. Journalism is dead and has been replaced by commentators and echo chamber talking heads.

If it's farage on gb news or lammy on lbc....no MP should be holding slots on the media. The media should be hammering them on policy not amplifying their message."

You forgot Yvette Cooper being interviewed by her husband on TV. It seems everything mentioned is within the rules so it is the rules that are at fault, not individuals for following them.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"It’s the fun part of being an mp… you have to declare all your earnings in the parliament “book of interests”

If a consultant is employed by the nhs, they can only work a maximum extra number of hours privately.

The same should be for an MP.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

So… question…. Should MP’s from doing 2nd jobs?

If a consultant is employed by the nhs, they can only work a maximum extra number of hours privately.

The same should be for an MP."

Oh and an MP should HAVE to work a minimum number of hours a month.

Otherwise wtf is their hourly rate?

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Jealous??"

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

" I suppose it shows, if nothing else, that GB News is just a rich man’s propaganda tool rather than a business."

Explain please.

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Who really cares if a private company is paying him that much,on the other hand if it was the beeb paying him I could understand the outrage seems as there funded by the public"

By *till gameMan
4 weeks ago

two doors down

"Actually the biggest issue I have is this…

In the register of interest he states that his outside mp’s job “employment” accounts for 72 hours per month of his time….

That equates to 9 full days per month…..

I love to think I am good at time management, but that’s time he is not spending for example on constituency business, examining legislation ect….

For example… he has yet to hold a constituency surgery yet… "

I would guess he hasn’t held a surgery yet due to safety reasons

To many leftie nutters about

By *illan-KillashMan
4 weeks ago

London/Sussex/Surrey/Berks/Hants

"It wasn’t so long ago folk on here were laughing at him because they insisted Coutts closed his account because he was skint. Now they get all riled up because his company is earning a decent wedge.

Politics forum - everyone should be paid more…except people we don’t like.

Personally I’d rather we had about a third of the MP’s we currently have and they got paid 3 times as much, with minimal expenses and be barred from additional employment / media work / book deals etc.

What’s that saying about hating the game not the player?

"

"Everyone should be paid more…except people we don’t like"

There's truth in this.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Who really cares if a private company is paying him that much,on the other hand if it was the beeb paying him I could understand the outrage seems as there funded by the public"

It may interfere with his mp work.

By *ggdrasil66Man
4 weeks ago

Saltdean

Elected to parliament for the first time, great highly paying second job. Leftists have been branding him a failure for so long, I can understand why they have arse ache now they know he isn’t, never has been.

Farage fir PM 2029!

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

" I suppose it shows, if nothing else, that GB News is just a rich man’s propaganda tool rather than a business.

Explain please."

GB News has lost £76 million since it was launched, its biggest loss came in the 2023 financial year, £42.4 million. That’s not a sustainable business without it being propped up by someone, that someone happens to be Sir Paul Roderick Clucas Marshall.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Elected to parliament for the first time, great highly paying second job. Leftists have been branding him a failure for so long, I can understand why they have arse ache now they know he isn’t, never has been.

Farage fir PM 2029!"

This lefty wants ALL MPs to earn their pay... you know, that which comes from the tax payer. The rest of us public sector workers are always getting in the neck about pay. Yet many of us do many hours more than we get paid for.

By *oxychick35Couple
4 weeks ago

thornaby

there job is supposedly hard enough so a 2nd job should be impossible

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"What happened to the notion that the media was supposed to hold MPs and public figures to account? The press and news outlets are supposed to ask these people the difficult questions and hold their feet to the flames for proper answers. Journalism is dead and has been replaced by commentators and echo chamber talking heads.

If it's farage on gb news or lammy on lbc....no MP should be holding slots on the media. The media should be hammering them on policy not amplifying their message."

100%

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

Don't have a problem with mps doing 2nd jobs, as long as there's no conflict of interest as in contracts etc.

Nothing wrong with media work, same as appearing on question time, hignfy, radio etc they are being paid for their opinion or solution. Sometimes giving a solution on media has more influence quicker then asking a question in parliament

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 18/08/24 20:11:01]

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
4 weeks ago

nearby

Small beer

Boris Johnson has now received earnings, hospitality and donations worth more than £5m since leaving Downing Street

By *usybee73Man
4 weeks ago

in the sticks

"Small beer

Boris Johnson has now received earnings, hospitality and donations worth more than £5m since leaving Downing Street"

Small beer compared to Blair, kinnock didn't do to bad either, never even made the top spot

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

So what? Wgaf?

It's a private company. They can pay what they want.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"So what? Wgaf?

It's a private company. They can pay what they want."

I do actually agree. I don't care how much that joke of a TV channel pays this clown.

But the issue, as mentioned above, is that the media is supposed to be holding to account out politicians. Can't really be trusted to grill anyone from Reform.

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"So what? Wgaf?

I do actually agree. I don't care how much that joke of a TV channel pays this clown.

But the issue, as mentioned above, is that the media is supposed to be holding to account out politicians. Can't really be trusted to grill anyone from Reform. "

So what? Plenty of other channels and people are willing to.

Even if GB news is partisan in favour of Farage so what? Most other channels don't hide their lefty credentials. BBC, ITV,channel4...

By (user no longer on site)
4 weeks ago

Maybe he's paid that much because he's getting the station views? We'd be more interested in his expenses claims, or would that just show up other MP's to be worse? You can ask questions you know, like, why are media focussing on X or Y specifically but not asking Z.

By *va_NightingaleTV/TS
4 weeks ago

North Manchester

"So what? Wgaf?

I do actually agree. I don't care how much that joke of a TV channel pays this clown. "

Why is GB news a 'joke'.....?

Why label Nigel Farage a 'clown'.....??

I see nothing even remotely amusing regarding GB news when I have time to view.

I've also not noticed Mr. Farage dressed up to resemble a 'clown' either.

On the other hand, every time I look in this joke-bound so-called 'political' section there's more than enough clowns spewing peurile rubbish that even a ten year old couldn't mimic.

The silly statements and occasional ridiculous sniping really deserves a place in some publication such as a latter day 'Comic Cuts'...!

I've actually been compiling certain brainless outbursts from the usual handful of fantasists, who vent themselves at random here, I think they're terrific in their own way, after all, who actually thinks their crakkpottiness (!) is serious on a platform such as this....??!

The good and sensible contributors ( they ALL know who they are and I respect them for what they post and the adult language used in such)

BUT..... don't mind me, carry on carping...!!

Bye...!! XXX

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"So what? Wgaf?

But the issue, as mentioned above, is that the media is supposed to be holding to account out politicians. Can't really be trusted to grill anyone from Reform.

Even if GB news is partisan in favour of Farage so what? Most other channels don't hide their lefty credentials. BBC, ITV,channel4..."

No MPs should be working in the media, in my opinion.

You mentioned before that you view any channels that use information to be "lefty" but that doesn't make it so.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

Well many mps have other business interests besides their jobs. However I believe that an MP having a job in in media is a conflict of interest.

Remember Andrew Coulsdon??? He dealt with the press releases for the tory party but yet somehow got the job without DV clearance??? Well when he was put through the process it was uncovered he was having an affair with Rebecca Brooks. Well we know the rest

By *onica-mayhemWoman
4 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

"So what? Wgaf?

Even if GB news is partisan in favour of Farage so what? Most other channels don't hide their lefty credentials. BBC, ITV,channel4...

You mentioned before that you view any channels that use information to be "lefty" but that doesn't make it so."

It's irrelevant if the news/media outlets are lefty or righty. The media is (should be) there to act as the bridge between the establishment and the tax paying public. All credibility is lost when arse holes like farage, mogg, lammy, balls....(choose your favourite arse hole) get to present their own shows.

They're hardly likely to ask themselves searching questions that could bring to light their own agenda. Instead you only get bullshit and rhetoric that further amplifies their own ideas.

Get wise to it!

By *abio OP   Man
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I see that a certain post has been removed… and the replies to that post..

Can I just say it was not me who reported the post in question.. nor did I ever ask for its removal (just cause I know how a lot of you people think!)

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

Farage has denied these claims saying he does not receive a salary from GB news. Instead he is an independent contractor and that figure is a gross sum paid to his PLC which has considerable expenses. So he can avoid a paying a lot of tax on it as well!

He really is putting his foot in his gob a lot these days.

Complaints are also coming in from Clacton that not one enquiry to his office regarding local issues has been acknowledged.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"So what? Wgaf?

You mentioned before that you view any channels that use information to be "lefty" but that doesn't make it so.

It's irrelevant if the news/media outlets are lefty or righty. The media is (should be) there to act as the bridge between the establishment and the tax paying public. All credibility is lost when arse holes like farage, mogg, lammy, balls....(choose your favourite arse hole) get to present their own shows.

They're hardly likely to ask themselves searching questions that could bring to light their own agenda. Instead you only get bullshit and rhetoric that further amplifies their own ideas.

Get wise to it!"

To be fair to Ed Balls, he’s not been an MP for a few years now. Still ridiculous that he was allowed to interview his wife though.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

"Elected to parliament for the first time, great highly paying second job. Leftists have been branding him a failure for so long, I can understand why they have arse ache now they know he isn’t, never has been.

Farage fir PM 2029!"

You're assuming that the reform party and their current mps will still be aroing in 2029

By *azzler2Man
4 weeks ago

halifax

I like to know how much tax he’s paying on his earnings

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

On his mps salary it will be 63.5k PA after deductions but that's PAYE.

As I posted above he doesn't get a salary from GB News, he's a contractor so they pay his company nearly 100k a month. Can't answer that but I'm sure he uses every legal loophole he can find or maybe not so legal ones???? That's between farage and his account.

By *eard and TattsCouple
4 weeks ago

Cwmbran

TDS

By *ronisMan
4 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"I like to know how much tax he’s paying on his earnings "

Why?

By *oo hotCouple
4 weeks ago

North West

" I suppose it shows, if nothing else, that GB News is just a rich man’s propaganda tool rather than a business.

Explain please.

GB News has lost £76 million since it was launched, its biggest loss came in the 2023 financial year, £42.4 million. That’s not a sustainable business without it being propped up by someone, that someone happens to be Sir Paul Roderick Clucas Marshall."

This is the nub of it really.

It clearly isn’t a sustainable business and the obvious inference can only be that it is being used for nefarious purposes.

It should be illegal to run any business (let alone a media organisation) at a loss on an ongoing basis.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

"

It should be illegal to run any business (let alone a media organisation) at a loss on an ongoing basis."

Why? If a backer has deep pockets and is willing to support it, that is their affair. Not ours.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"

It should be illegal to run any business (let alone a media organisation) at a loss on an ongoing basis.

Why? If a backer has deep pockets and is willing to support it, that is their affair. Not ours."

I do agree. If it's a passion project, shouldn't matter if it's a passion for doing good, or a passion for sewing misinformation and division in the case of GBbies. Making a loss shouldn't be a factor.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Plus, there are many tax offset rules to be gained from returning a loss.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Explain please.

GB News has lost £76 million since it was launched, its biggest loss came in the 2023 financial year, £42.4 million. That’s not a sustainable business without it being propped up by someone, that someone happens to be Sir Paul Roderick Clucas Marshall.

It clearly isn’t a sustainable business and the obvious inference can only be that it is being used for nefarious purposes.

It should be illegal to run any business (let alone a media organisation) at a loss on an ongoing basis."

I don’t agree with that last part, people just need to see GB News for what it is, a tv channel with tiny ratings that is the propaganda tool of a very rich man. Some people may construe that paying Nigel Farage over a million pounds a year for a slot on a tv channel with tiny ratings is more than poor business sense of course.

By *ggdrasil66Man
4 weeks ago

Saltdean

Farage fir PM 2029!

You're assuming that the reform party and their current mps will still be aroing in 2029 "

No shit Sherlock!

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

Farage fir PM 2029!

You're assuming that the reform party and their current mps will still be aroing in 2029

No shit Sherlock! "

We he hasn't got off to a great start has he?

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Farage fir PM 2029!

No shit Sherlock!

We he hasn't got off to a great start has he?"

But he spent a few days in the US to ‘promote Clacton on the world stage’

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

No point in explaining, that guy would still support farage if he walked into his house on Christmas day and pissed on his turkey

By *coptoCouple
4 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"I like to know how much tax he’s paying on his earnings"

Well, he doesn't pay any on the pension he gets from being an ex-MEP (not QUITE true, a token amount is deducted at source, the rest is transferred to the UK with a nice little high cost of living weighting. This net amount is NOT double-taxable in the UK, and he's exempt from any obligation to even declare it).

Court of Justice ruling in Case C-558/10 but, of course, our Nige is against the Court of Justice, ECHR and all that rubbish...

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

""I like to know how much tax he’s paying on his earnings""

"Well, he doesn't pay any on the pension he gets from being an ex-MEP (not QUITE true, a token amount is deducted at source, the rest is transferred to the UK with a nice little high cost of living weighting. This net amount is NOT double-taxable in the UK, and he's exempt from any obligation to even declare it).

Court of Justice ruling in Case C-558/10 but, of course, our Nige is against the Court of Justice, ECHR and all that rubbish..."

Are you saying that Nigel should ignore Court of Justice rulings if he disagrees with them? Would you extend that to all politicians?

By *illan-KillashMan
4 weeks ago

Explain please.

GB News has lost £76 million since it was launched, its biggest loss came in the 2023 financial year, £42.4 million. That’s not a sustainable business without it being propped up by someone, that someone happens to be Sir Paul Roderick Clucas Marshall."

Actual losses or didn't make the planned profit?

I've worked for companies who project for example, a £50 million profit next year.

If they only make £40 million profit, its recorded as a £10 million loss.

Er, no, you still made £40 million.

Now, if it costs £50 million to run the company and you only make £40 million, that's a definite loss.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

Oh and I very much doubt he is the richest mp in parliament by a long shot.

Only the richest on declared earnings

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Explain please.

I've worked for companies who project for example, a £50 million profit next year.

Now, if it costs £50 million to run the company and you only make £40 million, that's a definite loss. "

Actual losses, their outgoings were more than 10 times their earnings.

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Explain please.

Now, if it costs £50 million to run the company and you only make £40 million, that's a definite loss.

Actual losses, their outgoings were more than 10 times their earnings."

accumulate to speculate, even you are an avid watcher of fortunes, it is only a matter of time before you’re watching Farage on his show.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

https://moneyzine.com/uk/resources/the-richest-mps-in-the-uk-government/

FYI

By *illan-KillashMan
4 weeks ago

Explain please.

Actual losses, their outgoings were more than 10 times their earnings."

Well that is not sustainable from a business perspective long term.

Even if its just a vanity project for a multi millionaire's propaganda machine, the constant loss on that scale will bring most people to their senses, financially if not politically.

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Explain please.

Actual losses, their outgoings were more than 10 times their earnings.

Well that is not sustainable from a business perspective long term.

Even if its just a vanity project for a multi millionaire's propaganda machine, the constant loss on that scale will bring most people to their senses, financially if not politically. "

Sir Paul has invested another £40 million to cover the last financial year’s losses, but what you said does make me wonder if he is doing all the investing or is perhaps a conduit for money coming from elsewhere, maybe from outside the UK?

By *irldnCouple
4 weeks ago

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 20/08/24 08:01:04]

By *irldnCouple
4 weeks ago

Brighton

@Nik M totally agree;

""Personally I’d rather we had about a third of the MP’s we currently have and they got paid 3 times as much, with minimal expenses and be barred from additional employment / media work / book deals etc.""

The issue isn’t what Farage earns. I don’t like the bloke or what he says, does, and stands for, but good luck to him making a living as a private individual BUT he is now an MP. He is no longer a private individual. He is a public servant. The rules should, IMO, be different. Don’t like it, don’t take the job (of MP).

His job as an MP should be his sole focus. IMO they should be very well paid to ensure that focus is not compromised and compensate for not being allowed second jobs to attract the cleverest and the best.

By *verysmileMan
4 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

Explain please.

The problem with this is that many sporting and other cultural institutions would have to close.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

"@Nik M totally agree;

"Personally I’d rather we had about a third of the MP’s we currently have and they got paid 3 times as much, with minimal expenses and be barred from additional employment / media work / book deals etc."

The issue isn’t what Farage earns. I don’t like the bloke or what he says, does, and stands for, but good luck to him making a living as a private individual BUT he is now an MP. He is no longer a private individual. He is a public servant. The rules should, IMO, be different. Don’t like it, don’t take the job (of MP).

His job as an MP should be his sole focus. IMO they should be very well paid to ensure that focus is not compromised and compensate for not being allowed second jobs to attract the cleverest and the best."

Yeah I agree that their main focus should be doing the job of an MP but you can't really stop them having other business interests. Yeah a lot do public speaking etc which farage has done (ok once 10 people showed at 8 of them were his staff) and a lot have buy to let's and rent out commercial property. I always found it hypocritical that Tony Blair and has wife own 20 high end buy to let's when this should be against everything labour are supposed to represent (well old school labour anyway)

However I believe that being an mp and working as a journalist or working for a news outlet is a major conflict of interest and should not be allowed! She my above post regarding Rebecca Brooks.

And yes if an mp is found to be ignoring their public duties in favour of their other interests then it needs to be addressed.

In the case of farage as already pointed out he has not addressed one query from his constituents and anyone that thought he was using Clacton for anything other than a stepping stone is stupid. We'll see how long it takes for them to catch on? But for the cult of farage 5 years might not even be long enough

By *irldnCouple
4 weeks ago

Brighton

"@Nik M totally agree;

"Personally I’d rather we had about a third of the MP’s we currently have and they got paid 3 times as much, with minimal expenses and be barred from additional employment / media work / book deals etc."

His job as an MP should be his sole focus. IMO they should be very well paid to ensure that focus is not compromised and compensate for not being allowed second jobs to attract the cleverest and the best.

Yeah I agree that their main focus should be doing the job of an MP but you can't really stop them having other business interests. Yeah a lot do public speaking etc which farage has done (ok once 10 people showed at 8 of them were his staff) and a lot have buy to let's and rent out commercial property. I always found it hypocritical that Tony Blair and has wife own 20 high end buy to let's when this should be against everything labour are supposed to represent (well old school labour anyway)

However I believe that being an mp and working as a journalist or working for a news outlet is a major conflict of interest and should not be allowed! She my above post regarding Rebecca Brooks.

And yes if an mp is found to be ignoring their public duties in favour of their other interests then it needs to be addressed.

In the case of farage as already pointed out he has not addressed one query from his constituents and anyone that thought he was using Clacton for anything other than a stepping stone is stupid. We'll see how long it takes for them to catch on? But for the cult of farage 5 years might not even be long enough"

2nd jobs that are a conflict of interest = no way

Investments are different but still requires scrutiny if they have influence over Govt policy that could benefit them personally.

I say demonstrable minimum threshold of hours spent on MP and constituent business needed.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

"@Nik M totally agree;

In the case of farage as already pointed out he has not addressed one query from his constituents and anyone that thought he was using Clacton for anything other than a stepping stone is stupid. We'll see how long it takes for them to catch on? But for the cult of farage 5 years might not even be long enough

Investments are different but still requires scrutiny if they have influence over Govt policy that could benefit them personally.

I say demonstrable minimum threshold of hours spent on MP and constituent business needed."

Yeah you're preaching to the choir here!

4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"@Nik M totally agree;

I say demonstrable minimum threshold of hours spent on MP and constituent business needed."

I would go further, I would ban MPs voting on anything they have a financial interest in.

Rent properties out - you don’t get to vote on legislation relating to renting.

Own shares in private healthcare companies - you don’t get to vote on health related matters.

By *hawn ScottMan
4 weeks ago

london Brixton

"@Nik M totally agree;

I say demonstrable minimum threshold of hours spent on MP and constituent business needed.

I would go further, I would ban MPs voting on anything they have a financial interest in.

Rent properties out - you don’t get to vote on legislation relating to renting.

Own shares in private healthcare companies - you don’t get to vote on health related matters."

Ah! Mps aren't required to declare buy to let's to parliament

By *eroy1000Man
4 weeks ago

milton keynes

"@Nik M totally agree;

His job as an MP should be his sole focus. IMO they should be very well paid to ensure that focus is not compromised and compensate for not being allowed second jobs to attract the cleverest and the best."

I agree being an MP should be their sole purpose or at worst their primary purpose. If they are allowed to have these second jobs then a decent percentage earned from them should automatically go to charity. It highlights the problem is the rules

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I’m not in agreement with the idea MP’s shouldn’t have any other jobs or they can’t have a say on sectors they might own shares in, heaven forbid they invest in a pension…

I’m also not in favour of increasing the salary, it will attract even more career politicians.

They should be held accountable for what they’re elected for, this is what is missing, not turning up to take their seat, not spending time in their constituency, etc. if they don’t perform their duties they should be warned and after a 3rd warning the seat should be made available again.

Make them accountable, not throw more money at them in the hope it produces better outcomes.

By *irldnCouple
4 weeks ago

Brighton

"I’m not in agreement with the idea MP’s shouldn’t have any other jobs or they can’t have a say on sectors they might own shares in, heaven forbid they invest in a pension…

I’m also not in favour of increasing the salary, it will attract even more career politicians.

They should be held accountable for what they’re elected for, this is what is missing, not turning up to take their seat, not spending time in their constituency, etc. if they don’t perform their duties they should be warned and after a 3rd warning the seat should be made available again.

Make them accountable, not throw more money at them in the hope it produces better outcomes.

"

I like your more accountable approach but combined with other points. There is sometimes a huge conflict of interest.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

"I’m not in agreement with the idea MP’s shouldn’t have any other jobs or they can’t have a say on sectors they might own shares in, heaven forbid they invest in a pension…

"

Aren't they elected to represent their constituents..? Does that not involve spending time in the constituency and parliament, otherwise how else would you measure it.

Of course Ministers and cabinet members take on extra duties and responsibilities. They should be able to employ a extra person to take over their constituency duties. But the local level is how every MPs ability should be measured.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"

By *rHotNottsMan
4 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I’m surprised at 1.3 million put him

The highest paid MP. Common knowledge Several MP are making tens of millions from their businesses I know that Jeremy Hunt cashed out hot courses a few years back, well 49% of it for several millions and re-reinvested it.

I think what they are declaring is paid by clients actual portfolio of business interests and directorships. If you search the names on DUNs Some of them have about 20 different companies

By *ophieslutTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Central

I'd like all MPs to solely have that one job. I think it was a party that didn't win, that may have had it in their manifesto.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I'd like all MPs to solely have that one job. I think it was a party that didn't win, that may have had it in their manifesto."

The idea behind allowing MPs to have second jobs was to allow them to keep their professional licences. That way you could allow useful people like doctors, magistrates, and barristers to become MPs, and they could do the legal minimum of outside work to maintain their licence to practice.

It does seem that some are bending the rules a little.

Post new Message to Thread