Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Life critical equipment

Jump to newest

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Uk power cut warning prompts fear for people using life-saving machines

f you have family members or neighbours with Life Critical power requirements.

Talk to them about Plan B should power go off for extended time periods, also a plan c should they need to be moved to somewhere with reliable heating and electricity.

Same applies to heat during power cuts.

There are a number of options but preparation is key.

Heat:

Portable Gas Heater

Back up power

A small 2kwh-3kwh Inverter petrol generator is enough for most properties, although the energy demand of Life Critical machinery might increase the size required.

Back up power will also provide:

» lighting power

» fridge freezer power

» boiler power supply

This has been little spoke about and addressed by a government who genuinely believes power supply's from a "dynamic and robust system".

Property wiring needs modifying in or to make generator connection quick and safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/oct/06/uk-power-cut-warning-prompts-fear-for-people-using-life-saving-machines

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

How do these people cope when there is a local power cut in their area? You know, late evening you're on the computer then all your electrics and local street lights go out and burglar alarms start going off.

By *00STERMan
over a year ago

nearby

Solar panels and battery… no power cuts here.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

The guardian seems to love scaremongering. I suppose they're not alone

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Solar panels and battery… no power cuts here."

So, why haven't government been installing the Inverter/ Battery option to provide UPS power to those who can't live without? Solar nice to have, but battery back-up is the least.

Solar / Battery here but sometimes during Winter, the photons won't be enough. The last three days here has been low productivity, although tomorrow should see some sunshine.

I have an Inverter Generator handy and put a transfer switch on the Critical load backfeed link.

I don't rely 100% on Solar over Winter, although Grid should be available to override the charger - hopefully.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"How do these people cope when there is a local power cut in their area? You know, late evening you're on the computer then all your electrics and local street lights go out and burglar alarms start going off."

They are on the Vulnerable Customer List with priority for generators or other alternatives. Just in a large area outages, the providers won't have the resources normally available.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"How do these people cope when there is a local power cut in their area? You know, late evening you're on the computer then all your electrics and local street lights go out and burglar alarms start going off."

In areas where power cuts are frequent I'm sure there is a plan B. However I have lived in the South or London for the last 28 years and I can count on one hand the amount of times we have had a power cut that has lasted more than 5 minutes.

over a year ago

"How do these people cope when there is a local power cut in their area? You know, late evening you're on the computer then all your electrics and local street lights go out and burglar alarms start going off.

They are on the Vulnerable Customer List with priority for generators or other alternatives. Just in a large area outages, the providers won't have the resources normally available."

My understanding is for this very reason it will only be small areas at a time. So for example only part of a town one day and then the other part the next.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Not read anything..

It would mainly depend on how much load to shed.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"Life critical" devices have battery backups end of .....

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

10 hours?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"10 hours?"

10 hours ?

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

What a lovely Autumn day. Bright sunshine, still calm air.

Driving from Blackburn to Manchester over the top.of Haslingden to drop off some gas heaters - to see those majestic wind turbines over in the distance.

How beautiful they looked, in a complete state of frozen Animation, I pulled over, took some photos and checked the UK Energy Mix.

Oh, Solar was 12%, wind was 8% and Gas was at a whopping 67%.

Wind turbines are best - TURNING!

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Wow !!!

They can generate 8% without even turning that's some invention

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

If you have a friend or relative in a Residential Care Home, you should be asking questions like:

How do they plan to heat the building in the event of prolonged loss of power.

If they don't have one, they should - even without this Winters events. They are responsible for the Welfare of their residents.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Now if only someone would donate hundreds of gas heaters to care homes instead of constantly posting about it, all those relatives could be toasty all winter.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Now if only someone would donate hundreds of gas heaters to care homes instead of constantly posting about it, all those relatives could be toasty all winter."

I'm seeing the posts you mention, but I see a drawback.

I'm not convinced that gas heaters, assuming they create a flame, are safe around oxygen machines and other care home hazards.

They really could end up toasty....

By *urreyfun38Couple
over a year ago

croydon

"Now if only someone would donate hundreds of gas heaters to care homes instead of constantly posting about it, all those relatives could be toasty all winter.

I'm not convinced that gas heaters, assuming they create a flame, are safe around oxygen machines and other care home hazards.

"

Yes it would be very dangerous as if there is excess oxygen everything become flammable

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Now if only someone would donate hundreds of gas heaters to care homes instead of constantly posting about it, all those relatives could be toasty all winter.

"

And exactly the reason the boiler should be providing the heating.

But, without power - how?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"

It was #sarcasm lol

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

But, without power - how?"

I'm fairly happy that the people in care homes and government have more of an idea of their needs and options than a random bloke that spends all day posting on a swingers forum but that's only my opinion.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

It was #sarcasm lol"

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

But, without power - how?"

How do they get on today should they have a power cut?

Setting up alternative sources of power should there be a cut to service in such places is going to cost a fortune and that is without the endless maintenance and safety certs they will need every year.

Sometimes the only option is to ride out the issue, as will the majority of people here will do.

Personally, if we get to a point of disruption and I need power, for work, food, heat etc. I will use the already published locations and timings to be in another area during my areas cut, such as a hotel or restaurant, coffee shop.

And maybe that is the answer for care homes, buddy up with a care home outside of their area and coach them over when a cut is due.

Just an alternative view / solution

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Shame people don’t read before piling in with misinformed replies.

I already said, visiting six Care Homes in my area, not one has a general or 2022 plan for loss of power, although one is looking at using an EV to power just the boiler.

Individually, during a power cut, a larger container based generator will be connected to the local substation to provide or the electricity company would directly connect generation to the building.

At a time when many are affected and availability of generators is limited, they'll be left to fend for themselves - as was the case with COVID.

Do you really want to entrust the lives of your relatives in this government?

We trusted them with the economy 4 weeks ago!! We trusted them with COVID 2 years ago in Care Homes.

There is no plan, according to Truss they'd be no rationing, reduced usage or Blackouts.

That's soon changed..

So blindly they head into Winter not knowing what may hit them.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

People have been drawn into a false sense of security.

Hence the responses here, why Care Homes, Supermarkets, Councils, businesses have made no plans.

They truly believe in 2022, we don't have power cuts.

Oh dear..

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

So your suggestion, is that everyone spend thousands or tens of thousands on something they may or may not need. If you have relatives in a care home I take it you'll be helping fund these generators and their annual maintenance and running costs. That's not how the world works my friend it's nice you have a hobby though.

It's possible but fairly unlikely there will be any more than normal unplanned outages which as already been stated people have to deal with.

Advising people to be prepared is one thing, running multiple scaremongering and conspiracy threads wasn't helpful to folk during COVID and isn't really helpful now and it's highly unlikely the owners of care homes are tuned into a swingers forum to find out what to do in an emergency

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

No, £400 on a small generator that can maintain just the boiler - nothing more.

Small price to pay to keep our old dears warm and alive considering the £1000's they charge, per resident, per week.. no income from dead residents!!

over a year ago

Anybody who has life critical equipment has already been contacted and offered a generator in case of rolling power cuts.

Anybody who has a severe disability can contact Irenegy supplier and the same will happen.

We have already been contacted about this.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"No, £400 on a small generator that can maintain just the boiler - nothing more.

Small price to pay to keep our old dears warm and alive considering the £1000's they charge, per resident, per week.. no income from dead residents!!"

You obviously know little of regulatory requirements of care homes. £400 wouldn't pay to compete the paperwork lol

By *oldswarriorMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"No, £400 on a small generator that can maintain just the boiler - nothing more.

Small price to pay to keep our old dears warm and alive considering the £1000's they charge, per resident, per week.. no income from dead residents!!"

£400 will buy you a cheap chinese generator.

Then it will require to be housed in an external area as it produces exhaust fumes. It will require its own breaker with manual switch gear. An indipendant supply to the boiler.

Who will service and supply fuel for these generators?

Your talking thousands for a simple generator set up.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 27/10/22 23:23:18]

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

It's too late now anyway..

Rocking Horse Sh!t getting hold of anything decent and branded..

Let em freeze...

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"It's too late now anyway..

Let em freeze..."

Let em freeze ? What sort of attitude is that to the elderly and infirm.

Perhaps this is a true reflection of the attention seeking posts

over a year ago

Let em freeze...

"

Well you have pretty much just said the same thing on a thread about people of benefits and made a lot of assumptions. So what's the difference?

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Let em freeze...

Well you have pretty much just said the same thing on a thread about people of benefits and made a lot of assumptions. So what's the difference? "

You obviously didn't read my post on the other thread or you chose to ignore what you can't slag off. Maybe take the time to read and digest all of it including the bit where I said those in despair should get all the help they need

Still ....

over a year ago

Let em freeze...

Well you have pretty much just said the same thing on a thread about people of benefits and made a lot of assumptions. So what's the difference?

You obviously didn't read my post on the other thread or you chose to ignore what you can't slag off. Maybe take the time to read and digest all of it including the bit where I said those in despair should get all the help they need

Still ...."

Oh I absolutely did and so did everyone else i think it's very clear that you only think certain people should be able to live in a decent manner.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"

Oh I absolutely did and so did everyone else i think it's very clear that you only think certain people should be able to live in a decent manner. "

That may be you opinion of what I said but you're wrong.

My opinion is that hard working people should be rewarded.

What's you input on " let em freeze" ?

over a year ago

"

Oh I absolutely did and so did everyone else i think it's very clear that you only think certain people should be able to live in a decent manner.

That may be you opinion of what I said but you're wrong.

My opinion is that hard working people should be rewarded.

What's you input on " let em freeze" ?"

Because I have read his previous posts I know he is being sarcastic.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Let em freeze"..

My local Council's response. We are making no plans, council run care homes tell me "unless the council tells us to plan, then no plans are being made".

There's no plan for 3 hour cuts, let alone anything unplanned for longer.

So, it's "let em freeze" - "Bodies piled up on the streets" ring any bells?

As for shitty Chinese Generators find me one made anywhere else. I have bought, used and sold numerous cheap Generators in my time. Only two failed, my fault as I let the fuel turn stale. But on the whole, reliable and easy to use and would save lives in an emergency.

Given the choice, hyperthermia or someone putting a cheapo shitty Chinese Generator in place - I know my choice.

As for expensive switching, no, in an emergency just put a plug on the supply cable and run a cable to the car park.

Then again, seeing elderly people warm and cosy doesn't make good news footage, like it did with those freezing for weeks after Alwen.

£65 for a 125amp Single Phase manual changeover switch, hardly £1000's as just bought one myself.

Another conspiracy to control us, just like COVID.

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

""Let em freeze"..

My local Council's response. We are making no plans, council run care homes tell me "unless the council tells us to plan, then no plans are being made".

As for shitty Chinese Generators find me one made anywhere else. I have bought, used and sold numerous cheap Generators in my time. Only two failed, my fault as I let the fuel turn stale. But on the whole, reliable and easy to use and would save lives in an emergency.

Given the choice, hyperthermia or someone putting a cheapo shitty Chinese Generator in place - I know my choice.

As for expensive switching, no, in an emergency just put a plug on the supply cable and run a cable to the car park.

Then again, seeing elderly people warm and cosy doesn't make good news footage, like it did with those freezing for weeks after Alwen.

£65 for a 125amp Single Phase manual changeover switch, hardly £1000's as just bought one myself.

Another conspiracy to control us, just like COVID."

Yes just like the power cuts we are not going to have.

over a year ago

""Let em freeze"..

Another conspiracy to control us, just like COVID."

Covid is a conspiracy theory? Gosh.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

All conspiracy.

No power cuts, its not happening. Stop the panic. No rationing, no blackouts.

Media again.. bastads

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

Fool me once blah blah blah

Fool me twice blah blah blah

Some folk never learn.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

I'd wait until March before making those kinda claims.

It may just just be prove true.

Strangely, yesterday, Ireland was pushing 3.3% of UK's electricity over to us.

Curious where it went after arriving here?

Any guesses?

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

Warning Signs

Don’t ignore the warning signs

They will not flash red

Hold yourself firmly, lest the floor should crumble away below you.

Remember the lessons learned through the hard times

Feel the constriction in your chest,

It’s screaming at you to avoid this,

At the risk of regressing to the dark times

They are all around you, though you do not notice them

They Poke and nudge you, but you send the sensations to the back of the queue

They will only be apparent when it’s all too late.

Don’t ignore these warning sings

They do not blare sirens.

- Shamini Shami - 2016

By *hropshireGentMan
over a year ago

shropshire

"Warning Signs

They will not flash red

- Shamini Shami - 2016"

Are you ok?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

""Let em freeze"..

Another conspiracy to control us, just like COVID.

Covid is a conspiracy theory? Gosh."

Yup..

They are all around us..

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

"Nobody died from COVID, it was their underlying conditions that killed them. The figures are inflated due to our ageing population so there would be a ramp in natural deaths in the UK."

Conspiracy? - this was the chat I had with a council worker last night at a public EV charger.

By *rFunBoy OP   Man
over a year ago

Longridge

He then went on to claim that during planned outages, Care Homes would not be affected as they are on a different supplies to the houses surrounding them. So their lights will remain on.

My father used to say "if you can't beat them, you should join them".

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"Warning Signs

They will not flash red

- Shamini Shami - 2016

Are you ok? "

Post new Message to Thread