FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Immigration does seem to be one of the most divisive subjects of our generation.

Jump to newest

By *atEvolution OP   Couple
14 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

'Immigration: More people believe it has a negative impact on society than positive, poll suggests

The survey revealed deep political distrust among the public, with 52% saying they think Labour are not telling the truth about what they think on immigration, and 49% saying the same thing about the Conservatives.'

https://news.sky.com/story/immigration-more-people-believe-it-has-a-negative-impact-on-society-than-positive-poll-suggests-13154613

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

"'Immigration: More people believe it has a negative impact on society than positive, poll suggests

The survey revealed deep political distrust among the public, with 52% saying they think Labour are not telling the truth about what they think on immigration, and 49% saying the same thing about the Conservatives.'

https://news.sky.com/story/immigration-more-people-believe-it-has-a-negative-impact-on-society-than-positive-poll-suggests-13154613

"

This is by design.

14 weeks ago

"'Immigration: More people believe it has a negative impact on society than positive, poll suggests

This is by design. "

Go on. I'll bite. I know I shouldn't, but go one . . . explain why?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

This is by design.

Go on. I'll bite. I know I shouldn't, but go one . . . explain why?"

I'm not sure what you mean.

The anti immigrant rhetoric is specifically designed to distract and divide people.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

Nothing wrong with immigration, it's a good thing for our country and economy BUT it must be 1) done through legal processes and 2) selective and vetted. Now we have neither = there's the problem.

14 weeks ago

This is by design.

The anti immigrant rhetoric is specifically designed to distract and divide people."

Ahhhh. Got you. It's a Plan put put hundreds of people into the dangerous waters of the English Channel each week and then divide the people with rhetoric about how we should deal with that.

Cunning Plan Baldric - but still, to what end?

14 weeks ago

"Nothing wrong with immigration, it's a good thing for our country and economy BUT it must be 1) done through legal processes and 2) selective and vetted. Now we have neither = there's the problem."

On this we entirely agree.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

This is by design.

The anti immigrant rhetoric is specifically designed to distract and divide people."

Why can't citizens have genuine concerns about immigration without some crackpot conspiracy?

14 weeks ago

This is by design.

The anti immigrant rhetoric is specifically designed to distract and divide people.

Why can't citizens have genuine concerns about immigration without some crackpot conspiracy?"

Jeebus - two in a row!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

This is by design.

Why can't citizens have genuine concerns about immigration without some crackpot conspiracy?"

They can, maybe some people start out that way. But I'm talking about the rhetoric that's forced down everyone's throat that immigrants cause all our problems. It's ubiquitous.

By *erryspringerMan
14 weeks ago

Glasgow

This is by design.

Go on. I'll bite. I know I shouldn't, but go one . . . explain why?"

Though uncontrolled immigration is a big problem,especially if its from cultures very different from ours.

The media and the politicians particularly Tory and Reform, blame it on all the woes of the country.

They make it seem that all we have to do is stop immigration and everything would be hunky dory.

Illegal immigration is estimated to cost the UK £14.4b while tax havens where the wealthy store their money costs the UK over £18b.

So while immigration is talked about endlessly, the other is hidden the shadows and only pops up now and then.

Maybe on purpose, because the people who seem to direct the chatter seem to have a interest in telling the public to look there at the visible emotional argument. So the other problem is not talked about as much.

Maybe thats what Johnny means by design.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
14 weeks ago

Border of London

This has nothing to do with our generation.

This has been a worry for thousands of years.

This was also a "problem" last generation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_Blood_speech

Immigration was pretty pathetic for Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals. It didn't always work out well for the peoples of the British isles (themselves immigrants who displaced earlier immigrants).

The same people who decry anti-immigration xenophobes in the UK bang on about the horrors of immigration in Israel (ship them back to Poland or America).

Immigration is good and necessary. Too little and a society missed out on significant progress and opportunities, the cross-pollination of culture and ideas. Too much, too fast or with malicious intent (e.g. colonialism) and a culture dies, or changes in ways that terrifies the average person, leading to horrible consequences.

Finding the right place to draw that line is what makes politics so... fun.

14 weeks ago

"

Why can't citizens have genuine concerns about immigration without some crackpot conspiracy?

They can, maybe some people start out that way. But I'm talking about the rhetoric that's forced down everyone's throat that immigrants cause all our problems. It's ubiquitous."

Still. You are not saying to what end? Who are these'some people' And if it's just some doesn't that really defeat your use of the word 'ubiquitous' ?

14 weeks ago

Every party has consistently said: (even Reform):

Immigration should be controlled by legal means.

Arrival by application through a system of immigration control.

How is that divisive?

I ask anyone here - would you expect to turn up at any country in the world and expect free-let to stay with no checks or control?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

This is by design.

Though uncontrolled immigration is a big problem,especially if its from cultures very different from ours.

The media and the politicians particularly Tory and Reform, blame it on all the woes of the country.

They make it seem that all we have to do is stop immigration and everything would be hunky dory.

Illegal immigration is estimated to cost the UK £14.4b while tax havens where the wealthy store their money costs the UK over £18b.

So while immigration is talked about endlessly, the other is hidden the shadows and only pops up now and then.

Maybe on purpose, because the people who seem to direct the chatter seem to have a interest in telling the public to look there at the visible emotional argument. So the other problem is not talked about as much.

Maybe thats what Johnny means by design. "

Thank you.

I didn't think it needed spelling out.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

This is by design.

Maybe thats what Johnny means by design. "

Exactly. Agree

14 weeks ago

This is by design.

Thank you.

I didn't think it needed spelling out."

So the design - is to hide the CONSPIRACY then ?

Oh dear. Reaching.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"

Immigration is good and necessary. Too little and a society missed out on significant progress and opportunities, the cross-pollination of culture and ideas. Too much, too fast or with malicious intent (e.g. colonialism) and a culture dies, or changes in ways that terrifies the average person, leading to horrible consequences.

Finding the right place to draw that line is what makes politics so... fun."

Agree

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

This is by design.

Thank you.

I didn't think it needed spelling out.

So the design - is to hide the CONSPIRACY then ?

Oh dear. Reaching."

I don't know what conspiracy you mean.

14 weeks ago

"

How is that divisive?

I ask anyone here - would you expect to turn up at any country in the world and expect free-let to stay with no checks or control?

"

Anyone want to take a stab at this? After all, it's easy to chat about hidden conspiracies while never providing actual proof of them.

By *roadShoulderzMan
14 weeks ago

Petersfield

"This has nothing to do with our generation.

Immigration was pretty pathetic for Native Americans and Australian Aboriginals. It didn't always work out well for the peoples of the British isles (themselves immigrants who displaced earlier immigrants).

The same people who decry anti-immigration xenophobes in the UK bang on about the horrors of immigration in Israel (ship them back to Poland or America).

Very well said but you will be ignored on the forum in favour of the clickbait dog whistle posters on here pursuing their agendas...

14 weeks ago

"

Very well said but you will be ignored on the forum in favour of the clickbait dog whistle posters on here pursuing their agendas..."

What agenda is that - and who?

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

I think conspiracy is the wrong word.

There is however a concerted effort by some (normally rich and powerful) to ensure focus stays on one topic and creates scapegoats to avoid or temper any attempt at shining society’s spotlight on activity that may reveal them to be contributing (or at least not helping) society. Generally ensuring the rich and powerful stay rich and powerful.

The best lie is one that contains elements of truth.

Immigration IS an issue. Uncontrolled immigration does/will create societal issues. But the rhetoric gives the impression that all or most of societies issues are due to immigration when the reality is that is not true.

It is a diversion based on a level of truth.

There is a great cartoon called “he took your cookie”. Three men sit around a table. One is clearly meant to be Rupert Murdoch (an old rich white western man). Next to him is a builder in hardhat who is also white. Opposite is a brown person/immigrant. The brown person has one cookie in his hand. Murdoch has a plate with a huge pile of cookies in front if him but he is pointing at the brown guy while talking to the builder saying “he took your cookie”.

Sums up the issue well I think!

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

Aarrgghhh

*all or most of society’s issues

14 weeks ago

"

How is that divisive?

Anyone want to take a stab at this? After all, it's easy to chat about hidden conspiracies while never providing actual proof of them."

Anyone?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

"

How is that divisive?

Anyone want to take a stab at this? After all, it's easy to chat about hidden conspiracies while never providing actual proof of them.

Anyone?"

Immigration is currently controlled by legal means.

By *mateur100Man
14 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Nothing wrong with immigration, it's a good thing for our country and economy BUT it must be 1) done through legal processes and 2) selective and vetted. Now we have neither = there's the problem.

On this we entirely agree. "

I'm happy to ride this bus too

By (user no longer on site)
14 weeks ago

This is by design.

It certainly seems to take up an awful lot of your time…..

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

"

They can, maybe some people start out that way. But I'm talking about the rhetoric that's forced down everyone's throat that immigrants cause all our problems. It's ubiquitous.

Still. You are not saying to what end? Who are these'some people' And if it's just some doesn't that really defeat your use of the word 'ubiquitous' ?"

Sorry missed this one.

The rhetoric is ubiquitous, is what I meant.

And to what end, have you seen any instances where fear of immigrants, fear of immigration have been amped up to persuade people to vote a certain way?

14 weeks ago

"

Still. You are not saying to what end? Who are these'some people' And if it's just some doesn't that really defeat your use of the word 'ubiquitous' ?

Sorry missed this one.

And to what end, have you seen any instances where fear of immigrants, fear of immigration have been amped up to persuade people to vote a certain way?

"

Well. I for one am not scared of immigration one bit - I just want it to be legal immigration, not one that trikes to circumvent control. there are millions like me that feel that same way too. Now if they vote because that is the system they want too then we are all a victim of your conspiracy to scare us into voting for every single party in the election right now.

14 weeks ago

"

How is that divisive?

Anyone?"

Really? Nobody?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

"

Sorry missed this one.

Well. I for one am not scared of immigration one bit - I just want it to be legal immigration, not one that trikes to circumvent control. there are millions like me that feel that same way too. Now if they vote because that is the system they want too then we are all a victim of your conspiracy to scare us into voting for every single party in the election right now."

What conspiracy are you talking about?

I'm talking about the anti immigrant rhetoric that was used to persuade people to vote to leave the EU, or to vote for the Tories and now to vote for Reform.

14 weeks ago

"

Sorry missed this one.

Well. I for one am not scared of immigration one bit - I just want it to be legal immigration, not one that trikes to circumvent control. there are millions like me that feel that same way too. Now if they vote because that is the system they want too then we are all a victim of your conspiracy to scare us into voting for every single party in the election right now.

I'm talking about the anti immigrant rhetoric that was used to persuade people to vote to leave the EU, or to vote for the Tories and now to vote for Reform.

"

The one you agreed with another poster above - read back, after all you agreed with it.

14 weeks ago

Brexit had many issues other than immigration.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"

How is that divisive?

Anyone?

Really? Nobody?"

Immigration should be controlled by legal means. = YES I agree

Arrival by application through a system of immigration control. = YES I agree

How is that divisive? = Because at present those safe legal channels do not exist for many of the countries of origin for the asylum seekers. AND because to claim asylum (rather than apply for s Visa to live and work) you need to be on sovereign territory (the beach, an Embassy)

I ask anyone here - would you expect to turn up at any country in the world and expect free-let to stay with no checks or control? = No but who is saying they should? If someone crosses in a dinghy and gets onto the beach and claims asylum, the UK is required to process that person and establish legitimacy of asylum claim. What do you do with that person in the interim that is humane and civilised?

By *ustaboutSaneMan
14 weeks ago

My World

"Nothing wrong with immigration, it's a good thing for our country and economy BUT it must be 1) done through legal processes and 2) selective and vetted. Now we have neither = there's the problem.

On this we entirely agree. "

There is a vetting system in place. We may not think there is but I can personally assure anyone here there is and this also includes minors.

There may be other questions around this but it's in place.

14 weeks ago

Then we agree.

That it should be legal.

and

That, saying it should be Legal, isn't divisive.

Anyway. I have 210 sq'meteres feet of carpet laying to Lady over - laters gators.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

On this we entirely agree.

There is a vetting system in place. We may not think there is but I can personally assure anyone here there is and this also includes minors.

There may be other questions around this but it's in place."

Agreed I think the problem is a lack of investment ergo resources to quickly undertake investigations to establish legitimacy and eligibility (for both official routes/visas AND asylum seekers).

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Then we agree.

That it should be legal.

and

Anyway. I have 210 sq'meteres feet of carpet laying to Lady over - laters gators. "

Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

"

Sorry missed this one.

The one you agreed with another poster above - read back, after all you agreed with it. "

Honestly confused. I haven't mentioned anything about conspiracies, or agreed to anything conspiracy based.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

I find it quite amusing

If reform mentions limiting immigration ... racists!

If Tories mentions limiting immigration... racists!

If labour mentions limiting immigration... sound of silence.

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

"Every party has consistently said: (even Reform):

How is that divisive?

"

if you can turn up stay with no checks it’s not a country it’s just land I don’t think anyone thinks mass migration is of any good tp any country now especially when the culture is so different does anyone on here think mass migration is a good thing if so who for ?

14 weeks ago

Border of London

"does anyone on here think mass migration is a good thing if so who for ?"

It might be good for those who are mass migrating...

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"... to claim asylum (rather than apply for a Visa to live and work) you need to be on sovereign territory (the beach, an Embassy) ..."

Just to nip this one in the bud, embassies are not sovereign territory, and you can't claim asylum in one.

It's an international convention that an embassy is treated as though it were the sovereign territory of the nation it hosts, but there's no legal basis to that. That's why a country can expel diplomats, and they can't just hide in their embassy.

No embassy anywhere will accept asylum claims from standard refugees. That idea only came about during the Cold War, when both sides were happy to accept high level people that wanted to defect. There was no legal compulsion to accept them, and many many low level defectors got turned away.

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

"does anyone on here think mass migration is a good thing if so who for ?

It might be good for those who are mass migrating..."

exactly but for the normal public it does nothing and we have never been asked if it was what we wanted it’s been forced upon us for decades

14 weeks ago

Immigration is a short term fix to a long term problem.

It's like always eating out because you can't cook. Eventually you go broke.

But you will starve while trying to learn to cook.

No party is embracing the long term solutions or questions. Increased birth rate is just swapping the restaurant you are going to from a chain to the local chippy.

And let's keep the focus on the food bill rather than getting distracted by the starbucks coffee it's the big numbers that will cause you to become broke.

Imo, we need to accept retiring a lot later. We also need to get the nation healthier. As state pension and healthcare inflate with age profile, even if the population size is the same.

We may also need to accept changes in our standard of living today. Much of our convenient lifestyle relies on cheap labour.

By *ustaboutSaneMan
14 weeks ago

My World

"Then we agree.

That it should be legal.

and

Anyway. I have 210 sq'meteres feet of carpet laying to Lady over - laters gators.

Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal."

Are you then saying entering the UK without a passport is leagal?

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"... to claim asylum (rather than apply for a Visa to live and work) you need to be on sovereign territory (the beach, an Embassy) ...

Just to nip this one in the bud, embassies are not sovereign territory, and you can't claim asylum in one.

It's an international convention that an embassy is treated as though it were the sovereign territory of the nation it hosts, but there's no legal basis to that. That's why a country can expel diplomats, and they can't just hide in their embassy.

No embassy anywhere will accept asylum claims from standard refugees. That idea only came about during the Cold War, when both sides were happy to accept high level people that wanted to defect. There was no legal compulsion to accept them, and many many low level defectors got turned away."

Ah great to know. So where are these legal routes that people claim should be used to claim asylum? I think they get conflated with visa applications?

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

"Immigration is a short term fix to a long term problem.

No party is embracing the long term solutions or questions. Increased birth rate is just swapping the restaurant you are going to from a chain to the local chippy.

And let's keep the focus on the food bill rather than getting distracted by the starbucks coffee it's the big numbers that will cause you to become broke.

Imo, we need to accept retiring a lot later. We also need to get the nation healthier. As state pension and healthcare inflate with age profile, even if the population size is the same.

We may also need to accept changes in our standard of living today. Much of our convenient lifestyle relies on cheap labour.

"

we do our bit up here we die younger than rest of U.K. lol

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Then we agree.

That it should be legal.

and

Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal.

Are you then saying entering the UK without a passport is leagal?"

No I am saying that once you claim asylum it is not illegal.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Immigration is a short term fix to a long term problem.

"

I don’t think your manifesto is going to be very popular

By *abioMan
14 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The problem is that immigration has become a demonised subject…. How many people would believe the fact that people who have come in from overseas actually contributed more per head in tax revenue for the treasury than their indigenous counterparts…

But hey… easy target….

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

"The problem is that immigration has become a demonised subject…. How many people would believe the fact that people who have come in from overseas actually contributed more per head in tax revenue for the treasury than their indigenous counterparts…

But hey… easy target…. "

but that’s only the ones who work what about the low paid immigrants and the ones who don’t work as it made us richer no there asnt been much benifit to the U.K. ppl from mass migration

By *mateur100Man
14 weeks ago

nr faversham

"The problem is that immigration has become a demonised subject…. How many people would believe the fact that people who have come in from overseas actually contributed more per head in tax revenue for the treasury than their indigenous counterparts…

But hey… easy target…. "

I promised myself I wouldn't get involved but....your point is correct to a point. There will also be many who have come to the UK from overseas for benefits and make no contribution in the same way as there will be many of their indigenous counterparts sitting on their backsides playing the system and refusing to contribute anything. Once they're off benefits and contributing, by all means let's look for more overseas workers. This was the belief of the late Labour MP Frank Field and I see nothing wrong with it

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

But hey… easy target….

I promised myself I wouldn't get involved but....your point is correct to a point. There will also be many who have come to the UK from overseas for benefits and make no contribution in the same way as there will be many of their indigenous counterparts sitting on their backsides playing the system and refusing to contribute anything. Once they're off benefits and contributing, by all means let's look for more overseas workers. This was the belief of the late Labour MP Frank Field and I see nothing wrong with it "

I am not saying this is wrong but can you point to evidence that proves this is right please?

Also you say “many” but what does that mean in this context as it seems to imply more than do not (ie most)?

By *heffielderCouple
14 weeks ago

sheffield

"This has nothing to do with our generation.

By *heffielderCouple
14 weeks ago

sheffield

But hey… easy target…. "

Depends how it's been calculated. Obviously it's not a fair comparison to compare a small demographic of people that have been granted work visa's to a total population, that would include elderly, disabled ect ect

By *mateur100Man
14 weeks ago

nr faversham

But hey… easy target….

I promised myself I wouldn't get involved but....your point is correct to a point. There will also be many who have come to the UK from overseas for benefits and make no contribution in the same way as there will be many of their indigenous counterparts sitting on their backsides playing the system and refusing to contribute anything. Once they're off benefits and contributing, by all means let's look for more overseas workers. This was the belief of the late Labour MP Frank Field and I see nothing wrong with it

I am not saying this is wrong but can you point to evidence that proves this is right please?

Also you say “many” but what does that mean in this context as it seems to imply more than do not (ie most)?"

I actually say "there will be many". I'm not trying to suggest more do not contribute but if the number were 30% for example, that is still many. I have no links to direct you to, this is merely my personal belief based on my life experience

14 weeks ago

Border of London

But hey… easy target…. but that’s only the ones who work what about the low paid immigrants and the ones who don’t work as it made us richer no there asnt been much benifit to the U.K. ppl from mass migration "

Do you believe that the UK has experienced mass immigration?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"So where are these legal routes that people claim should be used to claim asylum?"

As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal."

"Are you then saying entering the UK without a passport is leagal?"

"No I am saying that once you claim asylum it is not illegal."

Entering the UK without permission is illegal. It remains illegal even after you apply for asylum. It's just that whilst you are in the asylum system, you cannot be prosecuted for offences related to entering the country.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"So where are these legal routes that people claim should be used to claim asylum?

As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped."

Hmmm yes that might work for many countries. Doubt it works for some, especially those that account for most of the asylum seekers.

Assuming you are genuine and face persecution in country X. What is the likelihood of being able to apply for, let alone secure a tourist visa? Also, it is the responsibility of our Visas and Immigration department to assess risk as to whether someone is genuinely wanting to visit as a tourist before granting the visa.

All feels very Catch 22!

Wonder how many in Syria or Afghanistan can rock up to the British Consulate (is there one?) and submit a tourist visa request?

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal.

Entering the UK without permission is illegal. It remains illegal even after you apply for asylum. It's just that whilst you are in the asylum system, you cannot be prosecuted for offences related to entering the country."

And if granted asylum?

14 weeks ago

"So where are these legal routes that people claim should be used to claim asylum?

As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped."

isn't that illegal entry too ? After all you aren't intending to be a tourist.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal."

"Are you then saying entering the UK without a passport is leagal?"

"No I am saying that once you claim asylum it is not illegal."

"Entering the UK without permission is illegal. It remains illegal even after you apply for asylum. It's just that whilst you are in the asylum system, you cannot be prosecuted for offences related to entering the country."

"And if granted asylum?"

If asylum is granted, you remain in the system. Asylum rights stay with you for life, and cannot be revoked.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"So where are these legal routes that people claim should be used to claim asylum?"

"As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped."

"isn't that illegal entry too ? After all you aren't intending to be a tourist."

No. There is no offence of making a false statement on a visa application. It doesn't count as fraud either because no pecuniary advantage is gained.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped.

No. There is no offence of making a false statement on a visa application. It doesn't count as fraud either because no pecuniary advantage is gained."

You sure? from GOV.UK.........

It’s a criminal offence to make a false declaration on a passport application.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
14 weeks ago

Gilfach

"As has been said several times. You apply for a tourist visa, get on the ferry, then apply for asylum once you have got your passport stamped."

"isn't that illegal entry too ? After all you aren't intending to be a tourist."

"No. There is no offence of making a false statement on a visa application. It doesn't count as fraud either because no pecuniary advantage is gained."

"You sure? from GOV.UK.........

"

That's a passport, not a visa.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

No. There is no offence of making a false statement on a visa application. It doesn't count as fraud either because no pecuniary advantage is gained.

That's a passport, not a visa."

Yes, and I can see it would be impractical to take action against overseas applicants anyway.

14 weeks ago

That's a passport, not a visa."

I'm gonna guess deception.

Section 24A(1) of immigration act.

IANAL

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
14 weeks ago

Cumbria

Hmmm yes that might work for many countries. Doubt it works for some, especially those that account for most of the asylum seekers.

Assuming you are genuine and face persecution in country X. What is the likelihood of being able to apply for, let alone secure a tourist visa? Also, it is the responsibility of our Visas and Immigration department to assess risk as to whether someone is genuinely wanting to visit as a tourist before granting the visa.

All feels very Catch 22!

Wonder how many in Syria or Afghanistan can rock up to the British Consulate (is there one?) and submit a tourist visa request?"

I wonder how many people will get within 100 yards of the consulate if the reason they are trying to flee the country is that they are being persecuted by the government and fear for their lives?

By *owestoft ManMan
14 weeks ago

Lowestoft

"Nothing wrong with immigration, it's a good thing for our country and economy BUT it must be 1) done through legal processes and 2) selective and vetted. Now we have neither = there's the problem."

Totally agree

By *owestoft ManMan
14 weeks ago

Lowestoft

"Why can't citizens have genuine concerns about immigration without some crackpot conspiracy?"

lol

Plenty of those around

By *owestoft ManMan
14 weeks ago

Lowestoft

The problem isn't immigration it's illegal immigration. Illegal immigration brings, along with the good, the evil of Terrorism like Hamas into our society. The problem will only stop if either the illegal immigration is made to be very difficult or by going into those places they come from and sorting the problems associated with poverty and Terrorism. The poverty issue will cost billions and billions of Tax payers money, which some might say is good but I think first fix our own problems before trying to fix other's problems. The issue with Terrorism is a difficult subject but personally I think if all the countries of the civilized world came together and rid our planet of Terrorists like Hamas etc. There are many like Hamas and until we get rid of them all the issues around illegal immigration will stay with us.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

Can anyone think of a way to shoehorn Hamas into this thread?

Give it a go if you can.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

"Can anyone think of a way to shoehorn Hamas into this thread?

Give it a go if you can."

Media reporting from several sources has alleged that 19 individuals with suspected links to terrorism were able to enter the UK through illegal migration networks in 2022.[1]

The suspects that were reportedly identified through biometric scanning upon entry to the UK include five Iraqis, five Iranians, four Afghans, four Somalis and one Libyan.[2] It is alleged that the individuals have links to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the Islamic State Khorasan Province (Afghanistan), and unspecified Iranian terrorist groups.[3]

The reporting has suggested that the majority of these individuals have made formal asylum claims to the UK whilst based in migrant hotels and are unable to be deported. The individuals are now reportedly under surveillance by police and UK security services.[4]

In an interview, Tony Smith, former head of the UK Border Force stated that during the evacuation of the “dangerously overcrowded” Manston refugee centre “not all security checks were done, and some could have been missed… my worry is that someone with terrorist intent has crept through that system”. [5]

Reportedly, over 45,000 individuals crossed the English Channel irregularly in 2022. The majority of these crossings were in small boats provided by criminal groups operating on the French coast.[

14 weeks ago

Give it a go if you can.

Media reporting from several sources has alleged that 19 individuals with suspected links to terrorism were able to enter the UK through illegal migration networks in 2022.[1]

The suspects that were reportedly identified through biometric scanning upon entry to the UK include five Iraqis, five Iranians, four Afghans, four Somalis and one Libyan.[2] It is alleged that the individuals have links to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), the Islamic State Khorasan Province (Afghanistan), and unspecified Iranian terrorist groups.[3]

The reporting has suggested that the majority of these individuals have made formal asylum claims to the UK whilst based in migrant hotels and are unable to be deported. The individuals are now reportedly under surveillance by police and UK security services.[4]

In an interview, Tony Smith, former head of the UK Border Force stated that during the evacuation of the “dangerously overcrowded” Manston refugee centre “not all security checks were done, and some could have been missed… my worry is that someone with terrorist intent has crept through that system”. [5]

Reportedly, over 45,000 individuals crossed the English Channel irregularly in 2022. The majority of these crossings were in small boats provided by criminal groups operating on the French coast.[

"

I’m sure they are good lads and will soon repent of their past ways and start working as NHS surgeons. Very gracious to leave all the women and children behind and not trouble them with such a perilous journey. We are lucky to have them given that British people are all too lazy and stupid to do anything useful.

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 18/06/24 18:42:52]

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

All feels very Catch 22!

Wonder how many in Syria or Afghanistan can rock up to the British Consulate (is there one?) and submit a tourist visa request?"

I read Palestinians were being offered a way out of Gaza, they needed to pay of course, and so do people using small boats.

There is always a way out, so much so people from the countries you mention are arriving in Europe and here daily.

It is not always worst case scenarios.

By *eroy1000Man
14 weeks ago

milton keynes

generally agree with this though I would say that both legal and illegal immigrants go through a system. The system might be very poor though especially for the illegals. Both sets are often clumped together especially when talking about net benefit and we don't seem to get figures for the illegal ones on their own. For me if a UK company need say 100 carpenters and can only find 50 locally then the remaining 50 can be brought in from elsewhere. But not bring in unlimited numbers of carpenters. Training more locally will help in the long term. Also it should be said that those that take up these offers are a loss to their home nation

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

Give it a go if you can.

"

That's a very weird site you copied and pasted this from.

If they were identified through the biometric scan, why were they let in?

Also, you failed to rant about Hamas.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

generally agree with this though I would say that both legal and illegal immigrants go through a system. The system might be very poor though especially for the illegals. Both sets are often clumped together especially when talking about net benefit and we don't seem to get figures for the illegal ones on their own. For me if a UK company need say 100 carpenters and can only find 50 locally then the remaining 50 can be brought in from elsewhere. But not bring in unlimited numbers of carpenters. Training more locally will help in the long term. Also it should be said that those that take up these offers are a loss to their home nation"

Totally agree ??

By *eroy1000Man
14 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Your assumption is that entering the UK without a visa and then claiming asylum is illegal. It isn’t. Entering the UK without a Visa then cracking on with no asylum claim is illegal.

Entering the UK without permission is illegal. It remains illegal even after you apply for asylum. It's just that whilst you are in the asylum system, you cannot be prosecuted for offences related to entering the country.

And if granted asylum?

If asylum is granted, you remain in the system. Asylum rights stay with you for life, and cannot be revoked."

So it is an illegal act but those individuals get a sort of amnesty from prosecution for that particular crime. What if they are not granted asylum? Are they then not protected by this amnesty?

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

Give it a go if you can.

Also, you failed to rant about Hamas. "

I couldn't give 2 shits about hamas, as its sponsored by Iran... and just derails the debate imho

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

Give it a go if you can.

Also, you failed to rant about Hamas.

I couldn't give 2 shits about hamas, as its sponsored by Iran... and just derails the debate imho"

We're on the same page.

14 weeks ago

Border of London

"

I’m sure they are good lads and will soon repent of their past ways and start working as NHS surgeons. Very gracious to leave all the women and children behind and not trouble them with such a perilous journey. We are lucky to have them given that British people are all too lazy and stupid to do anything useful."

https://news.sky.com/story/migrants-try-to-board-small-boat-off-french-beach-in-desperate-bid-for-britain-as-powerless-police-watch-on-13154980

Whilst the majority are young men, there are a number of families, as evidenced by the many heart-wreching stories of children drowning.

Knowing the dangers, it's criminally wanton negligence to take children on such a journey from any (otherwise safe) European country. While there may be an arguable right under law to head towards any country as an asylum seeker, parents who subject their children to mortal danger for a better opportunity have some hard questions to answer.

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

And if granted asylum?

If asylum is granted, you remain in the system. Asylum rights stay with you for life, and cannot be revoked.

So it is an illegal act but those individuals get a sort of amnesty from prosecution for that particular crime. What if they are not granted asylum? Are they then not protected by this amnesty?"

If we look at this problem openly, you are in my opinion very close to core of the problem.

45K ish arrived by small boat last year, one estimate based on the number of people destroying or not having documents, makes 95% of those 45K ish not legitimate.

We now have a very big problem, they have broken our laws and we can't do anything about it, we cant send 42500 ish people to jail, we can't put 42500 ish people through court, we can't fine them and we can't return them easily because we don't know who they are or a lot of times where they come from.

So what do we do next?

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

"

I’m sure they are good lads and will soon repent of their past ways and start working as NHS surgeons. Very gracious to leave all the women and children behind and not trouble them with such a perilous journey. We are lucky to have them given that British people are all too lazy and stupid to do anything useful.

https://news.sky.com/story/migrants-try-to-board-small-boat-off-french-beach-in-desperate-bid-for-britain-as-powerless-police-watch-on-13154980

Whilst the majority are young men, there are a number of families, as evidenced by the many heart-wreching stories of children drowning.

Knowing the dangers, it's criminally wanton negligence to take children on such a journey from any (otherwise safe) European country. While there may be an arguable right under law to head towards any country as an asylum seeker, parents who subject their children to mortal danger for a better opportunity have some hard questions to answer.

"

the parents who put them on the boats want arresting and sent back because there’s not a normal person on here who would risk the life of there own child regardless how many family are here already and regardless of how much of a better life they will have than in France

By *abioMan
14 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

All feels very Catch 22!

The answer is they probably couldn’t

For “Certain” countries, to even get a tourist visa you would need to show your have travel tickets… a return set of tickets… and you would need to show means of proof that you can support yourself during your potential stay… or a sponsor would need to show they would support you during your stay….

14 weeks ago

Border of London

[Removed by poster at 18/06/24 19:20:20]

14 weeks ago

Border of London

"

The answer is they probably couldn’t

For “Certain” countries, to even get a tourist visa you would need to show your have travel tickets… a return set of tickets… and you would need to show means of proof that you can support yourself during your potential stay… or a sponsor would need to show they would support you during your stay…."

The standard trafficking charge is reportedly £3000-10000?

14 weeks ago

And if granted asylum?

So it is an illegal act but those individuals get a sort of amnesty from prosecution for that particular crime. What if they are not granted asylum? Are they then not protected by this amnesty?

If we look at this problem openly, you are in my opinion very close to core of the problem.

45K ish arrived by small boat last year, one estimate based on the number of people destroying or not having documents, makes 95% of those 45K ish not legitimate.

We now have a very big problem, they have broken our laws and we can't do anything about it, we cant send 42500 ish people to jail, we can't put 42500 ish people through court, we can't fine them and we can't return them easily because we don't know who they are or a lot of times where they come from.

So what do we do next? "

this issue exists regardless of having any asylum system or not.

And even a few thousand to Rwanda isnt going to touch the sides.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

Rwanda is a gimmick, rather use a few islands off the coast of Scotland, cost effective and guarantee most will want to go home after 6 weeks ...

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

And if granted asylum?

So what do we do next? this issue exists regardless of having any asylum system or not.

And even a few thousand to Rwanda isnt going to touch the sides. "

Exactly, we can discuss option a or b and right down to z, it doesn’t stop the problem of being overwhelmed and not being able to cope.

Put in a safe route, those that would be under more scrutiny would still get in the boats.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
14 weeks ago

nearby

"Rwanda is a gimmick, rather use a few islands off the coast of Scotland, cost effective and guarantee most will want to go home after 6 weeks ..."

Unresolvable atm.

UN says 1.2bn more migrants will enter Europe by 2060/70 as a result of climate change, war and poverty.

We’ve seen nothing yet

14 weeks ago

And if granted asylum?

So what do we do next? this issue exists regardless of having any asylum system or not.

Exactly, we can discuss option a or b and right down to z, it doesn’t stop the problem of being overwhelmed and not being able to cope.

Put in a safe route, those that would be under more scrutiny would still get in the boats."

agreed. But it may help genuine cases being lost or being pulled into criminality.

You are also more likely to get a lefty like me inside with how you manage those that do cross.

Imagine if we agreed with France that we could process their end. And anyone crossing gets sent to those processing sites. Why bother crossing ? Breaks the gangs.

And then have a Rwanda style scheme for those who cases fail.

By *lecom1Couple
14 weeks ago

Stornoway

"Rwanda is a gimmick, rather use a few islands off the coast of Scotland, cost effective and guarantee most will want to go home after 6 weeks ..."

Yes of course all us folks living in nowhere land as the BBC cunts call us will welcome them all for six weeks

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
14 weeks ago

nearby

And if granted asylum?

Put in a safe route, those that would be under more scrutiny would still get in the boats."

Absolutely. 215,500 on home office asylum application list

Assuming no more arrive, it will take 431 years (@200pa) to deport all these if it is ever legal to do so, and if Rwanda can take them all, annual stated capacities are argued in the range 200-300 a year. And labour are binning the scheme anyway.

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

And if granted asylum?

Put in a safe route, those that would be under more scrutiny would still get in the boats.agreed. But it may help genuine cases being lost or being pulled into criminality.

You are also more likely to get a lefty like me inside with how you manage those that do cross.

Imagine if we agreed with France that we could process their end. And anyone crossing gets sent to those processing sites. Why bother crossing ? Breaks the gangs.

And then have a Rwanda style scheme for those who cases fail.

"

Very good point on catching the genuine

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

And if granted asylum?

Put in a safe route, those that would be under more scrutiny would still get in the boats.

Assuming no more arrive, it will take 431 years (@200pa) to deport all these if it is ever legal to do so, and if Rwanda can take them all, annual stated capacities are argued in the range 200-300 a year. And labour are binning the scheme anyway.

"

Overwhelming the system, and no plan, it is either pull out of our commitments to conventions and international laws we have signed up to or accept the fact we have no tools in the box to stop people simply walking in.

It’s a tough choice and I can’t see a middle ground.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

"Rwanda is a gimmick, rather use a few islands off the coast of Scotland, cost effective and guarantee most will want to go home after 6 weeks ...

Yes of course all us folks living in nowhere land as the BBC cunts call us will welcome them all for six weeks"

Snp are crying out for immigration on the currant debates ...

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
14 weeks ago

nearby

And if granted asylum?

Overwhelming the system, and no plan, it is either pull out of our commitments to conventions and international laws we have signed up to or accept the fact we have no tools in the box to stop people simply walking in.

It’s a tough choice and I can’t see a middle ground. "

Exactly this

And in the meantime costing the taxpayer a fortune.

By *usybee73Man
14 weeks ago

in the sticks

"Rwanda is a gimmick, rather use a few islands off the coast of Scotland, cost effective and guarantee most will want to go home after 6 weeks ...

Unresolvable atm.

UN says 1.2bn more migrants will enter Europe by 2060/70 as a result of climate change, war and poverty.

We’ve seen nothing yet "

Hence give them 6 weeks ... even in summer, midges will love the fresh supply

14 weeks ago

Border of London

Yes of course all us folks living in nowhere land as the BBC cunts call us will welcome them all for six weeks

Snp are crying out for immigration on the currant debates ..."

How to keep EVERYONE happy:

Scottish independence + give Scotland all illegal, undocumented or asylum-refused immigrants.

By *owestoft ManMan
14 weeks ago

Lowestoft

All Terrorists are terrible violent and murderous people, all in the name of so called religion. The likes of ISIS and Hamas are evil and need to be removed from our planet.

Illegal Immigration is only one method these Terrorist groups can and do get their fighters into other countries.

By *oubleswing2019Man
14 weeks ago

Colchester

"I ask anyone here - would you expect to turn up at any country in the world and expect free-let to stay with no checks or control?

"

Yes. When every single border in every country in the world is torn down, I do fully expect people to move around as they so desire. I see no problem in that. Empires will fall and new ones will arise.

We are the only species that recognise borders. No other animal in the animal kingdom does.

We have incarcerated ourselves with borders for far too long.

By *AJMLKTV/TS
14 weeks ago

Burley

"I ask anyone here - would you expect to turn up at any country in the world and expect free-let to stay with no checks or control?

Yes. When every single border in every country in the world is torn down, I do fully expect people to move around as they so desire. I see no problem in that. Empires will fall and new ones will arise.

We are the only species that recognise borders. No other animal in the animal kingdom does.

We have incarcerated ourselves with borders for far too long."

It depends on how you're defining "borders". Pretty much every mammal, some birds and some sea creatures mark their territory in some way and will defend these "borders" to the death.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

Many animals have territories, mark them with scent, and defend them ferociously.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
14 weeks ago

golden fields

Many animals have territories, mark them with scent, and defend them ferociously."

Indeed, but enough about Lee Anderson and the bar stool in his local 'spoons.

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Many animals have territories, mark them with scent, and defend them ferociously.

Indeed, but enough about Lee Anderson and the bar stool in his local 'spoons.

"

Very good

By *anJenny 181Couple
14 weeks ago

Preston

Lol some people can't see the wood for the trees, when society is telling you to hate be very careful you don't fall into that trap

Why do we not have enough money for services ?

True Answer Because the banks crashed the world economy, nothing to do with rubber boats

By *ostindreamsMan
14 weeks ago

London

A big world government without borders between countries will always be a pipe dream. The only way to do that is through authoritarianism. To bring everyone together, you will need everyone to follow the similar ideology and have similar values, which is close to impossible. The furthest any ideology has united people is religion, which is dying away.

I personally hope we don't all become sheeps having same values.

By *owestoft ManMan
14 weeks ago

Lowestoft

"Yes. When every single border in every country in the world is torn down, I do fully expect people to move around as they so desire. I see no problem in that. Empires will fall and new ones will arise.

There are no drawn borders in the wild animal kingdom but many do mark their territories with urine and if any other of the same species crosses into their territories there is a fight often to death. Most all other species coming into those territories are killed and eaten.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"Yes. When every single border in every country in the world is torn down, I do fully expect people to move around as they so desire. I see no problem in that. Empires will fall and new ones will arise.

There are no drawn borders in the wild animal kingdom but many do mark their territories with urine and if any other of the same species crosses into their territories there is a fight often to death. Most all other species coming into those territories are killed and eaten.

"

Precisely. It is all about securing then guarding the area with the best resources. Humans are not so dissimilar to animals, all are territorial.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
14 weeks ago

nearby

"

Unfortunately I doubt us pissing in the channel will deter the boats.

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

Unfortunately I doubt us pissing in the channel will deter the boats. "

Pissing on the politicians might help tho, and that's what's gonna happen too

14 weeks ago

Meanwhile in Germany . . .

***Asylum applications in Germany rocketed to their highest rate since 2016 last year as more the (sic) 351,000 people arrived - around four times the amount coming to the UK.***

https://news.sky.com/story/migrants-look-to-uk-as-germany-toughens-laws-and-warn-that-people-smuggling-could-increase-13154988

By *oubleswing2019Man
14 weeks ago

Colchester

So, hypothetical question. All this talk of animals and territories and whatnot.

Say I build the Millenium Falcon. Fly off to space. Hyperdrive. Discover new worlds.

Decide to take a closer look at one. coming in through the atmosphere. Comms hailed to my console.

"Unknown alien spacecraft. You have no authority to visit this planet. You are an alien. Turn around."

1. Turn around.

2. Turn off the console and ignore them.

(Bonus 3. Nuke the Place From Orbit, it's the only way to be sure).

I'm going with #2. They have no authority or indeed autonomy over me. I am not beholden to their laws. Sure, they have a right to defend themselves if they so wish, and I have a right to defend myself too. So option 3 it is then

Kidding aside, apart from perhaps your own home, and immediate territory, the rest ? Artificial nonsense.

I checked an Atlas dated -200,000 BC. Can't see many political borders back then. Just tribes squabbling over imaginary borders. 200,000 years later, nothing has changed. Apart from the atlases of course. (Who remembers Microsoft Encarta ?)

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

"So, hypothetical question. All this talk of animals and territories and whatnot.

Say I build the Millenium Falcon. Fly off to space. Hyperdrive. Discover new worlds.

Decide to take a closer look at one. coming in through the atmosphere. Comms hailed to my console.

"Unknown alien spacecraft. You have no authority to visit this planet. You are an alien. Turn around."

1. Turn around.

I'm going with #2. They have no authority or indeed autonomy over me. I am not beholden to their laws. Sure, they have a right to defend themselves if they so wish, and I have a right to defend myself too. So option 3 it is then

Kidding aside, apart from perhaps your own home, and immediate territory, the rest ? Artificial nonsense.

I checked an Atlas dated -200,000 BC. Can't see many political borders back then. Just tribes squabbling over imaginary borders. 200,000 years later, nothing has changed. Apart from the atlases of course. (Who remembers Microsoft Encarta ?)

"

We don't want the lazy green scroungers coming here!!

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"So, hypothetical question. All this talk of animals and territories and whatnot.

1. Turn around.

"

“Millenium Falcon”

“What a piece of junk”

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

1. Turn around.

"

If you have no borders how do you collect the taxes that society demands?

How do you build an infrastructure to the size of the population?

How do you police?

How do you stop 66% of the world being uninhabited or more importantly 33% of the world being overcrowded ?

How do you stop the rich and powerful taking whatever land they want?

I could go on, but answers to those questions should be a good start to understand if we actually do need borders

By *oxychick35Couple
14 weeks ago

thornaby

1. Turn around.

How do you police?

How do you stop 66% of the world being uninhabited or more importantly 33% of the world being overcrowded ?

I could go on, but answers to those questions should be a good start to understand if we actually do need borders"

without borders it’s just land not a country

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

1. Turn around.

How do you police?

I could go on, but answers to those questions should be a good start to understand if we actually do need borderswithout borders it’s just land not a country "

Like the Wild West, the good old days…

14 weeks ago

Border of London

"

"

Simple solution. If poor dark people upset rich white people by abandoning their home in [insert brutal regime here] and arrive on our shores, then rich white people could simply go to [insert brutal regime here], hire a private army and have a great standard of living.

Oh, wait...

Oops!

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"

Simple solution. If poor dark people upset rich white people by abandoning their home in [insert brutal regime here] and arrive on our shores, then rich white people could simply go to [insert brutal regime here], hire a private army and have a great standard of living.

Oh, wait...

Oops!"

Wouldn’t be “our shores” so that scenario is not available.

Post new Message to Thread