Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Energy bills under Labour - up or down?

Jump to newest

By *hairmanDao OP   Man
6 weeks ago

London

Labour made a big thing during the election campaign of their energy and Net Zero policies bringing our energy bills down.

Now in power, they seem to be rapidly backtracking.

So I’m not clear. Are energy bills for consumers and businesses going to go up or down over the next five years under Labour?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

when the conservatives bungled hinckley point comes on line expect your bills to to triple. the public paying for the project through their bills was the deal they made to get that particular white elephant built despite nobody wanting the electricity now

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Guests in our Own club this weekend EXCITED !!!

[Removed by poster at 28/07/24 10:04:50]

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"Labour made a big thing during the election campaign of their energy and Net Zero policies bringing our energy bills down.

So I’m not clear. Are energy bills for consumers and businesses going to go up or down over the next five years under Labour?"

They do keep repeating a 'permanent £300 saving each year for each household'. But that doesn't account for the fact that bills still may go up to £5 million a year per household just as long as they can say 'yea but we are saving £300 on that figure for you.'

And if bills come down naturaly because of market forces - you bet your life that they will claim that for themselves too.

It's all in the way they massage the language, really.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

I'm not sure Labour said they would bring energy prices down but happy to be corrected from a reliable source.

I thought their policies are about increasing our domestic energy resources and increasing the percentage of green energy produced.

I have lived through two or three energy price shocks. One caused by OPEC, one by Putin and one by the Tories v The Miners.

Labour is trying to end the 14 year Tory Doom Loop of no growth. Any successful business person knows you can't cut your way to growth.

Taking the brakes off energy production projects seems a good start to me, but energy prices are set internationally, but energy security is also important when countries are warring

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

when the tories made a lot of noise about how they would reduce everyones bills by removing the 5% green levy from bills a number of years ago, the energy companies just swooped in and collected that 5% plus some more as extra profit and no-ones bills went down at all.

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"

Taking the brakes off energy production projects seems a good start to me, but energy prices are set internationally, but energy security is also important when countries are warring "

gas, oil and coal maybe .... electricity is a domestic market and pricing frameworks vary from country to country. that's why spain decoupling renwable electricity from fossil fuel electricity caused domestic prices to drop 23% thus mitigating the effects of the russian fuel shock.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"when the conservatives bungled hinckley point comes on line expect your bills to to triple. the public paying for the project through their bills was the deal they made to get that particular white elephant built despite nobody wanting the electricity now"

You're kidding. We desperately need new nuclear now, as it's the only carbon free generation method that can be relied on to produce energy 24/7.

By *hrill CollinsMan
6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"when the conservatives bungled hinckley point comes on line expect your bills to to triple. the public paying for the project through their bills was the deal they made to get that particular white elephant built despite nobody wanting the electricity now

You're kidding. We desperately need new nuclear now, as it's the only carbon free generation method that can be relied on to produce energy 24/7."

on the strength of the current data set, i disagree with you.

if you mean business and industry need new nuclear then perhaps. but that begs the question why is business and industry refusing to buy the power generated by hinckley when it comes online?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"when the conservatives bungled hinckley point comes on line expect your bills to to triple. the public paying for the project through their bills was the deal they made to get that particular white elephant built despite nobody wanting the electricity now"

"You're kidding. We desperately need new nuclear now, as it's the only carbon free generation method that can be relied on to produce energy 24/7."

"on the strength of the current data set, i disagree with you."

Without knowing which data you are taking about, it's hard to comment.

"if you mean business and industry need new nuclear then perhaps. but that begs the question why is business and industry refusing to buy the power generated by hinckley when it comes online?"

Again, I see no evidence of that. Would you like to give me a pointer?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

Poorly insulated homes, old building stock, 27 million dwellings - only 4.5% with PV and 0.19% with heat pumps

A lot to do

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"

Taking the brakes off energy production projects seems a good start to me, but energy prices are set internationally, but energy security is also important when countries are warring

gas, oil and coal maybe .... electricity is a domestic market and pricing frameworks vary from country to country. that's why spain decoupling renwable electricity from fossil fuel electricity caused domestic prices to drop 23% thus mitigating the effects of the russian fuel shock."

I didn't know Spain has done this - thanks.

I recall a similar suggestion for the UK to follow. Did that lead anywhere?

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

'labour to bring energy prices down by 300 a year'

Type this into Google.

Plus, he said it live on TV about 5 times that I have seen. Most recently, two days ago while doing a podium chap at a wind energy manufacturing plant.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/gb-energy-will-help-drive-down-bills-by-300-keir-starmer-pledges

By *ortyairCouple
6 weeks ago

Wallasey

Energy has been predicted to increase from probably the last quarter.

Not really new news.

Mrs x

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

"'labour to bring energy prices down by 300 a year'

Type this into Google.

Plus, he said it live on TV about 5 times that I have seen. Most recently, two days ago while doing a podium chap at a wind energy manufacturing plant.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/gb-energy-will-help-drive-down-bills-by-300-keir-starmer-pledges"

I think you answered this point well in your previous post. Labour has said setting up GB Energy and its other energy related policies would reduce energy bills by £300 from what they would have been without these initiatives.

That isn't the same as saying energy bills would drop £300. Also Labour has clearly stated that the UK government doesn't control gas prices which are set internationally, and has no control.

All very reasonable to me. Nice move allowing the Crown Estates to borrow money, which the Tories prevented. CE is now a £16billion successful organisation and has all the offshore land for potential windfarm development.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

****LABOUR have been warned they must keep their promise to cut household energy bills by £300 – amid “chaos and confusion” over the pledge.

The SNP have demanded Keir Starmer stick to his guns and work to slash bills, as Labour faced a barrage of questions over uncertainty on the policy.

During the election, Starmer said Labour’s Great British Energy plans, which were laid before Parliament for the first time on Thursday, would reduce household bills by £300.

But since taking power the number had fallen by the wayside with Energy Secretary Ed Miliband (below) ducking questions about the figure in a TV interview on Thursday morning. ****

NOW they are changing that language to 'Driving down to £300'. And people are getting pretty annoyed by this change.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

Found the spoken quote:

During a visit to a factory in Widnes, Cheshire, Starmer was grilled on the election pledge and asked whether he was still promising voters their bills would come down by £300.

He said: “Yes I do – I stand by everything in my manifesto and one of the things I made clear in the election campaign is because I wouldn’t make a single promise or commitment that I didn’t think we could deliver in government and that’s why we carefully costed and funded everything in our manifesto.

“That does depend on early firm decisions being made, which is why we’ve set up GB Energy, why we’ve announced the partnership today with the Crown Estate and why the energy secretary has already taken action in week one in relation to onshore wind, in relation to solar energy and also pushing on with nuclear. So I stand by that commitment.”

By *yth11Couple
6 weeks ago

newark

"Labour made a big thing during the election campaign of their energy and Net Zero policies bringing our energy bills down.

So I’m not clear. Are energy bills for consumers and businesses going to go up or down over the next five years under Labour?"

If you using fossil fuels then it’s going up due to wanting a closer relationship to EU and net zero goals. As for renewables a lot will depend on the subsidies needed to get it built or if you directly benefit from it such as owning solar panels.

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

I once said that labour will say ho no look what we found things are much worst than we thought it is the tories fault.

Well watch Rachel Reeves tomorrow.

And remember the rich will pay no more tax you have already been told that and still voted them in.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 weeks ago

nearby

"I once said that labour will say ho no look what we found things are much worst than we thought it is the tories fault.

Well watch Rachel Reeves tomorrow.

And remember the rich will pay no more tax you have already been told that and still voted them in."

Correct

But the wealthy will be paying more tax

IHT

Lifetime gifts (potentially exempt transfers)

Capital gains possibly equalised to income tax rates

Share profits possibly to be taxed in line with dividends

Foreign ownership of uk property to have higher stamp duty

Lifetime limit on pensions

Just a few of the things likely to come soon.

By *aribbean King 1985Man
6 weeks ago

South West London

It's going up just like the taxes we have to pay despite their "promise" not too

By (user no longer on site)
6 weeks ago

Prices are largely out of their gift. Any effect was always going to be relative. And therefore difficult to measure.

See also: Brexit. Inflation.

By *mateur100Man
6 weeks ago

nr faversham

Up...as they would doubtless have done under anyone else

6 weeks ago

South West London

This is why it was a big mistake to vote for Labour as they really known to increase taxes at all cost

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

"This is why it was a big mistake to vote for Labour as they really known to increase taxes at all cost "

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck.

6 weeks ago

South West London

"This is why it was a big mistake to vote for Labour as they really known to increase taxes at all cost

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck. "

Oh I blame some of that stuff on Tories if course

By *yth11Couple
6 weeks ago

newark

"This is why it was a big mistake to vote for Labour as they really known to increase taxes at all cost

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck. "

Energy is long term and the last labour government kicked the can on new nuclear plants and signed up to the emissions trading scheme.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck. Oh I blame some of that stuff on Tories if course "

For me personally, part of the issue relates to what they spend the tax on, and how they manage the country.

If a tax rise is needed to rebuild the country after 14 years of Tory management. Then it has to be. If they need more taxes to get us to energy independence, then I can see the logic. IE something with a long term vision for the UK.

If they spunk away billions of the public money on their mates PPE startup companies, or take us down some ruinous path with things like Brexit, or spaff 100s of millions on attempted vote grabbing nonsense like the Rwanda scheme, then it's not something I'd be enthusiastic about.

By *mateur100Man
6 weeks ago

nr faversham

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck. Oh I blame some of that stuff on Tories if course

For me personally, part of the issue relates to what they spend the tax on, and how they manage the country.

If a tax rise is needed to rebuild the country after 14 years of Tory management. Then it has to be. If they need more taxes to get us to energy independence, then I can see the logic. IE something with a long term vision for the UK.

If they spunk away billions of the public money on their mates PPE startup companies, or take us down some ruinous path with things like Brexit, or spaff 100s of millions on attempted vote grabbing nonsense like the Rwanda scheme, then it's not something I'd be enthusiastic about. "

Surely if tax rises are needed they should've been open about that in the manifesto and campaigning...that applies to all parties

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Checks notes, yes wasn't Labour in power raising our tax burden higher and higher to pay for their mismanagement of public finances, and the Brexit clusterfuck. Oh I blame some of that stuff on Tories if course

If they spunk away billions of the public money on their mates PPE startup companies, or take us down some ruinous path with things like Brexit, or spaff 100s of millions on attempted vote grabbing nonsense like the Rwanda scheme, then it's not something I'd be enthusiastic about.

Surely if tax rises are needed they should've been open about that in the manifesto and campaigning...that applies to all parties "

I had zero intention of voting for Labour, so I didn't go through their manifesto to look at what they said about taxation. So I don't know what they said.

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

I knew it was coming now it is here this is why I did not vote for anyone, what is the point.

And ive always voted labour in the distant past, now I haven't a clue.

they all lie, none can be trusted.

Full Stop.

By *ostindreamsMan
6 weeks ago

London

Surely if tax rises are needed they should've been open about that in the manifesto and campaigning...that applies to all parties

I had zero intention of voting for Labour, so I didn't go through their manifesto to look at what they said about taxation. So I don't know what they said.

"

And here is what they said:

https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/labour-party-tax-policy-how-we-will-make-the-tax-system-fairer/

"Labour will not increase income tax, national insurance or VAT."

Isn't it dishonest behaviour from labour, if they increase taxes weeks after making such a statement in manifesto?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/labour-party-tax-policy-how-we-will-make-the-tax-system-fairer/

Isn't it dishonest behaviour from labour, if they increase taxes weeks after making such a statement in manifesto?"

Have they increased taxes?

By *mateur100Man
6 weeks ago

nr faversham

"

Perhaps you should look

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 28/07/24 22:20:37]

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

Perhaps you should look"

Bloke above posted a link there.

I can confirm that I have no opinion on the likelihood of Labour breaking manifesto pledges. My opinion was regarding the bigger picture with my view on paying more or less tax.

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Isn't it dishonest behaviour from labour, if they increase taxes weeks after making such a statement in manifesto?

Have they increased taxes?"

I have no idea Rachel Reeves will let us know tomorrow, but if she says they have just discovered this from an audit.

She is lying I am afraid, as I heard about this just after the election was announced on politics live they discussed then a 19 billion hole in the public purse and what taxes labour will need to rise to fill the hole.

The labour M.P dodged all questions.

I am in the political wilderness lost adrift no one to vote for anymore.

By *ostindreamsMan
6 weeks ago

London

Have they increased taxes?"

All signs say they are going to, pretty much what everyone predicted. Get elected by promising no tax rises. Then claim that the budget situation is in an "unexpectedly" terrible condition and hence they have no choice but to increase the tax.

They have already made public statements about some "black hole" in public finances. The natural consequence of this would be to increase taxes.

6 weeks ago

I have no idea Rachel Reeves will let us know tomorrow, but if she says they have just discovered this from an audit.

She is lying I am afraid, as I heard about this just after the election was announced on politics live they discussed then a 19 billion hole in the public purse and what taxes labour will need to rise to fill the hole.

I am in the political wilderness lost adrift no one to vote for anymore. "

the 19bn was already known. Imo labour skirted about this because we the voters didn't want to hear the truth.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
6 weeks ago

Hastings

They aren't going to raise tax.

Nore are they going to raise the basic rate at with people pay tax and with a 5% pay rise 1% will go back into the treasury.

Then they will play with other tax so more have to pay in.

Change Inheritance Tax so they gat more.

Labourer will tax people and it will be another squeeze on the middle.

The poor have nothing to give the rich can move money overseas if necessary. The employed middle will cover the gap, I guess at the cost of about £150 a week per house hold

6 weeks ago

"They aren't going to raise tax.

Nore are they going to raise the basic rate at with people pay tax and with a 5% pay rise 1% will go back into the treasury.

The poor have nothing to give the rich can move money overseas if necessary. The employed middle will cover the gap, I guess at the cost of about £150 a week per house hold "

150 PW from income tax ?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
6 weeks ago

Hastings

The poor have nothing to give the rich can move money overseas if necessary. The employed middle will cover the gap, I guess at the cost of about £150 a week per house hold 150 PW from income tax ? "

No it will be more discreet.

As said 5% pay rise is less then 4% after income tax and NI.

And if the base rate dose not move with inflation then its just less in you pocket in real terms. And pensioners will fall in to income tax.

Up Coperation Tax 1% and company's will up the cost 1% so thing will cost more. ETC nothing is for free. But energy might stay at the same cost.

We all want but don't want to give.

6 weeks ago

The poor have nothing to give the rich can move money overseas if necessary. The employed middle will cover the gap, I guess at the cost of about £150 a week per house hold 150 PW from income tax ?

No it will be more discreet.

As said 5% pay rise is less then 4% after income tax and NI.

And if the base rate dose not move with inflation then its just less in you pocket in real terms. And pensioners will fall in to income tax.

Up Coperation Tax 1% and company's will up the cost 1% so thing will cost more. ETC nothing is for free. But energy might stay at the same cost.

We all want but don't want to give.

"

ah gotcha. It was the middle england bit that got me.

By *yth11Couple
6 weeks ago

newark

There is a lot of small tax raises already in pipeline for example if you have travelled on a ferry to France you might have noticed a new ETS charge on your ticket but the UK has not introduced this but is committed to introducing it in the future and there is other stuff like this as part of staying inline with the EU plus net zero.

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

I am in the political wilderness lost adrift no one to vote for anymore. the 19bn was already known. Imo labour skirted about this because we the voters didn't want to hear the truth. "

Well there was no comment when I posted it a couple of months ago, so I cannot argue there.

6 weeks ago

South West London

Isn't it dishonest behaviour from labour, if they increase taxes weeks after making such a statement in manifesto?"

My point exactly after they said everything they pledged was full costed but some of you Labour lovers and loyalist dont want to admit to that, instead pass blame as always

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Isn't it dishonest behaviour from labour, if they increase taxes weeks after making such a statement in manifesto? My point exactly after they said everything they pledged was full costed but some of you Labour lovers and loyalist dont want to admit to that, instead pass blame as always"

They are going to say the tories hid the truth about their budgets, but if the OBR has stated this shortfall months ago then this cannot be a surprise to labour.

It is a shame if they say this as I know it is not true that it is a surprise to them.

Who is in charge of politics these days as I am pretty sure it is not the M.P's.

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Looks like cuts to building, road and rail projects to fill the gap the Beeb report.

No rises, so I may continue building my faith.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Looks like cuts to building, road and rail projects to fill the gap the Beeb report.

No rises, so I may continue building my faith."

Why not just wait until she's actually said whatever it is she's going to say, and then judge her on that?

By *enSiskoMan
6 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"Looks like cuts to building, road and rail projects to fill the gap the Beeb report.

No rises, so I may continue building my faith.

Why not just wait until she's actually said whatever it is she's going to say, and then judge her on that?"

it is fab I do as I wish as can you.

Plus it has been leaked already.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

I predict there will be billions wasted on 'white elephant' clean energy projects that will run massively over budget and generate far less energy than predicted ("sorry, climate change has lessened winds" - or suchlike). Meanwhile, new oil fields are banned and we are destined to make all our future travel on bicycles and rickshaws.

By *ill69888Couple
6 weeks ago

cheltenham

"I'm not sure Labour said they would bring energy prices down but happy to be corrected from a reliable source.

I thought their policies are about increasing our domestic energy resources and increasing the percentage of green energy produced.

I have lived through two or three energy price shocks. One caused by OPEC, one by Putin and one by the Tories v The Miners.

Labour is trying to end the 14 year Tory Doom Loop of no growth. Any successful business person knows you can't cut your way to growth.

Taking the brakes off energy production projects seems a good start to me, but energy prices are set internationally, but energy security is also important when countries are warring "

looks like they did say it….https://labour.org.uk/change/make-britain-a-clean-energy-superpower/

By *ophieslutTV/TS
6 weeks ago

Central

It's not going to be an immediate bill reduction, if we are waiting for massive installations and funds generation. At the end of this term would be a more realistic timeframe to achieve it.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

GB energy is a mystery.

Publicly owned but supplied by the private sectors. How will this work in real terms?

650000 new jobs around the country, £300 off bills, will this come at a cost of an uplift in taxes?

I don't understand how this is funded, or what the ROI is as a figure to the tax payer, what % of energy will be provided, and how the partnership of private enterprise and government ownership is going to work.

If anyone knows answers to the above I would be interested to hear them.

By *anda and CatCouple
6 weeks ago

Well, it will be going up for 10 million pensioners that's for sure!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c3g9yy73l77t?post=asset%3A694f880d-4a9e-4bdc-bffa-a66d0e3b6b74#post

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"Well, it will be going up for 10 million pensioners that's for sure!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c3g9yy73l77t?post=asset%3A694f880d-4a9e-4bdc-bffa-a66d0e3b6b74#post"

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society.

6 weeks ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c3g9yy73l77t?post=asset%3A694f880d-4a9e-4bdc-bffa-a66d0e3b6b74#post

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society."

at what level income would this kick in ?

6 weeks ago

South West London

Surely now people must see Labour what they really stand for but yet some of you voted for them blindly out of emotion and not thinking what the wider consequences voting for them actually meant

By *anda and CatCouple
6 weeks ago

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society.at what level income would this kick in ?"

Any pensioner that isn't on means tested benefits, so if they have a full state pension and don't get pension credit.

6 weeks ago

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society.at what level income would this kick in ?

Any pensioner that isn't on means tested benefits, so if they have a full state pension and don't get pension credit."

ta, so about 12ish k pa if a single old person.

While I buy into means testing this does feel low.

By *2000ManMan
6 weeks ago

Worthing

Bills up. GB Energy will be based on wind and solar which do not always work. They have to be backed up by gas at such times. Milliband cancelling new uk oil and gas exploration means we will need to import more at increased expense. Hopefully they won't cancel any new nuclear projects otherwise it will be even worse.

By *hairmanDao OP   Man
6 weeks ago

London

My guess is that Great British Energy will last about ten years before it is shut down in the midst of massive losses to the taxpayer, failed business ventures it has supported, naive support for fraudsters, and a massively bloated bureaucracy, leaving a trail of economic and community devastation and soaring energy bills in its wake.

By *aughtystaffs60Couple
6 weeks ago

Staffordshire

I should just sort out your own solar panels if you can afford them using The stuff in your ISAs and pensions. Once it's on your roof they can't touch it.

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"I should just sort out your own solar panels if you can afford them using The stuff in your ISAs and pensions. Once it's on your roof they can't touch it."

You do have to be a bit careful though - last I saw if you have 9kw or upwards you have to have a feed in tariff to the grid.

They pay you back much less than you would pay them if they were supplying you raw electricity.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

"Bills up. GB Energy will be based on wind and solar which do not always work.

"

They're not supposed to "always work", they work as a part of an integrated system, with tidal, hydro electric, energy storage, biogas etc.

"

They have to be backed up by gas at such times.

"

They don't, nuclear would be a better option until we're where we need to be.

"

Milliband cancelling new uk oil and gas exploration means we will need to import more at increased expense.

"

Not if we transition away from fossil fuels.

"

Hopefully they won't cancel any new nuclear projects otherwise it will be even worse."

Nuclear is needed to help during the transition period. And may need to be extended in the medium term.

By *hairmanDao OP   Man
6 weeks ago

London

"I should just sort out your own solar panels if you can afford them using The stuff in your ISAs and pensions. Once it's on your roof they can't touch it."

Are you sure that it’s “your roof”, though?

I’m pretty sure that this government thinks that it’s theirs.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"GB energy is a mystery.

Publicly owned but supplied by the private sectors. How will this work in real terms?

650000 new jobs around the country, £300 off bills, will this come at a cost of an uplift in taxes?

I don't understand how this is funded, or what the ROI is as a figure to the tax payer, what % of energy will be provided, and how the partnership of private enterprise and government ownership is going to work.

If anyone knows answers to the above I would be interested to hear them. "

Great British Energy is just an investment fund. The idea is that they'll invite pitches from green energy companies, hand over cash in return for shares, and then reap the profits when the company does well.

They aren't intending to provide any new jobs, or cut energy costs. They predict that those figures will be reached by the companies taking the investment.

But they do seem very keen on pushing tidal projects, so we can expect an awful lot of that money to be washed away during a strong tide.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"My guess is that Great British Energy will last about ten years before it is shut down in the midst of massive losses to the taxpayer, failed business ventures it has supported, naive support for fraudsters, and a massively bloated bureaucracy, leaving a trail of economic and community devastation and soaring energy bills in its wake."

That would be cynical.

But almost certainly accurate.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 weeks ago

Pershore

They're not supposed to "always work", they work as a part of an integrated system, with tidal, hydro electric, energy storage, biogas etc.

They have to be backed up by gas at such times.

They don't, nuclear would be a better option until we're where we need to be.

Milliband cancelling new uk oil and gas exploration means we will need to import more at increased expense.

Not if we transition away from fossil fuels.

Hopefully they won't cancel any new nuclear projects otherwise it will be even worse.

Nuclear is needed to help during the transition period. And may need to be extended in the medium term."

Nuclear fusion will be harnessed in the future, with no harmful emissions (at least, none we know about). Fission is a dirty and a dangerous energy source.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Bills up. GB Energy will be based on wind and solar which do not always work."

"They're not supposed to "always work", they work as a part of an integrated system, with tidal, hydro electric, energy storage, biogas etc."

I'm going to agree with JTN, though I'd add nuclear to his list.

All we need to do now is invent some way of storing electricity that's physically possible at grid level, and we're sorted.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

I'm going to agree with JTN, though I'd add nuclear to his list.

All we need to do now is invent some way of storing electricity that's physically possible at grid level, and we're sorted."

You must be mistaken. No one ever agrees with me.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Bills up. GB Energy will be based on wind and solar which do not always work."

"They're not supposed to "always work", they work as a part of an integrated system, with tidal, hydro electric, energy storage, biogas etc."

"I'm going to agree with JTN, though I'd add nuclear to his list.

All we need to do now is invent some way of storing electricity that's physically possible at grid level, and we're sorted."

"You must be mistaken. No one ever agrees with me."

Good point. I take it all back.

Except for the bit about energy storage not existing. That bit is the stumbling point for green energy.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 weeks ago

Walsall

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society."

The Tories gave us an extremely generous furlough scheme during Covid and also very generous Energy Support payments over the winter of 2022/3 and look where that got them - their largest election defeat in recent memory.

I'm not sure you understand politics, the fickle nature of the Electorate and what actually matters to voters.

Many younger voters view my generation as The Selfish Generation, and largely they are right. We have had a lot more opportunities than generations before and after us. Labour understands this. Yes they may need to tweak the policy a bit to satisfy the Daily Mail, but why should anyone with a decent income get a state hand out anymore?

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"

I'm not sure you understand politics, the fickle nature of the Electorate and what actually matters to voters.

"

Everybody here doesn't understand Politics but you. So glad that we have you here to advise us all.

6 weeks ago

South West London

Well if Pensioners are being taxed and the winter fuel credit being taken away by Labur then that's already gonna costs votes at the next general election

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

"Well if Pensioners are being taxed and the winter fuel credit being taken away by Labur then that's already gonna costs votes at the next general election "

That’s you happy then

By *irldnCouple
6 weeks ago

Brighton

Despicable. We can now see what Labour really think about the most vulnerable in society.

The Tories gave us an extremely generous furlough scheme during Covid and also very generous Energy Support payments over the winter of 2022/3 and look where that got them - their largest election defeat in recent memory.

Many younger voters view my generation as The Selfish Generation, and largely they are right. We have had a lot more opportunities than generations before and after us. Labour understands this. Yes they may need to tweak the policy a bit to satisfy the Daily Mail, but why should anyone with a decent income get a state hand out anymore?"

Yep. Boomers fucked the world. Cheers

6 weeks ago

South West London

"Well if Pensioners are being taxed and the winter fuel credit being taken away by Labur then that's already gonna costs votes at the next general election

That’s you happy then "

Well actually I'm not, could of been avoided if they didn't vote Labour in the first place as they were warned about what they would do. But as usual some people don't listen or just don't understand when they're voting. Now we're stuck with this god forsaken government for at least 5 years so whoever voted Labour and now moaning about their policies have themselves to blame for

By *2000ManMan
6 weeks ago

Worthing

Seems to me they are taking money from those that cannot fight back to give to those that can.

By *otMe66Man
6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

for 10 million pensioners they have risen by £300 a year. Day 25

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 weeks ago

"Seems to me they are taking money from those that cannot fight back to give to those that can."

Let's hope the pensioners 'organise'. Well they will at the next election for sure.

By *hairmanDao OP   Man
6 weeks ago

London

The 80% of the electorate who didn’t vote for this appalling government are going to have to start organising and protesting.

Usually that doesn’t happen because they are too busy working, taking care of their families and doing something more productive with their time.

So the tiny minority of professional leftist protestors make all the noise and give the impression that their fringe opinions are far more prevalent than they actually are.

But it’s something that the silent majority are going to have to learn to do, unless they are happy to passively sit back and let the noisy indolent minority destroy everything they have been working for.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
6 weeks ago

golden fields

"The 80% of the electorate who didn’t vote for this appalling government are going to have to start organising and protesting.

Usually that doesn’t happen because they are too busy working, taking care of their families and doing something more productive with their time.

So the tiny minority of professional leftist protestors make all the noise and give the impression that their fringe opinions are far more prevalent than they actually are.

But it’s something that the silent majority are going to have to learn to do, unless they are happy to passively sit back and let the noisy indolent minority destroy everything they have been working for.

"

I support their right to protest. Even if it's because they want to return to more corruption and more blaming foriegners for everything.

Post new Message to Thread