Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

It’s all so quiet...

Jump to newest

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

A number of regular posters have stopped posting and some have left the site.

Makes you realise the high number of controversial click-bait threads they started between them.

It’s actually a bit dull!

Come on folks there must be some topics we can get some good banter going on again?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"A number of regular posters have stopped posting and some have left the site.

Makes you realise the high number of controversial click-bait threads they started between them.

Come on folks there must be some topics we can get some good banter going on again?"

We need more people suggesting Brexit was a good idea. Those are always my favourite.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Perhaps they just love the football?

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Or they are busy putting in FOI requests and downloading 000s of pages of documents to read and prove their intellectual superiority!

For others the political hokey y maybe just got too much. Throwing your unwavering support in the ring that many times must have felt like being on the waltzer at the fairground!

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Or they are busy putting in FOI requests and downloading 000s of pages of documents to read and prove their intellectual superiority!

For others the political hokey y maybe just got too much. Throwing your unwavering support in the ring that many times must have felt like being on the waltzer at the fairground!"

C o k e y is a word banned in these forums! Odd!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Or they are busy putting in FOI requests and downloading 000s of pages of documents to read and prove their intellectual superiority!

For others the political hokey y maybe just got too much. Throwing your unwavering support in the ring that many times must have felt like being on the waltzer at the fairground!

C o k e y is a word banned in these forums! Odd!"

Probably for the drug reference contained within the first half of the word.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Perhaps they just love the football?"

Isn't there time in the day to watch football, AND blame everything on foreigners?

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

You may have a point there

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Perhaps they just love the football?

Isn't there time in the day to watch football, AND blame everything on foreigners?"

Obviously the 6-2 victory over Iran did nothing to demonstrate the value that people of African or West Indian descent have brought to England!

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Isn't there time in the day to watch football, AND blame everything on foreigners?

Obviously the 6-2 victory over Iran did nothing to demonstrate the value that people of African or West Indian descent have brought to England!"

I couldn’t agree more….it’s just a shame that the Iranian team won’t be able to do their silent protest as publicly again

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Obviously the 6-2 victory over Iran did nothing to demonstrate the value that people of African or West Indian descent have brought to England!

I couldn’t agree more….it’s just a shame that the Iranian team won’t be able to do their silent protest as publicly again"

Very brave bunch of lads. They and their families are now all in danger.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

I couldn’t agree more….it’s just a shame that the Iranian team won’t be able to do their silent protest as publicly again

Very brave bunch of lads. They and their families are now all in danger."

So true….even though many of them play abroad in places like Greece, their families are still at risk of state recriminations

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

For others the political hokey y maybe just got too much. Throwing your unwavering support in the ring that many times must have felt like being on the waltzer at the fairground!"

Yup such horrible peopleBeing informed and understanding subject matter they are discussing. Seeking facts and true numerical representation. What absolute dolts.

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Imagine mocking some 1 for " looking up the data and the documents"

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 23/11/22 13:34:14]

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Imagine mocking some 1 for " looking up the data and the documents"

"

Where did I say it was a bad thing. Just said people like that are too busy! Anyway who do you think I was talking about? They must be a snowflake if they are offended by that?

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Where did I say it was a bad thing. Just said people like that are too busy! Anyway who do you think I was talking about? They must be a snowflake if they are offended by that? "

The problem is the sarcastic nature in which you typed it and the bit about intellectual superiority.

I am sorry that you feel the need to act like a child in this way.

It's not intellectual superiority to simply read and check things before quoting them, it's common sense and decency for open discussion to verify numbers and facts so as you don't misrepresent things.

"Or they are busy putting in FOI requests and downloading 000s of pages of documents to read and prove their intellectual superiority!"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Come on folks there must be some topics we can get some good banter going on again?"

Some have left

Others have be banned

Others might return with a new profile , but they all have one thing in common, they have been exposed for what they are

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Where did I say it was a bad thing. Just said people like that are too busy! Anyway who do you think I was talking about? They must be a snowflake if they are offended by that?

The problem is the sarcastic nature in which you typed it and the bit about intellectual superiority.

I am sorry that you feel the need to act like a child in this way.

It's not intellectual superiority to simply read and check things before quoting them, it's common sense and decency for open discussion to verify numbers and facts so as you don't misrepresent things.

"Or they are busy putting in FOI requests and downloading 000s of pages of documents to read and prove their intellectual superiority!"

"

Lighten up Morely! There was no sarcasm in what I wrote, just in the way you read it! Perhaps you are projecting? Surely someone who has researched all the facts and figures is going to be intellectually superior on that topic no? Bit too sensitive there me old mucka!

By *hropshireGentMan
over a year ago

shropshire

I have noticed this myself. It’s very strange…..

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Yup such horrible peopleBeing informed and understanding subject matter they are discussing. Seeking facts and true numerical representation. What absolute dolts."

I wish I had more time to look into things and hopefully understand them. Reading a headline does not always give the full picture or context. Also what makes headlines for being negative is not always a widely reported when they turn out to be false.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Tbf we've had six months of Tory craziness.

Now stories like a pro Brexit (ex) MP wanting to take the government to ECHR is boring.

As is the home secretary not being able to say how an African kid could claim asylum here legally (proof she isn't on fab)

And irrc an MP may have been told off for having undeclared loans into an offshore account from a Russian. Again. Run of the mill russianess.

over a year ago

No one wants to

over a year ago

The politics threads are generally one dimensional so not very appealing for informed debate.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"The politics threads are generally one dimensional so not very appealing for informed debate. "

chapeau

over a year ago

"The politics threads are generally one dimensional so not very appealing for informed debate. "
agreed . It's always the same suspects.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

Sadly, that's very true.

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Scatter-gunning threads, with opinion passed off as fact, is very off-putting.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

I think it al depends on what you want from the forum. Serious argument to win the case or a light debate about everyone’s various opinions.

When training to be a barrister they hold what’s called a mooting competition between the universities . The best pair of students from each uni are chosen and through a series of knock out mock trial debates. The two finalist teams eventually meet in front of a law lord or similar. I think the last was held at the Supreme Court.

The debates are interesting if you need a finite guidance on a particular topic or to gauge a students ability.

From an entertainment point of view they are extremely hard going as it’s a lot of reference to previous cases and their precedent.

So on a forum do you want opinion based banter to gently argue your corner or a grindingly dull back and forth with reference to contradicting articles and reports.

Both have their place but on a swinging forum maybe the lighter option is better.

Im guilty of too much reference sometimes so not pointing any fingers.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 24/11/22 09:13:20]

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

Why - have you missed me?

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Come on folks there must be some topics we can get some good banter going on again?

Why - have you missed me?

"

Actually your posts seem to be (almost) exclusively around energy related topics. Personally I find them informative, if a little technical. I don’t recall seeing you get involved in threads on immigrants, tory v labour, political scandal, Trump etc

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Where’s Pat?

over a year ago

"Where’s Pat? "

Pat was pro Truss and very anti Sunak, he has backed himself into a corner

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

And which dimension would you say that is?

Despite being on Fab for years, I only really started digging into the forums during the pandemic, mainly out of boredom.

Even in that relatively short period of time I have seen a shift in balance.

There used to be more “right wingers” and brexit supporters posting. More Boris supporters. They have whittled away but I reckon that is also reflective of a general shift in mood across the UK as a whole. There are clearly more “left wingers” in the forum lately.

There is a danger of it becoming an echo chamber.

I think the poster above is correct though. There are some (on both/all sides) who want to “win” at any discussion. They will research and cite evidence etc and use that to try and crush any views they disagree with. Done it myself on occasion (more so in the Virus section).

It’s all a bit silly really.

And the odd juxtaposition of getting into a text based heated discussion on serious topics with random strangers on a swinger forum when their avatars are full of naked tits, asses, pussies and cocks, sometimes makes me giggle!

We’re an odd bunch.

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Where’s Pat?

Pat was pro Truss and very anti Sunak, he has backed himself into a corner "

He’s regrouping and developing a new persona/character. He’ll be back talking about winners soon.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I think it al depends on what you want from the forum. Serious argument to win the case or a light debate about everyone’s various opinions.

When training to be a barrister they hold what’s called a mooting competition between the universities . The best pair of students from each uni are chosen and through a series of knock out mock trial debates. The two finalist teams eventually meet in front of a law lord or similar. I think the last was held at the Supreme Court.

The debates are interesting if you need a finite guidance on a particular topic or to gauge a students ability.

From an entertainment point of view they are extremely hard going as it’s a lot of reference to previous cases and their precedent.

So on a forum do you want opinion based banter to gently argue your corner or a grindingly dull back and forth with reference to contradicting articles and reports.

Both have their place but on a swinging forum maybe the lighter option is better.

Im guilty of too much reference sometimes so not pointing any fingers.

"

I'd like both. (cake and eat it). I'm fascinated by opinions and motivations. Facts and feelings.

Imo there are two types of opinions. Ones where we see similar information and draw different conclusions. I like to understand why. In many cases noone is "right" or "wrong". We all have our own way of weighting information and different views in what is important. These discussion shouldn't be shouted down or drowned in sources.

But some views are built on thin air. Imo they should be challenged.

But I don

over a year ago

"The politics threads are generally one dimensional so not very appealing for informed debate.

"

Boring anti Tory.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"The politics threads are generally one dimensional so not very appealing for informed debate.

Boring anti Tory. "

Justified tho, let's be honest.

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

I try to keep out the firing line on those subjects, especially when my sarcasm is completely misunderstood.'Peter Kay' Northern humour many Southerners don't understand. Garlic Bread?

Being accused of scaremongering, conspiracy and providing 'false' although provable facts is enough as it is, without trying to draw more fire - to the point of some making false accusations of my posts to Admin.

I was active in Virus Forum was but that seems to be deniers and conspiracy now. Not much Energy related News as media has been distracted. However, I feel this might not be a good thing and may come to bite us, although it is a perfect smoke-screen for an inept government.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Boring anti Tory.

Justified tho, let's be honest."

It is justified of course. But I get the point. You have to be very creative to defend the Tories and it not be totally ridiculous & laughable.

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Boring anti Tory.

Justified tho, let's be honest.

It is justified of course. But I get the point. You have to be very creative to defend the Tories and it not be totally ridiculous & laughable.

"

I find it interesting that criticising this highly inept self serving bunch of crooks is seen as “anti Tory”. I have said it many times in these threads that I do not think the governments led by Johnson or Truss were actually Conservatives. They had been pulled so far right by the ERG members, that the more moderate and arguably “real” Tories were ousted or not given Ministerial positions. We had two narcissists in a row as PM who were both deluded and self serving in the extreme.

I don’t quite know yet how to characterise the Sunak led government. On the one hand we hear the ERG (or whatever they call themselves now) are still wielding a lot of power and influence (hence Sunak seemingly backing away from Swiss/EEA discussion). But them we have an autumn budget statement that would not have seemed remotely out of place in a Labour manifesto!

Jury is out for me.

over a year ago

Way to prove a point ^^^

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Way to prove a point ^^^ "

Not sure I follow? My point was clear. IMO it isn’t “anti Tory” to have been critical of Johnson and Truss led govts as they do not share many qualities with previous Conservative govts. Do you disagree?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

We e enjoying the sun sea and sex in Gran Canaria.

Normal service will resume next week

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

Normal service will resume next week "

Stop bloody posting and focus on having fun then

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Normal service will resume next week "

In a nice as way as possible if saying it, get off the site lol..

Enjoy the break..

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Normal service will resume next week

Stop bloody posting and focus on having fun then "

We're back and it seems like the old saying is right

Different day same shite lol

Time to book a holiday ...

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

So another trend I have noticed is the (self perceived) Mic drop posts.

People either start threads or come into a thread and post what they think is a definitive and inarguable statement on a topic. They then get owned by other posters or their post(s) is taken apart and revealed to not be as accurate or clever as they thought.

Then instead of admitting they may have got it wrong they simply vanish from that thread.

That strikes me as a rather delicate disposition. They are clearly people who like to dish things out and believe they are all superior when the reality turns out to be the opposite. They end up looking less alpha and more beta (well delta probably) which I doubt is their original intention!

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"So another trend I have noticed is the (self perceived) Mic drop posts.

People either start threads or come into a thread and post what they think is a definitive and inarguable statement on a topic. They then get owned by other posters or their post(s) is taken apart and revealed to not be as accurate or clever as they thought.

Then instead of admitting they may have got it wrong they simply vanish from that thread.

That strikes me as a rather delicate disposition. They are clearly people who like to dish things out and believe they are all superior when the reality turns out to be the opposite. They end up looking less alpha and more beta (well delta probably) which I doubt is their original intention!"

Yep I see that too and although I can be a bit tribal or partisan at times (to my shame?) I know that generally if I post something then I believe in it whether it’s accurate or just emotional and so I will stick with my point of view….unless of course I collapse in ignominy, at which point I will retire from the thread with whatever grace I can muster.

The odd ones are those who throw facts (allegedly!) at you and then try to pile on more and more of them without looking at the bigger picture….pyrrhic victories which only make sense to them. People are strange aren’t they!

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

TBF I have rarely seen anyone admit error or fault. And annoyingly I see it in myself. Now, I know I can't be right about everything, but can I point to a place where a) I have been wrong and more importantly b) admitted it?

Maybe a couple of places I've gone from ignorance to informed. But wrong to right ... Hmmmm.

By *ustintime69Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"TBF I have rarely seen anyone admit error or fault. And annoyingly I see it in myself. Now, I know I can't be right about everything, but can I point to a place where a) I have been wrong and more importantly b) admitted it?

Maybe a couple of places I've gone from ignorance to informed. But wrong to right ... Hmmmm. "

I don’t think you were the erm….target of that particular post

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"TBF I have rarely seen anyone admit error or fault. And annoyingly I see it in myself. Now, I know I can't be right about everything, but can I point to a place where a) I have been wrong and more importantly b) admitted it?

Maybe a couple of places I've gone from ignorance to informed. But wrong to right ... Hmmmm.

I don’t think you were the erm….target of that particular post "

oh, I realised (well, hoped!)

Just something I've been reflecting on recently.

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

I don’t think you were the erm….target of that particular post oh, I realised (well, hoped!)

Just something I've been reflecting on recently. "

You weren’t

None of us are right all the time. None of us are experts in all fields. None of us are even really knowledgeable in all fields, it isn’t possible.

However, it is possible to have opinions and sometimes those opinions may be purely emotive and sometimes they are based on reading various docs and our interpretation on what we read.

I think it takes balls to admit when we are wrong. It is the sign of a mature and self assured adult.

What I cannot stand is those who seem to think that provides some kind of victory? I mean does it matter to you THAT much...on a forum on a swinger website

The irony is these “only winning matters” posters are the least able to admit when they are wrong or had gaps in their knowledge. They tend to take it all too seriously and pretty much always lack any sense of humour!

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Here are a couple of topics that could start a flurry of controversy...

1) How has brexit impacted Santa

2) Can anyone afford to cook a whole turkey

3) Is climate change, really the answer to our increased heating bills (It's a joke)

4) Shall we move from the pint to the litre in pub measures

5) Donald Trump

There you go, enjoy

over a year ago

3) Is climate change, really the answer to our increased heating bills (It's a joke)

5) Donald Trump

There you go, enjoy "

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

5) Donald Trump

There you go, enjoy "

First of all a point of order...five is not a couple! Unless you are on a swinger website

1) How has brexit impacted Santa = Coming from Lapland in Finland he list his FOM so needs a visa to enter the UK but will probably get shot down by the RAF anyway as he is a foreigner!

2) Can anyone afford to cook a whole turkey = I thought those figures UKIP/Vote Leave spouted about 70million Turks flooding into the EU and by extension the UK was wrong! Cooking them seems a bit harsh!

3) Is climate change, really the answer to our increased heating bills (It's a joke) = If we ignore the NIMBYs and build a load of onshore windfarms right on the coast, they will eventually be offshore so no worries.

4) Shall we move from the pint to the litre in pub measures = “hold my litre” just doesn’t sound right!

5) Donald Trump = wanker!

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Maybe a couple of places I've gone from ignorance to informed. But wrong to right ... Hmmmm. "

I don't mind admitting to being wrong, we were in gran Canaria until 2 days before lockdown in 2020 and I regularly posted here that people were exaggerating the problem and it would be over in a week or two. I said the extrapolated exponential death figures projecting over 1000 deaths a week were bullshit.

Sadly I couldn't have been more wrong ....

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I don't mind admitting to being wrong, we were in gran Canaria until 2 days before lockdown in 2020 and I regularly posted here that people were exaggerating the problem and it would be over in a week or two. I said the extrapolated exponential death figures projecting over 1000 deaths a week were bullshit.

Sadly I couldn't have been more wrong ....

"

I was in Singapore which was getting on okay with it for a few months. I was conflicted about whether I was over reacting in coming home .... Thought I'd be back in a few months. Nope.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

5) Donald Trump

There you go, enjoy

First of all a point of order...five is not a couple! Unless you are on a swinger website

1) How has brexit impacted Santa = Coming from Lapland in Finland he list his FOM so needs a visa to enter the UK but will probably get shot down by the RAF anyway as he is a foreigner!

2) Can anyone afford to cook a whole turkey = I thought those figures UKIP/Vote Leave spouted about 70million Turks flooding into the EU and by extension the UK was wrong! Cooking them seems a bit harsh!

3) Is climate change, really the answer to our increased heating bills (It's a joke) = If we ignore the NIMBYs and build a load of onshore windfarms right on the coast, they will eventually be offshore so no worries.

4) Shall we move from the pint to the litre in pub measures = “hold my litre” just doesn’t sound right!

5) Donald Trump = wanker!"

3 I especially like

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

I see Dr Doom has returned lol

Let the fearmongering resume !!

By *irldn OP   Couple
over a year ago

Brighton

I see Dr Doom has returned lol

Let the fearmongering resume !!"

Pat is back too, under a new name but very poorly disguised. At least we can look forward to some comedy gold!

Post new Message to Thread