Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

IDs needed

Jump to newest

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
7 days ago

Peterborough

I wonder whether the need for IDs has made a difference in turn out.

My guess is yes. I reckon we will have a lower turn out than 2019 which was 63.7%

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
7 days ago

Peterborough

"I wonder whether the need for IDs has made a difference in turn out.

My guess is yes. I reckon we will have a lower turn out than 2019 which was 63.7%"

67.3% oops

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

The low turnout will be due in the main to tory voters refusing to vote. Those tory voters that do go out to vote will put their X elsewhere, and only hardcore tory voters will vote tory.

The country is predominantly conservative, for another party to win will always be attributed to a low turnout.

By *itonthesideWoman
7 days ago

Glasgow

You could use a passport, driving license, blue badge, bus pass , even a photo oyster card and if you had none apply for free voter ID.

If the turnout is down i think it has more to do with people being fed up with all of the options on offer than the need to bring ID

By *AFKA HovisMan
7 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The low turnout will be due in the main to tory voters refusing to vote. Those tory voters that do go out to vote will put their X elsewhere, and only hardcore tory voters will vote tory.

The country is predominantly conservative, for another party to win will always be attributed to a low turnout."

given we are told that the youth need to get off their arse and vote, I'm not sure you can argue that so much.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
7 days ago

Central

I'd like the law changed, to remove this unnecessary requirement. There was never justification for it. We need fewer obstacles and difficulties placed, that harm democracy

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

"The low turnout will be due in the main to tory voters refusing to vote. Those tory voters that do go out to vote will put their X elsewhere, and only hardcore tory voters will vote tory.

The country is predominantly conservative, for another party to win will always be attributed to a low turnout.given we are told that the youth need to get off their arse and vote, I'm not sure you can argue that so much.

"

The vote count is pretty much indicating my initial post, although that could change.

We will no doubt discuss this point further once the dust settles

By *AFKA HovisMan
7 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The country is predominantly conservative, for another party to win will always be attributed to a low turnout.given we are told that the youth need to get off their arse and vote, I'm not sure you can argue that so much.

The vote count is pretty much indicating my initial post, although that could change.

We will no doubt discuss this point further once the dust settles "

I'd agree it's a lower turnout and that's gonna hit Tories. But that doesn't mean the country is conservative. The perennial non voters may not be conservative especially of they tend to be young.

By *azzler2Man
7 days ago

halifax

What’s wrong with having to have or carry id when you go on holiday you have to show to book in hotels to change money some places make you carry them always so what’s wrong with them I for one have no problem carrying id

By *ophieslutTV/TS
7 days ago

Central

"What’s wrong with having to have or carry id when you go on holiday you have to show to book in hotels to change money some places make you carry them always so what’s wrong with them I for one have no problem carrying id"

Other countries make their own rules and laws, often in relation to their experience

The UK has no voting fraud experience that justifies this significant change that has cost a lot to implement and manage. Many people have no ID as the UK, unlike other countries, has no requirement for citizen ID

By *azzler2Man
7 days ago

halifax

May be we should would help what’s wrong with everyone carrying if if you have nothing to hide

By *exy_HornyCouple
7 days ago

Leigh

My guess is yes. I reckon we will have a lower turn out than 2019 which was 63.7%"

Why would it make a difference?

We all voted, including our 18 year old daughter. She just took her driving license, but could have used her passport.

What's the problem?

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
7 days ago

Peterborough

My guess is yes. I reckon we will have a lower turn out than 2019 which was 63.7%

We all voted, including our 18 year old daughter. She just took her driving license, but could have used her passport.

What's the problem?"

You don't find issues that may affect the percentage of electorate actually turning out to vote interesting?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 days ago

Gilfach

"Why would it make a difference?

What's the problem?"

"You don't find issues that may affect the percentage of electorate actually turning out to vote interesting?"

I don't see that it does affect the percentage of voters turning out

Having had to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, the process is: take a photo of yourself, upload it to the website, enter name and address, press send. It turns up a week later in the post.

Given that libraries offer free internet access, there's no barrier to anyone getting their ID.

By *estivalMan
7 days ago

borehamwood

Place where i work none of us voted i meen there are only 12 of us there now so not loads, a cpl of them are like me and never vote, the rest of them didnt bother because they didnt want to vote for any of them

By *ostindreamsMan
7 days ago

London

I don't see this as a problem. At some point, we need to treat people as adults. Getting an ID isn't that hard.

By *lan157Man
7 days ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I don't think it's unreasonable for someone presenting at a polling station to prove they are the person listed on the electoral roll. It's democracy. The list of available proofs is long and there are safeguards. Anyone who forgets their ID is sent home to get it and come back later .

By *ackal1Couple
7 days ago

Manchester

Generally it’s the poor who live in deprived areas who don’t have access to ID.

They don’t have a driving licence or a passport and chances are the local library is closed.

Access to facilities or in fact knowledge on options is worse than many realise.

The conservatives knew it was more than likely the poor would fail to have ID and therefore be less able to vote Labour. It’s a US Republican playbook to remove people’s engagement.

There was no issue regarding voter fraud in the U.K. so it was a fake solution to a non existent problem.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

We will no doubt discuss this point further once the dust settles I'd agree it's a lower turnout and that's gonna hit Tories. But that doesn't mean the country is conservative. The perennial non voters may not be conservative especially of they tend to be young. "

The country has generally voted for conservative leadership over others around 33% more since 1900, obviously not at this GE.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

"Generally it’s the poor who live in deprived areas who don’t have access to ID.

They don’t have a driving licence or a passport and chances are the local library is closed.

Access to facilities or in fact knowledge on options is worse than many realise.

The conservatives knew it was more than likely the poor would fail to have ID and therefore be less able to vote Labour. It’s a US Republican playbook to remove people’s engagement.

There was no issue regarding voter fraud in the U.K. so it was a fake solution to a non existent problem. "

This is rather a lot of assumption

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

"Generally it’s the poor who live in deprived areas who don’t have access to ID.

There was no issue regarding voter fraud in the U.K. so it was a fake solution to a non existent problem.

This is rather a lot of assumption"

Actually stats do back that up. I seem to recall that you can count the number of cases of voter fraud on a two fingered glove.

Let’s be honest here. Voter ID and Boundary changes were all Tory Tinkering to favour them. Hasn’t worked clearly!

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

Actually stats do back that up. I seem to recall that you can count the number of cases of voter fraud on a two fingered glove.

Let’s be honest here. Voter ID and Boundary changes were all Tory Tinkering to favour them. Hasn’t worked clearly!"

Voter ID can be provided for free, it has nothing to do with underhand vote rigging, that is simply people going left field and jumping on the rumour mill.

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Let’s be honest here. Voter ID and Boundary changes were all Tory Tinkering to favour them. Hasn’t worked clearly!

Voter ID can be provided for free, it has nothing to do with underhand vote rigging, that is simply people going left field and jumping on the rumour mill.

"

No! That was the reason the Tories used to introduce it. A non-issue they made up. And the people least likely to vote are poorer who also happen to be least likely to have a passport or driving licence and most likely to be put off voting if it isn’t really easy and they have to do something (like apply for ID).

By *ackal1Couple
7 days ago

Manchester

This is rather a lot of assumption"

I’m a volunteer non executive director of a large charity. So no it’s not assumptions it’s personal knowledge from first hand experience.

It’s is a sneaky underhand exploitation of the less well off. I’ll repeat, there has been no major voting fraud in the U.K.

Why was it so important to fix a non existent problem?

The misleading of the public by our politicians is a fundamental example of the truly rotten state of our politics. I’m pointing at all parties.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

I’m a volunteer non executive director of a large charity. So no it’s not assumptions it’s personal knowledge from first hand experience.

It’s is a sneaky underhand exploitation of the less well off. I’ll repeat, there has been no major voting fraud in the U.K.

The misleading of the public by our politicians is a fundamental example of the truly rotten state of our politics. I’m pointing at all parties. "

Charity is hardly unbiased is it? You are making assumptions and there are plenty of council, government and charities that are geared up to offering free ID.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

No! That was the reason the Tories used to introduce it. A non-issue they made up. And the people least likely to vote are poorer who also happen to be least likely to have a passport or driving licence and most likely to be put off voting if it isn’t really easy and they have to do something (like apply for ID)."

Most likely?

By *uietbloke67Man
7 days ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

I tend to agree with you as a generalisation, it is a ludicrous system that means democracy is hinged on a bit of filment paper.

By *reenleavesCouple
7 days ago

North Wales

The misleading of the public by our politicians is a fundamental example of the truly rotten state of our politics. I’m pointing at all parties. "

All of this! A friend of ours was volunteering at our polling station yesterday. They said turnout among younger people was higher than they'd noticed in previous elections. Also they'd had to turn away mostly older, Tory leaning, voters who showed up with no ID and refused to return with it.

Seems like the ID requirement to dissuade the young and the poor was a bit of an own goal

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

The misleading of the public by our politicians is a fundamental example of the truly rotten state of our politics. I’m pointing at all parties.

All of this! A friend of ours was volunteering at our polling station yesterday. They said turnout among younger people was higher than they'd noticed in previous elections. Also they'd had to turn away mostly older, Tory leaning, voters who showed up with no ID and refused to return with it.

Seems like the ID requirement to dissuade the young and the poor was a bit of an own goal "

What your friend saw was change not being adapted by older people as quickly as the younger generations, which is normal.

It will bed in...

By *ackal1Couple
7 days ago

Manchester

Charity is hardly unbiased is it? You are making assumptions and there are plenty of council, government and charities that are geared up to offering free ID. "

Bias is not relevant in relation to actual facts.

The first hand knowledge of unbelievable deprivation in this so called rich country is actually shocking.

Of course there are those who play the system just as those top 1% who play the tax avoidance system but to ignore the very real fact of how a great many people live in this country by saying it’s ok there are charities is very uncharitable of you.

Through my role I have encountered uneducated poor people who are not benefit cheats or scroungers or work shy they just fall through the system snd now due to scathing cutbacks there is no safety net.

The old charitable trust donators are overwhelmed with requests and can’t cope. Recently one government pot of £7m was offered towards mental health charities. That’s 10p per person in the UK for reference.

Thousands of charities applied and as you’d expect most failed.

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

Charity is hardly unbiased is it? You are making assumptions and there are plenty of council, government and charities that are geared up to offering free ID.

The first hand knowledge of unbelievable deprivation in this so called rich country is actually shocking.

Of course there are those who play the system just as those top 1% who play the tax avoidance system but to ignore the very real fact of how a great many people live in this country by saying it’s ok there are charities is very uncharitable of you.

Through my role I have encountered uneducated poor people who are not benefit cheats or scroungers or work shy they just fall through the system snd now due to scathing cutbacks there is no safety net.

The old charitable trust donators are overwhelmed with requests and can’t cope. Recently one government pot of £7m was offered towards mental health charities. That’s 10p per person in the UK for reference.

"

I'm not questioning your charitable credentials, or how hard people are finding things right now.

I simply do not agree with the conspiracies around voter ID. It will level out and change takes a while to settle in.

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

No! That was the reason the Tories used to introduce it. A non-issue they made up. And the people least likely to vote are poorer who also happen to be least likely to have a passport or driving licence and most likely to be put off voting if it isn’t really easy and they have to do something (like apply for ID).

Most likely? "

Yes. The group least likely to have passports or driving licences align with those also least likely to vote. The last thing they need is any kind of barrier requiring them to actually need to do something (apply for ID even if free, still takes time) to enable them to do something (vote) they often don’t bother to do (for various reasons).

If you add friction into a process it restricts the flow of the process.

This was a cynical ploy by the Tories that only favoured them.

By *AFKA HovisMan
7 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

What's the problem?

You don't find issues that may affect the percentage of electorate actually turning out to vote interesting?

I don't see that it does affect the percentage of voters turning out

Having had to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, the process is: take a photo of yourself, upload it to the website, enter name and address, press send. It turns up a week later in the post.

Given that libraries offer free internet access, there's no barrier to anyone getting their ID."

did you apply out of curiosity or do you not have any form of ID otherwise ?

By *otMe66Man
7 days ago

Terra Firma

Most likely?

Yes. The group least likely to have passports or driving licences align with those also least likely to vote. The last thing they need is any kind of barrier requiring them to actually need to do something (apply for ID even if free, still takes time) to enable them to do something (vote) they often don’t bother to do (for various reasons).

This was a cynical ploy by the Tories that only favoured them."

What you are saying the group less likely to vote at all are less likely to vote even more because they now need ID?

If that is what you see as a barrier to making voting a little more secure, great

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Most likely?

This was a cynical ploy by the Tories that only favoured them.

What you are saying the group less likely to vote at all are less likely to vote even more because they now need ID?

If that is what you see as a barrier to making voting a little more secure, great "

A) No evidence voting needed to be made more secure.

B) Surely we should want to encourage more people to take part in our democratic process not dissuade them and have less?

By *ackal1Couple
7 days ago

Manchester

I'm not questioning your charitable credentials, or how hard people are finding things right now.

I simply do not agree with the conspiracies around voter ID. It will level out and change takes a while to settle in.

"

I respect your view but still cannot square the circle of a move which by default will exclude the more disadvantaged of society.

Especially as there was no issue around fraud by voters.

Interestingly any larger scale fraud found in this country has been after ballots have been returned so nothing to do with the voting process.

Wouldn’t it be a better option to spend the money wasted on the new ID system on a larger donation around that mental health pot?

It’s populist politics aimed at reaffirming people ignorant bias . Blame the cheats , blame the boats , blame the EU , they have run out of people to blame and run out of distraction ideas.

Dead cat anyone?

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
7 days ago

Peterborough

I respect your view but still cannot square the circle of a move which by default will exclude the more disadvantaged of society.

Interestingly any larger scale fraud found in this country has been after ballots have been returned so nothing to do with the voting process.

Wouldn’t it be a better option to spend the money wasted on the new ID system on a larger donation around that mental health pot?

It’s populist politics aimed at reaffirming people ignorant bias . Blame the cheats , blame the boats , blame the EU , they have run out of people to blame and run out of distraction ideas.

Dead cat anyone? "

Larry is still about.

By *ackal1Couple
7 days ago

Manchester

Dead cat anyone?

Larry is still about."

. Let’s hope he’s not chosen as a distraction anytime soon!

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
7 days ago

Gilfach

"did you apply out of curiosity or do you not have any form of ID otherwise ?"

I have the usual forms of ID, but my appearance has changed significantly since they were created, so I got a VAC just to be sure there were no issues at the polling station.

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

Dead cat anyone?

Larry is still about."

If Trump wins and gets a state visit Larry will make himself scarce as he hates being grabbed

By *irldnCouple
7 days ago

Brighton

"did you apply out of curiosity or do you not have any form of ID otherwise ?

I have the usual forms of ID, but my appearance has changed significantly since they were created, so I got a VAC just to be sure there were no issues at the polling station."

Still using fab pictures hey

By *exy_HornyCouple
7 days ago

Leigh

What's the problem?

"

I can't understand the problem. Everyone we know has ID. If they did't, then voter ID was free. The council election was a short time ago so anyone who was turned away then had plenty of time to sort ID out.

Having said that, the bigger problem is postal votes. They used to only be available to those with a really good excuse and were a few % of the votes. Now anyone can get them they are a quarter of the votes and there are no ID checks.

By *ustaboutSaneMan
7 days ago

My World

What's the problem?

"

Apathy and discontentment in the alternative being just as bad, so little will actually change in their thinking is my take on the turn %.

By *itonthesideWoman
7 days ago

Glasgow

" Especially as there was no issue around fraud by voters."

The way i see it is i didnt wait til i had been knocked down to start looking both ways before crossing the road.

You don’t have to wait til something has gone wrong to close up a gap of risk that it could

Post new Message to Thread