Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Conservative Peer message of hope

Jump to newest

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
6 days ago

Peterborough

On QT last night, Lord Finkelstein was positive in what he said about our new government and a message to the electorate: giving the time to our new govt to get the country back on track and give the electorate something to hope for.

Now if only (more) politicians were like this.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *roadShoulderzMan
5 days ago

Petersfield

"On QT last night, Lord Finkelstein was positive in what he said about our new government and a message to the electorate: giving the time to our new govt to get the country back on track and give the electorate something to hope for.

Now if only (more) politicians were like this."

Yes agreed. Wise Tories are saying the party needs to stop, reflect and listen to the electorate and then decide how to move forward.

Little sign of that so far. Many are effectively disputing the validity of the result and suddenly no longer want FPTP.

Then right wing nutters like Braverman are already campaigning blaming Sunak and the wets for the defeat.

Another wise Tory, Lord Hague has said the return of the Party is not inevitable. I think he might be right.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
5 days ago

nearby

Tories are old news

Reform is the new opposition. As someone has said on another thread if Labour don’t sort immigration Reform will have 50 MP’s at the next election.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
5 days ago

nearby

"On QT last night, Lord Finkelstein was positive in what he said about our new government and a message to the electorate: giving the time to our new govt to get the country back on track and give the electorate something to hope for.

Yes agreed. Wise Tories are saying the party needs to stop, reflect and listen to the electorate and then decide how to move forward.

Little sign of that so far. Many are effectively disputing the validity of the result and suddenly no longer want FPTP.

Then right wing nutters like Braverman are already campaigning blaming Sunak and the wets for the defeat.

Another wise Tory, Lord Hague has said the return of the Party is not inevitable. I think he might be right."

I think it’s more likely Starmer will make a success of government. Any significant climb back by Tory is doubtful imo, they are a mess and have nothing to offer anyone.

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
5 days ago

Peterborough

"Tories are old news

Reform is the new opposition. As someone has said on another thread if Labour don’t sort immigration Reform will have 50 MP’s at the next election. "

Too much history for them to be done and gone.

They'll rally round.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
5 days ago

BRIDPORT

Another wise Tory, Lord Hague has said the return of the Party is not inevitable. I think he might be right.

I think it’s more likely Starmer will make a success of government. Any significant climb back by Tory is doubtful imo, they are a mess and have nothing to offer anyone.

"

The same could have been said about labour at the end of the seventies and through the eighties, but they reinvented themselves and returned, a foolish person rights of the competition.

By *roadShoulderzMan
3 days ago

Petersfield

The same could have been said about labour at the end of the seventies and through the eighties, but they reinvented themselves and returned, a foolish person rights of the competition. "

Yes but it took Labour 18 years to get back into power. The SDP split never came to anything, merging with the Lib Dems 6 years later.

If Reform gets its act together then the Tories have a big problem in my view, but Reform is nothing without Farage, and I can't see him hanging around in the HoC where 99% of MPs loathe him, nor him wiping the bottoms of lazy constituents in Clacton moaning about everything.

So when Farage fucks off, Reform will die and the Tories have a chance unless most of their supporters are dead by then.

All assuming Labour doesn't foul up big time, but Thatcher droned on for nearly a decade blaming the previous Labour Governments, so Starmer has a meal ticket for some years to come.

In the shorterm if Robert Jenrick is the best leader the Tories can come up with, then they will be irrelevant for the time being.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
3 days ago

Gilfach

"The SDP split never came to anything, merging with the Lib Dems 6 years later."

I thought that until I got a flyer for my local candidate a few weeks back. It turns out that there was a splinter group that have kept the SDP alive. They put up 122 candidates in the recent election.

By *iman2100Man
3 days ago

Glasgow

Reform, like so many "one trick pony" parties, provides something for disgruntled Tories to vote for as they salute the banner of anti-imigration. It won't last.

Having said that, least we forget, the Scots voted SNP for 17 years because their pony, "independence" had better legs. Sadly, the SNP's ability to govern Scotland fell far short of what was required, whilst their Westminister MPs only whined on about underfunding and independence everytime the stood up in the House of Commons.

If the 2026 Hollyrood SMP elections align with the British National results, Scotland may finally be able to move forward, after years of ineffective sniping from the background, and have a linked, like minded Westminister government providing the resources required to carry Scotland into the future.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
3 days ago

Hastings

"Tories are old news

Reform is the new opposition. As someone has said on another thread if Labour don’t sort immigration Reform will have 50 MP’s at the next election. "

But I think we all no how hard this is to sort out.

It's never going to be an easy fix.

And,the problem is not realy immigration its the state of the services not being able to cope with the rate of the growth of the population.

If there where no hospital waiting list, GP's available when you called at 8am, affordable housing for everyone, would immigration be a problem.

By *idnight RamblerMan
3 days ago

Pershore

"Reform, like so many "one trick pony" parties, provides something for disgruntled Tories to vote for as they salute the banner of anti-imigration. It won't last.

Having said that, least we forget, the Scots voted SNP for 17 years because their pony, "independence" had better legs. Sadly, the SNP's ability to govern Scotland fell far short of what was required, whilst their Westminister MPs only whined on about underfunding and independence everytime the stood up in the House of Commons.

If the 2026 Hollyrood SMP elections align with the British National results, Scotland may finally be able to move forward, after years of ineffective sniping from the background, and have a linked, like minded Westminister government providing the resources required to carry Scotland into the future. "

What 'won't last'? Immigration or disgruntled voters? I'd say it's a dead cert they'll both last !!

By *roadShoulderzMan
3 days ago

Petersfield

"The SDP split never came to anything, merging with the Lib Dems 6 years later.

I thought that until I got a flyer for my local candidate a few weeks back. It turns out that there was a splinter group that have kept the SDP alive. They put up 122 candidates in the recent election."

Many thanks for correcting me. I had no idea, and to add to my embarrassment they even stood in my constituency gaining 0.3% of the vote. Every day a school day!

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
3 days ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Have to admit, Starmer killing that Rwanda plan was a good start. We certainly aren't for allowing on better illegal entrants in but that whole plan was bull shit and wouldn't work. The law needs to change. That said, even if Labour do fuck all at least they aren't pointlessly kissing money up the wall pretending they're doing something.

Post new Message to Thread