Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Pouring petrol on the bonfire of Scottish Independence

Jump to newest

By *inn OP   Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Whoooosh! The flames are growing higher.

Scottish people will demand freedom - this is not going away.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *illi3736Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

You mean some people will demand independence while a far larger percentage of the population will contend with the business of getting on with their lives

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

In order to join the EU. That's a powerful incentive, small countries punch above their weight in the EU

By *ugehandsMan
over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

"Whoooosh! The flames are growing higher.

Scottish people will demand freedom - this is not going away. "

Liar liar Sturgeons arse is the only thing that should be on fire... Still the cult followers will continue to follow their messiah without question.

Her push for a referendum is nothing more than a distraction from hers and the SNP failures

over a year ago

Bye bye

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Are you sure that is not blowing out the flames? Good luck on reigniting them

By *inn OP   Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Yesterday, all over Scotland, thousands and thousands of people took to the street, city centres, town squares and at Holyrood parliament to show their disdain for this Union.

There is no partnership, no equal status. The decision had effectively labelled Scotland as a colony of England. We have no democratic right to self determination. The word for Scottish people is banned on FAB forums so I can’t use it here.

But if you treat us like that we will continue to fight.

This is about a democratic right. The right to choose if we want to remain in this Union or to face the future as an independent country.

Are you sure that is not blowing out the flames? Good luck on reigniting them "

By *inn OP   Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Cult - like the Boris cult, the masses of Express readers, your once great nation is a laughing stock around the world. The market forces showed what they thought of the crazy Tory budget to reward the rich. I can see you there standing in your collarless shirt and braces, doffing your t cap to your masters. A sad image for a northern man.

I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon than any of the Tory candidates. When they let the Tory children (Truss & co) take over they wreaked the house. Even now the racist elements in the tory ranks are plotting to get Rushi out.

The Union stinks

Liar liar Sturgeons arse is the only thing that should be on fire... Still the cult followers will continue to follow their messiah without question.

Her push for a referendum is nothing more than a distraction from hers and the SNP failures"

over a year ago

Imagine: You have your independence and what will you do with it?

We have Brexit and done nothing with it.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Cult - like the Boris cult, the masses of Express readers, your once great nation is a laughing stock around the world. The market forces showed what they thought of the crazy Tory budget to reward the rich. I can see you there standing in your collarless shirt and braces, doffing your t cap to your masters. A sad image for a northern man.

I would rather have Nicola Sturgeon than any of the Tory candidates. When they let the Tory children (Truss & co) take over they wreaked the house. Even now the racist elements in the tory ranks are plotting to get Rushi out.

The Union stinks

Her push for a referendum is nothing more than a distraction from hers and the SNP failures"

o suspect many would want a different government to the current batch. But imo that's not a reason for independence. Give it two years and they will be gone (which is why sturgeon is pushing hard now imo)

After independence what will stop Scotland having its own bunch of misfits ? Maybe not immediately but I can't see any reason why Scotland couldn't go the same way.

After all, SNP may ebvime Elsa dominant once their big issue has been resolved. The Tory vite share is increasing. And SNP and labour could split votes.

There will also be huge pressure to make independence a success and to demonstrate autonomy. That's what drive some of the last few years of Tory madness. Don't be confident an independent Scotland won't follow the same path.

(Vote independenxe for all means. Just don't vote because short term issues).

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Yesterday, all over Scotland, thousands and thousands of people took to the street, city centres, town squares and at Holyrood parliament to show their disdain for this Union.

There is no partnership, no equal status. The decision had effectively labelled Scotland as a colony of England. We have no democratic right to self determination. The word for Scottish people is banned on FAB forums so I can’t use it here.

But if you treat us like that we will continue to fight.

This is about a democratic right. The right to choose if we want to remain in this Union or to face the future as an independent country.

Are you sure that is not blowing out the flames? Good luck on reigniting them "

I’m pretty sure you only have your interests at heart. What is the plan, how do you secure the future of 5.5millon people as you cut yourselves off in the North?

II’m yet to hear a strategy that has legs, more regurgitating we want our independence. What’s the plan?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Imagine: You have your independence and what will you do with it?

We have Brexit and done nothing with it.

"

The UK was an independent nation before. So this is not a good comparison.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

it was voted on in the last referendum and the majority of Scottish people voted against independence.

And now the wannabe Queen of Scotland wants to go for best of 3 referendums ??

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

I've said it before, if the good people of Scotland vote for independence, I wish them nothing but success. However, in the last referendum, they voted against it. It was generally accepted that this was a once in a generation vote and 20 years have not yet passed. Once they have, by all means petition for another one. Otherwise I think we all know what will happen...indyref after indyref until she gets her preferred result then no more indyref

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I've said it before, if the good people of Scotland vote for independence, I wish them nothing but success. However, in the last referendum, they voted against it. It was generally accepted that this was a once in a generation vote and 20 years have not yet passed. Once they have, by all means petition for another one. Otherwise I think we all know what will happen...indyref after indyref until she gets her preferred result then no more indyref "

"Generally accepted" doesn't sound legally binding.

I think there is a strong case to say the situation has changed significantly since the last referendum. Brexit.

Although, I agree they shouldn't keep having referendums if the situation doesn't change. Just hoping one swings their way.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"I've said it before, if the good people of Scotland vote for independence, I wish them nothing but success. However, in the last referendum, they voted against it. It was generally accepted that this was a once in a generation vote and 20 years have not yet passed. Once they have, by all means petition for another one. Otherwise I think we all know what will happen...indyref after indyref until she gets her preferred result then no more indyref

I think there is a strong case to say the situation has changed significantly since the last referendum. Brexit.

Although, I agree they shouldn't keep having referendums if the situation doesn't change. Just hoping one swings their way. "

I’m no legal expert, but I can read text and arrive at a fair conclusion, if the text is clear.

My question, who is advising NS? Why would she push forward with the challenge as she did, when it was as clear as day, what the answer was going to be?

Who paid for this, was it out of the SNP funds, or tax payers money?

By *inn OP   Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Once in a generation. This was not on the voting paper and not part of official information on the options for the Scottish people. It was said in an interview by a now disgraced politician. Do you think that Scotland should be held to the fanciful mutterings of a disgraced politician who no longer has a seat in the Scottish parliament.

If you want to say Scotland can’t have a referendum say it for official reasons - like we do not have a democratic right. That Scotland isn’t an equal partner in the Union. That Scottish people are not allowed to follow a route to self determination.

Say it for all of those reasons but the once in a generation statement was nonsense then and nonsense now.

Yes I know the oil and gas is running out!

We will just use the pound until we develop our own central clearing bank!

We can join the EU if there is a Scottish referendum where the people decide that’s what they want to do!

SNP are a vehicle for independence. After independence they will most likely fracture into splinter groups or join other parties - we know!

It’s been 8 years since the 2014 referendum. In those 8 years the population has shifted dramatically.

8 years of younger generations obtaining the right to vote.

8 years of older people with less appetite for risk becoming deceased.

Scotland has massive resources which we all know is the main reason the Westminster politicians do not want Scotland to go independent.

It’s not because you actually care about Scottish people.

The Scottish people that are fervent unionists - well they are unlikely to change their minds, but they are shrinking as a factor.

The state of the Union has changed dramatically.

Oh and brexit is a disaster.

So give me some real positive reasons to stay in this sick Union.

By *eglover62TV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

Yes about 38% of the Scottish people will demand independence. We have freedom. Hollywood has much to answer for

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Once in a generation. This was not on the voting paper and not part of official information on the options for the Scottish people. It was said in an interview by a now disgraced politician. Do you think that Scotland should be held to the fanciful mutterings of a disgraced politician who no longer has a seat in the Scottish parliament.

If you want to say Scotland can’t have a referendum say it for official reasons - like we do not have a democratic right. That Scotland isn’t an equal partner in the Union. That Scottish people are not allowed to follow a route to self determination.

Say it for all of those reasons but the once in a generation statement was nonsense then and nonsense now.

We can join the EU if there is a Scottish referendum where the people decide that’s what they want to do!

SNP are a vehicle for independence. After independence they will most likely fracture into splinter groups or join other parties - we know!

It’s been 8 years since the 2014 referendum. In those 8 years the population has shifted dramatically.

Scotland has massive resources which we all know is the main reason the Westminster politicians do not want Scotland to go independent.

The Scottish people that are fervent unionists - well they are unlikely to change their minds, but they are shrinking as a factor.

So give me some real positive reasons to stay in this sick Union. "

Brexit isnt great. If I were Scottish I'd be asking why that is, and if any of these factors could play out under independence?

Bad elected officials. Yep. Tho as you say, you have your own disgraced politicians (was he in charge during indyref1?)

Border issues. Yep. That's an issue for you too.

FOM disappears. Do Scots want to work in the UK freely? You can't guarantee the UK gov would play here.

A currency balls up. Yet you'd be looking to use the GBP and so similarly exposed.

I get the desire for autonomy. I'm just not sure it solves everything. And a lot that it solves is absed on the current HMG being tosh.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"I've said it before, if the good people of Scotland vote for independence, I wish them nothing but success. However, in the last referendum, they voted against it. It was generally accepted that this was a once in a generation vote and 20 years have not yet passed. Once they have, by all means petition for another one. Otherwise I think we all know what will happen...indyref after indyref until she gets her preferred result then no more indyref

Although, I agree they shouldn't keep having referendums if the situation doesn't change. Just hoping one swings their way. "

Generally accepted isn't legally binding which is why the wording around the next one should be

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"Once in a generation. This was not on the voting paper and not part of official information on the options for the Scottish people. It was said in an interview by a now disgraced politician. Do you think that Scotland should be held to the fanciful mutterings of a disgraced politician who no longer has a seat in the Scottish parliament.

So give me some real positive reasons to stay in this sick Union. "

I'm not giving you any reasons. If the majority want to leave one union for another, good luck to you

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Although, I agree they shouldn't keep having referendums if the situation doesn't change. Just hoping one swings their way.

Generally accepted isn't legally binding which is why the wording around the next one should be "

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"I've said it before, if the good people of Scotland vote for independence, I wish them nothing but success. However, in the last referendum, they voted against it. It was generally accepted that this was a once in a generation vote and 20 years have not yet passed. Once they have, by all means petition for another one. Otherwise I think we all know what will happen...indyref after indyref until she gets her preferred result then no more indyref "

Like you I think if Scotland votes to leave then would wish them success. Personally I think the brexit vote has given them reason to at least push for another referendum. I don't quite understand the stance on the currency and EU. It seems that after using sterling for a while, they want to introduce a new currency. However I think they also want to join the EU but not use the euro which I think could be a problem. I would hope they have looked into this and got prior agreement from the EU for their plans

Post new Message to Thread