Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Reaper down

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Russia intentionally took out a reaper in the black sea.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

Wtf is a reaper?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Wtf is a reaper? "

Sounds grim.

(Grim reaper. Get it?)

over a year ago

It's a drone, though.

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Why were the US flying a drone close to Russian airspace?

over a year ago

"Why were the US flying a drone close to Russian airspace?"
it was in international waters.

over a year ago

Watching flight radar. There always a global hawk up. Now there is a posidon up. First time I seen that.

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Why were the US flying a drone close to Russian airspace? it was in international waters."

I know that, that's why I said 'close to Russian airspace'. Obviously what has happened here will be investigated but I do wonder why the US are there in the first place

over a year ago

"Why were the US flying a drone close to Russian airspace? it was in international waters.

I know that, that's why I said 'close to Russian airspace'. Obviously what has happened here will be investigated but I do wonder why the US are there in the first place "

Vacation, perhaps?

over a year ago

"Why were the US flying a drone close to Russian airspace? it was in international waters.

I know that, that's why I said 'close to Russian airspace'. Obviously what has happened here will be investigated but I do wonder why the US are there in the first place "

not just the US I seen RAF rivet joints there too.

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

I know that, that's why I said 'close to Russian airspace'. Obviously what has happened here will be investigated but I do wonder why the US are there in the first place not just the US I seen RAF rivet joints there too."

But why? I'm not asking the question to be against the US

over a year ago

I know that, that's why I said 'close to Russian airspace'. Obviously what has happened here will be investigated but I do wonder why the US are there in the first place not just the US I seen RAF rivet joints there too.

But why? I'm not asking the question to be against the US"

Intel gathering aircraft.

over a year ago

The strange aircraft up now is the posidon they are used to hunt submarines. It's been flying a weird pattern off the coast of Moldova.

over a year ago

If you are interested you can download flight 24.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"The strange aircraft up now is the posidon they are used to hunt submarines. It's been flying a weird pattern off the coast of Moldova."

For the layperson, what does this imply?

I don't know what any of this means.

over a year ago

"The strange aircraft up now is the posidon they are used to hunt submarines. It's been flying a weird pattern off the coast of Moldova.

I don't know what any of this means."

It does not get used unless there is a greater threat. Russia has been using sub launched kalibur cruise missiles. So to see one actually hunting for those subs. Its strange. The aircraft is not for intelligence gathering. Like the rivet joints. It serves one purpose targeting submarines.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"If you are interested you can download flight 24. "

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level?

over a year ago

"If you are interested you can download flight 24.

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level? "

if they are squawking. Usually the surveillance ones do. Forte is the global hawk squawks.its interesting.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level? if they are squawking. Usually the surveillance ones do. Forte is the global hawk squawks.its interesting."

What does this mean "Forte is the global hawk squawks"

I'm surprised an off the shelf app can track military aircraft.

Every day is a school day

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level? if they are squawking. Usually the surveillance ones do. Forte is the global hawk squawks.its interesting.

Every day is a school day "

The only military aircraft that it shows are the ones the military want you (and them) to be able to see. It won't show anything that's not meant to be seen

over a year ago

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level? if they are squawking. Usually the surveillance ones do. Forte is the global hawk squawks.its interesting.

The only military aircraft that it shows are the ones the military want you (and them) to be able to see. It won't show anything that's not meant to be seen "

Yes but flashing your iff is funny or flying flights patterns the draw out a dick . Near borders.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

And they can also make it appear that planes are flying where they aren't.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Can this app actually track military aircraft down to drone level? "

Only if their transponders are switched on.

I can see some military aircraft over Lincolnshire but most remain invisible. I have seen drones on the system but very rare.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"The strange aircraft up now is the posidon they are used to hunt submarines. It's been flying a weird pattern off the coast of Moldova.

I don't know what any of this means. It does not get used unless there is a greater threat. Russia has been using sub launched kalibur cruise missiles. So to see one actually hunting for those subs. Its strange. The aircraft is not for intelligence gathering. Like the rivet joints. It serves one purpose targeting submarines."

I see. Thank you.

over a year ago

Every day is a school day "

Global Hawk drones use the callsign "Forte". All flying aircraft or drone over a certain size need a callsign and IFF transponder to comply with civil aviation regulations for safety and monitoring purposes. Though in the case of military flying stuff, being visible to all and sundry on flight tracking radar with clear callsigns is as much about sending a message as it is with complying with civilian aviation laws.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 15/03/23 09:47:45]

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Global Hawk drones use the callsign "Forte". All flying aircraft or drone over a certain size need a callsign and IFF transponder to comply with civil aviation regulations for safety and monitoring purposes. Though in the case of military flying stuff, being visible to all and sundry on flight tracking radar with clear callsigns is as much about sending a message as it is with complying with civilian aviation laws. "

Thanks for that explanation, I guess if they are going to flaunt it they stand a chance of losing it.

The news story has a bit of a different slant now.

over a year ago

Global Hawk drones use the callsign "Forte". All flying aircraft or drone over a certain size need a callsign and IFF transponder to comply with civil aviation regulations for safety and monitoring purposes. Though in the case of military flying stuff, being visible to all and sundry on flight tracking radar with clear callsigns is as much about sending a message as it is with complying with civilian aviation laws.

Thanks for that explanation, I guess if they are going to flaunt it they stand a chance of losing it.

The news story has a bit of a different slant now."

On the contrary. If you're flying in international airspace and you go dark you're far more likely to elicit a hostile response. Nothing wrong with open intelligence gathering, keeps people honest.

The way it has been reported in the news so far, seems like the Russkies went out of the way to actually take it down short of firing a missile at it. Dumping fuel in front of a drone? Ramming its rear mounted propeller off? That's like a Bugatti Veyron picking a fight with a tricycle on the road.

Funny thing is they did it to a Reaper. That thing is already considered obsolete within the USAF drone fleet and relegated to secondary/low threat duties. They've little to gain and a lot to lose from this incident, the Russians.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

On the contrary. If you're flying in international airspace and you go dark you're far more likely to elicit a hostile response. Nothing wrong with open intelligence gathering, keeps people honest.

The way it has been reported in the news so far, seems like the Russkies went out of the way to actually take it down short of firing a missile at it. Dumping fuel in front of a drone? Ramming its rear mounted propeller off? That's like a Bugatti Veyron picking a fight with a tricycle on the road.

Funny thing is they did it to a Reaper. That thing is already considered obsolete within the USAF drone fleet and relegated to secondary/low threat duties. They've little to gain and a lot to lose from this incident, the Russians. "

You seem to know your stuff, is your background military?

over a year ago

Funny thing is they did it to a Reaper. That thing is already considered obsolete within the USAF drone fleet and relegated to secondary/low threat duties. They've little to gain and a lot to lose from this incident, the Russians.

You seem to know your stuff, is your background military? "

Semi. Nowadays it is more on the academic/strategic analysis side than actually serving in uniform.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

You seem to know your stuff, is your background military?

Semi. Nowadays it is more on the academic/strategic analysis side than actually serving in uniform. "

over a year ago

Funny thing is they did it to a Reaper. That thing is already considered obsolete within the USAF drone fleet and relegated to secondary/low threat duties. They've little to gain and a lot to lose from this incident, the Russians. "

Back in December the USAF suggested giving Ukraine reapers.It might have been a training flight. Plausible deniability.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Are the Russian's or their Chinese friends after the tech?

Did think that initially but then it is old ish kit so not sure apart from the obvious trying to interfere with gathering intel / distorting the picture etc ..

Also why no kill switch or does it have?

over a year ago

Funny thing is they did it to a Reaper. That thing is already considered obsolete within the USAF drone fleet and relegated to secondary/low threat duties. They've little to gain and a lot to lose from this incident, the Russians. Back in December the USAF suggested giving Ukraine reapers.It might have been a training flight. Plausible deniability."

Potentially. Though it's not like Ukraine doesn't already have far cheaper drones that are just as effective in taking out ground units.

over a year ago

"Are the Russian's or their Chinese friends after the tech?

Did think that initially but then it is old ish kit so not sure apart from the obvious trying to interfere with gathering intel / distorting the picture etc ..

Also why no kill switch or does it have?"

Kill switch is moot when the propeller got knocked out to send the drone crashing into the Black Sea. It's not like the Russians were out to capture it whole.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Are the Russian's or their Chinese friends after the tech?

Also why no kill switch or does it have?

Kill switch is moot when the propeller got knocked out to send the drone crashing into the Black Sea. It's not like the Russians were out to capture it whole. "

Cheers

over a year ago

There is a video of the Russians doing. Fly-by. They were extremely close.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I think Russia are playing a very dangerous game trying to goad the USA and NATO into an over the top retaliation.

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Pretty sure reapers have fallen into others hands, so I suspect the Russians will not be interested in recovering it.

They most probably had something going on in the vicinity and didn't want it above them, otherwise I doubt they would have wasted the time or effort.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I know when the military are talking about drones, it isn't referring to an off the shelf model that I have seen that are in boxes about the size of an airline carry on case.

I was shocked to see the size of the reaper! It is 35ft long and has a 60ft wingspan!

How long is it going to be before drones become the future of air travel for the masses?

over a year ago

If the Americans aren't going to recover it then they consider the tech onboard not worth the hassle so may be an older model perhaps. Unless of course they have a sub or two in the region and are actively searching for it. Who know?

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I know when the military are talking about drones, it isn't referring to an off the shelf model that I have seen that are in boxes about the size of an airline carry on case.

I was shocked to see the size of the reaper! It is 35ft long and has a 60ft wingspan!

How long is it going to be before drones become the future of air travel for the masses?

"

They have been around for many years now in various different sizes.

Pretty sure they have stealth models as well.

over a year ago

Alot of military planes up today over the black sea.

over a year ago

Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it?

over a year ago

"Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it?"
plausible deniability. They can say the pilot had flight issues. Launching a missile or guns would be a blatant attack.

over a year ago

"Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it?"
There is a global hawk currently enticing the Russians in the black sea. Earlier there was 2 rivet joints and a Orion up along with a stratotanker.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it? There is a global hawk currently enticing the Russians in the black sea. Earlier there was 2 rivet joints and a Orion up along with a stratotanker."

Say what??

over a year ago

"Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it? There is a global hawk currently enticing the Russians in the black sea. Earlier there was 2 rivet joints and a Orion up along with a stratotanker.

Say what??

"

a lot of surveillance aircraft and a refueling plane. The stratotanker is generally used for fighter planes.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Seeing the footage, how come the Russians didn't fire missiles or bullets? Is that politically technically worse than dumping petrol on it and ramming it? There is a global hawk currently enticing the Russians in the black sea. Earlier there was 2 rivet joints and a Orion up along with a stratotanker.

Say what??

a lot of surveillance aircraft and a refueling plane. The stratotanker is generally used for fighter planes."

I feel you would be a good person to have around in an end world zombie apocalypse situation.

over a year ago

Say what??

a lot of surveillance aircraft and a refueling plane. The stratotanker is generally used for fighter planes.

I feel you would be a good person to have around in an end world zombie apocalypse situation. "

I just take care of my own. Friends and family. There alot of people I would trip if we were chased by zombies.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

"If you are interested you can download flight 24. "

There are a few apps for ships as well, you can filter out any type of boat or ship. Similar thing though, the ships can switch off the transponder to stop people knowing where they are.

over a year ago

I always find it interesting when you look at the media to find out who aggressors are on the world stage.

Look at what you're being told and not being told.

Stories about a drone being downed over international waters - they don't say a few miles from Russia. Can you imagine the headlines if a Russian drone was in international waters just off the coast of the USA.

Stories of China violating Taiwanese airspace. They don't mention the US warships doing manoevers within spitting distance of China. Imagine if it were the other way around.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Russian and Chinese states are not brutal and aggressive, but the naked aggression of some states are barely mentioned.

over a year ago

"I always find it interesting when you look at the media to find out who aggressors are on the world stage.

Stories about a drone being downed over international waters - they don't say a few miles from Russia. Can you imagine the headlines if a Russian drone was in international waters just off the coast of the USA.

Stories of China violating Taiwanese airspace. They don't mention the US warships doing manoevers within spitting distance of China. Imagine if it were the other way around.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Russian and Chinese states are not brutal and aggressive, but the naked aggression of some states are barely mentioned."

You do know there are intercepts constantly in Alaska

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I always find it interesting when you look at the media to find out who aggressors are on the world stage.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Russian and Chinese states are not brutal and aggressive, but the naked aggression of some states are barely mentioned. You do know there are intercepts constantly in Alaska "

I look forward to his answer...

over a year ago

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Russian and Chinese states are not brutal and aggressive, but the naked aggression of some states are barely mentioned. You do know there are intercepts constantly in Alaska

I look forward to his answer... "

lol Norad revealed that it had intercepted a group of Russian aircraft comprised of Tu-95 long-range bombers and Su-35 fighter aircraft as they approached Alaskan airspace.Feb 15, 2023 TU are nuke long range ......

Post new Message to Thread