Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Owen Jones

Jump to newest

By *mateur100 OP   Man
7 weeks ago

nr faversham

I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ortyairCouple
7 weeks ago

Wallasey

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader "
What comments and what newsreader?

Mrs x

By *astandFeistyCouple
7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader What comments and what newsreader?

Mrs x"

"The Sun is a disgusting rag and they have to pay for what they’ve done to Huw Edwards.

They tried to destroy someone’s life with false claims of illegality involving a minor.

We know now there was no criminality, and The Sun have driven a vulnerable man into medical care."

He's still at it tbf.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
7 weeks ago

nr faversham

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader What comments and what newsreader?

Mrs x"

"The sun is a disgusting rag and they have to pay for what they have done to Huw Edwards. They tried to destroy someone's life with false claims of illegality involving a minor. We now know there was no criminality and The Sun have driven a vulnerable man into medical care"...this is in today's edition of the disgusting rag, i assume it's from some social media port or another

By (user no longer on site)
7 weeks ago

Did the sun have any inkling about these pics ? (Not following too closely)

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

To be fair his views on what type of rag it is are not only his..

As to the the rest he should simply apologise..

By *wisted999Man
7 weeks ago

North Bucks

Owen Jones is such good value for his dropped bollocks.

The whole Kano fuck up had him shitting bricks as well.

By *onica-mayhemWoman
7 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

"Did the sun have any inkling about these pics ? (Not following too closely)"

The person in question made a complaint to the BBC in 2018 but were dismissed. They went to the police and were also dismissed. The family went to the sun newspaper and they took up their case and pushed it...fast forward to yesterday and Edwards is in custody.

Another bbc blind eye turned to one of their own it seems.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

I also understand that Owen Jones is a C#nt..

By *ortyairCouple
7 weeks ago

Wallasey

Mrs x

"The Sun is a disgusting rag and they have to pay for what they’ve done to Huw Edwards.

They tried to destroy someone’s life with false claims of illegality involving a minor.

We know now there was no criminality, and The Sun have driven a vulnerable man into medical care."

He's still at it tbf. "

I hate the Sun as much as the next person, especially living where we do.

But didn't Huw Edwards plead guilty to charges of making indecent images? If he went guilty that's criminality isn't it?

I'm asking because I don't know about this Owen Jones or what he's done.

Mrs x

By *ortyairCouple
7 weeks ago

Wallasey

Just had a quick read and think I understand now.

Mrs x

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"The person in question made a complaint to the BBC in 2018 but were dismissed. They went to the police and were also dismissed. The family went to the sun newspaper and they took up their case and pushed it...fast forward to yesterday and Edwards is in custody.

Another bbc blind eye turned to one of their own it seems.

That's my understanding of it anyway."

You're understanding of it is quite poor. Edwards has pleaded guilty, but to charges entirely unrelated to the ones that The Sun was pushing.

By *melie LALWoman
7 weeks ago

Peterborough

This is all as clear as mud.

By *mateur100 OP   Man
7 weeks ago

nr faversham

Mrs x

He's still at it tbf. I hate the Sun as much as the next person, especially living where we do.

But didn't Huw Edwards plead guilty to charges of making indecent images? If he went guilty that's criminality isn't it?

Mrs x"

Might I suggest people actually read the sun? Yes it's a redtop with Tory learnings but not to the extent of other redtops and it's far more likely to criticise the Tories than the left leaning media. Other than that I would suggest that Mr Jones is nasty left winger, from my viewing of him, with the inability to apologise

By *roadShoulderzMan
7 weeks ago

Lerwick

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader "

Will David Cameron apologise for giving Stuart Hall a CBE, or did Margaret Thatcher apologise for knighting Jimmy Savile (after being warned three times not to).

Piers Morgan is now attacking Owen Jones. Yes the same Piers Morgan who was heavily implicated in the Mirror's hacking of Milly Dowler's phone.

People with old scores to settle sabre rattling.

Let's not forget The Sun is controlled by a 92 year old man who until fairly recently had girls as young as sixteen years old topless on display is his trash newspaper every weekday.

7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Mrs x

He's still at it tbf. I hate the Sun as much as the next person, especially living where we do.

Mrs x

Might I suggest people actually read the sun? Yes it's a redtop with Tory learnings but not to the extent of other redtops and it's far more likely to criticise the Tories than the left leaning media. Other than that I would suggest that Mr Jones is nasty left winger, from my viewing of him, with the inability to apologise"

Owen Jones might be nasty, I don't know tbh as I've read little he's written but if your going to apply that to him then at least try and be equally objective about the sun who in it's past has been at a level that makes a 'nasty' person almost angelic..

By *mateur100 OP   Man
7 weeks ago

nr faversham

Mrs x

Mrs x

Might I suggest people actually read the sun? Yes it's a redtop with Tory learnings but not to the extent of other redtops and it's far more likely to criticise the Tories than the left leaning media. Other than that I would suggest that Mr Jones is nasty left winger, from my viewing of him, with the inability to apologise

Owen Jones might be nasty, I don't know tbh as I've read little he's written but if your going to apply that to him then at least try and be equally objective about the sun who in it's past has been at a level that makes a 'nasty' person almost angelic..

"

I read both and that's not the case. Try and put any prejudice to one side

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

Mrs x

Mrs x

"

The Sun has softened lately, it was truly horrific in the past. Although I don't pay it much head, so I don't know what it's like now.

Owen Jones is very irritating, especially in the way he presents his arguments. But he's not nasty.

7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Mrs x

Mrs x

I read both and that's not the case. Try and put any prejudice to one side"

Oh I'm fucking prejudiced alright, I despise what it stands for and what it plastered over it's vile shitty front pages in the past as the bodies of innocent football supporters were laid out in a Sheffield mortuary..

Do not tell me not to be prejudiced over that rag..

By *roadShoulderzMan
7 weeks ago

Lerwick

"

I read both and that's not the case. Try and put any prejudice to one side"

Oh the Irony..

By *usybee73Man
7 weeks ago

in the sticks

So did he defend Edwards or not? Simple question

7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Apologies if I've come across as aggressive but certain things bring back some pretty awful memories and that paper is one of them..

By *astandFeistyCouple
7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"So did he defend Edwards or not? Simple question "

Yes he did. This is a different case and that's why he's arguing his corner.

By *usybee73Man
7 weeks ago

in the sticks

"So did he defend Edwards or not? Simple question

Yes he did. This is a different case and that's why he's arguing his corner. "

Maybe he's in the same media groups? Who knows ...

By *otMe66Man
7 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Apologies if I've come across as aggressive but certain things bring back some pretty awful memories and that paper is one of them.."

✌️

By *anJenny 181Couple
7 weeks ago

Preston

19 to 21 Million is the around what Rupert Murdoch is worth, he avoids paying Tax in the UK & Australia

Rupert is far from redtop he is a greedy capitalist who is laughing at you ever time you buy his grubby rag.

19 Billion USD and pays No tax but will print you are a scrounger for claiming benefits & the sheep believe it.

It's quite embarrassing

Really

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"19 to 21 Million is the around what Rupert Murdoch is worth, he avoids paying Tax in the UK & Australia"

You mean that he 'avoids' paying tax by not having any income from those countries, and not living in either of them.

"19 Billion USD and pays No tax"

He does pay tax. He pays it in the US, where he lives.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

"19 to 21 Million is the around what Rupert Murdoch is worth, he avoids paying Tax in the UK & Australia

You mean that he 'avoids' paying tax by not having any income from those countries, and not living in either of them.

19 Billion USD and pays No tax

He does pay tax. He pays it in the US, where he lives."

He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"19 to 21 Million is the around what Rupert Murdoch is worth, he avoids paying Tax in the UK & Australia"

"You mean that he 'avoids' paying tax by not having any income from those countries, and not living in either of them."

"19 Billion USD and pays No tax"

"He does pay tax. He pays it in the US, where he lives."

"He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country."

He doesn't own The Sun. It's owned by News Group Newspapers, and Murdoch receives no income from that company. NGN is owned by News International, and Murdoch receives no income from that company either. NI is owned by News Corporation based in New York, and Murdoch does receive an income from that company, on which he pays taxes, in New York.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

"19 to 21 Million is the around what Rupert Murdoch is worth, he avoids paying Tax in the UK & Australia

19 Billion USD and pays No tax

He does pay tax. He pays it in the US, where he lives.

He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country.

He doesn't own The Sun. It's owned by News Group Newspapers, and Murdoch receives no income from that company. NGN is owned by News International, and Murdoch receives no income from that company either. NI is owned by News Corporation based in New York, and Murdoch does receive an income from that company, on which he pays taxes, in New York."

Got it.

Tax avoidance.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country."

"He doesn't own The Sun. It's owned by News Group Newspapers, and Murdoch receives no income from that company. NGN is owned by News International, and Murdoch receives no income from that company either. NI is owned by News Corporation based in New York, and Murdoch does receive an income from that company, on which he pays taxes, in New York."

"Got it.

Tax avoidance."

In exactly the same way that you are currently avoiding paying tax in France, by your deliberate action of not living there, and not receiving any French income.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

"He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country.

He doesn't own The Sun. It's owned by News Group Newspapers, and Murdoch receives no income from that company. NGN is owned by News International, and Murdoch receives no income from that company either. NI is owned by News Corporation based in New York, and Murdoch does receive an income from that company, on which he pays taxes, in New York.

Got it.

Tax avoidance.

In exactly the same way that you are currently avoiding paying tax in France, by your deliberate action of not living there, and not receiving any French income."

I don't own a company that owns a company that I make money from, that makes money in France.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"He doesn't own The Sun. It's owned by News Group Newspapers, and Murdoch receives no income from that company. NGN is owned by News International, and Murdoch receives no income from that company either. NI is owned by News Corporation based in New York, and Murdoch does receive an income from that company, on which he pays taxes, in New York."

"Got it.

Tax avoidance."

"In exactly the same way that you are currently avoiding paying tax in France, by your deliberate action of not living there, and not receiving any French income."

"I don't own a company that owns a company that I make money from, that makes money in France."

So is it your contention that Rupert Murdoch's position at the top of the pyramid means that he 'owns' all of the bits down below?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

"He owns the Sun newspaper, which is sold in the UK. So he does have income in this country.

Got it.

Tax avoidance.

In exactly the same way that you are currently avoiding paying tax in France, by your deliberate action of not living there, and not receiving any French income.

I don't own a company that owns a company that I make money from, that makes money in France.

So is it your contention that Rupert Murdoch's position at the top of the pyramid means that he 'owns' all of the bits down below?"

Is that not how it works?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Got it.

Tax avoidance."

"In exactly the same way that you are currently avoiding paying tax in France, by your deliberate action of not living there, and not receiving any French income."

"I don't own a company that owns a company that I make money from, that makes money in France."

"So is it your contention that Rupert Murdoch's position at the top of the pyramid means that he 'owns' all of the bits down below?"

"Is that not how it works?"

No it isn't.

But if it were, the poster above would be entirely wrong. News Group Newspapers pays tax in the UK, as does News International. Their accounts give all the details, and are part of public record.

So if Murdoch 'owns' The Sun, he also pays taxes in the UK.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

Got it.

Tax avoidance.

So is it your contention that Rupert Murdoch's position at the top of the pyramid means that he 'owns' all of the bits down below?

Is that not how it works?

No it isn't.

But if it were, the poster above would be entirely wrong. News Group Newspapers pays tax in the UK, as does News International. Their accounts give all the details, and are part of public record.

So if Murdoch 'owns' The Sun, he also pays taxes in the UK."

Interesting. She his companies do now, even though they didn't in the past?

There was a well circulated report in the Economist about his businesses avoiding tax in the 90s.

Genuinely don't know if they're still doing that or not.

By *oxychick35Couple
7 weeks ago

thornaby

fuck the sun after what they did to the good ppl of Liverpool

7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader fuck the sun after what they did to the good ppl of Liverpool "

By *roadShoulderzMan
7 weeks ago

Lerwick

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader fuck the sun after what they did to the good ppl of Liverpool

"

Is it still the case you can't buy The Sun in Liverpool as all newsagents still boycott it?

7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"I wonder if he'll be apologising anytime soon following his comments about The Sun newspaper and a certain newsreader fuck the sun after what they did to the good ppl of Liverpool

Is it still the case you can't buy The Sun in Liverpool as all newsagents still boycott it?

"

It's pretty solid but in the outskirts some do sell it, tbh if I was a sun reader getting off a train at Lime At I wouldn't be waving it about..

I did hear there's parts of Durham that boycott it also but not sure why..

By *roadShoulderzMan
7 weeks ago

Lerwick

It's pretty solid but in the outskirts some do sell it, tbh if I was a sun reader getting off a train at Lime At I wouldn't be waving it about..

I did hear there's parts of Durham that boycott it also but not sure why.."

Thank you for the update. I was last in Liverpool in 2015 and it was pretty universal. My mate tried to buy The Times and struggled a bit.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it for fear of catching something unpleasant....

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 weeks ago

golden fields

I did hear there's parts of Durham that boycott it also but not sure why..

Thank you for the update. I was last in Liverpool in 2015 and it was pretty universal. My mate tried to buy The Times and struggled a bit.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it for fear of catching something unpleasant...."

I had a look at it today out of interest. It's mostly celebrity gossip, any actual news is reported in a similar tone to Daily Mail, Daily Express.

By (user no longer on site)
7 weeks ago

We read somewhere that one of the worst category images involved a young boy aged 9?

Sorry, but fuck Huw Edwards he's a filthy nonce!

Post new Message to Thread