Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Can you do better

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Wondering if our fabbers can do better than this expert. On a subject she is supposed to know, and explain better than this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conservative-author-bethany-mandel-freezes-up-when-pressed-to-define-woke

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

The literal definition of 'woke' as far as we're aware is said to be to be aware of injustice or discrimination in society.

Another word often used which you will often see in reviews of modern American media where 'woke' propaganda is found is the word 'cringe'. WE think this a far better and broad definition and gives a better idea as to how people who disagree with socio-political activism on this scale feel.

That's what its really all about isn't it? A new form of socio-political thinking adopted by those with access to the levers of state control forcing it onto their populaces? It does serve a very good purpose of distraction and keeping people divided over non-issues.

By *ik MMan
over a year ago

Lancashire

I tend to prefer:

A movement that empowers and personifies all the main characteristics of Narcissistic Personality Disorder including the belief the ‘woke’ are morally and intellectually superior to everyone else.

A complete lack of interest and dismissal of anyone’s opinions or issues aside from their own. Projecting their own flaws / failings on to others. A victim hood / persecution complex with a refusal to take responsibility for any of their actions.

Often resorts to rage and insults when consulted on said flaws and failings due to an inability to be able to engage in a structured debate.

By *ustyMayfair85Woman
over a year ago

Mayfair/Travelling

"Woke" isn't anything new.

It's just a buzzword used by right wing sheep in an attempt to vilify people speaking out. I find it rather funny that the so called "free thinkers" all parrot "wokerati" now. So much for free thinking huh?

To the poster above, I notice a trend with anti-vaxxers and people who are so called "anti-woke". They all make this claim that anyone who is woke or not anti-vax are narcissistic and only hold these views to appear morally superior. This actually says more about yourself than "woke" people as you think people only hold views to benefit themselves rather than genuinely believing we should stand up to bigots.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"The literal definition of 'woke' as far as we're aware is said to be to be aware of injustice or discrimination in society.

"

The dictionary is now "liberal". Amazing.

99% of the time "woke" is used as an insult by racists/homophobes/xenophobes etc, who don't like being called out.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I tend to prefer:

A movement that empowers and personifies all the main characteristics of Narcissistic Personality Disorder including the belief the ‘woke’ are morally and intellectually superior to everyone else.

A complete lack of interest and dismissal of anyone’s opinions or issues aside from their own. Projecting their own flaws / failings on to others. A victim hood / persecution complex with a refusal to take responsibility for any of their actions.

Often resorts to rage and insults when consulted on said flaws and failings due to an inability to be able to engage in a structured debate. "

we should also add "lacks self awareness and uses trendy terms from SM without understanding the nuances. Often accuses others of behaviours they exhibit."

We are all woke now.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

WithOut Knowledge or Experience.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

The irony of not being able to describe something that could cancel a persons career for fear of retribution is not lost on me.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

'Ryan Newman, DeSantis’s general counsel, said [in court that] the term referred to “the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.” Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’s communications director, said that “woke” was “a slang term for … progressive activism,” adding that the term also referred to a belief that there were systemic injustices in the United States.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/12/05/desantis-florida-woke-critical-race-theory/

I don't "know" what it means because it seems to be a term used as an insult for whatever circumstances are useful.

That has already been demonstrated in this thread.

over a year ago

"I tend to prefer:

Often resorts to rage and insults when consulted on said flaws and failings due to an inability to be able to engage in a structured debate. "

Thats quite a lot of boxes to tick, not sure many people could.

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

And there was me thinking “woke” was basically being kind and considerate to people who are different to us and trying our best to not offend, and certainly not deliberately offend.

ie Woke is old fashioned good manners!

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Woke is a seemingly meaningless buzz work coined by the extreme right to denigrate anyone who does not believe in their policies. It is also a slur to be aimed at conventional right wingers who are prepared to see merit in non-right wing ideas. Social control by social media.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"And there was me thinking “woke” was basically being kind and considerate to people who are different to us and trying our best to not offend, and certainly not deliberately offend.

ie Woke is old fashioned good manners!"

I'm afraid a simple thing such as a word can be used as a tool to beat people around the head with.

Both left and right are equally responsible for the demise of woke in its natural form, as can be seen on this thread.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"And there was me thinking “woke” was basically being kind and considerate to people who are different to us and trying our best to not offend, and certainly not deliberately offend.

I'm afraid a simple thing such as a word can be used as a tool to beat people around the head with.

Both left and right are equally responsible for the demise of woke in its natural form, as can be seen on this thread.

"

whenever I hear the word woke, I feel it says more about the user than anything.

Of course it's used as a slap down. But if someone decision them selves as woke it rings like a person telling me they are charitable or kind hearted. Show me don't tell me.

I also find it odd how much fab cares about labels when we see labels often don't work. And often do more harm.

(Although, tbh, I'm not sure all fab agrees. *Starts a "am I bi if I only get BJ's from super feminine TS thread*)

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"

Yep. Personally if someone calls me “woke” I just say “thanks I do my best”

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"

The dictionary definition of "woke" was described as "liberal" above. That tells you everything.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

The dictionary definition of "woke" was described as "liberal" above. That tells you everything. "

I might be wrong... have you read literal as liberal?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

The dictionary definition of "woke" was described as "liberal" above. That tells you everything.

I might be wrong... have you read literal as liberal? "

Oh boy! I have.

Must remember not to browse fab without my glasses.

Carry on everyone. Nothing to see here.

over a year ago

"Wondering if our fabbers can do better than this expert. On a subject she is supposed to know, and explain better than this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conservative-author-bethany-mandel-freezes-up-when-pressed-to-define-woke"

Being called woke is a compliment, people who use it as an insult are either thick or don’t know the true meaning of the word

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 20/03/23 15:15:16]

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Wondering if our fabbers can do better than this expert. On a subject she is supposed to know, and explain better than this.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/conservative-author-bethany-mandel-freezes-up-when-pressed-to-define-woke

Being called woke is a compliment, people who use it as an insult are either thick or don’t know the true meaning of the word "

When I have had conversations with people who have called someone woke, it tends not to be so much about a topic, subject or event but more about how the person reacts or behaves to something. Over the top reactions, lost in in the battle to be progressive rather than discussing the issue in hand. That is what they are calling woke the behaviour traits.

It is simply a breakdown in communication that neither side will compromise or backdown from.

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Being called woke is a compliment, people who use it as an insult are either thick or don’t know the true meaning of the word

When I have had conversations with people who have called someone woke, it tends not to be so much about a topic, subject or event but more about how the person reacts or behaves to something. Over the top reactions, lost in in the battle to be progressive rather than discussing the issue in hand. That is what they are calling woke the behaviour traits.

It is simply a breakdown in communication that neither side will compromise or backdown from."

I've tried to explain this to multiple people on these forums but they're more interested in calling people thick, racist or whatever other words they can use to dismiss anyone who uses the word.

It's shutdown 101.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

It is simply a breakdown in communication that neither side will compromise or backdown from."

Whenever I've heard it used, as it's usually used on Fab, is by people who, if being kind, have old fashioned views, and who don't like being challenged.

It's the new "snowflake".

IE. It's not socially acceptable to be openly bigoted anymore, so these turn on people who are aware of social injustice, especially in the form of racism, in order to vent their confusion and anger at the world changing.

over a year ago

I would have thought that people like that are on both sides of the political division. But the word only seems to be used by one side to call out this type of behaviour. So can you really describe it as that.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

It is simply a breakdown in communication that neither side will compromise or backdown from.

Whenever I've heard it used, as it's usually used on Fab, is by people who, if being kind, have old fashioned views, and who don't like being challenged.

IE. It's not socially acceptable to be openly bigoted anymore, so these turn on people who are aware of social injustice, especially in the form of racism, in order to vent their confusion and anger at the world changing. "

I can see that but I can also see those who take what they believe is the moral high ground and are simply right without question, and will shut down any form of discussion. They ironically show the same bigotry they resent though their actions of being entrenched in their own beliefs.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I would have thought that people like that are on both sides of the political division. But the word only seems to be used by one side to call out this type of behaviour. So can you really describe it as that."

the way i see it, left leaning will call a right leaning person a bigot, and the right leaning person calls the left leaning person woke.

Stalemate

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

imo the woke view tends to be have a broad lens. They butt horns with those who take a more lock view. That means the issue in hand is often different for different ppl.

Eg: refugees. At the extremes some are looking at space in UK, culture or out taxes. The other end see a worldwide refugee crisis and are looking at how we play a part of that. And (one would hope) are more comfortable with feeling some pain for the greater good.

Similar, is labour about helping the working man (disadvantaged via class) or all those at a disadvantage.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I've tried to explain this to multiple people on these forums but they're more interested in calling people thick, racist or whatever other words they can use to dismiss anyone who uses the word.

It's shutdown 101."

Yes, some people are very binary and will simply not see another point of view.

over a year ago

For those banging on about "the true meaning of the word", get with the times grandparents! Words change their meanings all the time and some words have multiple meanings. "Bitching", "bomb", "dope", "killer", "sick", "wicked" etc all used to mean something bad. In the 21st century, they can also be used to refer to something good, so a complete 180. The word "set" currently has 430 meanings, and the word "run" is anticipated to have approximately 645 different meanings in the next Oxford English Dictionary, set for a 2037 release. The word "woke" clearly has more than one meaning, but some people will always take it to mean whatever they think is the most offensive and get outraged by it, because outrage is their default setting. It's just a word - nothing to be frightened of

Bess x

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"For those banging on about "the true meaning of the word", get with the times grandparents! Words change their meanings all the time and some words have multiple meanings. "Bitching", "bomb", "dope", "killer", "sick", "wicked" etc all used to mean something bad. In the 21st century, they can also be used to refer to something good, so a complete 180. The word "set" currently has 430 meanings, and the word "run" is anticipated to have approximately 645 different meanings in the next Oxford English Dictionary, set for a 2037 release. The word "woke" clearly has more than one meaning, but some people will always take it to mean whatever they think is the most offensive and get outraged by it, because outrage is their default setting. It's just a word - nothing to be frightened of

Bess x"

tbf we are talking about a word that was only really defined a few years ago. (Much the way once was termed by a lesbian irrc)

However the issue is more than those who have tried to turn it haven't really worked out what they want it to mean. Other than "thing I don't like". Hence this thread.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

IE. It's not socially acceptable to be openly bigoted anymore, so these turn on people who are aware of social injustice, especially in the form of racism, in order to vent their confusion and anger at the world changing.

I can see that but I can also see those who take what they believe is the moral high ground and are simply right without question, and will shut down any form of discussion. They ironically show the same bigotry they resent though their actions of being entrenched in their own beliefs.

"

Fair enough.

I don't think there is an equivalent level of bigotry to express intolerance to those who are prejudice over nationality/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation etc etc. And those who are intolerant of different nationalities/ethnicities/religiions/sexual orientations etc.

Hence in my opinion, one side definitely has the moral higher ground.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Fair enough.

I don't think there is an equivalent level of bigotry to express intolerance to those who are prejudice over nationality/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation etc etc. And those who are intolerant of different nationalities/ethnicities/religiions/sexual orientations etc.

Hence in my opinion, one side definitely has the moral higher ground. "

The things you mention such as race or religion are at times pulled into discussion to close the other person down. An example of this far too often seen in this part of the forum is small boat crossings. If someone challenges the legality, numbers or costs it won't be long before someone will try to infer that the person is racist or far right, when there has been no mention of race at all.

That inference and twist of the discussion to a less than healthy place can be met with woke, which is met by bigot.

The point I'm trying to make here and through my other posts, it is usually a tit of tat type exchange, a lot of the time when a person really has nothing left in the tank, and reverts to closing the other down.

Of course you are right in terms of moral high ground, if a person is being racist as an example there is no place for that or the person.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Fair enough.

Hence in my opinion, one side definitely has the moral higher ground.

The things you mention such as race or religion are at times pulled into discussion to close the other person down. An example of this far too often seen in this part of the forum is small boat crossings. If someone challenges the legality, numbers or costs it won't be long before someone will try to infer that the person is racist or far right, when there has been no mention of race at all.

"

Sure, they don't mention race, but once the cost and legality elements are debunked (and put into persective), all that remains is either the aforementioned prejudice or simply ignorance of swallowing the propaganda.

"

That inference and twist of the discussion to a less than healthy place can be met with woke, which is met by bigot.

The point I'm trying to make here and through my other posts, it is usually a tit of tat type exchange, a lot of the time when a person really has nothing left in the tank, and reverts to closing the other down.

Of course you are right in terms of moral high ground, if a person is being racist as an example there is no place for that or the person."

I do agree with your point though. It would be better if someone (me included) would articulate their point without labelling.

over a year ago

"For those banging on about "the true meaning of the word", get with the times grandparents! Words change their meanings all the time and some words have multiple meanings. "Bitching", "bomb", "dope", "killer", "sick", "wicked" etc all used to mean something bad. In the 21st century, they can also be used to refer to something good, so a complete 180. The word "set" currently has 430 meanings, and the word "run" is anticipated to have approximately 645 different meanings in the next Oxford English Dictionary, set for a 2037 release. The word "woke" clearly has more than one meaning, but some people will always take it to mean whatever they think is the most offensive and get outraged by it, because outrage is their default setting. It's just a word - nothing to be frightened of

Bess x"

What do you think ‘woke’ means ? I don’t get outraged or offended if I get called woke, I take it as a compliment

over a year ago

I would have thought that people like that are on both sides of the political division. But the word only seems to be used by one side to call out this type of behaviour. So can you really describe it as that.

the way i see it, left leaning will call a right leaning person a bigot, and the right leaning person calls the left leaning person woke.

Stalemate "

Are you saying woke means bigot. Or can it mean anything the person saying it means.

The problem is the expert in the video was so dumbstruck when asked what woke meant. Seems she's been throwing the word around in her line of work without thinking what she was trying to say.

Its the same on this thread, people don't seem to have any clear meaning or understanding of the word. But think its a throwaway word to use mingled in with others like tofu-eating.

By *bernathCouple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Getting A Right wing person to define the term Woke, is like a dog trying to meow like a cat. It just cannot be done.

Instead let the people who consider themselves woke describe themselves.

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Is Florida's "Stop Woke Act”, woke?

From Senator Powell of the Florida State Senate:

'Signed into law in 2022 essentially prohibits instruction on race relations or diversity that imply a person’s status as either privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by his or her race, color, national origin, or sex. The bill also bans both schools and workplaces from “subjecting any student or employee to training or instruction that espouses, promotes, advances, inculcates, or compels such individuals to believe specified concepts constitutes discrimination based on race, color, sex, or national origin.”'

Apparently, Rosa Parks race being the reason for being told to move seat on the bus cannot be mentioned.

“Rosa Parks showed courage. One day, she rode the bus. She was told to move to a different seat because of the color of her skin. She did not. She did what she believed was right.”

“Rosa Parks showed courage. One day, she rode the bus. She was told to move to a different seat. She did not. She did what she believed was right.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/20/florida-school-textbook-curriculum-review-satire/

"teachers in the state told the BBC that the changes have had a chilling effect, with many fearing they may break the law if they discuss the realities of US history.

WARNING: Contains graphic descriptions of racist abuse"

"they said, it was difficult to teach classes on sl@very and the civil rights movement without confronting the deeply rooted racism at the heart of the American experiment."

Perhaps that's the point?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64815035.amp

Post new Message to Thread