Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Commonwealth games opening

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

What a fantastic event. Well done to all. I loved the expression of diversity and inclusion. And what a terrific example of the positive legacy from the British Empire. The global influence of the language, Christianity, education, science, medicine. Amazing to see all these nations taking part. The ‘friendly’ games indeed.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It was fantastic. I was there. A once in a lifetime opportunity

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

I wasn't sure how it would be but enjoyed it

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Peaky Blinders - say no more!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I thought the traffic jam was particularly representative of the nearby area.

It was good though love it

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Really enjoyed it all..

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Fantastic diversity and some pretty impressive speeches. Well done Birmingham for a great show.

OP - What do you mean by global influence of Christianity?

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Fantastic diversity and some pretty impressive speeches. Well done Birmingham for a great show.

OP - What do you mean by global influence of Christianity? "

I’m not overly religious and certainly avoid anyone that makes an issue of it but I think in many ways it’s been a force for good. Work of early missionaries. Many of the good ones being Irish.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Fantastic diversity and some pretty impressive speeches. Well done Birmingham for a great show.

I’m not overly religious and certainly avoid anyone that makes an issue of it but I think in many ways it’s been a force for good. Work of early missionaries. Many of the good ones being Irish."

Arguably responsible for more death, destruction and war than anything else outside capitalism too.

(for the record I believe faith is remarkable and awesome. when it becomes institutionalised into religion, then it can be corrupted by man and used to perform evil acts)

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I’m not overly religious and certainly avoid anyone that makes an issue of it but I think in many ways it’s been a force for good. Work of early missionaries. Many of the good ones being Irish.

Arguably responsible for more death, destruction and war than anything else outside capitalism too.

(for the record I believe faith is remarkable and awesome. when it becomes institutionalised into religion, then it can be corrupted by man and used to perform evil acts)"

Not a Sunday regular then I take it?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

I’m not overly religious and certainly avoid anyone that makes an issue of it but I think in many ways it’s been a force for good. Work of early missionaries. Many of the good ones being Irish."

Yes I thought so.

The imposition of our values and if you don’t like it we either kill you or you will join us by force.

I’ve nothing against anyones faith all power to your beliefs if they are harmless, but the crimes of our religious leaders on the world population isn’t something to be proud of.

Education yes, democracy yes, industrialisation I’m not convinced that was so great for some of the beautiful places and lifestyles we ruined.

Religion definitely no. It’s just another method of inducing fear and therefore control.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"What a fantastic event. Well done to all. I loved the expression of diversity and inclusion. And what a terrific example of the positive legacy from the British Empire. The global influence of the language, Christianity, education, science, medicine. Amazing to see all these nations taking part. The ‘friendly’ games indeed."

Even though there are foreigners involved?

Are you turning over a new leaf?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What a fantastic event. Well done to all. I loved the expression of diversity and inclusion. And what a terrific example of the positive legacy from the British Empire. The global influence of the language, Christianity, education, science, medicine. Amazing to see all these nations taking part. The ‘friendly’ games indeed."

It helps when you apologise for treating most of them like 2nd class citizens…

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"What a fantastic event. Well done to all. I loved the expression of diversity and inclusion. And what a terrific example of the positive legacy from the British Empire. The global influence of the language, Christianity, education, science, medicine. Amazing to see all these nations taking part. The ‘friendly’ games indeed.

It helps when you apologise for treating most of them like 2nd class citizens… "

Yawn. Move on fella

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"What a fantastic event. Well done to all. I loved the expression of diversity and inclusion. And what a terrific example of the positive legacy from the British Empire. The global influence of the language, Christianity, education, science, medicine. Amazing to see all these nations taking part. The ‘friendly’ games indeed.

It helps when you apologise for treating most of them like 2nd class citizens…

Yawn. Move on fella "

Just jivin'

I like the new you.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Are you turning over a new leaf?"

Where on earth have you got the idea from that I don’t like foreigners?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

What’s really disgraceful is all these countries and their officials have come here to celebrate a united front against injustice and intolerance in the world through sport and yet Priti Patel is sounding them out during the games as possible dumping grounds for our asylum seekers.

What a scumbag of a country we are becoming under these racist right wingers who have taken over the Tory party.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Where on earth have you got the idea from that I don’t like foreigners? "

You post an awful lot about not liking foreigners, being worried about foreigners, however you wish to phrase it.

By *topthepressMan
over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Is anyone really bothered about the commonwealth games ? I think not not even the athletes it seems many have pulled out with injuries or so they say they don't want to take part

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

You post an awful lot about not liking foreigners, being worried about foreigners, however you wish to phrase it."

How dare you! Please don’t make stuff up.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"What’s really disgraceful is all these countries and their officials have come here to celebrate a united front against injustice and intolerance in the world through sport and yet Priti Patel is sounding them out during the games as possible dumping grounds for our asylum seekers.

What a scumbag of a country we are becoming under these racist right wingers who have taken over the Tory party. "

You are right, that is a disgusting thing to do. I hope she gets short thrift and is told where to go. Don’t judge the country based on that though. I like seeing the support athletes give each other. Hope for the future?

over a year ago

"What’s really disgraceful is all these countries and their officials have come here to celebrate a united front against injustice and intolerance in the world through sport and yet Priti Patel is sounding them out during the games as possible dumping grounds for our asylum seekers.

What a scumbag of a country we are becoming under these racist right wingers who have taken over the Tory party.

You are right, that is a disgusting thing to do. I hope she gets short thrift and is told where to go. Don’t judge the country based on that though. I like seeing the support athletes give each other. Hope for the future? "

It is great seeing how these commonwealth nations have influenced and improved our culture

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Yes I thought so.

The imposition of our values and if you don’t like it we either kill you or you will join us by force.

I’ve nothing against anyones faith all power to your beliefs if they are harmless, but the crimes of our religious leaders on the world population isn’t something to be proud of.

Education yes, democracy yes, industrialisation I’m not convinced that was so great for some of the beautiful places and lifestyles we ruined.

Religion definitely no. It’s just another method of inducing fear and therefore control.

"

I get where you are coming from but the early missionaries weren’t backed by force.

I’ve always liked the line in an early Dylan song, something like - how can you trust a man that takes a stand with a gun & bible in his hand.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

You are right, that is a disgusting thing to do. I hope she gets short thrift and is told where to go. Don’t judge the country based on that though. I like seeing the support athletes give each other. Hope for the future?

It is great seeing how these commonwealth nations have influenced and improved our culture "

Generations, centuries even of being a global influencer and in many cases a force for good has helped the UK become an outward looking well rounded cosmopolitan inclusive nation. One much admired and cherished by many. As proven over time, a tolerant and welcoming place for those in need. We have a great deal to be proud of even if some here only ever look at the negative.

over a year ago

It is great seeing how these commonwealth nations have influenced and improved our culture

Generations, centuries even of being a global influencer and in many cases a force for good has helped the UK become an outward looking well rounded cosmopolitan inclusive nation. One much admired and cherished by many. As proven over time, a tolerant and welcoming place for those in need. We have a great deal to be proud of even if some here only ever look at the negative."

It is great to see how these ‘immigrants’ have improved the country and its people

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

Generations, centuries even of being a global influencer and in many cases a force for good has helped the UK become an outward looking well rounded cosmopolitan inclusive nation. One much admired and cherished by many. As proven over time, a tolerant and welcoming place for those in need. We have a great deal to be proud of even if some here only ever look at the negative.

It is great to see how these ‘immigrants’ have improved the country and its people "

yes, the jerk chicken in birmingham is second to none

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

It is great to see how these ‘immigrants’ have improved the country and its people "

I assume they have carved out better lives for themselves. How have they improved the country?

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

It is great to see how these ‘immigrants’ have improved the country and its people

I assume they have carved out better lives for themselves. How have they improved the country? "

You have said this so many times and it goes down rabbit hole...

I think you are old enough to remember when a Sunday was basically another word for closed? You will also remember the veg that boiled to death, meat cooked to within an inch of carbon and fish unless battered was unheard of.

This country has welcomed nationalities from around the world that have changed our society into what we have today.

This is going to sound crazy to you, but the supermarkets opening on Sundays, stocking products from all over the world, home delivery, being local all came from the competition of South Asian immigrants who started their own businesses. I could go on, but you should get an understanding from the above.

Everything we have today is all of our cultures being mixed into our society, we are doing it together.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

I assume they have carved out better lives for themselves. How have they improved the country? "

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

The list goes on and is huge.

Shame our present government is blind to the benefits of immigration that have helped this country become so wealthy.

They want people to think immigrants are bad and pull up the draw bridge.

Seeing as the indigenous population is getting older not sure who’s going to pay the pensions of those so anti immigration.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I assume they have carved out better lives for themselves. How have they improved the country?

I think you are old enough to remember when a Sunday was basically another word for closed? You will also remember the veg that boiled to death, meat cooked to within an inch of carbon and fish unless battered was unheard of.

This country has welcomed nationalities from around the world that have changed our society into what we have today.

This is going to sound crazy to you, but the supermarkets opening on Sundays, stocking products from all over the world, home delivery, being local all came from the competition of South Asian immigrants who started their own businesses. I could go on, but you should get an understanding from the above.

Everything we have today is all of our cultures being mixed into our society, we are doing it together. "

You misjudge me and like others on here make assumptions. I have never said I am anti Immigration. I get a great thrill from seeing British athletes of all ethnic backgrounds competing and being together. It’s great.

I’ve never eaten food as you describe and there is a move back to a more traditional Sunday. Not all immigration is good though and surely we are free to question that?

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Everything we have today is all of our cultures being mixed into our society, we are doing it together.

You misjudge me and like others on here make assumptions. I have never said I am anti Immigration. I get a great thrill from seeing British athletes of all ethnic backgrounds competing and being together. It’s great.

I’ve never eaten food as you describe and there is a move back to a more traditional Sunday. Not all immigration is good though and surely we are free to question that? "

I don't know if I am misjudging you, only you know that.

If you didn't eat badly cooked food when you were a child compared to todays standards you must have been very lucky. Even the food shows back in the 60's / 70's and 80's were pretty bland.

You say there is a move back to a more traditional Sunday, by who? I can say with 100% confidence that people in this country would not accept the closed shops and lack of things to do.

You come across as wanting the more sedate traditional ways of life, a more simpler way of life. You talk of traveling to France and wanting to live there, I have been to a lot of France and know that they are very traditional outside of Paris, especially when it comes to closing bakeries. butchers etc in the week and Sundays are very traditional.

It is fine to want to live a life less busy, less confusing but that choice is yours and it is your choice not to accept the here and now, and it is not the fault of others that time hasn't stood still just for you.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I’ve never eaten food as you describe and there is a move back to a more traditional Sunday. Not all immigration is good though and surely we are free to question that?

If you didn't eat badly cooked food when you were a child compared to todays standards you must have been very lucky. Even the food shows back in the 60's / 70's and 80's were pretty bland.

You say there is a move back to a more traditional Sunday, by who? I can say with 100% confidence that people in this country would not accept the closed shops and lack of things to do.

You come across as wanting the more sedate traditional ways of life, a more simpler way of life. You talk of traveling to France and wanting to live there, I have been to a lot of France and know that they are very traditional outside of Paris, especially when it comes to closing bakeries. butchers etc in the week and Sundays are very traditional.

It is fine to want to live a life less busy, less confusing but that choice is yours and it is your choice not to accept the here and now, and it is not the fault of others that time hasn't stood still just for you. "

You have got me wrong. As much as I enjoy a good cookery show my parents would never have thought to watch such a thing. They learnt to cook during the war. They also learnt to grow their own veg. With that and weekly trips to the local farm shop, me and my five siblings all ate very well.

I enjoy banter with the family that own my local newsagents and we have many a debate about cricket. They are lovely people. I wound never be so rude as to think that time should stand still for me and not sure where that came from?

Home deliveries are a pain in the arse though, a modern day menace! Who the fuck orders something from Subway? Do we now have people that are unable or too lazy to make themselves a sandwich?

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

Shame our present government is blind to the benefits of immigration that have helped this country become so wealthy.

Seeing as the indigenous population is getting older not sure who’s going to pay the pensions of those so anti immigration. "

The country had a record level of immigration last year so clearly the government is not against it. Some immigrants are bad of course and we need to deter them from coming here. For every doctor, nurse, dentist, architect, scientist, brain surgeon, there will be a number of chancers, con men, villains. We saw just last week in Ireland of all places, three guys from Nigeria that conned old ladies from their savings.

Controlled immigration good. Uncontrolled immigration- should be a concern to all. Even other immigrants!

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

It is fine to want to live a life less busy, less confusing but that choice is yours and it is your choice not to accept the here and now, and it is not the fault of others that time hasn't stood still just for you.

You have got me wrong. As much as I enjoy a good cookery show my parents would never have thought to watch such a thing. They learnt to cook during the war. They also learnt to grow their own veg. With that and weekly trips to the local farm shop, me and my five siblings all ate very well.

I enjoy banter with the family that own my local newsagents and we have many a debate about cricket. They are lovely people. I wound never be so rude as to think that time should stand still for me and not sure where that came from?

Home deliveries are a pain in the arse though, a modern day menace! Who the fuck orders something from Subway? Do we now have people that are unable or too lazy to make themselves a sandwich? "

Culturally the country has changed through immigration, technology and the natural order of change amongst the younger generations, can you accept this as part of your society?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

Seeing as the indigenous population is getting older not sure who’s going to pay the pensions of those so anti immigration.

The country had a record level of immigration last year so clearly the government is not against it. Some immigrants are bad of course and we need to deter them from coming here. For every doctor, nurse, dentist, architect, scientist, brain surgeon, there will be a number of chancers, con men, villains. We saw just last week in Ireland of all places, three guys from Nigeria that conned old ladies from their savings.

Controlled immigration good. Uncontrolled immigration- should be a concern to all. Even other immigrants! "

So we should open an office in France then to help the migrants legally enter.

As we only reject around 3000 people a year and as most of those arrive by plane it would save all that money we are but I g in Rwanda.

It will also stop the smugglers as it’s not worth operating boats for 20 people a week which would be the number rejected.

Financial sense and workers to boot.

Sorted. As for they’re not all doctors you’re right but doctors don’t want to work in care homes or behind pub bars !

We need workers to pay for our society or maybe we just start culling old people. The rich first as we can use their cash now we’re in such a mess.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"So we should open an office in France then to help the migrants legally enter."

The problem here is it would require help from the French and we just took back our Sovereignty, we're not gonna ask Europe for help! We may demand it! but that's not gonna work out well is it LOL

(I think that asylum claims should be able to be made at any UK embassy though, regardless of the country it is in)

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"So we should open an office in France then to help the migrants legally enter.

The problem here is it would require help from the French and we just took back our Sovereignty, we're not gonna ask Europe for help! We may demand it! but that's not gonna work out well is it LOL

(I think that asylum claims should be able to be made at any UK embassy though, regardless of the country it is in)"

The French have border controls in dover as lots of people can now testify too so I’m sure they will be fine.

It’s all a load of exaggerated stuff like the comments of crime above. Boats full of criminals . No the guys who provide the boats are criminals.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Home deliveries are a pain in the arse though, a modern day menace! Who the fuck orders something from Subway? Do we now have people that are unable or too lazy to make themselves a sandwich?

Culturally the country has changed through immigration, technology and the natural order of change amongst the younger generations, can you accept this as part of your society?

"

Why wouldn’t I? And of course indeed I have.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

Controlled immigration good. Uncontrolled immigration- should be a concern to all. Even other immigrants! "

Have you or anyone else seen any official studies on how immigrants get on once they are accepted into the UK? I hear they contribute in taxes more than they take in benefits though only heard the quote and not seen the actual figures. Is it a constant that they always contribute more (every year). How many go on to commit serious crimes and is this taken into account. How many go onto lead a decent law abiding life. If these figures or reports are put out in a high profile way then it may help people's fears as I suspect it will show things in a positive way. Until some decent and regular proof is shown it is always open to false claims

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

Controlled immigration good. Uncontrolled immigration- should be a concern to all. Even other immigrants!

As we only reject around 3000 people a year and as most of those arrive by plane it would save all that money we are but I g in Rwanda.

It will also stop the smugglers as it’s not worth operating boats for 20 people a week which would be the number rejected.

Sorted. As for they’re not all doctors you’re right but doctors don’t want to work in care homes or behind pub bars !

We need workers to pay for our society or maybe we just start culling old people. The rich first as we can use their cash now we’re in such a mess. "

How would that work? If I’m a young guy from sub Saharan Africa and I rock up at an office in France without ID what happens?

I read a sad story the other day about the thousands that make the crossing from North Africa to Europe, thousands die each year by the way and they are treated like animals in Libya as one example. A young guy from Gambia said he wanted to go to England, become a professional footballer so he can get rich and send money to his family. How sad is that?

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

"thousands die each year by the way and they are treated like animals in Libya as one example. "

the same Libya that the UK conservative and unionist party government stoked a civil war in 2010, sent in special forces, collapsed the government and left a power vaccum which allowed criminal gangs to proliferate people trafficing from africa

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"thousands die each year by the way and they are treated like animals in Libya as one example.

the same Libya that the UK conservative and unionist party government stoked a civil war in 2010, sent in special forces, collapsed the government and left a power vaccum which allowed criminal gangs to proliferate people trafficing from africa"

Fuck me! Is there nothing that you can think to blame on the UK? Libya was a beautiful peaceful place of course, and of course there wasn’t a sl@ve trade from Africa to North Africa and Arabia for hundreds or even thousands of years?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

We need workers to pay for our society or maybe we just start culling old people. The rich first as we can use their cash now we’re in such a mess.

How would that work? If I’m a young guy from sub Saharan Africa and I rock up at an office in France without ID what happens?

I read a sad story the other day about the thousands that make the crossing from North Africa to Europe, thousands die each year by the way and they are treated like animals in Libya as one example. A young guy from Gambia said he wanted to go to England, become a professional footballer so he can get rich and send money to his family. How sad is that? "

Remember the government want to send all asylum seekers to Rwanda successful applicants or not. Cost hundreds of millions.

That strikes me as very cruel and simply uneconomic for the party of business. If the applicants could apply in a country nearby or even in mainland Europe then that’s much safer. Don’t you think?

As for how does it happen ?? The government official asks questions but doesn’t take any money like the people smugglers.

It’s all very civilised.

Yes Libya a mess since we attacked it with others to get rid of Gaddafi which has resulted in half the country falling under Muslim extremists, causing more refugees and asylum seekers.

We’re not very good at joining the dots in this country are we..

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Rwanda is indeed a ridiculous idea. One that I suspect will fail. A publicity stunt perhaps? It smells of A BJ great & simple idea. What about the poor lad stick in France from Africa with no ID?

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

Culture

Food

Business

Work

Scientific discoveries

Health care

Have you or anyone else seen any official studies on how immigrants get on once they are accepted into the UK? I hear they contribute in taxes more than they take in benefits though only heard the quote and not seen the actual figures. Is it a constant that they always contribute more (every year). How many go on to commit serious crimes and is this taken into account. How many go onto lead a decent law abiding life. If these figures or reports are put out in a high profile way then it may help people's fears as I suspect it will show things in a positive way. Until some decent and regular proof is shown it is always open to false claims"

There is data. Some academic and some official.

I would always suggest looking it up as nobody ever trusts links as they have to be from the press. I've been banned for posting ONS and BMJ ones.

"tax contribution of uk immigrants"

The results range from UCL, The Economist, The Migration Observatory, The (Government)Assets Publishing Service, The FT, the LSE, The Independent amongst others. Take your pick. The results are broadly similar (Migration Observatory seems most comprehensive and nuanced)

On average, immigrants contribute more financially than the native population. However, broken down, younger immigrants contribute more, EEA (EU) immigrants contribute more, older contribute less/negative due to time here and health and benefits receipt at the end, non-EEA contribute less/negative due to higher initial benefits (eg refugees are not allowed to work until asylum is granted) and are more likely to arrive with children.

There is less data on immigrant crime as it is generally broken down by ethnicity. As an aside, crime is more likely to be within any given community and the incidence of hate crime against religious or ethnic minorities has risen since 2016.

ONS data indicates that ethnic minorities have similar levels of criminality to the native population.

There is a 2013 Migration Observatory study that shows no association between the migrant population and violent crime levels.

What is therefore absolutely clear is that there is no information that associates violent crime with immigration. It's an assertion/assumption.

over a year ago

"

Have you or anyone else seen any official studies on how immigrants get on once they are accepted into the UK? I hear they contribute in taxes more than they take in benefits though only heard the quote and not seen the actual figures. Is it a constant that they always contribute more (every year). How many go on to commit serious crimes and is this taken into account. How many go onto lead a decent law abiding life. If these figures or reports are put out in a high profile way then it may help people's fears as I suspect it will show things in a positive way. Until some decent and regular proof is shown it is always open to false claims"

Pretty sure there are statistics available. But statistics conflating the taxes paid by skilled immigrants and refugees are usually misleading. Skilled immigrants by definition pay high taxes because as per rules you can give work visa only for high demand jobs for which a company is struggling to find people to fill in from within the country. A job that's hard to fill will obviously have higher salaries and hence high taxes. Plus they don't have unemployment problem. Hence skilled immigrants pay more taxes. Asylum seekers who get asylum granted on the other hand have much less employment rate compared to the national average and even the people who got jobs aren't in high paying ones.

As for crime, there are statistics based on ethnicity. They are indeed skewed towards minority ethnicities. But hard to say if they are foreigners or if they grew up here.

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"Rwanda is indeed a ridiculous idea. One that I suspect will fail. A publicity stunt perhaps? It smells of A BJ great & simple idea. What about the poor lad stick in France from Africa with no ID?"

Now you see here’s one of the best benefits .

As we know those asylum seekers who arrived on a plane but rejected are conveniently put back on a plane back to where they originally departed.

Now to the boat people which according to the statistics will have a final rejection rate of around 800-1400 people per year.

Let’s now take the backlog of asylum seekers at around 85000. We are not allowing them to work and haven’t filtered the rejections so we are incurring huge costs to accommodate.

If the asylum seekers had been processed before they got here we would only have 800-1500 to deal with.

So now we’ve cleared out the 85000 from the problem we can now securely house these few who as you say don’t have passports or refuse to say where they come from.

Now if the numbers of those being housed in secure units fell from 85000 to 1500 we have a lot of staff left over don’t we? Some and I mean a small number can focus on finding out who these non passport people are.

So the result is have s better chance to check if they are legitimate or not . If they are found to be non desirable they have a choice either go home to the country of their origin or stay locked up.

If they miraculously all refuse to declare where they are from and we can’t verify then we will have 56 years to reach the numbers housed today.

I can’t see them being keen to stay that long can you?

over a year ago

Just flicked on medal ceremony on tv

English guy won gold, but the national anthem not played, another song that I should know, but forget it’s name

Don’t fully follow commonwealths, but can someone explain to me why it’s not the national anthem?

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Just flicked on medal ceremony on tv

English guy won gold, but the national anthem not played, another song that I should know, but forget it’s name

Don’t fully follow commonwealths, but can someone explain to me why it’s not the national anthem? "

Because God doesn't exist (in the minds of the majority of the country) and the Queen doesn't need saving? she literally has the army guarding her.

One possible explanation

over a year ago

Don’t fully follow commonwealths, but can someone explain to me why it’s not the national anthem?

Because God doesn't exist (in the minds of the majority of the country) and the Queen doesn't need saving? she literally has the army guarding her.

One possible explanation"

I googled it

Supposedly it was voted for in 2010 and Jerusalem won with 52%, beating national anthem

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

Don’t fully follow commonwealths, but can someone explain to me why it’s not the national anthem? "

Flower of Scotland played when Scotland win a gold

Commonwealths are different in that Jerusalem is played for the anthem of England.

Different because you will notice when England national teams play in normal times (rugby, football etc) God save the Queen national anthem is played for England .

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

You post an awful lot about not liking foreigners, being worried about foreigners, however you wish to phrase it.

How dare you! Please don’t make stuff up. "

In fairness, since this faux outrage. You've started yet another thread insinuating that foreigners commit all the crimes.

What do you expect but people making fun of your ridiculous 1940s views?

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"

Have you or anyone else seen any official studies on how immigrants get on once they are accepted into the UK? I hear they contribute in taxes more than they take in benefits though only heard the quote and not seen the actual figures. Is it a constant that they always contribute more (every year). How many go on to commit serious crimes and is this taken into account. How many go onto lead a decent law abiding life. If these figures or reports are put out in a high profile way then it may help people's fears as I suspect it will show things in a positive way. Until some decent and regular proof is shown it is always open to false claims

Pretty sure there are statistics available. But statistics conflating the taxes paid by skilled immigrants and refugees are usually misleading. Skilled immigrants by definition pay high taxes because as per rules you can give work visa only for high demand jobs for which a company is struggling to find people to fill in from within the country. A job that's hard to fill will obviously have higher salaries and hence high taxes. Plus they don't have unemployment problem. Hence skilled immigrants pay more taxes. Asylum seekers who get asylum granted on the other hand have much less employment rate compared to the national average and even the people who got jobs aren't in high paying ones.

As for crime, there are statistics based on ethnicity. They are indeed skewed towards minority ethnicities. But hard to say if they are foreigners or if they grew up here."

Thank you. It seems to me these need to be more widely known as would help understand the situation. It does seem logical that the skilled immigrants contribute more given their higher wages where asylum seekers contribute less or even negative due to the initial system and when they do go to work it is generally less pay and therefore tax. This is not their fault though, it's just how it is

By *ayturners turn hayMan
over a year ago

Wellingborugh

One possible explanation"

. I think you wil find that God does exist for the majority of the population of the UK. A lot of people might not go to church , however we are still a Christian country and a lot of people have Christian beliefs .

The National Anthem is a mark of respect for both the country and the Queen

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

One possible explanation. I think you wil find that God does exist for the majority of the population of the UK. A lot of people might not go to church , however we are still a Christian country and a lot of people have Christian beliefs .

The National Anthem is a mark of respect for both the country and the Queen "

Latest information on the subject says that those who believe in the christian faith (regardless of denomination or if they actually attend church or not) now make up less than 50% of the country.

We are now a Non-Christian country by populace if not by institution.

in my opinion the national anthem is archaic and should be updated to represent the country better.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

In fairness, since this faux outrage. You've started yet another thread insinuating that foreigners commit all the crimes.

What do you expect but people making fun of your ridiculous 1940s views?"

Where have I ever stated that foreigners commit all the crimes? Please don’t make stuff up.

If I said that it is overwhelmingly white English males, and some females ( ringleaders of course) that roll out of Spoons after closing, pissed up, loud & looking for a fight. Or that football violence in Europe is almost exclusively white males, that would be ok?

If I suggest that a correlation of high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England , that makes me a xenophobic racist? How strange.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Where have I ever stated that foreigners commit all the crimes? Please don’t make stuff up.

If I said that it is overwhelmingly white English males, and some females ( ringleaders of course) that roll out of Spoons after closing, pissed up, loud & looking for a fight. Or that football violence in Europe is almost exclusively white males, that would be ok?

If I suggest that a correlation of high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England , that makes me a xenophobic racist? How strange."

that and the endless litany of racist garbage that you keep posting.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

If I suggest that a correlation of high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England , that makes me a xenophobic racist? How strange.

that and the endless litany of racist garbage that you keep posting. "

Please point out one single racist comment?

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Please point out one single racist comment? "

just click on your green arrow dude

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

just click on your green arrow dude "

I abhor racism in any form. Please give me one example rather than make an erroneous offensive claim

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

If I suggest that a correlation of high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England , that makes me a xenophobic racist? How strange."

From one of your other threads about foreigners.

"When you hear of crimes these days that are so ghastly, you just know that in almost every case it involves foreigners."

Why do you post all this stuff expressing worry and dislike of foreigners, then pull a shaggy "It wasn't me", Just seems pointless. We can all read your posts, so why say these things if you're going to pretend you didn't say them.

Anyway, say what you like, I support your right to express yourself, but don't expect people not to make fun of your ridiculous views on foreigners.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I abhor racism in any form. Please give me one example rather than make an erroneous offensive claim"

You asked for an example...

As been mentioned a number of times, the language you use and the way you suggest your points leans towards a character we have encountered at some point. The person who suggests it is all the foreigners fault, looking you directly in the eye to read your reaction, too scared to come out and say what they really think, yet wanting an ally they can make snide comments to.

To substantiate the above example, you use flakey stats and stories, such as:

"high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England".

This town is Boston, looking for your fact I found an article from 2016 that mentions nothing of immigration but does mention 2 deaths. Due to Boston's low population and how the stats are measured per 10000, it became statistically the town with the most murders per capita. It didn't last long and it goes to show how stats don't often show the real picture, maybe that is how you also appear, when walking to the edge of fact with a loaded stat that does not appear to be offered in a principled way.

You asked and I hope this answers your question?

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Can I please question your comment on ‘1940s views’. Neither of us were around then yet you seem to suggest or assume that there was something wrong with views in the 40s. My parents spent the first five years fearing for their lives. They spent the rest of that decade thankful for their lives and getting on with it. Little time for ‘views’ good or bad. My father And his family were also mourning the loss of he eldest brother, killed in Boulogne.

You like to assume my comments are racist or xenophobic. I would suggest that you have a strange understanding of such things.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I abhor racism in any form. Please give me one example rather than make an erroneous offensive claim

As been mentioned a number of times, the language you use and the way you suggest your points leans towards a character we have encountered at some point. The person who suggests it is all the foreigners fault, looking you directly in the eye to read your reaction, too scared to come out and say what they really think, yet wanting an ally they can make snide comments to.

"high levels of uncontrolled immigration in a sleepy market town that has been transformed to the murder capital of England".

This town is Boston, looking for your fact I found an article from 2016 that mentions nothing of immigration but does mention 2 deaths. Due to Boston's low population and how the stats are measured per 10000, it became statistically the town with the most murders per capita. It didn't last long and it goes to show how stats don't often show the real picture, maybe that is how you also appear, when walking to the edge of fact with a loaded stat that does not appear to be offered in a principled way.

"

I have never suggested that anything is all the fault of foreigners. Jesus! So much selective reading from a few on here.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I have never suggested that anything is all the fault of foreigners. Jesus! So much selective reading from a few on here."

"When you hear of crimes these days that are so ghastly, you just know that in almost every case it involves foreigners."

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I have never suggested that anything is all the fault of foreigners. Jesus! So much selective reading from a few on here."

Do you think you are not communicating effectively, could this be the problem many seem to be "selective reading" of your posts and misinterpreting what you are trying to say? From you as another example you have asked for:

"We saw a tragic example just the other day of a nine year old girl stabbed to death. When you hear of crimes these days that are so ghastly, you just know that in almost every case it involves foreigners".

You have stated that almost every case involves foreigners, there is no mention of any name but the victim in the news reports or police reports. The victim is named and I'm thinking this how you got to foreigner, was it?

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I have never suggested that anything is all the fault of foreigners. Jesus! So much selective reading from a few on here.

Do you think you are not communicating effectively, could this be the problem many seem to be "selective reading" of your posts and misinterpreting what you are trying to say? From you as another example you have asked for:

"We saw a tragic example just the other day of a nine year old girl stabbed to death. When you hear of crimes these days that are so ghastly, you just know that in almost every case it involves foreigners".

You have stated that almost every case involves foreigners, there is no mention of any name but the victim in the news reports or police reports. The victim is named and I'm thinking this how you got to foreigner, was it?

"

if you dig around Boston there are a lot of articles which involve Eastern European names. Both as the suspects and the victims. If you have links to Boston I can see why you'd be taking a certain view. Although noone seems to be taking the angle of "with a Anglo Saxon name, I'm probably safe".

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"When you hear of crimes these days that are so ghastly, you just know that in almost every case it involves foreigners.""

An observation. You may even find that many foreigners make the same observation?

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"

No, it would be wrong to make an assumption from one case alone. I can’t image the horror the family are going through and my heart ( yes I do have one) goes out to them. Let’s wait and see.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

An observation. You may even find that many foreigners make the same observation? "

This observation is the definition of xenophobic.

I don't know why you have a problem with this word which describes your prejudice against foreigners. It's just a word.

The real problem is that a lot of people have these views about foreigners, not the word that's used.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

An observation. You may even find that many foreigners make the same observation?

I don't know why you have a problem with this word which describes your prejudice against foreigners. It's just a word.

The real problem is that a lot of people have these views about foreigners, not the word that's used.

"

I don’t have and have never expressed any prejudice to anyone. I have made a prejudicial stereotypical comment aimed at Spurs fans on another post. Forgive me, it’s the bad boy in me.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I don’t have and have never expressed any prejudice to anyone. I have made a prejudicial stereotypical comment aimed at Spurs fans on another post. Forgive me, it’s the bad boy in me. "

You do know that we can scroll up and see your other posts?

I'll quote you again.

Is your argument that you didn't say this?

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I don’t have and have never expressed any prejudice to anyone. I have made a prejudicial stereotypical comment aimed at Spurs fans on another post. Forgive me, it’s the bad boy in me.

I'll quote you again.

Is your argument that you didn't say this?"

Of course not. Why have you taken such offence? We do live in an odd world where an increasing number of people - mainly well off liberal elites take offence or feel an insult when there is nothing of the sort. Once on their high horse they become Unable to see any reason or accept that others have views that differ to theirs.

I blame the internet.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I'll quote you again.

Of course not. Why have you taken such offence? We do live in an odd world where an increasing number of people - mainly well off liberal elites take offence or feel an insult when there is nothing of the sort. Once on their high horse they become Unable to see any reason or accept that others have views that differ to theirs.

I blame the internet. "

Why do you think I've taken offence?

Calling out your xenophobic remarks doesn't mean I've taken offence.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

Calling out your xenophobic remarks doesn't mean I've taken offence. "

They are not xenophobic. For some reason you have assumed such and I’m thinking you are not of a mind to think it through or change your view. It would be a fun debate over a friendly pint.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

They are not xenophobic. For some reason you have assumed such and I’m thinking you are not of a mind to think it through or change your view. It would be a fun debate over a friendly pint. "

I'll be honest, listening to you trying to convince people that your xenophobic comments aren't xenophobic over a pint, doesn't sound like much craic to me.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I don’t have and have never expressed any prejudice to anyone. I have made a prejudicial stereotypical comment aimed at Spurs fans on another post. Forgive me, it’s the bad boy in me. "

I personally don't know if your comments are prejudiced or not but it may help if there was evidence to your claim about foreigners and crime. I learnt yesterday that although some figures are kept on tax issues of immigrants the crime figures are more ethnic group based. This makes it hard to know the true scale of crimes committed by foreigners. It may be deliberate to not keep specific records but maybe not. If you had some evidence then to me it's not prejudiced. Some may disagree if figures show foreigners commit more crime and say it should not be highlighted or discussed but that's another topic.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I'll be honest, listening to you trying to convince people that your xenophobic comments aren't xenophobic over a pint, doesn't sound like much craic to me."

Only way I can see it being proven to not being xenophobic is to prove that over 90% of the top 10% most violent knife crime is committed by foreigners.

If you can't do that then it is Xenophobic.

over a year ago

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

They are not xenophobic. For some reason you have assumed such and I’m thinking you are not of a mind to think it through or change your view. It would be a fun debate over a friendly pint. "

Definitely lonely

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

They are not xenophobic. For some reason you have assumed such and I’m thinking you are not of a mind to think it through or change your view. It would be a fun debate over a friendly pint.

Definitely lonely "

I’ll pay? A mid strength beer only mind you. No fancy expensive stuff. And certainly no fancy foreign lager!

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

I'll be honest, listening to you trying to convince people that your xenophobic comments aren't xenophobic over a pint, doesn't sound like much craic to me."

Probably a good call. A grown up discussion requires give & take.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"I'll be honest, listening to you trying to convince people that your xenophobic comments aren't xenophobic over a pint, doesn't sound like much craic to me.

Only way I can see it being proven to not being xenophobic is to prove that over 90% of the top 10% most violent knife crime is committed by foreigners.

If you can't do that then it is Xenophobic."

That’s an interesting formula.

over a year ago

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

Definitely lonely

I’ll pay? A mid strength beer only mind you. No fancy expensive stuff. And certainly no fancy foreign lager! "

I think your used to drinking on your own

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I will go back to my view the OP isn't xenophobic per se, but has had his fear stoked up by the media and selective reporting.

Feelings often trump facts. Partly because we believ our feelings are built on facts whereas we haven't stopped to see if we have all the facts and data.

It's a trap we all fall into.

The question is how much do we wish to engage with understanding data, and how much do we stick with cherry picking / being force feed cherries.

I'd take that pint if you also want to talk about how to challenge data being presented in the media

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

Definitely lonely

I’ll pay? A mid strength beer only mind you. No fancy expensive stuff. And certainly no fancy foreign lager!

I think your used to drinking on your own "

Ouch!

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Some interesting points and great to see a well thought out post. Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not something I ‘fear’, simply an observation.

I guess it could be a result of media reports although contrary to what many on here assume, I’m or a reader of the Daily Mail.

You have given me food for thought. Thanks again.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Some interesting points and great to see a well thought out post. Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not something I ‘fear’, simply an observation.

I guess it could be a result of media reports although contrary to what many on here assume, I’m or a reader of the Daily Mail.

You have given me food for thought. Thanks again."

Is your insistence that it isn't xenophobic because you mistakenly think xenophobia is ONLY about a fear of foreigners?

Xenophobia (noun)

dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

Your comments without proof are VERY prejudicial.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Some interesting points and great to see a well thought out post. Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not something I ‘fear’, simply an observation.

You have given me food for thought. Thanks again.

Is your insistence that it isn't xenophobic because you mistakenly think xenophobia is ONLY about a fear of foreigners?

Xenophobia (noun)

dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

Your comments without proof are VERY prejudicial."

I disagree.

over a year ago

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

Definitely lonely

Ouch! "

Just an observation

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I personally don't know if your comments are prejudiced or not but it may help if there was evidence to your claim about foreigners and crime. I learnt yesterday that although some figures are kept on tax issues of immigrants the crime figures are more ethnic group based. This makes it hard to know the true scale of crimes committed by foreigners. It may be deliberate to not keep specific records but maybe not. If you had some evidence then to me it's not prejudiced. Some may disagree if figures show foreigners commit more crime and say it should not be highlighted or discussed but that's another topic. "

Some really interesting points thanks. I often wonder what people of colour in the UK make of white people discussing racism, possibly a mixture of irritation and hilarity with much eye rolling involved. I perfectly accept that as a white guy in a predominantly white society I am in no position to comment. I have had many a lengthy discussion with people of all ethnicities and it’s been fascinating. I worked in a multi culti office in Luton for eight years and met many lovely people. One woman from Eritrea who I keep in contact with, purely platonic you understand, she set the tone and culture of the office. I would say she is / was the most inspiring human being I have ever met.

I had to investigate a complaint from two Polish workers against a Bangladeshi as he called them “fucking Poles”. I had to investigate ‘kill Muslims’ written on pallets in the warehouse. Turns out it was the guy that made the complaint that was doing it.

I do not have a prejudice bone in my body, I have never met anyone racist or xenophobic. I would imagine them to be unsavoury characters and best avoided.

Thanks again.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

I'll quote you again.

I blame the internet.

Definitely lonely

Ouch!

Just an observation "

Touché

By *asyukMan
over a year ago

West London

"

As for crime, there are statistics based on ethnicity. They are indeed skewed towards minority ethnicities. But hard to say if they are foreigners or if they grew up here.

Thank you. It seems to me these need to be more widely known as would help understand the situation. It does seem logical that the skilled immigrants contribute more given their higher wages where asylum seekers contribute less or even negative due to the initial system and when they do go to work it is generally less pay and therefore tax. This is not their fault though, it's just how it is"

It is not correct to state that non EEA migrants are unskilled or even less skilled. It is only true to say that they are able to contribute less. Either because they earn less for whatever reason and/or they require more aid initially for the reasons stated.

There is no indication that immigration is associated with crime.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Strangely quiet on ‘40s views’?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I will go back to my view the OP isn't xenophobic per se, but has had his fear stoked up by the media and selective reporting.

Feelings often trump facts. Partly because we believ our feelings are built on facts whereas we haven't stopped to see if we have all the facts and data.

It's a trap we all fall into.

The question is how much do we wish to engage with understanding data, and how much do we stick with cherry picking / being force feed cherries.

I'd take that pint if you also want to talk about how to challenge data being presented in the media "

I'm not saying he's xenophobic. I've no idea what he really thinks.

But he is writing xenophobic posts.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Strangely quiet on ‘40s views’? "

Just a point in the past when people were worried about foreigners.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I personally don't know if your comments are prejudiced or not but it may help if there was evidence to your claim about foreigners and crime. I learnt yesterday that although some figures are kept on tax issues of immigrants the crime figures are more ethnic group based. This makes it hard to know the true scale of crimes committed by foreigners. It may be deliberate to not keep specific records but maybe not. If you had some evidence then to me it's not prejudiced. Some may disagree if figures show foreigners commit more crime and say it should not be highlighted or discussed but that's another topic.

Some really interesting points thanks. I often wonder what people of colour in the UK make of white people discussing racism, possibly a mixture of irritation and hilarity with much eye rolling involved. I perfectly accept that as a white guy in a predominantly white society I am in no position to comment. I have had many a lengthy discussion with people of all ethnicities and it’s been fascinating. I worked in a multi culti office in Luton for eight years and met many lovely people. One woman from Eritrea who I keep in contact with, purely platonic you understand, she set the tone and culture of the office. I would say she is / was the most inspiring human being I have ever met.

I had to investigate a complaint from two Polish workers against a Bangladeshi as he called them “fucking Poles”. I had to investigate ‘kill Muslims’ written on pallets in the warehouse. Turns out it was the guy that made the complaint that was doing it.

I do not have a prejudice bone in my body, I have never met anyone racist or xenophobic. I would imagine them to be unsavoury characters and best avoided.

Thanks again."

Sounds like you have been in the position of finding out who did what following complaints at work. I do not envy you for that. On the whole I feel this is a very welcoming country. Yes there are those that see all those arriving as bad but then again there are those that see them all as good. I do disagree with one bit of your post. You say as a white guy in a white society you are not in a position to comment. Everyone, regardless of colour should be able to pass comment and importantly not be abused or shut down. When people are to worried about raising concerns it makes the situation worse.

Post new Message to Thread