Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Tory Toilet Transphobia Solution.

Jump to newest

By *CBoy OP   TV/TS
4 weeks ago

Penygraig

So the Tories have found another minority to pick on now the Irish, Blacks , Jews and Muslems are too organised.

However much they do love shit stiring there is a very simple and relativity inexpensive solution to their invented toilet issue .. simply redesignate "Disabled cublicles" as "Physically challenged and Privacy necessary ". These single person units are already unisex and the only cost would be a newly designed door sign.

Sorry to take the wind out the bigots sails ..they'll have to find another minority to persecute now...oh dear.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *estivalMan
4 weeks ago

borehamwood

"So the Tories have found another minority to pick on now the Irish, Blacks , Jews and Muslems are too organised.

However much they do love shit stiring there is a very simple and relativity inexpensive solution to their invented toilet issue .. simply redesignate "Disabled cublicles" as "Physically challenged and Privacy necessary ". These single person units are already unisex and the only cost would be a newly designed door sign.

Sorry to take the wind out the bigots sails ..they'll have to find another minority to persecute now...oh dear."

disabled bogs are for disabled people im pretty sure being trans dosent count as a disability

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"So the Tories have found another minority to pick on now the Irish, Blacks , Jews and Muslems are too organised.

Sorry to take the wind out the bigots sails ..they'll have to find another minority to persecute now...oh dear."

Disagree with your label, but if you think of the stereo type ladies and gents image, draw half male and half female together, then add simple disabled icon, job done.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
4 weeks ago

Border of London

A well-meaning artist tried this a few years ago at one of her gigs. She apologised that the venue had men's and women's toilets (for their respective biological sexes only) and that this was not negotiable but the venue. So she offered disabled toilets to those for whom those arrangements were unacceptable.

Disabled people then got upset, explaining that they already had enough difficulty with toilet access and that this simply pushed them further down, since they could not choose to use any other toilets.

This really isn't a solution, unless someone is offering to build a whole lot more disabled toilets.

Or, this might happen:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D49vvl7BPro

(not for the faint of heart)

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

Lots of music venues and pubs round here just have unisex bathrooms with cubicles.

Problem solved.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple
4 weeks ago

Border of London

Sorry to take the wind out the bigots sails ..they'll have to find another minority to persecute now...oh dear.

Lots of music venues and pubs round here just have unisex bathrooms with cubicles.

Problem solved."

Agreed, new builds should definitely consider this.

Many older buildings (or those with restricted space) can't afford the space or logistics, though.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

[Removed by poster at 04/06/24 11:01:20]

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Sanisettes are the answer in a large public space - they make a sh*tload of money too.

But in truth, bars clubs, restaurants in the main couldn't afford major refurbishments to accommodate even the slightest change is legislation that changed from the norm we have now.

So. New build only, perhaps.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

Ah, maybe there is another answer.

For example, you have four toilets:

So . . .

Males toilets have one urinal and two cubicals and a twin sink.

Females have two cubicals and a twin sink.

It wouldn't be that difficult to have two doors alongside each other with a partition wall between, and remove the urinals entirely in the male toilets. Then have one cubical and one sink.

The same with the female toilets.

The only thing to designate then is that the toilets are for use by anyone and are single occupancy.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
4 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

"Ah, maybe there is another answer.

So . . .

It wouldn't be that difficult to have two doors alongside each other with a partition wall between, and remove the urinals entirely in the male toilets. Then have one cubical and one sink.

The only thing to designate then is that the toilets are for use by anyone and are single occupancy.

"

Isn't part of the issue that some blokes can be right dirty bastards and women may not want to use the same facilities? Hubby only has experience at student bars years ago and the lads toilets were by far the worst.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
4 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

[Removed by poster at 04/06/24 11:41:00]

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
4 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Glass fishing at the end of the night! Not sneaking in for a ganza.

By *ostindreamsMan
4 weeks ago

London

I think we should just give everyone a water recycler kit like they wear in the Dune film and be done with. Saves time, real estate and water. We should invest in this technology.

By *atEvolutionCouple
4 weeks ago

So . . .

Isn't part of the issue that some blokes can be right dirty bastards and women may not want to use the same facilities? Hubby only has experience at student bars years ago and the lads toilets were by far the worst."

Single occupancy is the answer

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Are the Tories even looking at toilets ? (Other than when looking at their election campaign)

Impression I got was more around pushing GRC (all 7k of them) back into their birth sex under the law

Which of course affects trans men (C a third) as well as trans women.

By *eavilMan
4 weeks ago

Stalybridge

"I think we should just give everyone a water recycler kit like they wear in the Dune film and be done with. Saves time, real estate and water. We should invest in this technology."

If you want to go down this route will you be advocating for giant sand worms to be introduced to keep down on rough sleepers?

By *ostindreamsMan
4 weeks ago

London

"I think we should just give everyone a water recycler kit like they wear in the Dune film and be done with. Saves time, real estate and water. We should invest in this technology.

If you want to go down this route will you be advocating for giant sand worms to be introduced to keep down on rough sleepers?"

Don't give ideas for the Tories

By *icolerobbieCouple
4 weeks ago

walsall

So . . .

Isn't part of the issue that some blokes can be right dirty bastards and women may not want to use the same facilities? Hubby only has experience at student bars years ago and the lads toilets were by far the worst.

Single occupancy is the answer"

The queues in nightclubs for the gents would be like the queues for the ladies.

The urinals make for a quick pee and go.

By *lectra_LuxTV/TS
4 weeks ago

LEICESTER

Glad somebody actually recognises what is happening but this is not new. Trans people have been dealing with this issue for many years - 22 years in my case, when in 2002, I told my employer that I wanted to undergo gender reassignment. The HR officer's first thoughts on the matter involved a mental picture of me standing at a urinal with my skirt hoisted round my waist, which she unwisely chose to vocalise.

Toilet facilities are only a small part of a much bigger narrative which successive governments have been bungling since 1999 when the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 was amended to allow Trans people (limited) protection from discrimination in the workplace.

On Monday the outgoing (and hopefully never returning) Women and Equalities minister announced that if they won the election, a Conservative government would amend the definition of sex Which would see trans people stripped of the rights they have enjoyed since 2011, when the Equality Act 2010 came into effect.

People like me who have lived their lives for years are bring forced back into spaces we don't feel we belong in ... not just toilets, but all services which cater to women only will be off limits to trans women and, mutatis mutandis, to trans men.

All this is happening largely because an overly rich author who had experienced domestic violence at the hands of her male partner projected her experience onto a much bigger picture and funded a huge campaign to establish in principle that, in humans, our sex is something we are born with and cannot be changed. She has been supported in her endeavours by a so-called feminist movement espousing gender critical beliefs.

For the avoidance of doubt I despise men who inflict violence on women (and vice versa) as a means of control and what happened to JK Rowling was unforgivable. Domestic violence is a stain on our society. But as somebody who has been involved in the commissioning and delivery of lgbt+ support services I know that trans people are far more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Closing the door to DV support services on transwomen because you do not believe trans women are women violates every principle of the Equality Act.

In Forstater v CGD the courts found in favour of the Claimant and established that it is unlawful to discriminate against somebody for holding the belief that sex cannot be changed. It is overlooked that the very same ruling also supports a contrary position.

Evangelical Christians and the far right have invested in the gender critical movement and their goal is much bigger than excluding trans people from public conveniences. They are offended by our presence and they do not want to see us in their world.

It is a familiar story. It begins with the propagation of hate speech, then people are excluded from society and subjected to violence and sometimes it leads to genocide.

So remember that it isn't just about toilets. It's about our right to be the people we are.

But right here and now I've been working on this post too long and I need a wee ...

Resources

The Nature of Prejudice, Gordon W Allport 1954

The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust

www.hmd.org.uk

Forstater v CGD Europe and others ET/22200909/2019

By *otMe66Man
4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Glad somebody actually recognises what is happening but this is not new. Trans people have been dealing with this issue for many years - 22 years in my case, when in 2002, I told my employer that I wanted to undergo gender reassignment. The HR officer's first thoughts on the matter involved a mental picture of me standing at a urinal with my skirt hoisted round my waist, which she unwisely chose to vocalise.

Toilet facilities are only a small part of a much bigger narrative which successive governments have been bungling since 1999 when the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 was amended to allow Trans people (limited) protection from discrimination in the workplace.

On Monday the outgoing (and hopefully never returning) Women and Equalities minister announced that if they won the election, a Conservative government would amend the definition of sex Which would see trans people stripped of the rights they have enjoyed since 2011, when the Equality Act 2010 came into effect.

People like me who have lived their lives for years are bring forced back into spaces we don't feel we belong in ... not just toilets, but all services which cater to women only will be off limits to trans women and, mutatis mutandis, to trans men.

All this is happening largely because an overly rich author who had experienced domestic violence at the hands of her male partner projected her experience onto a much bigger picture and funded a huge campaign to establish in principle that, in humans, our sex is something we are born with and cannot be changed. She has been supported in her endeavours by a so-called feminist movement espousing gender critical beliefs.

For the avoidance of doubt I despise men who inflict violence on women (and vice versa) as a means of control and what happened to JK Rowling was unforgivable. Domestic violence is a stain on our society. But as somebody who has been involved in the commissioning and delivery of lgbt+ support services I know that trans people are far more likely to be victims than perpetrators. Closing the door to DV support services on transwomen because you do not believe trans women are women violates every principle of the Equality Act.

In Forstater v CGD the courts found in favour of the Claimant and established that it is unlawful to discriminate against somebody for holding the belief that sex cannot be changed. It is overlooked that the very same ruling also supports a contrary position.

Evangelical Christians and the far right have invested in the gender critical movement and their goal is much bigger than excluding trans people from public conveniences. They are offended by our presence and they do not want to see us in their world.

It is a familiar story. It begins with the propagation of hate speech, then people are excluded from society and subjected to violence and sometimes it leads to genocide.

So remember that it isn't just about toilets. It's about our right to be the people we are.

But right here and now I've been working on this post too long and I need a wee ...

Resources

The Nature of Prejudice, Gordon W Allport 1954

The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust

www.hmd.org.uk

Forstater v CGD Europe and others ET/22200909/2019"

If the law is to be changed it will need to be debated, voted upon and therefore be agreed. Through our MP’s the decision would follow the law of the land, and the outcome is not a foregone conclusion but it would be fair.

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"The conservative Party has pledged to amend the Equality Act to ensure protections based on sex apply exclusively to biological sex, aiming to clarify definitions and enhance safety for women and girls.

The Tories argue that this change will simplify operations for women-focused service providers, such as those running domestic abuse sessions, by allowing them to exclude biological males without legal repercussions. Sunak insists this move will safeguard women and girls while respecting everyone’s privacy and dignity.

Labour’s shadow defence secretary John Healey criticised the proposal, calling it an unnecessary distraction from core issues. He acknowledged the need for clearer guidance but maintained that the Equality Act already protects single-sex spaces for biological women.

Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper expressed willingness to provide further guidance for public services but warned against dismantling legislation that protects both women and trans women. She stressed that these protections were hard-fought and should not be undermined.

The proposed changes would also see UK government decisions on gender reassignment applied uniformly across the UK, including Scotland. Scottish National Party leader John Swinney accused the Conservatives of targeting the Scottish Parliament and devolved government.

Under the Equality Act 2010, it is illegal to discriminate based on “protected characteristics” like age, disability, religion, race, sex, and sexual orientation. Interpretations of “sex” have varied, with some viewing it strictly as biological sex and others including individuals with a gender recognition certificate (GRC).

The Conservatives want the Act to apply solely to biological sex, stating that single-sex spaces like public toilets and hospital wards, as well as services like r@pe crisis centres, should not have to accommodate biologically male individuals who identify as female. They argue that the Act has not kept pace with evolving interpretations of sex and gender.

The party’s stance has sparked controversy, with critics accusing them of seeking to divide and demonise transgender people.  Badenoch also indicated that the proposed changes would allow service providers discretion in accepting trans women with GRCs into women-only spaces without fear of legal challenges.

The Equality Act currently allows service providers to exclude certain groups if it is a “proportionate means” of achieving a “legitimate aim”.

In 2023, Badenoch sought advice from the EHRC on the impact of these changes. EHRC chair Baroness Kishwer Falkner said that while the change could clarify a contentious issue, it might also introduce ambiguity, particularly regarding equal pay and sex discrimination".

Is the proposed overhaul clarifying or muddying the waters.

I think it's clarifying the legal stance of no prosecution for exclusion AND no prosecution for inclusion.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Again, I'm not sure what the problem is the Tories are trying to solve.

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex

services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex

Are they saying the exceptions don't work... And if not why not address that ?

It's telling that they (afaik) haven't called out toilets as an example. Tje ones they did seem to have the potential to be covered by the exceptions.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
4 weeks ago

golden fields

"Again, I'm not sure what the problem is the Tories are trying to solve. "

Losing votes to Reform.

"

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex

services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex

Are they saying the exceptions don't work... And if not why not address that ?

It's telling that they (afaik) haven't called out toilets as an example. Tje ones they did seem to have the potential to be covered by the exceptions.

"

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Again, I'm not sure what the problem is the Tories are trying to solve.

"

That no one in their right mind is going to vote for them.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex"

That's true, but it doesn't work if no one can agree what 'sex' means. My understanding is that they intend to put in a definition of 'sex', so that the courts can tell what the law does and doesn't allow.

By *aimeDWoman
4 weeks ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

"

This is just it, they’re not trying to solve a problem, they’re trying to distract people by drawing their anger and hate towards any group other than themselves and the Trans community has become an easy target to get peoples pulses racing.

This election day, don’t allow yourself to be blinded to the real issues that affect the country

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex

That's true, but it doesn't work if no one can agree what 'sex' means. My understanding is that they intend to put in a definition of 'sex', so that the courts can tell what the law does and doesn't allow."

But according to my reading if EHRC one can provision against trans.

" There are circumstances where a lawfully-established separate or

single-sex service provider can prevent, limit or modify trans people’s

access to the service. This is allowed under the Act. However, limiting or

modifying access to, or excluding a trans person from, the separate or

single-sex service of the gender in which they present might be unlawful

if you cannot show such action is a proportionate means of achieving a

legitimate aim. This applies whether the person has a Gender

Recognition Certificate or not. "

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex

That's true, but it doesn't work if no one can agree what 'sex' means. My understanding is that they intend to put in a definition of 'sex', so that the courts can tell what the law does and doesn't allow.

Recognition Certificate or not. ""

My take made for easier reading

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

My take made for easier reading "

yh. Howevee quoting EHCR may helps add to the credibility do what I'm saying especially as my ability to write is hampered by my brain !

By *melie LALWoman
4 weeks ago

Peterborough

My take made for easier reading yh. Howevee quoting EHCR may helps add to the credibility do what I'm saying especially as my ability to write is hampered by my brain ! "

You have a brain injury too?

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

My take made for easier reading yh. Howevee quoting EHCR may helps add to the credibility do what I'm saying especially as my ability to write is hampered by my brain !

You have a brain injury too? "

nope, just neuro spicy.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

The Equality Act allows for the provision of separate or single sex services in certain circumstances under ‘exceptions’ relating to sex"

"That's true, but it doesn't work if no one can agree what 'sex' means. My understanding is that they intend to put in a definition of 'sex', so that the courts can tell what the law does and doesn't allow."

"But according to my reading if EHRC one can provision against trans.

legitimate aim. This applies whether the person has a Gender Recognition Certificate or not. ""

Agreed.

However an argument could be made that the word 'trans' only applies to people that are transitioning, and that the issue of a gender recognition certificate is proof that the person has now 'changed sex', and is not covered by the 'trans' parts of the law.

It would be a poor argument, but lawyers love this sort of challenge, and could come up with endless quibbles about exactly what each word means. Hundreds of cases could be brought, and only one of them needs to succeed to cause a precedent and change the interpretation.

That can all be forestalled if the Act contains a well written definition of what 'sex' is, and who falls into which category.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

legitimate aim. This applies whether the person has a Gender Recognition Certificate or not. "

Agreed.

However an argument could be made that the word 'trans' only applies to people that are transitioning, and that the issue of a gender recognition certificate is proof that the person has now 'changed sex', and is not covered by the 'trans' parts of the law.

It would be a poor argument, but lawyers love this sort of challenge, and could come up with endless quibbles about exactly what each word means. Hundreds of cases could be brought, and only one of them needs to succeed to cause a precedent and change the interpretation.

That can all be forestalled if the Act contains a well written definition of what 'sex' is, and who falls into which category."

or a well written explanation in the exceptions bit that says when it comes to GRC, they are defined based on sex at birth regardless of what their certificate now says.

The fact we don't have this in case law suggests we are currently arguing over hypotheticals, even tho it's been in place for years.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"That's true, but it doesn't work if no one can agree what 'sex' means. My understanding is that they intend to put in a definition of 'sex', so that the courts can tell what the law does and doesn't allow."

"But according to my reading if EHRC one can provision against trans.

legitimate aim. This applies whether the person has a Gender Recognition Certificate or not. ""

"Agreed.

That can all be forestalled if the Act contains a well written definition of what 'sex' is, and who falls into which category."

"or a well written explanation in the exceptions bit that says when it comes to GRC, they are defined based on sex at birth regardless of what their certificate now says."

That might be exactly what they are planning. No one knows yet.

"The fact we don't have this in case law suggests we are currently arguing over hypotheticals, even tho it's been in place for years."

Agreed, we are arguing over hypotheticals. But that hasn't stopped a whole load of people insisting that the only possible reason for the Tories wanting to change the law is that they are attempting to exterminate trans people.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

legitimate aim. This applies whether the person has a Gender Recognition Certificate or not. "

Agreed.

That can all be forestalled if the Act contains a well written definition of what 'sex' is, and who falls into which category.

or a well written explanation in the exceptions bit that says when it comes to GRC, they are defined based on sex at birth regardless of what their certificate now says.

That might be exactly what they are planning. No one knows yet.

The fact we don't have this in case law suggests we are currently arguing over hypotheticals, even tho it's been in place for years.

Agreed, we are arguing over hypotheticals. But that hasn't stopped a whole load of people insisting that the only possible reason for the Tories wanting to change the law is that they are attempting to exterminate trans people."

that's ott (not seen it). But if they are looking at a subtle change, they are fanning other flames on a sensitive topic by what they have said to date. Which isn't a good look in itself.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Agreed, we are arguing over hypotheticals. But that hasn't stopped a whole load of people insisting that the only possible reason for the Tories wanting to change the law is that they are attempting to exterminate trans people."

"that's ott (not seen it)."

Search this thread for "genocide", then read the paragraphs above.

By *AFKA HovisMan
4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Agreed, we are arguing over hypotheticals. But that hasn't stopped a whole load of people insisting that the only possible reason for the Tories wanting to change the law is that they are attempting to exterminate trans people.

that's ott (not seen it).

Search this thread for "genocide", then read the paragraphs above."

thx.

Tbf I don't think the poster is saying the only reason Tories want this is an attempt to exterminate, but that this can be a (unintended) consequence of targeting a marginalised group.

I think today's Tory party just want votes.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple
4 weeks ago

Cumbria

There are almost certainly people within the Tory party who would not be uncomfortable with exterminating trans people, among many other minorities, but as has been said, this is about votes.

They have been helped by the likes of Rowling, who is happy to ally with the far right and ‘Christian’ nationalist types from across the pond, to create a threat that gets people riled up. Having an enemy is great for unity and rallying the troops, having an enemy that is almost entirely powerless is even better.

Post new Message to Thread