Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Whose crime was worse? Bridgen or Zahawi

Jump to newest

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

Well-known plant pot MP Andrew Bridgen has had the whip removed because he gobbed off about covid conspiracy theories. Pretty dumb for him to do that, accepted - but because of it he is now no longer a Conservative MP.

Zahawi tried to defraud the country, but he has only lost his job as Chairman and Cabinet member. He is still a Conservative MP.

So what is a worse crime? Being a bit of a nobhead? Or being a liar and a tax evader?

(With thanks to Andrew Bridgen himself who posted this paradox on Twitter - still a nobhead though lol)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *exy_HornyCouple
over a year ago

Leigh

Both crimes are similar in terms of seriousness.

Neither should now be an MP.

By *heshbifellaMan
over a year ago

Crewe

This has been done to death elsewhere. Even rabid lefties have eventually accepted neither is a crime, they're both civil matters

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Both crimes are similar in terms of seriousness.

Neither should now be an MP."

I agree,

By *oo hot OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

"This has been done to death elsewhere. Even rabid lefties have eventually accepted neither is a crime, they're both civil matters

"

The point being is that Zahawi is still a Conservative MP whereas Bridgen has been kicked out of the Conservative Party.

Zahawi’s “crime” appears on the face of it to be more serious than just being a nobhead.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Both crimes are similar in terms of seriousness.

Neither should now be an MP.

I agree, "

Thirded

I suspect that Zahawi is still an MP because the government consider it enough to have the headline "Zahawi sacked", referring to him no longer being a member of the cabinet. They'll get away without doing anything else.

over a year ago

This all raises a bigger point. Feels like there should be an easier mechanism for removing MPs. As far as I know Pincher is still an MP. (Even after the Tories finally suspended him.)

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"This all raises a bigger point. Feels like there should be an easier mechanism for removing MPs. As far as I know Pincher is still an MP. (Even after the Tories finally suspended him.)"

I suggest you read the recall of MPs act 2015

over a year ago

"This all raises a bigger point. Feels like there should be an easier mechanism for removing MPs. As far as I know Pincher is still an MP. (Even after the Tories finally suspended him.)

I suggest you read the recall of MPs act 2015"

Oh I know MPs can technically be recalled. But Pincher is still an MP. Still. Why?

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"This all raises a bigger point. Feels like there should be an easier mechanism for removing MPs. As far as I know Pincher is still an MP. (Even after the Tories finally suspended him.)

Oh I know MPs can technically be recalled. But Pincher is still an MP. Still. Why?"

I don't know the answer to that but it's down to his constituents.

over a year ago

Oh I know MPs can technically be recalled. But Pincher is still an MP. Still. Why?

I don't know the answer to that but it's down to his constituents."

I'm sure they're v happy to be represented by Pincher. Who wouldn't be, eh?

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

I'm sure they're v happy to be represented by Pincher. Who wouldn't be, eh?"

You can be sarcastic all you like but that's the reality of it

over a year ago

You can be sarcastic all you like but that's the reality of it "

Sarcastic? Me? Never

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

You can be sarcastic all you like but that's the reality of it

Sarcastic? Me? Never"

Post new Message to Thread