Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

500 million for the French Police Force

Jump to newest

By *uietbloke67 OP   Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

500 million to go to the French Police Force.

Didn't see that on the side of a bus!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

It was included in our EU membership fees under the Dublin agreement that we could send rejected asylum seekers back across the channel.

£500m and we can’t even do that .

It’s all going so well this taking back control .

Maybe we can pay Norway to make sure no camels sneak in from Egypt. It would have the same cost benefit result.

Moronic government .

So £2b to house the waiting list. ( full fact)

£120m + to Rwanda

£500m to France

It’s looking a lot like PPE spending all over again.

Please can we have an election? It’s inconceivable that any other party could be this bad.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Just absurd to be paying France to police it's own borders. But on the other hand, whenever the government tries to stop illegal immigration they gat lambasted.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Just absurd to be paying France to police it's own borders. But on the other hand, whenever the government tries to stop illegal immigration they gat lambasted."

Perhaps they get lambasted for food reason? After all they themselves have caused this very problem by closing down safe and legal routes for people to apply for asylum.

If 80% or so (I don’t know exact figure - but thereabouts as I understand) of boat arrivals are granted asylum, it would appear that reinstalling the safe and legal routes might just stop the crossings because 80% wouldn’t need to and the other 20% would know that it would be a futile trip.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

"Just absurd to be paying France to police it's own borders. But on the other hand, whenever the government tries to stop illegal immigration they gat lambasted.

Perhaps they get lambasted for food reason? After all they themselves have caused this very problem by closing down safe and legal routes for people to apply for asylum.

If 80% or so (I don’t know exact figure - but thereabouts as I understand) of boat arrivals are granted asylum, it would appear that reinstalling the safe and legal routes might just stop the crossings because 80% wouldn’t need to and the other 20% would know that it would be a futile trip."

Perhaps they closed down legal asylum routes because those were being consistently abused by bogus claimants? As a sovereign nation we are entitled to have border rules and entitled to enforce them - like everybody else.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Just absurd to be paying France to police it's own borders. But on the other hand, whenever the government tries to stop illegal immigration they gat lambasted.

If 80% or so (I don’t know exact figure - but thereabouts as I understand) of boat arrivals are granted asylum, it would appear that reinstalling the safe and legal routes might just stop the crossings because 80% wouldn’t need to and the other 20% would know that it would be a futile trip.

Perhaps they closed down legal asylum routes because those were being consistently abused by bogus claimants? As a sovereign nation we are entitled to have border rules and entitled to enforce them - like everybody else."

Most rejections at the time of the safe route closures arrived by plane from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan so the boats were not irrelevant. The policy was in no way linked.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

The UK has double the asylum acceptance rates, as against the EU.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"After all they themselves have caused this very problem by closing down safe and legal routes for people to apply for asylum."

What were these safe and legal routes that got closed down?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

No this will be a smoke screen when nothing changes they can blame the French, good political tactics.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"No this will be a smoke screen when nothing changes they can blame the French, good political tactics."

It works over and over again.

If the Tories didn't do anything about this "problem" over the past 12 years, I better vote for them again as they are the only party who will do something.

You have to hand it to their PR team, and the British press.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

Seems to me like one minute everyone is screaming something has to be done to stop the illegal immigrants coming.

And when they try to do it everyone starts screaming it’s wrong

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Seems to me like one minute everyone is screaming something has to be done to stop the illegal immigrants coming.

And when they try to do it everyone starts screaming it’s wrong "

There was a system albeit not perfect before 2010 which dealt with more applications but this government scrapped the safe and legal route which has directly led to the massive increases we're seeing in small boats..

Plus they cut border force and the civil servants who dealt with the applications to the point where we are now processing about 10 % compared to France and Germany..

Yes it's an issue but it's entirely of this governments making which is why they seek to deflect..

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Seems to me like one minute everyone is screaming something has to be done to stop the illegal immigrants coming.

And when they try to do it everyone starts screaming it’s wrong "

That’s the lie that is being peddled . “everyone is screaming that they need stopping”. They are not.

People want our government to organise safe formal routes to come to the U.K

There would be no need to pay £500m or the billions in housing refugees if they were processed safely and quickly.

The smugglers business model would disappear as they’d have less customers.

Only hardcore traffickers would continue then. With safe routes border force would have freed up capacity and could concentrate on shutting the hardcore routes down with much cheaper help from the French.

We could have an immigration office in France with five hundred staff and let’s be silly and say all being paid £100k a year each and the total cost would be £50m.

Puts the £500m into perspective doesn’t it,

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

That’s the lie that is being peddled . “everyone is screaming that they need stopping”. They are not.

There would be no need to pay £500m or the billions in housing refugees if they were processed safely and quickly.

Only hardcore traffickers would continue then. With safe routes border force would have freed up capacity and could concentrate on shutting the hardcore routes down with much cheaper help from the French.

We could have an immigration office in France with five hundred staff and let’s be silly and say all being paid £100k a year each and the total cost would be £50m.

"

That said quite a lot of boarder force are about to go on strike

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

So many people here parrot the state narrative yet also criticise the state in the same breath.

By *uietbloke67 OP   Man
over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Perhaps they closed down legal asylum routes because those were being consistently abused by bogus claimants? As a sovereign nation we are entitled to have border rules and entitled to enforce them - like everybody else."

Apart from a nice sentence, what is a sovereign nation.

For the record the UK is not a single country it is an amalgamation of separate countries that seek in our case, live in harmony and the greater good of all.

A bit like the Common Market.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

The high percentage of approved asylum cases is not a true reflection of the cases being 100% legitimate.

It is a reflection on border control and the home office not being able to deal with such large numbers, and the main point not being able to prove 100% they're not asylum seekers.

The system is known and exploited.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"The high percentage of approved asylum cases is not a true reflection of the cases being 100% legitimate.

It is a reflection on border control and the home office not being able to deal with such large numbers, and the main point not being able to prove 100% they're not asylum seekers.

The system is known and exploited."

I suspect the number will come down as we start to process the newer cases...

But do you have any evidence to support this claim ?

If it's down to lack of resource, then that feels like an easy win.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"The high percentage of approved asylum cases is not a true reflection of the cases being 100% legitimate.

The system is known and exploited.I suspect the number will come down as we start to process the newer cases...

If it's down to lack of resource, then that feels like an easy win. "

The governments inability to manage the numbers of people, is clear when you have processing centres full, as well as hotels up and down the country.

There is no way to check an applicant is legitimate if they have no papers... It is embarrassing for this government, the smugglers know they can't manage, we know they can't manage. The % figures are a reflection of that inability to cope.

To be clear I'm not saying how far out they are, I wouldn't know, but they are not correct.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"

I understand your point but just wondering how you find out a couple of the things you quote.

First is about everyone is screaming that they need stopping- you say that they are not screaming for them to be stopped. Obviously technically it's not everyone but how many want it stopped and is that number increasing or decreasing? I suspect increasing but not sure hence why I'm asking how we know this.

Then you say people want our government to organise safe legal routes. Again how do we know this is the case. I know some do (these threads show that) but is it the popular view in the country. Is it a view that's increasing.

Again I am not disputing these quotes, just curious as to the origin

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The system is known and exploited.I suspect the number will come down as we start to process the newer cases...

If it's down to lack of resource, then that feels like an easy win.

The governments inability to manage the numbers of people, is clear when you have processing centres full, as well as hotels up and down the country.

There is no way to check an applicant is legitimate if they have no papers... It is embarrassing for this government, the smugglers know they can't manage, we know they can't manage. The % figures are a reflection of that inability to cope.

To be clear I'm not saying how far out they are, I wouldn't know, but they are not correct. "

I agree it's a terrible look.

For me this issue is that, because we don't know (as you say) then we can't say that the numbers are high because of it. We are all guessing. It could be one person slips through the net. It could be they all do.

If acceptance % have skyrocketed since the numbers started going up, that would provides some weak evidence.

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They should send in the army to end this madness ..

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"They should send in the army to end this madness .. "

What would you want the army to do?

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"They should send in the army to end this madness ..

What would you want the army to do?"

They would sort this in a flash....

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"They should send in the army to end this madness ..

What would you want the army to do?

They would sort this in a flash...."

How? What would you expect them to do?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Which army?

By *wosmilersCouple
over a year ago

Heathrowish

And how would they be able to perform miracles with the same rules of engagement that are applied now?

If you are asking for a change of the rules of engagement, then why would the army fare any better than those currently tasked with enforcement?

A common trope is that the officers dealing at the front line with this are underperforming. They are not underperforming given the rules of engagement that they have to work within.

The problems with the system are more deeply rooted in policy the authorities are required to work within than the personnel who are required to carry out the prevailing policy.

Post new Message to Thread