Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Imagine betting on the election announcement 3 days before it was called

Jump to newest

By *oncupiscentTony OP   Man
15 weeks ago

Kent

Then imagine the person placing the bet was Rishi Sunak's parliamentary private secretary. Be a bit embarrassing wouldn't it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *an DeLyonMan
15 weeks ago

County Durham

"Then imagine the person placing the bet was Rishi Sunak's parliamentary private secretary. Be a bit embarrassing wouldn't it."

Who says he didn't

By *ortyairCouple
15 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Then imagine the person placing the bet was Rishi Sunak's parliamentary private secretary. Be a bit embarrassing wouldn't it."
Did he?

Mrs x

By *an DeLyonMan
15 weeks ago

County Durham

"Then imagine the person placing the bet was Rishi Sunak's parliamentary private secretary. Be a bit embarrassing wouldn't it.Did he?

Mrs x"

He could have

By *mateur100Man
15 weeks ago

nr faversham

Unless you're suggesting the result is rigged,what difference does it make

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Unless you're suggesting the result is rigged,what difference does it make "

It's a criminal offence under the gambling act, the guy is an MP..

By *otMe66Man
15 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Unless you're suggesting the result is rigged,what difference does it make "

Worse case scenario, is fraud, using insider knowledge to gain financially.

If he was stupid enough to wager money on the election date and didn't know the actual date, what did he think the outcome would be if he was correct. The guy is stupid, greedy or both.

By *mateur100Man
15 weeks ago

nr faversham

"Unless you're suggesting the result is rigged,what difference does it make

It's a criminal offence under the gambling act, the guy is an MP.."

Is it?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
15 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Unless you're suggesting the result is rigged,what difference does it make"

"It's a criminal offence under the gambling act, the guy is an MP."

"Is it?"

Yes.

Section 42 of the Gambling Act 2005 says "A person commits an offence if he ... cheats at gambling".

The man is accused of placing a bet on the date of the general election. If he had insider knowledge that Rishi had chosen the date, that's cheating.

Of course, we don't know that he did have such knowledge, but it does look very fishy.

By *mateur100Man
15 weeks ago

nr faversham

It's a criminal offence under the gambling act, the guy is an MP.

Is it?

Yes.

Section 42 of the Gambling Act 2005 says "A person commits an offence if he ... cheats at gambling".

The man is accused of placing a bet on the date of the general election. If he had insider knowledge that Rishi had chosen the date, that's cheating.

Of course, we don't know that he did have such knowledge, but it does look very fishy."

Two things... firstly I thought we were talking about the outcome of the election and secondly its not an offence until proven and the last time I checked our judicial system worked on the premise of innocent until proven guilty...which he may well be but not yet

15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Is it?

Yes.

Of course, we don't know that he did have such knowledge, but it does look very fishy.

Two things... firstly I thought we were talking about the outcome of the election and secondly its not an offence until proven and the last time I checked our judicial system worked on the premise of innocent until proven guilty...which he may well be but not yet"

He's said he ' had a flutter', effectively he's put his hands up..

Of course that doesn't mean he's been charged let alone convicted but he's pretty much bang to rights..

By (user no longer on site)
15 weeks ago

Is it?

Yes.

Two things... firstly I thought we were talking about the outcome of the election and secondly its not an offence until proven and the last time I checked our judicial system worked on the premise of innocent until proven guilty...which he may well be but not yet

Of course that doesn't mean he's been charged let alone convicted but he's pretty much bang to rights.."

Do you think you should report him to the police?

15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Is it?

Yes.

Of course that doesn't mean he's been charged let alone convicted but he's pretty much bang to rights..

Do you think you should report him to the police?"

You need to go and read what's been reported, it's freely available ..

instead of asking yet again more stupid questions..

15 weeks ago

Kent

Is it?

Yes.

Do you think you should report him to the police?"

It was his own bookmaker who reported him to the gambling commission

By *abioMan
15 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The person involved is saying it was 3 weeks before.. not 3 days… and he will happily cooperate with any enquiry

We all thought it was going to be potentially June ish for a while so July isn’t that far out bearing in mind the date of the election is now only 1 w before the current parliamentary session was due to finish anyway

By *idnight RamblerMan
15 weeks ago

Pershore

The staggering thing is how an MP and PPS to the PM thinks it's acceptable to bet on matters he's in the centre of. Moreover, that he's dumb enough to think he can get away with it. Just unbelievable. This arrogant attitude has pervaded this Tory government, but it looks like justice will be served on 4th July.

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

Amazed an MP would risk their career and reputation for a possible £400

By *idnight RamblerMan
15 weeks ago

Pershore

Insider tip exclusive to Fabbers. Get down to Ladbrokes fast.

(Christmas Day will fall on 25th December)

Sshhhhhh

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

"Insider tip exclusive to Fabbers. "

Are you advertising your penis ?

By *irldnCouple
15 weeks ago

Brighton

"The staggering thing is how an MP and PPS to the PM thinks it's acceptable to bet on matters he's in the centre of. Moreover, that he's dumb enough to think he can get away with it. Just unbelievable. This arrogant attitude has pervaded this Tory government, but it looks like justice will be served on 4th July."

Not really. It is the same principle as PPE VIP channels, cronyism, and miraculously having interests in companies that are in a position to take advantage of Govt policy.

In the City they call it Insider Trading and it is illegal. On here some try to justify it by saying MPs are well connected with business interests (but say so without a hint of irony).

By *idnight RamblerMan
15 weeks ago

Pershore

"Insider tip exclusive to Fabbers.

Are you advertising your penis ? "

I would for a bet!

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

Someone involved with the Mone PPE scandal was arrested yesterday

By *idnight RamblerMan
15 weeks ago

Pershore

"The staggering thing is how an MP and PPS to the PM thinks it's acceptable to bet on matters he's in the centre of. Moreover, that he's dumb enough to think he can get away with it. Just unbelievable. This arrogant attitude has pervaded this Tory government, but it looks like justice will be served on 4th July.

Not really. It is the same principle as PPE VIP channels, cronyism, and miraculously having interests in companies that are in a position to take advantage of Govt policy.

In the City they call it Insider Trading and it is illegal. On here some try to justify it by saying MPs are well connected with business interests (but say so without a hint of irony)."

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. A bet is a form of contract, so there may be a breach under unfair contract terms legislation.

By *irldnCouple
15 weeks ago

Brighton

Sunak is Sunk! The amount of mistakes by him/around him are almost Benny Hill like at this stage.

In the Sky programme last night an audience member ripped into him about what happened during the pandemic saying “we have long memories”

Wonder if his kids have secured their place at school in America for September yet?

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

"

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. A bet is a form of contract, so there may be a breach under unfair contract terms legislation."

The Close Aide placed the bet 19th May and the election was called 22 May. Hardly placed "weeks previously" as he claims

By *usybee73Man
15 weeks ago

in the sticks

I'm quite surprised it doesn't come under the official secrets act? Wonder what other stuff he's done for money with private information.

Then again, shows how stupid he is, why didn't he contact a cousin etc and get them to put in on.

By *irldnCouple
15 weeks ago

Brighton

"Then again, shows how stupid he is, why didn't he contact a cousin etc and get them to put in on."

Lol good point

15 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"I'm quite surprised it doesn't come under the official secrets act? Wonder what other stuff he's done for money with private information.

Then again, shows how stupid he is, why didn't he contact a cousin etc and get them to put in on."

Possibly just plain old arrogance, he's 'up there's at Sunak's right hand and in time a junior Ministers position will be his reward..

Overblown sense of his own importance..

Twonk..

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

If Landbrokes pay out his winnings, will he use it to campaign for his Montgomershire seat ?

By *roadShoulderzMan
15 weeks ago

Petersfield

"Someone involved with the Mone PPE scandal was arrested yesterday"

Was he Michael Gove?

By *allySlinkyWoman
15 weeks ago

Leeds

No Gove is 57.

The arrested man is 46.

By *erryspringerMan
15 weeks ago

Glasgow

American Senators do this kind of thing all the time. Only not gambling but on insider trading, bygetting their spouses to buy shares in Companies about to benefit from laws they are going to impose.

By *irldnCouple
15 weeks ago

Brighton

"American Senators do this kind of thing all the time. Only not gambling but on insider trading, bygetting their spouses to buy shares in Companies about to benefit from laws they are going to impose."

Bot just the USA. Plenty of MPs in UK have interests in companies that benefit from UK Govt policy. Often just seem to be in the right place at the right time. It is quite uncanny!

15 weeks ago

"No Gove is 57.

The arrested man is 46."

probably a director. Not sure if we can guess names here.

By *roadShoulderzMan
15 weeks ago

Petersfield

"No Gove is 57.

The arrested man is 46.probably a director. Not sure if we can guess names here. "

I wasn't serious about Gove.

By *roadShoulderzMan
15 weeks ago

Petersfield

"I'm quite surprised it doesn't come under the official secrets act? Wonder what other stuff he's done for money with private information.

Then again, shows how stupid he is, why didn't he contact a cousin etc and get them to put in on."

How do we know he didn't involve lots of his family as well?

By *aturemaleMan
15 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Then again, shows how stupid he is, why didn't he contact a cousin etc and get them to put in on.

How do we know he didn't involve lots of his family as well?"

Well, the gambling commission are looking at all similar bets that would have won £200 and over. So other bets might be flushed out.

By *ony 2016Man
15 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"Insider tip exclusive to Fabbers. Get down to Ladbrokes fast.

(Christmas Day will fall on 25th December)

Sshhhhhh "

Be careful before placing this bet ,,, I think its a leap year ,,,

By *roadShoulderzMan
15 weeks ago

Petersfield

Well, the gambling commission are looking at all similar bets that would have won £200 and over. So other bets might be flushed out. "

Probably other Tory MPs and advisors are going to be uncovered as cheating and fraud appear to be par for the course for them. The odds significantly shortened a couple of days before the announcement suggesting the date leaked.

I got 10/1 back in February on a GE date July to Sept but my 12/1 on no overall control is looking unlikely.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
15 weeks ago

Central

Things can only get betting

By *rNice.Man
14 weeks ago

Doncaster

I d put more than £100 quid on it if I knew what he knew ???

By *roadShoulderzMan
14 weeks ago

Petersfield

Well, the gambling commission are looking at all similar bets that would have won £200 and over. So other bets might be flushed out.

Probably other Tory MPs and advisors are going to be uncovered as cheating and fraud appear to be par for the course for them. The odds significantly shortened a couple of days before the announcement suggesting the date leaked.

"

One of Sunak's close protection team a police officer with the Met has just been arrested over alleged election date bets.

And the Gambling Commission has said it is investigating the possibility of offenceS.

This could be very serious for Sunak and his team...

By *otMe66Man
14 weeks ago

Terra Firma

One of Sunak's close protection team a police officer with the Met has just been arrested over alleged election date bets.

And the Gambling Commission has said it is investigating the possibility of offenceS.

This could be very serious for Sunak and his team..."

I think it is probably a lot more serious for the police officer…… what a fool he must be to throw away his career, if it is true.

By *roadShoulderzMan
14 weeks ago

Petersfield

I think it is probably a lot more serious for the police officer…… what a fool he must be to throw away his career, if it is true. "

Upon reflection, whilst, if true, this guy will be made an example of, we shouldn't forget Kwasi Kwarteng was in the spotlight for giving out inside information on his disasterous mini-budget, which led to a run on the GBP and his shorting mates made a killing. Obviously any potential investigation was blocked by the Tory government.

14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

I think it is probably a lot more serious for the police officer…… what a fool he must be to throw away his career, if it is true. "

Mind bogglingly daft..

By *allySlinkyWoman
14 weeks ago

Leeds

A second Conservative candidate is now being invested for betting on the election date. The candidate is married to the Director of Campaigning.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
14 weeks ago

Cumbria

"A second Conservative candidate is now being invested for betting on the election date. The candidate is married to the Director of Campaigning."

You’d think that if they had prior knowledge of when the election was going to be they’d have used that knowledge to plan a decent campaign rather than make a few quid.

By *ostindreamsMan
14 weeks ago

London

I think the Tories have given up completely at this point and are just having fun out there Maybe make as much money as possible before the next election.

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 20/06/24 11:42:25]

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"I think the Tories have given up completely at this point and are just having fun out there Maybe make as much money as possible before the next election. "

New note left in the Treasury this time saying…

“There’s no money, we gave most of it to our friends, family, and cronies, and await the downstream back handers in due course”

14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"A second Conservative candidate is now being invested for betting on the election date. The candidate is married to the Director of Campaigning."

And now himself..

Sunak likes a gamble, wonder if anyone put anything on for him too..?

By *idnight RamblerMan
14 weeks ago

Pershore

Looks like the Tories are happier in a casino than parliament. They'll get their wish after 4th July

14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Perhaps we should have a sweepstake on how many more will be investigated and named..?

Only for matchsticks maybe..

By *irldnCouple
14 weeks ago

Brighton

"A second Conservative candidate is now being invested for betting on the election date. The candidate is married to the Director of Campaigning.

And now himself..

Sunak likes a gamble, wonder if anyone put anything on for him too..?"

Indeed. Last time be had a big gamble he contributed to the financial crisis in 2007/8!

14 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"A second Conservative candidate is now being invested for betting on the election date. The candidate is married to the Director of Campaigning.

And now himself..

Sunak likes a gamble, wonder if anyone put anything on for him too..?

Indeed. Last time be had a big gamble he contributed to the financial crisis in 2007/8!"

And then had a grand with piers Morgan over Rwanda flights..

Bit of a pattern..

By *allySlinkyWoman
14 weeks ago

Leeds

The Matt cartoon in today's Telegraph is of a man on a doorstep wearing a rosette. He says to the occupier "I'm your Tory MP. I bet you a tenner you won't vote for me"

13 weeks ago

Kent

And the list of names continues to get longer and longer

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
13 weeks ago

Hastings

Worse case scenario, is fraud, using insider knowledge to gain financially.

If he was stupid enough to wager money on the election date and didn't know the actual date, what did he think the outcome would be if he was correct. The guy is stupid, greedy or both. "

I'll go with both but greedy more then stupid. Let's face it there all greedy MP's that is!

By *allySlinkyWoman
13 weeks ago

Leeds

Nick Mason Conservative Data Chief is being investigated for placing "dozens" of bets on the election date.

By *roadShoulderzMan
13 weeks ago

Petersfield

"Nick Mason Conservative Data Chief is being investigated for placing "dozens" of bets on the election date. "

This still could be the tip of the iceberg, which may explain why Sunak is refusing to suspend any of those named so far.

I also wonder if the press is saving this up for a bombshell release a few days before the vote? Trickle out a name every few days, then release dozens in one go to get maximum impact?

Whilst the offence may not be that serious, it is a criminal offence, and like Partygate offends the British sense of fair play, as Bunter found out...

By *allySlinkyWoman
13 weeks ago

Leeds

The Sunday Times says Mason's bets would make "thousands"

13 weeks ago

Kent

"

Whilst the offence may not be that serious, it is a criminal offence, and like Partygate offends the British sense of fair play, as Bunter found out..."

I don't think it even needs to be illegal to illustrate the grasping petty spivy Tory mindset. Same old Tories always sleazing

By *allySlinkyWoman
13 weeks ago

Leeds

"

Same old Tories always sleazing "

e.g. Baroness Mone and her PPE company

By *roadShoulderzMan
13 weeks ago

Petersfield

Looks like there are more cheating Tories going to be exposed apart from the four already exposed together the police officer, according to the evening news.

Could be an insurmountable problem for Sunak. I hope so.

Absolute gift to Labour

By *abioMan
13 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Anyway… another interesting case

Now labour have had a candidate caught up in a betting case… but in a different way

Labour have suspended one of their candidates.. Kevin Craig for betting.. but in this case he was betting against himself to win his election seat…. The kicker is that he is contesting a seat in which the Conservatives have a majority of 24,000

I am almost thinking that is a bit harsh because it’s not he was working off immediate information.. but if it’s being looked into by the election commission I suppose the Labour Party have no option but to….

Just so you can keep track on election night.. he is running in Ipswich and north Suffolk

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though

13 weeks ago

"Anyway… another interesting case

Now labour have had a candidate caught up in a betting case… but in a different way

Labour have suspended one of their candidates.. Kevin Craig for betting.. but in this case he was betting against himself to win his election seat…. The kicker is that he is contesting a seat in which the Conservatives have a majority of 24,000

I am almost thinking that is a bit harsh because it’s not he was working off immediate information.. but if it’s being looked into by the election commission I suppose the Labour Party have no option but to….

Just so you can keep track on election night.. he is running in Ipswich and north Suffolk

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though "

Surely the issue is that he can influence the outcome, ie being deliberately useless. Like a boxer betting on his opponent to win and falling down too easily.

The Tory incumbent defected to Labour recently I think?

It is oddly reminiscent of Starmer saying he only backed Corbyn because he knew Corbyn would lose.

13 weeks ago

in Lancashire

The labour guy is an idiot, there's now a fifth Tory MP and candidate, Russell George who's under investigation..

13 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though

Surely the issue is that he can influence the outcome, ie being deliberately useless. Like a boxer betting on his opponent to win and falling down too easily.

The Tory incumbent defected to Labour recently I think?

It is oddly reminiscent of Starmer saying he only backed Corbyn because he knew Corbyn would lose.

"

Except the latter isn't a potential criminal act..

13 weeks ago

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though "

the irony is that if they suspend him (they should) it means its more likely he wins his bet !

By *melie LALWoman
13 weeks ago

Peterborough

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though the irony is that if they suspend him (they should) it means its more likely he wins his bet !"

He was suspended hours ago to show just how different Labour is to the incumbent party.

13 weeks ago

Would be funny if he won/lost really close though the irony is that if they suspend him (they should) it means its more likely he wins his bet !

He was suspended hours ago to show just how different Labour is to the incumbent party."

I'm less impressed he had donated 100k (now returned). It's not a good look this.

13 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Agreed it's not a good look..

Nick Watt on News night said that according to his contacts it isn't uncommon for some candidates to place bets upon the outcome of their own campaign..

Which, whilst it isn't the same as the ones who knew the date of the election and better doesn't 'feel right'..

Allegedly now up to 15 Tories are being investigated..

13 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Agreed it's not a good look..

Nick Watt on News night said that according to his contacts it isn't uncommon for some candidates to place bets upon the outcome of their own campaign..

Which, whilst it isn't the same as the ones who knew the date of the election and better doesn't 'feel right'..

Allegedly now up to 15 Tories are being investigated.."

Betted, not better..

By *irldnCouple
13 weeks ago

Brighton

Betted, not better.."

Their last dip into the till before they get sacked?

13 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Betted, not better..

Their last dip into the till before they get sacked?"

Possibly but given what they earn, very small beer..

Certainly for the police involved not worth the loss of ones job..

By *idnight RamblerMan
13 weeks ago

Pershore

Tory MP Sir Philip Davies the latest to have a little wager on himself (to lose).

By *irldnCouple
13 weeks ago

Brighton

"Tory MP Sir Philip Davies the latest to have a little wager on himself (to lose). "

Almost feels like insider trading. A few dodgy comments from him to his constituents and hey presto seat lost, nice little earner!

By *idnight RamblerMan
13 weeks ago

Pershore

"Tory MP Sir Philip Davies the latest to have a little wager on himself (to lose).

Almost feels like insider trading. A few dodgy comments from him to his constituents and hey presto seat lost, nice little earner!"

Betting on yourself in any walk of life is outrageous - and usually banned. Betting to lose is dodgier still .....only in politics!!

Post new Message to Thread