Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

SNP wipeout…

Jump to newest

By *irldn OP   Couple
7 days ago

Brighton

Down from 45 to 8 seats! Is that the end of support for Scottish independence?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
7 days ago

in Lancashire

It's gone for a decade, labour have been lent votes by people who see the common issues we all share as more pressing than leaving the union..

That could change in five years..

By *irldn OP   Couple
7 days ago

Brighton

Gone up to 9 whoop whoop

By *oxychick35Couple
7 days ago

thornaby

"It's gone for a decade, labour have been lent votes by people who see the common issues we all share as more pressing than leaving the union..

That could change in five years.."

a decade Atleast probably 2

By *altenkommandoMan
7 days ago

milton keynes

So much for this being their democratic mandate for independence.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

"Down from 45 to 8 seats! Is that the end of support for Scottish independence?"

I think it is an end to the party alienating the people of Scotland

By *ANDA!Man
7 days ago

DUMFRIES

I think this time round it's been a case of many ex Labour voters who have voted SNP in the past few years returning back to Labour JUST to end the perpetual Tory rule. My son was one. He would normally vote SNP, but a tactical Labour vote was the only way to get the Tories out. We'll see what the concensus of the country is come the next Scottish elections

By *irldn OP   Couple
7 days ago

Brighton

I think our Scottish cousins need to just accept when they have been conquered and get on with it

By *atEvolutionCouple
7 days ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

"Down from 45 to 8 seats! Is that the end of support for Scottish independence?"

Truly well deserved. Brought about by a dynasty of self-aggrandizing liars and illusionists, and quite possibly one or two criminals. It's not the end of support for IndyReffing but will take it back by more than 15 years I guess.

By *wosmilersCouple
7 days ago

Heathrowish

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting."

If you know, you know

By *eandmrsjones69Couple
7 days ago

Middle England

"I think this time round it's been a case of many ex Labour voters who have voted SNP in the past few years returning back to Labour JUST to end the perpetual Tory rule. My son was one. He would normally vote SNP, but a tactical Labour vote was the only way to get the Tories out. We'll see what the concensus of the country is come the next Scottish elections"

Are you being serious? If every seat in Scotland went to the SNP it would still have got rid of the tories.

This was an anti SNP vote; to try to read it any other way is delusional.

By *ootsguyMan
7 days ago

Limavady

What a deluded comment. The SNP have been obliterated, it’s nothing to do with tactical voting.

By *2000ManMan
7 days ago

Worthing

Sturgeon banging on about independance did not do the snp any favours.

By *ornyone30Man
7 days ago

ABERDEEN

Definitely an anti snp message put out there but you don't just change your mind on the constitution question like that. Snp only have themselves to blame for dilly dallying the last 10 years

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
7 days ago

Cumbria

According to opinion polls the support for independence is pretty static, this seems more like the result of poor performance in the Scottish parliament.

By *ornyone30Man
7 days ago

ABERDEEN

"According to opinion polls the support for independence is pretty static, this seems more like the result of poor performance in the Scottish parliament."

100%

By *atEvolutionCouple
6 days ago

Somebody sent me a message to tell me that the SNP have more seats in the camper van than in Parliament.

By *idnight RamblerMan
6 days ago

Pershore

No! The issue will come to prominence again in a decade or so. Eventually both NI and Scotland will leave the Union. Wales less likely.

By *eroy1000Man
6 days ago

milton keynes

Definitely a blow for them but elections to the Scottish parliament are more important in regards to the independence question I would have thought. If they go down in that then yes it puts the independence question on hold for the time being at least

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
6 days ago

Glasgow

From people I've spoken to who usually vote SNP but didn't this time. The main factors were Sturgeon's stubborn support for the Self Gender ID bill. The stench of corruption with her husband.

They still support independence. Its similar to the tory voters fleeing the Conservatives. It might be temporary.

By *lixerMan
6 days ago

Glasgow

Hopefully Ireland will break up the YUK before we do, and fair play, they deserve it.

By *luv2flirtCouple
6 days ago

Manchester

Could this also be the end of the mandate for Brexit too if we take the same measure? Remember Boris ran with 100% Tory party support for Brexit. It was the only policy he fought on.

I feel the Scottish voters are more worried about their costs of living, education and social provision. The SNP appear to have failed to run their country well in the Scottish voters opinion. Independence was irrelevant to them in this vote.

By *heffielderCouple
6 days ago

sheffield

[Removed by poster at 06/07/24 16:26:37]

By *heffielderCouple
6 days ago

sheffield

"Could this also be the end of the mandate for Brexit too if we take the same measure? Remember Boris ran with 100% Tory party support for Brexit. It was the only policy he fought on.

I feel the Scottish voters are more worried about their costs of living, education and social provision. The SNP appear to have failed to run their country well in the Scottish voters opinion. Independence was irrelevant to them in this vote.

"

No, not at all... rejoining the EU is not part of the labour manifesto. Maybe if the Libdems won with 400+ seats your analogy would make sense..

By *mileyculturebelfastMan
6 days ago

belfast

Things you like to see

By *luv2flirtCouple
6 days ago

Manchester

"Could this also be the end of the mandate for Brexit too if we take the same measure? Remember Boris ran with 100% Tory party support for Brexit. It was the only policy he fought on.

No, not at all... rejoining the EU is not part of the labour manifesto. Maybe if the Libdems won with 400+ seats your analogy would make sense.."

Hmmm I think not at all is perhaps trying to shut the door too hard. The Lib Dem’s have won seats in Scotland and England as well as the sitting on the fence Labour Party so if you claim the dropping of the SNP is 100% against independence then by default those who did not vote conservative must have a certain percentage of anti Brexit. Slightly blurry comment here but you get my drift I hope.

By *wosmilersCouple
4 days ago

Heathrowish

No, not at all... rejoining the EU is not part of the labour manifesto. Maybe if the Libdems won with 400+ seats your analogy would make sense..

Hmmm I think not at all is perhaps trying to shut the door too hard. The Lib Dem’s have won seats in Scotland and England as well as the sitting on the fence Labour Party so if you claim the dropping of the SNP is 100% against independence then by default those who did not vote conservative must have a certain percentage of anti Brexit. Slightly blurry comment here but you get my drift I hope. "

The train has left the station.

Perhaps people should consider hoping for a better relationship with the EU?

Is there any tangible evidence of the costs if we rejoin or would this be considered as just an ideological aspiration or a flight of fancy?

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

More Scots supported SNP than the reform vote share ... Yet people will argue their political agenda has relevance still...

By *eedsmale36Man
4 days ago

Leeds

"Somebody sent me a message to tell me that the SNP have more seats in the camper van than in Parliament. "

Love it

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
3 days ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Jimmy Cranky and her husband feathering their own nest probably didn't help much. Neither did that racist Humza's blasphemy bill.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 days ago

Nicola Sturgeon branded 'Stalin's wee sister' in angry broadside by SNP veteran

Jim Sillars unleashed his fury at the state of the SNP in an open letter to members.

While Jim Sillars needs to get a grip on his comparative sense of history, his comments made me laugh, lots.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-branded-stalins-wee-33198709

By *lydebuilt69Man
2 days ago

EK

The SNP have been the biggest blockers to the Independence movement for the last 10 years.

It has been there for the taking at times in the last decade but they never reached for it.

Independence will simply make the SNP redundant.

The dream will never die though. This simply reminds the SNP that they don't hold the monopoly on Independence and cannot take votes for granted because of it.

By *atEvolutionCouple
2 days ago

Independence will not be on the vote any time soon, my guess it at least 2 UK parliaments.

Post new Message to Thread