Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Scexit

Jump to newest

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

So the outcome of whether Scotland can go forward and hold the long debated referendum will be announced tomorrow morning. UK Supreme Courts will decide if Scotland needs Westminster to approve the ref or not.

Only questions is Ayes or Nays

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/22/supreme-court-to-rule-second-scottish-independence-referendum

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

"So the outcome of whether Scotland can go forward and hold the long debated referendum will be announced tomorrow morning. UK Supreme Courts will decide if Scotland needs Westminster to approve the ref or not.

Only questions is Ayes or Nays

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/22/supreme-court-to-rule-second-scottish-independence-referendum "

Highly unlikely

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

I'll say they'll support it. If the only argument is once in a generation then what brexit was sold as hasn't materialised

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Rejected.

BBC News - Scottish government loses indyref2 court case

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63727562

By *rench letterCouple
over a year ago

Chorley,

There will have been some back handers from this crooked tory goverment. It should be up to scotland to decide there own fate.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"There will have been some back handers from this crooked tory goverment. It should be up to scotland to decide there own fate. "

It was likely Mr King Carolean that had a chat and said errrrr don't be nobs now, I want my ferns in the UK

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse. "
it's as tho you haven't had a vote on it in the last 8 years.

While a government can't bind the hands of the next one, I would like to see a clause the next time indyref is granted to say no more referendums for say 50 years.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse. it's as tho you haven't had a vote on it in the last 8 years.

While a government can't bind the hands of the next one, I would like to see a clause the next time indyref is granted to say no more referendums for say 50 years. "

So are you going to change the terms of the good Friday agreement?

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse. it's as tho you haven't had a vote on it in the last 8 years.

While a government can't bind the hands of the next one, I would like to see a clause the next time indyref is granted to say no more referendums for say 50 years.

So are you going to change the terms of the good Friday agreement?"

what do you mean ?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

So are you going to change the terms of the good Friday agreement?what do you mean ?

"

It's written into that agreement that once there has been a border poll they will then take place every 7 years. So you will have to rewrite that agreement.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

So are you going to change the terms of the good Friday agreement?what do you mean ?

It's written into that agreement that once there has been a border poll they will then take place every 7 years. So you will have to rewrite that agreement. "

is that GFA or NIP?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

It's written into that agreement that once there has been a border poll they will then take place every 7 years. So you will have to rewrite that agreement. is that GFA or NIP? "

GFA.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It's written into that agreement that once there has been a border poll they will then take place every 7 years. So you will have to rewrite that agreement. is that GFA or NIP?

GFA. "

can you link me up? I thought the border poll was part of NIP.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

It's written into that agreement that once there has been a border poll they will then take place every 7 years. So you will have to rewrite that agreement. is that GFA or NIP?

GFA. can you link me up? I thought the border poll was part of NIP. "

You ask me that as if I'm a tech wizard Google GFA border poll

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

GFA. can you link me up? I thought the border poll was part of NIP.

You ask me that as if I'm a tech wizard Google GFA border poll"

aha. I was confused. Finally found an article that helped me.

So yes, I agree, the gfa says no new polss can take place until at least seven years have passed from the previous one. So there is at least a time stamp in there. Which I agree with.

It looks like it is also triggered by the UK government and needs consent on both countries affected.

I think the first of those allows a shorter time period to be put in. Maybe im back solving a view. But I think consistently going after a vote until you get the answer you want isnt democarcy nor helpful.

Unless SNP would sign up to having a reunification poll every seven years too.

Personally I think any vote that changes the status quo in a way that is effectively irreversible news more than a simple majority. That's another thread!

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

You ask me that as if I'm a tech wizard Google GFA border pollaha. I was confused. Finally found an article that helped me.

So yes, I agree, the gfa says no new polss can take place until at least seven years have passed from the previous one. So there is at least a time stamp in there. Which I agree with.

It looks like it is also triggered by the UK government and needs consent on both countries affected.

I think the first of those allows a shorter time period to be put in. Maybe im back solving a view. But I think consistently going after a vote until you get the answer you want isnt democarcy nor helpful.

Personally I think any vote that changes the status quo in a way that is effectively irreversible news more than a simple majority. That's another thread!"

The frequency of any referendum should be for the sovereign people of Scotland to decide. Fact is, this issue is not going to go away, Westminster can't just keep saying no.

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse. "

How often do you jave democracy on a once in a lifetime vote?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse.

How often do you jave democracy on a once in a lifetime vote?"

Once in a lifetime was a phrase used during the debate. It was never part of the legal agreement. 8 elections have now been won in Scotland since 2014 each time the winning parties manifesto stood on the basis of having a referendum. The fact that Westminster ignores this is an affront to democracy.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

You ask me that as if I'm a tech wizard Google GFA border pollaha. I was confused. Finally found an article that helped me.

Personally I think any vote that changes the status quo in a way that is effectively irreversible news more than a simple majority. That's another thread!

The frequency of any referendum should be for the sovereign people of Scotland to decide. Fact is, this issue is not going to go away, Westminster can't just keep saying no. "

would you be happy for a reunification referendum a year after sexit?

I have no skin in the game here. Other than believing referendums and the like are distractions and so end up having huge opportunity cost.

I'd prefer a politically agreed sexit that is then ratified by the people. That can include repolls etc. The GFA (based on my v quick reading admittedly) looks a sensible way of doing things

Indyref1, 2 and Brexit all lack firm details. Is there any consensus on the independence side on currency, borders, FoM, pensions etc. And have the rUK agreed to anything to that affects them. Which is part of why the supreme court has given the view it has. And why GFA poll has both NI and RoI polls.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

The frequency of any referendum should be for the sovereign people of Scotland to decide. Fact is, this issue is not going to go away, Westminster can't just keep saying no. would you be happy for a reunification referendum a year after sexit?

I have no skin in the game here. Other than believing referendums and the like are distractions and so end up having huge opportunity cost.

I'd prefer a politically agreed sexit that is then ratified by the people. That can include repolls etc. The GFA (based on my v quick reading admittedly) looks a sensible way of doing things

Indyref1, 2 and Brexit all lack firm details. Is there any consensus on the independence side on currency, borders, FoM, pensions etc. And have the rUK agreed to anything to that affects them. Which is part of why the supreme court has given the view it has. And why GFA poll has both NI and RoI polls. "

All very well, but with a Westminster government flat out saying no those point are currently mute

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

The frequency of any referendum should be for the sovereign people of Scotland to decide. Fact is, this issue is not going to go away, Westminster can't just keep saying no. would you be happy for a reunification referendum a year after sexit?

Indyref1, 2 and Brexit all lack firm details. Is there any consensus on the independence side on currency, borders, FoM, pensions etc. And have the rUK agreed to anything to that affects them. Which is part of why the supreme court has given the view it has. And why GFA poll has both NI and RoI polls.

All very well, but with a Westminster government flat out saying no those point are currently mute "

agree. Although while I understand your point about elections, I don't think SNP have helped here. They either need to say they are a one policy party or find a stronger argument for support. How's the polling ATM ?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

All very well, but with a Westminster government flat out saying no those point are currently mute agree. Although while I understand your point about elections, I don't think SNP have helped here. They either need to say they are a one policy party or find a stronger argument for support. How's the polling ATM ?"

There is a suggestion that the next election manifesto will only contain having an independence referendum. Problem is, based on previous action of UK government its unlikely to listened to.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

All very well, but with a Westminster government flat out saying no those point are currently mute agree. Although while I understand your point about elections, I don't think SNP have helped here. They either need to say they are a one policy party or find a stronger argument for support. How's the polling ATM ?

There is a suggestion that the next election manifesto will only contain having an independence referendum. Problem is, based on previous action of UK government its unlikely to listened to. "

imo it would be harder if they won a majority on this. The ukip approach. . Is there any down side to this ?

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

All very well, but with a Westminster government flat out saying no those point are currently mute agree. Although while I understand your point about elections, I don't think SNP have helped here. They either need to say they are a one policy party or find a stronger argument for support. How's the polling ATM ?

There is a suggestion that the next election manifesto will only contain having an independence referendum. Problem is, based on previous action of UK government its unlikely to listened to. imo it would be harder if they won a majority on this. The ukip approach. . Is there any down side to this ?"

Downside, UK government ignoring it. International community not accepting it. Watched pmq's today, they won't even tell us how you can legally leave the "voluntary" union

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

There is a suggestion that the next election manifesto will only contain having an independence referendum. Problem is, based on previous action of UK government its unlikely to listened to. imo it would be harder if they won a majority on this. The ukip approach. . Is there any down side to this ?

Downside, UK government ignoring it. International community not accepting it. Watched pmq's today, they won't even tell us how you can legally leave the "voluntary" union "

that's not a downside from trying this approach.

Imo the SNP need to rexognise that any referendum will affect rUK and work to manage that element. That makes HMG position harder to defend (I do realise there is a degree of hypocrisy with HMG given brexit!)

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"Not surprised. How long can they deny the vote. Election after election we are voting independence manifestos both in Scotland and UK elections. Democracy? My arse.

Once in a lifetime was a phrase used during the debate. It was never part of the legal agreement. 8 elections have now been won in Scotland since 2014 each time the winning parties manifesto stood on the basis of having a referendum. The fact that Westminster ignores this is an affront to democracy. "

So the you'd agree that superiority and nationalists lied on tb in front of millions of people. In describing it as such?

The trouble with voting for parties and interests are that. They represent a protest vote

For example. Millions voted for ukip. They didn't necessarily believe in ukips manifesto. But simply as a protest vote

If you look at the voting numbers the snp got 1242380 vs lib/lab/con of 1468194

Still short of about 200k for a pro leave.

So the numbers still don't stack in the sps favour.

By *ornyone30Man
over a year ago

ABERDEEN

Once in a lifetime was a phrase used during the debate. It was never part of the legal agreement. 8 elections have now been won in Scotland since 2014 each time the winning parties manifesto stood on the basis of having a referendum. The fact that Westminster ignores this is an affront to democracy.

So the you'd agree that superiority and nationalists lied on tb in front of millions of people. In describing it as such?

The trouble with voting for parties and interests are that. They represent a protest vote

For example. Millions voted for ukip. They didn't necessarily believe in ukips manifesto. But simply as a protest vote

So the numbers still don't stack in the sps favour."

There is absolutely no point bringing actual votes counted into this argument. If you follow that line then no party has ever truly been elected, tories were never truly elected to deliver brexit and the current and previous PM have no right to govern.

Anyway I've rambled enough on this post. I'm off to polish my claymore....take that as you wish. alba gu brath

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Justice to scotland

By *orleymanMan
over a year ago

Leeds

There is absolutely no point bringing actual votes counted into this argument. If you follow that line then no party has ever truly been elected, tories were never truly elected to deliver brexit and the current and previous PM have no right to govern.

Anyway I've rambled enough on this post. I'm off to polish my claymore....take that as you wish. alba gu brath"

By the sane logic there's no point bringing mps elected. Because ukip only ever had 2 so brexit wouldn't be popular.....oh wait.

I am merely highlighting to you. Using 1 source of numerical identifiers as a a reason and ignoring another course is counter productive.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Scexit?

Sounds like a word for the poo from those bird things off the Dark Crystal.

By *bernathCouple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Anyway I've rambled enough on this post. I'm off to polish my claymore....take that as you wish. alba gu brath

By the sane logic there's no point bringing mps elected. Because ukip only ever had 2 so brexit wouldn't be popular.....oh wait.

I am merely highlighting to you. Using 1 source of numerical identifiers as a a reason and ignoring another course is counter productive.

"

Let’s dial back a moment, most of the tories were eurosceptic anyways, UKIP just pushed them along further.

If the SNP decided to stand candidates in the UK, and then got the mandate they wanted then it wouldn’t be a problem, but they don’t want to go to the rest of the UK with this issue.

By *oodmess OP   Man
over a year ago

yumsville

"Scexit?

Sounds like a word for the poo from those bird things off the Dark Crystal. "

Amid the row a sensible response. I think they have to exit in otherwise it would be Scotsit - sounds like a doggy command, or Scotit - sound like what it'd end up

Post new Message to Thread