Back to Politics

Angela Rayner gaff

Jump to newest

By *usybee73 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

in the sticks

We are not building on the rolling hills of Suffolk

Fuck me, has she ever been to Suffolk!!

So labour annoyed pensioners, now local councils ... whose next?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ewDevonCouple35Couple
6 weeks ago

Exeter

Got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"We are not building on the rolling hills of Suffolk

So labour annoyed pensioners, now local councils ... whose next?"

Labour are rubbish, they can't even do gaffes properly.

By *aturemaleMan
6 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

There are rolling hills in Suffolk. Constable country.

Angela is not building on them.

Where's the gaffe or gaff? (it works both ways...)

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Have to say, this is a nice feeling to think that this stuff is making whole threads on here, someone thought there were hills in Suffolk. (I've no clue if there are or not).

But it's nicer than the constant sleaze, nepotism, corruption etc that we're used to from the last government.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
6 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Have to say, this is a nice feeling to think that this stuff is making whole threads on here, someone thought there were hills in Suffolk. (I've no clue if there are or not).

But it's nicer than the constant sleaze, nepotism, corruption etc that we're used to from the last government.

"

Oh all of that will be along in due course have no doubt.

It’s not the preserve of any particular party, once they’ve got their feet under the table they’ll have their snouts in the trough

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Oh all of that will be along in due course have no doubt.

It’s not the preserve of any particular party, once they’ve got their feet under the table they’ll have their snouts in the trough "

I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"There are rolling hills in Suffolk. Constable country.

Angela is not building on them.

Where's the gaffe or gaff? (it works both ways...) "

Yes - A brief Google search confirms there are numerous hilly walks and cycle rides in Suffolk. The gaffe appears to be by the OP lol.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"A brief Google search confirms there are numerous hilly walks and cycle rides in Suffolk. The gaffe appears to be by the OP lol."

But are they 'rolling' hills though? Maybe she got that bit wrong. There has to be something in there that we can criticise her for.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"A brief Google search confirms there are numerous hilly walks and cycle rides in Suffolk. The gaffe appears to be by the OP lol.

But are they 'rolling' hills though? Maybe she got that bit wrong. There has to be something in there that we can criticise her for."

What was she wearing? That’s always a good attack route for the media on female politicians

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

We're gonna get Social Housing built across our green and pleasant land whether we like it or not. The policy of interspersing Social Housing in plots of new housing development has been a disaster in my local Market Town. What should be quiet, respectable housing clusters have anti-social behaviour, drug drops, police raids at all hours of day and night. Not sure what the answer is tbh.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"We're gonna get Social Housing built across our green and pleasant land whether we like it or not. The policy of interspersing Social Housing in plots of new housing development has been a disaster in my local Market Town. What should be quiet, respectable housing clusters have anti-social behaviour, drug drops, police raids at all hours of day and night. Not sure what the answer is tbh. "

Agree. It doesn’t work. It is all nice and worthy with an aspiration for integration but what happens in reality is one spends hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy a new build and next door there is social housing. While some of the people in the social housing are very nice you always get that one family of troublemakers causing havoc for their neighbours.

We need to put the social housing in one are of an estate or build two estates. Why can’t there be Council Estates any more?

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"We're gonna get Social Housing built across our green and pleasant land whether we like it or not. The policy of interspersing Social Housing in plots of new housing development has been a disaster in my local Market Town. What should be quiet, respectable housing clusters have anti-social behaviour, drug drops, police raids at all hours of day and night. Not sure what the answer is tbh.

Agree. It doesn’t work. It is all nice and worthy with an aspiration for integration but what happens in reality is one spends hundreds of thousands of pounds to buy a new build and next door there is social housing. While some of the people in the social housing are very nice you always get that one family of troublemakers causing havoc for their neighbours.

We need to put the social housing in one are of an estate or build two estates. Why can’t there be Council Estates any more?"

Council estates are divisive

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"We're gonna get Social Housing built across our green and pleasant land whether we like it or not. The policy of interspersing Social Housing in plots of new housing development has been a disaster in my local Market Town. What should be quiet, respectable housing clusters have anti-social behaviour, drug drops, police raids at all hours of day and night. Not sure what the answer is tbh.

We need to put the social housing in one are of an estate or build two estates. Why can’t there be Council Estates any more?

Council estates are divisive "

I grew up on one. Most people are just fine, just generally poor. But there is always the bad family(s) with the feral kids that terrorise the neighbourhood. You can normally tell by the lack of maintenance on their property (small houses where the garden is overgrown and possibly bits of junk in it). It is a cliche but true. It is that family(s) who have lots of people “hanging around”. Zooming around on motorbikes all hours. Causing fights. Littering. Etc etc

Why should people who have bought a house have them living next door/across the road? Integrating/sprinkling social housing across a privately owned estate does not work! It is a disaster. Either have single allocated areas on new build estates for social housing or build separate estates.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I grew up on one. Most people are just fine, just generally poor. But there is always the bad family(s) with the feral kids that terrorise the neighbourhood. You can normally tell by the lack of maintenance on their property (small houses where the garden is overgrown and possibly bits of junk in it). It is a cliche but true. It is that family(s) who have lots of people “hanging around”. Zooming around on motorbikes all hours. Causing fights. Littering. Etc etc

Why should people who have bought a house have them living next door/across the road? Integrating/sprinkling social housing across a privately owned estate does not work! It is a disaster. Either have single allocated areas on new build estates for social housing or build separate estates."

I also grew up on one and I turned out a right cunt

Trust me though, a Council estate today would be damned, imagine all those luvvies and their faux outrage at the discriminatory nature of such a place.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Why should people who have bought a house have them living next door/across the road? Integrating/sprinkling social housing across a privately owned estate does not work! It is a disaster. Either have single allocated areas on new build estates for social housing or build separate estates."

You have no right to say no because Raynor has said you will not have the right to say no.

Day 26 of the new ways of working and thinking, or being told.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

I don't think you can conflate Council Housing with modern day Social Housing. The former house good working people on low incomes, the latter are all to often a dumping ground for 'problem' individuals - usually with addiction and/or mental health issues. A new build of family homes is no place for Social Housing on many measures - but that's exactly what is required of the developer.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"I don't think you can conflate Council Housing with modern day Social Housing. The former house good working people on low incomes, the latter are all to often a dumping ground for 'problem' individuals - usually with addiction and/or mental health issues. A new build of family homes is no place for Social Housing on many measures - but that's exactly what is required of the developer."

That is a good point. Things have changed.

Bottom line for me, integration does not work for anyone. It causes resentment on both sides and is a boiling pot waiting to spill over.

There is a new build estate in Worthing about 10(ish miles) away from me. I have a friend who paid over £600k for a new build. On the same road there is a bunch of social houses. It is hell. The cliched dumped mattress, feral kids making green spaces no go areas, stench of , loud music and shouting at all hours, comings and goings of dodgy folk, fights, casually letting their dog shit in his front garden, no respect for their neighbours and zero consideration, any polite request to change met with torrent of aggressive abuse etc etc. He is pretty sure it is just one family (but so many hanging around it is hard to tell). His house is probably now unsellable.

Totally wrong. Totally unfair on those who bought their houses.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

"I don't think you can conflate Council Housing with modern day Social Housing. The former house good working people on low incomes, the latter are all to often a dumping ground for 'problem' individuals - usually with addiction and/or mental health issues. A new build of family homes is no place for Social Housing on many measures - but that's exactly what is required of the developer.

Bottom line for me, integration does not work for anyone. It causes resentment on both sides and is a boiling pot waiting to spill over.

There is a new build estate in Worthing about 10(ish miles) away from me. I have a friend who paid over £600k for a new build. On the same road there is a bunch of social houses. It is hell. The cliched dumped mattress, feral kids making green spaces no go areas, stench of , loud music and shouting at all hours, comings and goings of dodgy folk, fights, casually letting their dog shit in his front garden, no respect for their neighbours and zero consideration, any polite request to change met with torrent of aggressive abuse etc etc. He is pretty sure it is just one family (but so many hanging around it is hard to tell). His house is probably now unsellable.

Totally wrong. Totally unfair on those who bought their houses."

In fairness, that kind of behaviour can come from anyone in any value/size house.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"I don't think you can conflate Council Housing with modern day Social Housing. The former house good working people on low incomes, the latter are all to often a dumping ground for 'problem' individuals - usually with addiction and/or mental health issues. A new build of family homes is no place for Social Housing on many measures - but that's exactly what is required of the developer.

In fairness, that kind of behaviour can come from anyone in any value/size house."

Likelihood

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

In fairness, that kind of behaviour can come from anyone in any value/size house."

Sorry Johnny but strongly disagree.

Yes you do get asshats who own homes but when you own something there is generally a desire to keep it nice and for the neighbourhood to be kept nice because it increases the value of your home.

Integrated/sprinkled social housing is a disaster.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

In fairness, that kind of behaviour can come from anyone in any value/size house.

Yes you do get asshats who own homes but when you own something there is generally a desire to keep it nice and for the neighbourhood to be kept nice because it increases the value of your home.

Integrated/sprinkled social housing is a disaster."

Exactly! In a quiet residential area, you might get an 'incident' once a decade. These 'mixed' estates are getting incidents every week at least. I spoke with a chap a few weeks back who'd bought on a new build development. At night, he just waits for the screech of brakes and blue lights. Totally unacceptable.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Integrated/sprinkled social housing is a disaster."

There are some that worked and some that didn't.

I also have anecdotal evidence of the opposite. Where I live, a gentleman who doesn't appear to spend anytime in work, has a large yellow range rover with blacked out windows, who has lots of visitors who pop by in pimped out BMWs to borrow bags of sugar maybe?

Lives in the biggest house on the development, has a swimming pool at the back. And this gentleman terrorises the whole area. He's very aggressive, has big dogs that you wouldn't want to go near. Has big parties, drives up and down at terrifying speeds in his oversized "compensating for something" car.

All the folks in social housing around the corner are suffering from the area being run down by this one guy.

The point is, it may be more likely. But it doesn't mean it always happens, and doesn't always happen one way around.

The above is completely true BTW. That guy is in prison again at the moment. But not for long.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

I also have anecdotal evidence of the opposite. Where I live, a gentleman who doesn't appear to spend anytime in work, has a large yellow range rover with blacked out windows, who has lots of visitors who pop by in pimped out BMWs to borrow bags of sugar maybe?

Lives in the biggest house on the development, has a swimming pool at the back. And this gentleman terrorises the whole area. He's very aggressive, has big dogs that you wouldn't want to go near. Has big parties, drives up and down at terrifying speeds in his oversized "compensating for something" car.

All the folks in social housing around the corner are suffering from the area being run down by this one guy.

The point is, it may be more likely. But it doesn't mean it always happens, and doesn't always happen one way around.

The above is completely true BTW. That guy is in prison again at the moment. But not for long. "

Yeah my strongly disagree was the tempered by my “of course there are asshats who own homes”.

BUT it is far more likely to be an issue with social housing in the manner I wrote above.

This isn’t a “poor people bad wealthier people good” message.

As for your drug dealer chap…what an idiot. Any villain with an ounce of intelligence knows you keep a low profile and never shit on your own doorstep.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

The above is completely true BTW. That guy is in prison again at the moment. But not for long.

Yeah my strongly disagree was the tempered by my “of course there are asshats who own homes”.

BUT it is far more likely to be an issue with social housing in the manner I wrote above.

As for your drug dealer chap…what an idiot. Any villain with an ounce of intelligence knows you keep a low profile and never shit on your own doorstep."

He's especially stupid. Even for a person in his line of work. That's why he's in jail.

I do get your point, I like the idea of not segregating social housing off into some corner of town though. That's what it was like where I grew up and those areas got neglected and run down.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

As for your drug dealer chap…what an idiot. Any villain with an ounce of intelligence knows you keep a low profile and never shit on your own doorstep.

He's especially stupid. Even for a person in his line of work. That's why he's in jail.

I do get your point, I like the idea of not segregating social housing off into some corner of town though. That's what it was like where I grew up and those areas got neglected and run down. "

But what is fair?

Is it really healthy to have £600k houses and social houses next door? The resentment will flow in both directions. Social cohesion when there is such a disparity in wealth is a liberal pipe-dream.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I do get your point, I like the idea of not segregating social housing off into some corner of town though. That's what it was like where I grew up and those areas got neglected and run down.

But what is fair?

Is it really healthy to have £600k houses and social houses next door? The resentment will flow in both directions. Social cohesion when there is such a disparity in wealth is a liberal pipe-dream. "

What I think will happen is the social housing owners such as legal and general will endure increasing complaints that need to pass onto management companies, increasing the cost to maintain and then gradually they will start to off load them, either knocking them down and creating more space for the home owners or selling them off.

The figures are all smoke and mirrors too. They can build 30% social housing on a new estate, more if asked, but that 30% of housing can hold 60 - 70% of the people in that development. Overwhelmed by 30%

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

I do get your point, I like the idea of not segregating social housing off into some corner of town though. That's what it was like where I grew up and those areas got neglected and run down. "

It's a social dilemma isn't it? Why are those houses neglected and run-down? Fridges in the front garden? Cars on bricks? If social integration doesn't work, what is the solution?

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

It's a social dilemma isn't it? Why are those houses neglected and run-down? Fridges in the front garden? Cars on bricks? If social integration doesn't work, what is the solution?"

stop giving houses away to people who are anti social, law breakers or not going to look after it. Adjust the laws to be able to remove them swiftly, if the owners of the social housing do not do this to maintain the area they should be prepared to pay out on any losses home owners may incur because of their tenants.

That should give it a nudge

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

When you get these instances of anti-social beheaviour if the relevant disaster family is in housing association, council or private rental properties go after the owners very hard.

I was involved in a block of flats where a letting agent was placing difficult tenants because the other owners did nothing.

We then took a zero tolerance approach, sent solicitor letters to the agent's owners, threatened bad publicity, and legal action. Problem sorted although one troublesome tenant took out the kitchen and sold it lol.

I appreciate with leasehold properties it's easier, but there are quite tough anti-social beheaviour laws, and owners have a duty of care to their neighbours.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

It's a social dilemma isn't it? Why are those houses neglected and run-down? Fridges in the front garden? Cars on bricks? If social integration doesn't work, what is the solution?"

Honestly, I don't know the solution. Maybe if I did I would get into politics!

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"When you get these instances of anti-social beheaviour if the relevant disaster family is in housing association, council or private rental properties go after the owners very hard.

I was involved in a block of flats where a letting agent was placing difficult tenants because the other owners did nothing.

We then took a zero tolerance approach, sent solicitor letters to the agent's owners, threatened bad publicity, and legal action. Problem sorted although one troublesome tenant took out the kitchen and sold it lol.

I appreciate with leasehold properties it's easier, but there are quite tough anti-social beheaviour laws, and owners have a duty of care to their neighbours."

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Guests in our Own club this weekend EXCITED !!!

Yes. I have, many times, and there are rolling hills. Well. Unless they have flattened them over the last two years?

So. Not sure where the gaff is?

Also. I don't think that she would be house building in Dedham Vale?

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

I actually believe “small crime” starting with anti-social behaviour is the root cause of many of our problems as a society. Getting away with anti-social behaviour is a gateway to more serious crime as it disrespects other people, societal and cultural norms, and the law.

You frequently know when people are “wrong-uns” as they are from that house or that family.

One thing I liked in the Labour manifesto was the commitment to improve community policing. Whether they can pull it off or afford the manpower is another thing. But to tackle anti-social and petty crime we need local bobbies on the beat again. Police who know the local community, talk to people, observe, not whizz past in a car. Police who know little Timmy is a bit wayward and to keep an eye on him and try to stop him getting in with the wrong crowd.

So many bigger issues start as neighbourhood/neighbour disputes. We need to return dealing with noise etc to the Police and not the toothless under resourced council teams.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"I actually believe “small crime” starting with anti-social behaviour is the root cause of many of our problems as a society. Getting away with anti-social behaviour is a gateway to more serious crime as it disrespects other people, societal and cultural norms, and the law.

You frequently know when people are “wrong-uns” as they are from that house or that family.

One thing I liked in the Labour manifesto was the commitment to improve community policing. Whether they can pull it off or afford the manpower is another thing. But to tackle anti-social and petty crime we need local bobbies on the beat again. Police who know the local community, talk to people, observe, not whizz past in a car. Police who know little Timmy is a bit wayward and to keep an eye on him and try to stop him getting in with the wrong crowd.

So many bigger issues start as neighbourhood/neighbour disputes. We need to return dealing with noise etc to the Police and not the toothless under resourced council teams."

people sitting outside their front door drinking beer, instant 12 month prison sentence and add 12 months for every other person sat there with them.

Too Harsh?

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

It's a social dilemma isn't it? Why are those houses neglected and run-down? Fridges in the front garden? Cars on bricks? If social integration doesn't work, what is the solution?

stop giving houses away to people who are anti social, law breakers or not going to look after it. Adjust the laws to be able to remove them swiftly, if the owners of the social housing do not do this to maintain the area they should be prepared to pay out on any losses home owners may incur because of their tenants.

That should give it a nudge "

It's not that simple sadly. If a family or single mother are homeless, the authorities have to find somewhere. Single men are usually packed-off to hostels or left to sleep on the streets. There's often underlying substance abuse, mental health, petty crime and violence in play. It's a mess that nobody in society wants to face-up to.

By *usybee73 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

in the sticks

That should give it a nudge

It's not that simple sadly. If a family or single mother are homeless, the authorities have to find somewhere. Single men are usually packed-off to hostels or left to sleep on the streets. There's often underlying substance abuse, mental health, petty crime and violence in play. It's a mess that nobody in society wants to face-up to."

Isn't that sexist?

Post new Message to Thread