Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

Brexit benefit

Jump to newest

By *ickeyandmouse OP   Couple
over a year ago

nr Alicante

We don’t live in the UK but mainland Spain and hence am not aware of everything in the media.

However , can someone point out a major Brexit benefit , or more than one ,that has been achieved ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

*Gets the popcorn*

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Nothing thus far. They appointed Jacob Rees Mogg as minister for BO (Brexit Opportunities), I'm sure with a huge team of people working on it, they'll find something.

By *uninlondon69Man
over a year ago

Lewisham

Looking at the queues around Dover, we've definitely ended freedom of movement!

over a year ago

nr Alicante

"Nothing thus far. They appointed Jacob Rees Mogg as minister for BO (Brexit Opportunities), I'm sure with a huge team of people working on it, they'll find something."

“they’ll find something” ! I thought they would be a mountain of things/ benefits ready to be agreed on / signed/ handshakes etc Seems to be taking a long time. Were the Brexiteers exaggerating , surely not.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

On the very first day of Brexit freedom, that nice Mr Sunak abolished the tax on women's sanitary products. Given the amount of "tampon tax" protesting that went on over the years, surely that must be a major benefit.

OK, it doesn't seem like that much of a benefit to me, but then I'm male so I might be wrong.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"On the very first day of Brexit freedom, that nice Mr Sunak abolished the tax on women's sanitary products. Given the amount of "tampon tax" protesting that went on over the years, surely that must be a major benefit.

OK, it doesn't seem like that much of a benefit to me, but then I'm male so I might be wrong."

This was in the works prior to brexit. It would have been through in 2017, was delayed with brexit.

So technically a disbenefit.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"On the very first day of Brexit freedom, that nice Mr Sunak abolished the tax on women's sanitary products. Given the amount of "tampon tax" protesting that went on over the years, surely that must be a major benefit.

OK, it doesn't seem like that much of a benefit to me, but then I'm male so I might be wrong.

This was in the works prior to brexit. It would have been through in 2017, was delayed with brexit.

So technically a disbenefit."

I struggle to see how a policy that has nothing to do with the EU or leaving it, would be marked as a benefit of Brexit...

Surely that's just regular governance...

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

blue passports

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I can tell you that Brexit benefited from, Covid.

I was waiting for the lid to come off over all the false promises, hopefully watch Johnson having to face up to his lies..

Covid got in the way.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

OK, it doesn't seem like that much of a benefit to me, but then I'm male so I might be wrong."

"This was in the works prior to brexit. It would have been through in 2017, was delayed with brexit."

That is incorrect. The government pledged to scrap the tampon tax in 2016, after the result of the referendum came through. They were unable to do so before 2021 because EU law requires that VAT be charged on women's sanitary products.

over a year ago

nr Alicante

"I can tell you that Brexit benefited from, Covid.

I was waiting for the lid to come off over all the false promises, hopefully watch Johnson having to face up to his lies..

Covid got in the way."

Yes very much agree with you

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

That is incorrect. The government pledged to scrap the tampon tax in 2016, after the result of the referendum came through. They were unable to do so before 2021 because EU law requires that VAT be charged on women's sanitary products."

I don't think that's accurate, we had negotiated to do it prior to brexit. And it would have happened sooner if the government didn't have the brexit clusterfuck to deal with.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I don't think that's accurate, we had negotiated to do it prior to brexit. And it would have happened sooner if the government didn't have the brexit clusterfuck to deal with."

Here's the official government announcement: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tampon-tax-abolished-from-today

And here's a Research Briefing from the House of Commons Library that gives a lot of the history: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01128/

Reading that history I've just discovered that the UK government tried to change EU law to allow no VAT, but the EU wouldn't allow it. I'm surprised.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I don't think that's accurate, we had negotiated to do it prior to brexit. And it would have happened sooner if the government didn't have the brexit clusterfuck to deal with.

Here's the official government announcement: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tampon-tax-abolished-from-today

And here's a Research Briefing from the House of Commons Library that gives a lot of the history: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01128/

Reading that history I've just discovered that the UK government tried to change EU law to allow no VAT, but the EU wouldn't allow it. I'm surprised."

Is it a similar law to the VAT on gas and electricity bills? Apparently it is possible now to scrap it but so far it's not happened

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Reading that history I've just discovered that the UK government tried to change EU law to allow no VAT, but the EU wouldn't allow it. I'm surprised.

Is it a similar law to the VAT on gas and electricity bills? Apparently it is possible now to scrap it but so far it's not happened"

Yeah but the Tampon Tax elimination only cost the treasury £15 million by their own estimates, I imagine the energy cost would be a LOT higher.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Yeah but the Tampon Tax elimination only cost the treasury £15 million by their own estimates, I imagine the energy cost would be a LOT higher."

I don't think there should be VAT on anything that is essential, that includes all utilities (including broadband and mobile phones)

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

Is it a similar law to the VAT on gas and electricity bills? Apparently it is possible now to scrap it but so far it's not happened"

Two reasons for this mate, loss in revenue and I am fairly sure that due to the arrangements around Northern Ireland remaining partially in the EU so to speak that if the vat rate was dropped in the rest of the UK this would not be the case in NI, which obviously would not go down to well and would cause more strain on a already weak union at this moment in time.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Is it a similar law to the VAT on gas and electricity bills? Apparently it is possible now to scrap it but so far it's not happened

Two reasons for this mate, loss in revenue and I am fairly sure that due to the arrangements around Northern Ireland remaining partially in the EU so to speak that if the vat rate was dropped in the rest of the UK this would not be the case in NI, which obviously would not go down to well and would cause more strain on a already weak union at this moment in time."

That does sound like a reasonable explanation. Am I right in saying that despite the mentioned problems this is now possible in the it at least?

By *eanoCoolMan
over a year ago

wisbech

Two reasons for this mate, loss in revenue and I am fairly sure that due to the arrangements around Northern Ireland remaining partially in the EU so to speak that if the vat rate was dropped in the rest of the UK this would not be the case in NI, which obviously would not go down to well and would cause more strain on a already weak union at this moment in time.

That does sound like a reasonable explanation. Am I right in saying that despite the mentioned problems this is now possible in the it at least?"

Yes its possible now mate.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Reading that history I've just discovered that the UK government tried to change EU law to allow no VAT, but the EU wouldn't allow it. I'm surprised."

I saw those.

Cameron proposed it in 2016, and it was due for reform which would have happened in 2017 if it wasn't for brexit.

I can't post links but if you Google. "Period poverty: UK becomes latest country to abolish taxes on women's sanitary products". You'll find an article that discusses it.

I agree that it's a positive to remove VAT from these, as they're not luxury items. Would have been nice if it hadn't been held up by brexit.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"I can't post links but if you Google. "Period poverty: UK becomes latest country to abolish taxes on women's sanitary products". You'll find an article that discusses it."

We've done this before, you absolutely can post links to reputable news sites.

That article doesn't discuss the issue, it just quotes Gemma Abbot from the Free Periods campaign group as saying that she thinks the EU reform was held up by Brexit.

Given that the EU took 2 years to come up with draft proposals (which didn't allow zero rating women's sanitary products), and that they've done nothing with it for the past 4 years, I'm going to say that Brexit wasn't a major factor in delaying it.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I can't post links but if you Google. "Period poverty: UK becomes latest country to abolish taxes on women's sanitary products". You'll find an article that discusses it.

That article doesn't discuss the issue, it just quotes Gemma Abbot from the Free Periods campaign group as saying that she thinks the EU reform was held up by Brexit.

Given that the EU took 2 years to come up with draft proposals (which didn't allow zero rating women's sanitary products), and that they've done nothing with it for the past 4 years, I'm going to say that Brexit wasn't a major factor in delaying it."

Maybe brexit didn't delay it. Maybe it did. But this can't be claimed as a brexit benefit.

Let's just cut to the end with sharing links.

Me - someone will report me and I'll get a ban, it's happened many times.

You - no you can do it.

Me - I can't. I'll get a ban.

You - here's a link.

Me - you don't have pro Tories hounding you via PM with nasty shit, reporting you trying to get you banned all the time.

You - no just post a link.

Me - nope, I don't want to.

Everyone else gets bored and the thread dies.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I can't post links but if you Google. "Period poverty: UK becomes latest country to abolish taxes on women's sanitary products". You'll find an article that discusses it.

Given that the EU took 2 years to come up with draft proposals (which didn't allow zero rating women's sanitary products), and that they've done nothing with it for the past 4 years, I'm going to say that Brexit wasn't a major factor in delaying it.

Maybe brexit didn't delay it. Maybe it did. But this can't be claimed as a brexit benefit.

Let's just cut to the end with sharing links.

Me - someone will report me and I'll get a ban, it's happened many times.

You - no you can do it.

Me - I can't. I'll get a ban.

You - here's a link.

Me - you don't have pro Tories hounding you via PM with nasty shit, reporting you trying to get you banned all the time.

You - no just post a link.

Me - nope, I don't want to.

Everyone else gets bored and the thread dies.

"

I to have gotten reported for posting links to what I deem reputable news sources. Unless they are the very specific list in the forum rules you cannot guarentee that a Forum Mod will also consider it a legitimate news site.

So unless it is on that specific list it is not safe to use.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Maybe brexit didn't delay it. Maybe it did. But this can't be claimed as a brexit benefit."

Why can't it be counted as a Brexit benefit?

Regardless of whether the EU law change would have been made or not, the fact is that EU law as it stands does not allow zero-rating women's sanitary products. Brexit has removed us from that regulatory regime, and allowed us to do something that a lot of people wanted.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"Maybe brexit didn't delay it. Maybe it did. But this can't be claimed as a brexit benefit.

Why can't it be counted as a Brexit benefit?

Regardless of whether the EU law change would have been made or not, the fact is that EU law as it stands does not allow zero-rating women's sanitary products. Brexit has removed us from that regulatory regime, and allowed us to do something that a lot of people wanted."

It's not a brexit benefit because it was due to happen anyway. In fact probably would have happened sooner.

Removing us from the EU regulations is overall a huge negative of brexit. It removes a lot of positive regulations that benefit British people. And we still have to meet a lot of the regs to trade with Europe, but we gave up our say on them by walking away.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"It's not a brexit benefit because it was due to happen anyway. In fact probably would have happened sooner."

Sigh.

So we have to postpone this discussion for 10 years to see if it "would have happened anyway".

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

I think if a policy which saved the British public £15 million a year (the govt's own figures) is where people are hanging their hat when it comes to the benefits of brexit... it really isn't shaping up in Brexit's favour given everything in the con column

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

"I think if a policy which saved the British public £15 million a year (the govt's own figures) is where people are hanging their hat when it comes to the benefits of brexit... it really isn't shaping up in Brexit's favour given everything in the con column"

we only need to put together another 335million on top of the saved tampon tax and that's this weeks bung to the NHS that was mentioned on boris's bus .... a clear win for brexit

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

"blue passports "

They're black.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"It's not a brexit benefit because it was due to happen anyway. In fact probably would have happened sooner.

Sigh.

So we have to postpone this discussion for 10 years to see if it "would have happened anyway"."

Or just assume that even if the proposed timeline was delayed by a couple of years, it would have happened by now.

This brexit benefit is entirely dependent on a hypothetical delay.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

"blue passports

They're black. "

don't tell the home secretary that .... she spent £53 million on the website

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/iconic-blue-passports-return-next-month

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"I think if a policy which saved the British public £15 million a year (the govt's own figures) is where people are hanging their hat when it comes to the benefits of brexit... it really isn't shaping up in Brexit's favour given everything in the con column"

In fairness, he was challenged with finding a benefit, even if it's tenuous and dwarfed by the brexit losses.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"we only need to put together another 335million on top of the saved tampon tax and that's this weeks bung to the NHS that was mentioned on boris's bus .... a clear win for brexit"

That's the spirit!

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I think if a policy which saved the British public £15 million a year (the govt's own figures) is where people are hanging their hat when it comes to the benefits of brexit... it really isn't shaping up in Brexit's favour given everything in the con column

In fairness, he was challenged with finding a benefit, even if it's tenuous and dwarfed by the brexit losses."

Yeah I suppose if someone asked you to find a car and you showed up with a hot wheels it still counts.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

"I think if a policy which saved the British public £15 million a year (the govt's own figures) is where people are hanging their hat when it comes to the benefits of brexit... it really isn't shaping up in Brexit's favour given everything in the con column

In fairness, he was challenged with finding a benefit, even if it's tenuous and dwarfed by the brexit losses.

Yeah I suppose if someone asked you to find a car and you showed up with a hot wheels it still counts."

wash your mouth out! hot wheels are american

if you're going to use a metaphor then use a british metaphor

dinky toys

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

Yeah I suppose if someone asked you to find a car and you showed up with a hot wheels it still counts.

wash your mouth out! hot wheels are american

if you're going to use a metaphor then use a british metaphor

dinky toys "

I didn't play with either...

Which in hindsight, makes a lot more sense now!

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Cheaper parts from Italy with the strong pound, Ohh wait, they can't even get the materials (been waiting 12 months) and still no delivery date. Now a UK company is getting the work, they can give a delivery date.

Selling parts into Denmark and Norway who arranged their own VAT collection was a doddle when we were in the EU, now out of it, still they pay no VAT, but the EU made it more complex for them.

No stupid limits to when you become an importer as some French customers have found out when the French shippers refused to deliver to them as they exceeded the limit in a 12 month period. The limit is not that high, and prevents some restoring their vehicles.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

3 new jobs for the french economy, staffing the 3 extra passport control booths at dover.

a blatent brexit win

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

"blue passports "

That are made in an EU country....

By *rLibertineMan
over a year ago

North Suffolk

more time to enjoy the views and scenery as you come into Dover if travelling at peak times?

It is lovely at this time of year….??

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Disabled drivers are being warned that their blue badges may not be accepted in popular European holiday destinations this summer due to Brexit.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/25/disabled-uk-drivers-told-blue-badges-may-not-be-accepted-in-eu-due-to-brexit

Another probable Brexit win on the way.

Proof that Brexit doesn’t discriminate, everyone get treated the same….

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

So far in this thread it seems the only tangible/measurable benefit is the removal of VAT from tampons etc amounting to c.£15m saving.

Certainly worth the £50bn divorce bill and the 4% permanent hit to the economy!

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

Saying that having Jacob Reece-Smugg as Minister for BO does give me a chuckle so add another 50p to the pot.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wages are finally going up as employers are realising they can no longer get unlimited low cost labour from abroad

By *irldnCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Wages are finally going up as employers are realising they can no longer get unlimited low cost labour from abroad "

Won’t last. Just wait for those free trade deals with places like India. They will have strings attached.

over a year ago

"Wages are finally going up as employers are realising they can no longer get unlimited low cost labour from abroad "

Is that due to Brexit ? If so , you can blame Brexit for the chronic staff shortages through the country

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Is that due to Brexit ? If so , you can blame Brexit for the chronic staff shortages through the country "

Only if you accept that wages going up is a Brexit benefit.

over a year ago

"Is that due to Brexit ? If so , you can blame Brexit for the chronic staff shortages through the country

Only if you accept that wages going up is a Brexit benefit."

Yes, I accept that Brexit has helped caused chronic shortages of staff, which in turn has helped to increase wages for some .

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"Is that due to Brexit ? If so , you can blame Brexit for the chronic staff shortages through the country"

"Only if you accept that wages going up is a Brexit benefit."

"Yes, I accept that Brexit has helped caused chronic shortages of staff, which in turn has helped to increase wages for some . "

Hooray! That's 2 benefits we've found.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Is that due to Brexit ? If so , you can blame Brexit for the chronic staff shortages through the country

Yes, I accept that Brexit has helped caused chronic shortages of staff, which in turn has helped to increase wages for some .

Hooray! That's 2 benefits we've found."

I feel a challenge is needed on this newly identified benefit, before it is etched into stone....

The wage increases have led to price rises in hotels, restaurants and bars that we are having to pay for. It has also meant closures for business that have not been able to find the workforce or have not been able pass on the uplift without suffering a downturn in business.

Massive own goal, not a benefit

over a year ago

Hooray! That's 2 benefits we've found.

I feel a challenge is needed on this newly identified benefit, before it is etched into stone....

The wage increases have led to price rises in hotels, restaurants and bars that we are having to pay for. It has also meant closures for business that have not been able to find the workforce or have not been able pass on the uplift without suffering a downturn in business.

Massive own goal, not a benefit

"

Party pooper

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"So far in this thread it seems the only tangible/measurable benefit is the removal of VAT from tampons etc amounting to c.£15m saving.

Certainly worth the £50bn divorce bill and the 4% permanent hit to the economy!"

This benefit was debunked.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Below inflation wage increases, are not much of a benefit.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

I think this might be a benefit, a learning.

We learnt referendums are not very good and should never be used to decide important things that need considered thought and facts.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"So far in this thread it seems the only tangible/measurable benefit is the removal of VAT from tampons etc amounting to c.£15m saving.

Certainly worth the £50bn divorce bill and the 4% permanent hit to the economy!"

"This benefit was debunked."

I don't think it was, it was just disagreed with, by one poster.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Certainly worth the £50bn divorce bill and the 4% permanent hit to the economy!

This benefit was debunked.

I don't think it was, it was just disagreed with, by one poster."

It would have happened without brexit, and probably sooner.

So claiming it as a brexit benefit is a stretch, even by brexit standards.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

There's none so blind as those that will not see.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

"There's none so blind as those that will not see."

You know you've go no where left to argue when you resort to trying to use Bible quotes to put someone down.

In any case. In real life, this isn't a brexit benefit.

It would be great if there were some. Even if they don't come close to balancing the extensive catalogue of disbenefits and problems caused by brexit.

It would be nice if there was something.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

FFS

I clicked because I thought the OP had actually found one.

Are brexit benefit claims any less of a crime than Blair's WMD ?

By *moothCriminal_xMan
over a year ago

Redditch

In fact Cameron won it as a concession from the EU before brexit happened.

By *moothCriminal_xMan
over a year ago

Redditch

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

MDNA sold at places like this summer’s music festivals is now more contaminated with other substances and synthetic psychoactive drugs due to Brexit related disruptions of the supply chain…

Meaning that you now cannot tell if these are now safe to take….

Regardless of whether you should take illegal drugs or not …. (Something you are not going to be able to stop)…….

Brexit benefit or not ….. Discuss…

By *rDiscretionXXXMan
over a year ago

Gilfach

"MDNA sold at places like this summer’s music festivals is now more contaminated with other substances and synthetic psychoactive drugs due to Brexit related disruptions of the supply chain…

Regardless of whether you should take illegal drugs or not …. (Something you are not going to be able to stop)…….

Brexit benefit or not ….. Discuss…"

Definitely a bad thing, MDMA is pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. It becoming more dangerous is not going to stop people taking it, it'll just mean that more of them have a bad experience.

Is Brexit really disrupting the illegal drug supply chain?

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 27/07/22 16:51:59]

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"MDNA sold at places like this summer’s music festivals is now more contaminated with other substances and synthetic psychoactive drugs due to Brexit related disruptions of the supply chain…

Definitely a bad thing, MDMA is pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. It becoming more dangerous is not going to stop people taking it, it'll just mean that more of them have a bad experience.

Is Brexit really disrupting the illegal drug supply chain?"

By the description it is only affecting the supply of the stuff which isn't as dangerous... If there are still drugs available there is still a functional supply chain

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

There is a benefit for the government.

They have been promising for 12 years to make your life better .

They can now promise to bring Brexit benefits on top of those we’ve been waiting for, err well for 12 years.

The benefit of having more promises to make.

I knew I’d get there in the end . My work is done.

Phew .

I could lead this country. This promise lark is easy . No idea what all the fuss is about,

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

Is Brexit really disrupting the illegal drug supply chain?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61734334

By *angolinMan
over a year ago

London

Brexit benefit or not ….. Discuss…"

That’s an interesting one… although I guess that the production is impacted by supply chain constraints, the same constraints could be impacting more positive things which would negate the impact…

By *coptoCouple
over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"We learnt referendums are not very good and should never be used to decide important things that need considered thought and facts"

Nah, the plebiscite (referendum) “The office of the President of the Reich is unified with the office of the Chancellor. Consequently all former powers of the President of the Reich are transmitted to the Führer and Chancellor of the Reich Adolf Hitler. He himself nominates his substitute. Do you, German man and German woman, approve of this regulation provided by this law?” didn’t work out too badly, did it?

By *ayturners turn hayMan
over a year ago

Wellingborugh

"We don’t live in the UK but mainland Spain and hence am not aware of everything in the media.

However , can someone point out a major Brexit benefit , or more than one ,that has been achieved ?"

. This list is endless - here is a very major one .

The result is a heap of new legislation

and rules designed to ensure London

and the economy thrive. Among the

new proposals to join earlier published

plans (Lord Hill’s listing rules review,

the UK Prospectus review, and a long

term assets fund project) are the

Financial Services and Markets Bill,

and the UK Secondary Capital Raising

Review by Mark Austin.

The aim of the financial services

bill is to enhance the competitiveness

of UK financial services by repeal ing hundreds of EU retained laws and

to create a regime that works with

financial services firms, not against

them, where rules can be amended or

ditched if they are hampering the latter.

Ministers want firm-friendly outcomes,

principles-based regulation, and to

make growth and competitiveness addi tional key objectives for regulators.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"We don’t live in the UK but mainland Spain and hence am not aware of everything in the media.

However , can someone point out a major Brexit benefit , or more than one ,that has been achieved ?. This list is endless - here is a very major one .

Review by Mark Austin.

"

It may have been the formatting, but I didnt actually see a solid benefit in there? Anyone?

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

However , can someone point out a major Brexit benefit , or more than one ,that has been achieved ?. This list is endless - here is a very major one .

Review by Mark Austin.

"

I'd love to read the full article. Assume it's the one titled "New rules, new risks"

over a year ago

Ireland in in the eu and we’ve zero vat on womens sanitary products. If we can do it within the regulatory regime surely it can’t be counted as a benefit of brexit!

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"Ireland in in the eu and we’ve zero vat on womens sanitary products. If we can do it within the regulatory regime surely it can’t be counted as a benefit of brexit!"

I may be wrong but when reading up on the claim before I read that ireland has 0% because it had 0% before the new EU VAT laws came into place, so were not forced to raise the rate.

(Good on Ireland for that btw)

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Eastbourne

Shame it hasn't worked in the aviation sector, all the new jobs were advertised with a salary less than when people left the airport. Could that be a contributing factor to the staff shortages?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/07/22 23:14:40]

over a year ago

"Ireland in in the eu and we’ve zero vat on womens sanitary products. If we can do it within the regulatory regime surely it can’t be counted as a benefit of brexit!

I may be wrong but when reading up on the claim before I read that ireland has 0% because it had 0% before the new EU VAT laws came into place, so were not forced to raise the rate.

(Good on Ireland for that btw)"

Absolutely, there was the foresight to support women prior to any rules being enforced. There was nothing to stop the uk doing the same prior to 2015. But in 2016 I think they (uk) tabled a vote in the eu parliament and won it to ensure that all female sanitary products would have a maximum of 5% tax on products. As I say that was voted through and everyone was happy until…….

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

"Ireland in in the eu and we’ve zero vat on womens sanitary products. If we can do it within the regulatory regime surely it can’t be counted as a benefit of brexit!

(Good on Ireland for that btw)"

But surely Ireland can't do their own thing in the EU, that's why we had to leave wasn't it

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

Two reasons for this mate, loss in revenue and I am fairly sure that due to the arrangements around Northern Ireland remaining partially in the EU so to speak that if the vat rate was dropped in the rest of the UK this would not be the case in NI, which obviously would not go down to well and would cause more strain on a already weak union at this moment in time."

Looks like sunak is advocating scrapping the VAT after all though for 1 year only. But of a turn around

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Review by Mark Austin.

"

But are there any benefits of brexit that are real?

By *moothCriminal_xMan
over a year ago

Redditch

Review by Mark Austin.

"

We have the worst performing economy in the G7 and have done for 12 years

What happened 12 years ago?

It has gotten worse since brexit and is forecast to be even worse in the future

By *ackal1Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

Think this sums it up nicely. Winning all the way..

https://youtu.be/hSOg8MH8tQs

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

I did try to tell people . But it’s ok we have “taken back control”.

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

all around

Review by Mark Austin.

But are there any benefits of brexit that are real?"

Of course

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

paying 50% more in the UK than in european countries for the same products at pan-european retailers ..... clearly a huge brexit win

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

Review by Mark Austin.

But are there any benefits of brexit that are real?

Of course"

Why are they secret? No one seems willing or able to name any!

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

The Brexit benefit was the friends we made along the way!

Post new Message to Thread