Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Death of David Trimble

Jump to newest

By *ayturners turn hay OP   Man
over a year ago

Wellingborugh

Sad to read of the death of David Trimble , one of the architects of the NI peace process .

A colleague of his was shot dead and other politicians witnessed horrendous acts of violence and murder. Arlene Fosters father was seriously injured and the family were forced to move from their farm .

Whilst it is good that the troubles ended , I am sure many people must question whether we should have submitted to horrendous acts of violence by the IRA.

The IRA were facing heavy defeat and had we taken firmer action against them we could probably have finished them off . They only came to the negotiating table because they realized it was a battle that they would never win . Maybe Tony Blair should have been a lo firmer in his actions .

Residents in NI suffered horrendously because of the IRA . Their members were happy to murder and main innocent people and inflict untold economic damage . Police and prison officers going about lawful duties had to check under their cars for booby traps every time they went out , in addition to living in constant fear . Building contractors were murdered simply for undertaking work on behalf of the police authorities . Garage owners had to move premises for fear of drive by attacks and peoples social lives were destroyed . What type of person is prepared to plant a bomb in a shopping centre full of ordinary working people . All these acts of violence should repulse any ordinary person . When considering all these acts the IRA can only be described as a truly repulsive organisation will a callous regard for human life . Every day of the week thy were involved in actions designed to kill maim or injure innocent people .

If Tony Blair has waited a little longer we could have defeated the IRA and not have freed terrorists to roam the streets .

Sadly this was not to be a case . At least David Trimble was an architect of the solution , even if it was the wrong one .

He was firmly in favour of ripping up the NI Protocol. In addition to being a committed Brexiteer he had a first class law degree .

Politics in Northern Ireland will deeply miss him

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

luckily he admitted his mistakes of supporting and protecting unionist loyalist terrorist paramilitaries before his demise.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

David Trimble was a brave man who put petty sectarianism aside in order to achieve the prize of peace ..

Op, there were atrocities and murderous acts on both sides which well you know and tbh using Trimble's death as an excuse to once more paint a one sided view is not worthy of the man's name..

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"David Trimble was a brave man who put petty sectarianism aside in order to achieve the prize of peace ..

Op, there were atrocities and murderous acts on both sides which well you know and tbh using Trimble's death as an excuse to once more paint a one sided view is not worthy of the man's name.."

I think the surprising thing is that I was surprised that Hays would do that.

over a year ago

Wellingborugh

"David Trimble was a brave man who put petty sectarianism aside in order to achieve the prize of peace ..

Op, there were atrocities and murderous acts on both sides which well you know and tbh using Trimble's death as an excuse to once more paint a one sided view is not worthy of the man's name.."

Maybe you need to analyse the atrocities committed . Only one organisation went out every day of the week with the intention of murdering innocent people. A simple analysis of the statistics would show that .

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Op, there were atrocities and murderous acts on both sides which well you know and tbh using Trimble's death as an excuse to once more paint a one sided view is not worthy of the man's name..

I think the surprising thing is that I was surprised that Hays would do that."

For someone whom in several of his profiles claims to have been born there he certainly is ignorant of the facts of those bad days..

Or it's just pat being pat being pat etc etc..

over a year ago

Wellingborugh

I think the surprising thing is that I was surprised that Hays would do that.

For someone whom in several of his profiles claims to have been born there he certainly is ignorant of the facts of those bad days..

Or it's just pat being pat being pat etc etc.."

. How many bombs were planted in NI or the UK by any organisation apart from the IRA . ?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 30/07/22 18:59:41]

over a year ago

Define “defeat”

over a year ago

How many bombs were planted in the Republic of Ireland by others other than the UVF, LVF etc. how many were in collusion with the RUC etc! War has two sides and both sides have their story. Thankfully it’s nearly 30 years ago. However I will agree that Trimble was a brave man who as another poster said out secterianism aside to broker a great peace than many could have dreamt of. Am I glad that I no longer have to go Through an army check point as I go to work, yes! Am I glad I don’t fear that my family will be maimed or killed as they go about their life, yes! Am I hopeful for the future, unfortunately not. The rise of nationalism worldwide is concerning

Post new Message to Thread