FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

What next for the Conservative & Unionist Party?

Jump to newest

By *oo hot OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

North West

Up until 2010, I regarded myself as largely Conservative and voted accordingly (though I did vote for Blair - twice). Since 2010, I haven't been able to vote Conservative as I felt firstly that Cameron was nothing more than a Spiv who lacked substance and then subsequent Prime Ministers focused more on destroying and dividing rather than conserving.

What next then for the Conservatives? Will they eventually become aligned with Reform to offer a harder right outlook for the country and leave Labour and the Lib Dems to occupy the middle ground?

Or will they look back to when their fortunes were better and they owned the centre-right ground and had some of the best statesmen and political grandees?

I would hope for the latter, rather than the former.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

Tim Collins from the UUP must be on another planet anyway if he thinks he can get elected without even living in the six counties!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0705/1458321-watch-uups-tim-collins-defends-campaign-trail-comments/

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
10 weeks ago

golden fields

"Up until 2010, I regarded myself as largely Conservative and voted accordingly (though I did vote for Blair - twice). Since 2010, I haven't been able to vote Conservative as I felt firstly that Cameron was nothing more than a Spiv who lacked substance and then subsequent Prime Ministers focused more on destroying and dividing rather than conserving.

What next then for the Conservatives? Will they eventually become aligned with Reform to offer a harder right outlook for the country and leave Labour and the Lib Dems to occupy the middle ground?

Or will they look back to when their fortunes were better and they owned the centre-right ground and had some of the best statesmen and political grandees?

I would hope for the latter, rather than the former."

In my opinion, it would be better for the country if they returned to proper politics, left behind the divisive nonsense, leave that to Reform, and organised themselves as a sensible opposition party, prioritising what's best for British people.

By *oo hot OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

North West

"Up until 2010, I regarded myself as largely Conservative and voted accordingly (though I did vote for Blair - twice). Since 2010, I haven't been able to vote Conservative as I felt firstly that Cameron was nothing more than a Spiv who lacked substance and then subsequent Prime Ministers focused more on destroying and dividing rather than conserving.

I would hope for the latter, rather than the former.

In my opinion, it would be better for the country if they returned to proper politics, left behind the divisive nonsense, leave that to Reform, and organised themselves as a sensible opposition party, prioritising what's best for British people."

That too is what I would like to think (and hope) might happen.

Not sure it will though.

Brexit unleashed the intolerance genie that has secretly existed in the hearts of many Brits for hundreds of years. I’m not sure that those who have felt enabled to spout intolerance and divisive crap are just going to shut up again for the sake of the Conservative Party.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
9 weeks ago

Border of London

"

Brexit unleashed the intolerance genie that has secretly existed in the hearts of many Brits for hundreds of years."

Secretly?!

Post new Message to Thread