Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Wealthy white men are UK’s biggest transport polluters

Jump to newest

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man
17 weeks ago

nearby

Wealthy white men from rural areas are the UK’s biggest emitters of climate-heating gases from transport, according to a study by the Institute for Public Policy Research.

The richest 0.1% in Britain emit 22 times more from transport than low earners, and 12 times more than average. The data finds that income is directly linked to levels of mobility, with people who earn more than £100,000 travelling on average at least double the distance each year compared with those on incomes under £30,000.

Those in the most deprived 10% are responsible for by far the fewest emissions, though flying still makes up more than half of their total emissions.

Anecdotal, four people I know with range rovers are all white and wealthy.

Incoming labour will make them less wealthy but starmer has u turned on environmental pledge, and will he be brave enough to target white polluters.

Full article on todays guardian

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idnight RamblerMan
17 weeks ago

Pershore

"Wealthy white men from rural areas are the UK’s biggest emitters of climate-heating gases from transport, according to a study by the Institute for Public Policy Research.

The richest 0.1% in Britain emit 22 times more from transport than low earners, and 12 times more than average. The data finds that income is directly linked to levels of mobility, with people who earn more than £100,000 travelling on average at least double the distance each year compared with those on incomes under £30,000.

Those in the most deprived 10% are responsible for by far the fewest emissions, though flying still makes up more than half of their total emissions.

Anecdotal, four people I know with range rovers are all white and wealthy.

Incoming labour will make them less wealthy but starmer has u turned on environmental pledge, and will he be brave enough to target white polluters.

Full article on todays guardian

"

The Guardian you say?

Maybe that illustrious organ has missed the point that people in rural areas might have to drive more? Even white men.

By *atEvolutionCouple
17 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

And we are back on the 'ENVY' train. All aboard - choo choo !!!

But perhaps they are the businessmen that travel lots to create business and give people jobs that give people incomes that pay for their mortgages yadda yadda yadda.

And the spoils of wealth - to some, might just be a well-earned bright green envy (oops Evoque) Range Rover.

By *ssex_tomMan
17 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Well when they do these surveys someone has to be top and some bottom.

By *irldnCouple
17 weeks ago

Brighton

"Well when they do these surveys someone has to be top and some bottom. "

That sounds like a very specific Fab descriptor

By *otMe66Man
17 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I'm not buying into this guardian lazy nonsense

0.1% is the old tag of describing the wealthiest in society, using it as a catch all, indicates no real numbers are behind this, as not all wealthy people live in the country side, or are white.

By *irldnCouple
17 weeks ago

Brighton

"I'm not buying into this guardian lazy nonsense

0.1% is the old tag of describing the wealthiest in society, using it as a catch all, indicates no real numbers are behind this, as not all wealthy people live in the country side, or are white.

"

Or drive Range Rovers! Some of us drive BMWs

By *atEvolutionCouple
17 weeks ago

The Maid has taken the Butler to Waitrose in the Tractor. I don't know how I cope sometimes.

And really, how does this metal thing fit on this tin? And what do I do with the windy looking thing?

By *otMe66Man
17 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Or drive Range Rovers! Some of us drive BMWs "

Pfffft, the thought of driving oneself.

Right, I need to go and do some polluting by driving aimlessly around my private runway for a few hours.

By *ssex_tomMan
17 weeks ago

Chelmsford

If the 'research' showed an ethnic minority were top polluters they would call out racism. Overweight rich whites and it's called privilige

By *ess n BenCouple
17 weeks ago

Didcot

You will be lucky to get insurance for a Range Rover now even Land Rover insurance will not insure them

By *atEvolutionCouple
17 weeks ago

"You will be lucky to get insurance for a Range Rover now even Land Rover insurance will not insure them"

Actually.

'Range Rover insurance: owners to receive £1800 towards cover Contributions of £150 a month aim to reduce Range Rover and Range Rover Sport premiums...'

08 May 2024

By *erlicanMan
17 weeks ago

Newbury

I get SO pissed off with this.

I have an X5 to tow a caravan. I could do so for 10 years and STILL not create the same emissions per head as one cheap Ryanair flight to Paris.

I haven't flown for 20 years.

Meanwhile China pumps out 26% of ALL emissions whilst we fuck about buying cheap Chinese cars from a State described as HOSTILE by our own Govt!

By *astandFeistyCouple
17 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"You will be lucky to get insurance for a Range Rover now even Land Rover insurance will not insure them"

You don't need to be lucky, just wealthy.

For some of us, it's not a problem

By *erlicanMan
17 weeks ago

Newbury

I believe we call that 'touché'

By *irldnCouple
17 weeks ago

Brighton

Or drive Range Rovers! Some of us drive BMWs

Pfffft, the thought of driving oneself.

Right, I need to go and do some polluting by driving aimlessly around my private runway for a few hours.

"

Oh I know I am a bit eccentric but I actually enjoy driving automobiles.

By *irldnCouple
17 weeks ago

Brighton

"I get SO pissed off with this.

I have an X5 to tow a caravan. I could do so for 10 years and STILL not create the same emissions per head as one cheap Ryanair flight to Paris.

Meanwhile China pumps out 26% of ALL emissions whilst we fuck about buying cheap Chinese cars from a State described as HOSTILE by our own Govt!"

Problem with blaming emissions on China is that the West outsourced most of our manufacturing and heavy (polluting) industry to them.

By *ess n BenCouple
17 weeks ago

Didcot

"You will be lucky to get insurance for a Range Rover now even Land Rover insurance will not insure them

Actually.

'Range Rover insurance: owners to receive £1800 towards cover Contributions of £150 a month aim to reduce Range Rover and Range Rover Sport premiums...'

08 May 2024"

Who’s I had not sold mine then

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
17 weeks ago

golden fields

Meanwhile China pumps out 26% of ALL emissions whilst we fuck about buying cheap Chinese cars from a State described as HOSTILE by our own Govt!

Problem with blaming emissions on China is that the West outsourced most of our manufacturing and heavy (polluting) industry to them. "

And their CO2 emissions are only slightly higher per person than ours.

And they're making huge strides into renewables.

And it's no excuse for not doing our part.

By *ostindreamsMan
17 weeks ago

London

These pesky wealthy white people need eat healthy to control their emissions

By *ostindreamsMan
17 weeks ago

London

Problem with blaming emissions on China is that the West outsourced most of our manufacturing and heavy (polluting) industry to them. "

There is also this matter of population. We need to look at emissions per capita, unless people want to "magically" reduce the population of these countries.

By *ostindreamsMan
17 weeks ago

London

Also funny that the "anti-racist" guardian is happy to blame race whenever it's convenient for them. I call them the daily mail of the left for the right reasons.

By *eroy1000Man
17 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Also funny that the "anti-racist" guardian is happy to blame race whenever it's convenient for them. I call them the daily mail of the left for the right reasons."

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
17 weeks ago

Gilfach

Really? People that have more money to spend on things are more likely to spend more money on things. Gasp! Thank goodness the Guardian have shed light on this vital finding.

Since no one else has posted it: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/29/wealthy-white-men-uk-biggest-transport-polluters

By *00STERMan
17 weeks ago

nearby

Land rover, porsche and a pilot ... I'm smashing this rich white polluter identity !!

By *otMe66Man
17 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Land rover, porsche and a pilot ... I'm smashing this rich white polluter identity !!"

Top trumps old boy

By *00STERMan
17 weeks ago

nearby

"Land rover, porsche and a pilot ... I'm smashing this rich white polluter identity !!

Top trumps old boy "

Life's short, enjoy it and don't spoil it by measuring against others.

By *otMe66Man
17 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Land rover, porsche and a pilot ... I'm smashing this rich white polluter identity !!

Top trumps old boy

Life's short, enjoy it and don't spoil it by measuring against others."

Agreed, but I would love a go in your jet

By *irldnCouple
17 weeks ago

Brighton

Top trumps old boy

Life's short, enjoy it and don't spoil it by measuring against others."

There’s a few on here who like to use Lynx cans and Sky remotes to measure!

By *erlicanMan
17 weeks ago

Newbury

Yes, true enough. But the simple fact is that we're all busting our balls with buying EVs, solar panels, heat source pumps, and wind turbines from the very place costing the most emissions. Our sub-1% level won't make a blind bit of difference as long as they keep building coal stations to service that.

And a) I don't TRUST the Chinese, who control 85% of lithium stock, b) hack the MOD, c) threaten war over Taiwan, d) if rumours are correct, their cars are tracked / controlled by them. Oh, and they're banned from our mobile networks by a Govt that SPECIFIES they're hostile!

By *erlicanMan
17 weeks ago

Newbury

Every 3 years for the past 20, China has poured more hugely carbon-negative concrete than the USA used in the ENTIRE 20th Century. They're building coal-fired stations every month to service factories building the very products WE are being forced to buy to counter THEIR emissions. And 'per head' comparisons are patently ridiculous when 80% of Chinese citizens are living in rural poverty. I don't mind doing our part. So tell you what - STOP all leisure flying. It's hugely polluting, essentially unnecessary, and ludicrously cheap considering the damage its doing.

By (user no longer on site)
17 weeks ago

"Really? People that have more money to spend on things are more likely to spend more money on things. Gasp! Thank goodness the Guardian have shed light on this vital finding.

Since no one else has posted it: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/29/wealthy-white-men-uk-biggest-transport-polluters"

poor article.

Wealthy people are the biggest contributor.

Also, men tend to pollute more than women.

Non white tend to travel less far than white.

(These two could be confounding)

Rural tend to travel by car more (I can't see anything on overall travel).

And this is broad averages. Ones own experience doesnt disprove this.

Poor tend to travel less than richer.

17 weeks ago

It depends on how they define wealthy. For starters they mean folk who's wealth they can trace. It never ceases to amaze how many folk have more money than the King. You know, the guy that has a parliament and armed forces that swears loyalty directly to them...

17 weeks ago

"It depends on how they define wealthy. For starters they mean folk who's wealth they can trace. It never ceases to amaze how many folk have more money than the King. You know, the guy that has a parliament and armed forces that swears loyalty directly to them..."
earnings. Tho I'd imagine if we used wealth it would be even more stark.

By *eroy1000Man
17 weeks ago

milton keynes

Although wealthy people buy more things like bigger faster cars, much of what they buy is more efficient than say my 16 year old car. Have they taken that into account?. No idea where the colour of a person's skin fits in. Are wealthy white people more polluting than wealthy non white people?

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man
17 weeks ago

nearby

"Although wealthy people buy more things like bigger faster cars, much of what they buy is more efficient than say my 16 year old car. Have they taken that into account?. No idea where the colour of a person's skin fits in. Are wealthy white people more polluting than wealthy non white people?"

Yeah I didn’t get the inclusion of skin tone either

The 2011 census says White British population was 49,997,686, 81.5% of Great Britain's total population, so not hard to see the weighting of the research.

17 weeks ago

"Although wealthy people buy more things like bigger faster cars, much of what they buy is more efficient than say my 16 year old car. Have they taken that into account?. No idea where the colour of a person's skin fits in. Are wealthy white people more polluting than wealthy non white people?"
see above. It's poor reporting and ignored confounding factors.

If wealth is a big factor (feels right) and, on average, white people are richer than non-white, you'd expect to see white people pollute more.

Now it may be the have done full multi variate analysis. I haven't looked at their methodology. I stopped once I realised they never said what the headline said.

17 weeks ago

"Although wealthy people buy more things like bigger faster cars, much of what they buy is more efficient than say my 16 year old car. Have they taken that into account?. No idea where the colour of a person's skin fits in. Are wealthy white people more polluting than wealthy non white people?see above. It's poor reporting and ignored confounding factors.

If wealth is a big factor (feels right) and, on average, white people are richer than non-white, you'd expect to see white people pollute more.

Now it may be the have done full multi variate analysis. I haven't looked at their methodology. I stopped once I realised they never said what the headline said. "

It's a load of bollox that's what it is.

Post new Message to Thread