Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Minister for common sense

Jump to newest

By *andu66 OP   Couple
8 weeks ago

South Devon

But hey stop the boats...woof woof... whistle whistle

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/21/esther-mcvey-expenses-flat-philip-davies

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *deepdiveMan
8 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

I don't understand why the government simply don't rent rooms out (from hotels etc. at a reasonable rate without lining the pockets of the hoteliers..) to MP's who have to travel therefore controlling the costs.

Allowing them to rent flats and paying the rent seems a bit extravagant.

How many private companies could afford to pay the rent of flats for their staff when they were visiting other offices?

By *verysmileMan
8 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

"I don't understand why the government simply don't rent rooms out (from hotels etc. at a reasonable rate without lining the pockets of the hoteliers..) to MP's who have to travel therefore controlling the costs.

How many private companies could afford to pay the rent of flats for their staff when they were visiting other offices?"

Plenty of companies pay for long term rentals as if you require long term accommodation, it is cheaper to rent a flat than pay for London hotels.

When I worked in Birmingham for 11 months, my rental with expenses worked out at £1500 a month less than a hotel.

By *deepdiveMan
8 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"I don't understand why the government simply don't rent rooms out (from hotels etc. at a reasonable rate without lining the pockets of the hoteliers..) to MP's who have to travel therefore controlling the costs.

How many private companies could afford to pay the rent of flats for their staff when they were visiting other offices?

Plenty of companies pay for long term rentals as if you require long term accommodation, it is cheaper to rent a flat than pay for London hotels.

When I worked in Birmingham for 11 months, my rental with expenses worked out at £1500 a month less than a hotel."

Agreed on the example that you have given and we did the same for someone who had to stay on the same place for a long period of time but surely MP's are constituency based and only visiting for shorter periods of time.

Perhaps a study had already been carried out and hotel rooms are too expensive in comparison with flats but, as usual, these things are never published and you only hear about the exceptions.

By *verysmileMan
8 weeks ago

CANTERBURY

When I worked in Birmingham for 11 months, my rental with expenses worked out at £1500 a month less than a hotel.

Agreed on the example that you have given and we did the same for someone who had to stay on the same place for a long period of time but surely MP's are constituency based and only visiting for shorter periods of time.

Perhaps a study had already been carried out and hotel rooms are too expensive in comparison with flats but, as usual, these things are never published and you only hear about the exceptions."

Even if the costs were the same, long term stays in hotels, without the security to be able to store constituency papers that you may be working on in the evenings and the effect of only using the place as a bedroom with no chill out area, makes long term hotel stays for working away undesirable.

For anybody who knows what I mean, you get to that "beans on toast" moment when relying on restaurant and take away food, does your brain in.

Post new Message to Thread