Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Labour Manifesto

Jump to newest

By *astandFeisty OP   Couple
4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

It should be signed off very soon, I imagine we will see its release before the end of next week.

There are strong rumours that Labour will legally recognise apaletine as a state (although Labour say there is no change in their position).

If we do see this, surely the left are clever enough to see through the bullshit, or at least question why the sudden change.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *erryspringerMan
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

Whats the point of party manifestos, they are not worth the paper they are written on.

How many of Starmers pledges when he campaigned to become leader is he still standing bye.

The same will happen to the manifesto items, then it will be blame the previous government.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Manifestos are always followed with: 'We had other things to deal with' 'What other party did was' 'The important thing is' 'Well since we have been in power we have'

They really should called 'Liarfestos'

By *irldnCouple
4 weeks ago

Brighton

"Manifestos are always followed with: 'We had other things to deal with' 'What other party did was' 'The important thing is' 'Well since we have been in power we have'

"

Ain’t that the truth!

4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Manifestos are always followed with: 'We had other things to deal with' 'What other party did was' 'The important thing is' 'Well since we have been in power we have'

"

Agreed. However, we shouldn't be so easy on them, they are already aware of what's going on when writing these manifestos.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Manifestos are rarely followed through as life gets in the way.

In my mind they are helpful only by giving a sense of what they see as important, and how they go about solving issues.

This then gives an indication of how they will approach the unknown challenges.

By *idnight RamblerMan
4 weeks ago

Pershore

"Manifestos are rarely followed through as life gets in the way.

In my mind they are helpful only by giving a sense of what they see as important, and how they go about solving issues.

"

Yes, and some inkling on how they propose to balance the books.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Agreed. However, we shouldn't be so easy on them, they are already aware of what's going on when writing these manifestos. "

But it just become water of a ducks back. If the are asked a question and they begin the reply with 'Look' or 'The issue is' 'But' then we just know that we are not getting an answer.

By *erryspringerMan
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

Agreed. However, we shouldn't be so easy on them, they are already aware of what's going on when writing these manifestos. "

Once they have thier feet under the table, not a jot you can do about until the next election.

Only people who can hold them accountable are the media. But thats dependent on who owns the media and if the incumbent is one they approve of or not.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Yes, and some inkling on how they propose to balance the books. "

agreed. Brosd strokes fine. But a sense or reasonableness needed. Saying you can save £5 in every 100 spent in public services is imo unrealistic. Saving a chunk in tax avoidance is iffy. Increasing a tax is reasonable even if there will be debate about the actual amount

4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"

That's the point of the OP.

Labour's sudden change of mind on Palestine, some would say I'm cynical in my thoughts for this (if it's true of course)

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Labour's sudden change of mind on Palestine, some would say I'm cynical in my thoughts for this (if it's true of course)"

agreed. Although I'm not 100pc sure what their original view was !

By *owestoft ManMan
4 weeks ago

Lowestoft

Politics is never a set in stone policy as things change day by day. But labor seem to take advantage of that fact. Never trusted them with anything and never will

By *iman2100Man
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

"It should be signed off very soon, I imagine we will see its release before the end of next week.

There are strong rumours that Labour will legally recognise apaletine as a state (although Labour say there is no change in their position).

If we do see this, surely the left are clever enough to see through the bullshit, or at least question why the sudden change."

I recognised "apaletine" as A state years ago just after Narnia.

By *iman2100Man
4 weeks ago

Glasgow

Labour's sudden change of mind on Palestine, some would say I'm cynical in my thoughts for this (if it's true of course)"

It is incredibly irresponsible, downright stupid and dangerous of them. What next? Oh yes, Taiwan is Chinese? Crimea and the Donbas parts of Ukraine are Russian? Pakistan is in fact Indian?

"Palestine" includes the UN recognised state of Israel. What are the Jews to do? Say sorry and go off wandering round the world again? Or use their nuclear weapons to defend against the Arab invaders supported by the British Labour Party?

By *abioMan
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"It should be signed off very soon, I imagine we will see its release before the end of next week.

If we do see this, surely the left are clever enough to see through the bullshit, or at least question why the sudden change."

More and more countries are going to do this… even in the UN a few weeks ago the UK only abstained on a vote for Palestine to be a full member in the security council .. so it wasn’t a no (it was something like 14 yes, 2 abstained and only the US said no and vetoed it)

It will come sooner rather than later, the interesting response will be what Israel do, as they basically sanctioned Ireland, Spain and Norway business wise for doing it!

France could honestly be next… would Israel try the same action against a larger country they more rely on?

4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

If we do see this, surely the left are clever enough to see through the bullshit, or at least question why the sudden change.

More and more countries are going to do this… even in the UN a few weeks ago the UK only abstained on a vote for Palestine to be a full member in the security council .. so it wasn’t a no (it was something like 14 yes, 2 abstained and only the US said no and vetoed it)

It will come sooner rather than later, the interesting response will be what Israel do, as they basically sanctioned Ireland, Spain and Norway business wise for doing it!

France could honestly be next… would Israel try the same action against a larger country they more rely on? "

Your figures are wrong but I understand the point.

I also understand that there will be more calls for this but its irrelevant to the question I posed.

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Rayner said Labour would recognise Palestine if they were elected, publicly to her constituents.

I would be curious to know if that was always the case, or if the leadership needed to add in after she came out with it in public.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
4 weeks ago

Central

They will be judged on this, disproportionately to the last few leaders. Let's see how they do!

By *idnightMischiefMan
4 weeks ago

London

I will lose respect for Starmer if he alludes to a Palestinian state, but I have to consider what's going on in this country first.

I'm just glad that Israel takes absolutely no notice of anything any other state says, and will carry on defending its own people regardless.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Hasn't labour always backed a two state solution ?

Doesn't this involve recognising Palestine as a state ?

By *idnightMischiefMan
4 weeks ago

London

The West makes a lot of noise about a two state solution, but seem deluded by thinking it's even a possibility.

Effectively a two-state solution was in place in 1922, after the creation of Transjordan (now Jordan) - in summary a line was cut down the Jordan River, with Arab Palestine to the east and Jewish Palestine to the west.

It was part of the white paper that clarified the Balfour Declaration, and was a response to the rioting of the previous two years.

The reason this is important to know, is that it demonstrates how Arabs don't want a separate state, qnd never have done.

Israel have previously been willing to have one, but I think they're sick of it now, and just want to be done with the nutters on their doorstep.

By *abioMan
4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

France could honestly be next… would Israel try the same action against a larger country they more rely on?

Your figures are wrong but I understand the point.

I also understand that there will be more calls for this but its irrelevant to the question I posed. "

I apologise… forgot how many countries were on the UN Security Council at any 1 time

15 members… vote was 12 for, 2 abstained (UK and Switzerland) and 1 voted against (the US who used their veto)

Why is it irrelevant to the question you posed… there are already about 2 dozen countries around the world who do already recognise Palestine, the only reason why the Ireland/spain/norway decision made headlines was they were the first Western European countries to do so

France voted yes in the UNSC meeting, I would not honestly be surprised if they were the next EU member to take that step…

The thing is more and more countries are moving in that direction… it’s not the big controversy that it was

All labour would do is likely use exactly the same wordage the other 3 countries did

By *oubleswing2019Man
4 weeks ago

Colchester

I tend to think of manifestos as "declarations of intent". Not necessarily cast in stone, but something they would like to achieve.

After all, circumstances can change in a fast-moving world, often dramatically. Nailing your colours hard to the mast is foolish and leaves you no "wiggle room" to adapt to unforseen change.

Always leave "wiggle room." Better still, plan for it every time and build it in to plans. Contingency planning is essential.

Instead of "We are going to do X", reframe to "We aspire to do X".

People still have something to get behind, but you make it clear that that's not immutable and subject to change. Just like life.

Post new Message to Thread