Login here

Back to forum list
Back to Politics

The Lionesses “too white “

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Is it an issue or just a concern to white liberals at the BBC?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Is it an issue or just a concern to white liberals at the BBC? "

I guess it depends if the players in the team are the best available in the view of the management or not. If there is non white players that the manager is deliberately not including simply due to the colour of their skin then yes it's a concern. I have not heard of anything to suggest that is true, so on the face of it no problem. Best of luck to them in the tournament

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Their shorts are too white

over a year ago

"Is it an issue or just a concern to white liberals at the BBC?

I guess it depends if the players in the team are the best available in the view of the management or not. If there is non white players that the manager is deliberately not including simply due to the colour of their skin then yes it's a concern. I have not heard of anything to suggest that is true, so on the face of it no problem. Best of luck to them in the tournament"

They are playing really well, have to be the favourites to win

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

The men's team is racially diverse, is it not reasonable to ask what barriers are in place that are stopping the women's being the same?

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

I guess it depends if the players in the team are the best available in the view of the management or not. If there is non white players that the manager is deliberately not including simply due to the colour of their skin then yes it's a concern. I have not heard of anything to suggest that is true, so on the face of it no problem. Best of luck to them in the tournament"

Well, it's not really about the quality of the players currently available so much as whether the system puts off young women of colour.

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

I guess it depends if the players in the team are the best available in the view of the management or not. If there is non white players that the manager is deliberately not including simply due to the colour of their skin then yes it's a concern. I have not heard of anything to suggest that is true, so on the face of it no problem. Best of luck to them in the tournament

Well, it's not really about the quality of the players currently available so much as whether the system puts off young women of colour.

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth. "

(Applaud)

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

It's also find it offensive that it has taken this long to become mainstream for girls in general.

Having taken my daughter to her first Women's Euro as well as trips to see her Women's team.

Although I ain't into football, to see her enjoy a match without the macho idiots shouting profanity and looking for fights.

I don't think the issue is England, its the perception of the girls as it seems local teams are also not diverse, due to lack of players of different ethnicity.

My daughter has taken a lot of "girls don't play football" stick and stigma from family and friends but has risen over it.

She trains with around another 15 teams, and there, young players are predominantly white. Hopefully, now its becoming more mainstream, it will attract attention.

I just hope clubs realise how much revenue they've missed out on over the last decades.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth. "

As far as the tournament goes, I think picking the best available is very important for the manager. Like I say, if the manager has excluded non white players due to their colour of skin then obviously that's a problem. I don't know much about the players so not sure if there are any obvious omissions of non white players. What barriers are there to non white girls playing football? I am not aware of any restrictions on girls playing football due to their colour.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

A lot of the men's team of guess we're playing football in the street morning noon and night. That's accessible regardless of where you live and how much money and time your family have.

I see that less with girls and when I watch the women's games they look very well drilled like they've been trained from the moment they started playing football.

I'm purel guessing but women's football has the feel of being between men's football and rugby in terms of accessibility....

By *rFunBoyMan
over a year ago

Longridge

There aren't any barriers at club and training level.

There is one Indian and two Muslim girls at my daughters training and matches, but this is out of 35 in the 3x groups there are.

I have seen it where family telling girls they are not allowed to go as "it is not appropriate for girls". To the point the kid has begged to go but to be told "no".

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

"There aren't any barriers at club and training level.

There is one Indian and two Muslim girls at my daughters training and matches, but this is out of 35 in the 3x groups there are.

I have seen it where family telling girls they are not allowed to go as "it is not appropriate for girls". To the point the kid has begged to go but to be told "no"."

This is my opinion. Yes agree with this poster . Perhaps due to cultural differences. I think best summed up by the 2002 ? Film Bend it like Beckham. ? If others have watched and note date of film release if I am correct ?

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

The women's Africa cup of nations is playing at the moment I don't hear them talking about the lack of diversity there.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth.

As far as the tournament goes, I think picking the best available is very important for the manager. Like I say, if the manager has excluded non white players due to their colour of skin then obviously that's a problem. I don't know much about the players so not sure if there are any obvious omissions of non white players. What barriers are there to non white girls playing football? I am not aware of any restrictions on girls playing football due to their colour. "

I don't know what the barriers are. But it seems like a fair shout for the FA to look into it.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

As far as the tournament goes, I think picking the best available is very important for the manager. Like I say, if the manager has excluded non white players due to their colour of skin then obviously that's a problem. I don't know much about the players so not sure if there are any obvious omissions of non white players. What barriers are there to non white girls playing football? I am not aware of any restrictions on girls playing football due to their colour.

I don't know what the barriers are. But it seems like a fair shout for the FA to look into it."

I eman the FA has a long history of issues when it comes to race. wouldn't be surprising to learn there are more.

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I don't know what the barriers are. But it seems like a fair shout for the FA to look into it."

It would not hurt to look into it. The women's game has not had enough publicity for a long time but of course that affects white and non white women the same. They need to address barriers to non white women playing football if they are found to exist. Equally if none exist that should also be highlighted

over a year ago

Why is it an issue. We have four lads from ethnic minorities as our relay runners for Team GB, no one bats an eyelid, because they are our 4 best sprinters. There have been plenty of black girls who have represented England at international level in ladies football so why would the FA block their path? I believe a Manager picks a squad to achieve success, not to keep out players due to ethnicity. If girls from minority groups are not taking the sport up as much as desired, that may be down to peer pressure, cultural issues within a community, etc. the FA can assist with trying to break those barriers if they exist.

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

"Why is it an issue. We have four lads from ethnic minorities as our relay runners for Team GB, no one bats an eyelid, because they are our 4 best sprinters. There have been plenty of black girls who have represented England at international level in ladies football so why would the FA block their path? I believe a Manager picks a squad to achieve success, not to keep out players due to ethnicity. If girls from minority groups are not taking the sport up as much as desired, that may be down to peer pressure, cultural issues within a community, etc. the FA can assist with trying to break those barriers if they exist."

This is what I was trying to highlight in my last post on this thread .

By *bernathCouple
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Go England! Go our Womens team!

Far better to watch than the Mens squad. As least you know they are consistent and can play a good tactical game.

By *kyblue1878Couple
over a year ago

Southport

Click bait piss poor reporting. Previous ladies England teams have included many ethnic player's, most of whom are now commentators or pundits or presenting football, even in the men's game.

If there's a void in the squad right now it's nothing more than coincidence or a lack in numbers playing grass roots football. Given the rise in the profile of the women's game this will be balanced out as it's going to attract more young girls into the game.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

In a squad of 23 what would be representative?

BAME (hate the term) is 13pc.

So 3-4?

What is the lionesses? At least 3

Are we comparing to the men's side and assuming the men's is representative.... Whereas it probably has a bias...

By *eroy1000Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

"Why is it an issue. We have four lads from ethnic minorities as our relay runners for Team GB, no one bats an eyelid, because they are our 4 best sprinters. There have been plenty of black girls who have represented England at international level in ladies football so why would the FA block their path? I believe a Manager picks a squad to achieve success, not to keep out players due to ethnicity. If girls from minority groups are not taking the sport up as much as desired, that may be down to peer pressure, cultural issues within a community, etc. the FA can assist with trying to break those barriers if they exist."

That's a fair comment about the relay runners. Did the BBC mention that there was no white runners? If not, why not.

over a year ago

"Why is it an issue. We have four lads from ethnic minorities as our relay runners for Team GB, no one bats an eyelid, because they are our 4 best sprinters. There have been plenty of black girls who have represented England at international level in ladies football so why would the FA block their path? I believe a Manager picks a squad to achieve success, not to keep out players due to ethnicity. If girls from minority groups are not taking the sport up as much as desired, that may be down to peer pressure, cultural issues within a community, etc. the FA can assist with trying to break those barriers if they exist..

That's a fair comment about the relay runners. Did the BBC mention that there was no white runners? If not, why not."

Not as far as I know, the talk was just on girls football.

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Why is it an issue. We have four lads from ethnic minorities as our relay runners for Team GB, no one bats an eyelid, because they are our 4 best sprinters. There have been plenty of black girls who have represented England at international level in ladies football so why would the FA block their path? I believe a Manager picks a squad to achieve success, not to keep out players due to ethnicity. If girls from minority groups are not taking the sport up as much as desired, that may be down to peer pressure, cultural issues within a community, etc. the FA can assist with trying to break those barriers if they exist..

That's a fair comment about the relay runners. Did the BBC mention that there was no white runners? If not, why not."

I'm guessing that while it isn't too controversial to say there are some genetic factors that make a big difference in sprinting, it's less obvious there's any such reason that would affect football ability as much ... Especially as there is no obvious bias across the world.

Personally I don't think there is too much a case to answer for ... But this feels like a false equivalence and an odd line to take.

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Just the BBC virtue signalling as usual

Waste a while and saint Gary will be chiming in next

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Just the BBC virtue signalling as usual

Waste a while and saint Gary will be chiming in next

"

look on the bright side, it give the DM a chance to do their own signalling to their readership!

By *i joanneCouple
over a year ago

blackpool

I think white people that bang on about perceived racism are mentally retarded,attention seeking bores.as a white man, I don't see colour In sport I see a sportsman/woman.its become an industry for these clowns.

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I think white people that bang on about perceived racism are mentally retarded,attention seeking bores.as a white man, I don't see colour In sport I see a sportsman/woman.its become an industry for these clowns."

So to comment on racism you use ableism... Good Show!

By *AFKA HovisMan
over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I think white people that bang on about perceived racism are mentally retarded,attention seeking bores.as a white man, I don't see colour In sport I see a sportsman/woman.its become an industry for these clowns."
was it white people abnging on about it ? Or black people saying that it's a shame there are few "role models" in the team that beat Norway?

In sure if England fielded a team that included no white players, it would pass without comment ...

The way the first non English premier League first xi did ...

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

do they not feel welcome at clubs and schools now like or is this pc gone mad ?

over a year ago

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth. do they not feel welcome at clubs and schools now like or is this pc gone mad ?"

PC gone mad?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth. do they not feel welcome at clubs and schools now like or is this pc gone mad ?

PC gone mad? "

That was the term in the 90s levelled at people who spoke out against racism.

Then it was "snowflake", now it's "woke".

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

It doesn't have to be this massive adversary "PC gone mad!" issue, it can just be a case of "how can we let young black and brown girls know they are welcome to play football in schools and clubs" and so forth. do they not feel welcome at clubs and schools now like or is this pc gone mad ?

PC gone mad? "

Genuinely shocked people still use that phrase... thought they had moved on to "Woke Crusade" or some nonsense

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

PC gone mad?

Then it was "snowflake", now it's "woke"."

so is this racism?

over a year ago

PC gone mad?

Then it was "snowflake", now it's "woke".so is this racism?"

Is what racism?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan
over a year ago

golden fields

PC gone mad?

Then it was "snowflake", now it's "woke".so is this racism?"

What is?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

PC gone mad?

Then it was "snowflake", now it's "woke".so is this racism?

Is what racism? "

stop asking stupid questions all the time mate is this story racist pc gone mad or a total joke if you read my pists and who I replied to you can keep up

over a year ago

PC gone mad?

Is what racism? stop asking stupid questions all the time mate is this story racist pc gone mad or a total joke if you read my pists and who I replied to you can keep up "

Pists? No, the story isn’t racist,

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

PC gone mad?

Is what racism? stop asking stupid questions all the time mate is this story racist pc gone mad or a total joke if you read my pists and who I replied to you can keep up

Pists? No, the story isn’t racist, "

exactly so we agree then

By *heNerdyFembyWoman
over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

PC gone mad?

Is what racism? stop asking stupid questions all the time mate is this story racist pc gone mad or a total joke if you read my pists and who I replied to you can keep up "

You are asking if this is "PC Gone mad" or a "total joke"

You don't even leave an option for "Justified Commentary"

Not a very genuine question is it?

By *oxychick35Couple
over a year ago

thornaby

PC gone mad?

Is what racism? stop asking stupid questions all the time mate is this story racist pc gone mad or a total joke if you read my pists and who I replied to you can keep up

You are asking if this is "PC Gone mad" or a "total joke"

You don't even leave an option for "Justified Commentary"

Not a very genuine question is it?"

what option it’s a joke some guy said maybe black brown could be made welcome at clubs and schools I said do they not already feel welcome ? This thread is just bs in my opinion

over a year ago

PC gone mad?

Pists? No, the story isn’t racist, exactly so we agree then "

Yes, I think we do, it’s hard to tell though

Post new Message to Thread