Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

List of Tory gaffes

Jump to newest

By *aunchyrabbits OP   Couple
1 week ago

West Dorset

Can my fellow fabsters help me put together a comprehensive list of Conservative Gaffes / scandals in the 2024 general election campaign. There has been so many at this point I'm struggling to remember.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idnight RamblerMan
1 week ago

Pershore

Starting at the beginning:-

Standing in the pouring rain announcing a GE to a backdrop track of Things Can Only Get Better.

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Petersfield

"Starting at the beginning:-

Standing in the pouring rain announcing a GE to a backdrop track of Things Can Only Get Better."

Day 2: Launching the campaign at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, promoting a question about sinking ships, and forgetting his predecessor was also finished off by an iceberg (lettuce)

1 week ago

West Dorset

How could anyone forget that

I've got a list started

1 week ago

West Dorset

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Petersfield

Standing in the pouring rain announcing a GE to a backdrop track of Things Can Only Get Better.

Day 2: Launching the campaign at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, promoting a question about sinking ships, and forgetting his predecessor was also finished off by an iceberg (lettuce)"

Day 3: Officially releasing a photograph of Rishi standing under an EXIT sign whilst briefing journalists on an aeroplane.

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Petersfield

Day 2: Launching the campaign at the Titanic Quarter in Belfast, promoting a question about sinking ships, and forgetting his predecessor was also finished off by an iceberg (lettuce)

Day 3: Officially releasing a photograph of Rishi standing under an EXIT sign whilst briefing journalists on an aeroplane."

Day 4: Michael Gove's announcement that he is quitting is headline's on most papers. Gove fears he won't win his seat. A very well known Tory. The timing couldn't have been worse for Sunak.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
1 week ago

in Lancashire

Wales football teams chances in the Euros..

1 week ago

West Dorset

Ok in no particular order and after a quick Google to jog my memory...

Announcing the election in the rain, to the New Labour theme song, "Things can only get better"

Sky news reported "kicked out" of Tory campaign launch while on air.

Staged Questions from Tory Councillors

Asking the Welsh in a Brewery (tee total PM) if they are looking forward to the euros.

Upside Down Union Jack - Conservatives in distress.

Interview in Titanic quarter - Sinking Ship - predecessor also sunk by an Iceburg (lettuce)

Literally building a red wall.

Putting a camera behind Sunak - audience reactions.

Failing to play football

Mickey Mouse.

Labour turning an attack ad, making it look like Sunak is endorsing them.

78 MPs not standing at the election - rats deserting sinking ship

Laughing at a GP

Airplane Exits signs

Leaving D-Day early for ITV interview, rumoured to spite the french.

Apologising for being late in that interview because D-day overran.

Betting Scandal

Craig Williams - Parliamentary Private Sectary

Laura Sanders - Candidate for Bristol North West

Tony Lee - Conservative Party director of Campaigns

Prime ministers close protection officer

Nick Mason - Chief data officer.

Twitter post - betting on labour - as the betting scandal breaks

Leadership debate - Repeatedly lying about £2000 tax rises - to only be proved to be lying the next day.

Being hostile to a female question about Rwanda and leaving the ECHR and being boo'd and SHAME'd

National Service pushback, paid by leveling up fund,

Sheep running away from Sunak and Cameron.

Veterens Minister attacking former royal marines veteran for his military record, that he can't talk about because of official secrets

Conservative MPs using Red / green on leaflets to trick people.

Avoiding conservative branding or putting photos of Nigel Farage on leaflet.

Conservative Chairman Richard Holden parachuted into safe seat 300 miles away from former constituency.

Richard Holden refusing to answer question, going on a tangent about Labour's policy to tax private school fees.

Grant Shaps - scare tactics, we have lost, don't let labour get a super majority.

Photobombed by the Lib Dems and deputy leader Daisy Cooper, another small boat he failed to stop.

Grant Shaps hanging up on Sky when told he is predicted to lose his seat.

Suella Braverman cringe tiktok.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Not quite your request but…

“This week, Housing Secretary Michael Gove suggested it may be Ms Truss’s fault if the Conservatives lose the election.

He told The Daily Telegraph that the Tories’ chances of re-election have taken “a bit of a knock” because of the former prime minister’s disastrous mini-Budget, although he did not name his former colleague in his remarks, and simply referred to the “period between Boris and Rishi”.

Mr Gove said: “One of the challenges in particular that we face is the reputation for sound economic management, which is essential to Conservative success, took a bit of a knock in the period between Boris and Rishi.”

1 week ago

in Lancashire

Sunak is toast, Gove saying the betting scandal is as bad as partygate is damning and probably just reflecting the chatter in the hierarchy of the party after the election..

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

Sunaks photoshoot at a petrol station during the fuel price rises, in a borrowed Kia Rio, then interviewed on BBC claiming he drives a Vw golf, when he actually has four luxury cars including a Range rover

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/millionaire-rishi-sunak-actually-owns-26578755.amp

1 week ago

in Lancashire

And apparently the view that the Rwanda (money for old rope) scheme is crap is shared by a PPS who has worked on it for two years..

Casting the runes this far the only objective assessment is a bit of a shit show..

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

Deserting D Day veterans at 80th anniversary commemorative event tops the list.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

"Sunaks photoshoot at a petrol station during the fuel price rises, in a borrowed Kia Rio, then interviewed on BBC claiming he drives a Vw golf, when he actually has four luxury cars including a Range rover

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/millionaire-rishi-sunak-actually-owns-26578755.amp"

Yeah but, no but couldn't afford Sky innit..

1 week ago

in Lancashire

"Deserting D Day veterans at 80th anniversary commemorative event tops the list. "

That's his own 'The Queen sat alone' moment, utterly damning..

1 week ago

West Dorset

"Yeah but, no but couldn't afford Sky innit.."

I had forgotten that one

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
1 week ago

Kent

The pouring rain announcement set the tone and it's all been downhill since then

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

"Sunak is toast, Gove saying the betting scandal is as bad as partygate is damning and probably just reflecting the chatter in the hierarchy of the party after the election..

"

He stated that? What a twat. Partygate was unforgivable and unforgettable. The betting won't be remembered in a couple of years time.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

Sunak interviewed ‘ I have no working class friends’

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

When asked about 2000 food banks delivering 3 million meals under Conservative Government austerity, MP Jacob Rees-Mogg said the rapid increase in food banks showed a “rather uplifting” picture of a compassionate country.

By *melie LALWoman
1 week ago

Peterborough

"Sunak interviewed ‘ I have no friends’ "

FTFY

1 week ago

in Lancashire

"Sunak is toast, Gove saying the betting scandal is as bad as partygate is damning and probably just reflecting the chatter in the hierarchy of the party after the election..

He stated that? What a twat. Partygate was unforgivable and unforgettable. The betting won't be remembered in a couple of years time."

He did yes..

Could be deflecting or projecting the mood in the party..

By *aturemaleMan
1 week ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

He stated that? What a twat. Partygate was unforgivable and unforgettable. The betting won't be remembered in a couple of years time."

The betting scandal may be remembered if there are prosecutions that arise from it.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

"Sunaks photoshoot at a petrol station during the fuel price rises, in a borrowed Kia Rio, then interviewed on BBC claiming he drives a Vw golf, when he actually has four luxury cars including a Range rover

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/millionaire-rishi-sunak-actually-owns-26578755.amp

Yeah but, no but couldn't afford Sky innit.."

To be fair to Sunak (yeah I know) he was talking about when he was a kid and his patents could not afford Sky.

TBH I am not surprised! Have you seen the fees for Winchester College?

1 week ago

in Lancashire

To be fair to Sunak (yeah I know) he was talking about when he was a kid and his patents could not afford Sky.

TBH I am not surprised! Have you seen the fees for Winchester College?"

Mucho expensive?

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Mucho expensive?

"

Don’t know what it was back then but…

For 2023/24, the fee is £49,152 per annum (£16,384 per term) for boarding pupils and £36,369 per annum (£12,123 per term) for day pupils.

1 week ago

in Lancashire

Mucho expensive?

For 2023/24, the fee is £49,152 per annum (£16,384 per term) for boarding pupils and £36,369 per annum (£12,123 per term) for day pupils."

Well beyond the reach of many..

By *eroy1000Man
1 week ago

milton keynes

"Sunak interviewed ‘ I have no working class friends’ "

To be fair, that is probably accurate. Still SKS father was a tool maker so man of the people at the helm come July 5th

By *isterBuckMan
1 week ago

Birmingham

Mucho expensive?

For 2023/24, the fee is £49,152 per annum (£16,384 per term) for boarding pupils and £36,369 per annum (£12,123 per term) for day pupils.

Well beyond the reach of many.."

Is that with or without VAT?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
1 week ago

Central

There is now an additional member being investigated in the betting fee fiasco. Nick Mason, their chief data officer, has taken a leave of absence.

I guess his data analysis may have been used to try to serve him well.

By *irldnCouple
1 week ago

Brighton

Mucho expensive?

Is that with or without VAT?"

Without. Current fees.

It is also a good example of how there is a huge difference between private schools and really elite private schools. Average fees are £15k a year. Still way beyond the means of most people BUT those with extra talented kids can get scholarships and low(er) income families can be offered bursaries.

The point is that the Sunaks went to one of the most elite higher end schools so trying to claim his family were not wealthy is a nonsense.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

Mucho expensive?

Is that with or without VAT?

Without. Current fees.

It is also a good example of how there is a huge difference between private schools and really elite private schools. Average fees are £15k a year. Still way beyond the means of most people BUT those with extra talented kids can get scholarships and low(er) income families can be offered bursaries.

The point is that the Sunaks went to one of the most elite higher end schools so trying to claim his family were not wealthy is a nonsense. "

Sunak with wife’s wealth is £4bn

20,492 times more than the average Briton (£191,000)

By *igNick1381Man
1 week ago

BRIDGEND

First of all your only allowed 175 comments so there's not enough space

Secondly, do you want gaffes as in genuine error's, or do you want the corruption included

1 week ago

West Dorset

It's a broad topic from general cock ups to actively being racist / corruption

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
1 week ago

nearby

"First of all your only allowed 175 comments so there's not enough space

Secondly, do you want gaffes as in genuine error's, or do you want the corruption included

"

140 comments left to fill

£19bn emergency Bank of England market bailout for Liz Truss budget.

1 week ago

West Dorset

"First of all your only allowed 175 comments so there's not enough space

140 comments left to fill

£19bn emergency Bank of England market bailout for Liz Truss budget.

"

Just interested in the election campaign, haven't got long enough to list every cock up they have ever made

By *oulderingBearMan
1 week ago

Falme

I think he might have meant the fallout and viewing optics of Bet-fail will be as bad for the party as Partgate was.

Party gate roused the fury of people who had stuck to the rules etc.

So objectively the actions of Bet-fail are nowhere as bad (limited to a few people, illegal but ultimately no harm done to the man on the street), however the optics are dire that once again the Torys are self serving.

Also Sunaks total failure to get on top of it and either suspend or sanction those he can will be seen as the final nail in the coffin.

By *roadShoulderzMan
1 week ago

Petersfield

The Partygate crimes were pretty minor especially as No 10 is both a residence and a place of work.

What sunk Bunter was the cover-ups, the lying and his total inability to understand the feelings of those who had to cope with their loved ones dying alone.

Fast forward to the same Tory Party exposed showing party members cheating by betting for personal gain on the back of inside information.

Many voters will link the two scandals, and realise you can never trust a Tory, and they are right.

In the meantime Sunak fails to act, runs away, refuses to even suspend the candidate who publicly admitted he had placed the bet. Sunak is an absolute dud totally out of his depth...

By *aribbean King 1985Man
7 days ago

South West London

Simple folks don't vote for Tories and definitely don't vote for Labour

7 days ago

in Lancashire

Do simple folks vote for other parties?

7 days ago

West Dorset

Define "simple folks"

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
6 days ago

Stockport

He stated that? What a twat. Partygate was unforgivable and unforgettable. The betting won't be remembered in a couple of years time.

I think he might have meant the fallout and viewing optics of Bet-fail will be as bad for the party as Partgate was.

So objectively the actions of Bet-fail are nowhere as bad (limited to a few people, illegal but ultimately no harm done to the man on the street), however the optics are dire that once again the Torys are self serving.

Also Sunaks total failure to get on top of it and either suspend or sanction those he can will be seen as the final nail in the coffin."

The point about the betting scandal is not the size of the bets, but that this was ultra-priviledged information at the heart of government. Ministers have to be trusted with matters of top secret importance that affect national security and global finance. This scandal has proved that not only do the individuals concerned have no understanding of the concept of confidentiality, but also that the prime minister has little regard for the principles of integrity which should be the very foundation of government.

Over the last 14 years the conservative party has demonstrated over and over again that they are institutionally corrupt, that they just do not understand the basic concept of honesty, and that they are incapable of preserving the security of details of state matters.

We have to assume that if this lot had been in charge during WW2, instead of the plans for D-day being one of the most guarded secrets of the war, they would have been down at the bookies with the information.

The current conservative party should be totally dismantled, and all those involved in the corruption and criminality during their entire period of government be barred for life from holding any public office.

By *otMe66Man
6 days ago

Terra Firma

Also Sunaks total failure to get on top of it and either suspend or sanction those he can will be seen as the final nail in the coffin.

The point about the betting scandal is not the size of the bets, but that this was ultra-priviledged information at the heart of government. Ministers have to be trusted with matters of top secret importance that affect national security and global finance. This scandal has proved that not only do the individuals concerned have no understanding of the concept of confidentiality, but also that the prime minister has little regard for the principles of integrity which should be the very foundation of government.

Over the last 14 years the conservative party has demonstrated over and over again that they are institutionally corrupt, that they just do not understand the basic concept of honesty, and that they are incapable of preserving the security of details of state matters.

We have to assume that if this lot had been in charge during WW2, instead of the plans for D-day being one of the most guarded secrets of the war, they would have been down at the bookies with the information.

The current conservative party should be totally dismantled, and all those involved in the corruption and criminality during their entire period of government be barred for life from holding any public office. "

Are you assuming this has never happened before, I would suggest to do so would lead to egg on the face.

Post new Message to Thread