Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

And there off!

Jump to newest

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Labour has introduced means tested winter fuel payments, with 10 million pensioners losing their winter fuel payment, the cut will raise 1.4 billion.

As the pensioners struggle to keep warm this winter 🥶, above inflation pay rises for teachers, NHS workers at 5.5%, armed forces 6%, prison service 5% and police 4.75%.

And the cream goes to junior doctors who have been rewarded 22% for holding the country and previous government to ransom. Well done. 👏.

Despite Reeves constantly reminding us that there is £20 billion short, these pay rises are going to cost a further £9.4 billion.

The question is how long before Reeves comes clean and breaks the labour promise of no tax rises, because they're spending money they haven't got again.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

oh dear.. And They're off

By *hairmanDaoMan
6 weeks ago

London

Same Old Labour.

Particularly galling that these clowns were elected by only 20% of the electorate, which oddly accords to the 20% of the working population that inhabit the public sector.

Obviously an element of the 20% are the usual public sector and trade union grifters who are now getting a deferred payment for their votes. But a large proportion of them will just be gullible and have been misled by Labour’s election lies.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"Labour has introduced means tested winter fuel payments, with 10 million pensioners losing their winter fuel payment, the cut will raise 1.4 billion.

As the pensioners struggle to keep warm this winter 🥶...

"

Hang on Labour has already said pensioners on pension credits and other support will receive the winter fuel allowance as normal.

Many Pensioners where I live are fantastically wealthy with inflation proof final salary linked pensions plus the State Pension and are in no need of the winter fuel allowance.

Also the state pension went up by 10% in 2023 and 8% in 2024. About 20% in total. Don't hard working Junior Doctors deserve similar?

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Labour will appoint a Covid corruption commissioner to look into how public money was spent during the pandemic;

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Labour will appoint a Covid corruption commissioner to look into how public money was spent during the pandemic;

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!"

It'll go nowhere. We may find out the Tories 'did this and that wrong' but that's about it.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

This is just the start. Labour will tax us until the pips squeak. How else to pay for their public sector pigacy? The £20 bil. 'hole' is a lame excuse, they must have known all along - or else they weren't 'shadowing' very effectively. Anyway, now the shortfall is £30 bil. and rising. Run for the hills!!

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

*pr0fligacy

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Guests in our Own club this weekend EXCITED !!!

The current State Pension is £221.20 a week.

You tell me how most pensioners get by on that?

Food. Utilities. Council Tax. Housing costs. Leisure costs. etc.

The winter fuel cap will be increase by another 10% this winter.

Water is expected to rise by at least 20%.

I'll say it again . . .

Shocking announcement from the lying chancellor. It is now well established that she already knew about the black hole before the election and is now pretending that this cut to pensioners is ONLY because she suddenly found it out - it's a gross-lie on her behalf and vis-a-vi the Labour Party.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Labour has introduced means tested winter fuel payments, with 10 million pensioners losing their winter fuel payment, the cut will raise 1.4 billion.

As the pensioners struggle to keep warm this winter 🥶, above inflation pay rises for teachers, NHS workers at 5.5%, armed forces 6%, prison service 5% and police 4.75%.

And the cream goes to junior doctors who have been rewarded 22% for holding the country and previous government to ransom. Well done. 👏.

Despite Reeves constantly reminding us that there is £20 billion short, these pay rises are going to cost a further £9.4 billion.

The question is how long before Reeves comes clean and breaks the labour promise of no tax rises, because they're spending money they haven't got again.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

"

Means testing winter fuel pay, good.

Higher than inflation pay out for nhs staff - still way way way off pre austerity wages. The doctors, ffs! Maybe I should join the bma.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

"The current State Pension is £221.20 a week.

I'll say it again . . .

Shocking announcement from the lying chancellor. It is now well established that she already knew about the black hole before the election and is now pretending that this cut to pensioners is ONLY because she suddenly found it out - it's a gross-lie on her behalf and vis-a-vi the Labour Party."

My mum gets pension credit and that's a gateway benefit. Wish I was as wealthy as she is

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

As the pensioners struggle to keep warm this winter 🥶...

Hang on Labour has already said pensioners on pension credits and other support will receive the winter fuel allowance as normal.

Many Pensioners where I live are fantastically wealthy with inflation proof final salary linked pensions plus the State Pension and are in no need of the winter fuel allowance.

Also the state pension went up by 10% in 2023 and 8% in 2024. About 20% in total. Don't hard working Junior Doctors deserve similar?"

Which will still be 10 million pensioners who won’t receive the payment.

The lowest paid pensioners won’t be impacted the rich pensioners won’t be impacted, it is those poor pensioners who are just out of reach of support that will feel it bite hardest.

It is a shocking move on a base electorate that has already paid into the country through taxes and hard work that are being singled out, who do you reckon is next to be on the block?

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Nobody should live in a society that is founded on a race to the bottom!

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

Yes life is going to be hard as we owe the equivalent of £100,000 per household in the UK. Most of the debt is due to the Tories not Labour.

Servicing the debt costs about £4,000 per annum per household.

Yes real pain ahead for everyone.

By *abioMan
6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I'll say it again . . .

Shocking announcement from the lying chancellor. It is now well established that she already knew about the black hole before the election and is now pretending that this cut to pensioners is ONLY because she suddenly found it out - it's a gross-lie on her behalf and vis-a-vi the Labour Party."

Sort of….

Yes the state pension is £221.20…. But there is also a “minimum income guarantee” for a single pensioner/married couple….

If all there income coming in (from both the state pension AND private pension) is below the minimum guaranteed.. then they are entitled to pension credit

If someone is on pension credit.. they get a discount on the things like council tax, and housing benefits

Actually I don’t mind the winter fuel allowance being means tested…. Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age….

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

" Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age…."

Why should all parents get non-means tested benefits for two children free. Why should other taxpayers pay for it? At least Pensioners have paid it in.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I'll say it again . . .

Shocking announcement from the lying chancellor. It is now well established that she already knew about the black hole before the election and is now pretending that this cut to pensioners is ONLY because she suddenly found it out - it's a gross-lie on her behalf and vis-a-vi the Labour Party.

Sort of….

Yes the state pension is £221.20…. But there is also a “minimum income guarantee” for a single pensioner/married couple….

If all there income coming in (from both the state pension AND private pension) is below the minimum guaranteed.. then they are entitled to pension credit

If someone is on pension credit.. they get a discount on the things like council tax, and housing benefits

Actually I don’t mind the winter fuel allowance being means tested…. Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age…."

For the their long standing service to the country, maybe?

How much tax have they paid in, overall with Income / VAT / NIC / council / stamp duty / and many others.

They should be looked after not rinsed

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Just another thought - I will bet that there are many pensioners 'just about managing' but happy not to claim pension credit, pride is a wonderful thing - I will bet many will claim it now however. The pension credit is worth £75 a week, I believe So @ £3,900 pa.

Well, you can guess the rest.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

" Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age….

Why should all parents get non-means tested benefits for two children free. Why should other taxpayers pay for it? At least Pensioners have paid it in. "

💯 agree with this.

By *ik MMan
6 weeks ago

Lancashire

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Actually I don’t mind the winter fuel allowance being means tested…. Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age….

How much tax have they paid in, overall with Income / VAT / NIC / council / stamp duty / and many others.

They should be looked after not rinsed "

Don’t be silly, they’ve served their purpose and demographically are less likely to support Labour than any other age group. If we can bump a few off when it gets cold then there’s more money for those who’ve never worked to produce more children who’ll never work - but will continue to vote Labour. If this strategy doesn’t succeed I guess there’s always the option to lower the age of voting…

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"Labour will appoint a Covid corruption commissioner to look into how public money was spent during the pandemic;

It'll go nowhere. We may find out the Tories 'did this and that wrong' but that's about it. "

Yep. Makes you sick. Some people got very rich off the back of the pandemic. Some of them were dodgy. Would be nice to think they got done for it!

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Don’t be silly, they’ve served their purpose and demographically are less likely to support Labour than any other age group. If we can bump a few off when it gets cold then there’s more money for those who’ve never worked to produce more children who’ll never work - but will continue to vote Labour. If this strategy doesn’t succeed I guess there’s always the option to lower the age of voting…"

And setting themselves up for losing the next election.

By *illt400Man
6 weeks ago

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 29/07/24 18:22:26]

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

" Why should someone get 200/300 pounds a year, regardless of circumstances, just for being over pension age….

Why should all parents get non-means tested benefits for two children free. Why should other taxpayers pay for it? At least Pensioners have paid it in. "

Not true. If you earn over £60k you lose all child benefit with it being gradually phased out between £50k to £60k.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

It'll go nowhere. We may find out the Tories 'did this and that wrong' but that's about it.

Yep. Makes you sick. Some people got very rich off the back of the pandemic. Some of them were dodgy. Would be nice to think they got done for it!"

Maybe. However, an enquiry is a complete waste of money, that we apparently don't have.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

I'm still getting used to grown ups being in charge.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Just another thought - I will bet that there are many pensioners 'just about managing' but happy not to claim pension credit, pride is a wonderful thing - I will bet many will claim it now however. The pension credit is worth £75 a week, I believe So @ £3,900 pa.

Well, you can guess the rest. "

Pension credit also has a disability element if anyone gets dla, pip, aa.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Why should all parents get non-means tested benefits for two children free. Why should other taxpayers pay for it? At least Pensioners have paid it in.

Not true. If you earn over £60k you lose all child benefit with it being gradually phased out between £50k to £60k."

That's the wrong info according to Martin Lewis.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

Why two children? In theory you can get child benefit for ten children.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Not true. If you earn over £60k you lose all child benefit with it being gradually phased out between £50k to £60k.

That's the wrong info according to Martin Lewis. "

Really? I better sack my accountant then!

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Not true. If you earn over £60k you lose all child benefit with it being gradually phased out between £50k to £60k."

Not true.

If you (or your partner) earn more than £60,000 a year, you will still get the full amount of Child Benefit, but you will have to pay some of it back. This is known as the 'high income Child Benefit tax charge'. The charge is tapered, so the more you earn over £60,000, the more you need to pay back.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Yep. Makes you sick. Some people got very rich off the back of the pandemic. Some of them were dodgy. Would be nice to think they got done for it!

Maybe. However, an enquiry is a complete waste of money, that we apparently don't have. "

They don’t need to have the money, it is worth getting into debt to confirm the obvious.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Maybe. However, an enquiry is a complete waste of money, that we apparently don't have. "

Hmmm it doesn’t say inquiry it says appoint a Commissioner. Not sure what that means in practice though!

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge"

The very first line reads:

You may have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge if you or your partner have an individual income that’s over £60,000 

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Not true.

If you (or your partner) earn more than £60,000 a year, you will still get the full amount of Child Benefit, but you will have to pay some of it back. This is known as the 'high income Child Benefit tax charge'. The charge is tapered, so the more you earn over £60,000, the more you need to pay back."

Apologies it does start from £60k

Still means not everyone gets it (or gets to keep it).

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

You may have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge if you or your partner have an individual income that’s over £60,000 "

Yeah my mistake

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Maybe. However, an enquiry is a complete waste of money, that we apparently don't have.

Hmmm it doesn’t say inquiry it says appoint a Commissioner. Not sure what that means in practice though!"

I assumed 'to look into corruption' meant an enquiry. Even if it doesn’t, it'll be a waste of money if there's no recourse, which there won't be.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Not true.

If you (or your partner) earn more than £60,000 a year, you will still get the full amount of Child Benefit, but you will have to pay some of it back. This is known as the 'high income Child Benefit tax charge'. The charge is tapered, so the more you earn over £60,000, the more you need to pay back.

Still means not everyone gets it (or gets to keep it)."

That is correct, but not that many people earn over 80k, which means the vast majority get it.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Not true.

Still means not everyone gets it (or gets to keep it)."

Not really, it then becomes a trade off to tax . . .

The more you earn over £60,000, the higher the tax. As long as your income doesn't go above £80,000 each year, it's still worth claiming. If your income goes above £80,000 the extra you pay in tax will cancel out what you get in Child Benefit.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

You may have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge if you or your partner have an individual income that’s over £60,000 

Yeah my mistake"

Aha I know why I thought from £50k because that’s what it used to be…

- over £60,000 for the tax year 2024 to 2025

- over £50,000 for tax years 2012 to 2013 up to tax year 2023 to 2024

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Not true.

The more you earn over £60,000, the higher the tax. As long as your income doesn't go above £80,000 each year, it's still worth claiming. If your income goes above £80,000 the extra you pay in tax will cancel out what you get in Child Benefit."

Yeah but not everyone gets it is still factually correct if you have to pay it back.

Long time since I only earned £80k (or previously £60k as it only changed this year) so can’t really remember.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Not true.

The more you earn over £60,000, the higher the tax. As long as your income doesn't go above £80,000 each year, it's still worth claiming. If your income goes above £80,000 the extra you pay in tax will cancel out what you get in Child Benefit.

Yeah but not everyone gets it is still factually correct if you have to pay it back.

Long time since I only earned £80k (or previously £60k as it only changed this year) so can’t really remember."

The latest government data (published July 2024) reveals that the mean average UK weekly wage (including bonuses) across all industry sectors (in England and Wales) is £689 gross (that's the equivalent to an annual pre-tax salary of £35,828.

So most will.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Not true.

Long time since I only earned £80k (or previously £60k as it only changed this year) so can’t really remember.

The latest government data (published July 2024) reveals that the mean average UK weekly wage (including bonuses) across all industry sectors (in England and Wales) is £689 gross (that's the equivalent to an annual pre-tax salary of £35,828.

So most will."

Agreed but most still isn’t all. It is basically means tested albeit with a high threshold.

Not the same but if you earn over £100k (to £123k I think) you gradually lose/pay back the tax free personal allowance.

I think all these “give with one hand, claw back with another” stealthy “taxes” need abolishing. Simplify our tax system.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Means test child benefit - period.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
6 weeks ago

North West

Children are the future, we need them to grow up and work and pay tax to pay for our pensions in future. Pensioners have already paid in and are drawing out. Many (not all, obviously) pensioners are well off and are sitting on huge wealth in the form of property.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 29/07/24 19:15:14]

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Children are the future, we need them to grow up and work and pay tax to pay for our pensions in future. Pensioners have already paid in and are drawing out. Many (not all, obviously) pensioners are well off and are sitting on huge wealth in the form of property. "

All' pensioners are most definitely not well off.

Property. Only if they draw out the equity in it or sell it. And most would like to pass it on as an inheritance.

*edit*

By *abioMan
6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

They should be looked after not rinsed "

Again, the poorest are not having their winter fuel allowance taken away……

So let me pick a figure out of thin air…. Let’s say a person is living on 30000 per year, or 50,000… or 100,000….. or 250,000

Are you saying they should all get the extra 200/300 pounds per year regardless of circumstances?

By *eroy1000Man
6 weeks ago

milton keynes

"

As I understand it from the BBC any pensioner who is not entitled to pension credit or other means tested benefits will loose the winter fuel payments. If correct then a person or couple that put money into a private pension to try to plan for the future, may find they go just over the limit for pension credits. The private pension may be small but just enough to tip them over. This means they don't get the credits and now don't get the winter fuel payments either. Sounds like unless you have a great pension, you will now be better off not having one so you get credits and fuel allowance.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

So let me pick a figure out of thin air…. Let’s say a person is living on 30000 per year, or 50,000… or 100,000….. or 250,000

Are you saying they should all get the extra 200/300 pounds per year regardless of circumstances? "

Like child benefit - should taper.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

As I understand it from the BBC any pensioner who is not entitled to pension credit or other means tested benefits will loose the winter fuel payments. If correct then a person or couple that put money into a private pension to try to plan for the future, may find they go just over the limit for pension credits. The private pension may be small but just enough to tip them over. This means they don't get the credits and now don't get the winter fuel payments either. Sounds like unless you have a great pension, you will now be better off not having one so you get credits and fuel allowance."

And she knows this - Cynical in the least - she knows that she will have to cave to the greater amount for the doctors and as the pensioers are not 'tardy' Labour voters she really doesn't give a fig.

But this will come back at Labour at the next election for sure.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Are you saying they should all get the extra 200/300 pounds per year regardless of circumstances? "

Why are you plucking figures when they've already put a figure on it. A measly 12 fucking grand.

Are you saying that someone getting 12 grand isn't one of the 'poorest'?

By *abioMan
6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Are you saying they should all get the extra 200/300 pounds per year regardless of circumstances?

Like child benefit - should taper. "

Taper is just a posh word for means testing…

So again… at what level do you “taper”?

By *eroy1000Man
6 weeks ago

milton keynes

Just read about the cancelled building projects. How long ago was it the Labour leadership were saying they will get Britain building again.

By *abioMan
6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Why are you plucking figures when they've already put a figure on it. A measly 12 fucking grand.

Are you saying that someone getting 12 grand isn't one of the 'poorest'?"

A) it is not the same for a single pensioner as it is for a couple…. The couples threshold is much higher

B) if you are below that you are already getting support for council tax and housing benefits and other things

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Like child benefit - should taper.

Taper is just a posh word for means testing…

So again… at what level do you “taper”? "

My point is. I did write this above btw, If you are going to scrap the fuel allowance, scrap child benefit too.

By *eroy1000Man
6 weeks ago

milton keynes

As I understand it from the BBC any pensioner who is not entitled to pension credit or other means tested benefits will loose the winter fuel payments. If correct then a person or couple that put money into a private pension to try to plan for the future, may find they go just over the limit for pension credits. The private pension may be small but just enough to tip them over. This means they don't get the credits and now don't get the winter fuel payments either. Sounds like unless you have a great pension, you will now be better off not having one so you get credits and fuel allowance.

And she knows this - Cynical in the least - she knows that she will have to cave to the greater amount for the doctors and as the pensioers are not 'tardy' Labour voters she really doesn't give a fig.

But this will come back at Labour at the next election for sure."

Indeed it is. Imagine saving for a private pension all your working life and the result is it takes you fractionally over the limit to claim credits. If that wasn't bad enough now it means you can't get the fuel allowance.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

We should by now have recognised index of poverty across society. Anything that falls below this threshold should receive the relevant top up to income.

Also note my point above about pension credit. There will be an unintended consequence from this for Labour. First it will be monetary, then loss of trust in pensioners.

By *hairmanDaoMan
6 weeks ago

London

"We should by now have recognised index of poverty across society. Anything that falls below this threshold should receive the relevant top up to income.

Also note my point above about pension credit. There will be an unintended consequence from this for Labour. First it will be monetary, then loss of trust in pensioners. "

Presumably Labour’s calculation is that pensioners don’t vote Labour anyway so who cares. Public sector workers do so here’s some pork.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"We should by now have recognised index of poverty across society. Anything that falls below this threshold should receive the relevant top up to income.

Also note my point above about pension credit. There will be an unintended consequence from this for Labour. First it will be monetary, then loss of trust in pensioners.

Presumably Labour’s calculation is that pensioners don’t vote Labour anyway so who cares. Public sector workers do so here’s some pork."

Said this above and it will come back at them at the next election.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I really struggle with the left wing mentality of taking money off people who have tried in life, but are happy to throw money at people who can't be arsed.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
6 weeks ago

Central

There's feeling hard done to, in a race to the bottom, because someone else gets something that maybe you've not earned, plus the state of the UK financial position that wasn't discussed much before the election.

Many public sector staff faced years of pay freezes and wage decline, that millions didn't. Likewise many working age benefit recipients.

Our finances aren't in the best shape. It makes some sense to restrict for the better off, who've done relatively well over the last 14 years, compared with those who haven't done so well.

We should increase our tax intake. Public services are in atrocious condition, after £billions ravaged from budgets. These are essential for society to operate safely for all and as a bedrock for the country's wellbeing, including of the economy.

We need to end our culture of envy. And rebuild our society so that it's fair and best supports those in greatest need. Culture wars have no winners and energy needs to be channelled to build a cohesive and healthier society again. Whilst the rabid frothing lot struggle amongst the spoils of the conservative party,, we should recognise what has been so corrosive and corrupt about them and to fix our red lines where they should be. Let their shit stick with them and cast loose, clear of them.

We need to make the next 5 years to be healthier. It's on us, as well as politicians.

By *igNick1381Man
6 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

It'll go nowhere. We may find out the Tories 'did this and that wrong' but that's about it. "

This, and at the cost of more money too

All pointless sabre rattling

Keeps people happy though, help's them but into the whole charade

By *ostindreamsMan
6 weeks ago

London

The whole thing boils down to the root cause once again - Ageing population. Something's got to give. You either cut down on welfare funding or tax the shit out of everyone. Labour seems to be going with the latter.

This will make the ageing population problem even worse as actual working people will move to other countries making the ratio of working people to dependents further lower.

6 weeks ago

North West

I'll use my Dad as an example here. He's no longer going to get Winter Fuel payments because he doesn't qualify for means tested benefits. However, he still has a large mortgage, age 85, and hardly any money in the bank. He has other debts remaining. He doesn't pay council tax anymore due to a diagnosis of dementia. He chose, when of sound mind, to buy a 3 bed semi on a mortgage (with commensurate cost to run). He chose to spend money he didn't have and run up debt. But he has a decent enough private pension which SHOULD be adequate for a single person. His really crap decision making when competent mean he actually has very little left to live on now he's elderly and mentally infirm and now he loses the £300 fuel thingy.

Should people like him, asset poor and cash poor but due to their own actions, receive the fuel allowance? Or should the fact he has a decent occupational pension for a single person preclude him? All I know is that it will be down to me to try and balance his budgets, at a time when we have to keep his house very warm, due to his lack of body condition nowadays. He's still wearing a sweater and three layers in the current weather.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

"I really struggle with the left wing mentality of taking money off people who have tried in life, but are happy to throw money at people who can't be arsed.

"

That's socialism for you. "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs". Fine in principle, but it doesn't work. It discourages entrepreneurs and endeavour; punishes success. After all, why bother if you can live off the state?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
6 weeks ago

Hastings

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Are you saying that someone getting 12 grand isn't one of the 'poorest'?"

12k so paying in, In come tax if they don't raise the bace rate up even more will have to pay in and more complicated lots will need to do a self assessment.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I'll use my Dad as an example here. He's no longer going to get Winter Fuel payments because he doesn't qualify for means tested benefits. However, he still has a large mortgage, age 85, and hardly any money in the bank. He has other debts remaining. He doesn't pay council tax anymore due to a diagnosis of dementia. He chose, when of sound mind, to buy a 3 bed semi on a mortgage (with commensurate cost to run). He chose to spend money he didn't have and run up debt. But he has a decent enough private pension which SHOULD be adequate for a single person. His really crap decision making when competent mean he actually has very little left to live on now he's elderly and mentally infirm and now he loses the £300 fuel thingy.

Should people like him, asset poor and cash poor but due to their own actions, receive the fuel allowance? Or should the fact he has a decent occupational pension for a single person preclude him? All I know is that it will be down to me to try and balance his budgets, at a time when we have to keep his house very warm, due to his lack of body condition nowadays. He's still wearing a sweater and three layers in the current weather. "

Look into attendance allowance/pip he might get that for dementia. Look into water bills, does depend on the region. Don't forget council tax for the dementia and single person discounts. If he gets any of these he may then get pension credit.

6 weeks ago

North West

"I'll use my Dad as an example here. He's no longer going to get Winter Fuel payments because he doesn't qualify for means tested benefits. However, he still has a large mortgage, age 85, and hardly any money in the bank. He has other debts remaining. He doesn't pay council tax anymore due to a diagnosis of dementia. He chose, when of sound mind, to buy a 3 bed semi on a mortgage (with commensurate cost to run). He chose to spend money he didn't have and run up debt. But he has a decent enough private pension which SHOULD be adequate for a single person. His really crap decision making when competent mean he actually has very little left to live on now he's elderly and mentally infirm and now he loses the £300 fuel thingy.

Should people like him, asset poor and cash poor but due to their own actions, receive the fuel allowance? Or should the fact he has a decent occupational pension for a single person preclude him? All I know is that it will be down to me to try and balance his budgets, at a time when we have to keep his house very warm, due to his lack of body condition nowadays. He's still wearing a sweater and three layers in the current weather.

Look into attendance allowance/pip he might get that for dementia. Look into water bills, does depend on the region. Don't forget council tax for the dementia and single person discounts. If he gets any of these he may then get pension credit."

He gets AA. Council tax discounted entirely. But still doesn't qualify for anything means tested because of his income.

To honest, it's his own stupid fault (his financial situation, not the dementia!). We drag him ever onwards. I end up subbing him, paying for repairs etc.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"I really struggle with the left wing mentality of taking money off people who have tried in life, but are happy to throw money at people who can't be arsed.

That's socialism for you. "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs". Fine in principle, but it doesn't work. It discourages entrepreneurs and endeavour; punishes success. After all, why bother if you can live off the state?"

This move on pensioners feels like Robin Hood gone rogue

By *ortyairCouple
6 weeks ago

Wallasey

Look into attendance allowance/pip he might get that for dementia. Look into water bills, does depend on the region. Don't forget council tax for the dementia and single person discounts. If he gets any of these he may then get pension credit."

Don't think he will get PIP, you need to have this already and cannot claim this after you have reached retirement age. The Attendance Allowance could be the way to go.

Mrs x

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

"Just read about the cancelled building projects. How long ago was it the Labour leadership were saying they will get Britain building again. "

Agreed. But all these projects go way over budget. Hs2 is an example

In Plymouth our Labour run councils city centre make over was initially set to cost £4.2M, current estimate are £12.8m to complete it

Labours PFI for the NHS cost £80bn and delivered £13bn investment

And they are finger pointing at the tories.

6 weeks ago

North West

Look into attendance allowance/pip he might get that for dementia. Look into water bills, does depend on the region. Don't forget council tax for the dementia and single person discounts. If he gets any of these he may then get pension credit.Don't think he will get PIP, you need to have this already and cannot claim this after you have reached retirement age. The Attendance Allowance could be the way to go.

Mrs x"

He's already getting AA, it's paying towards his share of home care. That's leaving him massively out of pocket (care). One cannot make a new PIP claim if you are over state pension age. It didn't even exist before he attained pension age.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I'll say it again . . .

Sort of….

Are you saying that someone getting 12 grand isn't one of the 'poorest'?

A) it is not the same for a single pensioner as it is for a couple…. The couples threshold is much higher

B) if you are below that you are already getting support for council tax and housing benefits and other things "

We're talking about people above the threshold.

I asked a question, would you answer?

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

Look into attendance allowance/pip he might get that for dementia. Look into water bills, does depend on the region. Don't forget council tax for the dementia and single person discounts. If he gets any of these he may then get pension credit.Don't think he will get PIP, you need to have this already and cannot claim this after you have reached retirement age. The Attendance Allowance could be the way to go.

Mrs x

He's already getting AA, it's paying towards his share of home care. That's leaving him massively out of pocket (care). One cannot make a new PIP claim if you are over state pension age. It didn't even exist before he attained pension age. "

One of its predecessors would have done, dla, invalidity benefit or something else.

By *JB1954Man
6 weeks ago

Reading

I am a pensioner. Now I have private and work pensions. These are being taxed at 20% already. Since this April tax year . My government pension went above the single persons earnings allowance. So now I am also paying another £17 each month in more tax.

This will increase each year until single person's allowance is increased again ( after 2027 ? ) .A lot of pensioners will be taxed in next couple of years due to this happening. Yes do get discount for council tax. But no other benefit's. So today worse off again.

As other posters have said. Bills for everything go up at what percentage allowed each year .

6 weeks ago

North West

Mrs x

He's already getting AA, it's paying towards his share of home care. That's leaving him massively out of pocket (care). One cannot make a new PIP claim if you are over state pension age. It didn't even exist before he attained pension age.

One of its predecessors would have done, dla, invalidity benefit or something else."

He wasn't incapacitated/disabled/with dementia until after all of those. So ineligible by all different measures.

He doesn't qualify for pension credit, we have been through the various assessments when he needed a new boiler last year. He was without heating and hot water from September to November because he didn't qualify for any support but had less than money. Eventually sorted but only after writing to all and sundry. And no, I couldn't afford to buy him a new boiler.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

Mrs x

One of its predecessors would have done, dla, invalidity benefit or something else.

He wasn't incapacitated/disabled/with dementia until after all of those. So ineligible by all different measures.

He doesn't qualify for pension credit, we have been through the various assessments when he needed a new boiler last year. He was without heating and hot water from September to November because he didn't qualify for any support but had less than money. Eventually sorted but only after writing to all and sundry. And no, I couldn't afford to buy him a new boiler. "

Likewise with my dad, who has recently been awarded aa.

By *ill69888Couple
6 weeks ago

cheltenham

and what will that achieve other than costing the taxpayer even more money?

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

That's socialism for you. "From each according to his means, to each according to his needs". Fine in principle, but it doesn't work. It discourages entrepreneurs and endeavour; punishes success. After all, why bother if you can live off the state?

This move on pensioners feels like Robin Hood gone rogue "

Indeed, and Labour think anybody with more than a tenner in their bank is the Sheriff of Nottingham.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!and what will that achieve other than costing the taxpayer even more money?"

Hopefully less than the partygate enquiry, which reportedly cost the taxpayer £460,000

Or Boris Johnson’s aborted garden bridge project - £53 million, or his Irish Sea tunnel feasibility study - £900,000

Or labours PFI for the nhs , which cost £80bn and delivered £13bn investment

£800 million wasted on Rwanda scheme

£70bn over budget on hs2

£2bn a year spent on emergency housing of the homeless beacuse red and blue sold over 2.3 million council houses and flats at a discount

£100bn annual hit on the economy due to Brexit with associated tax loss

£90bn+ a year interest on the national debt, which Labour doubled, then the tories trebled.

It goes on and on

By *arkus1812Man
6 weeks ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Time to encompass the Black economy to boost my pension.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

This move on pensioners feels like Robin Hood gone rogue

Indeed, and Labour think anybody with more than a tenner in their bank is the Sheriff of Nottingham."

If they are fleecing pensioners in their first month what are the rest of us in for. Businesses outside of ltd structure in for a kicking.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

£20bn spent on Iraq and Afghan wars started by Labour and now pensioners have to pay for it.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!and what will that achieve other than costing the taxpayer even more money?"

Because there is slither of a chance those crooks might just be caught and and even smaller chance of recouping some of the money.

I’d start with Matt Hancock’s pub landlord mate who was awarded £20m contract to supply glass test tubes.

Or do we simply let them all get away with it?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!and what will that achieve other than costing the taxpayer even more money?

Because there is slither of a chance those crooks might just be caught and and even smaller chance of recouping some of the money.

I’d start with Matt Hancock’s pub landlord mate who was awarded £20m contract to supply glass test tubes.

Or do we simply let them all get away with it?"

Yes go for it

There were more Labour MPs jailed for expenses fraud than any other party. Now let the tories have it. Baroness Mone - £203million still not repaid.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

I doubt many will care but Labour have confirmed that VAT on private school fees will start in January. In the middle of a school year! Maximum disruption. Completely stitching up parents who are on the cusp of affordability but who now have only a few weeks to sort out a state school place. Why not wait to introduce from next September. Tell me this isn’t punitive!

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"£20bn spent on Iraq and Afghan wars started by Labour and now pensioners have to pay for it. "

They are also contributing to the 22% pay rise for doctors they can’t get appointments with.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

GOOD! I hope this has teeth!and what will that achieve other than costing the taxpayer even more money?

Hopefully less than the partygate enquiry, which reportedly cost the taxpayer £460,000

Or Boris Johnson’s aborted garden bridge project - £53 million, or his Irish Sea tunnel feasibility study - £900,000

Or labours PFI for the nhs , which cost £80bn and delivered £13bn investment

£800 million wasted on Rwanda scheme

£70bn over budget on hs2

£2bn a year spent on emergency housing of the homeless beacuse red and blue sold over 2.3 million council houses and flats at a discount

£100bn annual hit on the economy due to Brexit with associated tax loss

£90bn+ a year interest on the national debt, which Labour doubled, then the tories trebled.

It goes on and on "

There’s another big elephant in this room of govt spending/debt…Covid.

By *hairmanDaoMan
6 weeks ago

London

"I doubt many will care but Labour have confirmed that VAT on private school fees will start in January. In the middle of a school year! Maximum disruption. Completely stitching up parents who are on the cusp of affordability but who now have only a few weeks to sort out a state school place. Why not wait to introduce from next September. Tell me this isn’t punitive!"

Socialism is always great when it’s someone else’s money that they are spending.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

"£20bn spent on Iraq and Afghan wars started by Labour and now pensioners have to pay for it.

They are also contributing to the 22% pay rise for doctors they can’t get appointments with.

"

Which is a pity, because this Winter without heating the elderly will be prone to many ailments.

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"I doubt many will care but Labour have confirmed that VAT on private school fees will start in January. In the middle of a school year! Maximum disruption. Completely stitching up parents who are on the cusp of affordability but who now have only a few weeks to sort out a state school place. Why not wait to introduce from next September. Tell me this isn’t punitive!

Socialism is always great when it’s someone else’s money that they are spending."

This will backfire. It will end up raising very little or be a net loss in the end.

Super rich will absorb.

Poorer kids will lose access as bursaries and scholarships are scaled back or phased out.

Those who currently can just barely afford fees will likely look to move to the best state schools, pushing up house prices in catchment areas pushing out poorer people to create middle class enclaves.

And the often unknown thing is that there is a cohort of kids in boarding schools who are the children of diplomats or military personnel. Guess who pays their fees? The tax payer! And now they too will be paying more (except it is wooden dollars with money just flowing from one govt dept to another).

By *ostindreamsMan
6 weeks ago

London

"£20bn spent on Iraq and Afghan wars started by Labour and now pensioners have to pay for it.

Which is a pity, because this Winter without heating the elderly will be prone to many ailments. "

I guess that's their solution to the ageing population problem.

By (user no longer on site)
6 weeks ago

"I doubt many will care but Labour have confirmed that VAT on private school fees will start in January. In the middle of a school year! Maximum disruption. Completely stitching up parents who are on the cusp of affordability but who now have only a few weeks to sort out a state school place. Why not wait to introduce from next September. Tell me this isn’t punitive!

Socialism is always great when it’s someone else’s money that they are spending.

This will backfire. It will end up raising very little or be a net loss in the end.

Super rich will absorb.

Poorer kids will lose access as bursaries and scholarships are scaled back or phased out.

Those who currently can just barely afford fees will likely look to move to the best state schools, pushing up house prices in catchment areas pushing out poorer people to create middle class enclaves.

And the often unknown thing is that there is a cohort of kids in boarding schools who are the children of diplomats or military personnel. Guess who pays their fees? The tax payer! And now they too will be paying more (except it is wooden dollars with money just flowing from one govt dept to another)."

as much as I agree with the policy (as covered) I don't agree with it being January. That feels odd.

By *ik MMan
6 weeks ago

Lancashire

Super rich will absorb.

And the often unknown thing is that there is a cohort of kids in boarding schools who are the children of diplomats or military personnel. Guess who pays their fees? The tax payer! And now they too will be paying more (except it is wooden dollars with money just flowing from one govt dept to another)."

Those who can afford to are now paying up front for the entirety of their children’s education, thus circumventing what’s on the horizon

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

Which is a pity, because this Winter without heating the elderly will be prone to many ailments.

I guess that's their solution to the ageing population problem. "

It's a Boomer cull!!!!!!!!!!!!

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Ho no look what we found, look at what they have done.

We now have to make the tough choices

It is the tories fault.

Blah blah

I knew this was going to happen

Same old shit

So glad I never voted for this

I cannot believe that I believe Jeremy Hunt, as I knew about the black hole before the election and I am just an everyday guy, so if Rachel Reeves is telling us she just found this out she is a fibber, who doesn't interview well.

I had no hope that labour would be any better than the tories none.

I feel like I am in a political wilderness with no one to vote for.

By *azzler2Man
6 weeks ago

halifax

Knock 1% off the money we spend on foreign aid we give away every year plus if we have such a big black hole why give 48 mil to try and keep illegals immigrants at home what happen to looking after your own first

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"This will backfire. It will end up raising very little or be a net loss in the end.

Super rich will absorb.

it won't make a jot of difference to the public school industry. subsidising public schools is costing this country a fortune and has to stop really. it would be better to link VAT to the amount of scholarships that these schools provide. if a school meets the threshold then they pay no VAT. if they meet 50% of the threshold then they pay 75% of the vat or similar idea.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

"This will backfire. It will end up raising very little or be a net loss in the end.

Super rich will absorb.

And the often unknown thing is that there is a cohort of kids in boarding schools who are the children of diplomats or military personnel. Guess who pays their fees? The tax payer! And now they too will be paying more (except it is wooden dollars with money just flowing from one govt dept to another).

it won't make a jot of difference to the public school industry. subsidising public schools is costing this country a fortune and has to stop really. it would be better to link VAT to the amount of scholarships that these schools provide. if a school meets the threshold then they pay no VAT. if they meet 50% of the threshold then they pay 75% of the vat or similar idea."

Does it cost the country a fortune though? Every kid in private school is one less for the government to pay for in state schools. Private schools pay taxes through buildings, salaries etc. I don't think their staff are moonlighting either - like in private medicine.

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

the overwhelming percentage of public school places are the overseas super rich. scholarships represent less than 2% of places. since the milenium fees have skyrocketed but no one has been put off and public schools have thrived. they don't need the taxpayer subsidy of charitable status to continue thriving.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"the overwhelming percentage of public school places are the overseas super rich. scholarships represent less than 2% of places. since the milenium fees have skyrocketed but no one has been put off and public schools have thrived. they don't need the taxpayer subsidy of charitable status to continue thriving."

What % is 'overwhelming'?

6 weeks ago

"Ho no look what we found, look at what they have done.

It is the tories fault.

Blah blah

Same old shit

I cannot believe that I believe Jeremy Hunt, as I knew about the black hole before the election and I am just an everyday guy, so if Rachel Reeves is telling us she just found this out she is a fibber, who doesn't interview well.

"

it sounds as if the the black hole is bigger than was first thought by IFS and ONS.

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"it sounds as if the the black hole is bigger than was first thought by IFS and ONS. "

we all new the previous government had created a black hole. but we, the IFS nor the ONS and others, could accurately calculate the size of it while the previous government was hiding the data from outside scrutiny.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

"the overwhelming percentage of public school places are the overseas super rich. scholarships represent less than 2% of places. since the milenium fees have skyrocketed but no one has been put off and public schools have thrived. they don't need the taxpayer subsidy of charitable status to continue thriving."

Where do you get that % from? The proportion of overseas parents in UK private schools is less than 5% and the majority of those are British diplomats, military etc on foreign postings.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"it sounds as if the the black hole is bigger than was first thought by IFS and ONS.

we all new the previous government had created a black hole. but we, the IFS nor the ONS and others, could accurately calculate the size of it while the previous government was hiding the data from outside scrutiny."

All this bullshit about the IFS not knowing, they reported months back that we'd need to find £35b.

You've fallen for 'it's all the Tories fault' hook, line and sinker.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

"it sounds as if the the black hole is bigger than was first thought by IFS and ONS.

we all new the previous government had created a black hole. but we, the IFS nor the ONS and others, could accurately calculate the size of it while the previous government was hiding the data from outside scrutiny."

And add £1.7trn added to the national debt over last 14 years. Makes these £20bn here and there black holes insignificant

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

"the overwhelming percentage of public school places are the overseas super rich. scholarships represent less than 2% of places. since the milenium fees have skyrocketed but no one has been put off and public schools have thrived. they don't need the taxpayer subsidy of charitable status to continue thriving.

Where do you get that % from? The proportion of overseas parents in UK private schools is less than 5% and the majority of those are British diplomats, military etc on foreign postings."

That we are paying for

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/10/uk-spends-13m-on-private-schooling-for-diplomats-children

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"And add £1.7trn added to the national debt over last 14 years. Makes these £20bn here and there black holes insignificant "

= conservative party's monumental weaponised incompetence

6 weeks ago

we all new the previous government had created a black hole. but we, the IFS nor the ONS and others, could accurately calculate the size of it while the previous government was hiding the data from outside scrutiny.

All this bullshit about the IFS not knowing, they reported months back that we'd need to find £35b.

You've fallen for 'it's all the Tories fault' hook, line and sinker. "

it can be both. Part of the hole was known about. Part of it not.

“Rachel Reeves is within her rights to feel somewhat aggrieved. It was always clear and obvious that the spending plans she inherited were incompatible with Labour’s ambitions for public services, and that more cash would be required eventually. But the extent of the in-year funding pressures does genuinely appear to be greater than could be discerned from the outside, which only adds to the scale of the problem."

[Some stuff was known]

"Nonetheless, some of the specifics are indeed shocking, and raise some difficult questions for the last government. If the scale of these overspends and spending pressures was apparent in the spring – and in lots of cases, there’s no reason to suppose otherwise – then it is hard to understand why they weren’t made clear or dealt with in the Spring Budget. Jeremy Hunt’s £10 billion cut to national insurance looks ever less defensible. On asylum costs, the decision to effectively stop processing claimants, and to budget virtually nothing for the resultant costs of housing them, looks like very poor policy making. The new Chancellor is right to be cross."

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Every child in private school already saves the state £8k per year.

Private schools act charitably by providing scholarships and means tested bursaries. If you remove charity status or the benefits of being charities, then over time they will cease to operate charitably.

Have said this many times (and see someone else saying it) why not set a threshold to increase charitable activity. If the school meets it they retain charity status and VAT exemption, if not then they are a business and can start acting like a business.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

"the overwhelming percentage of public school places are the overseas super rich. scholarships represent less than 2% of places. since the milenium fees have skyrocketed but no one has been put off and public schools have thrived. they don't need the taxpayer subsidy of charitable status to continue thriving.

Where do you get that % from? The proportion of overseas parents in UK private schools is less than 5% and the majority of those are British diplomats, military etc on foreign postings.

That we are paying for

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/10/uk-spends-13m-on-private-schooling-for-diplomats-children"

That's fair enough isn't it if we post people overseas? We either educate their kids in boarding schools in UK or in an International school in their host country.

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

You've fallen for 'it's all the Tories fault' hook, line and sinker. it can be both. Part of the hole was known about. Part of it not.

“Rachel Reeves is within her rights to feel somewhat aggrieved. It was always clear and obvious that the spending plans she inherited were incompatible with Labour’s ambitions for public services, and that more cash would be required eventually. But the extent of the in-year funding pressures does genuinely appear to be greater than could be discerned from the outside, which only adds to the scale of the problem."

[Some stuff was known]

"Nonetheless, some of the specifics are indeed shocking, and raise some difficult questions for the last government. If the scale of these overspends and spending pressures was apparent in the spring – and in lots of cases, there’s no reason to suppose otherwise – then it is hard to understand why they weren’t made clear or dealt with in the Spring Budget. Jeremy Hunt’s £10 billion cut to national insurance looks ever less defensible. On asylum costs, the decision to effectively stop processing claimants, and to budget virtually nothing for the resultant costs of housing them, looks like very poor policy making. The new Chancellor is right to be cross.""

So we've gone from needing £35b to needing £22b. That's a difference of £13b. Yet all the focus is on the latter figure, which is less than the former.

Of course there's a massive hole, we all knew about, apart from Labour apparently.

6 weeks ago

You've fallen for 'it's all the Tories fault' hook, line and sinker. it can be both. Part of the hole was known about. Part of it not.

[Some stuff was known]

"Nonetheless, some of the specifics are indeed shocking, and raise some difficult questions for the last government. If the scale of these overspends and spending pressures was apparent in the spring – and in lots of cases, there’s no reason to suppose otherwise – then it is hard to understand why they weren’t made clear or dealt with in the Spring Budget. Jeremy Hunt’s £10 billion cut to national insurance looks ever less defensible. On asylum costs, the decision to effectively stop processing claimants, and to budget virtually nothing for the resultant costs of housing them, looks like very poor policy making. The new Chancellor is right to be cross."

So we've gone from needing £35b to needing £22b. That's a difference of £13b. Yet all the focus is on the latter figure, which is less than the former.

Of course there's a massive hole, we all knew about, apart from Labour apparently. "

I'm not sure where your numbers are from and how they tie up, but I've seen nothing that suggests the hole is smaller (which is what I think your are pointing at). The above suggests IFS see it as bigger, no?

By *astandFeistyCouple
6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

[Some stuff was known]

Of course there's a massive hole, we all knew about, apart from Labour apparently. I'm not sure where your numbers are from and how they tie up, but I've seen nothing that suggests the hole is smaller (which is what I think your are pointing at). The above suggests IFS see it as bigger, no? "

There was a 35b shortfall in the Autumn Statement. That was a Tory statement.

Have you managed to watch Hunt question Reeves yesterday?

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

[Some stuff was known]

Of course there's a massive hole, we all knew about, apart from Labour apparently. I'm not sure where your numbers are from and how they tie up, but I've seen nothing that suggests the hole is smaller (which is what I think your are pointing at). The above suggests IFS see it as bigger, no?

Have you managed to watch Hunt question Reeves yesterday?"

Hunt said yesterday that they’re setting it up for tax hikes in the October budget.

If he turns out to be right, the Labour Party will be shown to have been lying from the get go…,

It could undo them before they’ve got off the line at this rate.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
6 weeks ago

in Lancashire

[Some stuff was known]

Of course there's a massive hole, we all knew about, apart from Labour apparently. I'm not sure where your numbers are from and how they tie up, but I've seen nothing that suggests the hole is smaller (which is what I think your are pointing at). The above suggests IFS see it as bigger, no?

Hunt said yesterday that they’re setting it up for tax hikes in the October budget.

If he turns out to be right, the Labour Party will be shown to have been lying from the get go…,

It could undo them before they’ve got off the line at this rate. "

They will stick with saying what they've said about tax rises for working people, NI etc..

Everyone was saying, well the IFS and other independents were that tax rises were inevitable whomever was in government..

It's all about who and how they spin such things which is always the way..

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

as i recall the labour party maintained that they would increase wealth taxes throughout the election campaign. taxes such as capital gains, IHT etc. they also maintained that they would not increase the rate of VAT, IC or NI

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"as i recall the labour party maintained that they would increase wealth taxes throughout the election campaign. taxes such as capital gains, IHT etc. they also maintained that they would not increase the rate of VAT, IC or NI"

They made manifesto pledge to not increase VAT, IC, NIC but avoided discussing all other taxes. Pretty certain they never openly admitted anything relating to IHT or CGT. That was speculation by think tanks and in the media.

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"as i recall the labour party maintained that they would increase wealth taxes throughout the election campaign. taxes such as capital gains, IHT etc. they also maintained that they would not increase the rate of VAT, IC or NI

They made manifesto pledge to not increase VAT, IC, NIC but avoided discussing all other taxes. Pretty certain they never openly admitted anything relating to IHT or CGT. That was speculation by think tanks and in the media. "

i'm pretty sure it was mentioned during interviews on the sunday wonk programes, radio 4's today etc so it's of no surprise. besides, it's what needs to happen to fix the last governments monumental mess i think

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"as i recall the labour party maintained that they would increase wealth taxes throughout the election campaign. taxes such as capital gains, IHT etc. they also maintained that they would not increase the rate of VAT, IC or NI

They made manifesto pledge to not increase VAT, IC, NIC but avoided discussing all other taxes. Pretty certain they never openly admitted anything relating to IHT or CGT. That was speculation by think tanks and in the media.

i'm pretty sure it was mentioned during interviews on the sunday wonk programes, radio 4's today etc so it's of no surprise. besides, it's what needs to happen to fix the last governments monumental mess i think"

I’m pretty sure THEY didn’t. Others might have but Labour representatives did not AFAIK

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

Socialism is always great when it’s someone else’s money that they are spending."

And when the tories spent someone else's money, what was that?

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

It is the tories fault.

Blah blah

Same old shit

"

They just didn't know the depth of the hole

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

Super rich will absorb.

it won't make a jot of difference to the public school industry. subsidising public schools is costing this country a fortune and has to stop really. it would be better to link VAT to the amount of scholarships that these schools provide. if a school meets the threshold then they pay no VAT. if they meet 50% of the threshold then they pay 75% of the vat or similar idea.

Does it cost the country a fortune though? Every kid in private school is one less for the government to pay for in state schools. Private schools pay taxes through buildings, salaries etc. I don't think their staff are moonlighting either - like in private medicine."

Don't you know that 6 figure sums aren't enough for consultants

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

It is the tories fault.

Blah blah

Same old shit

it sounds as if the the black hole is bigger than was first thought by IFS and ONS. "

Don't let facts get in the way of the righteous righties having a moan

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

[Some stuff was known]

Yeah, we wouldn't want a different govt lying would we . 14 years is enough for any sane person, even a tory!

Just a thought, but how the heck were tories going to reduce taxes? That would not have been the lie to end all lies?

By *eroy1000Man
6 weeks ago

milton keynes

[Some stuff was known]

I think he is right in that they are preparing the public for more tax increases and/ or cuts but I would be very surprised if they break their pledge on not raising things like income tax. Now they have penalised pensioners for saving for their retirement and getting Britain building by cancelling building projects, I suspect changes to ISA and maybe the tax free amount you can get in normal saving accounts. Possibly a hike in petrol duty. Inheritance tax a possibility.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"

Yeah, we wouldn't want a different govt lying would we . 14 years is enough for any sane person, even a tory!

Just a thought, but how the heck were tories going to reduce taxes? That would not have been the lie to end all lies? "

Exactly. The Tories are huffing and puffing to distract from the fact that they maxed out the credit card.

The grown ups realise this and know that very difficult spending cuts and tax increases have to be implemented, whichever party is in power.

Labour has said they will try to protect working people and tax wealth to try to balance the books. Some Tories are squealing like little pigs forgetting they created this whole mess in the first place.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

What's with all the hooha re reducing criteria for winter fuel payments? Suddenly the righteous righties want all oldies to get it but want other welfare payments stopped, like child benefit (NOT to be confused with child tax credits). Yet historically you'll find charities like the Joseph rowntree foundation go up in arms as it prevents a certain amount of child poverty (they may even continue to do so).

I know there are going to be pensioners who just miss out, but in all benefits there are those who slip through the net

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

[Some stuff was known]

It could undo them before they’ve got off the line at this rate.

I think he is right in that they are preparing the public for more tax increases and/ or cuts but I would be very surprised if they break their pledge on not raising things like income tax. Now they have penalised pensioners for saving for their retirement and getting Britain building by cancelling building projects, I suspect changes to ISA and maybe the tax free amount you can get in normal saving accounts. Possibly a hike in petrol duty. Inheritance tax a possibility."

Not enough to be made through those options in my opinion.

They spent 9.5 billion yesterday, that’s not bad for the first 25 days.

Rayner has gone full dictator, you will not have a say in the amount of houses we are going to build in your back garden or where we decide to put them, you haven’t a choice.

They are going to force some kind of infrastructure upgrade to support these unmanaged, unchallenged builds, but I haven’t a clue how they propose to do it and I don’t think she does to be honest, but it sounds okay to the feckless who will be the beneficiaries of Rayners dictatorship.

The race to the bottom is well and truly on, day 25.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"What's with all the hooha re reducing criteria for winter fuel payments? Suddenly the righteous righties want all oldies to get it but want other welfare payments stopped, like child benefit (NOT to be confused with child tax credits). Yet historically you'll find charities like the Joseph rowntree foundation go up in arms as it prevents a certain amount of child poverty (they may even continue to do so).

I know there are going to be pensioners who just miss out, but in all benefits there are those who slip through the net"

Yes the Tories are supposed to stand for a small state and individual responsibility. I bet they opposed WFA when Gordon Brown introduced it in 1997. Tories generally hate GB but now are squealing with rage when one of his policies has been abandoned. Farcical.

I think their attacks on Labour were due to being in purdah for the start of their Leadership election. But I read they have now restarted their infighting attacking Kemi Badenoch earlier today.

The Tories will never change.

By *rozac_fairyCouple
6 weeks ago

Tamworth

The grandparents are pissed about it.

They own quite the portfolio of properties, spend 7 months of the year in 2 abroad properties and I'd struggle to imagine what they have in the bank.

But the winter fuel payment they got used to cover pretty much their entire gas bill as they'd be away in Spain or Portugal usually.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 30/07/24 20:02:21]

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"The grandparents are pissed about it.

They own quite the portfolio of properties, spend 7 months of the year in 2 abroad properties and I'd struggle to imagine what they have in the bank.

But the winter fuel payment they got used to cover pretty much their entire gas bill as they'd be away in Spain or Portugal usually. "

What a wonderfully successful couple they are, and I’m glad they’re relaxing in their latter years. You Must very proud of their achievements,

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

But the winter fuel payment they got used to cover pretty much their entire gas bill as they'd be away in Spain or Portugal usually.

What a wonderfully successful couple they are, and I’m glad they’re relaxing in their latter years. You Must very proud of their achievements,"

Agreed. Well done them. But they clearly don’t need WFA so let’s get real on that. Or if not then I want my Child Benefit back!

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

What a wonderfully successful couple they are, and I’m glad they’re relaxing in their latter years. You Must very proud of their achievements,

Agreed. Well done them. But they clearly don’t need WFA so let’s get real on that. Or if not then I want my Child Benefit back! "

They can have what ever their hearts desire, the money they must have pumped into the countries assets over the years, £300 is a little thank you

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

What a wonderfully successful couple they are, and I’m glad they’re relaxing in their latter years. You Must very proud of their achievements,"

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Agreed. Well done them. But they clearly don’t need WFA so let’s get real on that. Or if not then I want my Child Benefit back!

They can have what ever their hearts desire, the money they must have pumped into the countries assets over the years, £300 is a little thank you"

Ok but then I want my child benefit back as I have added an indigenous person to the future workforce who will pay tax and help support all of our state pensions.

By *melie LALWoman
6 weeks ago

Peterborough

They can have what ever their hearts desire, the money they must have pumped into the countries assets over the years, £300 is a little thank you"

Oh beeeeehave.

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

They can have what ever their hearts desire, the money they must have pumped into the countries assets over the years, £300 is a little thank you

Ok but then I want my child benefit back as I have added an indigenous person to the future workforce who will pay tax and help support all of our state pensions. "

Not the same I’m afraid you took a punt, if your kids cut it we will think about reimbursing you, unless they went private and we will demand back payment for nothing in particular but we don’t like people who can afford to go elsewhere.

I’m practicing to become a labour minister, how am I doing?

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Ok but then I want my child benefit back as I have added an indigenous person to the future workforce who will pay tax and help support all of our state pensions.

Not the same I’m afraid you took a punt, if your kids cut it we will think about reimbursing you, unless they went private and we will demand back payment for nothing in particular but we don’t like people who can afford to go elsewhere.

I’m practicing to become a labour minister, how am I doing? "

You’ve been studying well sir! All that money my kid saved tax payers by not using the state school system means naff all clearly!

By *rozac_fairyCouple
6 weeks ago

Tamworth

I can't say I'm "proud of their achievements" honestly. My grandmother has always been on benefits, except for 1 year at about 15 years old where she worked in a cotton mill. My grandfather also didn't work till he hit 52.

But they did amazingly with my great-granparents, they inherited a fortune. I'm very proud of my great-grandparents and their achievements, they came to the UK with nothing but trauma for WW2 and worked exceedingly hard.

By *rozac_fairyCouple
6 weeks ago

Tamworth

I will say though, my grandmother had always said her biggest achievement was birthing 14 children, which was needed "after the war" to help the country.

So I suppose that's something lol

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I can't say I'm "proud of their achievements" honestly. My grandmother has always been on benefits, except for 1 year at about 15 years old where she worked in a cotton mill. My grandfather also didn't work till he hit 52.

But they did amazingly with my great-granparents, they inherited a fortune. I'm very proud of my great-grandparents and their achievements, they came to the UK with nothing but trauma for WW2 and worked exceedingly hard. "

The gift of inheritance, such a beautiful gift to pass on your hard earned to the people you love.

By *rozac_fairyCouple
6 weeks ago

Tamworth

But they did amazingly with my great-granparents, they inherited a fortune. I'm very proud of my great-grandparents and their achievements, they came to the UK with nothing but trauma for WW2 and worked exceedingly hard.

The gift of inheritance, such a beautiful gift to pass on your hard earned to the people you love."

Exactly that! It's nice to think those properties etc have stayed in the family to the next generation and may do for another (if my Mom is lucky!)

By *otMe66 OP   Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

The gift of inheritance, such a beautiful gift to pass on your hard earned to the people you love.

Exactly that! It's nice to think those properties etc have stayed in the family to the next generation and may do for another (if my Mom is lucky!)

"

Post new Message to Thread