FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Suppose we better start looking at the labour policies now…

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
7 days ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Are there sections of policy that you are interested to see how they are going to implement them…

So for me, I am fascinated to see how they are going to set up Great British Energy….

Also with basically what will become railways nationalisation.. I wonder how many of the train operators will see out the contract, or if they will just hand them over now and use break clauses…

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atEvolutionCouple
7 days ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Yup. The con that is Great British Energy.

That will be my favourite. 8 billion to the corporate capitalists and calling it public.

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

By *altenkommandoMan
7 days ago

milton keynes

Good luck in actually finding any.

By *onica-mayhemWoman
7 days ago

Belfast/dublin

Looking forward to finding out what it's like to be governed from Davos and the WEF. Has to be better than the crap Britain has to offer

By *usybee73Man
7 days ago

in the sticks

cant remember labour having any policies, if they did ... it was flip flopped in a few hours

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

"Yup. The con that is Great British Energy.

That will be my favourite. 8 billion to the corporate capitalists and calling it public.

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

"

I have to agree with this, how they think they can setup an energy company and create hundreds of thousands of jobs by 2030 is outrageous and doomed from the start.

The get out of jail card with all of the manifesto promises, is the fiscal rules which allows them to do nothing.

By *urreyfun38Couple
7 days ago

croydon

More interesting I think will be how the unions behave over the next few months

Will they try flexing their muscle or will they wait to see what the new government does

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

"More interesting I think will be how the unions behave over the next few months

Will they try flexing their muscle or will they wait to see what the new government does "

The BMA were flexing ahead of the GE with nobody to negotiate with.

By *2000ManMan
7 days ago

Worthing

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

"

This. Wind and solar are not reliable anyway.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

This. Wind and solar are not reliable anyway."

Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid.

By *atEvolutionCouple
7 days ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid."

But it's not going to stop starmer giving £8 billion to the very energy companies that are charging high energy costs now.

By *2000ManMan
7 days ago

Worthing

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid."

We also have one of the highest energy costs in Europe.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid.

But it's not going to stop starmer giving £8 billion to the very energy companies that are charging high energy costs now.

"

Didn't suggest it would.

Was just demonstrating that solar and wind are reliable.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

We also have one of the highest energy costs in Europe."

What's this got to do with solar and wind being reliable?

By *ean counterMan
7 days ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

If you dig deep somewhere it will say "right you lot who studied hard at school, studied hard at university, didn't go to the pub as you were too busy finishing assignments, got a job, worked bloody hard and did more hours than you should have, got promoted several times because of your effort, regularly got home at 9pm or later, missed special family events because of work, got promoted again and again and finally now earninga decent salary- we are coming for you for more and more tax to help pay for the lazy bastards who didn't " !

By *ornucopiaMan
7 days ago

Bexley

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

"

Sounds just like a Tory scheme!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

"If you dig deep somewhere it will say "right you lot who studied hard at school, studied hard at university, didn't go to the pub as you were too busy finishing assignments, got a job, worked bloody hard and did more hours than you should have, got promoted several times because of your effort, regularly got home at 9pm or later, missed special family events because of work, got promoted again and again and finally now earninga decent salary- we are coming for you for more and more tax to help pay for the lazy bastards who didn't " ! "

I know you're taking the piss, but there are definitely people out there who think this.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 days ago

Gilfach

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con."

"This. Wind and solar are not reliable anyway."

"Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid."

And looking at the latest figure, taken at 15:20, they're producing 38%. Solar energy is currently producing 15%, and later this evening it will reliably drop to zero.

At the start of the day, wind was producing 13.4 GW, about 56% of demand. Right now it's producing 5GW, about 16% of demand.

That's how reliable 'renewables' are.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

And looking at the latest figure, taken at 15:20, they're producing 38%. Solar energy is currently producing 15%, and later this evening it will reliably drop to zero.

At the start of the day, wind was producing 13.4 GW, about 56% of demand. Right now it's producing 5GW, about 16% of demand.

That's how reliable 'renewables' are."

Yes. Very reliable, producing electricity when it's needed.

Why is renewables in ' '? Are you suggesting the sun will run out of energy soon?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
7 days ago

Central

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Perhaps tidal energy is more your thing?

By *exy_HornyCouple
7 days ago

Leigh

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Why is renewables in ' '? Are you suggesting the sun will run out of energy soon?"

It is not very good in the winter, and really bad at night.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Why is renewables in ' '? Are you suggesting the sun will run out of energy soon?

It is not very good in the winter, and really bad at night."

Very windy in the winter, and we don't need as much electricity at night. Win/win.

By *exy_HornyCouple
7 days ago

Leigh

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Very windy in the winter, and we don't need as much electricity at night. Win/win."

You were talking about the sun.

By *astandFeistyCouple
7 days ago

Bournemouth

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Very windy in the winter, and we don't need as much electricity at night. Win/win."

Data tells us we use more electricity in winter.

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Very windy in the winter, and we don't need as much electricity at night. Win/win.

Data tells us we use more electricity in winter. "

Data also tells us there is more wind on a Sunday, in our house at least after a Sunday Roast

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 days ago

Gilfach

"Why is renewables in ' '? Are you suggesting the sun will run out of energy soon?"

Because it's a silly label. 'Renewable' suggests that it gets used up, and then needs 'renewing', like rechargeable batteries. We don't use up some of the sun's energy during the day and let it recharge every night. We don't turn off all the turbines once a month to let the wind gather itself and build up some more energy.

Call it "naturally sourced", or "infinite", or "non-carbon", or "god-given", or "inexhaustable", just don't call it 'renewable' if there's no renewing going on.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 days ago

Gilfach

"Perhaps tidal energy is more your thing?"

Great British Energy is about to find out just how reliable tidal energy is. They seem to be very keen on handing out grants to start-ups touting tidal ideas.

By *ortySwitchMan
7 days ago

London

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

This. Wind and solar are not reliable anyway."

Pitty we cant generate electricity from rain! This summer alone has been so wet, we could power the fucking death star!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Pitty we cant generate electricity from rain! This summer alone has been so wet, we could power the fucking death star! "

If we could generate electricity from people complaining about electricity generated from non-fossil fuel sources. We'd have enough to run the country indefinitely.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

"Why is renewables in ' '? Are you suggesting the sun will run out of energy soon?

Because it's a silly label. 'Renewable' suggests that it gets used up, and then needs 'renewing', like rechargeable batteries. We don't use up some of the sun's energy during the day and let it recharge every night. We don't turn off all the turbines once a month to let the wind gather itself and build up some more energy.

Call it "naturally sourced", or "infinite", or "non-carbon", or "god-given", or "inexhaustable", just don't call it 'renewable' if there's no renewing going on."

Maybe write a strongly worded letter to your new MP?

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 05/07/24 20:43:45]

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?"

I can't post the link but Google "National Grid: Live" and hit the first result. Gives live data, plus today, this week, this year.

Today's figures:

Fossil Fuels: 16.6%

Renewables: 51.5%

Nuclear & biomass: 24%

The rest came from transfers.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

I can't post the link but Google "National Grid: Live" and hit the first result. Gives live data, plus today, this week, this year.

Today's figures:

"

Just googled as you suggest and 19.7% is the figure for renewables

By *lfasoCouple
7 days ago

South East

Gridwatch dot co dot uk

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

Just googled as you suggest and 19.7% is the figure for renewables "

https://grid.iamkate.com/

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

Just googled as you suggest and 19.7% is the figure for renewables "

It's live data. Changes all the time.

You can look at the day, week, year.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

https://grid.iamkate.com/"

That's the site I use.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use."

Which doesn't state what you're claiming as far as I can see

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

Which doesn't state what you're claiming as far as I can see"

You need to look at the day, not live.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

You need to look at the day, not live. "

Or you could look at week 43.5%, year 38.3% or all 21.8%...take your pick to support your argument

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

Or you could look at week 43.5%, year 38.3% or all 21.8%...take your pick to support your argument "

I have no argument to support.

However as you have shown, renewable energy is getting better, more efficient, more useful.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

Or you could look at week 43.5%, year 38.3% or all 21.8%...take your pick to support your argument

However as you have shown, renewable energy is getting better, more efficient, more useful. "

Except of course the day figure is 19.7%

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

However as you have shown, renewable energy is getting better, more efficient, more useful.

Except of course the day figure is 19.7%"

No, that's the live figure. Today's figure is 51.5% as mentioned.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

No, that's the live figure. Today's figure is 51.5% as mentioned. "

My apologies but your contention is still inaccurate as I'm sure you'll be confirming

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

My apologies but your contention is still inaccurate as I'm sure you'll be confirming "

I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

My apologies but your contention is still inaccurate as I'm sure you'll be confirming

I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make."

Are you a politician? Your claim on renewables is wrong.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

Are you a politician? Your claim on renewables is wrong. "

I haven't made any claims.

If there's a point to make, maybe make it so we can get on with our lives?

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

If there's a point to make, maybe make it so we can get on with our lives?"

"Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9%..." your words, your claim, and you link shows it to be, on the whole, incorrect. Go to bed, your looking silly

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

"Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9%..." your words, your claim, and you link shows it to be, on the whole, incorrect. Go to bed, your looking silly "

Okay. So live data means, what's happening right now, at this moment in time hence "live". Earlier on when I made the post, the national grid was generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid.

My post was made 10 hours ago.

By *mateur100Man
7 days ago

nr faversham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

"Wind and solar are currently generating 48.9%..." your words, your claim, and you link shows it to be, on the whole, incorrect. Go to bed, your looking silly

Okay. So live data means, what's happening right now, at this moment in time hence "live". Earlier on when I made the post, the national grid was generating 48.9% of our electricity in the national grid.

"

For goodness sake do you realise how pathetic that sounds? I could sit and monitor it and post when its suits. Or we can just accept you're wrong and more on. I'm not wasting any more of my time with your nonsense on this topic although, doubtless, you'll be back to get the last word.. sad

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

Your source?

Today's figures:

That's the site I use.

For goodness sake do you realise how pathetic that sounds? I could sit and monitor it and post when its suits. Or we can just accept you're wrong and more on. I'm not wasting any more of my time with your nonsense on this topic although, doubtless, you'll be back to get the last word.. sad "

Do you understand what you've done here?

10 hours ago I quoted a figure for the live energy generation % from renewables.

Now the figure has changed, because it's 10 hours later.

No amount of angry personal attacks will change the facts of what happend here. Maybe take a moment, think through, it's a very simple situation.

By *an DeLyonMan
7 days ago

County Durham

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

I have to agree with this, how they think they can setup an energy company and create hundreds of thousands of jobs by 2030 is outrageous and doomed from the start.

The get out of jail card with all of the manifesto promises, is the fiscal rules which allows them to do nothing. "

Labour is not a socialist party.. it's a Tory lite party

By *eedshandymanMan
7 days ago

leeds

Put all druggies scroungers and thieving scumbags on treadmills be enough energy to power Europe ??

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
7 days ago

golden fields

"Put all druggies scroungers and thieving scumbags on treadmills be enough energy to power Europe ??"

Good plan, 251 of them just lost their jobs. We can put them to work.

By *anJenny 181Couple
6 days ago

Preston

Solar roof panels save us up to 40% off our electricity bill & to be fair have probably helped keep us afloat as we had about £5 left by the end of the month at the worst of the price hike.

We both work full time & don't smoke, we stopped our internet tv phone package & most our luxury items gone.

Are we glad to see the back of the Tory's hell yeah fuck them and their rich friends.

Anyway if a home wind turbine solution could be invented via GB energy then I would definitely be jumping for joy 10% more free energy could half our electricity bill

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

"

How can you call something a con before it has even been set up?

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"If you dig deep somewhere it will say "right you lot who studied hard at school, studied hard at university, didn't go to the pub as you were too busy finishing assignments, got a job, worked bloody hard and did more hours than you should have, got promoted several times because of your effort, regularly got home at 9pm or later, missed special family events because of work, got promoted again and again and finally now earninga decent salary- we are coming for you for more and more tax to help pay for the lazy bastards who didn't " ! "

Tories did that already, or did you sleep through the past 14 years?

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

5 years to do it in.

Total lie, Total con.

So fluctuating weather patterns produce fluctuating energy productions, who'da thunk it. All that proves is that we cannot solely rely on these, and need back ups. Obviously more renewables will produce more.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 days ago

Gilfach

"So fluctuating weather patterns produce fluctuating energy productions, who'da thunk it."

Everybody thunk it. Apart from JTN, who seems to think that solar's ability to produce more during the day at the same time that demand goes up, makes it reliable.

"All that proves is that we cannot solely rely on these, and need back ups."

That was my point.

"Obviously more renewables will produce more."

Assuming you mean ".. will produce more power", yes obviously. Equally obviously, more of the same will mean more power that comes and goes unpredictably, and will make the grid harder to manage. We're already at the point where we regularly ask wind operators to turn off their turbines, to prevent overload of the grid.

Until someone comes up with a method of storing electricity at grid level, we already have more renewables than we can handle.

By *ean counterMan
6 days ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

"If you dig deep somewhere it will say "right you lot who studied hard at school, studied hard at university, didn't go to the pub as you were too busy finishing assignments, got a job, worked bloody hard and did more hours than you should have, got promoted several times because of your effort, regularly got home at 9pm or later, missed special family events because of work, got promoted again and again and finally now earninga decent salary- we are coming for you for more and more tax to help pay for the lazy bastards who didn't " !

Tories did that already, or did you sleep through the past 14 years?"

Looking at my payslip this month I'm guessing you are right but I feel like it's going to get a whole lot worst for the higher paid !

By *irldnCouple
6 days ago

Brighton

"If you dig deep somewhere it will say "right you lot who studied hard at school, studied hard at university, didn't go to the pub as you were too busy finishing assignments, got a job, worked bloody hard and did more hours than you should have, got promoted several times because of your effort, regularly got home at 9pm or later, missed special family events because of work, got promoted again and again and finally now earninga decent salary- we are coming for you for more and more tax to help pay for the lazy bastards who didn't " !

Looking at my payslip this month I'm guessing you are right but I feel like it's going to get a whole lot worst for the higher paid ! "

If you’re a salary man and if Starmer is good on his word, then no increase in IC or NIC. It’ll be CGT, dividends, IHT where they whack us. So small (forgotten) Ltd Co Directors hit again!

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"So fluctuating weather patterns produce fluctuating energy productions, who'da thunk it.

Everybody thunk it. Apart from JTN, who seems to think that solar's ability to produce more during the day at the same time that demand goes up, makes it reliable.

All that proves is that we cannot solely rely on these, and need back ups.

That was my point.

Obviously more renewables will produce more.

Assuming you mean ".. will produce more power", yes obviously. Equally obviously, more of the same will mean more power that comes and goes unpredictably, and will make the grid harder to manage. We're already at the point where we regularly ask wind operators to turn off their turbines, to prevent overload of the grid.

Until someone comes up with a method of storing electricity at grid level, we already have more renewables than we can handle."

Please elaborate on last point.

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

Looking at my payslip this month I'm guessing you are right but I feel like it's going to get a whole lot worst for the higher paid ! "

Being a public sector minion, I can only dream of that problem.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 days ago

Gilfach

"Obviously more renewables will produce more."

"Assuming you mean ".. will produce more power", yes obviously. Equally obviously, more of the same will mean more power that comes and goes unpredictably, and will make the grid harder to manage. We're already at the point where we regularly ask wind operators to turn off their turbines, to prevent overload of the grid.

Until someone comes up with a method of storing electricity at grid level, we already have more renewables than we can handle."

"Please elaborate on last point."

The power grid is a complex thing, and it has to balance supply and demand, minute by minute. Too little supply, and there are power outages. Too much supply, things get overloaded, and there are power outages.

Many generation methods involve long shutdown and startup procedures, so those are left running all the time. You can turn them up and down, but not completely off. If all the renewables are producing lots of power, we end up with too much available, and we have to ask them to turn off the wind turbines, to stop the grid being overloaded.

If we had a method of storing the excess power, there wouldn't be a problem, but we don't. There are some systems available, but they are very limited, and we can't build more.

So right now, we already have too much in the way of 'renewable' power, and adding more would make running the grid harder. Of course, on calm nights, we get way too little 'renewable' power, which is why we still need those oil and gas and nuclear stations running all the time (though the coal station is usually turned off).

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"Obviously more renewables will produce more.

Until someone comes up with a method of storing electricity at grid level, we already have more renewables than we can handle.

Please elaborate on last point.

The power grid is a complex thing, and it has to balance supply and demand, minute by minute. Too little supply, and there are power outages. Too much supply, things get overloaded, and there are power outages.

Many generation methods involve long shutdown and startup procedures, so those are left running all the time. You can turn them up and down, but not completely off. If all the renewables are producing lots of power, we end up with too much available, and we have to ask them to turn off the wind turbines, to stop the grid being overloaded.

If we had a method of storing the excess power, there wouldn't be a problem, but we don't. There are some systems available, but they are very limited, and we can't build more.

So right now, we already have too much in the way of 'renewable' power, and adding more would make running the grid harder. Of course, on calm nights, we get way too little 'renewable' power, which is why we still need those oil and gas and nuclear stations running all the time (though the coal station is usually turned off)."

I admit I didn't know that. I suppose I imagined the grid to be more like a generator/battery. So, we need something like a generator etc to store. Is research ongoing in this area?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
6 days ago

Gilfach

"I suppose I imagined the grid to be more like a generator/battery. So, we need something like a generator etc to store. Is research ongoing in this area?"

Lots of research has been done, over decades. It always bumps up against the laws of physics, and our frustrating inability to manipulate stuff at the atomic level.

But we've gone too far from the thread topic. We should either start a new thread, or do this via PM.

By *melie LALWoman
6 days ago

Peterborough

"I suppose I imagined the grid to be more like a generator/battery. So, we need something like a generator etc to store. Is research ongoing in this area?

Lots of research has been done, over decades. It always bumps up against the laws of physics, and our frustrating inability to manipulate stuff at the atomic level.

But we've gone too far from the thread topic. We should either start a new thread, or do this via PM."

It's fine when threads take on a life of their own. It's relevant

By *wosmilersCouple
4 days ago

Heathrowish

The small boats approach seems to be adding further bureaucracy to what we already have.

What is needed is a policy steer.

We already have a set of laws that can deal with the criminality of the smugglers.....imprisonment if found guilty of facilitation, financial control and confiscation of assets for convicted smugglers, deportation of convicted smugglers who are non UK passport holders.

Dealing with the smugglers in the same way as terrorists? What else do the authorities need? Certainly not more highly paid managers with uniforms and gold braid.

Post new Message to Thread