Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Starmers Cabinet

Jump to newest

By *astandFeisty OP   Couple
6 days ago

Bournemouth

Angela Rayner - Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities

Rachel Reeves - Chancellor of the Exchequer

Pat McFadden - Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

David Lammy - Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs

Yvette Cooper - Secretary of State for the Home Department

John Healey - Secretary of State for Defence

Shabana Mahmood - Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice

Wes Streeting - Secretary of State for Health and Social Care

Bridget Phillipson - Secretary of State for Education

Ed Miliband - Secretary of State for Energy Security and Net Zero

Liz Kendall - Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Jonathan Reynolds - Secretary of State for Business and Trade

Peter Kyle - Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology

Louise Haigh - Secretary of State for Transport

Steve Reed - Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Lisa Nandy - Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport

Hilary Benn - Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

Ian Murray - Secretary of State for Scotland

Jo Stevens - Secretary of State for Wales

Lucy Powell - Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons

Baroness Smith - Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords

Alan Campbell - Chief Whip in the House of Commons

Darren Jones - Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Richard Hermer - Attorney General

Is this a good cabinet or not?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 days ago

Pershore

Seems about right. Personally I wouldn't trust Angela Rayner to run a Tombola stall at the village fete, but maybe she can't do too much harm as deputy PM. We'll have to hope SKS stays in sound health!

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

Yvette Cooper is a yes from me. Professional and highly competent. The rest I don’t know TBH.

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

"Yvette Cooper is a yes from me. Professional and highly competent. The rest I don’t know TBH."

Oh Peter Kyle same attributes and won’t be surprised to see him rise up ranks to more senior position eventually.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

I saw Hilary Benn on Question Time. Very impressive compared to C H-H. I think HB could be very good for Northern Ireland if they too are looking for change. Big decisions for a British Government.

Also Wes Streeting stands out as someone who might be able to turn the NHS around.

All the others seem reasonable although I think Douglas Alexander would be a far better Foreign Secretary than David Lammy. TBH I would have liked David Cameron to stay in the job. Suits him.

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

Ok needed to read properly. Agree re Hilary Benn.

Also Ed Miliband. When he has stood in for Starmer he has been very impressive. I didn’t like him for a long time for stabbing his brother David in the back. But he has grown in me (best not eat another bacon sandwich shock horror!)

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

"Ok needed to read properly. Agree re Hilary Benn.

Also Ed Miliband. When he has stood in for Starmer he has been very impressive. I didn’t like him for a long time for stabbing his brother David in the back. But he has grown in me (best not eat another bacon sandwich shock horror!)"

+1

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

The i Newspaper is running a headline about the new cabinet.

"Meet the Starmtroopers"

Made me laugh

By *ackal1Couple
6 days ago

Manchester

James Timpson was an interesting choice for Prisons Minister. He’s a smart positive guy so hopefully he can fix that mess.

I was surprised Rachel Reeves made her winning speech in a public toilet but hey ho doing thing differently I suppose.

I’m hoping we now have a cabinet made up of grown ups who are all working for the country not for themselves.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

"James Timpson was an interesting choice for Prisons Minister. He’s a smart positive guy so hopefully he can fix that mess.

"

Especially as he owns the UK's largest key cutting chain of shops! That made me laugh.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 days ago

Gilfach

"James Timpson was an interesting choice for Prisons Minister. He’s a smart positive guy so hopefully he can fix that mess."

"Especially as he owns the UK's largest key cutting chain of shops! That made me laugh."

Many of the staff in those key cutting shops are ex-prisoners, so he'll know what he's talking about.

By *ackal1Couple
6 days ago

Manchester

"James Timpson was an interesting choice for Prisons Minister. He’s a smart positive guy so hopefully he can fix that mess.

Especially as he owns the UK's largest key cutting chain of shops! That made me laugh."

Yes it’s is a funny point I agree but his work with prisoners is very impressive. He gives them a chance for a career and a share in profits .

His business seems to do very well with his positive approach.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

Especially as he owns the UK's largest key cutting chain of shops! That made me laugh.

Yes it’s is a funny point I agree but his work with prisoners is very impressive. He gives them a chance for a career and a share in profits .

His business seems to do very well with his positive approach. "

I'm sure he will do a better job than the 14 Tory prisons ministers over the past 14 years....

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"I saw Hilary Benn on Question Time. Very impressive compared to C H-H. I think HB could be very good for Northern Ireland if they too are looking for change. Big decisions for a British Government.

Also Wes Streeting stands out as someone who might be able to turn the NHS around.

All the others seem reasonable although I think Douglas Alexander would be a far better Foreign Secretary than David Lammy. TBH I would have liked David Cameron to stay in the job. Suits him."

Perhaps ask him to defect

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

Also Ed Miliband. When he has stood in for Starmer he has been very impressive. I didn’t like him for a long time for stabbing his brother David in the back. But he has grown in me (best not eat another bacon sandwich shock horror!)"

Grown IN you - sounds like an Alien sequel

By *quirtyndirty!Couple
6 days ago

Nottingham

None have ran a business or indeed have any experience of any business outside of law or the public sector. Will be interesting to the shit show to come

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"None have ran a business or indeed have any experience of any business outside of law or the public sector. Will be interesting to the shit show to come"

None? You sure of that?

If they have experience , irrelevant to the sector, they have transferable skills.

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

"None have ran a business or indeed have any experience of any business outside of law or the public sector. Will be interesting to the shit show to come"

Rachel Reeves HSBC?

David Lammy PWC?

James Timpson. Read the thread?

Angela Rayner Care Worker?

Wes street Ensleigh Insurance?

Etc. Etc.

By *luv2flirtCouple
6 days ago

Manchester

Seeing the shit show we have had for the last 14 years with a cabinet littered with “experienced” business men I don’t think that experience has been relevant in the slightest.

By *oo hotCouple
6 days ago

North West

We have had 14 years of cabinet officials who had zero experience or even interest in their office. In fact some were appointed purely to damage and destroy their office. Now we have a cabinet where at least some posts are filled with people who have experience and deep set knowledge of their brief.

And you think that is a bad thing?

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"None have ran a business or indeed have any experience of any business outside of law or the public sector. Will be interesting to the shit show to come

We have had 14 years of cabinet officials who had zero experience or even interest in their office. In fact some were appointed purely to damage and destroy their office. Now we have a cabinet where at least some posts are filled with people who have experience and deep set knowledge of their brief.

And you think that is a bad thing?"

Akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water as their party didn't win?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
6 days ago

Cumbria

Their job is to run the country, not a shop. Rachel Reeves’ 6 years at the BoE will probably stand her in good stead.

By *ravelmanxxxMan
6 days ago

Durham/ Leeds

Who cares you’ll reap what you sow.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 days ago

nearby

"None have ran a business or indeed have any experience of any business outside of law or the public sector. Will be interesting to the shit show to come

Their job is to run the country, not a shop. Rachel Reeves’ 6 years at the BoE will probably stand her in good stead."

I’m surprised Miatta Fahnbulleh has not been given a finance or business post

Economist with Phd in global development, far more qualified than Rachel Reeves.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 days ago

nearby

"Yvette Cooper is a yes from me. Professional and highly competent."

First class

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

Their job is to run the country, not a shop. Rachel Reeves’ 6 years at the BoE will probably stand her in good stead.

Economist with Phd in global development, far more qualified than Rachel Reeves. "

Possibly too academic? More theoretical than lived experience in that field?

By *9alMan
6 days ago

Bridgend

just seen pics of No 10 with England flags on railings , has he done that to further piss off Emily Thornberry?

By *heffielderCouple
6 days ago

sheffield

David Lammy is a really bad choice

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
6 days ago

Cumbria

Economist with Phd in global development, far more qualified than Rachel Reeves. "

No one is ever going to appoint an MP chancellor on their first day in the job.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 days ago

nearby

"David Lammy is a really bad choice "

“the world doesn’t need any more white saviours”,

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

Also Ed Miliband. When he has stood in for Starmer he has been very impressive. I didn’t like him for a long time for stabbing his brother David in the back. But he has grown in me (best not eat another bacon sandwich shock horror!)

Grown IN you - sounds like an Alien sequel "

Stories I could tell

It was early when I typed that. Needed tea

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

Rachel Reeves HSBC?

David Lammy PWC?

Etc. Etc."

embarrassing when someone posts and then gets schooled

By *roadShoulderzMan
6 days ago

Petersfield

Rachel Reeves HSBC?

David Lammy PWC?

Etc. Etc.

embarrassing when someone posts and then gets schooled"

Probably read it in the Daily Mail....

By *eroy1000Man
6 days ago

milton keynes

"David Lammy is a really bad choice "

Could be interesting though if Trump wins in America given the history between the two

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
6 days ago

nearby

"David Lammy is a really bad choice

Could be interesting though if Trump wins in America given the history between the two"

“ At the prospect of the then-president of the United States visiting Britain, Lammy pledged he would protest on the streets and ‘chain myself to the door of Number 10’. Trump, he said plainly, was ‘a racist KKK and Nazi sympathiser’.” (Spectator)

By *ackal1Couple
6 days ago

Manchester

Could be interesting though if Trump wins in America given the history between the two

“ At the prospect of the then-president of the United States visiting Britain, Lammy pledged he would protest on the streets and ‘chain myself to the door of Number 10’. Trump, he said plainly, was ‘a racist KKK and Nazi sympathiser’.” (Spectator) "

I feel a Love Actually moment coming.

By *heffielderCouple
6 days ago

sheffield

“ At the prospect of the then-president of the United States visiting Britain, Lammy pledged he would protest on the streets and ‘chain myself to the door of Number 10’. Trump, he said plainly, was ‘a racist KKK and Nazi sympathiser’.” (Spectator) "

Exactly, these people will say anything.. just watch him bend the knee if Trump is Elected.

By *ackal1Couple
6 days ago

Manchester

“ At the prospect of the then-president of the United States visiting Britain, Lammy pledged he would protest on the streets and ‘chain myself to the door of Number 10’. Trump, he said plainly, was ‘a racist KKK and Nazi sympathiser’.” (Spectator)

Exactly, these people will say anything.. just watch him bend the knee if Trump is Elected."

Just as Sunak said his government would have integrity. Then an hour later appoints Braverman who even managed to be sacked by Boris for her despicable behaviour.

Or shall we remember Sunak refusing to condemn the genocide in Gaza only to discover his family interests in the offshore oilfield being taken from Gaza by Israel. Never mind the holdings in various companies in Israel.

Saying one thing and doing another is definitely something the last government were very guilty of.

Not being rude to a visiting head of state pales a bit in comparison.

By *uietbloke67Man
5 days ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

I was surprised Rachel Reeves made her winning speech in a public toilet but hey ho doing thing differently I suppose.

I’m hoping we now have a cabinet made up of grown ups who are all working for the country not for themselves. "

James Timpson has made more sense I 10 minutes that the bang em up brigade made in 14 years.

We have plenty of prisons.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
5 days ago

nearby

Exactly, these people will say anything.. just watch him bend the knee if Trump is Elected.

Just as Sunak said his government would have integrity. Then an hour later appoints Braverman who even managed to be sacked by Boris for her despicable behaviour.

Or shall we remember Sunak refusing to condemn the genocide in Gaza only to discover his family interests in the offshore oilfield being taken from Gaza by Israel. Never mind the holdings in various companies in Israel.

Saying one thing and doing another is definitely something the last government were very guilty of.

Not being rude to a visiting head of state pales a bit in comparison. "

Let’s not forget the last labour government took over 400 British service personnel and 500,000 Iraqis to their deaths on the lie of WMD

By *roadShoulderzMan
5 days ago

Petersfield

Let’s not forget the last labour government took over 400 British service personnel and 500,000 Iraqis to their deaths on the lie of WMD "

That's not true. Blair did not have a majority of his own MPs to get the Iraq legislation through the HoC. 84 Labour MPs voted against, only 2 Tories did.The Tories were just as responsible for the illegal war.

I agree Blair was a war- mongering PM, and the responsibility rests with him, as it does with Cameron and Libya.

By *ravelmanxxxMan
5 days ago

Durham/ Leeds

Let’s not forget the last labour government took over 400 British service personnel and 500,000 Iraqis to their deaths on the lie of WMD

That's not true. Blair did not have a majority of his own MPs to get the Iraq legislation through the HoC. 84 Labour MPs voted against, only 2 Tories did.The Tories were just as responsible for the illegal war.

I agree Blair was a war- mongering PM, and the responsibility rests with him, as it does with Cameron and Libya."

So should Blair and Campbell be charged with war crimes???

By *radBoy200Man
5 days ago

Bradford

Rachel Reeves HSBC?

David Lammy PWC?

Etc. Etc.

embarrassing when someone posts and then gets schooled

Probably read it in the Daily Mail...."

By *irldnCouple
5 days ago

Brighton

I’m starting to get a whiff of Copium

By *ackal1Couple
5 days ago

Manchester

Let’s not forget the last labour government took over 400 British service personnel and 500,000 Iraqis to their deaths on the lie of WMD "

Yes they did and it was a crime for which they should be in jail but they didn’t say one thing and do another they said they are going to war and did. It wasn’t saying something then doing the opposite which is the point you stated,

By *roadShoulderzMan
5 days ago

Petersfield

I agree Blair was a war- mongering PM, and the responsibility rests with him, as it does with Cameron and Libya.

So should Blair and Campbell be charged with war crimes???"

Why stop with them? Include all the MPs who voted for the illegal war. And all the Newspaper owners who supported the war?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
5 days ago

Newcastle under Lyme

The whole lot of them will do precisely as much as upper government departments will allow them to do. They'll carry on with the state pension phase out by cutting NI some more.

Post new Message to Thread