Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Lynching

Jump to newest

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
16 weeks ago

Peterborough

Yes it's political as my question is to ask when was lynching legislated as a crime in America.

This interlude is a brief respite from current election talk.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
16 weeks ago

Peterborough

I'm watching the Billie Holiday film which starts with

"In 1937 a bill to finally ban the lynching... was considered by the senate... It did not pass".

By *hocolate37Man
16 weeks ago

Heathrow

"Yes it's political as my question is to ask when was lynching legislated as a crime in America.

This interlude is a brief respite from current election talk."

If I remember correctly, the antilynching law (The Emmett Till Law?) was passed and signed in 2022, but there were earlier attempts going back to the 1910s?

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
16 weeks ago

Peterborough

"Yes it's political as my question is to ask when was lynching legislated as a crime in America.

If I remember correctly, the antilynching law (The Emmett Till Law?) was passed and signed in 2022, but there were earlier attempts going back to the 1910s?"

I was gob smacked. I thought they had meant 1922.

By *hocolate37Man
16 weeks ago

Heathrow

If I remember correctly, the antilynching law (The Emmett Till Law?) was passed and signed in 2022, but there were earlier attempts going back to the 1910s?

I was gob smacked. I thought they had meant 1922."

Sadly, no...I just had a quick check, and the first ever signed was indeed in 1922, but the first bill introduced (and defeated) was 1900.

By *hocolate37Man
16 weeks ago

Heathrow

[Removed by poster at 09/06/24 21:39:59]

By *melie LAL OP   Woman
16 weeks ago

Peterborough

Sadly, no...I just had a quick check, and the first ever signed was indeed in 1922, but the first bill introduced (and defeated) was 1900."

I know it wasn't a mistake.

Apparently they had tried to get it passed 200 times.

It beggars belief.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
16 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Yes it's political as my question is to ask when was lynching legislated as a crime in America."

Lynching, being a form of murder, has always been illegal in the United States. The 2022 legislation made it a hate crime, which has stiffer penalties than just ordinary murder.

By *hocolate37Man
16 weeks ago

Heathrow

Sadly, no...I just had a quick check, and the first ever signed was indeed in 1922, but the first bill introduced (and defeated) was 1900.

I know it wasn't a mistake.

Apparently they had tried to get it passed 200 times.

It beggars belief."

Yep - only 3 bills passed between 1882 and 1968, out of almost 200 introductions...and according to the NAACP, none of those 3 were in the period 1890-1952 (7 president terms).

Post new Message to Thread