Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

British Train Lines

Jump to newest

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

Almost All British Train Lines Are Now Owned By Other EU Countries.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2019/08/15/almost-all-british-train-lines-are-now-owned-by-other-eu-countries/

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ercuryMan
10 weeks ago

Grantham

Almost all? Apart from:-

The whole of Scotland

The whole of Wales

The East Coast Mainline

Trans-Pennine Express

Northern Trains

SE Trains

Network Rail own the lines. Operators pay to run services on them!

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

"Almost all? Apart from:-

The whole of Scotland

The whole of Wales

The East Coast Mainline

Trans-Pennine Express

Northern Trains

SE Trains

Network Rail own the lines. Operators pay to run services on them!

"

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

Rail firm paid shareholders £500m before asking workers to take wage cut

CEOs of the six biggest train companies also took home a combined salary of more than £5m in 2020

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/firstgroup-abellio-rail-strikes-rmt-shareholders-payout/

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
10 weeks ago

Gilfach

"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2019/08/15/almost-all-british-train-lines-are-now-owned-by-other-eu-countries/"

You're mistaking 'owned' and 'operated'.

The infrastructure (track, stations, etc) is owned by Network Rail. The trains are owned by the RoSCos (big investment companies). The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails.

If the Labour government do what they have said they will, they'll let those operator contracts expire, and in 5 years time the same trains will be running over the same rails, but none of the EU companies will own any of it.

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

private train operators made £310 million in taxpayer-funded profits between March 2020 and September 2022

https://inews.co.uk/news/train-companies-make-310m-profit-after-being-put-on-new-contracts-during-pandemic-union-claims-2070558

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2019/08/15/almost-all-british-train-lines-are-now-owned-by-other-eu-countries/

The infrastructure (track, stations, etc) is owned by Network Rail. The trains are owned by the RoSCos (big investment companies). The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails.

If the Labour government do what they have said they will, they'll let those operator contracts expire, and in 5 years time the same trains will be running over the same rails, but none of the EU companies will own any of it."

The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails....yep that is what the article is about in the highly regarded world financial Forbes organisation.

By *ercuryMan
10 weeks ago

Grantham

"

If the Labour government do what they have said they will, they'll let those operator contracts expire, and in 5 years time the same trains will be running over the same rails, but none of the EU companies will own any of it.

The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails....yep that is what the article is about in the highly regarded world financial Forbes organisation."

Your article is nearly 5 years old!

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

"

The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails....yep that is what the article is about in the highly regarded world financial Forbes organisation.

Your article is nearly 5 years old!"

You can search Google from a more recent article, there are many, but not much has changed, it's got worse.

By *ercuryMan
10 weeks ago

Grantham

"

You can search Google from a more recent article, there are many, but not much has changed, it's got worse."

I gave you the information in my first reply.

You need to look up DFT and Operator Of Last Resort.

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

Europe mercilessly mocks UK government for allowing British rail to fund their rail systems

https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/europe-mercilessly-mocks-uk-government-27771225.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17097066075892&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Ftravel%2Fnews%2Feurope-mercilessly-mocks-uk-government-27771225

By *andu66 OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Devon

"Europe mercilessly mocks UK government for allowing British rail to fund their rail systems

https://www-mirror-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news/europe-mercilessly-mocks-uk-government-27771225.amp?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=17097066075892&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Ftravel%2Fnews%2Feurope-mercilessly-mocks-uk-government-27771225"

Don't forget to watch the video, its so funny.

By *ornucopiaMan
10 weeks ago

Bexley

At school in 1962 I wrote an exam essay stating that 'British Rail should be run on French lines'.

The invigilating master spotted this and never forgot it. He reminded me each time our paths crossed in subsequent decades.

He died fairly recently aged 102. I'm sure he would never have forgotten my dreadful pun until his dying day. However, he would have had far more important things to remember, being someone who was awarded the MBE for assisting escaped Russian forced labourers long before some of Britain's railways fell under European influence and at the time were in real danger of gaining German names..

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

"At school in 1962 I wrote an exam essay stating that 'British Rail should be run on French lines'.

The invigilating master spotted this and never forgot it. He reminded me each time our paths crossed in subsequent decades.

He died fairly recently aged 102. I'm sure he would never have forgotten my dreadful pun until his dying day. However, he would have had far more important things to remember, being someone who was awarded the MBE for assisting escaped Russian forced labourers long before some of Britain's railways fell under European influence and at the time were in real danger of gaining German names.."

You on the drink?

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

"At school in 1962 I wrote an exam essay stating that 'British Rail should be run on French lines'.

He died fairly recently aged 102. I'm sure he would never have forgotten my dreadful pun until his dying day. However, he would have had far more important things to remember, being someone who was awarded the MBE for assisting escaped Russian forced labourers long before some of Britain's railways fell under European influence and at the time were in real danger of gaining German names..

You on the drink? "

Dude, don’t do that.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
10 weeks ago

Gilfach

"You on the drink?"

"Dude, don’t do that."

Agreed. Being rude just because you failed to understand a post is not big, and it's not clever.

By *abioMan
9 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You can search Google from a more recent article, there are many, but not much has changed, it's got worse.

I gave you the information in my first reply.

You need to look up DFT and Operator Of Last Resort.

"

Mercury dear _ercury…

As the “train people” do you want to do the TLDR version of how the 2024 rail network actually works… or shall I?

Just because I don’t think the OP has a clue…. And they are digging a deeper and deeper hole!

You can have another shot…. And then I’ll give it a go…..

I think explaining the difference between the infrastructure owners (network rail) and the TOCs was a nice start

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
9 weeks ago

Hastings

"

The EU companies you are talking about just own the rights to run leased trains over leased rails....yep that is what the article is about in the highly regarded world financial Forbes organisation."

What no link ??

By *abioMan
9 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You can search Google from a more recent article, there are many, but not much has changed, it's got worse."

Oh… dear!!! I wish there the option to put something in bold and highlight.. because the last paragraph of the OP is the one that lets me know they know nothing of how the system now runs…

They are claiming not much has changed in the last 5 years and in fact it’s gotten worse…

Actually 1 huge thing happened in the last 5 years that has altered the way the trains system and contracts are done!

It’s called…… the pandemic!

So.. first thing first… _ercury is spot on that for at least the infrastructure side has always been dealt with by network rail!

Before pandemic, the way that train operating contracts were handled was that trains operating companies (TOCs) bid between each other for the right to run services

They were to pay the government a certain amount… and then within a minimum requirement the TOCs then run services and could set prices.. and they kept all the profits!

However in a lot of the contracts there were get out clauses, where either if a company could not keep up the minimum requirement (as with GNER) or they lost money (in effect overbidding because the profits made, and it was profitable was less they committed to paying the government…. Which was the case of national express east coast)

And then came the pandemic…. Because there were 95% less people travelling, but the TOCs still had to pay the government the full amount…. Every single operator with that type of contract was going to hand it back

So in effect the government changed all the contracts to save themselves embarrassment of having to actually saying the word “nationalisation”

The way that contracts are now done is that the government pay the TOCs a flat fee and the TOCs run all the services… with the TOCs getting a fixed percentage of any profits made by running services…

It’s basically nationalisation in all but name

What labour have said is they will let all the TOC contracts expire, and the DFT will run the services in-house

By *eavenNhellCouple
9 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"

Oh… dear!!! I wish there the option to put something in bold and highlight.. because the last paragraph of the OP is the one that lets me know they know nothing of how the system now runs…

They are claiming not much has changed in the last 5 years and in fact it’s gotten worse…

Actually 1 huge thing happened in the last 5 years that has altered the way the trains system and contracts are done!

It’s called…… the pandemic!

So.. first thing first… _ercury is spot on that for at least the infrastructure side has always been dealt with by network rail!

Before pandemic, the way that train operating contracts were handled was that trains operating companies (TOCs) bid between each other for the right to run services

They were to pay the government a certain amount… and then within a minimum requirement the TOCs then run services and could set prices.. and they kept all the profits!

However in a lot of the contracts there were get out clauses, where either if a company could not keep up the minimum requirement (as with GNER) or they lost money (in effect overbidding because the profits made, and it was profitable was less they committed to paying the government…. Which was the case of national express east coast)

And then came the pandemic…. Because there were 95% less people travelling, but the TOCs still had to pay the government the full amount…. Every single operator with that type of contract was going to hand it back

So in effect the government changed all the contracts to save themselves embarrassment of having to actually saying the word “nationalisation”

The way that contracts are now done is that the government pay the TOCs a flat fee and the TOCs run all the services… with the TOCs getting a fixed percentage of any profits made by running services…

It’s basically nationalisation in all but name

What labour have said is they will let all the TOC contracts expire, and the DFT will run the services in-house "

and there in lies the rub the DFT now known throughout the industry as Daft are micro managing each and every contract severely limiting the TOCs ability to train retain and recruit new train crew whilst losing staff to retirement. This is one of the leading causes of short notice cancelations if you aint got a driver the train aint moving ! Driver or guard smith goes sick at 10am his shift aint covered later that day as no spare .can ask others to work thier rest days but with the rates offered it aint worth it so TOC cancels

By *abioMan
8 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I was around in my former job life working at east coast when GNER had to be nationalised and we were put on standby when it looked like midland main line were going to b given back…

And I am now hearing whispers that another train operator may be giving back in the next few days

It may be best in the long run that services (especially the long distance routes) be brought under one company…

Post new Message to Thread